• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 3 |OT| All Developers Dream, But Not Equally

Irish

Raonak said:
Games tend to amaze me more than other media. or the amazing moments are more memorable.

I'm pretty much the same way. I don't know what I would do with myself if I were like the rest of GAF where everything is either a meh or average. To me, damn near everything is the greatest thing ever and I'm fine with that. I'm an enthusiast. I don't see anything wrong with enjoying 95% of the stuff that is out there. I personally believe that is better than hating everything and only enjoying something once in a blue moon.

cajunator

Banned
Raonak said:
Games tend to amaze me more than other media. or the amazing moments are more memorable.
MGS4 had a lot of amazing moments. U2's train. dat technology. im still trying to figure out how they're doing it. Just cause 2, when i realised how huge the map is. R3's widowmaker stampeed. also heavy rain when the killer was revealed (totally suspected someone else because someone "spoiled" it.) thats all the recent ones.
Oh the train was really fun, don't get me wrong. but amazing? Maybe the part where Drake takes down the helicopter. but other than that it was standard fare.

KAL2006

Banned
JohngPR said:
Especially when the summer Beta had it implemented. It was pretty cool because I could play with my son and we can both accrue our own EXP. :(

I did not know they took that feature out, that's so weird because ND themselves have taunted this as a cool feature for the game

jett

D-Member
So...what the hell happened to alleged super secret co-op mode? Just a bunch of bullshit?

KAL2006 said:
I did not know they took that feature out, that's so weird because ND themselves have taunted this as a cool feature for the game

Yeah you still can't sign-in a second account in retail multiplayer(despite arne saying it is implemented)...I really don't know what's up with that. I'm starting to feel ND shipped out the wrong build.

Defunkled

GDJustin said:
I was the one that posted several pages back that U3 might objectively be an equal or better than U2, but it won't have the same impact on people.

U2 was a HUGE leap over the original, and U3 isn't a huge leap over U2.

It's cinematic. ND has an incredible attention to detail. It's an AWESOME game with great writing. It takes you on an adventure.

But just expect something that feels like U2... not more. ND didn't "outdo" themselves. They matched themselves.

This is one of the few level-headed posts in this thread.

jett said:
So...what the hell happened to alleged super secret co-op mode? Just a bunch of bullshit?

Yeah you still can't sign-in a second account in retail multiplayer(despite arne saying it is implemented)...I really don't know what's up with that. I'm starting to feel ND shipped out the wrong build.
Yea I remember a review saying there's some sort of survival funhouse clown killing type shit.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
arne said:
whaaat? damn. scratching my head because Scott said our MP beta in the reviewsontherun.com review was one of the best he'd seen or something very similar to that, but the site's been updated and now that's gone.

Just because a site gives a game a good preview doesn't mean it'll give it a good review :/

rhino4evr

sephi22 said:
Nope. C means average. A few years ago, average meant a 5. 6 meant 'good but flawed'. 7 meant 'good'. 8 meant 'great'. And 9 meant 'Buy this now'. 9s were rare enough and in the rare chance a game got a 10, it meant its one of the best games on that console.

However, in the last few years fanboy tantrums and pressure from publishers has made the enthusiast press give out 8s and 9s and 10s left and right, leading to 7 becoming the new average score.
I was thinking like 70% is a C.

Just finished it. Best game I've played this year besides Dark Souls. Is it better than U2? Does it fucking matter? U2 is a classic, it's very rare for a game to just click on all levels like that, and the fact that U3 reaches those same lofty heights is good enough for me. I had a big grin on my face during the whole second act. Whoever thinks this game was rushed is crazy.

VariantX04

Loser slave of the system :(
Just finished the game. Fantastic. Great puzzles, fun dialogue, nonstop action. This is the closest we'll ever get to a good Uncharted movie.

Huggy

Just finished it on Normal. Don't think I'll beat Crushing this time, the game is really hard.
I got bumrushed a lot or got killed by surprise explosives. Enemies tend not to flinch anymore when hit.

It's a shame they implemented aiming assist for this one with no way of turning it off. This didn't make the game any easier for me. I like to lead targets without being interrupted.

The game glitched out a few times making me restart from a checkpoint. Also got trouble with dodging sniper fire and taking cover getting mixed up. And sometimes I didn't know what to do next, it just wasn't that clear.

With the last two chapters being a complete deja vu, it's fun but it's no Uncharted 2.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
jett said:
haha yes good times wario. funny that random matchmaking paired us up. We only missed chapter 3 of co-op!

Ahh, I thought you joined my party from the friends list, hah. What luck

Loudninja said:
Hmm is it t what we have been talking about?

Not the secret co-op mode but still awesome, took me off guard

Huggy said:
Just finished it on Normal. Don't think I'll beat Crushing this time, the game is really hard.
I got bumrushed a lot or got killed by surprise explosives. Enemies tend not to flinch anymore when hit.

It's a shame they implemented aiming assist for this one with no way of turning it off. This didn't make the game any easier for me. I like to lead targets without being interrupted.

The game glitched out a few times making me restart from a checkpoint. Also got trouble with dodging sniper fire and taking cover getting mixed up. And sometimes I didn't know what to do next, it just wasn't that clear.

With the last two chapters being a complete deja vu, it's fun but it's no Uncharted 2.
Aim assist. Am I a moron I could have swore the game had almost none. In fact that is what took a while for me to get used to

BruceLeeRoy said:
Aim assist. Am I a moron I could have swore the game had almost none. In fact that is what took a while for me to get used to
When I played it on Hard I didn't notice any aim assist at all. Is it there only on lower difficulties?

AgentWhiskers said:
Just finished the game. Fantastic. Great puzzles, fun dialogue, nonstop action. This is the closest we'll ever get to a good Uncharted movie.

Agreed. I just finished the game myself. Its a good ride. People need to stop worrying.

jett

D-Member
Playing co-op made me realize something. Multiplayer has better controls and shooting mechanics than single-player. Real talk.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
jett said:
Playing co-op made me realize something. Multiplayer has better controls and shooting mechanics than single-player. Real talk.
After reading discussions in the MP thread this is a bit odd coming from you Jett

jett said:
Jett your a sweet dude.

Uncharted even on the hard setting is only difficult if you don't do a good job switching between gunplay and melee. Nothing has ever been as hard as UC1 on crushing. Especially the damn sewers.

jett said:
I need some good co-op partners. I suck at mp but I thrive in co-op; I just beat Facility on Hard with a couple of guys, but it's been pretty hard to find games. I guess that's to be expected.

Concerning the shooting mechanics, you might be right. I don't know if it's due to the controls, or different enemy movement, but it was easier to pick off baddies in co-op. In fact, I believe it is the enemy movement, because in co-op they basically come straight at you. In sp those fuckers dip and dodge, and will flank the shit outta you, making them much harder targets.

Diablos

Question for all of you fretting over the almighty metacritic:

When you have this game in your hand, put it in your PS3 and start playing it... are you going to let its slightly lower than expected average score on metacritic take away from your own personal experience? It's still doing quite well, in the 90's, and I would expect it to stay that way.

jett

D-Member
EloquentM said:
After reading discussions in the MP thread this is a bit odd coming from you Jett

After all the patching ND made and the discovery of the M9 I came around to the multiplayer. It's definitely great at the moment. It's good fun.

jett said:
That ship has sailed.

vRCeg.gif

Fuck... What a great vid. Makes me upset again that retail isn't going to be like the summer beta.

I was one of the biggest babies in the subway thread and that video doesn't make me feel guilty about that.

Zoibie

The hitboxes in the Subway beta feel really off too. Maybe I've just been playing in some bad games but it's really frustrating when you think you should be hitting a guy and only around half the shots register. For me that's the biggest draws of blindfire + mellee.

Top Bottom