• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 3 reviews

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Cruzader said:
Im sure they had to do it in order to not break the "experience" and from you constantly dying from doing the wrong jumps or jumping a tad too late in a sequence thus making you fail, etc.

I dont get the "the devs basically give you fake freedom but shove you were you need to go" thing because thats what all linear games do and no ones is saying Uncharted is not linear. I guess my beef is they are pointing the obvious and jacking points for it.

Honestly ND have to learn from this experience as they are the only ones doing the type of Hollywood-esq sequences that go far and beyond your typical game. (animations of your character portraying correctly the actions that are supposed to occur)

We're used to being funneled into corridors but there's usually a....call it a sanctity of control. Maybe the game won't let us deviate from its path, but at least each time we hit a button we get the same result. A jump has consistent momentum and timing. In that sense we still have control over our avatar: even if we can't control where we go we can control how we get there.
It seems like Uncharted 3 is breaking that "barrier" that we're used to more then any other game before it, and people are noticing, and some people don't like it.

zoukka

nib95 said:
How does he (or you) know you can't explore U3's desert? Or that Zelda or Skyrim will have a desert you can explore?

Maybe they have a lot of educated guesses like you and all the other people in this thread complaining about reviews of games you haven't played?

Grinchy

Banned
Wow I don't pay any attention to reviews (which is why I'm just seeing this now) but that's a lot of 10/10 scores. I guess my plan to buy the game hasn't changed.

Tutomos

For those of you who follow college football, the Eurogamer review is the equivalent of saying Andrew Luck is not going to be great in the NFL. And if you are a Andrew Luck fan, this will piss you off.

xion4360

plagiarize said:
that doesn't invalidate the complaint though does it?

if someone thought U2 was too linear... if U3 is also too linear to their tastes they aren't allowed to say so? seriously?

Sure you can complain about it, but at the end of the day its like complaining that you hate blue and the sky has been blue all week.. at some point you just have to get over it. If its really something that you dislike I understand if its a point of contention after the first game, but this is uncharted 3. At this point you either like the formula or you dont.

Its just irritating to see the same discussion for the third time when you'd think people would know what they're getting by now.

Garjon

VIVIblkmgIc said:
That's not really true though. If you look at the train level in Uncharted 2, the whole thing was that you had to fight on that train, and traverse it without getting knocked off. That meant hanging from the side of it, getting on the roof, and getting in the cabins at different points. There are things that happen around the player to some degree, but usually the physics end up affecting the gameplay. I mean, the automic jumping is such a lazy critique. The game isn't a platformer, and the environmental challenges (like the train) don't have to do with precision jumps, so much as strategic positioning, and so forth. Many games use automatic jumping now based on animation---Assassin's Creed and Arkham City are two other examples.
The train does use these blatant trigger points though, such as the signals only appearing just as you move to the side/top of the train and the helicopter only destroying the carriages after giving you ample time to get to the next one. Though the sequence did annoy me most just before the tunnel; even though I made the jump to activate the cutscene, the helicopter just blew up the carriage that moment (while I had pretty much landed) yet the game sensed that I had yet to meet the trigger point on the next carriage and killed me anyway.

BeauRoger

Unconfirmed Member
I also think that the complaints posted by eurogamer seem a bit irrelevant..? I believe that a game should be scored based on what they are trying to achieve, and how close they came within the standards of that genre. To that of course, you can add innovation and other things that might elevate the experience. A perfect 10 should be rewarded to a game that cant reasonably be improved on in any meaningful way within the standards of what they are trying achieve and the standards of the genre. Of course words such as "meaningful" are highly vague and thats where the whole debate over subjective/objective comes in.

My point being that it seems unreasonable to criticise say a football game because you dont enjoy football, even if the game is a perfect simulation of the sport. So sure uncharted 3 "cheats" occasionally helping you along to maintain flow, and the game is very linear and scripted. But when did those things become bad? Sure, not being able to deviate from the path into other rooms or areas is a valid complaint, as is the helping along, but those seem to pale against the games as a whole where everything is tuned to perfection. IS that really the diffence between 8 and 10?

