• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 3 reviews

Status
Not open for further replies.

whalesaver

Neo Member
Y2Kev said:
I hope the writing is as dreadfully hilarious as his Dead Space 2 review so we can get some lulz.

Was it really dreadfully hilarious?

Or hilariously dreadful?

The irony is strong with this one.

Aguirre

Tricky I Shadow said:
Prediction time:

IGN: 10/10
Gamespot: 9.5/10
GameTrailers: 9.4/10
Eurogamer: 9/10
GameSpy: 5/5
GiantBomb: 5/5
1UP: A+

destructoid will give it a negative review for traffic

spats

Tricky I Shadow said:
Prediction time:

IGN: 10/10
Gamespot: 9.5/10
GameTrailers: 9.4/10
Eurogamer: 9/10
GameSpy: 5/5
GiantBomb: 5/5
1UP: A+

4/5 from Giant Bomb
8/10 from Eurogamer

not betting on the rest

Pranay

Tricky I Shadow said:
When the embargo is up a mod should change the title to “Official Uncharted 3 Reviews Thread”, and put in at the end “IGN – 10/10” (if that happens) and also update the OP. Or do you think someone should just make another thread?

I will make a new thread tommorow

Striek

UC2 is one of the best reviewed games of all time (deservedly). All indications are that UC3 is even better. I realllllllllllly doubt reviewers are so desperate for hits they'll slam UC3 for them.

CozMick

Banned
Eurogamer 8/10
Gametrailers 8.9
1-up A-
Giantbomb 5/5
IGN 9.0
OPM 10
Destructoid 8/10
Gamespot 9.5

I expect "unoriginal" to be spouted approximately 7 times within those reviews....

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Donny Hayabusa said:
So why do we know the EDGE score for Zelda but not for Uncharted 3?

Zelda is EDGE's cover game for the next issue, so they decided to couple that with a reveal of the score, and a new trailer at the Golden Joystick Awards. The issue goes on sale on the 25th, so we should know them all by then.

EatChildren said:
Zelda is EDGE's cover game for the next issue, so they decided to couple that with a reveal of the score, and a new trailer at the Golden Joystick Awards. The issue goes on sale on the 25th, so we should know them all by then.

Thanks for the info :)

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Unless there's something crippling wrong with the multiplayer or something, maybe the co-op, I don't expect Uncharted 3 to, at most places, score below 9/10. Even though it will be more of the same linear, scripted action Naughty Dog know their stuff, the game looks pretty, the story sounds interesting, and the set pieces will be epic. I expect the single player to be enough flash and bang to impress pretty much everyone reviewing the game.

Though there's always a chance the honeymoon period has worn off, and given that the jump between Uncharted 2 and 3 doesn't look as significant as Uncharted and Uncharted 2 this may cause a few score drops.

Either way I don't think anybody has anything to be worried about. Uncharted 3 is a big game, and will receive the same variety of reviews that Zelda, Battlefield 3, and every other major end of year title will. You'll have your hyperbolic 10/10 best game ever made crap, your whiny, bitchy rants from people who don't even like the series, and a couple of excellent, accurate and fair reviews that cover the pros and cons, that will be ignored by everyone.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
whalesaver said:
Was it really dreadfully hilarious?

Or hilariously dreadful?

The irony is strong with this one.
Ultimately both. It's like that prickly "deceptively" modifier.

Striek

EatChildren said:
Even though it will be more of the same linear, scripted action Naughty Dog know their stuff, the game looks pretty, the story sounds interesting, and the set pieces will be epic. I expect the single player to be enough flash and bang to impress pretty much everyone reviewing the game.
You phrase that with a certain disdain.

As far as I'm concerned Naughty Dog practically reinvented the genre with the way they marry top-class gameplay into their scripted sequences whilst having everything polished to 100% is the bonus.

Pranay

EatChildren said:
Unless there's something crippling wrong with the multiplayer or something, maybe the co-op, I don't expect Uncharted 3 to, at most places, score below 9/10. Even though it will be more of the same linear, scripted action Naughty Dog know their stuff, the game looks pretty, the story sounds interesting, and the set pieces will be epic. I expect the single player to be enough flash and bang to impress pretty much everyone reviewing the game.

