• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 3 |OT| All Developers Dream, But Not Equally

darkwing

JohngPR said:
Why is this all of a sudden being mentioned? The game's been out for 17 days and all of a sudden people are appalled by this. It's like people got tired of complaining about the shooting and moved on to this.

:p

I'm surprised it isn't in a new thread, must be a new low

ultron87

The most annoying part of the encounter design in this game is when you stealth through an area, kill almost all the guys, and then get spotted by the last one or shoot him. This triggers 10 more guys to pour out of various nooks and crannies in the level even though you just explored said nooks and they were empty.

The most egregious example of this that I've seen so far was in one of the courtyards at the Citadel.

jett said:
btw does anyone else miss this crap from the summer beta?

added even more personality to the MP imo

Wow, I had totally forgotten about that being in the beta. Yeah, I kind of liked it, but it was one of those things that you could imagine getting old after seeing it a few hundred times. So I bet that's why it was removed.

JohngPR said:
Why is this all of a sudden being mentioned? The game's been out for 17 days and all of a sudden people are appalled by this. It's like people got tired of complaining about the shooting and moved on to this.

Yup.

JohngPR

jett said:
It's just something to discuss, I didn't even notice the downgraded models until those pics surfaced. :p

I did notice it as soon as I played. A few buddies of mine played the coop adventure and everyone initially had a "Oook...that's a weird looking Nathan Drake". Not really a big deal to me though since it was a lot of fun.

:)

Gyrian

The visual downgrades in MP don't stand out nearly as much in motion, but yeah, it's pretty bad and makes for horrible screen grabs.

I'll say again, what's most wrong about them is not the tech specs, it's bad art.
Low(er) poly and textures don't have to look ugly, but this output really doesn't look like NDI's own. This is the outsourced art.

Maybe Navarro can donate some of his huge block hair to balding Eddy. :|

In any case, we gripe because we love; at least I do. It's small in the grand scheme, but just kind of a shame.
Maybe one day the will remaster this for PS4 and use the high poly cutscene assets for everything ;|

GGs last night with Ryan and Bleach. Coop arena is tons of fun, and a big challenge in Crushing.
I still can't believe we finished airport by a hair, with no team lives for like the last 5 rounds, haha.

Finalow

ok, three team deathmatch is bugged.
when I get wins in the stat. I see my losses increased (so wins = losses). what the fuck ND? What. the. fuck.

Jax said:
6358001535_8a8352f288_b.jpg

The way the females stick their elbows out in U3 seems to be due to the change in how they are holding the guns compared to U2. In U2 they carry them similar to Snake, with the rifle butt sticking out above their forearm, instead of it being squeezed in between arm and torso.

IxTMA.jpg

Now they are holding them the same way as the males, which due to their thinner frame makes the elbows stick out more. In addition to that the right elbow of the male characters sticks out a bit more in U3, because they are holding the gun a bit closer to their chest. In U2 they hold the gun at an approximately 45° angle to their chest, whereas in U3 they hold it at an 30° angle.

I noticed and pointed out to friends that Drake looks a bit "goofy" in co-op cutscenes back in the summer beta and i noticed Lazarevich's angular head the first time i played the Airport co-op mission. It's regrettable but as Jett has said, it's not like you ever notice it during gameplay. Besides, the U3 characters still look just fine and the maps, to which i pay more attention than the back of the head of my character, look fantastic.

As for the intro/outro cutscenes from the summer beta, i miss them too. I especially liked the arrival in the helicopters on the Yemen map, which we only got to see for a few days before the beta ended. A friend speculated that they got rid of them because they didn't have time to do them for all the maps, but i really wish they kept the ones they had. Even though some might say it would have gotten old, i would prefer it to just being dropped into the map without a warning.

^^^
They hold the rifles stupidly in U3 because they use the male animation set. In U2, the girls had their own running animations to make them look like, I don't know... actual girls.

