• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 3 |OT| All Developers Dream, But Not Equally

LOL.

I watched the original video and sort of agreed with some of the points he made yet it's just too late now. ND messed up IMO when they released the game without a nice safe "classic" mode for us vets that preferred that gameplay. Not only that but the mechanics of the game were far too different to even feel like the good ole' UC2 days.

I sometimes cut the game on, look for a match and then cut it off in the middle of matchmaking. I just don't feel excited when I'm about to play or when I'm actually in a match. Nothing feels rewarding.

Could someone describe what UC2 multiplayer was like before the 1.04 (1.05?) update? I only got to play it after that update and wanted to hear how it was in was the good old days.

You actually had to aim.

If me and an enemy started firing at each other at the same time, with me aiming at his face and him aiming at my feet, I would kill him 100% of the time.

After 1.05? Shit didn't matter. Shoot someone in the foot and it does as much damage as a headshot. BRILLIANT!

Xdye7

Generally speaking, I think the blindfire is OK in this game. It's a valid tactic to use in CQC. However, right now, all that is happening is just blindfire + melee/hit and roll. Part of why this tactic is so effective is due to melee taking half of your health away. A person just has to shoot three para 9 bullets and punch you for the kill -- an improvement over UC2's broken 1 pistol shot + melee kill, but could still be improved. How can it be improved? Well I think if melee was a 3 hit kill like in Hardcore, it would make the blindfire rushing less effective. For example, I could be aiming my AK against someone who is rushing blindfiring at me, but still die because my bullets aren't stopping them in time. So what ends up happening is that we both end up dying because he'll still manage to melee me before he dies. If by any chance I kill that person rushing at me, if another one of his team mate is around, he'll steel fist me (in those special melee kill animations) to death since I took some damage.

Making melee do 33% damage wouldn't change much. Instead of firing three Para 9 bullets, you would have to fire four. It works well in Hardcore because the guns do less damage too. Six Para 9 bullets and a melee are required for a kill.

In my opinion, melee should be reduced to 25% damage in normal modes. This way it can be used as truly intended; last resort. Firing a gun at close range should always be better than melee. Right now melee is way better because it deals so much damage, instantly.

---

In case you guys haven't noticed, some accidental(?) adjustments included in the patch were:
-Fleet Foot set at full speed again
-Aim Assist reduced for every gun, including the Dragon
-Running speed while blindfiring has been reduced

Did anybody notice anything else?

Something I would like to see in the next patch would be the removal of all aim-assist/lock-on while blindfiring. They did it for the shotty, now let's see them finish the job.

SxP

Making melee do 33% damage wouldn't change much. Instead of firing three Para 9 bullets, you would have to fire four. It works well in Hardcore because the guns do less damage too. Six Para 9 bullets and a melee are required for a kill.

In my opinion, melee should be reduced to 25% damage in normal modes. This way it can be used as truly intended; last resort. Firing a gun at close range should always be better than melee. Right now melee is way better because it deals so much damage, instantly.

That would definitely get me back to playing the game. I stopped playing in June because I was just so sick of getting killed by M9 Blindfire + Melee. That really makes my blood boil. I jumped back after 1.13, but it did not get better. Hell, it got worse.

TripOpt55

You had more health. You didn't die in 1 second. Camping was much less prevalent. Plunder was the greatest multiplayer mode of all time. Picking up the idol wasn't a death wish. Sigh.

The higher health allowed the Uncharted gameplay to standout. Traversal was effective and combined with people using cover efficiently, allowed for near-death escapes and opportune flanking if that makes sense. Lowering the health made all of that worthless. Climbing became a death wish and cover became camping grounds.

You actually had to aim.

If me and an enemy started firing at each other at the same time, with me aiming at his face and him aiming at my feet, I would kill him 100% of the time.

After 1.05? Shit didn't matter. Shoot someone in the foot and it does as much damage as a headshot. BRILLIANT!

These pretty much cover why 1.04 was so much better. Movement and traversal were encouraged. You had the ability to escape from enemies even if caught from behind. Plunder was actually fun. Less camping.

