• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 3 reviews

Status
Not open for further replies.
Represent. said:
9.0 or 10 GAF will blow up either way

lol, pretty much.

And yeah I listened to the podcast. The animation in this game will be insane and wont be matched by any other game, period.

Edit: haha Im really looking forward to the reviews for this game, more so than I usually do. Probably because Uncharted 2 is one of my top 3 games this gen (and U1 was also amazing to me), and I really want to see if this game will surpass it. I know Zelda, Skyrim and Portal wont make it easy for U3 to make GOTY easy like 2009, but I have a good feeling. Im loving the multiplayer (though it could still be even better), I just need the confirmation on the single player.

nib95

Banned
I know a lot of you rag on IGN, but I still like em. There's a lot of questionable material (a lot of it from Hilary) at times, but what gaming outlet is without it? Listening to the pod casts etc gives you a good feel for the team and you can see they're just avid gamers doing what they love.

Luthos

It's not like I really need to know what reviews UC3 will get. It's easily a must buy.

But I like to see my favorite games get good scores and get a lot of positive attention. Therefore giving positive attention to the devs. And Naughty Gods are becoming my favorite dev, if not already.

Luthos said:
It's not like I really need to know what reviews UC3 will get. It's easily a must buy.

But I like to see my favorite games get good scores and get a lot of positive attention. Therefore giving positive attention to the devs. And Naughty Gods are becoming my favorite dev, if not already.

Truer words have never been said!

AniHawk

daxter01 said:
10 from IGN ? I dont think so

once the world gave gta iv a thousand tens, anything became possible.

edit: plus, ign's gone soft. excluding their handheld reviews, these are the 10s they've given out:

the legend of zelda: ocarina of time (n64) - 1998
soulcalibur - 1999
grand theft auto iv - 2008
metal gear solid 4 - 2008
pac-man championship edition - 2010
super mario galaxy 2 - 2010
red dead redemption: undead nightmare - 2010
chrono trigger (vc) - 2011

daxter01

8/8/2010 Blackace was here
AniHawk said:
once the world gave gta iv a thousand tens, anything became possible.
but gta iv had Oscar worthy story
edit: holy shit red dead redemption: undead nightmare got a 10 from them ?OK I think its possible

Glassboy

Manticore said:
Honestly I think it's a 10 from IGN, otherwise why would they bother teasing the review score during the podcast and in here.
This. Also, then they can write a article how uncharted 3 is better than mass effect 2.

GDJustin said:
I know what score IGN is giving Uncharted 3 :p

Greg was being straight on Game Scoop - there is no .5 on the end of the score.

10/10 confirmed! It's either that or a 9.0/10 - no way is it getting an 8.0/10.

So yeah...if that's true then be prepared for a 10/10 gentlemen! Awwww yeah!

BeeDog

I wonder if a 9.0/10 will cause meltdowns. I know I won't care, but it's always fun to see people bitch about certain publications, then do a complete 180 when said publication scores a game they anticipate in a way they like.

spats

BeeDog said:
I wonder if a 9.0/10 will cause meltdowns. I know I won't care, but it's always fun to see people bitch about certain publications, then do a completely 180 when said publication scores a game they anticipate in a way they like.

Almost certainly. Bannings, mass hysteria, countless bitter tears.

Its not going to get tens. its not a significant leap over uncharted 2. From what ive heard from people who have played it, its basically uncharted 2 again. And thats not bad now is it.

so its going to be getting 9+ scores rather than 9.5+ scores.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Shadow of the BEAST said:
Its not going to get tens. its not a significant leap over uncharted 2. From what ive heard from people who have played it, its basically uncharted 2 again. And thats not bad now is it.

You sound pretty confident!

Edit: and for the record I think this talk is silly. There would be meltdowns if Uncharted got, say, an 8 from IGN. But 8 means a game is "great." People need to chill out. There are great, GREAT films that get lots of 4/4 and 5/5 reviews, but there's always a handful of people that will ding a film and give it 3/4. And they aren't wrong. It's just their (slightly different) opinion.

Scores should be a range. Uncharted 3 will be in the upper, 8-10 range.

Yoboman

Based on the podcast, the IGN staff basically indicated that they felt the leap from UC2 to UC3 is as big as UC1 to UC2 was.

Yeah......the thing about that is that when a game is just so unbelievably good that rule kinda goes out the window. That’s what I’m expecting. Perfect scores are far from not happening.

nib95

Banned
Yoboman said:
Based on the podcast, the IGN staff basically indicated that they felt the leap from UC2 to UC3 is as big as UC1 to UC2 was.

That was only with respect to the graphics and tech though, which admittedly does play a huge role with the gameplay too, but yea, you never know, might be a different story gameplay wise. Not that it should matter. This is the third in what is essentially a pseudo trilogy, it's not supposed to re-invent the wheel.

Luthos

nib95 said:
That was only with respect to the graphics and tech though, which admittedly does play a huge role with the gameplay too, but yea, you never know, might be a different story gameplay wise. Not that it should matter. This is the third in what is essentially a pseudo trilogy, it's not supposed to re-invent the wheel.
Ehh they'd have to really screw something up to make the gameplay worse. But I say that as someone who really liked UC2's gameplay. (it's some of the best in 3rd person shooters, imo)

I mean more varied guns, more (contextual) animations for melee, etc.
And you can jump tackle dudes. Yea.

nib95

Banned
Luthos said:
Ehh they'd have to really screw something up to make the gameplay worse. But I say that as someone who really liked UC2's gameplay. (it's some of the best in 3rd person shooters, imo)

I mean more varied guns, more (contextual) animations for melee, etc.
And you can jump tackle dudes. Yea.

No doubt. Hey U2 is my GOTG and in my Top 5 of all time. So I'd rather they not re-invent anything. More of the same along with just a handful of surprises is all I'm after. I already like the refined melee system and the fact that they've beefed up AI and combat, especially with the weapon sounds.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I hope the writing is as dreadfully hilarious as his Dead Space 2 review so we can get some lulz.

Luthos

nib95 said:
No doubt. Hey U2 is my GOTG and in my Top 5 of all time. So I'd rather they not re-invent anything. More of the same along with just a handful of surprises is all I'm after. I already like the refined melee system and the fact that they've beefed up AI and combat, especially with the weapon sounds.
I'm right there with ya. UC2 is my GOTG as well. And I so agree with you on the weapon sounds. One of my few nitpicks of the second game (and first I guess) is how some weapons sound puny or just weird. Of what I've seen of UC3, they sound like they have more impact.

Man

nib95 said:
Uncharted 2 has two whole sets of different animations depending on which mode you're in. There's one set (which involves many animations in itself) for when you're relaxed and generally just exploring, and then another that's more tense and focused when you're in a gunfight or amidst action. Comparatively, Uncharted 3 has 4-5 of these entire animation sets in the desert levels for each of these modes. So that's like 10 entire animation sets that have God knows how many animations included (face arms, legs etc) just for Drake in the desert. Add to that, Drake has whole different animation sets for each level.[/B].
Geoff Keighly was similarly mind-blown on his twitter saying something like: 'Running animations will never be the same after November 1st.'

UC3 is going to be animatin gud.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
nib95 said:
I know a lot of you rag on IGN, but I still like em. There's a lot of questionable material (a lot of it from Hilary) at times, but what gaming outlet is without it? Listening to the pod casts etc gives you a good feel for the team and you can see they're just avid gamers doing what they love.
"gamers doing what they love" is, unfortunately, IGN in a nutshell

Yoboman

nib95 said:
They said in terms of narrative as well

i listen to a swedish podcast and i trust them more.

and they said it was basically more uncharted.

Incredible

So uncharted is more uncharted

Halo is more halo

Gears is more gears

and Rage is more doom

I dont know about you but I dont want them to reinvent the wheel, just improve upon what made U2 great, and make it even more spectacular...If they can achieve that, it will likely be my favorite game released this year

When the embargo is up a mod should change the title to “Official Uncharted 3 Reviews Thread”, and put in at the end “IGN – 10/10” (if that happens) and also update the OP. Or do you think someone should just make another thread?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom