• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 3 |OT| All Developers Dream, But Not Equally

Tokubetsu

Played UC a couple of month ago for the first time and thought it was pretty awesome. About to crack into UC2 within in the next week. After finishing that, what do I have to look forward to with UC3? Since the hype has settled since its release, what is the verdict on it compared to UC2?

Not as good as 2.

I don't remember UC2 having big balance issues like UC3 MP has.

I do.

VqxzQ.jpg

Never forget.

The most important aspect of UC2 that isn't present or as good as in UC3 is the controls. I played UC2 yesterday and it's a night and day difference. Aiming, shooting and moving around feels much better in UC2. UC3 aiming slows down WAAY too much although UC2 does too it's still easy to make precise shots. In UC3 it's a headache trying to get a headshot or just keep your reticule straight. I prefer all the things in UC3 MP but the fact that it has inferior graphics, shooting, and other minor issues make it hard for me to say the game is very very good. It's fun but the gameplay is seriously annoying to me. I can't stand using the gmal or FAL or sniper in UC3 while in UC2 they feel like a dream to use.

Revven

No?

Situational Awareness?

Skeletons making no noise at all?

Everyone using Down the irons/Fleetfoot?

I think he's mostly referring to weapons, rather than boosters and what not. To a degree, though, UC2 is still more balanced as a cohesive whole because... there's no kickbacks, silly powerplays, and no load outs (everybody started off with an AK-47 and 92-FS). Those three things that UC3 added throw off the balance a lot.

It's also sad that UC3's health model is exactly like UC2's 1.05 except with 1-2 more bullets needed to kill someone. Meaning, leg shots take the same damage as body shots. Making things even more imba as well as unsafe (rolling, climbing).

I chalk it up to ND completely ignoring everyone's feedback from the summer beta and listening to some random group of testers they had... otherwise how the hell did they end up with the catastrophe that was the Subway beta? So awful. (Despite rolling and sprinting being safer because there was no stopping power at all).

*sigh* And yet, I still play the MP as though ND hasn't 'betrayed' me.

Edit: To clarify on UC2's balance, overall it was just better designed, dare I say competently designed. It was only ruined when 1.05 came along and then 1.06 (oh god the spawns). UC3 doesn't feel like that at all, especially when looking at what we got in October. That wasn't competently designed, that was ... awfully and horrendously designed. I just hope the same thing doesn't happen to UC3, where the game gets progressively worse with each subsequent patch/update.

Finally playing through UC3.

This game sucks. Every level is so contrived, sneak for 20% then kill 100 guys, then sneak for 5% then epic moment, then kill another 100 guys. The monster closets are ridiculous and stupid. It's just been a chore playing through it.

But, after one moment, I was finally brought to complain about the game.

I'm in some level where I'm supposed to quietly sneak from one place to another and not alert the guards. Trying to get onto the airplane at night in whatever stupid country I'm in.. Yemen maybe. First time I played it I realized that if you alert one guard, like 20 guys show up and you have to kill them and it's wicked annoying. And so, I'm in this outdoor area there's like 12 guards, and I patiently sneak for about 10 minutes eliminating each one, one by one. So finally I hav the last 2 guards and a silencer, they're next to each other, so I take out one, then immediately shoot the 2nd, yet that trips the "Alert," and so suddenly guards appear OUT OF NOWHERE with shotguns... literally, they appear in spots I had already been through and had already killed everybody. One, also, spawns NEXT TO ME on a shipping container that I'm standing on. He naturally, has a shotgun, and he kills me. And I'm reset to the beginning of that zone with all of the guards alive.

Listen, I get the great graphics, the quality voice acting, the awesome scenary, an the epic moments, but the entire game is undone by this stupid shit. Guards appearing out of nowhere, every level being more of a chore than the last. The game has terrible pacing, which is very unlike Uncharted 2, which had excellent pacing. In UC2, the game had enough pacing where you'd have a few sequences of intense gun battles, followed by enough time to soak in the scenary that when you got into another gun battle, it wasn't overwhelming. In UC3, every level is 90% gun battles that are boring as shit because enemies just spawn endlessly, without any rhyme or reason, and you have to murder them all. The fact that you can play through an area with stealth, eliminating 90% of the guards, with just 1 left, and then if that ONE guard notices you 1 second before he dies, 20 guards spawn around you in spots where YOU ARE STANDING... It just ruins the game.

