• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 3 reviews

Status
Not open for further replies.
plagiarize said:
this will be the first uncharted game i buy. and i'm sure that'll be the case for many. if i was the type that didn't like linearity i'd want to know.

U3 didn't have to be as linear as U2. it could have become a more open game. it's worth pointing out that it hasn't. it's not like a product that's always the same. it's a sequel. it's not a crazy expectation that the structure of the game could have changed i don't think. we've seen franchises make large changes time and time again.

I don't see how that would be the case for many this is UC3 games don't start selling some huge amount more with the 3rd game.
Most people that will be buying UC3 will be fans of the series from 2 maybe 1.
If want to know about the series just read up on part 1 and 2 but don't come and expect 3 to change things to much.
That's like saying i need to know if COD is fps after 5 games .

Ricky_R

KingK said:
Ok, but if I was a reviewer, and I don't like puzzle games, would it be cool for me to review Portal 2 and give it a 7 because it wasn't the right game for me? Idk, I'm of the opinion that someone shouldn't be in charge of a review for a game from a genre they don't like. I'm not a fan of Portal because I don't like the genre, but I know that it is objectively better than a 7 (note, this is not a criticism of the number 8, just a criticism of the idea of giving a review to someone who doesn't like the genre). If I don't like open world RPGs, why would I be reading a review for Skyrim from someone who also doesn't like open world RPGs telling me about how I won't like this game because it's open world and an RPG? I just wouldn't even be interested in the review or the game in the first place.

Also, (and this isn't directed at you), I think the only thing funnier than people overreacting to reviews (both the people who seem insulted that Uncharted could get a 10, and the people who feel the same way about it getting an 8), are the people who insist on coming in here, a review thread, and shitting on people who are discussing/offering their opinions on the reviews. I haven't read every post in here from the last few pages, but it doesn't seem like there are that many people overreacting. I also find it ironic that when someone expresses an opinion about a review, someone else goes off on them, about how they don't have the right to have an opinion about that reviewers opinion.

While I agree with you completely, it's just something we won't be able, or need to control .

That's why people should find some specific reviewers or some websites/magz that normally share the same opinion as you towards games. There's no other way to resolve this.

Wazzim

Banned
Wait. So we were not joking all along? People are seriously mad over a review score? Over an 8/10 ?
The heck is wrong with you guys, it is a fucking gaming review.

cacildo

The only uncharted game ive played is the first one and i think its pretty weak. What kind of review scores did it got?

Is the second one any better?

Majmun

This thread is actually quite friendly compared to the Zelda TP Gamespot thread. Now that was a battlefield.

I lurked in awe.

nib95

Banned
plagiarize said:
you're criticising the review for not matching your standards, rather than judging it based on what it is and what it strived to be.

you say reviews shouldn't judge a game on what it could be, but on whether or not it managed to be what the developers intended it to be.

what if he doesn't like what the developers intended it to be? how is that wrong to point out?

Firstly, Offering an opinion on a critique of game is a bit different to critiquing a game itself. However I do understand your point, but there has to be a certain level of common sense applied.

As other have insinuated, the problem with this "what a video game could be" type thinking in the sense Simon had proposed it, is that I could essentially apply it to any genre or style of game as a negative. Play a sandbox game and critique it for being too open or not linear enough, play a beat em up and critique it for not having enough exploration and so forth. Which as an opinion I am allowed to have, but that is also a bit of an unfair or irrelevant one given the context.

P.S, just to clarify, I am merely offering my own critique or opinion of his critique or opinion of the game. There's nothing implicitly wrong with either, but naturally opinions will differ, and there is ultimately a debate to be had. A very good one in this case that brings up some really interesting points.

Note I'm debating the Eurogamer written piece only and none of the other 8/10's, of which the only thing I disagree with is the notion U3 has tacked on MP.

Majine

Banned
Wazzim said:
Wait. So we were not joking all along? People are seriously mad over a review score? Over an 8/10 ?
This is a fucking gaming forum.

