• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 3 |OT| All Developers Dream, But Not Equally

Awesome! Will play
on co-op.

Just fyi, two of the maps weren't playable in U2 arena. Don't know if they changed it for U3, but it was the same for (Ice) Cave and that one still isn't avaliable in U3 arena.

And yes, COB definitely keeps you on your toes, you can't afford to stand still for too long, more so than with most of the other maps. There's hardly a spot where one could successfully camp for an extended period of time, because there are always several routes to get around, which is good.

Duffyside

Banned
No, you're crazy. The solution is simply not to roll. It doesn't help you avoid bullets. :p

Sure it does! People aim for your torso or head, and suddenly that spot moves downward when you roll. Also — the way things are SUPPOSED to work — being shot in the legs/arms is supposed to cause less damage, and you increase the possibility of being hit in those spots instead when you're rolling.

SxP

I love City of Brass. But that's only because people REALLY don't know how to navigate the map. This has granted me multiple 15-0 and 15-1 wins in FFA. So I like the map :p.

Mr. Fix

Just fyi, two of the maps weren't playable in U2 arena. Don't know if they changed it for U3, but it was the same for (Ice) Cave and that one still isn't avaliable in U3 arena.

And yes, COB definitely keeps you on your toes, you can't afford to stand still for too long, more so than with most of the other maps. There's hardly a spot where one could successfully camp for an extended period of time, because there are always several routes to get around, which is good.

Yeah, the Cave and London Underground still don't work here. I don't think the Temple did or will either. :/ Real shame, ND. Also, why can't we use villains in the arena? Don't they show the partner's names ontop of the head anyway?

Is it just me, or are most people playing the MP on this a bunch of d-bags. The last 2 - 3 weeks I've been trying to play some CO-OP Arena. It seems almost every game I run into 1 of 2 kinds of D-bags.

You have the high level ones who if it ends up not being on crushing difficulty they disappear before the game begins. Which isn't so bad when 1 of them does it. It's annoying as hell though when you spend 20 minutes waiting for it to find a game, then you end up with people who don't vote for anything, and then both leave before the game starts and the wait for a game begins again.

Then you have the guys who act like douches in the game. What the hell is up with people purposely dropping grenades or throwing grenades at people on their team, and letting them die, just so they get a few more kills. I had 2 guys who refused to revive anyone the other day, and they would literally stand next to you and just get kills but never help.

Inanna

Not pure anymore!
Then you have the guys who act like douches in the game. What the hell is up with people purposely dropping grenades or throwing grenades at people on their team, and letting them die, just so they get a few more kills. I had 2 guys who refused to revive anyone the other day, and they would literally stand next to you and just get kills but never help.

No it's not about kills, its mostly about the treasures that some baddies drop. If they don't get good enough treasure after killing one of the special baddies they kill their teammates so that those baddies can respawn and they can kill him again to get the better treasure. :\

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
So Naughty Dog has made some changes to co-op arena. Tonight, I noticed new weapons in the stock UC3 maps. There are now FAL, Mags, Raffica pistols in most of them. In the Airstrip, there's a Hammer and a T-Bolt Sniper along with a Mag, which previously there weren't any power weapons whatsoever. There's also a new siege spot in Yemen and some of the power weapons (for example: the T-bolt in Syria) have been moved to different spots. I also noticed an increase in treasure drops. Literally every co-op arena match I played tonight, there were several treasure drops. I managed to complete the new Incan set for Lazarevic's helmet!

So Naughty Dog has made some changes to co-op arena. Tonight, I noticed new weapons in the stock UC3 maps. There are now FAL, Mags, Raffica pistols in most of them. In the Airstrip, there's a Hammer and a T-Bolt Sniper along with a Mag, which previously there weren't any power weapons whatsoever. There's also a new siege spot in Yemen and some of the power weapons (for example: the T-bolt in Syria) have been moved to different spots.

I've played Co-op Arena Crushing in Lost City two nights ago and it also had a bunch of FALs lying around, as well as a Hammer in the middle of the cliffside walkway. Didn't have the time to explore much with the enemy onslaught though, so there might have been more new weapons on the map.