This also reminded me what a wreck the patch was when it first hit. Not only did it permanently screw up all this awesome stuff, but for a while after the patch the spawn system was completely screwed up. The game seemed to have no idea how to react to people dying faster or more often or whatever. And then the FAL was tweaked and it was even more of a campfest than it is now because that thing was like instant death. It was barely playable for the weeks that followed 1.05.

Boy, all of this talk makes me wish more people stopped and dropped UC3 along with me. I'm not touching it again unless something entices me. That's why I keep checking this thread. Hopes of some type of tweak to hardcore mode to make it feel more like good UC2.

Mikey Jr.

Jesus, why don't they give all maps equal weight? Enough with this DLC pack extra weight bullshit. It is constant DD maps ALL THE FUCKING TIME.

I have played the village maybe like 5-6 times. Fuck sakes.

Yemen in TDM might as well not exist.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
Despite whatever problems uc3 may have, i believe it to be the better game.
Yep. I like UC3 more than I did UC2...and trust me, I loved UC2 MP to death. Team Objective alone is just amazing. So much fun to be had in that mode and it's where I've had my most intense matches. Nothing is better than working together as a team to capture territories, carry the idol for points, or remain inside the hill for X amount of points. It's just a fucking blast and the best part I love about TO is that every part of the map is almost used. That and coupled with the amount of creative ways you can flank people and it's just absolute crack. <3 it

TripOpt55

I do think early Uncharted 2 mp was the best version of Uncharted mp, but I really love Team Objective and Three Team Deathmatch. I wish they were in Uncharted 2. They were great additions.

U2 1.00-1.04 > U2 beta >>>> U3 beta >>>> U2 current = U3 current >>>>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>> U2 1.05

hao chi

>>>>>> U2 1.05

I like the current version of U3 better than the current version of U2, but other than that I completely agree with you.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
AMAZING fucking games tonight, Indoor Scarf, GS2, and haochi!

Let me tell you guys:

We fucked up FABOLES inflated stat party UP. I've never seen people with such fake inflated stats, I swear to fucking god. It was awesome giving them a loss against us. they didn't even stand a chance. :)

Xdye7

Last night was hilarious. I got slaughtered that match and got nothing but assists. Top of the scoreboard though :D

FAB is one of the most well known Uncharted players and probably the most hated. He had like a 315 WLR (~3000 wins and 9 losses, fake obviously) before the patch that added losses. Just YouTube search his name and you'll get dozens of results. Search "eyeconic ragetage" for the best one.

I found it interesting we actually got matched up with them in the first place considering they all have DLC.

Did they change the health or something?

I don't grey out any more at all. Just suddenly drop dead all the time by m9's and AK. It's not lag though.
Is it al those fake ass boosters?

Also: anybody else plays dragon?

Xdye7

Rewrite is a pretty cool guy, eh has a sniper rifle and eh doesn't afraid of anything.

I still get pain wobble with Scoped In Gold. Only noticeable with the snipers.

Mikey Jr.

Apparently a massive shitstorm on the ND forums.

For the stage 3 downloads, you can now buy the skeletons. So people who spent hours upon hours upon hours farming for co-op treasures to get the skeletons, people can now buy for a dollar.

I really don't know how to feel about this to be honest. I don't have the skins and honestly never gave a fuck about them. Spending all that time would jsut be a massive waste in my opinion.

But now that you can buy them for so cheap is also a dick move.

Dunno.

Apparently a massive shitstorm on the ND forums.

For the stage 3 downloads, you can now buy the skeletons. So people who spent hours upon hours upon hours farming for co-op treasures to get the skeletons, people can now buy for a dollar.

I really don't know how to feel about this to be honest. I don't have the skins and honestly never gave a fuck about them. Spending all that time would jsut be a massive waste in my opinion.

But now that you can buy them for so cheap is also a dick move.

Dunno.

Not mention that 2 of them had glitches that weren't fixed until way later. I guess it's good for people who don't want to spend the time unlocking, but yea I would understand why people would be upset. Just seems like another method of making a quick buck.

Though I didn't mind farming for them, it was enjoyable...except for pre-patched Sir Francis Drake.

Xdye7

So many people have the skeleton skins it really doesn't matter. If farming wasn't possible I would understand why the people who played to get them would be mad, but since farming is possible I could care less. Sir Francis Drake takes an hour to get, maximum.

TripOpt55

>>>>>> U2 1.05

This seems fairly accurate.

hao chi

THe current build BETTER? then UC2 current?....idk about all that....

1.09 U2 still has shit-tier health, and then some other issues like bunny hopping, more effective corner shooting, and more glitches (from what I've seen).

I would be more than willing to put up with those issues if ND didn't change the weapon damage.

So yeah, I like U3 as it is now better than the current version of U2.

Let me tell you guys:

We fucked up FABOLES inflated stat party UP. I've never seen people with such fake inflated stats, I swear to fucking god. It was awesome giving them a loss against us. they didn't even stand a chance. :)

Exciting game. Fuck the randoms we got in those DV and LU games.

hao-chi needs to come back to Uncharted 3 again. :p

Gorillaz

1.09 U2 still has shit-tier health, and then some other issues like bunny hopping, more effective corner shooting, and more glitches (from what I've seen).

I would be more than willing to put up with those issues if ND didn't change the weapon damage.

So yeah, I like U3 as it is now better than the current version of U2.

THe aim mechanics in UC2 is the main reason it still shits on UC3 imo, weapons in UC3 are no where to be as close to balanced as UC2 was and stopping power, while some has been added from the subway beta, is pretty much non existant.

The health might be considered bad to people in UC2 but compared to all the problems in UC3 that health is nothing.

And yes I still like UC3

hao chi

hao-chi needs to come back to Uncharted 3 again. :p

Haha, I plan on playing more. I was just distracted with other games for a while.

*cough*Persona*cough*

THe aim mechanics in UC2 is the main reason it still shits on UC3 imo, weapons in UC3 are no where to be as close to balanced as UC2 was and stopping power, while some has been added from the subway beta, is pretty much non existant.

The health might be considered bad to people in UC2 but compared to all the problems in UC3 that health is nothing.

And yes I still like UC3

I actually prefer U2 in most areas. The movement, the weapons, the graphics, and maps (compared to U3's unique maps, obviously) are all so much better in U2. I also liked having weapons scattered around the maps and everybody starting with the same weapons.

The health is just a deal breaker for me.

Xdye7

The movement, the graphics, and maps

sogood.gif

I notice how bad these are in U3 every time I play. It's so disappointing.

The non-sprinting animation with your long gun out in U3 is awful. It looks like the characters right arm is broken or something. It juts out so far and awkwardly. It's really noticeable with Cutter because his arm is so thick. All they need to do is tuck it in closer to the torso, just like in U2.

In U2 it was amazing. Fluid, smooth, and the way the characters head turned while running around just added life into the game.

---

I hate the way the guns shoot in U3. It's just a headache to look at. Your FOV is rocking all over the place with every gun but the M9 now. U2's spreading crosshairs were much better.

The recoil animation on the dragon needs to gtfo. Just make it go a little up to the final position instead of through the roof and back down. Make it similar to U2 I guess.

iLLmAtlc

Hey guys what new item does Flynn have? I tried to check it out a few weeks ago but it kept telling me I needed to purchase him again and when I went to activate it it wouldn't let me.

gibration

I remember I used the sniper in U2 all the time and now I hardly even touch it. How the scope enables automatically after aiming really threw me off. Guessing they did that to balance the game a bit more?

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
Stage 4 DLC:

Buy Yemen, Museum, Chateau, Desert Village, Facility, Airstrip, London Underground, Molten Ruin, High Rise, Syria, Airtrip No Intro, London Underground No Intro, and City of Brass for $0.99!! They're already available right from the start when you connect to the multiplayer the first time, but fuck it!

Duffyside

Banned

Let me tell you guys:

Inflated stats? What? How does that work?

hao chi

Inflated stats? What? How does that work?

For the longest time you could just quit when you were having a bad game and not get credit for anything that happened in the match, including kills, deaths, or even a loss.

I don't know about everybody else in his party, but FAB is also known for camping with a party in TDM quite a bit, so he'll end up with stats that don't exactly represent his skill level.

Top Bottom