Though there's always a chance the honeymoon period has worn off, and given that the jump between Uncharted 2 and 3 doesn't look as significant as Uncharted and Uncharted 2 this may cause a few score drops.

Either way I don't think anybody has anything to be worried about. Uncharted 3 is a big game, and will receive the same variety of reviews that Zelda, Battlefield 3, and every other major end of year title will. You'll have your hyperbolic 10/10 best game ever made crap, your whiny, bitchy rants from people who don't even like the series, and a couple of excellent, accurate and fair reviews that cover the pros and cons, that will be ignored by everyone.

How can you be so certain ?

KAL2006

Banned
I don't understand the complaints for the game being linear. Isn't that the whole point of the game, is to have great linear scripted sequences like a Hollywood action movie. Do people actually think it is possible to have a game as open as say Deus Ex, and have the amount of polish in the action. Also, I actually think a lot of the set pieces of the shoot outs are quite open, you get quite a few options of hjow you want to take the enemies out (stealth, from a far on a high platform, up close and etc).

EatChildren

Striek said:
You phrase that with a certain disdain.

I say it because its true, and sometimes people get tired of a series treading water. I don't think people will give a shit about that when it comes to Uncharted 3 though, because the game will be good regardless.

Pranay_ said:
How can you be so certain ?

I'm not, I just don't see Uncharted 3 as receiving negative reviews, based on the precedent set by Naughty Dog's quality, the hype machine surrounding the game, and the fact people generally enjoy the Uncharted series.

KAL2006 said:
I don't understand the complaints for the game being linear. Isn't that the whole point of the game, is to have great linear scripted sequences like a Hollywood action movie. Do people actually think it is possible to have a game as open as say Deus Ex, and have the amount of polish in the action. Also, I actually think a lot of the set pieces of the shoot outs are quite open, you get quite a few options of hjow you want to take the enemies out (stealth, from a far on a high platform, up close and etc).

Who said it was a complaint?

Striek

EatChildren said:
I say it because its true, and sometimes people get tired of a series treading water. I don't think people will give a shit about that when it comes to Uncharted 3 though, because the game will be good regardless.
But UC1 to UC2 had many, many improvements. More than most sequels. And UC3 is only the third game and will no doubt itself have many improvements... sometimes I struggle to understand just what some people actually expect from games. I reallllly doubt you can justify saying that UC3 is treading water.

Pranay

EatChildren said:
I'm not, I just don't see Uncharted 3 as receiving negative reviews, based on the precedent set by Naughty Dog's quality, the hype machine surrounding the game, and the fact people generally enjoy the Uncharted series.

What i mean to say was UC 3 can be a game with more exploration and better puzzles ?

Uc 2 was a huge improvment as compared to 1, why cant uc3 be ?

ND them selves admitted, game had to much shooting and very easy puzzles which they wish to improve in the 3rd game along with a better melee system and with more dynamic AI

EatChildren

Striek said:
But UC1 to UC2 had many, many improvements. More than most sequels. And UC3 is only the third game and will no doubt itself have many improvements... sometimes I struggle to understand just what some people actually expect from games. I reallllly doubt you can justify saying that UC3 is treading water.

I can only base my expectations off the same media you and everyone else on this forum has seen, and in my opinion Uncharted 3 does not appear to be the mechanical and presentation leap over Uncharted 2 as that game was to the original, because I personally believe Naughty Dog found their footing with the sequel and don't need to significantly evolve the mechanics for the third outing.

Sometimes people don't like this, and they complain about it, hence my suggestion some reviews may complain about it being more of the same. I never said this was a good or bad thing for the series, just that this is what might happen.

Pranay_ said:
What i mean to say was UC 3 can be a game with more exploration and better puzzles ?

ND them selves admitted, game had to much shooting and very easy puzzles which they wish to improve in the 3rd game along with a better melee system and with more dynamic AI

Maybe they'll do that and that would be great, and a nice step forward for the series over Uncharted 2. Like the rest of you I haven't played the game though, so I'll just have to wait and hope.

The OT should go up tomorrow when the embargo lifts - it comes out in France on the 28th!