Rewrite said:
I'm the type of person that loves brutally hard gameplay that kicks your ass. I LOVE Crushing difficulty. However, that last segment of the Monastery is fucking bullshit. It's overkill to the point that it is annoyingly frustrating. What seriously got to me was the fucking armored RPG guys. Fuck that shit. The regular RPG guys are fine, but then the armored ones start appearing and ruin everything. Not to mention there's a damn brute along with his seven army of armored Shotgun/M9 guys...all of this while you're trying to defend the stupid statue from the RPG guys. The thing that really sucks is that we have a good amount of lives in that part, but if the statue falls apart, the total amount of lives decreases by 3 as if all of us died. It should only take away one life, not three. to me, right now it all boils down to luck and when it comes down to that, it seriously needs a rework.

I'm still going to keep going at it, but it's still overkill.

Edit:

I had a bug where I couldn't see my gun reticule tonight. I aimed and the reticule never showed up. lol

The best part of Monastery is when the statue blows up it doesn't even matter, the bottom part where Nate gets the next clue from is still intact.

U3 Crushing is just lazy game design. "Challenging" by just throwing as many guys as the engine can handle at the players and then slapping some armor on them.

jett said:
btw does anyone else miss this crap from the summer beta?

http://nowgamer.net-genie.co.uk/siteimage/scale/0/0/283580.gif[IMG]

added even more personality to the MP imo[/QUOTE]

I [I]hated[/I] that shit and am glad it's gone.

Yes, ND, I want to watch a useless little cutscene 15,000 times over the course of playing the MP, what a wonderful idea.

Now, if only they'd scrap the plane/train opening sequences.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
ultron87 said:
The most annoying part of the encounter design in this game is when you stealth through an area, kill almost all the guys, and then get spotted by the last one or shoot him. This triggers 10 more guys to pour out of various nooks and crannies in the level even though you just explored said nooks and they were empty.

The most egregious example of this that I've seen so far was in one of the courtyards at the Citadel.

DUDE. I played that courtyard you're talking about yesterday. I literally stealth killed EVERY SINGLE ENEMY. No one saw me. And yet, SOMEHOW, I must have triggered an invisible sarcasm-o-detector because 15 more enemies, including snipers and shotgunners, spawned and converged on my location. I mean what the hell.

ilnadmy said:
DUDE. I played that courtyard you're talking about yesterday. I literally stealth killed EVERY SINGLE ENEMY. No one saw me. And yet, SOMEHOW, I must have triggered an invisible sarcasm-o-detector because 15 more enemies, including snipers and shotgunners, spawned and converged on my location. I mean what the hell.

Did you get the guy in the 2nd floor of the building on the left? I think if you leave one guy alive and try to advance to the next part, the game says "I don't think so!" and fucks you up the ass.

Replaying this in 3D now, it's very, very good.

One question: does anyone know what screen size should I set? I play on a 104" screen, so I initially set the correct size, but I've read that it can affect the divergence (and the percieved depth), and as it stands there really isn't much depth.

Any thoughts? Should I set it lower?

Played Gears MP all day yesterday - really showed how broken the aiming mechanics are in U3 MP. The "sticky" reticule is god awful, you constantly have to fight with the controls when leading a target or switching targets. Use a scope on your rifle? I love how it slows down as you near your target, making it a pain in the ass to hit them. How the hell did this make it into the game? I don't need this kind of aim assist ND, thanks. Baffles me since U2 felt so damn good.

That being said, UC3's cover/movement system is leagues better than gears. It's just a shame the ugly character models, weird saturation/lighting, rehashed maps (not even the good ones from U2 wtf?), no 1 shot head shots in Arena, and aiming mechanics are probably gonna keep me from playing this long term. The treasure system is awesome, I love that leveling doesn't take FOREVER, and the boosters rock - but the shooting and other problems weigh the entire experience down for me.

So, it's been mentioned before, but I seriously hate duplicated treasures. Three treasures dropped one after the other in a match, and all three were the same treasure. I don't think I've been able to complete a set in a while. Plus, what really annoys me too is the pull camera. You grab a ledge and try to pull down someone, and your camera does weird and moves away from the enemy. I tried to pull someone off of a ledge in Yemen the other day, and when I tried to grab him, the camera moved to the left, and I was like, did I get him or not. I didn't see my character or the character of the other guy. That seriously needs to be fixed.

jett said:
ARGH it's so fucking stupid that going legacy resets your co-op stuff too
Yeah, that isn't cool at all. I'm dreading when I have to legacy for the first time, ugh.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
PaddyOCanager said:
Played Gears MP all day yesterday - really showed how broken the aiming mechanics are in U3 MP. The "sticky" reticule is god awful, you constantly have to fight with the controls when leading a target or switching targets. Use a scope on your rifle? I love how it slows down as you near your target, making it a pain in the ass to hit them. How the hell did this make it into the game? I don't need this kind of aim assist ND, thanks. Baffles me since U2 felt so damn good.

That being said, UC3's cover/movement system is leagues better than gears. It's just a shame the ugly character models, weird saturation/lighting, rehashed maps (not even the good ones from U2 wtf?), no 1 shot head shots in Arena, and aiming mechanics are probably gonna keep me from playing this long term. The treasure system is awesome, I love that leveling doesn't take FOREVER, and the boosters rock - but the shooting and other problems weigh the entire experience down for me.
this is the first complaints of aiming from MP i've read and it seems unwarranted. MP aiming controls perfectly and I wish the coding for it was pasted somehow in the campaign.

Himself

ultron87 said:

I stopped bothering with stealth almost immediately. It just wasn't worth it. Bummer. I had a lot of fun with it in U2.

Nekofrog

Banned
#1 defender said:
The way the females stick their elbows out in U3 seems to be due to the change in how they are holding the guns compared to U2. In U2 they carry them similar to Snake, with the rifle butt sticking out above their forearm, instead of it being squeezed in between arm and torso.

http://i.imgur.com/IxTMA.jpg

Now they are holding them the same way as the males, which due to their thinner frame makes the elbows stick out more. In addition to that the right elbow of the male characters sticks out a bit more in U3, because they are holding the gun a bit closer to their chest. In U2 they hold the gun at an approximately 45° angle to their chest, whereas in U3 they hold it at an 30° angle.

I noticed and pointed out to friends that Drake looks a bit "goofy" in co-op cutscenes back in the summer beta and i noticed Lazarevich's angular head the first time i played the Airport co-op mission. It's regrettable but as Jett has said, it's not like you ever notice it during gameplay. Besides, the U3 characters still look just fine and the maps, to which i pay more attention than the back of the head of my character, look fantastic.

As for the intro/outro cutscenes from the summer beta, i miss them too. I especially liked the arrival in the helicopters on the Yemen map, which we only got to see for a few days before the beta ended. A friend speculated that they got rid of them because they didn't have time to do them for all the maps, but i really wish they kept the ones they had. Even though some might say it would have gotten old, i would prefer it to just being dropped into the map without a warning.[/QUOTE]

The word for Snake's weapon holding is "low ready". The word for that chick's is "accident waiting to happen".

Seriously... WHY THE FUCK CAN I NOT PARTY UP WITH THE ONLY PERSON BESIDES MY BROTHER I PLANNED ON PLAYING WITH?!

We're raging here. This is fucking apalling piled up next to the other shit broken with this game.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
MoonsaultSlayer said:
Seriously... WHY THE FUCK CAN I NOT PARTY UP WITH THE ONLY PERSON BESIDES MY BROTHER I PLANNED ON PLAYING WITH?!

We're raging here. This is fucking apalling piled up next to the other shit broken with this game.
Might be a firewall issue. Have you tried having a 3rd person be the leader and then you both join him?

Ricker

Finished the game on normal last evening...the last few chapters weren`t as hard as I thought they would be,the chapter that gave me the most trouble was chapter 12...anyway,great game all around.

spats

I dreamt last night that this game had motion blur and the aiming was fixed, it was awesome.

Get your shit together ND.

this is the first complaints of aiming from MP i've read and it seems unwarranted. MP aiming controls perfectly and I wish the coding for it was pasted somehow in the campaign.

