• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 3 |OT| All Developers Dream, But Not Equally

jett

D-Member
Just finished it, and I have to agree that it wasn't quite as good as 2, mainly because of the gunplay and pacing. But a quick question: near the end
when Drake is drugged from drinking the water, what happens if you shoot Sully? I let him shoot me, I literally couldn't do it!

Nothing. Like most things you do in the game, it doesn't really matter.

Mikey Jr.

So are we 100% sure the map pack is coming out Tuesday? ND hasn't even officially announced it nor have they announced officially the last map nor price. Fuck I was hoping I would be able to play it this Tuesday.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
Okay I just got done playing and the U2 villains most definitely still made noises and Lovac still had his jingle noise.
Generic UC2 villains don't say shit. It's true you can still hear Lovac's bell, but they have no voice work whatsoever. Lazarevic, Draza, and Flynn are good. So is Parkoso or w/e his name is. Tetram, Dragan, Vodnik, and Sark are the ones affected.

Mikey Jr.

Generic UC2 villains don't say shit. It's true you can still hear Lovac's bell, but they have no voice work whatsoever. Lazarevic, Draza, and Flynn are good. So is Parkoso or w/e his name is. Tetram, Dragan, Vodnik, and Sark are the ones affected.

They had voices?

The shipyard/cruise ship sequence may just as well have been a fever dream for all that it did to move the story forward; in fact a fever dream would have been preferable to the ridiculous way in which Drake washed up on shore and promptly found his way to Elena's hotel room. It's only then that you realise just how much Naughty Dog wrote themselves into a corner by plotting their game around whatever glorious set-pieces they could come up with during their brainstorming sessions. The numerous and jarring happenstance incidents are born out of such an approach and are detrimental to the cohesion of the story; not only that but major problems such as, outside of Drake and Sully, Naughty Dog were completely at a loss as to what to do with the characters.

I should state that I enjoyed the game but it felt less a cohesive and unified experience, as was the case with Uncharted 2, and more a disparate collection of stunning set-pieces loosely tied together by a paper thin story where lazy devices such as happenstance and luck dictate the journey's end. It's a shame really as Marlowe had the makings of a really compelling and memorable villain, but she was left on the sidelines as there was so little room for the characters to maneuver. I think the lesson ND will ultimately learn from UC3 is that the set-piece is secondary to telling a cohesive and focused story and that the story should always be moving forward, and that there is no place for set-pieces that restrict the telling of the story and push the it sideways instead of forward.

UC3 had the unfortunate task of following a game which simply didn't miss a beat, was almost perfectly plotted and paced from start to finish. Still, when it worked, it was glorious. 8/10.
Surviving a train crash and having a sherpa miraculously find you in the middle of a blizzard isn't happenstance? Elena and some guy that just happens to know wtf is going on being in the village you wake up at isn't happenstance?

Elena conveniently having filmed an episode of her show about the very architecture used for the building imprisoning Drake, and the knowledge it nets her in planning an escape isn't happenstance?

What game were you expecting if it wasn't Uncharted?

Edit: Most flaws people have with 3 can be found in 2. Matter of fact, it's almost like a mirrored thread.

3: "Drake is stranded in a desert with no water and he's climbing around and they throw him into gunfights without ever giving him water?"

2: "Drake is stranded in a snowstorm with a severe loss of blood and he's climbing around and they throw him into gunfights like nothing happened?"

3: "The last area feels rushed. The textures aren't as sharp as the rest of the game. I hate the
smurf guardians
"

2: "The last area feels rushed. It's over too quickly. I hate the
ghost rider enemies
"

Reading the Uncharted novel. Got kind of hooked but there are parts that feel cliche/cheap. Almost like an episode of Scooby-doo.

But the mystery into the myths really draw me in and reading their lines with their voices in my head is fantastic.

What I appreciate most so far is being able to experience these characters outside of shootouts and shit and actually get into their headspace. I'm nowhere near finished but I'll take more books down the road if this is good through to the end. It's simple and charming. Nothing more, nothing less.

Tokubetsu

I'm on right now if anyone wants to do MP. Tokubetsu on PSN.

Holy shit Just won a game and went 27-6. When I joined we were losing 3-12. Now that's the very fucking definition of "carry." I managed to tie it and THEN go above and beyond and drag their asses into the winner's circle. Thug life.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
The FAL nerf or 'fix' can't come soon enough. I'm so fucking tired of seeing that gun. Every TDM match is so stale.

Mikey Jr.

The FAL nerf or 'fix' can't come soon enough. I'm so fucking tired of seeing that gun. Every TDM match is so stale.

A fal nerf is needed. It is my favourite gun, but I will admit it is OP like hell.

M9 with ROF mod is up there too. I would remove that mod all together.

Also, AK needs a buff. Seriously, the only people that use it are low levels. It is such a piece of crap. I wish they made it like the summer beta again. It was really good back then.

Wait... Maps are coming? And what new skins?

Well I know maps are coming but today?

Apparently, even though there has been like no official announcement from ND, lol.

Apparently the maps are up on the Asian PS store. They cost $10. Glad I bought FHC because I planned on buying all the maps anyways.

iLLmAtlc

Agreed about the FAL. It's pretty annoying when you get killed by people using FAL+FF and then you catch them using M9 or G-MAL (because they switched to grab the RPG) and beat them like a level 10 0 legacy player.

I hope ND can nerf it without some other gun becoming OP though, which means they'll probably have to do something about RoF. I understand how difficult it is to achieve such a balance though so I wouldn't mind waiting.

Mikey Jr.

I hope ND can nerf it without some other gun becoming OP though, which means they'll probably have to do something about RoF. I understand how difficult it is to achieve such a balance though so I wouldn't mind waiting.

Lol, there is only like 5 primary guns, why is it so hard to balance it?

jett

D-Member
New co-op adventure is in the pipeline...apparently??

6712358759_d9e4e754f4_b.jpg

Nice that the Fortune Hunters deal got kicked up a few notches.

gdt

Hmm! That pic seems to hint at more Co-Op adventure stuff! I didn't think we'd get that, seeing as they might have to record new dialog.

gdt

New co-op adventure is in the pipeline...apparently??

6712358759_d9e4e754f4_b.jpg

Nice that the Fortune Hunters deal got kicked up a few notches.

Looks like it's their story in getting that stuff. That room is that hard as fuck sewer room in Uncharted 1, right?

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
Holy shit @ the DLC. That shit is insane.

HYPEEEEEEEEEEE.

Omfg, I will use Doughnut Sully like a madman. Fuck YES.

Tokubetsu

Oh fuck man, I think I have a chubby. Real happy about my FHC purchase now. God damn. This just made my day. Thanks ND!

Come on mappack why aren't you up yet? ='(

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
Oh man that co-op adventure picture is so fucking sick. If we get to play as Lazarevic, Eddy, and Flynn in their own adventure...my god. My fucking god.

Bebpo

Banned
Is there a gaf group of people playing this regularly if I wanted to start playing the online mode? Is it still entry-level friendly at this point? I really had a good time with gaffers during Uncharted 2, but I haven't touched the online portion of U3 at all yet.

Tokubetsu

Is there a gaf group of people playing this regularly if I wanted to start playing the online mode? Is it still entry-level friendly at this point? I really had a good time with gaffers during Uncharted 2, but I haven't touched the online portion of U3 at all yet.

I don't have a mic (yet) but I play everyday. I'm rank 43 right now and aside from the 12 hours it took me to get there roughly, I'm new. No legacy.
Tokubetsu @ PSN

I haven't done any co-op yet either.

Mikey Jr.

I'm not particularly excited about the co-op stuff, but playing as the 3 enemies sounds pretty cool.

Hopefully the next pack will have maps in it though.

Rikyfree

I don't have a mic (yet) but I play everyday. I'm rank 43 right now and aside from the 12 hours it took me to get there roughly, I'm new. No legacy.
Tokubetsu @ PSN

I haven't done any co-op yet either.

I play occasionally. Add me- Qlaahrqueh
I can invite you both to the U3 GAF chat.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
Is the FH Pass still up for purchase?
Yes. It says it on the blog post. With this new announcement that they added more stuff for club members, they'd be doing themselves a disservice if they were to stop offering it. I think it's worth a purchase, IMO.

eloestmn

Hooray for whatever that co-op DLC is gonna be! Been wanting to play as the villains since I first played U2. Makes me keep hope alive for a survival only or siege only mode.

While I was at ND, they were hard at work on the DLC -- they had a full (separate) team working on it. I was surprised they dedicated that many resources to it. Looks nice!

Top Bottom