So Naughty Dog has made some changes to co-op arena. Tonight, I noticed new weapons in the stock UC3 maps. There are now FAL, Mags, Raffica pistols in most of them. In the Airstrip, there's a Hammer and a T-Bolt Sniper along with a Mag, which previously there weren't any power weapons whatsoever. There's also a new siege spot in Yemen and some of the power weapons (for example: the T-bolt in Syria) have been moved to different spots. I also noticed an increase in treasure drops. Literally every co-op arena match I played tonight, there were several treasure drops. I managed to complete the new Incan set for Lazarevic's helmet!

Very good news .. kinda busy ATM but i welcome these changes.

BUT i kinda want those special week-end we had in UC2 ? or a LAB ?

SxP

I've played Co-op Arena Crushing in Lost City two nights ago and it also had a bunch of FALs lying around, as well as a Hammer in the middle of the cliffside walkway. Didn't have the time to explore much with the enemy onslaught though, so there might have been more new weapons on the map.

The DLC maps had FAL-SS/Hammers/etc from the day they were released. Apparently they now updated the stock U3 maps. Hopefully that means I can now mod the FAL in co-op.

The DLC maps had FAL-SS/Hammers/etc from the day they were released. Apparently they now updated the stock U3 maps. Hopefully that means I can now mod the FAL in co-op.

Oh, i see. I hadn't played Co-op Arena on LC until a few days ago, only competitive modes, so this was new for me.

I wish ND could give me an excuse as to why coop arena doesn't work on Cave or london underground and temple and train wreck. I would love to kill enemies on that map.

No it's not about kills, its mostly about the treasures that some baddies drop. If they don't get good enough treasure after killing one of the special baddies they kill their teammates so that those baddies can respawn and they can kill him again to get the better treasure. :\

That's even lamer.

People, what a bunch of bastards.

Rikyfree

I really need to get back into playing this. I miss it, but I have a back log to go through! Grrrrrr, decisions decisions.... I'll start up again soon.

I'm going to jump back into this game for the first time in a couple of weeks. I only played the Fort Co Op just once. I'm going to re-hype myself for Golden Abyss. Man the last couple of months Marvel3 and Uncharted have consumed my life and it's not slowing down.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
yea and...

This is kinda how everyone feels. I don't understand the point of the article.

How can you not understand the point? Unless you probably didn't read it.

There's one thing I entirely disagree with the article and it's this:

I’m not even that obsessed with the treasure system, but when I invest an hour of my time and walk away with squat, that time feels wasted.

I can see where he is coming from, but I personally don't feel this way. Since he mostly focused on co-op arena, that hour of time playing with others is worth it to me because I find the mode fun. It's one of the few modes where I don't get frustrated playing with randoms because most people seem to "get" it and it's even more fun when you're playing it with friends.

Now on to the treasure system...it really does need some improvements. The constant amount of duplicate treasures can get annoying ESPECIALLY when you get the same one in a co-op arena match. The "rarity" of rare treasures is a little bit too extreme for co-op arena because they honestly won't drop after playing games over and over again. Again, this is where I can see the frustration in people (including myself) because it sucks when you're only missing one drop to complete a set, but since the last treasure is rare, the chances of you getting it is slim. There is no treasure hunter booster either to increase the drop rate in co-op arena, so its completely random. you can play 3 matches without getting anything while you can get a shit ton of treasures in one match, but they're all duplicates. I've had the displeasure of completing most of my co-op sets playing Hunter, but that mode is broken as fuck. It's not fun and the new DLC maps don't even have a chest where you can get three medal pick ups and that IS a problem because without the chests, it imbalances the game. Not to mention that the chest themselves also increased the chances of getting a rare treasure. You have more chances in acquiring a treasure drop with a chest than you do in killing a human player in Hunter and it really sucks that the DLC maps don't have them. I'm OK with the lack of them in co-op arena, but it's not OK in Hunter Arena. I'm tired of seeing the same constant duplicate treasures in co-op arena and not being able to complete my final 5 sets. All I'm missing is the baseball cap for Drake, the headwrap for Desert Drake, the fancy hat for Marlowe, the glasses for Eddy, and the bandit mask for Flynn. I'm just missing the final drop for each of them, but I keep getting the same common treasures over and over again including for those sets.