I'll have more to say when I finish the game, at this point, I've still got some left... but I was finally pulled to post about how shitty it is after this stupid sequence.

Tokubetsu

No, you're right, the spawn closets hurt the game a lot, and just totally ruin your flow 98% of the time. It's worse when the game will just spawn enemies with a powerful weapon in a spot your done with/not even aware of just so you can get killed and memorize where they came from. Game LOVES spawning dudes with grenade launchers and sniper rifles behind you, at the start of an area that you already cleared. All while you're still fighting off 2-3 other assholes. My biggest gripe of UC2 were the late game bullet sponge enemies and they basically replaced that with shitty arenas, and cheap spawns.

Spoilers in this post, but if you've read to page 90+ of this thread and you're expecting spoiler tags, get real.

Made it through the desert, it was bad, but IMO, not as bad as the floating water level. The floating water level and the desert level are basically the exact same level, except the floating level is more annoying because WHY THE FUCK ARE YOU THERE. As the player, you know that the terrorist doesn't have Sullivan, you just know he doesn't, yet you have to toil through minions of this guys baddies only to have a stupid anti-climactic battle with him where he just shoots some glass and then, oh wow, a flee sequence... I DEFINTIELY couldn't see that coming.

The desert level... at least.. like.. you were floating up and down in water and at least you felt like the end was more near. The game ruins itself too. If you come into a large area and there is a gun, you're basically gauranteed to have to fight 20 guys, and usually one of them or two of them are the shot gun guys or the sniper rifle guys. So far, the water area was my least favorite because there was also extreme height differences.

I also just love how Drake is able to kill 100,000 bad guys with their guns pointed at him, but in cut scenes, one gun pointed at him is like CHECK MATE and he drops his weapons.

I'm now in ShangriLa.. err atlantis of the desert. Let me guess, I mow through 50,000 bad guys -- some of which you have to kill twice -- and then you face the final bad guy, he's got super human powers or you're on drugs which makes him seem like he has super human powers, and then you end up destroying desert of the atlantis incidentally. IM READY FOR SURPRISES .......

Alright I finished the stupid game. The last level wasn't as bad as I was thinking... I was surprised I didn't fight a super human. The stupid exchange with Marlowe... like... She has tried to have me and Sully killed for 20+ chapters by thousands of bad guys, yet, for some reason, what Drake wants to save her ..? For no reason? I dunno, it's just stupid.

The last escape sequence was cool, but you know what would made it even cooler, if you didn't do that exact escape sequence for 20-chapters prior. If you didn't do that sequence in every level before that, it would have been great. Same with the gun battles... It'd be great to have to scale that structure and kill 20 guys really fast with excitement... Except you're doing that for the ENTIRE game and by the end you're just like, oh, okay, another idiot with a shot gun and armor and idiots with sniper rifles.

For whatever reason, I don't remember UC2 being this contrived, with such a repetitive level structure and flow. Maybe it's because this is the sequel to UC2 and so ... I dunno, I got used to it in UC2? I don't think so. It just felt like this game was monster room after monster room, annoying gun battle after annoying fun battle, you could only approach rooms from one perspective. The level that I actually did as stealth, where then for no reason I got attacked by 50 guys even though I had JUST cleared that area and there were no baddies, just revealed how poorly done some sequences are.

If thy cut the enemy count by about 75% and actually let you enjoy the environments, it would have been so much better. Instead, you have to sprint through these immaculately detailed areas and gun fight through really interesting places.

Also, if the puzzles didn't reveal themselves after ~90 seconds it'd be a lot better. Instead it's like "man, how do we get out of this inescapable room..." and then 15 seconds later, "oh Drake, what does your journal say?" and then it opens to a picture of the room you're in with an X on the secret spot that you can escape from.