It's not really the aiming more like the aim assist I'm referring to. I played Co-op Arena for about 5 hours yesterday and it hindered me enough to notice. Let's say you have three enemies on the screen, all grouped up. Try moving your crosshair in a sweep over all three targets - your crosshair will get "stuck" moving from enemy to enemy, which really sucks given how fast paced and frantic the gunfights can be. Also, try zooming in and tracking a enemy that is running - the acceleration slows down the closer you get, which throws off your aim if they stop or if you need to make fine adjustments. It's most definitely not perfect, at least for me.

BeeDog

JUST ANNOUNCE THE PATCH CONTENTS

goddamnit

Their excuse, that the patch is still in testing, doesn't hold since the planned features/fixes should be locked down ages ago.

jax (old)

Banned
security token is missing?

did massive post. Went MIA. blah~

anyhow, MP game; not an idiot - have headset too.

huntertenK add if keen to play

BeeDog

Yeah they are just doing this for the hell of it...

At this point, it sure feels like it. Stop defending everything all the damn time. I mean, if the patch is in testing already, then they already know what fixes are intended to be in this patch and it would alleviate a lot of fears if they simply just announced it.

jax (old)

Banned
It's not really the aiming more like the aim assist I'm referring to. I played Co-op Arena for about 5 hours yesterday and it hindered me enough to notice. Let's say you have three enemies on the screen, all grouped up. Try moving your crosshair in a sweep over all three targets - your crosshair will get "stuck" moving from enemy to enemy, which really sucks given how fast paced and frantic the gunfights can be. Also, try zooming in and tracking a enemy that is running - the acceleration slows down the closer you get, which throws off your aim if they stop or if you need to make fine adjustments. It's most definitely not perfect, at least for me.

this is bullshit. because there isn't any aiming issues in the MP game.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
I'd rather a patch be thoroughly tested than just rushed out to please the impatient; any sort of significant code change runs the risk of making things worse not better.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
At this point, it sure feels like it. Stop defending everything all the damn time. I mean, if the patch is in testing already, then they already know what fixes are intended to be in this patch and it would alleviate a lot of fears if they simply just announced it.

I don't think you understand SCEA's certification process...

jax (old)

Banned

:p

well, maybe its because I happen to be reading the ND forum and saw the comparison and thought it was worth a look at? I find your attitude quite annoying.

ARGH it's so fucking stupid that going legacy resets your co-op stuff too

yeah, too have to do it 3x times. urgh. and I miss my cluster grenade in the coop game.

saw someone who was tier 3 legacy with fat talbot. I was shocked someone's levelled enough to get to tier 3.

Loudninja

Yesterdays tweet
@Christakis_ We're still testing. It's a biggie. Details as soon as everything is vetted.
https://twitter.com/#!/ericmonacelli/status/137655238143393792

What am I defending?

You are being very impatient and assuming things.

If they announced what was in a patch, which then failed a test, they might have to go back and remove some things they intended to put in, so that they could be worked on further. Then the patch would release and people would complain that the patch didn't fix all the stuff they announced.

jax (old)

Banned
regardless; they really shouldn't even be patching a game that's gone gold. and that said, what's worse? patching the aiming in a game that had it perfect more or less in the 1st sequel. its a bit.... ... wrong

bugs+ whatnot:

subway beta MP reset to 1
no motion blur
no bonus features
aiming problems.
MP models downgrade.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.

Indeed, it is very frustrating. Almost ruined the Shipyard for me. Almost.

I stopped bothering with stealth almost immediately. It just wasn't worth it. Bummer. I had a lot of fun with it in U2.

Indeed, it is very frustrating. Almost ruined the Shipyard for me. Almost.

All of this. I was planning to go all in for stealth when I started the game but realized the game wasn't going to play to those rules. And yes, the Shipyard was the worst, especially when I tried to reload but was saved to AFTER I was caught.

Stealth was fucking worthless in this game for the most part. I could maybe get a couple of guys down before the patterns changed or two other dudes I couldn't possibly have seen notice me, and I end up stuck in a shootout.

It REALLY let me down. Stealthing in U2 was almost like a puzzle, whereas in U3 it's just chaos. As has been said before, enemy placement is a joke.

