• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 3 |OT| All Developers Dream, But Not Equally

Ratrat

Sorry for the dumb question but I recently bought Map pack 3(only dlc I've bought excluding skins) and after at least 20 ~30 games later I still haven't seen a new map. The dlc option is on btw.What gives?

Kanguro

Neo Member
I think ND broke the DLC when they introduced the latest lab. I was getting regular matches (annoyingly regular) in the Drakes Deception maps before and afterwards I can't seem to get a single match outside of Airstrip, Chateau, London Underground. I went on the ND forums and for some reason they're not even acknowledging the problem, despite tons of users reporting it.

hao chi

Sorry for the dumb question but I recently bought Map pack 3(only dlc I've bought excluding skins) and after at least 20 ~30 games later I still haven't seen a new map. The dlc option is on btw.What gives?

I think a few weeks ago you would have been able to play DLC maps while only having the newest map pack, but since they weighed the Flashback maps more heavily, you're going have difficulty playing the DLC maps unless you get the other two map packs as well.

Basically, right now you have to get matched up against other players who only have the third map pack to play on your new maps.

daxter01

8/8/2010 Blackace was here
I think ND broke the DLC when they introduced the latest lab. I was getting regular matches (annoyingly regular) in the Drakes Deception maps before and afterwards I can't seem to get a single match outside of Airstrip, Chateau, London Underground. I went on the ND forums and for some reason they're not even acknowledging the problem, despite tons of users reporting it.
same problem here

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
Robert Gogburn replied to an awesome thread on the ND forums (here) and said the following:
We are not changing any weapons settings until 1.13 goes live. 1.13 does address the aim assist on scoped weapons.

F.I.N.A.L.L.Y.

This was one of the biggest problems the game still has, and it's finally getting addressed. So happy for that. It's a shame that the ROF M9 won't be addressed in 1.13, but I know it'll get adjusted in future patches.

For your DLC worries/troubles, he said he will look into it on Monday. So hopefully there's a live update in the future for you guys.

Good. I assume this will apply to Co-Op as well. Hate getting gunned down when there's two armored shotguns side by side and I can't hit one.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
Ridiculous amounts of it.

Try a G-MAL with accuracy.

Or use the Dragon Sniper against moving targets.

Or use any scoped in weapon (hell even NON-scoped in weapons) when you have two targets in front of you.

it's horrible.

hao chi

Or use any scoped in weapon (hell even NON-scoped in weapons) when you have two targets in front of you.

it's horrible.

Even without accuracy the aim assist on the G-MAL is fucking nuts. Sometimes it's so bad it literally prevents me from aiming at someone, because my aim will get stuck about a foot away from an enemy and it won't let me move it towards them.

Thank god they're fixing that. I wish I shared your confidence in the M9 RoF being fixed though.

FINALLY goddamit!! The aim assist was something I literally cried about for months on the ND forums to no avail. It's good that they finally will address this(8 months later) but w/e.

Patch 1.13 sounds like it can be the relaunch of UC3 MP. New legacies, customization, aim assist, and other unknown stuff this sh1t is gonna be big.

jett

D-Member
Played some games with a newbie friend who's also a COD player. I think she was pretty annoyed most of the time LOL, complains that it takes an hour to kill people. She was getting better with each game though.

it's horrible.

I see. I don't use any of those weapons(cuz i hate them).

Thank god for the aim-assist patch. Even when people barely entered my view, I noticed it locking on them.

Also, I hope wherever this series goes in the future, they have more reoccurring villains. If they went ahead with episodic content, then they could not worry about set-pieces feeling out of place with the story and have pulp-style cliff-hangers between each episode.

I normally wouldn't be excited about episodic content, but I'd feel ND's style of "come up with action sequences, then justify them" would lend itself well to this (although I don't know whether that just started with UC3). And I feel as if villains like Eddie Raja and Marlowe were underutilised. Lazaravic was very one-dimensional, yet well-portrayed and explored fully for what he was. The others had much more potential I believe. This is probably the only series I'd like to see sequel hooks for though.

jett

D-Member
Eddy Raja is the best villain the series has had. Funny and full of personality, simply a memorable character. Harry Flynn is a close second, but he's more of an asshole than truly endearing. :p Everyone else sucks as far as I'm concerned.

Yeah, Flynn was an asshole, but I felt that he, like Lazaravic, was had satisfying arcs and didn't "understay" their welcome.

Eddie's relationship with Drake should continue
trying to backtrack on the spoiler territory here since I've hinted at his death
and have them competing for treasure without outright trying to kill one another. That's a dynamic I think would fit well with the overall lighthearted tone of Uncharted. I'd rather future games be more about avoiding death while treasure seeking rather than being in straight up gun battles most of the game, though UC2 and 3 did a good job (particularly UC2) in the "keep shootouts from being straightforward, waist-high wall affairs."

Marlowe's organization could've (could?) still be a reoccurring presence, but whatever. I just want a sequel where Drake is retracing Sully's steps on some old adventure in the 70s where you play as Sully in the flashbacks which are the bulk of the game, à la Eternal Darkness.

I'm really starting to hate this quit penality, especially when I'm kicked out of the game for no reason (was just in a plunder match, about to get the idol back to my team, when all of a sudden, I was taken out of the game with no message of being removed).

iLLmAtlc

Personally I think Flynn's a pretty crappy villain. He's kinda dumb and he's basically Lazaervic's bitch the whole game. However I do like using him online because his sayings are all awesome "Incoming!"

LuuKyK

Holy shit @ the 37 kills Rewrite got in a match. I average at 10 probably. :lol Can't imagine me reaching that number ever. <_<

I started playing the mutliplayer and although, as a package, the game has much more content and customization options that Uncharted 2, the damage model severely hampers my enjoyment of the game. The health is way, way too high. Uncharted 2 post patches was perfect. This feels more like Halo.

Rikyfree

I started playing the mutliplayer and although, as a package, the game has much more content and customization options that Uncharted 2, the damage model severely hampers my enjoyment of the game. The health is way, way too high. Uncharted 2 post patches was perfect. This feels more like Halo.

What is this, I don't even....

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
Holy shit @ the 37 kills Rewrite got in a match. I average at 10 probably. :lol Can't imagine me reaching that number ever. <_<
You'll get there if you keep playing!

Don't think I bailed on you yesterday. When I sent you the message that you got split, you backed out out of the game and took me with you...but it froze my PS3 in the process.

I said the same thing.

You need to inflict way too much damage to an opponent to kill an enemy. There were many Instances where I started firing to an enemy from behind and he got away, which is simply stupid. Not to mention how ineffective are grenades compared to Uncharted 2. Uncharted 2 multiplayer post-patches was, from a purely gameplay perspective, perfect. Uncharted 3 is a big downgrade, primarly because of the damage model.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
Way too much damage is laughable. Improve your aim, know what distances you can kill people with whatever weapon you are using and you won't have a problem with the health. It is perfect.

LuuKyK

You'll get there if you keep playing!

Don't think I bailed on you yesterday. When I sent you the message that you got split, you backed out out of the game and took me with you...but it froze my PS3 in the process.

I said the same thing.

No biggie, it froze on me too, then my internet went down, and I had to go out too. And yes I have to keep on training because I got slaughtered on a match earlier today. I swear, I hate this guys with the Fal. Ugh. -_-

Way too much damage is laughable. Improve your aim, know what distances you can kill people with whatever weapon you are using and you won't have a problem with the health. It is perfect.

Disagree. Uncharted 2 felt way better and combat just felt right, as every bullet had a significant impact. Grenades also actually made an impact on the combat, while now you have to throw them with pin-point accuracy to score a kill.

hao chi

You need to inflict way too much damage to an opponent to kill an enemy. There were many Instances where I started firing to an enemy from behind and he got away, which is simply stupid. Not to mention how ineffective are grenades compared to Uncharted 2. Uncharted 2 multiplayer post-patches was, from a purely gameplay perspective, perfect. Uncharted 3 is a big downgrade, primarly because of the damage model.

After 1.05, kills were earned pretty much because you saw the other person first. If you were being shot at, you usually didn't have any time to react, and one-on-one gunfights weren't nearly as important. The platforming elements also took a hit because climbing anything was too risky with how quickly you would die.

It's fine if you prefer the Uncharted 2-style, but I don't think anybody here is going to agree with you.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
Disagree. Uncharted 2 felt way better and combat just felt right, as every bullet had a significant impact. Grenades also actually made an impact on the combat, while now you have to throw them with pin-point accuracy to score a kill.
I'll give you that every bullet had significant impact because of hit boxes, but outside of that there wasn't any way to avoid getting killed if you were shot from the back and this was made much worse when 1.05 hit. Only to way "avoid" getting killed was by bunny hopping, which was extremely cheap and stupid. Grenades were overpowered too when UC2 first released because the blast radius was ridiculous. Why bother shooting your gun when your grenades could take out three people at once? They were later fixed (thank god), but let's not pretend to forget that EVERYONE always threw a grenade when they were about to get killed, thus killing you with him. The grenades in UC3 are fine as it is, it's just that the throwback radius was increased from the original beta that it is now much easier to throw them back, thus making people say that they are worthless. It needs to be reduced to make it more skillful because at the moment, it's way too easy to throw them back especially grenade kickbacks (mega bomb anyone?).

jett

D-Member
Grenades in UC3 suck ass, they simply take too long to explode, and add to that the throwback mechanic. Every grenade I throw gets thrown back most of the time(and viceversa). Meh. It's why I keep using quickboom, it's the only way to have grenades that are actually useful. And even then they still have poor range and are weak as fuck.

Mr. Fix

Grenades in UC3 suck ass, they simply take too long to explode, and add to that the throwback mechanic. Every grenade I throw gets thrown back most of the time(and viceversa). Meh. It's why I keep using quickboom, it's the only way to have grenades that are actually useful. And even then they still have poor range and are weak as fuck.

I agree. 9/10, my attempts to roll or back-throw a grenade to escape have failed. The only time it ever works that way is if the other person isn't paying attention, or tried a melee while charging at me.

LuuKyK

I agree. 9/10, my attempts to roll or back-throw a grenade to escape have failed. The only time it ever works that way is if the other person isn't paying attention, or tried a melee while charging at me.

I only kill with grenades with the revenge booster. :lol And only those who are not paying attention.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
Most of you need to watch that video tapantaola posted because it seems most of you don't even know how to use these techniques.

They're really helpful.

iLLmAtlc

It's hard for ND to win it seems. I remember back in the U2 days there were a lot of complaints about all of the grenade spamming but now they're supposedly too weak. =/ I think they're pretty good in their current state because they are still useful in some situations (trying to flush people out, throwing one during a busy gun fight) but don't dominate the fights like they used to.

hao chi

It's hard for ND to win it seems. I remember back in the U2 days there were a lot of complaints about all of the grenade spamming but now they're supposedly too weak. =/ I think they're pretty good in their current state because they are still useful in some situations (trying to flush people out, throwing one during a busy gun fight) but don't dominate the fights like they used to.

I think if they just tweak the throwback range and/or throwback timer they'll be fine.

Though even now grenades aren't useless. You just gotta get creative with them.

I'd say the throwback timer/range are fine as is. It's supposed to be risky throwing a live grenade back at someone. ND already extends the timer if you manage to do it so you don't get punished for successfully throwing one back. It's more likely they'd make them worse somehow if made changes. Only thing I can think of they should tweak is GMAL rate of fire.

hao chi

I'd say the throwback timer/range are fine as is. It's supposed to be risky throwing a live grenade back at someone. ND already extends the timer if you manage to do it so you don't get punished for successfully throwing one back. It's more likely they'd make them worse somehow if made changes. Only thing I can think of they should tweak is GMAL rate of fire.

That's why I think grenade throwbacks need to be tweaked. There's no risk to trying to throw one back, other than sometimes lag will make the throwback timer screwy and you'll pick up a weapon instead.

The throwback range and timer as they are are overly generous, I think.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
I think its fine for regular grenades most of the time, but for grenade kickbacks especially with the Mega Bomb, the throwback radius is HUGE.

jett

D-Member
why is every pistol so fucking awful in this game, why maynes, why. :| it's a disgrace.

why won't they buff up that shit

I think its fine for regular grenades most of the time, but for grenade kickbacks especially with the Mega Bomb, the throwback radius is HUGE.
I think it's a conscious design choice, because it also has a huge blast radius.

why is every pistol so fucking awful in this game, why maynes, why. :| it's a disgrace.

Dude, have you tried Jade Para9?

That Para 9 was amazing during the beta. It didn't have irregular rate of fire and the blindfire was godly. People were complaining about how good it was and lo and behold, it sucks now

That Para 9 was amazing during the beta. It didn't have irregular rate of fire and the blindfire was godly. People were complaining about how good it was and lo and behold, it sucks now
Wait, what?

It took 10 bullets to kill someone with the Para 9 in the beta and then they buffed it up to 6 bullets...

And you could almost guarantee all your shots would hit while blind firing at close distance during the beta. And every time you pulled the trigger, it would fire, iirc.

Now, you'll miss at least a 1/4 of your shits while blind firing right next to someone. And there's this weird, irregular rate of fire while shooting. It'll start slow, then speed up.

EDIT: Leaving that typo in

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
You couldn't be more wrong, Spring Loaded.

Jade/Marlowe's Para 9 will never miss any shots when you are blindfiring. I'll grant you that Drake's Para 9 will occasionally miss, but its rare. The jamming was also present in the beta.

And the beta Para 9 took forever to kill someone until they reduced the amount of bullets, making it so much better. Honestly, it's like some of you guys are playing a different version of the game.

I think it's a conscious design choice, because it also has a huge blast radius.
I'm going to steal a video that haochi posted a while back.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_otq6ufFNLk&feature=g-hist

That's just ridiculous.

Top Bottom