A big Meh from me on Uncharted 3, and I REALLY loved Uncharted 2. Still, the game has generally pretty good writing, the animations are good, the voice acting is pretty superb for a videogame, and the story is okay. The Naughty Dog people congratulate themselves on their storyline far too much... because it mostly doesn't make any sense and most of the time I'm playing through, I'm asking myself, "okay, wait, what am I doing this for again...?" And then, of course, just like UC2, it devolves into "monster bad guy wants to take over the world with extra terrestrial bull shit." At least, thank heavens, they didn't make you fight a super yeti monster grenade lobber like in UC2. That... at least... is a big improvement.

But, meh. Anybody who puts this on their GOTY list... I don't get it. Beautiful levels, great graphics, good voice acting and writing, but just horrible pacing, contrived sequences, extremely repetative. Meeeeh.

/fin

You know what really pissed me off was the Airport section

After Drake + Elena push the car and it rolls down the ramp, and you take care of the 3 guys, the next part, where all the containers are and the guys with flashlights are patrolling, of you stealth kill all of them just like I did, right at end section there are 2 of them

I used a silent pistol and maybe there was a .5 delay between the 2 headshots the alarms go off, more enemies come, no Elena in sight, and if you run up to the roof of the area, guess what? game gives you a somber not and restarts you all the way to the beginning

ND literally is trying to say NO, don't move forward for being a smart player and bypassing the battle, fight, try to live then continue along

Love how all the grenades, guns, grenade launchers are firing off and the plane is just chilling there no alarm whatsoever, and the next section becomes stealth and Elena goes be quiet... "I'm like are you fucking kidding me?"

I had this EXACT same experience. I killed them all stealth, then the last two, killed the first, then killed the second 1 second later, which was enough to UNLEASH THE HORDES of enemies "appearing" out of nowhere, out of an area I had already cleared. I was on a shipping container, the one with the 2 snipers and grenade launcher guy, and guess who spawned next to them? The snipers and grenade launcher guy, and they killed me instantly.

I pretty much wrote off Uncharted 3 at that point as being garbage.

I really wonder what focus group Naughty Dog listened to... to like take out all of the "slow" sequences, all of the discovery portions, take away anything that isnt all gun play, and release the game. I was really disappointed.

iLLmAtlc

In regards to your comment about Marlowe in the ending, I think it may have been inspired by the Lazeravic calling Drake a cold blooded killer and saying there really isn't any difference between them. Lazeravic certainly wouldn't have saved her.

jett

D-Member
You can get by the final two guards in the airport without throwing off the alert by killing them at the same time with an exploding gas tank. BAM.

Tokubetsu

Spoilers in this post, but if you've read to page 90+ of this thread and you're expecting spoiler tags, get real.

Made it through the desert, it was bad, but IMO, not as bad as the floating water level. The floating water level and the desert level are basically the exact same level, except the floating level is more annoying because WHY THE FUCK ARE YOU THERE. As the player, you know that the terrorist doesn't have Sullivan, you just know he doesn't, yet you have to toil through minions of this guys baddies only to have a stupid anti-climactic battle with him where he just shoots some glass and then, oh wow, a flee sequence... I DEFINTIELY couldn't see that coming.

The desert level... at least.. like.. you were floating up and down in water and at least you felt like the end was more near. The game ruins itself too. If you come into a large area and there is a gun, you're basically gauranteed to have to fight 20 guys, and usually one of them or two of them are the shot gun guys or the sniper rifle guys. So far, the water area was my least favorite because there was also extreme height differences.

I also just love how Drake is able to kill 100,000 bad guys with their guns pointed at him, but in cut scenes, one gun pointed at him is like CHECK MATE and he drops his weapons.

I'm now in ShangriLa.. err atlantis of the desert. Let me guess, I mow through 50,000 bad guys -- some of which you have to kill twice -- and then you face the final bad guy, he's got super human powers or you're on drugs which makes him seem like he has super human powers, and then you end up destroying desert of the atlantis incidentally. IM READY FOR SURPRISES .......

Yep. The shipyard stuff was the worst part of the game for me. Completely shoehorned in, serves no purpose and then its like it didn't even happen when you finish it.

You can get by the final two guards in the airport without throwing off the alert by killing them at the same time with an exploding gas tank. BAM.

This is cool and all, but here's my complaint: If you kill the guards with silencers within about 1 second, it makes plenty of sense that no other guards should appear. If you kill them with an exploding gas tank it MAKES NO SENSE BECAUSE EXPLOSIONS ARE LOUD.