I have noticed that ever since the title update or whatever it was, the amount of treasure drops have increased in co-op arena. Previously for me, sometimes I would get at least one treasure drop out of every 2 or 3 matches. Just one. Now I'm getting constant treasure drops in every match, which is nice. It'd be nicer if they weren't duplicate treasures, but at least I can say that I've noticed more drops occurring.

If there's ONE mode where the treasure system is even worse than co-op arena...it HAS to be Hardcore. THERE is a mode where the treasure system is complete bullshit. You can play god knows how many matches in that mode and not get a single treasure drop. When I play Hardcore, I always get around 20 kills per match, and it's incredibly FRUSTRATING that I get no treasure drops whatsoever, but when I do...it's the infamous Just Cash. Fuck that shit. Just Cash needs to be fucking REMOVED from Hardcore. i can't believe that piece of shit medal is there especially considering the treasure drops in Hardcore are even RARER than co-op arena. Since you can't use boosters in Hardcore, you can't use Treasure Hunter to increase your drop rate. How can this be remedied? Either increase the chances of a treasure dropping, REMOVE Just Cash, or introduce a Treasure Hunter booster. Shit, it could act as the bronze version of it for all I care, but at least it'll be something.

ALSO:

On maps like The Highrise/City of Ass, if you kill a NPC or human player while they're jumping from a building to another building and they drop a treasure, guess what? You're fucked because the treasure drops all the way to the bottom of the map and there is no way for you to retrieve it. If that happens, the game should just give you the treasure automatically instead of screwing you over.

Mikey Jr.

I am not 100% confident that chandelier part on the cruise ship can't be stealthed.

I can take out the first guy who leans, then by jumping the small staircase, I can stealth the guy on the left. Then I run to the right and stealth the guy on the right.

The guy in the middle by the piano cant be stealthed right there. You have to run behind him and get his attention, but roll away to cover before he sees you. This is the tricky part though. I can get his attention and roll away to cover, but he seems to be able to spot the dead body on the right.

I played this part for about half an hour, before deciding to give up. Might be possible though.

edit: Lol at the plane wreckage part. "Lets head for the wreckage and see what I can find"

Dude.....you just floated down on a supply crate...........lol.

Still love this game though.

I am not 100% confident that chandelier part on the cruise ship can't be stealthed.

For me this part can't be done in stealth either ... drake doesn't say anything about doing it quietly ..So for me ( and ND it seems ) it isn't meant to be done completly in stealth at all ...

This is reinforced by the fact that the door on the right MUST be opened from the outside by another wave of ennemies so you have to get spotted at some point .

Mikey Jr.

For me this part can't be done in stealth either ... drake doesn't say anything about doing it quietly ..So for me ( and ND it seems ) it isn't meant to be done completly in stealth at all ...

This is reinforced by the fact that the door on the right MUST be opened from the outside by another wave of ennemies so you have to get spotted at some point .

Yeah, thats true.

I know for a fact though that 4 of the first enemies can be killed by stealthing them. I did it. But I think the piano guy will give away your position no matter what.

Now on to the treasure system...it really does need some improvements. The constant amount of duplicate treasures can get annoying ESPECIALLY when you get the same one in a co-op arena match. The "rarity" of rare treasures is a little bit too extreme for co-op arena because they honestly won't drop after playing games over and over again. Again, this is where I can see the frustration in people (including myself) because it sucks when you're only missing one drop to complete a set, but since the last treasure is rare, the chances of you getting it is slim. There is no treasure hunter booster either to increase the drop rate in co-op arena, so its completely random. you can play 3 matches without getting anything while you can get a shit ton of treasures in one match, but they're all duplicates. I've had the displeasure of completing most of my co-op sets playing Hunter, but that mode is broken as fuck. It's not fun and the new DLC maps don't even have a chest where you can get three medal pick ups and that IS a problem because without the chests, it imbalances the game. Not to mention that the chest themselves also increased the chances of getting a rare treasure. You have more chances in acquiring a treasure drop with a chest than you do in killing a human player in Hunter and it really sucks that the DLC maps don't have them. I'm OK with the lack of them in co-op arena, but it's not OK in Hunter Arena. I'm tired of seeing the same constant duplicate treasures in co-op arena and not being able to complete my final 5 sets. All I'm missing is the baseball cap for Drake, the headwrap for Desert Drake, the fancy hat for Marlowe, the glasses for Eddy, and the bandit mask for Flynn. I'm just missing the final drop for each of them, but I keep getting the same common treasures over and over again including for those sets.

I have noticed that ever since the title update or whatever it was, the amount of treasure drops have increased in co-op arena. Previously for me, sometimes I would get at least one treasure drop out of every 2 or 3 matches. Just one. Now I'm getting constant treasure drops in every match, which is nice. It'd be nicer if they weren't duplicate treasures, but at least I can say that I've noticed more drops occurring.

If there's ONE mode where the treasure system is even worse than co-op arena...it HAS to be Hardcore. THERE is a mode where the treasure system is complete bullshit. You can play god knows how many matches in that mode and not get a single treasure drop. When I play Hardcore, I always get around 20 kills per match, and it's incredibly FRUSTRATING that I get no treasure drops whatsoever, but when I do...it's the infamous Just Cash. Fuck that shit. Just Cash needs to be fucking REMOVED from Hardcore. i can't believe that piece of shit medal is there especially considering the treasure drops in Hardcore are even RARER than co-op arena. Since you can't use boosters in Hardcore, you can't use Treasure Hunter to increase your drop rate. How can this be remedied? Either increase the chances of a treasure dropping, REMOVE Just Cash, or introduce a Treasure Hunter booster. Shit, it could act as the bronze version of it for all I care, but at least it'll be something.

ALSO:

On maps like The Highrise/City of Ass, if you kill a NPC or human player while they're jumping from a building to another building and they drop a treasure, guess what? You're fucked because the treasure drops all the way to the bottom of the map and there is no way for you to retrieve it. If that happens, the game should just give you the treasure automatically instead of screwing you over.
I agree 100%.

Too bad that Arne doesn't even respond on this thread anymore. :(

I read it. The article is pretty much stating how the treasure system is and he doesn't like certain aspects of it and that it most likely won't change. Anybody who has played this game before already knows this and people who haven't aren't going to read this, so what is the point?

Co-Op Shade Survival Mode Announced, Flashback Map Pack 2 Available Tomorrow

Speaking of new DLC we’re announcing today that a new game type is coming in March to Uncharted 3 multiplayer. It’s called Co-Op Shade Survival mode and if you look at the screenshot above it is just a small taste of what you'll need to get prepared for in this fiery new game type.

ND Blog

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
I read it. The article is pretty much stating how the treasure system is and he doesn't like certain aspects of it and that it most likely won't change. Anybody who has played this game before already knows this and people who haven't aren't going to read this, so what is the point?
To spread awareness that the treasure system could use an improvement? It's no rocket science. Here we have hundreds of video game sites and here comes one that actually is talking about the multiplayer component of Uncharted 3 (GASP!) and you're so quick to entirely dismiss it.

Co-op Shade Survival is an awesome announcement. It was already known a while back, but it's so fucking good to know that it's going to be what I had hoped it would be. CANNOT WAIT.

Can't wait to get paired up with parties of 5 Legacy 3 players tomorrow when the DLC hits. Oh boy, it's going to be so fun....

I agree 100%.

Too bad that Arne doesn't even respond on this thread anymore. :(
I know, dude. Not even on the ND forum! Lack of communication sucks from ND, which is slightly surprising considering they were doing a decent job at communicating the changes back when they said they would do it. Now it's a ghost town.

Some info via Eric from ND:

Posted by: rafael_martines on 02-20-2012

Hey Eric and what about Rika Raja and Daniel Pinkerton skins? I miss Rika XD

Posted by: Eric-ND on 02-20-2012

No plans for those. Sorry!

--------------------------------------------

Posted by: XxGoDrinkAcidxX on 02-20-2012

Are there gonna be trophies?! Id Be SUPER Excited If There Was!

Posted by: Eric-ND on 02-20-2012

We will update you in March when the mode launches. The Flashback Map pack 2 won’t have trophies.
It's so weird to read that there won't be Rika/Pinkerton skins because they appear in the ending credits.

Also, I know most people will be disappointed with the lack of trophies, but I'm glad there's no online trophies. Don't want people boosting for them like they did in UC2.

looks like they also won't raise the legacy cap either with tomorrow's flashback pack.

Read my post: to raise awareness, so that the ND devs could improve it.

TripOpt55

Looking forward to the new mode. And less so to the new maps tomorrow. I am just losing interest in the competitive side of things. I will play them some on arena co-op though.

so decided to play this game.
and prompted me to update to 1.04...
15 mins later

still waiting for this 0% to go up. sigh.

NVM: its my fucking router. every time the system connects to PSN it reboots the router. FUCKING A

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
Looking forward to the new mode. And less so to the new maps tomorrow. I am just losing interest in the competitive side of things. I will play them some on arena co-op though.
Sometimes I feel the same way when I play TDM, but Team Objective keeps things fresh for me so it's my main mode 95% of the time. It's just different and I love that it encourages good team work to actually win a match. Sometimes I'll get frustrated with it because of crappy team mates, but when you have a good team, that mode is a ton of fun. There's been rounds where it is neck and neck, and I can't even begin to describe the anticipation of knowing who will take that particular round. I'd enjoy Plunder more if that mode wasn't filled with people who farm for kills and if I wasn't only the one going to for the idol to progress it. Because of those reasons, I hardly touch it.

3 Team Deathmatch in my opinion is the most fun and the only mode where I literally have ZERO complaints about. It's the best idea ND has ever come up with and I hope they don't ever tweak it. That mode is just perfect and I can spent hours into that mode when I'm playing with a friend. Good team work and communication are essential and despite being only six people for a match, it works amazingly well. Love that shit so much.

And co-op is just the icing in the cake. Whenever I'm bored of competitive, I can always jump into a co-op arena match and just enjoy myself. Playing with randoms you never know what to expect in terms of how they're going to play/if they're good team mates, etc. so it keeps things fresh. And like I mentioned earlier, most people that play co-op are actually good players and understand what they're supposed to do. There are the annoying players who will never go for the idol in Gold Rush, who will go rambo-like in Crushing and get killed, who are trolls, but for every one of those players, you'll get great team players who will stick by you and kick ass with you.

Something that I've noticed is that ND is really focusing on co-op stuff this time around, which is something they really didn't do with Uncharted 2. I'm actually quite happy with this, even if I do think co-op arena is better in UC2.

I'm excited about the maps tomorrow. My favorite maps are finally in UC3. This game is basically UC2 now. As for the shades mode announcement, it may have potential. I just hope ND doesn't just add the regular djinn we all fought in story mode and coop fort and just throw them in regular arena style and call it a day.

iLLmAtlc

Man am I the only one who thinks this was really lame?

Yesterday some guy was complaining about me for using the FAL even though

a)He was in a party of 5 triple legacy players with ridiculous kills/deaths like 15,000-2000 and 40,000-6,000 (two guys left because their KDRs weren't high enough I assume)

b)The guy complaining was using Gold Bargain with Paid Bargain (not sure what the kickback was) and he had another friend using Ping on Chateau.

I mean, are people that dense to not even realize the hypocrispy of complaining about a weapon when they themselves are using loadouts like that? I didn't even do that well (finished 4-4, late joined) and their team couldn't stop crying everytime I killed them.

People in this game (and probably MP games in general) really need to chill a little bit.

Sorry for the rant but I just kinda had to vent and I'm not in the business of sending people hatemail.

Mikey Jr.

