• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 3 |OT| All Developers Dream, But Not Equally

Massa

I actually had to pause the game and
go for a glass of water at that part. They really should have added a segment where you stealth kill a couple guys and then drink their water before the main combat kicks up.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
About that
water
comment:
He did get a bit of undrinkable water that still coated his throat. And despite how long it took to play, on subsequent replays it didn't feel like an eternity like the first playthrough.

I had no problem with the time in game. It's fine. I am okay with games making small pacing sacrifices for the sake of narrative. Otherwise we end up with 60 year old Ezio leaping off buildings. But we can last
only a few days without water in a typical setting. I can't imagine how long we could last in the desert, but supposing it's 4 days-- or just enough to let Drake live-- having a sip of nonpotable warm water shouldn't restore someone to climbing strength. He should be almost dead.

The game's an action movie. I completely get it and have no problem at all. But cmmonn

Y2Kev

Oh, and the technology was amazing. The RED GLOW as Drake is walking to the shade was just incredible, not to mention how damn good it looked. It made me think of RE5 and how Capcom was talking about heat would play a major part in the game and how better technology would help them express things like this...but, you know, Takeuchi is a talentless, creatively bankrupt sack of shit so that didn't happen.

KAL2006

Banned
You guys seen the new DLC maps? Fort and Ice Cave redone for U3. Look amazing.

6347291265_4694f793c2_b.jpg

6347290813_c8af431442_b.jpg

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2011...hits-psn-today-fortune-hunters-club-benefits/

No dates for the maps yet but it's called Flashback Map Pack #1

I will be pissed if Sanctuary and Temple don't make it in part of the Fortune Hunter pack. Also they need to start announcing actual new maps.

Dibbz

Oh, and the technology was amazing. The RED GLOW as Drake is walking to the shade was just incredible, not to mention how damn good it looked. It made me think of RE5 and how Capcom was talking about heat would play a major part in the game and how better technology would help them express things like this...but, you know, Takeuchi is a talentless, creatively bankrupt sack of shit so that didn't happen.

I actually didn't like that scene. The massive bloom really put me off. You can make things look bright without having to make the whole scene full of bloom and colour bleeding. I get that they were trying to show how blazing hot it was but it just seems like they took too much artistic liberty in that shot.

Atrus

Gold Member
I didn't fine any of the encounters poorly design, you have to be smart and use what they give you to your advantage.

Also that makes little sense anyways.

There were far fewer well designed encounters in UC3 than 2, and the vast majority of the ones in 3 had you simply dig in due to the aggression of the AI and the strength of said weapons on Hard and Crushing.

In UC1 there were a lot of arena styled battles that had the player use the entirety of the setting to fight in. ie. When Drake finds the crashed plane. With bodies and broken rocks strewn everywhere, this encounter was excellent since enemies came from multiple angles.

In UC2 again they had the same formula but expanded on it while throwing in more linear path scenarios and arenas that could allow you to run about in. The main square in Nepal, Borneo the temple courtyard after the broken bridge, and a series of singular tunnels.

In UC3 there were fewer open courtyard areas since most of the areas were quite linear and of the ones that were open, you had little choice but to bunker in since the arenas weren't really made for traversal. You don't have to use an ounce of intelligence in UC3 to simply stay in one fortified position as nearly all enemies approach from one direction.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
There were far fewer well designed encounters in UC3 than 2, and the vast majority of the ones in 3 had you simply dig in due to the aggression of the AI and the strength of said weapons on Hard and Crushing.

In UC1 there were a lot of arena styled battles that had the player use the entirety of the setting to fight in. ie. When Drake finds the crashed plane. With bodies and broken rocks strewn everywhere, this encounter was excellent since enemies came from multiple angles.

In UC2 again they had the same formula but expanded on it while throwing in more linear path scenarios and arenas that could allow you to run about in. The main square in Nepal, Borneo the temple courtyard after the broken bridge, and a series of singular tunnels.

In UC3 there were fewer open courtyard areas since most of the areas were quite linear and of the ones that were open, you had little choice but to bunker in since the arenas weren't really made for traversal. You don't have to use an ounce of intelligence in UC3 to simply stay in one fortified position as nearly all enemies approach from one direction.

I had a very difference experience of UC3, in that I mainly remember the big combat scenarios taking place in large open areas where enemies will flank you, and unless you pick your cover spot very carefully, someone will kill you by surprise. UC3 encourages mobility more than previous UC's in my opinion. At least, I started having way more success once I started using that approach vs. digging into a single cover point for an entire shootout.

The open areas in UC1 did have enemies spawn from different sides, but they were separated into waves. I don't remember any scenario in which enemies would spawn in front of you and behind you at the same time.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Just wrapped up my playthrough from Redboxing it and honestly, an 8/10 was pretty damn generous here. I'll go over what I liked first though:

-The setpieces were great. ND was able to at least match the UC2 bar most of the time and sometimes surpassed it.
-The soundtrack was great. I really liked the stuff during that 4 level segment that had absolutely nothing to do with the plot.
-The art was fantastic most of the time. Particularly the desert stuff and the temple type areas.
-Some of the combat arenas were well designed.
-There streaming tech is still pretty amazing.
-I had a decent amount of fun.

What I didn't like:
-The puzzles and platforming are still unsatisfying.
-The story was awful and failed to become interesting at any point. And then there were random parts that just seemed tacked on story-wise too and had zero bearing on the plot. I get that they figure out setpieces they want first, but this time it seemed like they didn't even try to wrap the story around them.
-I still dislike Drake as a character and Elena is even more grating here than usual. They are an awful pair that I don't care about in the least. Drake is an undeniable selfish tool for most of the game so why should I care about his well-being?
-Interesting characters like Cutter get hardly any screen time.
-The writing hits some new lows with lines like "he's tripping balls." I don't expect games to have amazing writing, but this is one that is propped up for that kind of stuff.
-The bad dudes are really poorly developed which sucks because they were legit interesting.
-The melee seemed really tacked on because I felt like I was just rotating through the same three animation almost every time and the transitions were meh.
-A couple enemies types and a lot of combat arenas were atrocious.
The flaming head dudes were probably the were special enemy in the series yet.
-There were a couple times where the art didn't hit the highs that the majority of the game did.
The spiders/trippy effects looked fairly ghetto and outside of the castle in Syria was kinda boring compared to some of the other locales
-
I thought the flashback and lost in the desert sequences were just tedious.
-Cutscene compression. I mean come on! Why the fuck am I still seeing this!

reKon

Banned
I had a very difference experience of UC3, in that I mainly remember the big combat scenarios taking place in large open areas where enemies will flank you, and unless you pick your cover spot very carefully, someone will kill you by surprise. UC3 encourages mobility more than previous UC3's in my opinion. At least, I started having way more success once I started using that approach vs. digging into a single cover point for an entire shootout.

The open areas in UC1 did have enemies spawn from different sides, but they were separated into waves. I don't remember any scenario in which enemies would spawn in front of you and behind you at the same time.

I agree with you. In UC3 on normal, enemies would constantly flank you and you really had much more success moving around and being aware of what's around you, otherwise you'd be surprised by an enemy and die. That happens a lot to me during the big
sandstorm shoot out towards the end of the game

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Did you get the guy in the 2nd floor of the building on the left? I think if you leave one guy alive and try to advance to the next part, the game says "I don't think so!" and fucks you up the ass.

Oh I totally got that guy. I stealth killed every mofo in that area, and the game STILL spawned me an army to fight. I mean COME ON.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Haha that's hilarious. I have to say, after dicking around with MW3, I played some U3 multiplayer yesterday and I think I do enjoy it more. Not that I think it's a better shooter (it's not), but it has less of the bullshit that makes MW3 frustrating. I don't know if there's a GAF clan, but if so hit me up: ilnadmy

Paertan

Got the game yesterday. Finished it today in one sitting, short break for dinner. Loved it despite some flaws. Well the aiming and some unrealistic things I have seen you mentioning in this thread.
The water in the desert, bad stealth
and such.

Overall a great game with lots of Holy Shit moments. Naughty Dog still got it even though it seems like they maybe should have waited a month.

Uncharted 2 is still the best in the series by my account but keep em coming Naughty Dog and I will buy em all.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
I love it when it's Marked Man in Team Objective, and the Marked Man from the other team quits the game causing no more Marked Man for us to kill for the remainder of the round screwing us over. :-\

jax (old)

Banned
No dates for the maps yet but it's called Flashback Map Pack #1

The fact that they're calling it Flashback Map Pack #1; means that there'll be flashback map #2.

so the UC2 maps will be split into 2 sets - (3) maps each

fort
sanctuary
village

lost city
temple
blueecity map

I think that covers it considering ruins/submarine/highrise/museum already made it. I do agree we should be getting new maps first but damn if I don't want the ones bolded now. so yeah I'll be buying these

This post makes no sense to me. U3 has those same elements; if anything the levels are much larger and expansive than U1 and U2, and due to the flanking nature of the enemies you really couldn't bunker down because you would get flushed out or overrun. Some of you aren't giving U3 enough credit; yeah it's flawed, but you're portraying the prior games as something their not.

Shtof

I had a very difference experience of UC3, in that I mainly remember the big combat scenarios taking place in large open areas where enemies will flank you, and unless you pick your cover spot very carefully, someone will kill you by surprise. UC3 encourages mobility more than previous UC3's in my opinion. At least, I started having way more success once I started using that approach vs. digging into a single cover point for an entire shootout.

I feel the same way. Uncharted 3 combat is more open than the previous iterations.

Still think Uncharted 2 is the best in the series though.

JaseMath

Started playing today - on Chapter 16 right now (
the airport
). First of all, the lag the everyone was bitching about is terrible and makes the game control like a tank. :( I hope it gets patched eventually. Loving it so far, though.

How much more game do I have left? From what I read, there was only
chapters.

JasonMCG said:
the airport
). First of all, the lag the everyone was bitching about is terrible and makes the game control like a tank. :( I hope it gets patched eventually. Loving it so far, though.

chapters.
About 2 hrs left.

Kerub

Banned
the airport

chapters.

There are
22 chapters
IIRC? So you're pretty close to the end.

EDIT - Beaten :D

Y2Kev

My favorite scene in the game was
Drake sleeping on Elena's lap.
Just so...real. And hits close to home. ;)

I am trying to remember all of U2 in my head...it's a lot more frustrating in some spots than I think I (and probably most) remember.

UC3 reminded me more of UC1 actually, except the enemies flank the shit out of you way more in UC3, it's like the sewer fight but with more shotgun guys and instead of shotguns they hold grenade launchers, UC2 really doesn't flank as much, leaving the player more of a combat option to flank the enemies instead, in U2 outside of the heavy machine gun guys the enemies aren't as deadly.

jax (old)

Banned
both female characters got majorly shafted in UC3.

elena3 is hideous
chloe3 has an oversized head

Do you think they made those changes to make the characters closer resemble the voice actors?

nah. emily rose looks more like uc2 elena and claudia looks more like uc2 chloe. If anything; they didn't know how to fix what was not broken.

The fact that they're calling it Flashback Map Pack #1; means that there'll be flashback map #2.

so the UC2 maps will be split into 2 sets - (3) maps each

fort
sanctuary
village

lost city
temple
blueecity map

I think that covers it considering ruins/submarine/highrise/museum already made it. I do agree we should be getting new maps first but damn if I don't want the ones bolded now. so yeah I'll be buying these

You forgot 2 maps, the already announced Cave (formerly Ice Cave) and Train Wreck, so we might get 4 maps in each flashback map pack. I welcome the return of all the U2 maps, but i also hope we won't have to wait too long for some proper new maps, like Dry Docks. It would be nice if they'd release the new maps in between the two flashback packs.

bender

What time is it?
Makeup. People saying she looks asian have never seen an asian woman in their lives. People saying she looks hideous are even worse. She has never looked prettier.

I think it's more than makeup. Everyone's face seems more plump.

Y2Kev

I think it's the opposite. Drake's face is deplump. Elena's eyes changed. Fact. FACT. FACT IT IS LAW

bender

What time is it?
Maybe. Everyone just seems off. Sully is probably the closest to being normal but there is something odd there too, like a young actor with makeup trying to make him look old. *shrug*

Y2Kev

Victor Goddamn Sullivan looks like a sex god and if you have an issue maybe you are just in love with him and in denial

gdt

Drake and Sully look better than ever, especially Drake.

I'm still up in the air on Elena. She's definitely different, but after that first encounter she looks great. Check her at at the airfield, for instance.

Top Bottom