Yep. The shipyard stuff was the worst part of the game for me. Completely shoehorned in, serves no purpose and then its like it didn't even happen when you finish it.

yeah... It feels like they had like, say, a 7 hour game, and then they were like "okay... we have to make this game 8 hours..." "IVE GOT IT. Annoying level in the middle of nowhere. Drake wakes up on it. He kills everyone there. Gets swept into the ocean. Wakes up in the exact same place on land that he started in. FOR NO REASON."

jett

D-Member
This is cool and all, but here's my complaint: If you kill the guards with silencers within about 1 second, it makes plenty of sense that no other guards should appear. If you kill them with an exploding gas tank it MAKES NO SENSE BECAUSE EXPLOSIONS ARE LOUD.

I honestly agree with you 100%. Stealth in UC3 is unfortunately as much an afterthought as it was in UC2. They expanded the gameplay in the completely wrong direction.

Alright I finished the stupid game. The last level wasn't as bad as I was thinking... I was surprised I didn't fight a super human. The stupid exchange with Marlowe... like... She has tried to have me and Sully killed for 20+ chapters by thousands of bad guys, yet, for some reason, what Drake wants to save her ..? For no reason? I dunno, it's just stupid.

/fin

it's not ..

1) drake doesn't kill because he enjoy it , but because he is forced to. ( see beginning of Uncharted 2 for the same point of view )

2) he wants his ring back..with her in check near him , that would have kept talbowe in check for a moment.

I have no idea if you are trolling or not.
He is not ..i discussed this earlier in this thread and this method is one of the possible methods to stealth this part completly.

i have to say that i disagree with albatross complains ..it's clearly shown in chapter 4 that to "shoot stealth" a group of people , you have to have someone shoot at them at the same time as you. "But i shooted at them instantly !!" 1 sec delay in not instant.. If you do the same thing in say ..metal gear solid 2 , you'll alert guards too ..
Now it's obvious the spawn points are "unfair" but they have to appear somewhere and at this point you're supposed to be in a hostile territory ...
You can be disapointed by the uncharted 3 direction but just because the game doesn't play exactly like you want doesn't mean that the game sucks as you say

i1) drake doesn't kill because he enjoy it , but because he is forced to. ( see beginning of Uncharted 2 for the same point of view )

There is a difference between "saving someone" and "not killing them." Woman spends 8 hours of game time trying to kill Nathan Drake, and then at the end she's stuck in quick sand (haha) and Nathan tries to save her? Trying to save someone and trying to "not kill them" is different.

He is not ..i discussed this earlier in this thread and this method is one of the possible methods to stealth this part completly.

i have to say that i disagree with albatross complains ..it's clearly shown in chapter 4 that to "shoot stealth" a group of people , you have to have someone shoot at them at the same time as you. "But i shooted at them instantly !!" 1 sec delay in not instant.. If you do the same thing in say ..metal gear solid 2 , you'll alert guards too ..
Now it's obvious the spawn points are "unfair" but they have to appear somewhere and at this point you're supposed to be in a hostile territory ...
You can be disapointed by the uncharted 3 direction but just because the game doesn't play exactly like you want doesn't mean that the game sucks as you say

I actually don't have that much of a problem with it breaking stealth, if you shoot them with silencers at about 1-second intervals -- even if using the exploding barrel (lol, stealth?) is the way to do it... here's what bugs me about it: You break stealth, which is fine, and then 20 bad guys randomly magically appear. You don't need "fair" spawns or even "rational" spawns, how about the spawn points actually don't have to appear, especially in areas like this. Now, magic spawns in areas that are inaccessible are fine for me in games, but when I am standing on a shipping container, which 5 seconds previously contained no enemies, and I just cleared a zone using stealth and all enemies are accounted for, to "break stealth" an then have three enemies spawn next to you isn't a question of "fairness" it's a question of bad design. Breaking stealth should mean that the bad guys in that zone, who have already spawned, are alerted to your location or your appearance, or even, if they NEED more enemies, they should barrel out of the back of a truck or out of an inaccessible room.