Ricky_R

cacildo said:
The only uncharted game ive played is the first one and i think its pretty weak. What kind of review scores did it got?

Is the second one any better?

Much better and now would be a good time to play it, so you can follow with the Uncharted 3.

KingK said:
Ok, but if I was a reviewer, and I don't like puzzle games, would it be cool for me to review Portal 2 and give it a 7 because it wasn't the right game for me? Idk, I'm of the opinion that someone shouldn't be in charge of a review for a game from a genre they don't like. I'm not a fan of Portal because I don't like the genre, but I know that it is objectively better than a 7 (note, this is not a criticism of the number 8, just a criticism of the idea of giving a review to someone who doesn't like the genre). If I don't like open world RPGs, why would I be reading a review for Skyrim from someone who also doesn't like open world RPGs telling me about how I won't like this game because it's open world and an RPG? I just wouldn't even be interested in the review or the game in the first place.

Also, (and this isn't directed at you), I think the only thing funnier than people overreacting to reviews (both the people who seem insulted that Uncharted could get a 10, and the people who feel the same way about it getting an 8), are the people who insist on coming in here, a review thread, and shitting on people who are discussing/offering their opinions on the reviews. I haven't read every post in here from the last few pages, but it doesn't seem like there are that many people overreacting. I also find it ironic that when someone expresses an opinion about a review, someone else goes off on them, about how they don't have the right to have an opinion about that reviewers opinion.
this is just a personal thing, so don't take offence as it isn't directed at anyone, but i think having opinions about opinions is douchey. second guessing someone elses opinion, you're free to do it, but personally i think it's a douche move.

i take everyone's opinion at face value, because even though not every opinion can be taken at face value, the vast majority can, and unless you have good reason or evidence to suggest otherwise, presuming anything else is stupid.

as i said before, i came in here to see what kind of reviews the game was getting and to hopefully find out what the 3d support was like. what i found was a shitstorm over the review that HAD CONVINCED ME TO BUY THE GAME.

i hope my reason for being here passes whatever metric you're applying to it.

to my knowledge the reviewer likes the genre. you can like the genre and not think Uncharted is the bestest example of it.

you know, opinions right? every game is going to have its dissenters and its fans. that's why you try to look at consensus, or why you try to find reviewers who have similar opinions to you about games. consensus says U3 is as good as U2.

no reason to panic about that what so ever.

Vire

Dropped down to 93 on Metacritic.

OH NOES SUICIDE WATCH.

StuBurns said:
Odd thing is, he nailed that review, unlike the majority.
At the time I thought he was totally crazy, but in retrospect I think it's actually spot on.

Hazelhurst

TTP said:
Odd review for sure, but I'm somewhat happy about it because I have the feeling NDI is pushing the cinematic angle too much and needs to focus more on the actual gameplay which doesn't seem to be much improved upon honestly.
Yeah, game play should be the highest priority. As long as it's just as good as the second I will be happy, but this might explain some of the 8/10 scores. I can't wait to devour this game.

gundamkyoukai said:
I don't see how that would be the case for many this is UC3 games don't start selling some huge amount more with the 3rd game.
Most people that will be buying UC3 will be fans of the series from 2 maybe 1.
If want to know about the series just read up on part 1 and 2 but don't come and expect 3 to change things to much.
and most of the reviews reflect that. no harm in having one or two reviews written for the people considering getting 3 that didn't play the first two.

right? aside from pissing off a few fanboys it's still a useful thing to put out there.

Mxrz said:
Getting all elitey about people being annoyed by Eurogamer seems silly too in my book. People are hyped, and for whatever reason a lower score stands out. And its not like Eurogamer or any site is beyond question when it comes to arbitrary numbers.

It doesn't excuse people to throw an e-tantrum like spoiled children, though. Honestly, it's like the comments section of a 'controversial' review on Rotten Tomatoes in here. Sad.

