• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 3 reviews

Status
Not open for further replies.
MeBecomingI said:
Well, I don't have much issue with a review discussing or pointing out the design choice they made for the potentially uninformed reader so that they know what they can expect, but then throwing in your own personal annoyances with the design choice is where I draw the line. Applying a score to that is just icing on the cake for what not to do. I think it would be fairly reasonable to have a review that can explain the design without throwing in your own personal opinion about it.
i think it's perfectly valid for a review to contain personal opinions about such things. not all design decisions are equal.

Chinner

Banned
Rez said:
Did Arkham City have a similar review thread, I mean in terms of crazy content?

I'm not trying to make some passive, belabored point about console exclusives, I'm just curious.
dunno. i think it was kinda inevitable with uncharted 3 though. second sequel with a 2 year span probably wasn't long enough for some people. i disagree i get what they mean.

Angry Fork said:
This is similar to the Orson Welles clapping gif everyone likes to use. The context in the film is completely different to how it's used on forums lol.
I used to think people were using it correctly! Like, they were upset, but clapping because they wanted to save face and nothing they liked could be viewed as a failure.

Also, pretty much everyone uses Boo-urns wrong.

Hyuga

Banned
Wazzim said:
Wait. So we were not joking all along? People are seriously mad over a review score? Over an 8/10 ?
The heck is wrong with you guys, it is a fucking gaming review.
Yeah, you are right!
28x 95% - 100% reviews
&
13x 90 - 95% reviews
...should make it clear: This games is a masterpiece :)

Rez said:

I'm not trying to make some passive, belabored point about console exclusives, I'm just curious.
to my knowledge no, but the worst review threads that i remember are all console exclusives. they draw in the worst of both 'sides'.

Tom Penny

Marius_ said:
93 on metacritic

tumblr_lkc7u7GJaf1qcegwd.gif

There can only be one GTA IV. Game of this generation.

plagiarize said:
i think it's perfectly valid for a review to contain personal opinions about such things. not all design decisions are equal.

No, they aren't. But you can separate that into an additional article afterward or some sort of opinion piece at a different time.

Regardless, I think we agree to disagree, but we can agree and hopefully every else can, that review scores need to go. No more Metacritic!

Vire

Rez said:

Nope was pretty civil for 99% of it besides the Destructoid review which cited the controls as too complicated.

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
i plead chinner to continue sully and drakes love scene

Yea reviews are so weird - you got to not think about them too in depth. Look at Joystiq, gave Batman and U3 a 4.5/5. And the Gunstringer a 5. What?

And also, you got to consider that a lot of reviewers are reviewing this stuff at the office and getting work done. And a cinematic experience like U3 is best at home, relaxed on your nice setup (and bonus playing with your significant other).

Can't wait!

Wired

What the fuck is wrong with people I mean seriously? Are your lives so empty you have to emotionally invest in the perceived numerical value of a game? Besides beyond using scores as a quick guideline to decide if you should buy a game how the hell is it possible to actually care about them, the stupid number is useless anyway. Just because GAME A got a higher score than GAME B means shit when it comes down to how much you will enjoy either of them, try reading up on the game instead. I know I know, there's so many words.

Mrbob

DGRE said:
How does the Eurogamer score affect anyone's opinion about this game? Like you aren't going to buy the game now because of it? I just can't identify with the response of some here...

Also, protip: 8 is a great score.

The only thing I'm going to be able to think about now as I play the game is Eurogamer gave it an 8. Might as well cancel my pre order and not give myself such grief.

.la1n

Did not like UC 2 as much as UC 1 but that didn't mean it wasn't an amazing game. I do have a habit of picking these up at budget prices - I am not a multiplayer kind of guy.

MeBecomingI said:
No, they aren't. But you can separate that into an additional article afterward or some sort of opinion piece at a different time.

Regardless, I think we agree to disagree, but we can agree and hopefully every else can, that review scores need to go. No more Metacritic!
i think it's enough that plenty of places offer you the kind of reviews that you like. i think you go to far to want every review to be written to the same standard, and the same aim.

i think i can get you to agree that ;)

MeBecomingI said:
Well, I don't have much issue with a review discussing or pointing out the design choice they made for the potentially uninformed reader so that they know what they can expect, but then throwing in your own personal annoyances with the design choice is where I draw the line. Applying a score to that is just icing on the cake for what not to do. I think it would be fairly reasonable to have a review that can explain the design without throwing in your own personal opinion about it.

I...what...isn't that the whole point of a review?!

KingK said:
Oh, I agree that it's possible for someone to like linear action games, but still dislike Uncharted. It's just that, when reading his criticisms of the game, it read more like criticisms of linear games in general than specifically Uncharted.
This isn't the case, however. He's also the person behind Eurogamer's 9/10 review of Child of Eden. He doesn't dislike linearity in some abstract sense, but he's certainly critical of its implementation in Uncharted 3.

Darknessbear said:
Yea reviews are so weird - you got to not think about them too in depth. Look at Joystiq, gave Batman and U3 a 4.5/5. And the Gunstringer a 5. What?

And also, you got to consider that a lot of reviewers are reviewing this stuff at the office and getting work done. And a cinematic experience like U3 is best at home, relaxed on your nice setup (and bonus playing with your significant other).