I really don't think the caravan sequence gets enough praise.

I was just replaying U3, and the whole sequence just made me feel like a bad ass. I got goosebumps when I jumped to a caravan from my horse, shot/punched the guy, jumped to the other caravan, did the same, then jumped to my horse which was waiting for me, and then looked back and shot 2 motorcycles chasing me, then sped between the 2 caravans, grabbed the 2 rpgs and blasted the trucks in front. Everything was in one fluid motion, no fuck ups at all.

Plus the graphics when you are looking at the convoy from the cliffs.

Fucking gorgeous on my 22inch monitor. Cant wait to play it on my 51inch plasma in 3d. I'll probably cream my pants.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
Why can't people get it through their heads to hide if you're marked as a Marked Man? Oh no, i'm going to run out in the open in the middle of gun fights to die like an idiot. The worst part is that sometimes the same person will still get marked and do the same shit again. Wtf. :|

I don't have a problem with the FAL now so I don't understand why those people were sending you hate. Those loadouts are pretty cheap, and the stacking of bargain just screams try hard to me. I bet they were a party of 5 using the GMAL because that's all the rage these days. Ping is disgusting especially on small maps like the Chateau where its range is deadly in the capable hands of a good player.

Everyone should have a Cloaked load out especially since there's like 8 variants of situational awareness in the game.

Can someone explain this to me:

in co-op arena, when the map selection starts and the difficulty is up to vote...if I'm the only person who votes for a certain difficulty, why in the fuck would it go to the lower difficulty? For example, if I vote for Crushing and the other two guys don't vote for shit, it goes to Hard instead. WHY? It makes no sense whatsoever and completely negates my vote. It should still stay in Crushing because its not my fault the other people don't vote.

Skidd

People in this game (and probably MP games in general) really need to chill a little bit.
My Buddy in a match went berserk for picking up his treasure for him.

He sent me a rage message and teamkilled me in the next match.

People play this game way too seriously.

I was just replaying U3, and the whole sequence just made me feel like a bad ass. I got goosebumps when I jumped to a caravan from my horse, shot/punched the guy, jumped to the other caravan, did the same, then jumped to my horse which was waiting for me, and then looked back and shot 2 motorcycles chasing me, then sped between the 2 caravans, grabbed the 2 rpgs and blasted the trucks in front. Everything was in one fluid motion, no fuck ups at all.

Fucking gorgeous on my 22inch monitor. Cant wait to play it on my 51inch plasma in 3d. I'll probably cream my pants.

this sequence is really well done but so badly balanced in crushing so many moments where you're stiiting duck trying to reach the next caravan and moto pop -up behind you ..really annoying ...Technically impressive, badly balanced IMO..

hamchan

It's because Uncharted 2 already did the jumping on trucks in a convoy thing.

Mikey Jr.

this sequence is really well done but so badly balanced in crushing so many moments where you're stiiting duck trying to reach the next caravan and moto pop -up behind you ..really annoying ...Technically impressive, badly balanced IMO..

Ohh, I played it on normal, so it seemed fine to me. Yeah, the motorcycles did seem to pop up behind me out of nowhere, but it really didn't affect me. Probably would on crushing.

It's because Uncharted 2 already did the jumping on trucks in a convoy thing.

Come on man. You cant compare that sequence to this one.

SxP

in co-op arena, when the map selection starts and the difficulty is up to vote...if I'm the only person who votes for a certain difficulty, why in the fuck would it go to the lower difficulty? For example, if I vote for Crushing and the other two guys don't vote for shit, it goes to Hard instead. WHY? It makes no sense whatsoever and completely negates my vote. It should still stay in Crushing because its not my fault the other people don't vote.

I never had this happen. Maybe someone voted last minute? As far as I know, with a 1-1 tie in votes it always goes to the lower difficulty. So that might explain it, unless it happens every single time of course.

Can someone explain this to me:

Crushing requires at least 2 votes otherwise it goes down to Hard, similarly if someone picks a harder difficultly and another picks an easier one, the harder will need another vote or else the easier one will be selected.

Top Bottom