Man, the more I think about U3, the more disappointed I am...and yet somehow it's STILL a great game! I guess my hopes were just TOO high...

Kinyou

You guys made major use of stealth in UC2? Maybe I just never got a hang of it but I always just used it to take out 3-4 guys and then had to engage the rest. Had no problem in UC3, only boring part was that there's just one kill animation when you sneak up from behind.

Overall I really liked the game. Loved the focus on the more quiet parts. Only real thing I didn't like was
yet another "Elena love story". I mean it worked in the second game, but yet again? There's no reason to think "oh this time they'll stay together" because apparently they start to magically hate each other between each game. Overall could have the game make more use of new characters instead of relying on the established ones

Stoffinator

You guys seen the new DLC maps? Fort and Ice Cave redone for U3. Look amazing.

No dates for the maps yet but it's called Flashback Map Pack #1

I rather just see new areas than to have to pay for maps I already own on another game. Seems to be a trend going around.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Just finished it, and really loved it. Once I got used to the aiming, I had no issues. Well, one. I normally don't complain about the ridiculousness of stories, but the
desert was really stupid. They should have had him find SOME water or something. I mean he goes from hallucinating to climbing out of wells.
It's fine...in the scheme of things, it's so unimportant. And everything else was really well done. But that stuck out to me.

Favorite scenes were too many to count. The only hiccup I hit was in the
ship graveyard
, which I thought was a touch too hard. BUT I liked the sheer number of options the game gave you for scenes like that, which is why I was surprised people were complaining about scenario linearity.

This game is going to look ridiculous with motion blur.

I was able to beat a few sections completely with stealth, but I mainly used it for ammo refills.

I thought the game had a great pace to it. The first half was a lot of exploration and exposition, and the second was a lot of shooting. I felt like I got equal tastes of the great parts of the things I like.

reKon

Banned
I loved the shipgrave yard part.

It kind of reminded me of this part in Uncharted 2 (where you had to get to the bottom of that building, so you had to swing around and take out the enemies from different points:

15325d1294239477-book-review-art-uncharted-2-gompa-fina-vista-cc_upsize.jpg

For the shipyard, everything was just so open and each time I died, I went played through that area differently. It really set up for for was some dynamic, engaging encounters and awesome sequences of kills, doing everything I could do to survive. It was very tough though. Being able to enable cheats in the single player would have been incredible lol.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
That one song that plays in the settlement is so goddamn awesome. Greg Edmonson could compose for any action or adventure movie if he wanted.

Do DOO do DOO do DOO DOO DOO DOO DOO and then it has that great brass section.

Massa

I loved the shipyard section despite a couple problems: it seems like Drake can't hold his breath for more than 5 seconds, and there were some glaring scripting problems with enemies spawning there.

That one song that plays in the settlement is so goddamn awesome. Greg Edmonson could compose for any action or adventure movie if he wanted.

Do DOO do DOO do DOO DOO DOO DOO DOO and then it has that great brass section.

Yea I really loved the music in that part. It was a nice change to what we normally get in UC but the music overall is fantastic.

Just finished it, and really loved it. Once I got used to the aiming, I had no issues. Well, one. I normally don't complain about the ridiculousness of stories, but the
desert was really stupid. They should have had him find SOME water or something. I mean he goes from hallucinating to climbing out of wells.
It's fine...in the scheme of things, it's so unimportant. And everything else was really well done. But that stuck out to me.

Favorite scenes were too many to count. The only hiccup I hit was in the
ship graveyard
, which I thought was a touch too hard. BUT I liked the sheer number of options the game gave you for scenes like that, which is why I was surprised people were complaining about scenario linearity.

This game is going to look ridiculous with motion blur.

I was able to beat a few sections completely with stealth, but I mainly used it for ammo refills.

I thought the game had a great pace to it. The first half was a lot of exploration and exposition, and the second was a lot of shooting. I felt like I got equal tastes of the great parts of the things I like.

About that
water
comment:
He did get a bit of undrinkable water that still coated his throat. And despite how long it took to play, on subsequent replays it didn't feel like an eternity like the first playthrough.

Top Bottom