• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 3 |OT| All Developers Dream, But Not Equally

Clott

Just finished the single player, I felt it was a great end to a trilogy. If I had to complain about one thing is that I also felt the ending was a little rushed, it just dawned upon me when my achievement popped up that it was over, I expected a little more.

But major props to the people that wrote the story, the ending scene actually got me a little teary eyed, but that's more of things that I could relate to.

Anyway! any gaffers want to give me a add on PSN? I really want to try some of the co-op campaign on crushing.

ID: Clott

Gyrian

That figure is looking way better than what came with the collector's edition.
The weirdness at the joints is the price to pay for it being poseable like all other play arts figures.

Not bad, not bad.

Haha, wtf! I never noticed the gun in the boxart.

It's okay, we understand why you might selectively not see the KAL-7. ;p

1314_3.jpg
That looks great, I would buy that for sure.

OchreHand

I managed to avoid this thread and almost all the media, and I just finished UC3. Man, what a trip. Some of the best environment art I've seen in a long, long time (well, since UC2 and maybe AC2). The variety of locations were insane.

My only major gripe is that I felt the last level was rushed. I really wanted to venture out and explore, and it was annoying to get interrupted by a gunfight that felt random.

I hope that one day ND makes a nice little game that plays more heavily on just exploring ruins or cities without weapons.

chapter 16 spoilers:

This
airport scene is pathetic with these "I'll push the truck, you steer" sequences. She couldn't step on the brake to prevent the first one from rolling? And the second one JUST pulled up so if the keys weren't in there then someone had them. Maybe that one's tolerable if stealth was their intent...

Just seems goofy.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Man, Uncharted 3 multiplayer is my game. I don't know what it is about this game, but I just get it. It's awesome. I still wish Chloe didn't look like she was thrown up by a PS2, but hey I'll take what I can get.

Anyway, I still haven't touched the co-op bits so I think I'm gonna start digging into that soon. So many games I still have to play through though - MW3, Skyrim, Arkham City. Not enough hours in the day.

Mikey Jr.

Man, Uncharted 3 multiplayer is my game. I don't know what it is about this game, but I just get it. It's awesome. I still wish Chloe didn't look like she was thrown up by a PS2, but hey I'll take what I can get.

Anyway, I still haven't touched the co-op bits so I think I'm gonna start digging into that soon. So many games I still have to play through though - MW3, Skyrim, Arkham City. Not enough hours in the day.

I'm addicted to the MP, haha. I have about 44 hours clocked in. Yeah, its just addicting. I bought and played BF3, but I just keep going back to this game.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
I'm addicted to the MP, haha. I have about 44 hours clocked in. Yeah, its just addicting. I bought and played BF3, but I just keep going back to this game.

I feel ya. A lot of games' multiplayer feels intense and serious. Call of Duty, Battlefield, it's also so "GRRRR DIE DIE DIE." Uncharted just feels light and airy personality-wise. I play games to relax, not to get stressed.

I also rock face on U3 multi, hence the love

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
One thing I'd love to know is how many active players play the MP. In Uncharted 2, it was added in. I hope they add the player count in the upcoming patch.

forgot to mention, but I ran across another GAF member in Team Deathmatch. He was placed in the opposite team and I basically destroyed his whole team. lol I got like 29-8 that match. He ended up quitting the match. :(

<3 Sniping.

Plat'd.

Really intense trying to go for the 30 sidearm kills, 50 manual reloads and 75 kills in a row without dying all at once. Chose chapter 12. Kinda blew it because I ran out of bullets so I replaced my sidearm which I guess is a no-no. Then once I got to the zipline from the
control tower
, I jumped to my death voiding all of my kills up to that point (a lot). But keeping an eye on ammo count and clip count, especially with all of the traversal gunplay, had me tensed as shit.

Basically just farmed for 11 uc3 trophies tonight... I need a break until the patch (watch it be out tomorrow haha).

Plat'd.

Really intense trying to go for the 30 sidearm kills, 50 manual reloads and 75 kills in a row without dying all at once. Chose chapter 12. Kinda blew it because I ran out of bullets so I replaced my sidearm which I guess is a no-no. Then once I got to the zipline from the
control tower
, I jumped to my death voiding all of my kills up to that point (a lot). But keeping an eye on ammo count and clip count, especially with all of the traversal gunplay, had me tensed as shit.

Basically just farmed for 11 uc3 trophies tonight... I need a break until the patch (watch it be out tomorrow haha).

Yeah the manual reload trophy is probably the hardest, still not too difficult though.

gdt

I always end up with the highest kills on my team, but all day today I've been ending up with the highest deaths too :/.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Just played my first co-op adventure (Borneo on Hard). DAMN. This is FUN AS HELL. Where was this encounter design in single player?? So many options, so many cover locations, so many ways to tackle each fight. Go figure it's an Uncharted 2 level, the level design in that game is unparalleled.

Looking forward to playing some more co-op at some point, this is addictive as hell. The graphics do look horrible (especially the cutscenes), but the dialogue is hilarious.

jax (old)

Banned
Just played my first co-op adventure (Borneo on Hard). DAMN. This is FUN AS HELL. Where was this encounter design in single player?? So many options, so many cover locations, so many ways to tackle each fight. Go figure it's an Uncharted 2 level, the level design in that game is unparalleled.

Looking forward to playing some more co-op at some point, this is addictive as hell. The graphics do look horrible (especially the cutscenes), but the dialogue is hilarious.

the co-op modes I play more than the competitive modes because a) farming treasure b) fun. I've played it since launch about 3 weeks and I'm still having a ripper of time with them. Nobody should discount the MP game in UC3. Its bloody brilliant.

wait til you get to chapter 5 (airport) - the co-op adventure stuff has some NICE surprises there. :)

Loudninja

Its unbelievable that some people still don't know how to free others from enemy that grabs you.

The either trying to melee, or run an try the enemy blind fire.

Finished the game

+ Melee is fantastic now, the contextual animation really brought it to life.
+ Liked that they took guns off Nate so often, definitely reduced the feeling of being a killing machine
+ Graphics
+
Young Drake. I want a game with him
+ First half of the game had tons of good puzzles. More like that please

- Formulaic as it gets. I mean how obvious was it (ending spoiler) that
you'd end up destroying the hidden city in the end
- Story had lots of potential but ended up wafer thin. Villains didn't really go anywhere, Nate and Sully didn't really go anywhere. Started strong and kind of fizzled out. I guess its the thing about the genre that the story is never deep, but I'd like to see them rise above that
- Chloe and Elena's faces
- I was on a media blackout and I still managed to see most of the major moments just through my brief glances. Be more sparing with your marketing please ND.
- Gameplay really needs to be more expansive. Some combat moments like in the shipyard were fantastic. But the platforming is way way too linear. I don't believe at all it'd be too resource intensive to offer multiple routes through these levels
- Was very short. Under 9 hours and I took my time exploring things.

Overall it was great as to be expected but it was very formulaic. Uncharted 2 rose above expectations, tried new things, and was successful for it. Uncharted 3 was UC2 with a new coat of paints.

I really think that another sequel like this will be pushing it too far. Basically this formula has been more or less perfected. They need to started thing of ways to expand the franchise in terms of gameplay. Really I would be happy for them to scale it back before they jump the shark. I mean Drake has survived two collapsing cities, a crashing train, plane and ship... You can't do much more before people start rolling their eyes.

jax (old)

Banned
Its unbelievable that some people still don't know how to free others from enemy that grabs you.

The either trying to melee, or run an try the enemy blind fire.

because grapplers aren't in the SP games. Most of the time, they don't get that you have to shoot the helmets off if they're noobs.

I have more of an issue with idiots who don't even try to save you. Keep on shooting while I'm 2 feet away from you dying. And then the whole team's dead. Had a fair few too many sessions of that.

and then idiots then team kill. One round, I got grenaded and thought, mistake. Next round (siege mode) so we're in proximity with no enemies around... and he shoots me to death. Left the game.

should add that these are kind of rare occurences. Most people are good to play with.

Loudninja

because grapplers aren't in the SP games. Most of the time, they don't get that you have to shoot the helmets off if they're noobs.

I have more of an issue with idiots who don't even try to save you. Keep on shooting while I'm 2 feet away from you dying. And then the whole team's dead. Had a fair few too many sessions of that.

and then idiots then team kill. One round, I got grenaded and thought, mistake. Next round (siege mode) so we're in proximity with no enemies around... and he shoots me to death. Left the game.

should add that these are kind of rare occurences. Most people are good to play with.

These guys I referring to was higher levels than me lol.

Still freaking love co-op. :)

jax (old)

Banned
Ive actually taken to running into the armoured grappler when teammates are near or I see someone running away from it. Saves everyone time scrambling trying to shoot it before they get grappled. They're practically impossible to kill until then

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
- I was on a media blackout and I still managed to see most of the major moments just through my brief glances. Be more sparing with your marketing please ND.

Naughty Dog, if you're reading...

THIS x100000000

I was on a media blackout for two games this season - Uncharted 3 and Modern Warfare 3. I knew about pretty much everything in Uncharted because I got BOMBARDED with every image from the desert to the cargo plane to the cruise ship even as I tried to avoid it. I get that you guys need to market your product, but sweet Jesus play some stuff close to the vest next time.

Modern Warfare 3 had its fair share of "HOLY SHIT" moments, but the vast majority of them were not spoiled by the advertising (except the Eiffel tower thing... would have rather experienced that in-game first).

Ive actually taken to running into the armoured grappler when teammates are near or I see someone running away from it. Saves everyone time scrambling trying to shoot it before they get grappled. They're practically impossible to kill until then

woah ..if you're at lv 8&9or 10 of co-op arena are you sure this is a good idea ?
Same for crushing mode in co-op story ...

this can only work well if your teammates are (very)very good.

Anyway i really enjoy co-op more than competitive..

PS: the museum map is in need of tweaks , i get the overall idea behind the map but for some reason it's so one sided EVERYTIME i play in one

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
Finally completed ALL co-op adventure maps on Crushing. That's right, fuck you Monastery! Felt so good finally beating it. The Airfield was fucking INSANE with those RPG/Choker/Shield Guys. God damn!

chapter 16 spoilers:

This
airport scene is pathetic with these "I'll push the truck, you steer" sequences. She couldn't step on the brake to prevent the first one from rolling? And the second one JUST pulled up so if the keys weren't in there then someone had them. Maybe that one's tolerable if stealth was their intent...

Just seems goofy.

You would think, but remember female drivers....just saying. Good thing Drake didn't ask her to parallel park the thing.

Massa

1572351_o.gif

I should add I mostly play Team Objective, I don't really mind it in other modes. When you're on a timer to get to an objective though it's really annoying.

Mikey Jr.

Pfft, museum is a good map. You shut your whore mouth!

Maybe for objective, no idea, but for TDM? Terrible. Way too big for 10 people. Its all long sightlines as well. Plus 2 t-bolts.

Fuck that map. Unless you're a sniper, then it must be orgasmic.

I should add I mostly play Team Objective, I don't really mind it in other modes. When you're on a timer to get to an objective though it's really annoying.

Pretty much .. It's unusally hard to reach some objectives and the fact that the map is on 2 levels makes it hard to move up without being VERY VULNERABLE during many objectives

iLLmAtlc

Maybe for objective, no idea, but for TDM? Terrible. Way too big for 10 people. Its all long sightlines as well. Plus 2 t-bolts.

Fuck that map. Unless you're a sniper, then it must be orgasmic.

This is weird. I don't like that map because I find I run into people/blindfire way too often and I don't get a chance to mow them down with my FAL. >__>

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
Any tips for monastery?
Oh man where do I begin...

I'll tell you what me and my friends had for boosters and kickbacks.

Me:

Booster Slot 1 - Regeneration Gold.
Booster Slot 2 - Overstock Gold.
Medal Kickback - Army of Three

Friend 1:

Booster Slot 1: Regeneration Gold.
Booster Slot 2: Kickback Endurance Gold.
Medal Kickback: Army of Three

Friend 2:

Booster Slot 2: Team Safe Gold.
Medal Kickback: Juggernaut

First thing to note: Try not to die at all throughout the mission. You will need all of your lives for the statue part in the end. There needs to be at least two people with Army of Three equipped. Now most people would recommend you'd need one person to activate it when the brute comes out, but yesterday we took him out without activating it after failing the previous round with my friend activating his. Basically you just need to get the PAK-80 and have someone shoot the brute down. He'll go down really quick with the PAK. Next, make sure you get the Hammer in preparation to take down the armored RPG guys. Unfortunately, the Hammer won't be enough to take ALL of them down, but that's when Army of Three comes in. Activate it and tear them up. Grenade them too...it really helps take them down quickly. If you have any bullets left remaining from the PAK, use them on the armored RPG guys. Remember, the RPG guys always miss their first shot so pay extreme close attention to where they're shooting from. I know it's really tough to stay focused because not only do you have to defend the statue, you also have to look out for those armored soldiers with the shotguns/M9 heading your way. With any luck, you would have taken down all of the RPG guys (I believe there's 3 waves of them...the first wave is regular RPG guys, 2nd wave is the armored ones, and 3rd wave is regular ones again) and your focus should now to be clearing the rest of the enemies up on the level. After that, it's boss time. You'll face off against Militia Man, Hammer, and Cluster Bomb bosses. Have the other person activate Army of Three and take them out quickly and there! You've completed it!

A thing to note: With overstock gold, you can stack up to 6 additional medals after you have your kickback. So for example, when I activated my Army of Three and when it finished, I had 6 medals stacked already...so I just needed 4 more to get it back. With Kickback Endurance Gold, I believe the timer goes up to 45 seconds. It's really helpful.

A cool tip that's helpful: Get choked on purpose. Every time you're choked and someone saves you, they'll get a medal for it. I got my kickback within 10 minutes of the match starting because I told my friends to get choked on purpose. Stick close together. Don't get separated...and best of all...GOOD LUCK!

Edit:

forgot to mention this, but for the Brute that appears inside the church, make sure you guys collect the hammer that the enemies drop. There should be two of them...one enemy will have a hammer when you're first at the top sniping away and the second enemy will come when the chokers start to come out once you've released Nate. Also, when you first get inside the church, clear out all the enemies with the sniper rifle. Once you've cleared them out, have someone jump towards the ledge and jump back to trigger the second wave of enemies. That way, you guys won't die trying to go your way to the objective (where you're supposed to be hanging on those key figures).

Finalow

Oh man where do I begin...

I'll tell you what me and my friends had for boosters and kickbacks.

Me:

Booster Slot 1 - Regeneration Gold.
Booster Slot 2 - Overstock Gold.
Medal Kickback - Army of Three

Friend 1:

Booster Slot 2: Kickback Endurance Gold.
Medal Kickback: Army of Three

Friend 2:

Booster Slot 2: Team Safe Gold.
Medal Kickback: Juggernaut

First thing to note: Try not to die at all throughout the mission. You will need all of your lives for the statue part in the end. There needs to be at least two people with Army of Three equipped. Now most people would recommend you'd need one person to activate it when the brute comes out, but yesterday we took him out without activating it after failing the previous round with my friend activating his. Basically you just need to get the PAK-80 and have someone shoot the brute down. He'll go down really quick with the PAK. Next, make sure you get the Hammer in preparation to take down the armored RPG guys. Unfortunately, the Hammer won't be enough to take ALL of them down, but that's when Army of Three comes in. Activate it and tear them up. Grenade them too...it really helps take them down quickly. If you have any bullets left remaining from the PAK, use them on the armored RPG guys. Remember, the RPG guys always miss their first shot so pay extreme close attention to where they're shooting from. I know it's really tough to stay focused because not only do you have to defend the statue, you also have to look out for those armored soldiers with the shotguns/M9 heading your way. With any luck, you would have taken down all of the RPG guys (I believe there's 3 waves of them...the first wave is regular RPG guys, 2nd wave is the armored ones, and 3rd wave is regular ones again) and your focus should now to be clearing the rest of the enemies up on the level. After that, it's boss time. You'll face off against Militia Man, Hammer, and Cluster Bomb bosses. Have the other person activate Army of Three and take them out quickly and there! You've completed it!

A thing to note: With overstock gold, you can stack up to 6 additional medals after you have your kickback. So for example, when I activated my Army of Three and when it finished, I had 6 medals stacked already...so I just needed 4 more to get it back. With Kickback Endurance Gold, I believe the timer goes up to 45 seconds. It's really helpful.

A cool tip that's helpful: Get choked on purpose. Every time you're choked and someone saves you, they'll get a medal for it. I got my kickback within 10 minutes of the match starting because I told my friends to get choked on purpose. Stick close together. Don't get separated...and best of all...GOOD LUCK!

Edit:

forgot to mention this, but for the Brute that appears inside the church, make sure you guys collect the hammer that the enemies drop. There should be two of them...one enemy will have a hammer when you're first at the top sniping away and the second enemy will come when the chokers start to come out once you've released Nate. Also, when you first get inside the church, clear out all the enemies with the sniper rifle. Once you've cleared them out, have someone jump towards the ledge and jump back to trigger the second wave of enemies. That way, you guys won't die trying to go your way to the objective (where you're supposed to be hanging on those key figures).
awesome, thanks.
isn't medic good too? I'm always using that.

legend166

I think I'm 95% through the game now.

You know what Naughty Dog is really, really good at? Putting incredibly frustrating, completely unfun, almost game breaking enemy encounters into the end of their games. Seriously, it's ridiculous.

End game spoilers:
Ok, so the entire shooting mechanics are cover based. So you get into cover, pop out and shoot some guys. Occasionally move around to get into better positions, or if the enemies are going to strafe you or whatever. This entire system breaks down entirely WHEN THERE ARE ENEMIES THAT CAN TELEPORT BEHIND YOU AND SHOOT YOU WITH A SHOTGUN IN THE BACK. I just can't contain my hatred at those guys with the flaming heads. On top of that, they give them about 5x the amount of health as all the other enemies. So I've got guys with really powerful guns, who can teleport around me, and then kill me with one shot. And then after the initial fight with flaming head guys, they make you do it after being made drowsy by some drugs. Holy crap.

I was probably doing it wrong or something, but it was just really annoying.

I've figured out the one word I can use to describe all three Uncharted games - inconsistent. The highs are really high, but the lows are just frustratingly poor game design. It's like a Deus Ex: HR situation where they've outsourced the enemy encounters to another studio or something.

jett

D-Member

You know what Naughty Dog is really, really good at? Putting incredibly frustrating, completely unfun, almost game breaking enemy encounters into the end of their games. Seriously, it's ridiculous.

End game spoilers:
Ok, so the entire shooting mechanics are cover based. So you get into cover, pop out and shoot some guys. Occasionally move around to get into better positions, or if the enemies are going to strafe you or whatever. This entire system breaks down entirely WHEN THERE ARE ENEMIES THAT CAN TELEPORT BEHIND YOU AND SHOOT YOU WITH A SHOTGUN IN THE BACK. I just can't contain my hatred at those guys with the flaming heads. On top of that, they give them about 5x the amount of health as all the other enemies. So I've got guys with really powerful guns, who can teleport around me, and then kill me with one shot. And then after the initial fight with flaming head guys, they make you do it after being made drowsy by some drugs. Holy crap.

I've figured out the one word I can use to describe all three Uncharted games - inconsistent. The highs are really high, but the lows are just frustratingly poor game design. It's like a Deus Ex: HR situation where they've outsourced the enemy encounters to another studio or something.

During the entire campaign that game has taught you to move around and not get stuck in one place. Just fucking blindfire them with the Tau. Two shots and they're dead. It's nothing like Deus Ex, that's not only a gross exaggeration, but also pretty insulting to ND, lolz.

jax (old)

Banned
Whoever designed Museum was probably brain-dead. Hey, the brain-dead need work too!

its not that bad. I actually quite like it!

You would think, but remember female drivers....just saying. Good thing Drake didn't ask her to parallel park the thing.

you're lucky dragona is no longer a mod.

Pfft, museum is a good map. You shut your whore mouth!

yes!

The only map that sucks is Highrise.

and airport (a little). I don't really like it.

thuway

End game spoilers:

You just suck.

matmanx1

Well, currently at Chapter 12 in the single player campaign and as expected the graphics are absolutely blowing me away. The IQ is pretty much the best I've ever seen on a console game. ND deserves major props for making such a fantastic looking game.

I'm also enjoying the improvements to the melee combat to the point that I'd really rather brawl someone down than shoot them. In fact I could do with a whole lot less shooting in these games and would be really happy with a stronger emphasis on Tomb Raider like exploration with some brawling thrown in. But hey, maybe that's just me.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
awesome, thanks.
isn't medic good too? I'm always using that.
Team Medic is useless to me now. If you're sticking together, Team Medic becomes irrelevant because you can count on your team mates to quickly revive you. Instead of team medic, I'm a fan of Protector. The kickback is really useful especially in some of the intense parts of the match because you take half damage...it's kind of like Juggernaut in a way, only better because it benefits you and your team mates.

Kinyou

this is the Uncharted game where the main treasure was not clear or emphasized

El Dorado was clear cut and Shambalah/Shangralaw too

but in UC3, I have not idea what is the main treasure and it feels like it was not the focus of the game's story
I thought it was kind of a letdown that
the whole scene where Drake destroys the treasure (with the underwater rockets) was a pure cutscene, usually the game gave you control during all the big moments but not here

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009

End game spoilers:

If it's the encounter I think you're talking about, that one rocksssss. I love that encounter. There are like win buttons hidden on the sides of the pools, too.

Top Bottom