• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 3 |OT| All Developers Dream, But Not Equally

I really hope ND adds more to the co-op campaign; I haven't played any of it, but the sound of a cooperative campaign with RPG elements sounds too ridiculously fun for me not to want more, more, more.

Loudninja

perineumlick said:
I need some good co-op partners. I suck at mp but I thrive in co-op; I just beat Facility on Hard with a couple of guys, but it's been pretty hard to find games. I guess that's to be expected.

Concerning the shooting mechanics, you might be right. I don't know if it's due to the controls, or different enemy movement, but it was easier to pick off baddies in co-op. In fact, I believe it is the enemy movement, because in co-op they basically come straight at you. In sp those fuckers dip and dodge, and will flank the shit outta you, making them much harder targets.
Isnt that a good thing though? people said UC2 was easy.

Not sure about any of you, but I'd take a delay with core members working on bettering the mp over a seperate, dedicated team fucking it up and rushing to get a subway demo out. (in retrospect, not something I want to see happen now in case someone thinks I'm that crazy)

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
BruceLeeRoy said:
Aim assist. Am I a moron I could have swore the game had almost none. In fact that is what took a while for me to get used to
UC2 had more and more aim assist the lower difficulty you selected. I'm pretty sure it had a bit of it on normal, and none on hard.

brandonh83 said:
Oh wow. These are problems that I suppose I had subconsciously, if that makes sense. I'm not that big of a MP player so I'm not very educated on the design of MP modes, but while trying to play it I did pick up on these things, I just wasn't sure if they were design problems or just me sucking.
Maybe it is by design because, afterall, it is shipping with a Starhawk beta and you can't have 2 good mps with one game... One had to suffer haha.

darkwing said:
I agree, UC2 was pretty easy, it was basically a joyride
I think it's a good thing. You are really under the gun in U3; in U2 I had a pretty easy time of it, like a shooting gallery. Here you really have to have your wits about you; no sitting behind cover spamming headshots. When you aim at the enemy they make subtle strafing movements and start ducking; you have to lead your shots more this time. When they charge you they don't come headfirst; they run around you and try to hit you from the sides and behind. And towards the end, forget about it. Good luck guys!

arne

MoonsaultSlayer said:
Not sure about any of you, but I'd take a delay with core members working on bettering the mp over a seperate, dedicated team fucking it up and rushing to get a subway demo out. (in retrospect, not something I want to see happen now in case someone thinks I'm that crazy)

how was the subway promotion rushed out? the game was complete by the time we had to submit the subway MP to post on PSN.

Loudninja

GraveRobberX said:
OK someone please .gif the part of the running from Summer and Subway Beta

Look at how slow and it took time to get and then look at Subway Beta, it almost like they're Snaking Mario Kart style in this Beta
Because people complain the speed of the sprint.

perineumlick said:
I think it's a good thing. You are really under the gun in U3; in U2 I had a pretty easy time of it, like a shooting gallery. Here you really have to have your wits about you; no sitting behind cover spamming headshots. When you aim at the enemy they make subtle strafing movements and start ducking; you have to lead your shots more this time. When they charge you they don't come headfirst; they run around you and try to hit you from the sides and behind. And towards the end, forget about it. Good luck guys!
Sounds good to me!

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Pretty nice to see some of the impressions (from jett mostly) that put some water on the hype fire, without feeling terribly trollish or anything. It's not a good thing going into a game in a super hype mode and then feel disappointed, more realistic expectations are always welcome.

Love that Bruce confirmed puzzles are much better than in other two games. If there was one area where I wanted improvements to be made, that was it.

Has anyone commented yet about the quality of video encoding? Jett, I remember you were quite critical about UC2 video quality, so you're probably the best to answer this.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
They can increase the speed all they want, but they need to take away mobility (think how Gears sends you into tunnel-vision mode). It would fix a large portion of the blindfire/melee shit that's going on.

Massa

Well, for what it's worth it I think the game plays amazingly well right now, better than any previous Uncharted multiplayer. I just got BF3 and yet I'm still sad I'll have to go without Uncharted from Tuesday to Friday.

darkwing

upJTboogie said:
I still can't believe this happened. I'll never understand why they keep making drastic changes to things people like, the beta had mostly praise yet we get a product like the Subway beta. Unless everyone hated the summer beta on the ND forums I can't understand how we arrived at this.
you are not going to please everyone, yup ND forums

Massa

Irish said:
At night, I live in a fantasy land where all we do all day is play UC2 1.04 and rejoice. Then I wake up. :|

1.04 was far from perfect, people just forgot about most of its problems after 1.05 hit.

darkwing said:
you are not going to please everyone, yup ND forums
I would really like to find the official beta thread and see what the response was. I'll be very surprised if they felt that different from Gaf about the summer beta that these changes (for the worse imo) had to happen.

jett

D-Member
Massa said:
1.04 was far from perfect, people just forgot about most of its problems after 1.05 hit.

The same people that complain about 1.05 are the same that kept going on and on...and on like a broken record about "curving bullets" and super grenades pre-1.05.

Irish

People complaining about super grenades were dumb in the first place. Plus, DtI did result in Bullseye-styled bullshit bullets.

Still, I'd take that back in a heartbeat.

and jett mad. :D

arne

alr1ghtstart said:
They can increase the speed all they want, but they need to take away mobility (think how Gears sends you into tunnel-vision mode). It would fix a large portion of the blindfire/melee shit that's going on.

We did that. I'll have something up tomorrow on the naughty dog blog that looks into some of this. one of our designers was gracious enough to recap the difference and updates we made while I was in europe for me to share.

Just finished the video, agree with 95% of it, it shouldn't be so easy to zig zag and melee, blindfire accuracy needs to be reduced all of that. Except sprint shouldn't be exactly like how it was in the beta it should have some maneuverability, but not so useful it gets abused.

Loudninja said:
People don't seem to remember anything they complain about.
This doesn't make any sense, I'm sure individuals can remember what they liked and didn't like, your just generalizing everyone.

jett

D-Member
Irish: I do get a little mad when some people endlessly lay the blame somewhere else when they get killed. :p

arne said:
We did that. I'll have something up tomorrow on the naughty dog blog that looks into some of this. one of our designers was gracious enough to recap the difference and updates we made while I was in europe for me to share.

Hey arne, is signing in a second account coming in a day-1 patch?

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Watch the second video they have as well. I agree 100% with their thoughts on the powerplays and the sniping, which I don't know why they changed with the slow sticky aiming near people. I really hope that gets removed.

darkwing

arne said:
this is nice, hopefully this will do something about the endless complaints

I also feel like the MP is playing great now. Not perfect, but great.

Blindfire has been gimped to satisfactory levels. You will get killed by it from time to time and you will use it from time to time, but it's no longer a really viable strategy for people to just do nothing but run and blindfire. Well, unless they are on small crappy maps like desert village. So really the problem seems to be more with the map design of certain levels than the mechanic itself.

I find that the multiplayer really works best in big, open maps with lots of draw distance. IMO Airstrip (sans the plane sequence) is the best designed map in the entire game. Just throwing this out there in case new map-packs are in the works... we want more big maps with lots of draw distance like Airstrip and no more maps with too many small clusterfuck areas.

Loudninja

upJTboogie said:
Just finished the video, agree with 95% of it, it shouldn't be so easy to zig zag and melee, blindfire accuracy needs to be reduced all of that. Except sprint shouldn't be exactly like how it was in the beta it should have some maneuverability, but not so useful it gets abused.

This doesn't make any sense, I'm sure individuals can remember what they liked and didn't like, your just generalizing everyone.
Sorry its just annoying you know? Its not possible to please everyone no matter what you do.

-Cwalat-

@ Arne

Hey, I got a question. Who would you like to see in a potential Uncharted movie?

(apart from the obvious choice Nolan North)

I personally, think Joe Flanigan resembles Nathan Drake quite a lot and would do a great role in that movie.

Loudninja said:
Sorry its just annoying you know? Its not possible to please everyone no matter what you do.
But you can try and please the majority by tweaking what you already have instead of making drastic changes.

Irish

jett said:
Irish: I do get a little mad when some people endlessly lay the blame somewhere else when they get killed. :p

Whoa whoa whoa. I'm not Somnium now, dog gone it. Down the Irons was just insane. Didn't mind any of my other deaths.

___

Man, I'm so jealous of all of you who have the game already. I really want to experience this already.

jett

D-Member
Irish said:
Whoa whoa whoa. I'm not Somnium now, dog gone it. Down the Irons was just insane. Didn't mind any of my other deaths.

___

Man, I'm so jealous of all of you who have the game already. I really want to experience this already.

LOL I didn't mean you specifically.

Loudninja

upJTboogie said:
But you can try and please the majority by tweaking what you already have instead of making drastic changes.
See thats the thing you assumed you know what the majority want.

I dont know many people have play this beta all kinds of feedback shapes the game not just yours or mine.

kuYuri

Does switching shoulders while aiming not work? I'm aiming with L1 and clicking L3 like it says in manual and nothing happens. Am I missing something?

EDIT: Never mind, apparently it's disabled by default in options, wtf, why would that be an option?

Loudninja

Strider2K99 said:
Does switching shoulders while aiming not work? I'm aiming with L1 and clicking L3 like it says in manual and nothing happens. Am I missing something?
You have to turn it on in the options menu. :)

Strider2K99 said:

EDIT: Never mind, apparently it's disabled by default in options, wtf, why would that be an option?
Yeah I found that out too. I thought they had taken it out; played through the whole game without it.

Loudninja said:
See thats the thing you assumed you know what the majority want.

I dont know many people have play this beta all kinds of feedback shapes the game not just yours or mine.
I really can't see why anyone would want to feel like they're playing a different game in the demo from what they played in the beta, because that's how Subway feels compared to the summer.

darkwing

Strider2K99 said:

because L3 is sprint by default

Sprint needed to be killed, not adjusted.

It's the main source of all the current blindfire problems. Blindfirers would have no advantage if they couldn't sprint, zig-zagging through your bullets.

Irish said:
At night, I live in a fantasy land where all we do all day is play UC2 1.04 and rejoice. Then I wake up. :|

So do I... so do I.

The only problems with U2 pre-1.05, were boosters (all of them), spawns, and the FAL needed to be nerfed just a bit.

jett said:

I am never at fault when I am killed. It is always some outside force that is the end of me.

<_<

>_>

kuYuri

Just ran into the dumbest glitch. In chapter 19 when
Drake gets dragged over a wall and then faces a whole bunch of enemies including a sniper, than gets rescued by a bunch of guys on horseback. The main guy gets stuck in place. I see his horse galloping, but he never moves, thus the game can't progress.

Have to restart the chapter, hope it fixes it.

darkwing said:
because L3 is sprint by default

There's no sprinting in SP, they should at least have considered that.

KingK

I haven't played the Subway beta, but I did play the beta over the summer. While I'm not a fan of some of the big changes since UC2 (like weapon loadouts and further dependence on leveling up in general, plus kickbacks and stuff) I could live with it, and the beta was still a lot of fun once I got used to it. I still don't like that they added sprint, but I'm ok with it being just useful to get you to the other side of the map quickly, but not useful for killing people.

After watching that review video though, WTF did they do to the game? Now I see what all the bitching in the SUBWAY thread was about. That sprint and blindfire stuff looks ridiculously bad. I really hope they fix that, because Uncharted is one of my favorite multiplayer games.

Top Bottom