Empty

StuBurns said:
Odd thing is, he nailed that review, unlike the majority.

kinda similar to how eurogamer and edge got piled on for giving mgs4 an 8/10, as everyone else lavished it with 10s, though eurogamer were still too generous.

Loxley

Wazzim said:

Welcome to the internet, unfortunately.

Wazzim

Banned
Majine said:
This is a fucking gaming forum.
That doesn't mean we can act like some 10 year old loser who is mad at his parents for giving the 'wrong' Christmas present. It's because of those mad guys that there is corruption galore with gaming reviews.

The-Warning said:
At least we know where the fanboys stand. You, on the other hand, have been passive aggressively trolling behind the guise of objectively. Can see right through it.

Anyway, I liked the Eurogamer review. He eloquently and clearly stated his problems with the game, as well as his likes. UC2 is one of my favorite games of all time, but I understand the problems with excessive hand-holding and linearity. It was so masterfully done however, that it didn't detract from my enjoyment.

The Eurogamer review was well written, but it did reopen a personal can of worms that has always annoyed me... are they supposed to be reviewing the game or the developer and the design choices they made? Generally speaking, this particular can of worms seems to open whenever there is a review that argues against or for strict linearity or otherwise, like open world.

Naughty Dog has designed the game to enjoyed in a certain way... one that essentially requires the player to follow the path that Naughty Dog has created. Should the reviewer really be questioning and reviewing the design choice of the game when the review should be to inform (discuss) to the reader of the various aspects that help complete that design like the visuals, sound, A.I, etc? In this case, the reviewer was more annoyed with design of keeping the game tight and focused rather than explaining to the reader the quality of everything else in the game. Half of the review was him complaining about not being able to deviate from the script a little bit, instead leaving one small paragraph to explain the beauty of the art and visuals...

My own personal issue is that if they start to critique the design choices of the game and as a result, start to grade based on that, the reader is being told to believe that the decisions the developer made are wrong. He is now arguing that any sort of strict linearity is bad. Look out, developers... you'll get a reduced score for making a tightly focused game. That is a decision that the reader has to discover themselves if they choose to play the game. The reviewer is putting a grade on the developers choice to keep the game tightly scripted to ensure a focused, high-quality game, which unfortunately people will miss out on because the reviewer attached an arbitrary score of 8 to the game because he was little angry about it. That score will ultimately affect a purchase of someone who otherwise would have absolutely loved everything about the game, just because the reviewer in question didn't like idea that your character is guided on a path without much room for deviation. This particular review and score just lead me back to my point of review scores should be abolished. It should be just an article... that you have to read instead of looking at a score and judging by that. People can still debate the review, but they can't cry foul at the arbitrary score that can easily affect the purchase of someone.

Regardless, the game is fantastic reviews. Even the Eurogamer review itself was pretty positive, other than the design stuff. By the way, the same can of worms opened with reviews of Deus Ex: Human Revolution too... so it isn't just Uncharted.

TL;DR - Don't review the design choice of making a game very linear or open world or whatever... Reviews should outright abolish "scores".

Dr. Malik

FlatAss_
93 on metacritic

tumblr_lkc7u7GJaf1qcegwd.gif

i'm actually glad this won't go down as the best reviewed game this generation (or all time), heck it isn't even the best reviewed game this month and it can drop down to 4, crazy times.

DGRE

Banned
How does the Eurogamer score affect anyone's opinion about this game? Like you aren't going to buy the game now because of it? I just can't identify with the response of some here...

Also, protip: 8 is a great score.

plagiarize said:
and most of the reviews reflect that. no harm in having one or two reviews written for the people considering getting 3 that didn't play the first two.

right? aside from pissing off a few fanboys it's still a useful thing to put out there.

It's not useful to any body to have someone review a game when they don't like series\ genre IMO.

DGRE said:
How does the Eurogamer score affect anyone's opinion about this game? Like you aren't going to buy the game now because of it? I just can't identify with the response of some here...

Also, protip: 8 is a great score.

Some people just take the score far to seriously...