But to have them spawn out of nothing in a zone that you just cleared, isn't just a question of "fairness" it's a question of ridiculousness and bad design. Instead of sending enemy hordes at you ... how about, you break stealth on the last guy, he tries to alert others, but, gasp, there's noone there to alert because you've already killed them all.

The easiest method to beating that area was to just break stealth right away. I went up to the first guy and shot him with a khal instead, because it was just easier than clearing the area and then having baddies spawn behind you. Whenever Nathan or one of his buddies says, "looks like you'll have to do this quietly," actually, don't, it makes it much more difficult to actually follow what the game wants, because if you kill 10/11 guys with stealth, and then one guy is alerted to where you are, you still have to fight his monster closet buddies that appear out of nowhere. It's easier to just fire your gun into the air and face the unending horde of enemies, rather than putting yourself into a compromised position trying to take out a few of them using stealth. This is bad design: punishing the player for trying to play a level the way that he is instructed to play it.

Now, do I really mean it "sucks" like how, say, a really bad game sucks? No, but I think it's very, very over-rated. The game received so much critical praise, yet it was redundant, predictable, and poorly paced. They created these gorgeous worlds and then didn't give you any time to explore them in any meanginful way because you were in gun fights for pretty much the entirety of the game. It's a shame because Uncharted 2 was not this way, at least, from how I remember it. Uncharted 2 had a fitting balance of "slow" parts and "fast" parts, Uncharted 3 is all tiring fast parts, it's all killing thousands of enemies, it's all cliff-hangers and exploding buildings or stormy seas. I had very little motivation to really do anything, because even in the areas where you're exploring, puzzle solving, or trying to find something you need, you're just doing that for the enemy. In every sequence that you discover something, as soon as you discover it and you're on your way out, OH LOOK THE BAD GUYS FOLLOWED US HERE, and then they take whatever you have, and then the next section of the game is "omg I cant believe they just stole that priceless artifact, we need it back!" It was so predictable.

I'll also add, that it feels like the developers got tired of creating unending enemy horde zones, but they persisted in it. Nathan makes many comments throughout the game, "guys, this is getting annoying!" As you face YET ANOTHER horde of enemies (desert level, bahaha), just one zone after another. So I'm sitting here thinking to myself, okay, developers, if you're programming your character to say "This is getting annoying," then why do you keep doing it? It made exploring the zones aweful, because instead of exploring them for being unique and well crafted environments, you stumble into an area and say, "oh, I'm going to have to fight 40 guys here, and here are my cover spots and there are the weapons I need." Then you cross a zone and oh what do you know, 40 enemies in the middle of what was supposed to be an abandoned desert down. Like, lul, what.

Zeth

Rob Krekel, SCEA sound designer was just on TWiT's Game On show doing a live interview and had what seemed like it could have been a slip-up talking about what he's working on at ND office. He said he had a heavy work weekend with two games coming to the end of their development. He said one of them is secret, and that he thought it would have been announced by now.

Said he was working on three games so: Starhawk and Last of Us? Do we know what the third one is? He was skyping from ND offices and the way it was worded, it sounded like an ND game, but I guess it might have just been SCEA. Sorry, didn't know where to post this.

^^ i disagree and i'll tell you why.

There is a difference between "saving someone" and "not killing them." Woman spends 8 hours of game time trying to kill Nathan Drake, and then at the end she's stuck in quick sand (haha) and Nathan tries to save her? Trying to save someone and trying to "not kill them" is different.

-he wants the ring ..it's all about pride and possible consequences afterwards...
if drake was the killing type we would have learned about it long ago ... how many adventures of uncharted (1,2,3,GA) start without guns?

I actually don't have that much of a problem with it breaking stealth, if you shoot them with silencers at about 1-second intervals -- even if using the exploding barrel (lol, stealth?) is the way to do it...
You can also argue that a jeep crashing and several other things do not trigger the alert either. At this point why would a exploding bin be different ? It only works IF you use this ON THE LAST ALIVE ENNEMIES in that area.

