• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 3 |OT| All Developers Dream, But Not Equally

Gorillaz

For the first time in months I had a blast on UC3 last night, me and 2 other randoms were going on a winning streak like no other. Brought back some much missed fun for me.

Tho Like I stated before I feel the game would benefit more being weapons-spawn-on map based, because custom classes kind of ruin it for me...but thats an old topic.

Toppot

Sometimes this game pisses me right off.

Half the time I swear my punch fails to go off, the other persons punch always hits me first and a second after I have pressed my button, the grenade also fails to launch sometimes. I'm trying to get the Hardcore treasures and it really annoys me when one drops on the last or second to last kill, how the hell am I meant to pick those up? As far as I'm concerned any treasures that have been out for under 30 seconds at the end of the match should automatically be picked up.

/rant

On a lighter note, I laugh everytime that British old guy says 'Well shit my pants!' when there's a grenade near him xD

Gorillaz

Half the time I swear my punch fails to go off, the other persons punch always hits me first and a second after I have pressed my button, the grenade also fails to launch sometimes. I'm trying to get the Hardcore treasures and it really annoys me when one drops on the last or second to last kill, how the hell am I meant to pick those up? As far as I'm concerned any treasures that have been out for under 30 seconds at the end of the match should automatically be picked up.

/rant

On a lighter note, I laugh everytime that British old guy says 'Well shit my pants!' when there's a grenade near him xD
Agreed on Treasure pickups, do you use the treasure booster thing tho?

Yea ill admit the mechanics are a little....painful.. at times. Like the gernade throws and throwbacks. Bulletspread is a problem as well as combat at times.

Idk, still like it but not taking it as serious as I did during the summer beta or at launch.

Toppot

Agreed on Treasure pickups, do you use the treasure booster thing tho?

Yea ill admit the mechanics are a little....painful.. at times. Like the gernade throws and throwbacks. Bulletspread is a problem as well as combat at times.

Idk, still like it but not taking it as serious as I did during the summer beta or at launch.
I do but since boosters are off in Hardcore it doesn't matter =P Its just frustrating me because I'm having to play against people to get the treasures. I much prefer Co-op Adventure and Co-op Arena. Still, only 2 more to get in hardcore then I can just play co-op arena to my hearts content to get the rest, unless they add new treasures or you have to do missions to get anything new in 1.13

/rant

Try having treasures dropping out of bounds, in the air, inside the wall, or inside the floor. I seriously hate when that happens to me. I sort of am starting to believe one of those would have been the Emerald Chimera, which is my last Hardcore treasure I need. You can pick up treasures if it's at very end of the game. If you know where it's at, just mash Triangle near it, assuming you can make it. I do agree they should automatically be picked up.

I share all your sentiments in regards to this game not being that fun when you are playing alone.

Most of the time you'll be frustrated and pissed because the way the game balances teams is just bullshit. You'll get shit like this:

The 2 split-screeners just had to be in my team while the rest of the other randoms get placed on one team.

If it's not due to shitty balancing, it's due to facing off against parties. They are those rare occasions when your team of randoms beats a party of 5 in TDM/Team Objective/Plunder/etc and it feels so good. Just the other day, in TDM...I had nothing but randoms in my team against a party of 5 (or 4, don't remember) that had 2 and up KDR's each. My randoms weren't good and throughout the whole match I kept thinking I was going to lose and honestly...it was such a heated match for me because I was the one getting all the kills while my team mates were dying over and over. Some people on my team quit that had 1 kill and 7 deaths and I kept thinking I was going to lose. To make it short, the match ended like this:

Felt so good, man. :)

------------

AMAZING games tonight, GS2 and Monochrome. That final Plunder match..god damn. GOD FUCKING DAMN. 3 (us) vs. a party of 5 fucking players that had over 1k captures each. We got our fucking rematch and beat the shit out of them. and it's the same party we beat the other day 5-0. they talked so much shit. :lol

Heh, I've had the lovely experience of being paired up with two low leveled split-screen parties. yeah.... I saw no win in my future. I just leave and take the loss. No way I'm going sit through a frustrating losing game. Besides, split-screeners tend to almost always leave.

