• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 3 |OT| All Developers Dream, But Not Equally

Loudninja

Massa said:
He said it shows its linearity much more easily due to its poorly designed encounters.
I didn't fine any of the encounters poorly design, you have to be smart and use what they give you to your advantage.

Also that makes little sense anyways.

Massa

Loudninja said:
I didn't fine any of the encounters poorly design, you have to be smart and use what they give you to your advantage.

Also that makes little sense anyways.

It makes perfect sense, he even gave an example in his post. It's also been a very common complaint against this game.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
design encounter is pretty much the same as it was in uncharted 2. your first time through its pretty frustrating but once you know how to get the upper hand its a cake walk (even on crushing). the aiming does complicate things a bit though.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Loudninja said:
Eh he said its more linear than UC2 which is false.

You have more options in combat than UC2, battles are more open.

Massa is absolutely right, I have nothing against linear games. I love all the Call of Duty campaigns and they're linear as hell. But the thing is, they give you multiple options even within the linear trail they're pushing you down. UC2 did this very well. UC3 not so much. In the
cruise ship level, the fight in that ballroom was about as linear as you can get. 3 snipers up top, 2 shotgun guys flanking you, and a bunch of random enemies. You had to stick to those two massive boxes near the stage or get your face blown to smithereens. Try to jump out one way and if the shotgun didn't perforate you, the snipers would.
Where's the strategy required there? You don't really have many options. All the stealth sections were unstealth-able as well. In the
airstrip level
there are two guards standing side by side at the end who you can't stealth kill because one of them will automatically be alerted. Naughty Dog wants to force you into a fight, but they want to pretend that they're giving you a choice. They're not.

Compare this to the Village fight in UC2. So many routes you could take in that one fight. You could jump up the left side and take over the heavy machine gun. You could rambo your way down the middle. You could toss a grenade into the house on the right, use that for cover, and climb to the second floor to get an elevation advantage. You rarely ever got that kind of freedom in UC3. That fight in the
sandstorm at the end with the two machine-gun vehicles
was frustrating as hell if you didn't know what you were "supposed" to do. You rarely had that in UC2.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
ilnadmy said:
Massa is absolutely right, I have nothing against linear games. I love all the Call of Duty campaigns and they're linear as hell. But the thing is, they give you multiple options even within the linear trail they're pushing you down. UC2 did this very well. UC3 not so much. In the
cruise ship level, the fight in that ballroom was about as linear as you can get. 3 snipers up top, 2 shotgun guys flanking you, and a bunch of random enemies. You had to stick to those two massive boxes near the stage or get your face blown to smithereens. Try to jump out one way and if the shotgun didn't perforate you, the snipers would.
Where's the strategy required there? You don't really have many options. All the stealth sections were unstealth-able as well. In the
airstrip level
there are two guards standing side by side at the end who you can't stealth kill because one of them will automatically be alerted. Naughty Dog wants to force you into a fight, but they want to pretend that they're giving you a choice. They're not.

Compare this to the Village fight in UC2. So many routes you could take in that one fight. You could jump up the left side and take over the heavy machine gun. You could rambo your way down the middle. You could toss a grenade into the house on the right, use that for cover, and climb to the second floor to get an elevation advantage. You rarely ever got that kind of freedom in UC3. That fight in the
was frustrating as hell if you didn't know what you were "supposed" to do. You rarely had that in UC2.
um UC3 has many fire-fights comparable to the village in UC2 (the shipyard being just one of them). as far as linearity in the cruise ship goes you're wrong. you don't have to go to the bottom of the ballroom, in fact that strategy is completely suicide. staying under the balcony is probably your best bet to beat that part.

EloquentM said:
design encounter is pretty much the same as it was in uncharted 2. your first time through its pretty frustrating but once you know how to get the upper hand its a cake walk (even on crushing). the aiming does complicate things a bit though.

Totally disagree. Not once during my first run in Uncharted 2 did I feel as annoyed with enemy placement and enemy AI as I did with Uncharted 3. Go back to Uncharted 2 and from the first big shootout all the way through the tank battle it feels like they DESIGNED the hell out of that game. The 2nd half of Uncharted 3 feels like they just throw you into arenas with every enemy type in the game so you're forced to "keep on the move" because the battles have so much "freedom" to them. "Freedom" which comes down to memorizing enemy spawns, rushing to the power weapons, and dealing with the bullet sponges as quickly as possible while tossing back the "free grenades" coming from every angle.

Loudninja

EloquentM said:
um UC3 has many fire-fights comparable to the village in UC2 (the shipyard being just one of them). as far as linearity in the cruise ship goes you're wrong. you don't have to go to the bottom of the ballroom, in fact that strategy is completely suicide. staying under the balcony is probably your best bet to beat that part.
I agree UC2 and UC3 really have some fantastic battles.

Although I did enjoy the crazy battles in UC3 more.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
Net_Wrecker said:
Totally disagree. Not once during my first run in Uncharted 2 did I feel as annoyed with enemy placement and enemy AI as I did with Uncharted 3. Go back to Uncharted 2 and from the first big shootout all the way through the tank battle it feels like they DESIGNED the hell out of that game. The 2nd half of Uncharted 3 feels like they just throw you into arenas with every enemy type in the game so you're forced to "keep on the move" because the battles have so much "freedom" to them. "Freedom" which comes down to memorizing enemy spawns, rushing to the power weapons, and dealing with the bullet sponges as quickly as possible while tossing back the "free grenades" coming from every angle.
I don't need to go back, I replayed UC2 two days before UC3 came out. its pretty much just as frustrating and just as bullet-sponge saturated as UC3 is. the village for example is probably one of the most frustrating parts of the game. (in the turret section of the villige) there's random enemies placed everywhere and although there are many choices that you can take in that section of the game you're still bombarded with hordes of NPC's shooting you without remorse. in fact there's so many enemies in that section that you have to grenade the turret in the section 3-4 times because once you kill one soldier another mans the turret. let me not forget to mention that after everyone is throughly drowned in bullets 3 armored guys show up. I'm not even going to go into the broken tank level of the village. cool set piece on paper, not in practice.

Mikey Jr.

Whats so big about this patch anyways?

I know it will probably include the aiming fix, plus this addition of blur, but honestly, MP works pretty well for me. Haven't encountered many bugs. Hopefully its more of a feature patch than a bug fix patch.

EloquentM said:
I don't need to go back, I replayed UC2 two days before UC3 came out. its pretty much just as frustrating and just as bullet-sponge saturated as UC3 is. the village for example is probably one of the most frustrating parts of the game. (in the turret section of the villige) there's random enemies placed everywhere and although there are many choices that you can take in that section of the game you're still bombarded with hordes of NPC's shooting you without remorse. in fact there's so many enemies in that section that you have to grenade the turret in the section 3-4 times because once you kill one soldier another mans the turret. let me not forget to mention that after everyone is throughly drowned in bullets 3 armored guys show up. I'm not even going to go into the broken tank level of the village. cool set piece on paper, not in practice.

The way you feel about that section is how I feel about almost every shootout post-Chapter 11 in U3. And even then, shooting in U2 felt much more fun as enemies reacted to shots way quicker compared to the rushers, for example, in U3 who pretty much use invincibility frames when getting into cover. I played chapters 4-21 of U2 the day after I finished U3, and though I completely forgot enemy spawns and AI patterns, I found myself having a much better time, even against the armored guys.

The Chateau was one of the few combat sections I felt rivaled the best of U2. The rest of them felt like "against overwhelming odds" filler keeping me from the next set piece.

Loach

Neo Member
Dash Kappei said:
Ugh, thanks Jax. Guess I'll shelve it then.

Have you tried playing it yet? I was going to wait for the patch for the same reasons (I did full media blackout, skipped the beta etc). ND wrote to try increasing the aiming sensitivity, so I decided if there was no patch by last weekend I'd try that (as I had a full Saturday blocked out to play it). I felt it was fine after that change and was happy to play through the full game. Towards the end I even thought to myself that I was so used to the aiming I couldn't tell if there was still a problem or not.

I'm planning on playing through again once the patch is released to see what difference it makes, but that's just because I always look for reasons to play Uncharted games again.

That said, ND says they're in the final rounds of testing the patch...

Pranay

I thought it had as many open levels as uncharted 2.

So everyone what are your top Uncharted 3 moments ?

I redeemed my Network Pass on an older PS3 which I've now replaced. Trying to access the multiplayer on the new one... it asks for a code and says the one on the box is invalid. I'm using the same account though... and the old PS3 was deactivated.... shouldn't it still be working? Surely it doesn't tie to a PS3 rather than an account...

darkwing

Pazuzu9 said:
I redeemed my Network Pass on an older PS3 which I've now replaced. Trying to access the multiplayer on the new one... it asks for a code and says the one on the box is invalid. I'm using the same account though... and the old PS3 was deactivated.... shouldn't it still be working? Surely it doesn't tie to a PS3 rather than an account...
download the Online Pass from your download list

I'd say the feeling of satisfying combat was removed as soon as enemies stopped flinching when they were shot.

I didn't have this problem in UC2. In UC1, every one complained they flinched too much. In UC3, enemies don't react to bullets.

Loudninja

Man I dont know I love alot of the moments in U3.

The
The chateau sections, the ship graveyard, the cruiseship, and the caraven.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Loach said:
Have you tried playing it yet? I was going to wait for the patch for the same reasons (I did full media blackout, skipped the beta etc). ND wrote to try increasing the aiming sensitivity, so I decided if there was no patch by last weekend I'd try that (as I had a full Saturday blocked out to play it). I felt it was fine after that change and was happy to play through the full game. Towards the end I even thought to myself that I was so used to the aiming I couldn't tell if there was still a problem or not.

I'm planning on playing through again once the patch is released to see what difference it makes, but that's just because I always look for reasons to play Uncharted games again.

That said, ND says they're in the final rounds of testing the patch...
Yeah, I did try it to see if I could enjoy it.. No dice :(
I had this urgent feeling it just wasn't meant to be played that way. I have also had more of a problem with the slow-mo stickyness of autoaim than the aiming itself, thank god they're putting in some option to lower it/get rid of it.

Loach

Neo Member
Pranay_ said:
So everyone what are your top Uncharted 3 moments ?

I'm probably forgetting some, but the bits that stick out in my memory are
falling out of the plane
the start of the horse chase before you got to the cars looked pretty amazing
and
the movement when the storm hits on the ocean

Pranay

Mine would be [from each location]

->London view from the top of the building
->Playing as young nathan drake
->Cheatue Level
->Talbot Chase
->Shadow Puzzle
->Ship Graveyard
->The Ship Level [Fantastic !]
->Plane Level
->Stroll in the desert
->Whole Chapter 20
->The Atlantis of the sand View
->When Sully was shot and the hallucations appeared

UrbanRats

Best gameplay part:
ship graveyard shootout.
Best set piece/scripted part:
barrelrolling ship.
Most beautiful-to-look-at part:
airport at dawn.
I also liked
the desert and the horse/caravan parts.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
baekshi said:
no its not impossible lol
I did all of the maps, monastery is the hardest of all though.

airport and syria aren't really hard. london/boreno should be the easiest of all.
I'm the type of person that loves brutally hard gameplay that kicks your ass. I LOVE Crushing difficulty. However, that last segment of the Monastery is fucking bullshit. It's overkill to the point that it is annoyingly frustrating. What seriously got to me was the fucking armored RPG guys. Fuck that shit. The regular RPG guys are fine, but then the armored ones start appearing and ruin everything. Not to mention there's a damn brute along with his seven army of armored Shotgun/M9 guys...all of this while you're trying to defend the stupid statue from the RPG guys. The thing that really sucks is that we have a good amount of lives in that part, but if the statue falls apart, the total amount of lives decreases by 3 as if all of us died. It should only take away one life, not three. to me, right now it all boils down to luck and when it comes down to that, it seriously needs a rework.

I'm still going to keep going at it, but it's still overkill.

Edit:

I had a bug where I couldn't see my gun reticule tonight. I aimed and the reticule never showed up. lol

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
eMZOo.jpg

:( :( :( :(

rhino4evr

ilnadmy said:
airstrip level

That's not how I beat that part.

And I completely disagree with the linear combat complaint. There are plenty of options as different strategies that can be used. Not to mention large arenas to do them in.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Chinner said:
im not that very far into this game but i think they made the characters too good looking in this game lol.
it's cool, Elena balances it out

gdt

Brazil said:
Largely unnoticeable during gameplay. And it's either high-res textures or split-screen. Your call.

Personally, my brother and me have been rocking the SHIT out of splitscreen. So cool to be buddied up in ss.

ilnadmy said:
airstrip level

Um... I didn't stick to those boxes. Once I took out the hammer guy, I ran to where it fell and stuck to that area up above and started fending for my life. Booom, just shattered your linear encounter argument.

about the online / SS theory for lower poly models

would be solved by using lower LOD assets (kinda the ones we got) when 3d/SS, but retain the good quality ones when not. But they are HORRIBLY downLOD'd

I mean, spiky chin? , lowpoly cranium? spikes everywhere due to low polycount. Specially affects facial features.

But, we must admit that stuff like shadows take quite some GPU power. Still, it would have been nice to have better LOD models.

At least this shows that they did actually redo the characters/adjust polycount, and not simply rigging them for UC3 and charging for them.

jax (old)

Banned
cackhyena said:
The
Talbot chase
is the best part.

I actually hated every single one of these in the game. He was a bit sticky and stumbly and its amazing that..
nate caught up considering how agile talbot was. Was also way worse mechanically as young drake

that said I haven't replayed so...

jett

D-Member
Supposedly ND outsourced a lot of multiplayer assets, so I guess that explains the model weirdness.

6358015953_ddf1381fee_b.jpg

6358018045_a06c5d9eca_b.jpg

This is just...wat

It's also really hard to get a close-up of the characters' faces in UC3. Does ND know they're awful? :p

darkwing

it's the UC2 character models, not the maps, the Killzone trooper looks good though, i wonder if the 3D/splitscreen has something to do with it, not that i'm looking at a character that close while playing

jett

D-Member
JB1981 said:
And Jett said I was on crack for saying UC2 MP looked better than UC3 MP. lulz

You're still on crack for saying that, these faces are unnoticeable when you're playing. Everything else looks markedly better.

JohngPR

Why is this all of a sudden being mentioned? The game's been out for 17 days and all of a sudden people are appalled by this. It's like people got tired of complaining about the shooting and moved on to this.

:p

jett

D-Member
JohngPR said:
Why is this all of a sudden being mentioned? The game's been out for 17 days and all of a sudden people are appalled by this. It's like people got tired of complaining about the shooting and moved on to this.

:p

It's just something to discuss, I didn't even notice the downgraded models until those pics surfaced. :p

Top Bottom