here's what bugs me about it: You break stealth, which is fine, and then 20 bad guys randomly magically appear. You don't need "fair" spawns or even "rational" spawns, how about the spawn points actually don't have to appear, especially in areas like this. Now, magic spawns in areas that are inaccessible are fine for me in games, but when I am standing on a shipping container, which 5 seconds previously contained no enemies, and I just cleared a zone using stealth and all enemies are accounted for, to "break stealth" an then have three enemies spawn next to you isn't a question of "fairness" it's a question of bad design. Breaking stealth should mean that the bad guys in that zone, who have already spawned, are alerted to your location or your appearance, or even, if they NEED more enemies, they should barrel out of the back of a truck or out of an inaccessible room.
I agree that's unfair and badly designed ... but does the game suck "only because of this ?" Is this really game breaking ? While annoying , this is a minor issue.
But to have them spawn out of nothing in a zone that you just cleared, isn't just a question of "fairness" it's a question of ridiculousness and bad design. Instead of sending enemy hordes at you ... how about, you break stealth on the last guy, he tries to alert others, but, gasp, there's noone there to alert because you've already killed them all.
there is no point in stealth area if you can't do them properly and want to break stealth without consequences ... It defeat the point of stealth areas.
The easiest method to beating that area was to just break stealth right away.
I went up to the first guy and shot him with a khal instead, because it was just easier than clearing the area and then having baddies spawn behind you.
No , not really WHen i did my crushing run , i did all the stealthable area in stealth and i avoided a lot of encounter and deaths ..the difference is clear betwean wasting ( one bullet or a grenade ) and ( engaging more than 12 ennemies + 1 armored dude ).
Whenever Nathan or one of his buddies says, "looks like you'll have to do this quietly," actually, don't, it makes it much more difficult to actually follow what the game wants, because if you kill 10/11 guys with stealth, and then one guy is alerted to where you are, you still have to fight his monster closet buddies that appear out of nowhere. It's easier to just fire your gun into the air and face the unending horde of enemies, rather than putting yourself into a compromised position trying to take out a few of them using stealth. This is bad design: punishing the player for trying to play a level the way that he is instructed to play it.
As i said above the stakes are in your favor. Every time they say that you can do it quietly , then you can do it quietly.. It's your choice if you want to go gun blazzing but it's not the game fault if you gave up at the last riddle in that level design...
There were several times in uncharted 2 "for example" where drake says that it's better to be stealthy AND THE game tell you if a section can't be done fully in stealth. For example , in the nepal sanctuary , drake says "tell that to the guy with the rocket launcher" when stealth is impossible.
Again failling to get the numerous clues the game gave you is the game fault ? Does it sucks ?

Now, do I really mean it "sucks" like how, say, a really bad game sucks? No, but I think it's very, very over-rated. The game received so much critical praise, yet it was redundant, predictable, and poorly paced. They created these gorgeous worlds and then didn't give you any time to explore them in any meanginful way because you were in gun fights for pretty much the entirety of the game. It's a shame because Uncharted 2 was not this way, at least, from how I remember it. Uncharted 2 had a fitting balance of "slow" parts and "fast" parts, Uncharted 3 is all tiring fast parts, it's all killing thousands of enemies, it's all cliff-hangers and exploding buildings or stormy seas. I had very little motivation to really do anything, because even in the areas where you're exploring, puzzle solving, or trying to find something you need, you're just doing that for the enemy. In every sequence that you discover something, as soon as you discover it and you're on your way out, OH LOOK THE BAD GUYS FOLLOWED US HERE, and then they take whatever you have, and then the next section of the game is "omg I cant believe they just stole that priceless artifact, we need it back!" It was so predictable.
Uncharted 3 is no more predictable than uncharted 2 was. As for the balance, uncharted 3 is half solving /platforming ,half action ... the game is evenly cut from chapter 1-11 & chapters 12-22..you can't please everyone and ND certainly tried to. How many BAD GUYS FOLLOWED US HERE are there in uncharted 2 ? 3 at least .. How many in Uncharted 1 ? I can remember at least one. I guess it was ok before but it's not ok now .
I'll also add, that it feels like the developers got tired of creating unending enemy horde zones, but they persisted in it. Nathan makes many comments throughout the game, "guys, this is getting annoying!" As you face YET ANOTHER horde of enemies (desert level, bahaha), just one zone after another. So I'm sitting here thinking to myself, okay, developers, if you're programming your character to say "This is getting annoying," then why do you keep doing it? It made exploring the zones aweful, because instead of exploring them for being unique and well crafted environments, you stumble into an area and say, "oh, I'm going to have to fight 40 guys here, and here are my cover spots and there are the weapons I need." Then you cross a zone and oh what do you know, 40 enemies in the middle of what was supposed to be an abandoned desert down. Like, lul, what.
It seems like you just hated the "action" parts of the game that's all .
i guess drake stranded in the desert should have :
-wandered from house to house to look for water ( it would have been a great level )
-found one survivor in the deserted village ( what luck!! )
-Or maybe a remake of uncharted 2 , he should have collapsed in the desert and got saved by the local tenzin .. I guess the complain would have been ( oh no more ideas !! )

I guess finding himself right in front of the followers of the caravan is also PREDICTABLE ?

I honestly thought there was no way to get past those 2 guys without setting off the alarm, lol.

Like, that was one of the complaints of the game some people mentioned.

it's not well know but that was discuted in this thread before.. ( i was part of the discution )
All the stealth parts of U3 can be done ( syria , yemen airport , high seas ) to the end without setting up the alarm untill the next sequence/event.

Amory

Man I wasn't all that excited to dive into this game, because a lot of reviewers and people on gaf seemed a little underwhelmed by it. Well, not underwhelmed per se, just basically feeling that it's more of the same as in 2.

I just climbed up an old blown out ship, shooting bad guys along the way and watching them fall past me into the ocean below...reached the top and got an amazing view of the landscape and all the platforms I had been climbing...and was rewarded with an arrested development reference off in the distance :)

Uncharted 2 was so damn good that I full on welcome more of the same. And while they don't do anything too groundbreaking in UC3, it's a better game with a better plot so far than in UC2. It still feels fresh.

Duffyside

Banned
All right, we all recognize that roll and cover being mapped to the same button is a problem, right?

I think they should make roll the Cross and Square button pressed at the same time. Make it slightly more of a skill-based move. Problem solved?

jett

D-Member
All right, we all recognize that roll and cover being mapped to the same button is a problem, right?

I think they should make roll the Cross and Square button pressed at the same time. Make it slightly more of a skill-based move. Problem solved?

No, you're crazy. The solution is simply not to roll. It doesn't help you avoid bullets. :p

Oh Village, how i missed thee! Looks nice. I like that Plaza looks a bit brighter than it seemed from the screens. Layouts seem to be exactly the same as in U2, but these maps didn't really need any changes, unlike Fort or Ice Cave. I wonder if we'll still get any of the old dynamic events (Tank in Village, helicopter in Plaza, train tumbling down the hill in Train Wreck, the snowstorm could be replaced with a sandstorm), but as with other remade maps like High Rise and Fort, probably not.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I just completed the game a few days ago.

The game looks fatastic, probably better than Uncharted 2 for me but it's unpolished and kinda buggy. Also I hate Talbot and Marlowe, I wanted to kill them so bad... Especially Talbot's douchey face.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
I only like The Village and The Train Wreck. The others don't look good to me...aesthetically speaking. They are a downgrade from their UC2 versions, IMO.

So I just played this game for several hours, going from Chapter 4, when I put the game down, to Chapter 20, where I am now.

I have to say that there might not be another game that I passionately love and hate at the same time than this one. The art direction, traversal, voice acting, puzzles and epic moments draw you in like no other game can, in my opinion. But everything else is so horrendously bad that it negates all of the great qualities.

When I control Drake, I feel like I'm trying to balance a marble on a board. Everything is so loose, you don't feel connected to his movements. The aiming is spongy and the cover system is flawed. But that I can handle (thanks to Rockstar). But what puts it over the edge is the enemies. Random closet spawns, bad AI, an inability to move stealthily... None of it is fun! Any time I get pulled into the story or whatever action sequence is happening at the time, it gets ruined when I walk into an opening littered with bad guys.

I've never done this before with a game, but after about Chapter 10 or so, I pulled the difficulty down. Not to easy... But to very easy. And you know what? The game got better. Whenever I had to fight enemies, I just ran around with a shotgun or my fists and cleared them out. It wasn't fun, but at least the combat was over with and I could advance to the next part of the game.