MeBecomingI said:
The Eurogamer review was well written, but it did reopen a personal can of worms that has always annoyed me... are they supposed to be reviewing the game or the developer and the design choices they made? Generally speaking, this particular can of worms seems to open whenever there is a review that argues against or for strict linearity or otherwise, like open world.

Naughty Dog has designed the game to enjoyed in a certain way... one that essentially requires the player to follow the path that Naughty Dog has created. Should the reviewer really be questioning and reviewing the design choice of the game when the review should be to inform (discuss) to the reader of the various aspects that help complete that design like the visuals, sound, A.I, etc? In this case, the reviewer was more annoyed with design of keeping the game tight and focused rather than explaining to the reader the quality of everything else in the game. Half of the review was him complaining about not being able to deviate from the script a little bit, instead leaving one small paragraph to explain the beauty of the art and visuals...

My own personal issue is that if they start to critique the design choices of the game and as a result, start to grade based on that, the reader is being told to believe that the decisions the developer made are wrong. He is now arguing that any sort of strict linearity is bad. Look out, developers... you'll get a reduced score for making a tightly focused game. That is a decision that the reader has to discover themselves if they choose to play the game. The reviewer is putting a grade on the developers choice to keep the game tightly scripted to ensure a focused, high-quality game, which unfortunately people will miss out on because the reviewer attached an arbitrary score of 8 to the game because he was little angry about it. That score will ultimately affect a purchase of someone who otherwise would have absolutely loved everything about the game, just because the reviewer in question didn't like idea that your character is guided on a path without much room for deviation. This particular review and score just lead me back to my point of review scores should be abolished. It should be just an article... that you have to read instead of looking at a score and judging by that. People can still debate the review, but they can't cry foul at the arbitrary score that can easily affect the purchase of someone.

TL;DR - Don't review the design choice of making a game very linear or open world or whatever... Reviews should outright abolish "scores".
i agree with your conclusion absolutely. scores should totally die.

i disagree with the assertion that all reviews should be X. there is value to approaching reviews the way the Eurogamer review approaches things, and there is value to approach reviews in the way you suggest.

someone who enjoys games like Uncharted, who want to know how 3 stacks up, will appreciate reviews like you suggest. people who haven't played it, who aren't familiar with the choices the developer has made will appreciate reviews like the Eurogamer one.

as i've been saying, that review convinced me to buy U3. i know that the thing which bothered him, wouldn't bother me. a well written review is like that. i can read a well written review of a game and get a good idea of whether or not i will like it, irrespective of whether or not the reviewer liked it.

we need both kinds of reviews. i really disagree with the idea that all reviews should fit the same formula.

aeolist

Banned
OK I don't want to read the thread or any big reviews just to go in as fresh as possible

All I want to know is if we've found out if this game has more bullshit "supernatural" enemies like the last two and if the final boss is as bad as U2

Vire

ShockingAlberto said:
You know

I'd really like it if we stopped throwing around the word "masterpiece" in general.
I don't think you can adequately call something a masterpiece until you've had years to reflect upon it.

AniHawk

Mama Robotnik said:
Just been catching up. Wow at some of the participants in this thread.

Even in your most intense, eight-out-of-ten induced fanatic delirium over a game none of you have played, I still love you GAF.

EDIT : More from the thread from before and after this post:

EDIT 2 - further comments from the thread:

and everything on this page onwards treating the oft-lambasted IGN as gospel when it produces scores judged as acceptable by those who haven't played the bloody game yet.

eh, that's not so bad. for a lot of people, uncharted 2 was the best game ever made, ever. uncharted 3 is its sequel. it's to be expected.

or maybe i knew what to expect after experiencing some of it firsthand.

regardless, i liked eurogamer's review. they hit on the points that i feel are problematic with this type of game design, yet still acknowledge that you'll be hard pressed to find anyone doing it better.

i didn't care much for sessler's review. it feels like he has some sort of weird depression regarding video games. this is the third time now that i've seen him depressed that something isn't as good as what he remembered.

nib95

Banned
Shepard said:
Why are you guys using the inferior scores aggregator? It's still 94.33 on gamerankings

They're several reviews behind Meta. Add to that, their importance dropped ever since that dreadful GameFaq's style re-design.

EDIT: Holy crap this cracked me up.

ExcitedBoys.gif

Angry Fork

LeonSKennedy90 said:
Ya know, the context of this gif is that she was so happy, she was in tears.
This is similar to the Orson Welles clapping gif everyone likes to use. The context in the film is completely different to how it's used on forums lol.

Vire said:
I don't think you can adequately call something a masterpiece until you've had years to reflect upon it.
sometimes you can tell right away... but i say this as someone who would only use the word to describe maybe 5 games.

RE4 you knew right away.

plagiarize said:
i agree with your conclusion absolutely. scores should totally die.

i disagree with the assertion that all reviews should be X. there is value to approaching reviews the way the Eurogamer review approaches things, and there is value to approach reviews in the way you suggest.

someone who enjoys games like Uncharted, who want to know how 3 stacks up, will appreciate reviews like you suggest. people who haven't played it, who aren't familiar with the choices the developer has made will appreciate reviews like the Eurogamer one.

as i've been saying, that review convinced me to buy U3. i know that the thing which bothered him, wouldn't bother me. a well written review is like that. i can read a well written review of a game and get a good idea of whether or not i will like it, irrespective of whether or not the reviewer liked it.

we need both kinds of reviews. i really disagree with the idea that all reviews should fit the same formula.

Well, I don't have much issue with a review discussing or pointing out the design choice they made for the potentially uninformed reader so that they know what they can expect, but then throwing in your own personal annoyances with the design choice is where I draw the line. Applying a score to that is just icing on the cake for what not to do. I think it would be fairly reasonable to have a review that can explain the design without throwing in your own personal opinion about it.

Angry Fork said:
This is similar to the Orson Welles clapping gif everyone likes to use. The context in the film is completely different to how it's used on forums lol.

That always amuses me, too. Nobody knows the classics!

KingK

plagiarize said:
this is just a personal thing, so don't take offence as it isn't directed at anyone, but i think having opinions about opinions is douchey. second guessing someone elses opinion, you're free to do it, but personally i think it's a douche move.

i take everyone's opinion at face value, because even though not every opinion can be taken at face value, the vast majority can, and unless you have good reason or evidence to suggest otherwise, presuming anything else is stupid.

as i said before, i came in here to see what kind of reviews the game was getting and to hopefully find out what the 3d support was like. what i found was a shitstorm over the review that HAD CONVINCED ME TO BUY THE GAME.

i hope my reason for being here passes whatever metric you're applying to it.

to my knowledge the reviewer likes the genre. you can like the genre and not think Uncharted is the bestest example of it.

you know, opinions right? every game is going to have its dissenters and its fans. that's why you try to look at consensus, or why you try to find reviewers who have similar opinions to you about games. consensus says U3 is as good as U2.

no reason to panic about that what so ever.

Oh, I agree that it's possible for someone to like linear action games, but still dislike Uncharted. It's just that, when reading his criticisms of the game, it read more like criticisms of linear games in general than specifically Uncharted. Also, I have no problem with you, or anyone else, being in this thread. In my post I was talking about how I think it's silly to write a review directed at people who do not like the genre and therefore would not be interested in the game in the first place and wouldn't even be reading the review. It just seems like it doesn't really help anybody.

I also agree that there's no reason to panic or anything, and I never was (I know you weren't accusing me of doing so). I don't really rely on reviews to determine my purchases, I prefer GAF consensus and recommendations from users who I know have similar taste to me. However, I do like to read reviews for games that I'm looking forward to, to see how they stack up to previous iterations and/or my expectations of them. The Eurogamer review just stood out to me as being very negative about properties that are pretty standard fare in linear action games.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Did Arkham City have a similar review thread, I mean in terms of crazy content?

I'm not trying to make some passive, belabored point about console exclusives, I'm just curious.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom