• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 3 |OT| All Developers Dream, But Not Equally

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Loudninja said:
Didn't he already explain this to you?

Isn't that what I just said in my post? I was clarifying for someone who either didn't see it or didn't interpret it that way.

You don't need to get involved, I wasn't attacking your precious game.

Loudninja

hey_it's_that_dog said:
Isn't that what I just said in my post? I was clarifying for someone who either didn't see it or didn't interpret it that way.

You don't need to get involved, I wasn't attacking your precious game.
Hey sorry dude I fail at reading. :)

Shtof said:
And they thought the Eurogamer review was controversial...

AVClub review.

Same dude gave Uncharted 2 an A.

I disagree with his main thesis (that the play mechanics in U2 were already outdated, and that its saving grace was the story... enough to make it an A "despite" the gameplay). Therefore I have difficulty finding his Uncharted 3 review useful, since our starting points are so far apart.

I do sometimes wonder how perspectives can be SO different. I've never understood criticisms of Uncharted's shooting as being unpolished or clunky or whatever. To me they're solid and standard cover mechanics, no worse or better than (say) Gears', and the vertical level design, plus a few of the set pieces, in Uncharted 2 raised them to a higher level still.

The "too linear" complaint I understand, if you're just not into that sort of design, even though Uncharted 1 & 2 are nowhere near the biggest offenders in the genre. But the "gunplay sucks" complaint I just don't get. It is a damn smooth-playing single-player game.

spidye

hey_it's_that_dog said:
How often are we talking about? Like all the time, or during certain areas, or just intermittent drops or what?
there's definitely much more stuttering than u2 but it's not that bad. most of the time it's fluid 30 fps

Dr. Malik

FlatAss_
Shtof said:
And they thought the Eurogamer review was controversial...

AVClub review.

I agree with these two points

Yet these moments somehow always feel shoehorned into the experience, as if developer Naughty Dog concocted them in advance, then built the rest of the game around them.
Gamers felt like they knew Nathan Drake at the end of Uncharted 2, at least a little. But by the closing moments of Uncharted 3, after spending 12 or so hours in his shoes, players somehow wind up knowing even less about him than they did at the game’s beginning.

but not with the gameplay criticism, since that I enjoyed

Ricky_R

I don't know. I think I'm blessed in a way that I hardly find any issues with games unless they are huge problems like broken gameplay or ridiculously bad controls, etc.

I never tend to be annoyed or distracted by pace or when they change aiming speed, recoils, etc. When I play Uncharted games, for example, I never feel there's something bothering me when it comes to melee, story, platforming, level design, etc. even if some of them are bad for many.

I just seem to be the opposite to over critical. Maybe I'm blessed in a way because that makes me enjoy games more. I also tend to adapt quite easily to changes without comparing them.

Just a thought. I'm sure there are many like me.

VanWinkle

There seems to be a few people who aren't hugely impressed with the game, but at least they didn't pull a Jak 3. (Heck, or a Jak 2.)

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
LeonSKennedy90 said:
What!? Calling Gamestop right now, save me some money

Yeah go ahead. Miss out on one of the best games this year.

I know you're joking ...... hopefully

jett

D-Member
Lion Heart said:
So jett, is the pacing problematic because its not like U2? I would hope ND changed the flow of the game fromits predecessor just so the game has its own feel and not part of a formula. From what I've read it sounds like that's the case.

Well I don't want to give much away, but it's like those misguided complaints about Uncharted 2 that there's too much globetrotting and that it's all over the map, only this time they're true! :p So yes, it's not like Uncharted 2. In UC2 there's a distinct feeling that you're always going forward once you reach Nepal in chapter 5. In UC3 more than forward you're moving sideways, the game teleports you from location to location with its cut-scene swipes, the sense of progress is different yeah. It's that and the game starts at very slowly for the first few hours, and then ramps up like crazy and doesn't let go until the end. I just don't think it flows as nicely as UC2.

If you notice, every time I complain about something in UC3 I bring up UC2. UC3 is good on its own right, but inevitably for me the yardstick is its prequel.

arne

The_Monk said:
Thanks for answering.