I played and enjoyed both Uncharted 1 and 2. They both had the same issues, but not to this extent. It's just a shame, really. Tomorrow I'm going to start it back up, complete the final two chapters where all kinds or eye rolling will ensue when the story inevitably takes the science fiction turn and then put this game up on my shelf to collect dust (I don't have the time to commit to multi-player).

I'll still look at this play-through as a positive experience, because I can't get what it offers anywhere else. I just wish Naughty Dog was able to get the combat right because this series had a chance at being one of the greats.

I only like The Village and The Train Wreck. The others don't look good to me...aesthetically speaking. They are a downgrade from their UC2 versions, IMO.

Trainwrek wasn't a clear map for me in U2 i hope that the new lighting will mean that the playing flied will be increased ...

Similar to what happenned for me with Cave

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
Trainwrek wasn't a clear map for me in U2 i hope that the new lighting will mean that the playing flied will be increased ...

Similar to what happenned for me with Cave
That's the thing - it wasn't supposed to be a clear map. The snowy effect played a part on how you played. I mean, you could still see people across the map, but you had to pay attention. It was great. This new version is still cool in my book, even if the visibility factor doesn't play a role anymore.

Also, Cave is the new Chateau. Every single time there's an option between Cave and another map, Cave always wins.

Speaking of maps, I wonder if ND has data to show how worthless and awful City of BrASS truly is. Worst map ever.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
London Underground is a GREAT map, except the awful, AWFUL train sequence. I wish it was removed. Same for the Airstrip.

City of Ass has no redeeming qualities to it whatsoever. It's a mess of a map, which is why it never gets voted by the community when it comes up to vote.

London Underground is a GREAT map, except the awful, AWFUL train sequence. I wish it was removed. Same for the Airstrip.

City of Ass has no redeeming qualities to it whatsoever. It's a mess of a map, which is why it never gets voted by the community when it comes up to vote.

What do you dislike about COB? I admit, at first i had difficulties with the layout and would get easily confused about my location, but once you wrap your head around it it's pretty simple. Don't see what's so bad about it.

It's kinda funny for me personally, but in U2 Lost City was my favorite map. In U3 I hate Lost City so much.

It was one of my absolute favorites too. I still like it in U3, but not quite as much. All the snow can make enemies a bit hard to notice, especially those that are partially white. *coughskeletonscough*

I also miss the RPG there, if only for the race to it at the start of the match. It made for some good cat and mouse games, where both sides would wait for the other to enter first so they could throw a grenade at the rpg spawn, or you could surprise them by climbing the wall and coming at them from the top of the stairs instead of through the door.

By the way, did anyone notice some kind of texture glitch on the former rpg building? It's above the entrance that is facing the cliffside and it's like a stripe of several colours. Strange that testers at ND haven't noticed it before putting up the maps, since i have noticed it right away.

That's the thing - it wasn't supposed to be a clear map. The snowy effect played a part on how you played. I mean, you could still see people across the map, but you had to pay attention. It was great. This new version is still cool in my book, even if the visibility factor doesn't play a role anymore.

Also, Cave is the new Chateau. Every single time there's an option between Cave and another map, Cave always wins.

Speaking of maps, I wonder if ND has data to show how worthless and awful City of BrASS truly is. Worst map ever.
i understand that but that made my learning U2 multiplayer experience VERY painfull.. trainwreck was unforgiving if you play against regular U2 people.

City of brass is really a bad map ... Since i started playing U3 only i haven't got ONE good experience on that map

Mr. Fix

lttp here.

I'd rather play City of Brass than London Undergound.

:eek: Speaking of which, I barely see that on the playlist anymore since launch.

City of Ass

Lol

UNCHARTED 3: Drake's Deception™ - Flashback Map Pack #2 Trailer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QiBnlUjGlRs&feature=gu-u&context=G21f8836FUAAAAAAAAAA

Sweet.

Awesome! Will play
on co-op.

And where's elimination at? They get rid of Situational Awareness, but also Elimo? Makes no sense. ._. I was actually looking forward to it this time.

Tokubetsu

Idk, I've had some great games on Brass. As long as you're constantly movie (You kinda need to be doing this on every map in UC anyway). Chases are great on it though because you usually have 2+ options for cutting people off and trapping them.

Top Bottom