Tutomos said:
For those of you who follow college football, the Eurogamer review is the equivalent of saying Andrew Luck is not going to be great in the NFL. And if you are a Andrew Luck fan, this will piss you off.
it's not the same as that at all.

Andrew Luck will perform on the field in a much more measurable way, than Uncharted 3 will perform in differing peoples opinions. i don't know his position, but he will complete X number of passes. he will be intercepted X number of times. he will run X number or yards.

you can't do that with something like 'how fun will an individual find a video game', because someones performance on the football field is nothing like how fun people will find a video game.

StuBurns

Banned
xion4360 said:
Sure you can complain about it, but at the end of the day its like complaining that you hate blue and the sky has been blue all week.. at some point you just have to get over it. If its really something that you dislike I understand if its a point of contention after the first game, but this is uncharted 3. At this point you either like the formula or you dont.

Its just irritating to see the same discussion for the third time when you'd think people would know what they're getting by now.
Are you suggesting any reviewer who doesn't like a game they review should look for another profession?

Dr. Malik

FlatAss_
Dragon said:
I made the list!!

I made it twice

tumblr_lqdezq8Dm91qen7ab.gif

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
"as a slice of one-view entertainment, Uncharted 3 is peerless. The execution exhibits a kind of workmanship and polish way beyond the ambition of most other developers, let alone their abilities or budgets. As an expression of all that a video game could be, however, Uncharted 3 is narrow, focused and ultimately shallow. It is a majestic tribute to cinema, a movie game in the literal sense, and your enjoyment will be in precise step with your appreciation of that objective"

Wait, this is what that hall of fame is about? Isn't this the most succinct description of the Unchasrted series imaginable? This quote should be pasted at the top of the hall of fame, for context.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
Momo said:
EDIT: nm too late in the evening to start a convo
Yeah, most of the people here including me weren't serious. It's pretty obvious when you see what people were posting before the embargo was up.

Hey guys calm down. Uncharted 3 is a masterpiece...same as Uncharted 2. It's even called Uncharted 2.5 in some revies + is has better multiplayer.

So...do you all complain about a game as good as one of the best games of this generation?!

Damn, it has desert...it has Nathan...it has the best console graphics...it has more climbing/ riddles.....it has two nice looking girls...man...I listen to the OST and I really don't want to think about any review score....I know I will like this game ....I know it will be one of my favorite games this gen.

So...don't worry, be happy ^^

xion4360 said:

this will be the first uncharted game i buy. and i'm sure that'll be the case for many. if i was the type that didn't like linearity i'd want to know.

U3 didn't have to be as linear as U2. it could have become a more open game. it's worth pointing out that it hasn't. it's not like a product that's always the same. it's a sequel. it's not a crazy expectation that the structure of the game could have changed i don't think. we've seen franchises make large changes time and time again.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
I think the opposing side's comments are beginning to get as silly as those in support of the game. Does it make you feel good to mock people? Making ridiculous comments is common place for fans. You all act like you haven't seen it before.

DigiMish

The IGN video review is soooo terrible. Dude sounds like a huge tool - "I hated UC2 multiplayer, but here, I'm always earning shit, so I feel awesome even when I do bad."

xion4360

StuBurns said:
Are you suggesting any reviewer who doesn't like a game they review should look for another profession?

again im not talking about reviews at all. Im talking about people on GAF having this whole argument about linearity again. We all know Uncharted is linear and scripted. Its no surprise to anyone, and it shouldnt be brought up now as if all of a sudden you expected Uncharted 3 to not be linear.

Aguirre

8/10 - fucking called it

also is it just me or does this "controversial" review coincide with the new site design? perhaps testing it because they'll know they will get traffic?

calling the second opinion: 10/10

nib95

Banned
Rez said:
Wait, this is what that hall of fame is about? Isn't this the most succinct description of the Unchasrted series imaginable? This quote should be pasted at the top of the hall of fame.