Can't wait!
different games, different genres, different systems. comparing things like that is just the path to madness.

aeolist

Banned
aeolist said:
OK I don't want to read the thread or any big reviews just to go in as fresh as possible

All I want to know is if we've found out if this game has more bullshit "supernatural" enemies like the last two and if the final boss is as bad as U2
Will keep quoting this until someone answers me

Uncharted 3: a review by APairOfFilthySocks

Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception is an action-adventure game played from a third-person perspective, with the player in control of Nathan Drake. Drake will have a large number of different animation sets, enabling him to react according to his surroundings. Drake is physically adept and is able to jump, sprint, climb, swim, scale narrow ledges, wall-faces to get between points, and perform other acrobatic actions. Drake can now take on opponents in more ways than before: hand-to-hand combat with multiple opponents, contextual melee attacks, and new stealth options. Uncharted 3 also features expanded and diverse traversal moves with deep gunplay. Drake can be equipped with up to two firearms – one single-handed and one two-handed – and a limited supply of grenades. Drake can pick up weapons, automatically replacing the existing weapon he was using, and additional ammunition from downed enemies.

The player can direct Drake to take cover behind corners or low walls using either aimed or blind-fire to kill his enemies. The player can also have Drake fire while moving. If Drake is undetected by his enemies, the player can attempt to use stealth to take them out, such as by sneaking up behind them to knock them out with one hit, or by pulling an unsuspecting foe over a ledge from which Drake is hanging. The stealth mechanic has been simplified and improved. Some areas of the game will require the player to solve puzzles with the use of Drake's journal, which provides clues towards the puzzles' solutions. When enabled, a hint system provides gameplay clues, such as the direction of the next objective.

Like its predecessors, throughout the game there will be special treasures that may be hidden or in difficult-to-reach places that the player can collect. Collecting these treasures, along with completing certain feats within the game, is tracked by the awarding of medals, which gives the player in-game money to use to unlock special options; including in-game bonuses such as alternate costumes, unlimited ammunition, new weapons, and upgrades for online gameplay, as well as non-game extras, such as concept art and making-of movie. All the money that players earn in the game's story mode will be available for transfer to multiplayer, and vice versa. The statistics tracked for a large portion of the in-game medals are used to award trophies.

GRAPHICS: 10/10
SOUND: 10/10
GAMEPLAY: 10/10

VERDICT: 10/10

legacyzero

Banned
Ricky_R said:
Are you stuck in a cave that you can't get another PS3?

A financial cave, yes. The $99 it would take to fix it, or the $300 it would take to guy another one, is already commited to other games, life, bills, etc.

So sad..

Ghost23

I bet this game is very good, but reading reviews like the IGN review makes me consider if the reviewer really thinks the game deserves a 10 in EVERY category, or they were just super impressed for the first time they played it. As the past shows, every game that get a review like the one they posted ends up being way less masterful as they imagined after the first week or so.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
RedRedSuit said:
It's more linear than U2?

(This is an actual question. While I found U2 to be, of course, completely linear, it also allowed for a nice amount of creativity in the gunfights, because of the decent size of the areas and the vertical/scaling aspect of the level design. It never felt as intensely shooting gallery-ish as a CoD game, for example. I entered most gunfights and relished the "okay... how shall I tackle this one this time?" feeling.)

What say you?

Anteater said:
Compare to UC2, did you find 3 to be even less dynamic?

I apologize if it was mentioned in the reviews, but I didn't want to read them to avoid spoilers.

2 and 3 feel about the same, in terms of pushing you from one set piece to the next, making scenarios that look fantastic (and dangerous) that are actually fairly hard to fail. Also punishing players for not doing thing in the way that ND wants.

They're both roller coaster rides.

3 just happens to be a better ride, with twists and turns that are even more unpredictable. If you've avoided spoilers, Uncharted 3 will surprise the hell out of you, chapter after chapter. There are... hm. I can't even give you any hints. I'll just say that Uncharted will go in directions players aren't expecting :D

But man... I don't see why ND can't (or refuses) to flesh out the platforming. It is literally mindless. One path, nearly impossible to fail. No timing like Tomb Raider, no grip meter... it's weird - the gunplay is actually fairly challenging. So why can't the platforming be dynamic too? Even modern Tomb Raiders have better traversal/climbing systems.

Edit: To be super clear, if you're like me and count U2 as one of the best games this generation and one of your favorite games every, U3 will deliver on your hype and more. But if you're an Uncharted detractor, if the "cinematic experience" doesn't sway you, then you'll not be won over this time, either.

Some gamers can lean back and go on the ride. Others can't.

I started reading the Eurogamer review but stopped after 2 paragraphs bitching about how Naughty Dog "controls the game too much" and the bullshit linearity stuff. I'm sick of people seeing linearity as a bad thing. I really am, and I'm glad as hell to hear U3 is as linear as ever.

PairOfFilthySocks said:
I...what...isn't that the whole point of a review?!
No the point is to objectively analyze the game from the perspective of someone who really like this kind of game-design and score it accordingly. Just look at those production-values!

spwolf

well while it get overwhelmingly awesome reviews, those 8% of reviews that were 8/10, did drag it to less than UC2... which is dumb.

squidyj

plagiarize said:
someone said that the end game is better than the first two... no idea if that pertains to the supernatural though.

I think that has more to do with maybe there not being a boss ala Lazarovic at the end of the game. With regards to supernatural elements I don't know for sure but...

The central city Drake is looking for is supposed to have Djinn bound within it, so it seems likely that they might break free as supernatural enemies

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Did Eurogamer's review just drag U3's Metacritic score to 93?

How could Sony and ND have let this happen?

They should blackballed on the back of this badly-written review.

(This not even the EDGE scale, so an "8" probably means "average")

Epcott

Another long list of awesome scores... first Batman, now this. Fuuuuuck, they are KILLING my wallet :(

But my PS3 is getting plenty of action!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom