• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 3 |OT| All Developers Dream, But Not Equally

Replicant

If it's the encounter I think you're talking about, that one rocksssss. I love that encounter. There are like win buttons hidden on the sides of the pools, tool.

They're not going to help you much on Crushing if you're not fast on your feet and keep moving around. Especially if you don't find a hiding place few seconds after the battle starts. The game will respawn you on shitty location behind the pool. There's one 1st wave fucker who'll play hide and seek with you as well after you kill his comrades.

On Normal, why even bother hiding? Just run/gun + melee those fuckers. ND's new battle system which encourage you to melee and getting in their face works on normal but not on any other higher difficulty.

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
I think I'm 95% through the game now.

You know what Naughty Dog is really, really good at? Putting incredibly frustrating, completely unfun, almost game breaking enemy encounters into the end of their games. Seriously, it's ridiculous.

End game spoilers:
Ok, so the entire shooting mechanics are cover based. So you get into cover, pop out and shoot some guys. Occasionally move around to get into better positions, or if the enemies are going to strafe you or whatever. This entire system breaks down entirely WHEN THERE ARE ENEMIES THAT CAN TELEPORT BEHIND YOU AND SHOOT YOU WITH A SHOTGUN IN THE BACK. I just can't contain my hatred at those guys with the flaming heads. On top of that, they give them about 5x the amount of health as all the other enemies. So I've got guys with really powerful guns, who can teleport around me, and then kill me with one shot. And then after the initial fight with flaming head guys, they make you do it after being made drowsy by some drugs. Holy crap.

I was probably doing it wrong or something, but it was just really annoying.

I've figured out the one word I can use to describe all three Uncharted games - inconsistent. The highs are really high, but the lows are just frustratingly poor game design. It's like a Deus Ex: HR situation where they've outsourced the enemy encounters to another studio or something.

Well, some here's some tips to get you through:

There is around only a dozen
flaming heads throughout the entire game, so if you don't like them, you will not be bothered by them again except in two short sections of the game.

Also, Uncharted is most definitely not a cover based shooter. It is a shooter with a cover mechanic, but doesn't revolve around it. So if you are playing it like gears of war, stick to easy. You need to move around, make use of your agility and traverse the terrain instead of staying in cover on higher difficulties. As a bonus, it is more fun to play this way.

Also, if you move around that section of the game, you will notice that power weapons are littered around the arena. They are there for a reason. If you stick to your standard machine guns, you are going to have a hard time. Pick up the tau snipers, grenade launchers, and rocket launchers which are all around and you'll notice they go down in only few shots. Especially the tau snipers.

@rewrite

this stratégy really need people with a complete set of booster at level 3. while it's great . Finding those people randomly will be hard for me .
thanks for the tips anyway

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
gdt5016 said:
Just hit level 75. Awww yeah. Only online game I've ever hit the top for.
Hate to break it for you, but the cap is 100.

O0YEXl.jpg

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Finished the game

+ Melee is fantastic now, the contextual animation really brought it to life.
+ Liked that they took guns off Nate so often, definitely reduced the feeling of being a killing machine
+ Graphics
+
Young Drake. I want a game with him
+ First half of the game had tons of good puzzles. More like that please

- Formulaic as it gets. I mean how obvious was it (ending spoiler) that
you'd end up destroying the hidden city in the end
- Story had lots of potential but ended up wafer thin. Villains didn't really go anywhere, Nate and Sully didn't really go anywhere. Started strong and kind of fizzled out. I guess its the thing about the genre that the story is never deep, but I'd like to see them rise above that
- Chloe and Elena's faces
- I was on a media blackout and I still managed to see most of the major moments just through my brief glances. Be more sparing with your marketing please ND.
- Gameplay really needs to be more expansive. Some combat moments like in the shipyard were fantastic. But the platforming is way way too linear. I don't believe at all it'd be too resource intensive to offer multiple routes through these levels
- Was very short. Under 9 hours and I took my time exploring things.

Overall it was great as to be expected but it was very formulaic. Uncharted 2 rose above expectations, tried new things, and was successful for it. Uncharted 3 was UC2 with a new coat of paints.

I really think that another sequel like this will be pushing it too far. Basically this formula has been more or less perfected. They need to started thing of ways to expand the franchise in terms of gameplay. Really I would be happy for them to scale it back before they jump the shark. I mean Drake has survived two collapsing cities, a crashing train, plane and ship... You can't do much more before people start rolling their eyes.

Agree with most of what you say here. I thought UC3 was very good but its not UC2. I think a replay of it knowing exactly what to expect will see how strong it is.

My biggest complaint is the overall plot never really goes anywhere and the villains are a HUGE missed opportunity. Marlowe and Talbot are charismatic, they can command a scene as well as the heroes. But they're paper thin. You get no real insight as to really why they are doing what they are, or really explaining who they are with (yeah yeah, illuminati or whatevs). I think when they
kidnapped drake in Yemen or wherever they were, there was an opportunity to add some ambiguity to their methods

Overall the narrative isn't as tight, the conflict isn't as compelling. Very good game but, its missings some things.

Yagharek

I think I'm 95% through the game now.

You know what Naughty Dog is really, really good at? Putting incredibly frustrating, completely unfun, almost game breaking enemy encounters into the end of their games. Seriously, it's ridiculous.

End game spoilers:
Ok, so the entire shooting mechanics are cover based. So you get into cover, pop out and shoot some guys. Occasionally move around to get into better positions, or if the enemies are going to strafe you or whatever. This entire system breaks down entirely WHEN THERE ARE ENEMIES THAT CAN TELEPORT BEHIND YOU AND SHOOT YOU WITH A SHOTGUN IN THE BACK. I just can't contain my hatred at those guys with the flaming heads. On top of that, they give them about 5x the amount of health as all the other enemies. So I've got guys with really powerful guns, who can teleport around me, and then kill me with one shot. And then after the initial fight with flaming head guys, they make you do it after being made drowsy by some drugs. Holy crap.

I was probably doing it wrong or something, but it was just really annoying.

I've figured out the one word I can use to describe all three Uncharted games - inconsistent. The highs are really high, but the lows are just frustratingly poor game design. It's like a Deus Ex: HR situation where they've outsourced the enemy encounters to another studio or something.

This was my experience with that section too. Thankfully it is short-lived, and the tau sniper does come in handy as others have said.

I thought there were worse encounters in general play though. Usually when pinned down by snipers, someone will sneak up to within five metres and you are forced into hand to hand combat with them just before you kill the sniper.

So of course, you end up having to punch and when you do, the sniper kills you.

It's a broken mechanic that really irritated me in the last 3 chapters.

Just finished. In fact I played all 3 of the Uncharteds for the first time in the last 2 weeks.

Thoughts on this one:
+ love love *love* the melee fighting. this was a very welcome addition
+ nice variety of locales
+ some pretty exciting moments (
burning mansion for example
)
+ great character dialogue
+ story showed lots of promise
- story
wasted so much of that promise. i felt like the ending cut out like 15 minutes of explanations and more shit going on with marlowe etc.
- felt kinda short by the end of it, i think it took about 7 hours?

Altogether loved it, but was a bit disappointed by some plot aspects. It was a thrill ride that petered out just a bit towards the end IMO.

UC2 is my fave, but UC3 was great.

Just finished Normal game play for single player and a simple summary is "uneven focus".

I think its production values are through the roof but as others noted the problem is where they focused their engineering efforts. It was ultimately an uneven spread between story, game, and environment.

The story did not live up to the grand set pieces of the environment.

The environment had such a strong focus on setting the atmosphere... that it did not live up to the gaming. There were jaw dropping amazing stretches of corridor with stunning visuals which had little or no gameplay.

...And the gaming itself is always "fun" but really was simply overshadowed by the production values of everything else.

Having a "super awesome waterfall" backdrop or just an adequate backdrop of trees... As far as GAMING is concerned its pretty equivalent. Its nice but does not change gameplay.

Which means if GAMING was not the focus and STORY was not the focus then the ENVIRONMENTAL SET PIECES were nothing more than setting atmosphere.

They could have went the KOJIMA route and made an elaborate story to prop up the game or made more gaming activities out of the set pieces. Either way would have evened it out.

Hanmik

oh man..

I am just one trophy away from Platinum.. complete a coop game.. sounds easy, but last night the game decided to fuck me. I needed 5 tophies last night for my third ever platinum trophy. I got the first two fast (shot 75 in a row without dying and kill 50 without reloading) .. the third trophy was a bit harder than I expected, had to throw 10 grenades back and kill people.. I simply could not get the enemies to throw grenades. Took me 1 hour to find a good place for this trophy. But once I found the place it was easy enough.
So down to 2 trophies.. play an online multiplayer game. Played deathmatch and that took like 5 min. and that trophy was checked of the list.. so down to the last trophy.
Play an online coop game and finish it. Started an online coop adventure game, and discovered that that game mode is great fun. Played for about 20-30 min. and was just at the end of that game, when the message You have been disconected from PSN popped up.. that meant my trophy was lost.. played coop horde mode (or what ever it is calle) .. played for 20 min. and was at the second to last horde of enemies, when I threw some grenades and used my hammer at a large group of enemies. They all died and then I was back at the menu and a message popped up "You have been kicked form the game, because you killed a teammate. .. I switched off my PS3, and still need that simple trophy for my easy platinum ..

This was my experience with that section too. Thankfully it is short-lived, and the tau sniper does come in handy as others have said.

I thought there were worse encounters in general play though. Usually when pinned down by snipers, someone will sneak up to within five metres and you are forced into hand to hand combat with them just before you kill the sniper.

So of course, you end up having to punch and when you do, the sniper kills you.

It's a broken mechanic that really irritated me in the last 3 chapters.

Thats why you take out the sniper first.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
As long as you are rolling a lot, I think the snipers aren't too bad. You get an oddly generous amount of time with the sight on you.

spats

Is it worth waiting or should I just play through it? I'm itching to play it.

If you want to risk hating the shit out of the aiming and souring the game because of it, go for it.

So it's radically different to the previous 2 games?

There's very noticeable latency in the aiming. They shipped it in a broken state as far as I'm concerned.

Jaroof

I know it was mentioned that the fix for aiming is going to be able to be toggled in the options...
Are they doing that for the motion blur, too? That'd be cool.. to be able to see parts of the game with and without blur.

Gyrian

I know it was mentioned that the fix for aiming is going to be able to be toggled in the options...
Are they doing that for the motion blur, too? That'd be cool.. to be able to see parts of the game with and without blur.

I'm thinking the lack of motion blur is just a proper bug, it's not going to get a toggle switch.

Yagharek

Thats why you take out the sniper first.

You dont think I was aiming at the sniper before the other guy dragged me into a fight when I was happy to stay shooting?

edit:
Basically I was in the middle of shooting down 4 snipers. I had taken 3 down, and the last one was about to be shot by me (whilst both of us were crouching behind cover). Sniper pops his head up, I line him up, and another guy comes out of nowhere from the staircase, and this automatically drags me into a fistfight. Then before even the first staged button mashing sequence ends, the laser scope from the sniper is on me, I knock the other guy out and am promptly shot dead.

It should never have happened if the game didnt insist on making your decisions for you as per priority of how you want to take on the encounters.

It was an example of broken design repeated several times in my playthrough; something neither previous game had.

Hanmik

I'm thinking the lack of motion blur is just a proper bug, it's not going to get a toggle switch.

what lack of motion blur..? are there certain sections of the game that would look better/different with blur..? I really don´t remember the blur in UC2..

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
what lack of motion blur..? are there certain sections of the game that would look better/different with blur..? I really don´t remember the blur in UC2..
There IS no motion blur in the game.

Have you ever paused a movie during a fast scene and noticed that the image is blurry? If you pause a game without a motion blur you get a perfect still frame that looks like a screenshot. Motion blur is used to interpolate between frames and smooth out fast action and deliver a more realistic looking experience.

This was expertly used in Uncharted 2 and looked incredible yet was completely missing in the final version of Uncharted 3 (it was present in the beta).

Have to try it yourself lots of different opinions on the aiming.

Thats all I can tell you man. :)

As much as I do see the difference compared to Uncharted 2 in the whole aiming thing, it's really not bothering me that much.

It did in the beginning, but I got used to it, i'm almost half-way through the game now
where you have to chase Talbot in Yemen and it's kinda platformy I suppose
. I'm having a blast too.

Been having trouble in the co-op missions though, probably because I play with just one friend and we don't have a third person around, we're getting our asses handed out to us all the time :p

Hanmik

There IS no motion blur in the game.

Have you ever paused a movie during a fast scene and noticed that the image is blurry? If you pause a game without a motion blur you get a perfect still frame that looks like a screenshot. Motion blur is used to interpolate between frames and smooth out fast action and deliver a more realistic looking experience.

This was expertly used in Uncharted 2 and looked incredible yet was completely missing in the final version of Uncharted 3 (it was present in the beta).

thank you very much for the description.. 36 years old and still learning new tricks..!

CozMick

Banned
After playing Modern Warfare 3 for nearly 2 weeks I had a few games of U3 today and I must say the netcode and matchmaking in this game is near flawless.

After playing Modern Warfare 3 for nearly 2 weeks I had a few games of U3 today and I must say the netcode and matchmaking in this game is near flawless.

Yep, Naughty Dog knocked it out of the park with the multiplayer as far as I'm concerned. It's extremely fun and so well put together.

Mikey Jr.

Fuck, if we don't get patch notes today, then it won't be coming till atleast Monday then, right? I'm guessing ND has Thursday-Sunday off.

Dyno

Playing only once a week on game night with friends. We did chapters 13 through 16 before moving on.
That ship is just a crazy level. That is what ND does best: Take something big, give it a lot of detail, turn it sideways and then pour a lot of water on it. Just a crazy scenario that was done so well.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
There are still a few bugs if you're in a party, but it's still leagues above UC2's matchmaking.

Wickwire

Is it worth waiting or should I just play through it? I'm itching to play it.

I think people on in the thread made the aiming out to be bigger deal than it really was. While I did feel a difference between 2 and 3 I got used to it quickly and played through it twice, once on hard then on crushing.

Top Bottom