The failure in that final quote is the "all that a video game could be" comment. He's judging the game by what it could be (and what in his opinion would make it a better game), in this instance, being less linear and more 'open', not having story trigger points etc (which nearly all games have), instead of judging it on what it IS or what it strived to be.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
Aguirre said:
also is it just me or does this "controversial" review coincide with the new site design? perhaps testing it because they'll know they will get traffic?
I don't think they did it for traffic. It's a huge site. People will notice the redesign one way or another.

xion4360 said:
again im not talking about reviews at all. Im talking about people on GAF having this whole argument about linearity again. We all know Uncharted is linear and scripted. Its no surprise to anyone, and it shouldnt be brought up now as if all of a sudden you expected Uncharted 3 to not be linear.
yeah well it's going to be brought up. hell, it was picked out of the Eurogamer review by people criticising the review, rather than people looking to criticise the game. people that agree with that complaint are presumably allowed to say so when discussing a review that shares that complaint.

i never got annoyed at people who complained that RE:Zero still had tank controls and fixed camera angles.

Majmun

The OT and this topic can co-exist until the Gamespot review is released. GS's score could lead to a potential disaster.

nib95 said:
The failure in that final quote is the "all that a video game could be" comment. He's judging the game by what it could be (and what in his opinion would make it a better game), in this instance, being less linear and more 'open', not having story trigger points etc (which nearly all games have), instead of judging it on what it IS or what it strived to be.
you're criticising the review for not matching your standards, rather than judging it based on what it is and what it strived to be.

you say reviews shouldn't judge a game on what it could be, but on whether or not it managed to be what the developers intended it to be. you criticise this review for being something else.

what if he doesn't like what the developers intended it to be? how is that wrong to point out?

Momo

Banned
Meisadragon said:
Yeah, most of the people here including me weren't serious. It's pretty obvious when you see what people were posting before the embargo was up.
yeah i was around for chinner's antics >.>

Second said:
The OT and this topic can co-exist until the Gamespot review is released. GS's score can lead to a potential disaster.

Since all the sane people from GS left years ago, I think people might just ignore them.

Mxrz

Getting all elitey about people being annoyed by Eurogamer seems silly too in my book. People are hyped, and for whatever reason a lower score stands out. And its not like Eurogamer or any site is beyond question when it comes to arbitrary numbers.

Honestly surprised IGN gave it a 10/10, and so many other sites. I expected it to be worse than UC2. Feeling a bit hyped now.

That list of quotes is fucking embarrassing. And to think some of those posters may be grown-ass adults. It's like the fucking IGN boards up in here.

I do think this game may very well warrant an eight. This whole thing reminds me of the GTA4 pre-release hysteria, and not in a good way.

Mxrz said:
Getting all elitey about people being annoyed by Eurogamer seems silly too in my book. People are hyped, and for whatever reason a lower score stands out. And its not like Eurogamer or any site is beyond question when it comes to arbitrary numbers.

Honestly surprised IGN gave it a 10/10, and so many other sites. I expected it to be worse than UC2. Feeling a bit hyped now.
there's no reason to be pissed off about a bad review, or a game you don't like getting a perfect score. call it being 'elitey' if you like, but i speak as someone that used to get pissed off about bad reviews... and trust me, getting over the score is a good thing. i'm trying to help people to do the same.

because scores just are pointless, and getting upset about them is even more pointless.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
ConradCervantes said:
That list of quotes is fucking embarrassing. And to think some of those posters may be grown-ass adults. It's like the fucking IGN boards up in here.

I do think this game may very well warrant an eight. This whole thing reminds me of the GTA4 pre-release hysteria, and not in a good way.
Bitter about fans being fans?

StuBurns

Banned
xion4360 said:
That's even more bizarre to me, GAFfers are trying to convey their opinions in much smaller word counts. It's not that people expect UC3 to be non-linear, it's that they possibly think it's a shame it still isn't.

The idea of only being about to complain about additional faults, not persistent faults is really strange to me, if anything I'd think it should be the opposite, because a developer is less likely to know how a new element worked, or didn't.

I do apologize though, I did misunderstand.