I'm a little worried because I played the US version of the Uncharted 3 Subway promo but I'll be getting the EU/PAL version of the game and I'm hoping that, when I boot up UC3 my levels/stats/unlocks to be all there.

I really hope for them to be there, I'm worried. =/

you should be okay - your online profile is your online profile. it's saved on our servers. i know we do have two different SKU numbers on the backend, but i don't see or think we'd save your online profile as specific to that sku.

WrathOfOtaibah said:

whaaat? damn. scratching my head because Scott said our MP beta in the reviewsontherun.com review was one of the best he'd seen or something very similar to that, but the site's been updated and now that's gone.

M.W.

upJTboogie said:
Really sounds like this was rushed, I'm glad I'm waiting for a lower price, or hopefully Gamefly can send it tomorrow.

What are you talking about? Have you seen the reviews for this? F*cking hell, people are spoiled.

Marcellus Wallace said:
What are you talking about? Have you seen the reviews for this? F*cking christ people are spoiled.
I'm sure the SP is great, but this game should have had more time based on how many things that were in the last game that is gone from this one that couldn't be implemented in time.

WrathOfOtaibah said:
I forgot, how long was Uncharted 2 again? Uncharted 3 felt shorter.
9 - 10 hrs.

Penguin

jett said:
Well I don't want to give much away, but it's like those misguided complaints about Uncharted 2 that there's too much globetrotting and that it's all over the map, only this time they're true! :p So yes, it's not like Uncharted 2. In UC2 there's a distinct feeling that you're always going forward once you reach Nepal in chapter 5. In UC3 more than forward you're moving sideways, the game teleports you from location to location with its cut-scene swipes, the sense of progress is different yeah. It's that and the game starts at very slowly for the first few hours, and then ramps up like crazy and doesn't let go until the end. I just don't think it flows as nicely as UC2.

If you notice, every time I complain about something in UC3 I bring up UC2. UC3 is good on its own right, but inevitably for me the yardstick is its prequel.

I think we're in agreement here.

I think the game's first 3 acts are really a slow burn. And then you'll do... the search.. then it picks up.. then it REALLY picks up and then it never really stumbles aside from chapter 18 for me personally. I seem to be in the minority with that sequence.

sephi22

I platinum'ed Dark Souls last night, and I keep thinking what game to play.
I keep forgetting I own Uncharted 3.

This is coming from someone who finished UC2 thrice. I left playing UC3 at Chapter 6. Granted, that's early but still, the story hasn't hooked me yet. Its preposterous to make statements like this right now, but i don't think this could be my GOTY from what I've experienced till now.

So it was longer.

Ah well, Uncharted 3 is on the same level in my opinion. There's things I prefer in 2 and things I prefer in 3. Can't wait for Uncharted 4(if it happens). Also its pretty weird that I'm already very familiar with the legend of "Atlantis Of The Sands", the King Soloman story mostly.

jett

D-Member
Wow there's a guy that's already level 70 in multiplayer...what's up with that. :p

edit: I'm not sure if I'm leveling up quicker than in the subway beta tbh...so i edited my post.

DevelopmentArrested said:
Probably a dumb question but i can't remember from Uncharted 2.

Does changing the difficulty just affect the gun fights? The puzzles, platforming aint any easier right?
AI enemies take more bullets and are more aggressive. Nate has less health. Puzzles and platforming stays the same.

Some areas spawned more enemies like the trainyard.

Very easy has auto aim and enemies tend to be more accurate on harder levels.

Eliciel

one person in the comment section sums it up:

"I was willing to hear him out, until he said Uncharted 2 was "forgiven" because of its good narrative.

All I can say is,

WHAT"

This statement is soo..sooo awful. I'm not willing to take someones review serious who can possibly call Uncharted 2 gameplay "dated". Uncharted 2 took a good working gameplay concept and polished it to near perfection.

Criticism is the one thing, but to evaluate something in such a groundless way is just awful. I would suggest the author to give us some ideas how to improve the "broken gameplay". Maybe all of us can learn something from the best gameplay designer the industry has to offer!

If I were ND I would take this passage as a personal insult:

"Much would be forgiven if the gameplay weren’t so woefully faulty. Creeping up on a goon for a stealth kill can result in Drake inadvertently performing a somersault—ta-dah!—into the goon’s backside. Drake moves like a staggering stew-bum, and as a result, cheap, undeserved deaths abound. The fuzzy mechanics also hamper the game’s superfluous multiplayer, which gamers will likely flock to for a few nights before returning to the more reliable confines of Black Ops and Halo"

This review is just a big provoking mockery...and he gets his attention ;)

And please don't compare this review to Eurogamer review...the Eurogamer review is just so much more accurately written than this. There is much more reasonable criticism to it than A.V. Club unsuccessfully tries to reach.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
jett said:
Wow there's a guy that's already level 70 in multiplayer...what's up with that. :p

edit: I'm not sure if I'm leveling up quicker than in the subway beta tbh...so i edited my post.
It's been up for a couple of days now. I saw a level 45 in my first game on Thursday. I'm guessing some people just skipped SP, headed straight into multi, and have been playing non stop since then.

marathonfool said:
AI enemies take more bullets and are more aggressive. Nate has less health. Puzzles and platforming stays the same.

Some areas spawned more enemies like the trainyard.

Very easy has auto aim and enemies tend to be more accurate on harder levels.
thanks man

krioto

If we've learnt anything from this thread, and I think we have, it is this:

'Opinions are like assholes. Everybody's got one and everyone thinks everyone else's stinks'

jett

D-Member
Killthee said:
It's been up for a couple of days now. I saw a level 45 in my first game on Thursday. I'm guessing some people just skipped SP, headed straight into multi, and have been playing non stop since then.

Checked the stats of the L70 guy, he only has like 2 million XP. People are going to level up really quickly in this game, reaching L70 is nothing like reaching the same level in UC2, which requires several dozens of millions.

Eliciel

LeonSKennedy90 said:
"staggering stew-bum" is a pretty funny remark, you gotta admit. Drake does some funny animations in these guys sometimes

ok let's say it's a funny remark. Nothing less and nothing more. It doesn't excuse the general insult.

Btw some interesting findings:

Borderlands 33% (meta 83%)
Lara Croft (GOL) 42% (meta 85%)
Mass Effect 67% (meta 91%)
Uncharted 1 67% (meta 88%)
Street Fighter IV 67% (meta 93%)
Bayonetta 67% (meta 90%)

;) Final Judgement Mass Effect: " A space opera with huge potential ends in a shrug."

Juice

Is UC2's multiplayer completely dead? Last night and today not a single playlist could form a game. Was hoping to play to get pumped for 3 :-(

Ricky_R said:
Not even your 5/10 will make me cringe AV Club...

It's amazing that people will allow a random guy with a keyboard who writes a few whiny paragraphs to control their subjective, personal feelings about an entertainment product that they are interested in, despite having already heard several positive impressions.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Drake moves like a staggering stew-bum, and as a result, cheap, undeserved deaths abound. The fuzzy mechanics also hamper the game’s superfluous multiplayer, which gamers will likely flock to for a few nights before returning to the more reliable confines of Black Ops and Halo.
Wow.

Ricky_R

BoobPhysics101 said:
It's amazing that people will allow a random guy with a keyboard who writes a few whiny paragraphs to control their subjective, personal feelings about an entertainment product that they are interested in, despite having already heard several positive impressions.

It does nothing to me if you were insinuating that. It was more of a joke post.

LeonSKennedy90 said:
Metacritic down to 93 now? Where is Marius

We need the cheerleaders gif, but with them crying desperately.

Eliciel

krioto said:
If we've learnt anything from this thread, and I think we have, it is this:

'Opinions are like assholes. Everybody's got one and everyone thinks everyone else's stinks'

krioto, the problem with your statement is that you don't get the problem. Pranay sums it up:

Pranay_ said:
Sadly that review went into metacritic

http://www.metacritic.com/publication/the-av-club?filter=games

5/10

This is wierd :|

and it was a small review as well

Problem is, that it is a small review from someone on the webs and he gets attention by mocking a generally entertaining game with some far fetched "observations".

I already regret that I started talking about it, but some things need to be said...
In the end BoobPhysics is right and that's why I won't comment on this anymore:

BoobPhysics101 said:

Although my personal feelings weren't controlled by anyone ;) And despite reading it I'll keep playing ;)

Top Bottom