Pranay_ said:
I will make a new thread tommorow

gha9D.jpg

Pranay_ said:
can anyone tell me the exact time of the embargo =) ?

28 hours and 15 minutes from now.

hamchan

I'll be saddened if there is less combat in this entry since I absolutely loved going through it on crushing and discovering how well they designed the levels to be stealthed.

KAL2006

Banned
Pranay_ said:

I think Uncharted 2 was near perfect, however I can admit 2 things could have been improved.
-Better melee
-Better puzzles

I'd also like to see the platforming section be combined with shootouts, we all know platforming sections are quite easy, but they could add to the difficulty by combining enemy encounters with it. What I mean by that is for example, you have to hang on platforms while shooting and covering from enemies. Or there is a chase sequence where you have to do platforming fast. Or you you have to platform to get a good strategy on how to get around an enemy.

IGN said:
As far as single-player games go they just don't get much more incredible than this. Uncharted 3, like its forebears, will no doubt be a poster child for modern video game storytelling.

That's some high praise!
10/10

Luthos

To those that say it's not as significant upgrade as 2 was to 1 graphically... I'm not sure about that.

The most recent patch of screens in this topic with all the magic improvements they put into a game in the final months... look really good.

I could argue that This from This from This are both equally impressive improvements.

deepbrown

Striek said:
UC2 is one of the best reviewed games of all time (deservedly). All indications are that UC3 is even better. I realllllllllllly doubt reviewers are so desperate for hits they'll slam UC3 for them.
Surprisingly Batman AC is now tied with UC2 with its metacritic score, behind only GTA4 (I won't even go there).

Some publications limit the amount of amazing scores they give out in a year - maybe they blew it all on BAC?

Pranay

Joke aside, I think the MP features of Uncharted 3 is fantastic. Some stuffs need a few tweaks and im glad they are doing it

deepbrown

KAL2006 said:
I think Uncharted 2 was near perfect, however I can admit 2 things could have been improved.
-Better melee
-Better puzzles

I'd also like to see the platforming section be combined with shootouts, we all know platforming sections are quite easy, but they could add to the difficulty by combining enemy encounters with it. What I mean by that is for example, you have to hang on platforms while shooting and covering from enemies. Or there is a chase sequence where you have to do platforming fast. Or you you have to platform to get a good strategy on how to get around an enemy.
They're doing that in UC3...

hamchan said:
I'll be saddened if there is less combat in this entry since I absolutely loved going through it on crushing and discovering how well they designed the levels to be stealthed.
I think the amount ofcombat will be the same, although probably a bit less shooting since we'll get more melee fighting

Jarmel

Banned
Striek said:

Well for me anyway I see nothing like the stealth implementation that they did in 2.

Luthos

deepbrown said:
Surprisingly Batman AC is now tied with UC2 with its metacritic score, behind only GTA4 (I won't even go there).

Some publications limit the amount of amazing scores they give out in a year - maybe they blew it all on BAC?
Would be a shame, considering how loaded the end of this year is.

KAL2006 said:
-Better melee
-Better puzzles

Like the truck sequence in among thieves, that was unbelivably awesome combination of shooting and platforming.

Luthos

Jarmel said:
BAC deserves it.
Erm, I didn't mean it like that. I've beaten and love BAC. But I mean it's a shame if some websites actually hold back giving lots of high scores so close together, since there are potentially many games coming out at the end of this year that could deserve high scores.

Jarmel said:
Well for me anyway I see nothing like the stealth implementation that they did in 2.
The stealth from uncharted 2 will still be there, the new melee system if good can be a very game changing addition.

Luthos said:
Erm, I didn't mean it like that. I've beaten and love BAC. But I mean it's a shame if some websites actually hold back giving lots of high scores so close together, since there are potentially many games coming out at the end of this year that could deserve high scores.

Is BAC significantly better than the first game? I enjoyed the first game, but I thought the combat became rather easy and repetitive by the end. Certainly I felt U2 was easily the more impressive experience when I played them consecutively.

Callibretto said:
The stealth from uncharted 2 will still be there, the new melee system if good can be a very game changing addition.

I hope its not like a lot of shooters where the melee mechanics becomes totally worthless on higher difficulties.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom