• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 3 |OT| All Developers Dream, But Not Equally

Riposte

I was disappointed that the stealth in UC3 was scaled back. In UC2 it felt like I could stealth most of the encounters in the game, not so much in this game.

This simply isn't true. There were only a few encounters you could really participate in stealth in and never completely.

jax (old)

Banned
the only thing missing in UC3 is stealth dart guns like in UC2/musuem. Maybe its me but it seems like shooting with the silenced pistol would alert enemies?? otherwise; i stealthed 2-3 areas in UC3. and had a blast doing them

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
I just came into post my impressions about the game so far (I'm playing on Hard and am a bit into Chapter 9 now), but I just want to say that I feel the same way as you. For the record, I wasn't a huge fan of the first Uncharted, but I absolutely adore Uncharted 2 and have played it many times over. It's the only game in which I've got a Platinum Trophy. I don't recall any of the combat scenarios in that game, even on Crushing, having been nearly as frustrating as just about every single firefight thus far in Uncharted 3. I honestly don't think I've enjoyed a single combat scenario so far in this game. Each time I've died at least once or twice from dudes just running up or spawning behind me. It's annoying.

It's like the developers wanted to keep players on their toes, but the gameplay absolutely does not support that. It's extremely difficult to shoot at enemies while they are running about, but the enemies have no trouble hitting you with amazing accuracy while you try to run about for better cover.

So far the combat scenarios have turned into a memorization game for me, just like the annoying chase parts and "run-towards-the-camera" sequences. Also, the three enemy types thing is just stupid. Is it even possible to kill those big guys without melee combat? I punched one a few times in the tower in Syria, then ran some distance away and blasted him in the upper torso/head about 7 times with the AK-47, but he didn't even react to getting hit. So contrived.

That's not to say I don't like the game. It's beautiful, and I like the characters, the plot, some of the puzzles, and all of the spectacles are pretty impressive to watch unfold, but goddamn if most of the action scenarios aren't just horribly frustrating. After loving Uncharted 2, I really hope things improve.

This right here is exactly how I felt about the game. The more I play the game (doing my Crushing run now), the more I realize it is a trial-and-error game, and those are the types of games that annoy me most. For instance I've always been a massive fan of stealth games, but I never liked Splinter Cell because there was always one, and only one, way to get through each section. Same thing with Uncharted 3 - you need to memorize which enemies spawn when and where, and then take them out in "order" from most to least dangerous.

A gamer friend of mine was over this weekend and he wanted to play Uncharted 3 as he has been getting more and more excited to try it. This guy plays through Gears on the highest difficulty setting, so safe to say he knows his stuff and has been playing games for a while. He got to the chase scene in
Colombia
and proceeded to die 20 times because he kept running the "wrong" way. After he finished the level he put down the controller and asked to play something else. That was exactly the level where I started to get annoyed with U3. Granted I only died 3 times on my first go, but it was because I turned a corner and took 1 second to think about where I'm supposed to go next. Apparently you're not allowed to do that. Apparently you're supposed to memorize the entire damn level in order not to die.

The sad thing is, this philosophy carries through to the gunfights, and the game really suffers for it.

jett

D-Member
the only thing missing in UC3 is stealth dart guns like in UC2/musuem. Maybe its me but it seems like shooting with the silenced pistol would alert enemies?? otherwise; i stealthed 2-3 areas in UC3. and had a blast doing them

It doesn't alert anyone...just don't miss. :p

That might be true, but I remember UC1 enemies having this bizarre invulnerability when they were animating having been shot. Made anything but the pistol near useless, didn't it?

Yes, that was it. After being shot with a bullet from the AK47 they had a short invulnerability window. They still went down really quickly though.

jax (old)

Banned
This right here is exactly how I felt about the game. The more I play the game (doing my Crushing run now), the more I realize it is a trial-and-error game, and those are the types of games that annoy me most. For instance I've always been a massive fan of stealth games, but I never liked Splinter Cell because there was always one, and only one, way to get through each section. Same thing with Uncharted 3 - you need to memorize which enemies spawn when and where, and then take them out in "order" from most to least dangerous.

A gamer friend of mine was over this weekend and he wanted to play Uncharted 3 as he has been getting more and more excited to try it. This guy plays through Gears on the highest difficulty setting, so safe to say he knows his stuff and has been playing games for a while. He got to the chase scene in
Colombia
and proceeded to die 20 times because he kept running the "wrong" way. After he finished the level he put down the controller and asked to play something else. That was exactly the level where I started to get annoyed with U3. Granted I only died 3 times on my first go, but it was because I turned a corner and took 1 second to think about where I'm supposed to go next. Apparently you're not allowed to do that. Apparently you're supposed to memorize the entire damn level in order not to die.

The sad thing is, this philosophy carries through to the gunfights, and the game really suffers for it.

columbia?

either way; that chase sequence was NOT that hard. hilarious how you say a hardcore GEARS head can't work out how to do it. Its like 100% linear.

probably replied to @zefah but you can easily kill the big guys with grenades or guns. I've done it. :)

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
columbia?

either way; that chase sequence was NOT that hard. hilarious how you say a hardcore GEARS head can't work out how to do it. Its like 100% linear.

probably replied to @zefah but you can easily kill the big guys with grenades or guns. I've done it. :)

It wasn't hard, but it required memorization unless you were extremely lucky or just some kind of prodigy who mystically knew the way. I probably died about five times due to taking the wrong path. It's 100% linear, but if you even take a second to realize where you need to go next, you will be caught. I wonder if anyone got through that part where you run through a guy's apartment and are required to veer left behind the couch on their first attempt. That stood out as being particularly cheap to me.

Instead of being a fun interactive cutscene, as I'm sure they intended it to be, the whole thing was quite frustrating.

I love challenging games. Demon's Souls and Dark Souls are two of my favorite games ever and they never feel unfair or frustrating to me. This game, though...

At least the load times are quick after dying!

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
I find it surprising that people had to replay the
young Drake
chase so many times, I found that the game let you know exactly where to go and when.

I wonder if anyone got through that part where you run through a guy's apartment and are required to veer left behind the couch on their first attempt. That stood out as being particularly cheap to me.
I did it on my first try.

It wasn't hard, but it required memorization unless you were extremely lucky or just some kind of prodigy who mystically knew the way. I probably died about five times due to taking the wrong path. It's 100% linear, but if you even take a second to realize where you need to go next, you will be caught. I wonder if anyone got through that part where you run through a guy's apartment and are required to veer left behind the couch on their first attempt. That stood out as being particularly cheap to me.

Maybe you didn't see the clues, but actually the game shows very clearly where you have to go. And that part of the apartment you are able to go actually on the right side if you're fast. IMO the chases sequences in this game were a fresh addition.

Crushing Co-op (Arena and Adventure) has really taken a step back from U2, due to the way the enemies behave.

Dudes just sprint through your gunfire like you're spitting marshmallows at them; explosions are about at forceful as a fart to the Brutes; guys take more bullets to the face than it takes to get their helmet off; but mostly: absolutely terrible Siege locations. Every map has at least one Siege spot where you are completely exposed from nearly all angles and you have practically no cover.

Sure, it's beatable, but I don't find it even remotely as enjoyable as as U2 Crushing.

And I want headshots back! Give them to me ND! I know the reason they're gone is because of that stupid Hunter mode, so get rid of it -- nobody plays it anyway, and those that do only do so in hopes of getting new treasures, not because the mode is fun.

I find it surprising that people had to replay the
young Drake
chase so many times, I found that the game let you know exactly where to go and when.

I only died twice, both due to the wonky jumping: when jumping to the pole to swing across, Drake jumped into it like he was jumping against a wall; right after Sully first helps you, you go to the right and up a ledge and Drake (again) jumped and pushed off the wall (twice, this time).

BeeDog

Maybe my Uncharted skills have deflated, but I honestly found Uncharted 3 the hardest game in the series, mainly due to the very overbearing trial-and-error approach to the combat scenarios on Crushing. I also died a lot of times during my first Normal run, but maybe I can chalk that on the terrible controls (even though I didn't notice them). :p

In retrospect, Uncharted 2 has the best single-player campaign out of all three, by far. It has more freeform combat scenarios (and more of them), and it does a better job of placing enemies around you in a more fair manner.

Koyuga

I was disappointed that the stealth in UC3 was scaled back. In UC2 it felt like I could stealth most of the encounters in the game, not so much in this game.

I wish it to be more featured in the next game. I mean I like the shooter gameplay in the game just fine, but it'd be nice if there were alternate, less lethal methods of dealing with Drake's foes. Obviously I'm not proposing that Uncharted go completely stealth, but it would be a nice touch if it were at least possible to complete the game by stealthy means.

I'm doing my second playthrough now, on crushing. Just finished the chateau level and I'm very pleased with the difficulty so far. Far more manageable than say Drake's Fortune, which at times could be horribly unforgiving. I'm sure by the end the game will prove much more troublesome for me but it feels that I can at least make a few mistakes.

Same here , there are various area totally stealthable...

The syria part with cutter , or the docks ( start of chapter 13 ) for example ..

Also the silenced guns are in chapter 4

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I do think the stealth was placed well in UC3, but I absolutely detest the fact that being spotted immediately alerts all enemies to your position. UC2 had the same issue but I somehow found it more bothersome here. They really need to work on that.

Have you finished Uncharted on crushing? Now that's a challenge. It will make you want to rip your balls out in frustration. UC3 was a good challenge every now and then though like you say, but still the easiest of the three for me. I did die a lot the first time so it wasn't a cakewalk either but it was never too tough with the exception of a couple places. There's also simply less shootouts in the game and more "cinematic" moments than the other two.

I have not finished Uncharted 1 on Crushing, but I have played it. I would agree that Uncharted 1 Crushing is more difficult than UC3, but normal difficulty in UC3 was much more challenging than the equivalent setting in the original. UC1 is definitely more annoying than UC2 or 3, however, due to the way enemies bob around.

cackhyena

Replaying with the new controls on Crushing. I'm definitely having more fun, and noticing new ways to tackle certain areas, having to take things a lil more cautiously. I'm kinda confused as to why they have the new controls as alternate instead of standard. Just dumb. Also dumb that you have to reset the option every time you come back to the game.

Maybe no one wants this, but I'd love the option to stealth every area with the AI set up for that as well as controls a little tighter to accommodate for U4. Of course there will be the funneled action areas and set pieces we all dig, but I want that option if I so choose. Trying to stealth some of these areas feels so artificial, even though you can tell it's set up for you to start out that way. It's almost designed to fall apart instead for letting you go through the whole area that way. I still feel U2 let you do it so much more, and more competently.

Just to add a point those big (not the armored ones) guys who like to melee can be killed with gunfire I have done it but they are obviously bullet resistant. I believe I used a shotgun multiple times.

Maybe no one wants this, but I'd love the option to stealth every area with the AI set up for that as well as controls a little tighter to accommodate for U4.

I would love it if you could sneak through the whole game. I love the stealth kills, and the traversal system lets you set up ambushes just about anywhere which adds a ton of replayability. That being said, it'd be nice to have the ability to hide bodies or at least not have the AI go into full blown kill mode at the drop of a hat.

JB1981

Crushing Co-op (Arena and Adventure) has really taken a step back from U2, due to the way the enemies behave.

Dudes just sprint through your gunfire like you're spitting marshmallows at them; explosions are about at forceful as a fart to the Brutes; guys take more bullets to the face than it takes to get their helmet off; but mostly: absolutely terrible Siege locations. Every map has at least one Siege spot where you are completely exposed from nearly all angles and you have practically no cover.

This i agree with 100%. There is something wrong with the hit detection. Your bullets disappear. It's the oddest thing ever and didn't happen like this in previous games.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
This i agree with 100%. There is something wrong with the hit detection. Your bullets disappear. It's the oddest thing ever and didn't happen like this in previous games.

Having just played through Uncharted 2 a few weeks ago, I have the same impression. There have been many instances where it feels like I'm getting robbed and my bullets are just vanishing into thin air. Maybe it's general lack of reactions from enemies when they get shot? A lot of the times it *feels* like my bullets should be hitting an enemy, but I'm not sure if they are or not. I never had this problem in UC2.

jax (old)

Banned
I do think the stealth was placed well in UC3, but I absolutely detest the fact that being spotted immediately alerts all enemies to your position. UC2 had the same issue but I somehow found it more bothersome here. They really need to work on that.

I have not finished Uncharted 1 on Crushing, but I have played it. I would agree that Uncharted 1 Crushing is more difficult than UC3, but normal difficulty in UC3 was much more challenging than the equivalent setting in the original. UC1 is definitely more annoying than UC2 or 3, however, due to the way enemies bob around.

actually, I think the stealth post alert is more "real" than most other stealth games. sure you get spotted "oh well, i'll go back to my post/scripted routines, like I didn't see you" not 4 minutes later. They spot you, they're gung ho about killing you.

I don't really have a problem with it. you messed up? you done goofed.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
actually, I think the stealth post alert is more "real" than most other stealth games. sure you get spotted "oh well, i'll go back to my post/scripted routines, like I didn't see you" not 4 minutes later. They spot you, they're gung ho about killing you.

It's annoying in certain situations where other enemies really shouldn't be alerted. If you get spotted by a lone guy and end up beating him to death in a fist fight, enemies far away will still be alerted.

Also, is it just me or does this game checkpoint you immediately after you've been spotted? Maybe I've just had some bad luck, but it seems like they only give you one chance at going stealthy in this game.

Zen

Banned

Yeah but it's like everyone suddenly is on your ass. That should only happen if there's a gunshot. Also the stealth sequences tend to be longer than in Uncharted 2 (1 only really had 1) and punish you so much harder for being seen (like holy fuck at
Abducted

ironcreed

Banned
Finally have this on the way from Gamefly. One of those popcorn games I really just want to play through once for the experience. Don't care for the multiplayer, so this will be a top tier rent for the campaign alone. Looking forward to it.

deepbrown

This simply isn't true. There were only a few encounters you could really participate in stealth in and never completely.

I've stealthed more areas in UC3 than in UC2. Feels like there are more opportunities to do this, but then maybe I missed some in UC2?

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks

Sure, it's beatable, but I don't find it even remotely as enjoyable as as U2 Crushing.

And I want headshots back! Give them to me ND! I know the reason they're gone is because of that stupid Hunter mode, so get rid of it -- nobody plays it anyway, and those that do only do so in hopes of getting new treasures, not because the mode is fun.
I do agree about co-op arena being a step back from UC2's co-op arena. In 2, it was way more enjoyable and fun than what 3 is offering. Here's my quick rundown:

- In Gold Rush, you won't get attacked until you're near the base while in Uncharted 2, enemies started to attack you right from the start and on your way to the base. Because of this, it makes Gold Rush an incredibly boring round depending on the map you play in. The only good one I can think of where it doesn't suck is on Desert Village, and that's only because all the enemies spawn on top of the stairs and onwards to the treasure capture zone.

- There's always one shitty area in Siege where it's just not fun and you're waiting for enemies to come. Example: In Yemen, there's a stupid capture zone on one of those towers...you're always just sitting up there waiting until enemies start appearing. Again, boring. I don't necessarily mind an area where there is no cover (Yemen is the number one offender of this with the capture zone that's outside where the RPG is), but it really does suck when you lose all your lives in that particular siege round because there's no covering space.

- Pistol ammo is always scarce on some maps. I never have problems having long range ammo because enemies drop them and there's always a bunch scattered around the map, but pistol ammo is always a pain to find for some reason. It shouldn't be.

- The inclusion of "auto ammo pick up" is nice and convenient, but sometimes I'm just reloading my gun and it'll pick up the ammo of the gun I've just reloaded. Now, most people will think this isn't a problem, but it really is on the later rounds and let me explain. When it picks it up, I screw myself and the rest of my team mates who want to pick up that gun. There's been times where I've just fired about 5 clips and reload, and it'll still pick up that gun to give me the 5 ammo I just used, completely wasting its purpose for myself and for my team mates. It'd be nice to have the option of whether or not you want to pick it up, but I understand that a lot of people didn't like that because they end up picking another weapon instead of the ammo they want.

- The Brutes are a drag. Well, they're really not much of a drag if you have a Clusterbomb as your medal kickback since that will always kill them in one shot IF you aim it just right. This however makes other kickbacks useless (at least to me) when I'm playing Co-op arena on crushing. Why bother with other ones when the Cluster Bomb will take care of the Brute and other mini-bosses in one shot? You can always equip Army of Three too, but IMO it ain't even worth it. The Brutes don't even get "stunned" by grenades that you throw at them either and this is also a problem. In Uncharted 2, you could stun the big machine guys buying you a few seconds to get away. You can't do this with the brutes in UC3 because the only way they'll get "stunned" is when you remove the armor off him, which requires you to waste so much fucking ammo. Grenades SHOULD stun them.

- Headshots NEED to come back. Seriously. I guess the reason why they were removed is to make the game a lot more tougher than it needs to be.

- In Gold Rush, it feels like the timer to when you stop getting money is way too short. I really do like it that after a certain time period you won't get money for your kills because this prevents people from just farming for cash/kills in Gold Rush. Sometimes though, it feels like when I capture 1 out of the 2, the timer for the second capture runs out way too quickly.

- Being able to "stealth kill" the helmet guys also needs to come back. Why can't you do it in UC3 while you could in UC2? It's so dumb that it was removed.

- The shotgun is WORTHLESS. Not the double barrel one, but the ones that the helmet guys drop.

- This glitch needs to be fixed:

Let's say it's just me and a friend playing co-op arena. I fall down in health and I'm waiting to be healed. My friend then comes and heals me/saves me, but he dies in the process of doing it. The round will END because the game will think both of us died when I'm still alive. This glitch was present in Uncharted 2 and it's still here. I was hoping it would be removed because it isn't fair that we lose the round when one of us is still alive. Fix this ASAP.

- Not being able to do custom 10 rounds of Survival/Gold Rush/Siege is disappointing. So so so so disappointing. :|

I think that about covers it.

I for one think that Co Op in Uncharted 3 is way better than in 2.

I understand the complaints that enemies are harder, take to many shots and have to much armor. They are valid complaints, but you know what, I'll take that. Uncharted 2's co op Arena with three decent players players was really fucking easy, even on crushing. It wasn't fun at all when I knew that I was going to win anyway. No challange means that co-operation wasn't needed and just turned Arena into a lame score attack.

Co Op Adventure is better IMO too. I feel that in 3 the levels have more variety of enemies and a variety of different type of missions. (Defend the statue, Take out the turrets, defeat the bosses) And while Uncharted 2 Adventure Crushing mode was hard too, Uncharted 3's is balls to the wall hard. You really need three skilled players to finish it. To me Adventure in 3 just seems more repayable. I've played Monastery like three times in a row one day and it didn't bother me too much at all.

One thing that needs fixing though is the SHOTGUNS!!!! They are so useless. They do nothing. Twenty shots doesn't even kill a armored guy. WTF that is stupid. Shotguns should rip up that armor and knock it off. On crushing it's even worse it only affects like 10% of the enemies.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
The armored guys really are ridiculous in this game, aren't they? I used 4 grenades on one in Syria last night and the guy just kept coming. It really feels like they are forcing you to kill certain enemies in specific ways. Armored guys must be eliminated by well placed head shots, big brutes must be taken down through contrived melee scenes. Annoying.

jett

D-Member
The armored guys really are ridiculous in this game, aren't they? I used 4 grenades on one in Syria last night and the guy just kept coming. It really feels like they are forcing you to kill certain enemies in specific ways. Armored guys must be eliminated by well placed head shots, big brutes must be taken down through contrived melee scenes. Annoying.

They die with two grenades, you should aim better. :p

Dammit!

I ordered this on Amazon 2 days ago, my credit card got charged but item hasn't been shipped yet, and now I noticed they dropped the price to £24.99!!

Damn you Amazon!!!

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
They die with two grenades, you should aim better. :p

I guess so. The guy was really far away, and some of the grenades might not have landed right as his feet, but I did get the stagger animation from the guy after each one exploded.

So can I have more than one mod on a weapon in competitive mp?

Yes, if you use the weapon expert booster. On level 1 it gives you an additional mod slot for sidearms, on level 2 you get instant switching between weapons and on level 3 an additional mod slot for long guns.

Though personally i would recommend trying to unlock some of the character weapons instead (Marlowe's M9, Elena's G-Mal and Sully's Micro are my favorites), so that you can use the booster slot for something else. All of those weapons have 2-3 mods that can't be changed, so you have to chose weapons sporting combinations of mods that suit you best.

Finally completed it.

It suffered from a veeeery slow start in comparison to U2, which really dampened my pre-patch impressions. Luckily I decided to wait for the patch and picked it up again from the chateau, after which things really start to get going. Personally I'd put it up on that pedestal alongside U2; it may be less consistent, but it probably has more memorable individual sections. Both are due immediate replay.

A few things I noticed:

They really made good use of the uneven floor tech they developed for U2. Whereas before it felt like a bit of a tech demo, here it's integral to the gameplay (
boat and plane
sections particularly).

I had no beef with the combat, enemy placement or such, yet I did find the respawn points very annoying. Plenty of times I'd fought my way to a specific location on a map to try and gain a vantage point, only to die and be respawned slap-bang in the middle of the damn map! How hard would it be to respawn me in the last cover position? I'd prefer to start the whole fight from scratch and do it my way than be forced in to a position I never would have taken in the first place.

Generally I though the levels were well designed and gave you plenty of options in how you wanted to approach a fight (which kind of led to my beef above). On more than one occasion I'd kill off the last bad guy only to find an alternate route after the event that may have made things easier, or at least something interesting to try next time around. The game does have some issues with linearity (mostly due to the increased chase scene count), but combat isn't one of them.

I don't understand the bitching about the
young Drake chase
at all.

It's not "trial and error." It's just thinking quick on your feet and paying attention to your surroundings. for example:
oh shit I hit a dead end at the top of this staircase... oh wait there's an open window over the door... so I guess I need to jump onto this ledge and climb through this window, etc.

Gun battles on crushing are exactly the same way. Thinking quick on your feet and reacting quickly to different situations, not "memorizing spawns, trial and error etc."

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
Ah him. Blindfire with automatic weapons is your best strategy.

no. If you are using automatic weapons against these guys is just making your life difficult. Automatic rifles should only be used on regular enemies. You need to immediately drop your automatic weapons and pick up the hammers, sniper rifles, and taus, either by killing normal enemies who have them, or by finding them in the environments. Nearly all the fights ahve a few of them lying around.

Ah him. Blindfire with automatic weapons is your best strategy.

If I recall recorrectly, and we're talking about the guy with the LMG on the ship deck, I ran around avoiding his fire until a guy with an M32 Hammer appeared on the sidelines. I shot him, got the M32 and blew up the LMG guy. Maybe that was too hard, but it was fun. I thought it was the way I was "supposed" to do it.

Still on my crushing run ...everything is alright but chapter 14 is just ...quite annoying really ..that frustrating moment when you die in the ball area and the only thing you can do is quickly , get the Tau sniper, kill the 3 snipers and the guy with the grenade launcher ( 4 ball already , and then quickly kill the 2 annoying guys with their Kal shooting at you )1 ball each meaning you don't have anymore and all of this very quickly since you have 2 armored guys and 2 regular guys flanking you ... Shipyard was a piece of cake ..but this ... imagine my frustration when i'm correctly hidden from their line of fire , only for them to touch that oxygen bin , not far resulting in drake going out of cover and me taking that shotgun shot straight in the face ...

Imagine my frustration when i'm trying to quickly kill that sniper only for the "lustres" ( the light above that are moving ) JUST GOING into my line of fire at this moment , wasting a precious TAU bullet

The only "possible "annoying place left is possibly the end of chapter 20 .. i hoep i'll manage without wanting to kill someone ...

crushing run , still ongoing ...

Top Bottom