Yeah amazing games, man. Pissed that our randoms didn't do shit, but I'm happy to know we beat them even with crappy split-screeners on our side.

Toppot

Try having treasures dropping out of bounds, in the air, inside the wall, or inside the floor. I seriously hate when that happens to me. I sort of am starting to believe one of those would have been the Emerald Chimera, which is my last Hardcore treasure I need. You can pick up treasures if it's at very end of the game. If you know where it's at, just mash Triangle near it, assuming you can make it. I do agree they should automatically be picked up.
I've had them go out of bounds and in walls. What gets me more is when you kill someone in the sea or over a gap and the treasure just falls to the bottom. Least make it spawn on land nearest where they died, I cant dive down or jump down a massive pit to get it ND! And same, starting to convince myself that the ones I miss are the ones I need. Just have to keep reminding myself its probably Just cash or a Duplicate, but I'll never know! ='[

Inanna

Not pure anymore!

/rant

Yep, and sometimes when you punch them you just hit the air even though they're right next to you and when someone else does it people zoom in melee you and zoom back to where they were. So damn annoying!

I've had them go out of bounds and in walls. What gets me more is when you kill someone in the sea or over a gap and the treasure just falls to the bottom. Least make it spawn on land nearest where they died, I cant dive down or jump down a massive pit to get it ND! And same, starting to convince myself that the ones I miss are the ones I need. Just have to keep reminding myself its probably Just cash or a Duplicate, but I'll never know! ='[

I do the same. I don't pick maps that have easily accessible death zones because of the treasure falling. If a map like Highrise or City of Brass gets picked, I have to be very careful where I'm killing.

Dibbz

Guys I'm wondering if I should get the map packs.

Is it easy to get into matches with the DLC maps or do they rarely come in the rotation? Do people generally like the maps or do they usually vote for the vanilla maps? Do you guys think it's worth the money they ask for each pack (£7)?

hao chi

Is it easy to get into matches with the DLC maps or do they rarely come in the rotation? Do people generally like the maps or do they usually vote for the vanilla maps? Do you guys think it's worth the money they ask for each pack (£7)?

It depends, do you like the U2 maps? There's no point in just buying just one or two of the map packs because if you don't have them all you'll never play them, but if you buy all three you'll get to play them pretty often. I'm not sure how you feel about buying old maps though.

I like having the map packs because I much prefer the U2 maps over U3's, and as for the brand new maps, two of them I really like, one of them I like, and the other one is somehow worse than Highrise.

So I am trying to go back through this game again to collect all the treasure, but I just have no drive. I could easily play Uncharted 1 and 2 over and over again. I really don't know what it is. Anyone else have this problem?

jett

D-Member

I dunno tbh, lots of people play without DLC. It's 8 UC2 maps and 4 new maps.

BHK3

Banned
So I am trying to go back through this game again to collect all the treasure, but I just have no drive. I could easily play Uncharted 1 and 2 over and over again. I really don't know what it is. Anyone else have this problem?

Have the same problem, beat the game once and got maybe 40% in through crushing difficulty. I beat U1 and U2 easily 10 times over.

Also, about the customization thing, did ND just NOW reply to that thread? I remember reading that thread waaaayyyyy back at launch for U3, did they seriously only now say something about it? (Of course they swept it under the rug with hilarious excuses, did you people learn nothing from how they acted during U2's lifespan?)

Ydahs

Just arrived at
The Atlantis of the Sands
. The section before that was visually amazing on a big screen.

I'm loving this game just as much as U2. I think the fact that I held off from playing it for so long helped my impression of it because I'm going in without any hype at all. It's been a brilliant experience so far.

Assuming I only have a couple of hours left?

Thanks for the games, Rewrite. I'm sorry 'bout not inviting you, hao-chi, but my friend, who is new to Uncharted 3, came and joined us, thus filling the last spot. I was showing him the ropes and everything, so maybe next time.

Xdye7

Next time might be hao chi and I against your tryhard full party if we meet in matchmaking ;)

Anyways, I can't wait to play with you guys again. It has been quite a while since last time.

On another note, fellow gaffers feel free to add me (Xdye7). I enjoy most modes, particularly Team Objective.

Next time might be hao chi and I against your tryhard full party if we meet in matchmaking ;)

Anyways, I can't wait to play with you guys again. It has been quite a while since last time.

On another note, fellow gaffers feel free to add me (Xdye7). I enjoy most modes, particularly Team Objective.

SjShane is not a tryhard. He's cool, just weird that he always sits in the lobby.

I can finally have a Hardcore partner again. I get placed on shitty teams. :p

hao chi

Thanks for the games, Rewrite. I'm sorry 'bout not inviting you, hao-chi, but my friend, who is new to Uncharted 3, came and joined us, thus filling the last spot. I was showing him the ropes and everything, so maybe next time.

It's cool. I really was only getting on for one or two games before I went to try to finish Persona 3.

And when we win StarGAF will be like "B-b-b-b-but my teammates sucked!" :D

Xdye7

SjShane is not a tryhard. He's cool, just weird that he always sits in the lobby.

I can finally have a Hardcore partner again. I get placed on shitty teams. :p

I wuz keeding.

I'm pretty sure he's AFK when unresponsively sitting in the lobby.

Anyways, I have had a 35 hour day, so I'll see you guys online tomorrow.

GRIP

I'm just curious.... do any of you guys have or know somebody with a Master Chef medal?

Edit: I know, very random question.

I think I've had it. Is it a co-op medal?

Well, GAF, I've been reset. ND, please fix this crap. I lost all of my progress since I started the Subway beta and this is the first time I've ever been reset. I can't believe this bug is becoming more and more common. I cannot get my progress back at all, but please give us a goddamn fix or an alternative solution to prevent this again.

And all I needed was the Emerald Chimera. 1.13 better give me easy access to treasures.

Xdye7

Well, GAF, I've been reset. ND, please fix this crap. I lost all of my progress since I started the Subway beta and this is the first time I've ever been reset. I can't believe this bug is becoming more and more common. I cannot get my progress back at all, but please give us a goddamn fix or an alternative solution to prevent this again.

And all I needed was the Emerald Chimera. 1.13 better give me easy access to treasures.

Wow. Speechless. Sorry man.

On the bright side, 1.13 should have that treasure thing, and you can go for a perfect WLR if you always party up with Rewrite and I :D. Oh and you'll be able to go for the new legacies with no regrets about losing your booster progress and money.

At the end of the day, it's still not worth stressing over. No video game is. It certainly shouldn't have happened, but there's nothing more you can do.

Bummer. :\

Had you bought everything (boosters/kickbacks/mods/skins/accessories/taunts/emblems) before the reset?

Did you quit any match?

Toppot

Blog post up about the make.believe skin

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2012...uts-one-uncharted-fan-in-nathan-drakes-boots/

Looks like a cool unique character with backflips through taunts and jump animations along with a few alternative clothes for him.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=CDul_GdDMxU

EDIT: More info at the ND blog
http://www.naughtydog.com/site/post/spyder_joins_uncharted_3_multiplayer/
GDXzL.jpg

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
And when we win StarGAF will be like "B-b-b-b-but my teammates sucked!" :D
You've always been a witness of the bullshit I have to put up with when it comes to randoms. If it was a team of just me, you two bitches wouldn't stand a chance! Ha.

Wtf.

W
T
F

:|

I'd be BEYOND pissed if this ever happens to me. That really sucks. Guess I'm stuck with a low level tryhard noob on my team now. <3

but seriously, that sucks man. sorry to hear that. No words.

That new character looks awesome, IMO. If only the UC3/UC2 skins had this amount of attention to detail and move sets...

Wow. Speechless. Sorry man.

On the bright side, 1.13 should have that treasure thing, and you can go for a perfect WLR if you always party up with Rewrite and I :D. Oh and you'll be able to go for the new legacies with no regrets about losing your booster progress and money.

At the end of the day, it's still not worth stressing over. No video game is. It certainly shouldn't have happened, but there's nothing more you can do.

Yeah, probably won't go for the treasures until 1.13. Just gonna stay at Level 75, normal rank. Cloaked Gold tho... It was the hardest booster I leveled up. While I don't care about my competitive stats, my Co-Op stats were my rock. 76 Crushings done, so it was basically my certification of a Crushing master. :(

Bummer. :\

Had you bought everything (boosters/kickbacks/mods/skins/accessories/taunts/emblems) before the reset?

Did you quit any match?

Yes, everything I could purchase I spent my cash on. That was a few months ago tho. Yeah, I had to quit a game because I had to go, then I turned the PS3 off via XMB while still in the lobby. I think that's why... Still this bug should not happen.

Wtf.

W
T
F

:|

I'd be BEYOND pissed if this ever happens to me. That really sucks. Guess I'm stuck with a low level tryhard noob on my team now. <3

but seriously, that sucks man. sorry to hear that. No words.

But, I'll get to Level 75 with a Star and be all pro.

Just started playing the game and wanted to ask; what does Aiming Assist do?

While you're scoped-in, the aiming reticule follows the enemy. The aim-assist gets all wonky when there's 2 players side by side.

Xdye7

Guess I'm stuck with a low level tryhard noob on my team now. <3

Uh... lol

That new character looks awesome, IMO. If only the UC3/UC2 skins had this amount of attention to detail and move sets...

Watch the skin be a legacy reward. We can not use him, together!

But, I'll get to Level 75 with a Star and be all pro.

You won't need the star if you play with Rewrite... harharhar

Also, hao chi will now be the odd one out with his tryhard 3rd legacy badge.

---

I haven't seen anyone mention anything in regards to the the Cloaked Gold fix (making disruption immunity work properly) in 1.13.

I have a huge problem with Cloaked. It's SO much better than all of the other boosters; providing far more advantages than the rest. In my opinion, it should be like this:

Cloaked Bronze:
-Player indicator does not appear to enemies

Cloaked Silver:
-Jumping and climbing sounds are quieter

Cloaked Gold:
-Jumping and climbing sounds aren't audible

Thoughts?

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
I would just like to de-level Cloaked Gold to Bronze/Silver levels. I hate Gold. My character says NOTHING. It's boring to play with it. Cloaked Gold was fine before the buff it received, with the exception of the grunting noises your character would make when they would climb. If they had reduced the climbing noise to silver level..or shit, just make the climbing silent like the way it is right now and keep the character banter/character death/character hurt dialogue it would have been perfectly fine for me. I won't even touch it unless I'm facing a party of 5 because it's just boring to play without character banter.

Mikey Jr.

Did the EULA agreement come up again and you accepted it?

Just want as much info as possible to prevent this from happening to me.

dokish

Banned
Just finished it. I played the original as soon as I got my PS3 years ago and finished U2 when it was released.

The graphics were amazing and there's nothing else I can say that wasn't been told already. Crysis has better textures yeah, but as a whole NO GAME comes close to Uncharted. (This makes me think about all the missing opportunities on making a scary Resident Evil).

Now, the rage:

- ONE MILLION TROOPS. This was bad. I can say the gunplay was the worst part of it. It's not about "mass murder Drake", is about having to kill 30 guys in a roll. It was annoying. You are in this big chase, or big exploration, or big tension/mystery moment and then you have to shoot 20-30 dudes. The correct way to play this is on Very Easy/Easy because makes the game more "smooth and lessens the break of fluidity".

- Enemies dodging bullets while their back are turned on you. WHAT THE HELL. Gears of War has this and is the most annoying thing ever. Enemies would jump to cover from cover while they aren't even facing you. I now "cover shooter" is the mainstream, but can we stop using this so much? Trying to pick up enemies heads and arms while they were out of cover was annoying. You guys will say "It has always been this way even with the first game". Yes, but is irritating now. Let's move on to new things.

- The series is really great but its features that made the game really great are now wasted. New kind of plataformimg, puzzles, enemies (all the huge dudes that you have to melee-kill have to look exactly the same?), etc are needed. I rather have 5 enemies on screen but that behavior totally different from each other, with different outfits than 30 clones.

- Since you always drag Sully along, I think for this reason developers didn't made the game more open. I don't have information on the story chronologically, but Sully, as much as I like him, is OLD and shouldn't accompany Drake anymore. He must still be shown in the game, yes, but not accompany Drake in his journeys. I wanna a Uncharted less linear, more open, maybe multiple paths. I don't think this will conflict with the story telling.

- Puzzles. The puzzle of the first 10 chapters or so were so dumb and cheap. I mean, the game don't give you any useful tips, actually. Yeah, they gave you tips, but they were useless. I mean, when you have to look in the scope for the "sun" symbol, that as really dumb. The globe puzzle was also pretty cheap. I wanna clever puzzles, not puzzles that is really HARD to EVEN KNOW what the games want from you and call themselves "clever".

- I really like the story and the characters. I like how they didn't overdone Chloe or Elena. I liked them more in the "background". I honestly liked more Salim than Cutter. I was soooo hooked in the first chapters about Drake's past. I wish their next game (next gen pls) is more about Drake and his past. I would love that. It didn't even need to be a PS3 game, a Vita would do. Drake and Sully instantly bond. They have great chemistry together.

- I dunno if this was just me, but Drake's and the aim's handling was a bit off. Don't know exactly what is it, but the controls were a little "loose", "soft". Maybe is my analog or my thumbs.

Well, this is it. I LOVED the game and the triology is really worth anyone's time. I played on a 40" LCD TV (Samsumg) and all I was thinking about was playing this in some 52" LED or even bigger. Great game.

Spoiler about the ending and Uncharted "4":

I really hope they make one last game that ties everything together. Their farewell and Nathan + Elena getting married or something like this. The game ending with him getting on his knees and opening a box and the screen fading out would be awesome. After Uncharted 4 the franchise needs to die. Seriously. Finish it in a great way and don't do the same as Resident Evil or Halo

Did the EULA agreement come up again and you accepted it?

Just want as much info as possible to prevent this from happening to me.

Yup. As soon as I got that sucker, I yanked my power cord (which was not a good thing to do, I know, but anything but a reset to my profile would be fine to me). Booted it back up, checked my stats on the ND page, they were already wiped out. So it came up again, backed out, went back again, and then just accepted it because I knew there really was no way around it.

Funny, the stats page showed the last match I was in before I was reset. I don't know why they don't do profile backups. It'd really prevent this catastrophe from happening to other players. I would not wish this on anyone and really hope no one gets reset. Be careful when signing off the multiplayer!

EDIT: Actually, I'm checking my stats again and my match history is still there from before the reset.

Spoiler about the ending and Uncharted "4":

I really hope they make one last game that ties everything together. Their farewell and Nathan + Elena getting married or something like this. The game ending with him getting on his knees and opening a box and the screen fading out would be awesome. After Uncharted 4 the franchise needs to die. Seriously. Finish it in a great way and don't do the same as Resident Evil or Halo

Well in Uncharted 3 we learn that
they were already married so ending with a proposal wouldn't be as touching nor would it make sense because I don't think they divorced. A kid on the other hand....

Mikey Jr.

Yup. As soon as I got that sucker, I yanked my power cord (which was not a good thing to do, I know, but anything but a reset to my profile would be fine to me). Booted it back up, checked my stats on the ND page, they were already wiped out. So it came up again, backed out, went back again, and then just accepted it because I knew there really was no way around it.

Funny, the stats page showed the last match I was in before I was reset. I don't know why they don't do profile backups. It'd really prevent this catastrophe from happening to other players. I would not wish this on anyone and really hope no one gets reset. Be careful when signing off the multiplayer!

EDIT: Actually, I'm checking my stats again and my match history is still there from before the reset.

Ohh God. I hear this happening WAY too much. I have 120 hours worth of progress on my character, and it would suck so much to lose everything.

Being able to save your MP profile on your PS3 would be great, but I guess thats not possible.

Sucks that happened to you man.

Mikey Jr.

I hope there will be more Uncharted games. I know it is in Naughty Dog's style to stop the previous franchise and create a new one with the next generation (Crash, Jak), but I hope they break this trend for Uncharted.

I could see them stopping the story at 4, but the thing is is that I really like the multiplayer! In my opinion, Uncharted 3 MP is better than 2. I really want to see where they can go with the games for multiplayer. How to make it better, more refined, add in more features, more customization, etc. I think they have a really good foundation with U3, I would just like to see it expanded on.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
Pfft, whatever. You know I carry you.
hao chi yesterday: bu bu bu I'm rusty
n60mS.gif
n60mS.gif

- -

Eric ND posted the following replies to some questions:

Free DLC?

Free lab maps, yes. New maps designed by the designers here. They'll be rotated in and out on a set schedule like all things in the lab. There will be Free DLC beside Spyder and his taunts, yes.

He also posted this in regards to The Stage:

We have something better The Stage. We want to bring you better stuff. Our new labs will have experimental maps. That's all I'm saying but it's it better to show it. We'll have some footage coming within ~10 days up on the blog.

iLLmAtlc

I hope there will be more Uncharted games. I know it is in Naughty Dog's style to stop the previous franchise and create a new one with the next generation (Crash, Jak), but I hope they break this trend for Uncharted.

I could see them stopping the story at 4, but the thing is is that I really like the multiplayer! In my opinion, Uncharted 3 MP is better than 2. I really want to see where they can go with the games for multiplayer. How to make it better, more refined, add in more features, more customization, etc. I think they have a really good foundation with U3, I would just like to see it expanded on.

I'm almost certain we will be seeing Uncharted 4 and then some. I don't think ND ever had an IP that was as popular as Uncharted so there's no way Sony will let them stop.

Taking a breather from the 2 year cycle is good news IMO. Although I still need to go back to give U3 another whirl I kinda feel like after that one and its similarities with U2 ND could use some time to work on new concepts and show what they can do beyond Uncharted (TLOU).

dokish

Banned
Well in Uncharted 3 we learn that
they were already married so ending with a proposal wouldn't be as touching nor would it make sense because I don't think they divorced. A kid on the other hand....

WHAAAAAAAAT. MINDBLOWN.

Stealth proposal? When this happened? I vaguely remember him giving a ring to Elena in the end of U2 or something like this. But wasn't an ENGAGEMENT ring, was it? It as more like a gift, a symbol representing their care and "love" for each other. Yeah yeah, that does sound like an engagement proposal, but it was more like an commitment ring. Like, "let's move our relationship forward", which doesn't necessarily means ENGAGEMENT.

Where DID I miss the whole married thing in U3?? What part?. I was confused when Elena said "you're still wearing it too"... but... The ring in Drake's neck isn't the ring he stole years ago when he met Sully?

Oh boy, I'm no native english speaker, so I must have missed something lol. Or misinterpreted things.

Top Bottom