KingK

plagiarize said:
not everyone likes linearity in games. some of those people are reviewers. some of those people may be looking to see if they'd like Uncharted 3 after not having played the first two. those people will be glad that there are reviewers that share their dislike of linearity.

linearity isn't objectively bad, but there's nothing wrong with subjectively thinking it's bad.

personally linearity doesn't bother me at all, but the last one WAS linear, and not everyone likes linearity in games. so deal with the fact that one of them is a reviewer.

Ok, but if I was a reviewer, and I don't like puzzle games, would it be cool for me to review Portal 2 and give it a 7 because it wasn't the right game for me? Idk, I'm of the opinion that someone shouldn't be in charge of a review for a game from a genre they don't like. I'm not a fan of Portal because I don't like the genre, but I know that it is objectively better than a 7 (note, this is not a criticism of the number 8, just a criticism of the idea of giving a review to someone who doesn't like the genre). If I don't like open world RPGs, why would I be reading a review for Skyrim from someone who also doesn't like open world RPGs telling me about how I won't like this game because it's open world and an RPG? I just wouldn't even be interested in the review or the game in the first place.

Also, (and this isn't directed at you), I think the only thing funnier than people overreacting to reviews (both the people who seem insulted that Uncharted could get a 10, and the people who feel the same way about it getting an 8), are the people who insist on coming in here, a review thread, and shitting on people who are discussing/offering their opinions on the reviews. I haven't read every post in here from the last few pages, but it doesn't seem like there are that many people overreacting. I also find it ironic that when someone expresses an opinion about a review, someone else goes off on them, about how they don't have the right to have an opinion about that reviewers opinion.

Tutomos

plagiarize said:
it's not the same as that at all.

Andrew Luck will perform on the field in a much more measurable way, than Uncharted 3 will perform in differing peoples opinions. i don't know his position, but he will complete X number of passes. he will be intercepted X number of times. he will run X number or yards.

you can't do that with something like 'how fun will an individual find a video game', because someones performance on the football field is nothing like how fun people will find a video game.

If you can equate champions to GOTY awards, then yes, you can measure it. But that's not my point, my point is people do treat games like prospects in sports, therefore I'm not surprised and feel the need to correct anyone including the reviewers.

Reviews should not be taken as consumer advice, there are far too many factors that go into a review that are not made public, not to mention the fact that opinions differ. Even the most basic analysis of reviews show wildly inconsistent standards, not only for the review outlet, but also for the reviewer. And really, why do so many people make purchasing decisions based on the opinion of a person or persons that they have never even met before?

xion4360

plagiarize said:
yeah well it's going to be brought up. hell, it was picked out of the Eurogamer review by people criticising the review, rather than people looking to criticise the game. people that agree with that complaint are presumably allowed to say so when discussing a review that shares that complaint.

i never got annoyed at people who complained that RE:Zero still had tank controls and fixed camera angles.

so you said this is the first Uncharted game you'll get? You should try the first and second. They are all fantastic for what they are. I just dont get people who cant agree a game is deserving of something because it doesn't fulfill they're own vision. A game just like any thing should be judged on the merits of what it is trying to be and how much it ultimately lives up to that. There is a line that is hard not to cross, but ultimately much of the remainder is opinion.

Can't wait for Nov 1st. Dance Central 2 til then!

StuBurns said:
That's even more bizarre to me, GAFfers are trying to convey their opinions in much smaller word counts. It's not that people expect UC3 to be non-linear, it's that they possibly think it's a shame it still isn't.

The idea of only being about to complain about additional faults, not persistent faults is really strange to me, if anything I'd think it should be the opposite, because a developer is less likely to know how a new element worked, or didn't.

I do apologize though, I did misunderstand.

see thats getting into different territory than where im coming from. You're free to say its linear, but I dont agree that its a fault or something that needs to be addressed. Uncharted is very much a roller coaster. Its meant to be an experience. I cant call it a fault that its linear because thats simply what it is. Just like I cant fault Oblivon or Skyrim for being open and expansive. Whether you like it or not has more to do with personal taste. I just think its wrong to argue against it because it should be perfectly understood that its simply that type of game. It would make more sense to me if people argued why they preferred another more open game to uncharted, than argue that uncharted 3 itself is too linear.
anyway, moving on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom