• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 3 |OT| All Developers Dream, But Not Equally

I actually kinda agree on the train, on a recent replay. Its a technical marvel, it has more actual gameplay then the cargo plane which was almost...nothing >_>, but it did feel like walking down one giant hallway shooting people. I did enjoy that you can choose to climb on top of the train or go in through the cars.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
why are you playing the game then? The train and some of the linear segments in U2 were the bomb. I appreciated all of UC2. my GOTY.

The only thing that comes @ expense of gameplay; I kind of agree with you; as I don't think they're done well is
the stupid running game
. mentioned I started on crushing? as
tiny drake
I kept running into the side walls of the first ramp. 4 times - all the while mindful that I would be doing it as I had so many problems with it the first go (about 6 times). Its a weird way to start of the game - making the gamer feel like they're not in control.

while on crushing - the 1st go; i was no longer trying to look around the
categena museum
so I didn't have to contend with all the stumbly hand touching backwards movement in that area which also lessened the frustration I experienced the first time. WHY IS HE MOVING LIKE AN IDIOT?! It helps to diminish the perception that something is wrong.
straight up the stairs to the cabinet. cutscene. whew that is over!!

and then of course; the gun control at the first lock.

so looking forward to this patch. BRING IT ND!

Oh don't get me wrong, U2 is my favorite game of all time. I obviously liked that game a lot, and the first time I played through the train I loved it. But it's not my favorite part of that game. The whole Sanctuary piece is what I enjoyed most.

I'm just saying they went overboard with the spectacle in U3 and forgot the gameplay. But I'm gonna stop harping on that. It's still a great game, and I have faith that U4 will actually be less linear, since that seems to be one of the main complaints leveled at U3.

d1rtn4p

Finished it tonight. I definitely had to force myself to keep going through Chapter 11... Once I hit 12 though, the game got on Uncharted 2 levels till up to about 15/16. After that I had to go back to forcing myself to finish. Like many have said, not a bad game by any means, but nowhere near the game Uncharted 2 was. My biggest gripe would be the combat, it was so frustrating to unload a clip into a baddie's chest and them not take a hit at all.

slider

^^^ I actually liked that part, prob cause i was well in to my box of stella :D

It was the voice that kept freaking me out!

I muted it so I couldn't hear the voice!

On a related note I've had a fair bit of motion sickness playing this. Maybe I'm focusing too closely on the "boat" bits but, geez, I guess I'm a bit of a sensitive flower.

jax (old)

Banned
I was massively hung over when I played the boat bits. I was dizzy and felt like throwing up the whole time.

actually really looking forward to revisiting it when I'm not pissed off my head.

slider

I was massively hung over when I played the boat bits. I was dizzy and felt like throwing up the whole time.

actually really looking forward to revisiting it when I'm not pissed off my head.

Oh shit, that's what it must be. I was drinking whiskey until 3am the night before. D'oh.

I'd rather have another Uncharted than any other of the yearly franchises.

Yeah, even though 3 might not have been as great as 2. It's still far more entertaining than most other franchises.

Would like more depth in stealth and melee in the next uncharted.

Melee would had been more fun if i had more control of the moves i want to do.

Agreed, would be great if they could make the brawling part a little more involved.

What if, similar to kill rooms/open encounters, ND gave us open areas to explore or puzzle rooms to solve? Meaning a big area, even vertically, that you can peruse without the threat of triggering a cutscene or some other event that prevents backtracking. A "triangle" prompt would mark the exit that would move the story/level forward but until then, you're free to explore every nook for treasures and whatever else they may include to add to the adventure aspect (side puzzles only accessible when you find clues hidden throughout the area?) .

Do it, ND.

Edit: not to be confused with exploring an open area after clearing out enemies. I'm talking about pristine hideaways not littered with waist high walls for cover with guns and ammo strewn about in an obvious fashion. Just a pure, beautiful (or haunting, or decrepit, what have you) location uninhabited by man for however long until your arrival.

What if, similar to kill rooms/open encounters, ND gave us open areas to explore or puzzle rooms to solve? Meaning a big area, even vertically, that you can peruse without the threat of triggering a cutscene or some other event that prevents backtracking. A "triangle" prompt would mark the exit that would move the story/level forward but until then, you're free to explore every nook for treasures and whatever else they may include to add to the adventure aspect (side puzzles only accessible when you find clues hidden throughout the area?) .

Do it, ND.

Edit: not to be confused with exploring an open area after clearing out enemies. I'm talking about pristine hideaways not littered with waist high walls for cover with guns and ammo strewn about in an obvious fashion. Just a pure, beautiful (or haunting, or decrepit, what have you) location uninhabited by man for however long until your arrival.

honestly, I think the only thing preventing Uncharted to be more open is simply budget or hardware capabilities, more open environment meant more resource/money needed to build bigger and more complex level.

if you look at Uncharted so far, you can sometimes find hidden path that usually lead to dead end but with treasures. there's really nothing stopping ND to designed the level so these dead end, actually lead to the next shooter section.

think MGS3 level design. it's not open world, but not as linear as Uncharted either, and it still has it's cutscene/set pieces moment. it's probably my ideal Uncharted level design scenario for me, without the loading screen separating between section obviously.

honestly, I think the only thing preventing Uncharted to be more open is simply budget or hardware capabilities, more open environment meant more resource/money needed to build bigger and more complex level.

if you look at Uncharted so far, you can sometimes find hidden path that usually lead to dead end but with treasures. there's really nothing stopping ND to designed the level so these dead end, actually lead to the next shooter section.

think MGS3 level design. it's not open world, but not as linear as Uncharted either, and it still has it's cutscene/set pieces moment. it's probably my ideal Uncharted level design scenario for me, without the loading screen separating between section obviously.
In a sense, that's what I have in mind. But add verticality.

I'd still love to see hidden clues that are used to tackle an optional puzzle within each open area. Just more to find besides shiny treasures. Imagine having to use your own wits to knowingly input specific markings into your journal to use for puzzles. "hmm this marking points upward." *Looks up* "oooh, wonder if THAT is important" *opens journal and jots it down*. Mind you, this is all done manually. You actively click "save image" or whatever to be added to your journal.

Dynedom

Finished all the coop adventure missions on Hard today. Good lord, Mission 4 will NOT be fun on Crushing. Shit,
defending the statue
in mission 3 is going to be worse.

Mikey Jr.

Finished all the coop adventure missions on Hard today. Good lord, Mission 4 will NOT be fun on Crushing. Shit,
defending the statue
in mission 3 is going to be worse.

You know those rpg guys shooting at the statue? They're armored.

....Yeah......

alterno69

Banned
Borrowed the game from a friend, man do i hate so many shoot outs. I'm at the Sirya level, it gets really boring having to fight wave after wave of generic agents or whatever they are. Also, this feels like the COD of action games, explosions and stuff falling all over the place. So predictable, i have enjoyed every Uncharted game less than the one before, the best for me is still the original, it was fresh then, now it's better graphics with the same formula.

Drake solves a puzzle and finds a key element of a bigger puzzle, bad guys are waiting for you outside the room and take such item from you. What a surprise.

baekshi

Banned
You know those rpg guys shooting at the statue? They're armored.

....Yeah......

Not all of them are armed. They are few of those armored, yes.

I suggest having one user with clusterbomb, and 2 users with army of three. Clusterbomb to wipe brute wave( won't kill brute) so the other user should use army of three. . The next army of three should be used on armored RPGs.

and there you have the match. Last wave is easy, one pak-80 is dropped from brute. one is in the back. if the clusterbomb user gets his kickback, it is over.

jax (old)

Banned

I suggest having one user with clusterbomb, and 2 users with army of three. Clusterbomb to wipe brute wave( won't kill brute) so the other user should use army of three. . The next army of three should be used on armored RPGs.

and there you have the match. Last wave is easy, one pak-80 is dropped from brute. one is in the back. if the clusterbomb user gets his kickback, it is over.

/golfclap.

that's someone who knows what his doing. :) You need a co-ordinated team of 3 though.

deepbrown

Just playing through this a second time. There are far too many moments, where there's literally a minute of gameplay and then two minutes of cutscene.

I don't mind the cutscenes where things actually happen, but I can see that many moments could as easily be done in gameplay.

Take the moment where Chloe rocks up in the van early on - could easily be done in gameplay.

And in Syria - it's almost embarrassing how stop and starting it is towards the end of the level. There's about 4 short cutscenes, and the gameplay is simply you just walking or running 10 meters. As you come out from the underground, by pushing the wall on a guy... you walk forward in less than 20 seconds and then there's another cutscene. Wouldn't it have been way more epic if all of that was done in gameplay, with Cutter pointing the gum at you etc. And then you run to escape for another minute, then cutscene with Cutter jumping.

This continues, stop start, stop start. It doesn't make for a very nice game, especially on your second play through.

sun-drop

just fin my first run through on normal .... wow, awesome game, awesome series.

loved it. want more of it.

and yeh ...pretty much the entire 2nd half, shipyard on left me slack yawed at times ... did not think my ps3 was able to do the stuff i was seeing .... freaking epic.

now for co-op

/golfclap.

that's someone who knows what his doing. :) You need a co-ordinated team of 3 though.

^^^this look like a pretty valid strategy ..but impossible to pull off without friends and mics ( even worse with only 2 players ). But that's a beautifull HINT for victory .. you have my thanks !
(now to find one more friend good enough to survive in crushing,with a mic ... )

Snookie

finished it last night. Finished it on hard. I'll wait for the patch to even attempt crushing. The ending to me was kinda lame.
I guess I was expecting to find out who he really is since they mentioned earlier in the game that he isnt really a descendant from drake
I dont know. i really like the story but the end was just basically like hey lets go get a burger.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
finished it last night. Finished it on hard. I'll wait for the patch to even attempt crushing. The ending to me was kinda lame.
I guess I was expecting to find out who he really is since they mentioned earlier in the game that he isnt really a descendant from drake
I dont know. i really like the story but the end was just basically like hey lets go get a burger.

I think they're saving that for Uncharted 4. I'm a little disappointed too, I was hoping they would actually go into the backgrounds of the characters, and I felt they touched upon them very superficially. Story-wise I think this is definitely the weakest in the franchise.

pahamrick

For anyone still waiting on their copy from Subway, I finally heard back from Prizelogic and they said in the email that copies of the game won after Oct 27th would be shipped out the second week of December.

Massa

The story isn't all that great in any of the games. It's the characters and dialog that make it interesting.

Drake: You can torture me all you want but...
Ramsey: Okay.

Just finished it.

Still a good game but UC2 was better. I didn't like the ending much, it felt rushed---like they didn't have enough time.

I noticed some graphical flaws, but the highlights for me are:
Burning Mansion, Ship Yard, Titanic, Diving Airplane, Desert Traversing

Other than the highlights (yeah, the game had alot) I liked the levels in UC2 more. Oh well, good game. I love CO-OP.

jax (old)

Banned
MP game rant.

just played syria co-op adventure HARD. picked up a treasure. 3/3. woot!!! checked my profile and nothing was unlocked and the stupid game spawned a treasure from normal/easy. WTF? If I'm playing hard; I bloody well deserve a hard classed treasure.

also while we're at this: the treasure booster - only really applies to the treasures from the last page of the treasures page (1 out of 3) as the game modes in which they're applicable are the MP competitive modes. they really should have made a coop game treasure booster - I'm guessing there isn't any because when a treasure is dropped the whole team shares it?

Gacha-pin

Are there any details of the map packs?
If all the players have the maps, do those maps appear on the vote, or new entrance to be added in the mp menu screen?

For some reason when I click on my name in the multiplayer part of the game, and go to Statistics, my hours in co-op have been reduced. It was over 20 hours, and now it states 2 hours. Besides that, I'm still having lots of fun with this game online.

Meier

Started it up this weekend and got to Chapter 6 and boy does this game feel so freaking samey. I'll definitely continue to play it, but this game to me is the ultimate rental. A forgetable multiplayer mode (for my tastes) and a single player mode that feels like it's just a further continuation of the first two games.

One thing that is for sure though, the graphics are truly as impressive as everyone's said. When I was swinging from chandelier to chandelier (sp?) in that library section, there was something special about how life-like they appeared.

Felt like the controls were pretty terrible when you were Nate as a kid... I also thought he looked more latino than white as a kid which was kind of odd. Nice change of pace but it obviously didn't last very long.

One more item of note, it did essentially kill my old 40 GB PS3.. or start it's slow death. Dat fan! http://www.twitvid.com/Q73OL. Fortunately I have a Slim in the bedroom to finish the game on although I'll try and buy the new $200 bundle on BF if I'm lucky.

What are the chances of Sony making a collection pack (Uncharted 1-3) sometime next year? I'm looking to jump into PS3 and it'd be nice to get all of these in one slick package. Hopefully it doesn't look as atrocious as the current double-pack though :/

this is the Uncharted game where the main treasure was not clear or emphasized

El Dorado was clear cut and Shambalah/Shangralaw too

but in UC3, I have not idea what is the main treasure and it feels like it was not the focus of the game's story

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
What are the chances of Sony making a collection pack (Uncharted 1-3) sometime next year? I'm looking to jump into PS3 and it'd be nice to get all of these in one slick package. Hopefully it doesn't look as atrocious as the current double-pack though :/

Nah, one of those wouldn't show up till closer to Uncharted 4's release.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick

but in UC3, I have not idea what is the main treasure and it feels like it was not the focus of the game's story

Nate was trying to prove his lifelong hunch about what Drake had done. It was what got him started adventureing in the first place. He wasn't after treasure this time, just following his obsession. The villains wanted the hallucinogens that were there.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony

The Lost City of Ubar / The Atlantis of the Sands? What do you mean it wasn't clear.

Finalow

what the hell?
I can't get any afterlife medals. when I die I drop a grenade but even if I kill someone I don't get the afterlife medal, why? =|
I need them for revenge lv 3. also I don't understand what it does, it says ''can drop a kickmedal grenade'' but can I always drop this or just one time?

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
You'll only drop it if you have your medal kickback (Carpet Bomb/Mega Bomb/Cluster Bomb, Quick Boom). you won't get an afterlife medal if you kill someone with your revenge grenade. Manually throw one before you die and you should get one that way.

The MP... *pukes*

Why am I jumping off of buildings, taking cover instead of rolling, not getting my fucking kills etc? Wish R3 had traversal and was more than an fps because I'd be all over that instead.

Levi

Banned
Btw, just picked up the Uncharted novel. Anyone read it? Is it good? I wish I didn't read the back of the book. Fucking spoilers lol.
I'm 60% in, it's decent. The Gears and mass Effect books are better.

Strongly dislike that the book is non-canon and features no characters from the games besides Nate and Sully. :(

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
1314_3.jpg

Drake Play Arts from Square Enix is up for preorder on their Japanese store... should be available for the US soon... Spring 2012 release.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
https://ssl.square-enix-shop.com/SqEx/images/products/1314_3.jpg[IMG]

Drake Play Arts from Square Enix is up for preorder on their Japanese store... should be available for the US soon... Spring 2012 release.[/QUOTE]

Nate's balls are hanging pretty low in that figure.

Ricky_R

They were looking for Ubar, but I get what you're saying. I also wanted to know a bit more about the artefact, but if you notice, it wasn't that important to Drake anymore. He just wanted to keep sully safe and get out of there alive.

https://ssl.square-enix-shop.com/SqEx/images/products/1314_3.jpg[/IMG

Drake Play Arts from Square Enix is up for preorder on their Japanese store... should be available for the US soon... Spring 2012 release.[/QUOTE]Hey, this figure actually looks like Nate. Unlike that terrible one they included with the U3 Special Edition of the game.

I think what I hate most about Uncharted is the whole 'jump toward ledge > grab by fingernails > ledge breaks > Drake screams > climb up ledge' shtick. I mean, was that ever exciting for anyone?

The criticism of 'more a movie than a game :(' is definitely spot-on and probably the most important for this year's AAA titles.

Top Bottom