• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 3 reviews

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jinfash said:
Did Eurogamer's review just drag U3's Metacritic score to 93?

How could Sony and ND have let this happen?

They should blackballed on the back of this badly-written review.

(This not even the EDGE scale, so an "8" probably means "average")
it is completely impossible to know if you are joking or not. such is this thread.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
plagiarize said:
it is completely impossible to know if you are joking or not. such is this thread.
Aren't they aware that bonuses are tied to that Metacritic score? They're just messing with the livelihood of hardworking developers.

Jinfash said:
Did Eurogamer's review just drag U3's Metacritic score to 93?

How could Sony and ND have let this happen?

They should blackballed on the back of this badly-written review.

(This not even the EDGE scale, so an "8" probably means "average")

Eurogamer have always used the full 10 point scale. So 8 does not mean average.

Jinfash said:
Aren't they aware that bonuses are tied to that Metacritic score? They're just messing with the livelihood of hardworking developers.
i still can't tell.

this is pretty impressive. you are right on that line...

Dragon

Banned
plagiarize said:

Coming almost eight hours after the review was revealed, I don't think it was an honest reaction :).

PepsimanVsJoe said:
Yeah I didn't like U2. Guess I'll be skipping this one as well.

You rented U2?

Mrbob

PairOfFilthySocks said:
Uncharted 3: a review by APairOfFilthySocks

Epic review.

GRAPHICS: 10/10
SOUND: 10/10
GAMEPLAY: 10/10

VERDICT: 10/10

Back on the Hyyyypeeeeee train! Suck it, Eurogamer!

StuBurns

Banned
Empty said:
kinda similar to how eurogamer and edge got piled on for giving mgs4 an 8/10, as everyone else lavished it with 10s, though eurogamer were still too generous.
I literally can't think of a game I'd like to review less than MGS4 at that time. It would have been incredibly difficult. I think in many ways it's spectacular, and utter crap.

Yoboman

Jinfash said:
You think jobless Xbox fanboys (unless you consider working for Eurogamer a job LOL) care about hard working Playstation fans?

Jarmel

Banned
GDJustin said:
2 and 3 feel about the same, in terms of pushing you from one set piece to the next, making scenarios that look fantastic (and dangerous) that are actually fairly hard to fail. Also punishing players for not doing thing in the way that ND wants.

They're both roller coaster rides.

3 just happens to be a better ride, with twists and turns that are even more unpredictable. If you've avoided spoilers, Uncharted 3 will surprise the hell out of you, chapter after chapter. There are... hm. I can't even give you any hints. I'll just say that Uncharted will go in directions players aren't expecting :D

But man... I don't see why ND can't (or refuses) to flesh out the platforming. It is literally mindless. One path, nearly impossible to fail. No timing like Tomb Raider, no grip meter... it's weird - the gunplay is actually fairly challenging. So why can't the platforming be dynamic too? Even modern Tomb Raiders have better traversal/climbing systems.

Edit: To be super clear, if you're like me and count U2 as one of the best games this generation and one of your favorite games every, U3 will deliver on your hype and more. But if you're an Uncharted detractor, if the "cinematic experience" doesn't sway you, then you'll not be won over this time, either.

Some gamers can lean back and go on the ride. Others can't.

And why could this not be in the review? I'm aware you're not the writer but complaints like this are perfectly valid. Did Miller not care at all about that aspect?

Also I'm not sure how it can be much more linear than 2 as 2 was pretty linear already.

KingK

Jinfash said:
I think the game would have gotten a much warmer reception had it not been set in the Middle East.

Ah, now it makes sense. Especially with Europe's recent rise of anti-Islam sentiment. The Eurogamer review makes complete sense now.

I'm 95% sure we're both joking

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
I can't believe how we label something as controversial now. It's ridiculous. I'd call a 4/10 controversial. 8/10 isn't even close; sure it stirs up some attention but imagine it was a 6.

Corto

plagiarize said:
i still can't tell.

this is pretty impressive. you are right on that line...

Read again with his avatar in mind.

11tld0l.png

StuBurns

Banned
Dr Eggman said:
I can't believe how we label something as controversial now. It's ridiculous. I'd call a 4/10 controversial. 8/10 isn't even close; sure it stirs up some attention but imagine it was a 6.
Quotation marks are an indication it's to be taken as ironic.

Kritz

Banned
PairOfFilthySocks said:
Uncharted 3: a review by APairOfFilthySocks

Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception is an action-adventure game played from a third-person perspective, with the player in control of Nathan Drake. Drake will have a large number of different animation sets, enabling him to react according to his surroundings. Drake is physically adept and is able to jump, sprint, climb, swim, scale narrow ledges, wall-faces to get between points, and perform other acrobatic actions. Drake can now take on opponents in more ways than before: hand-to-hand combat with multiple opponents, contextual melee attacks, and new stealth options. Uncharted 3 also features expanded and diverse traversal moves with deep gunplay. Drake can be equipped with up to two firearms – one single-handed and one two-handed – and a limited supply of grenades. Drake can pick up weapons, automatically replacing the existing weapon he was using, and additional ammunition from downed enemies.

The player can direct Drake to take cover behind corners or low walls using either aimed or blind-fire to kill his enemies. The player can also have Drake fire while moving. If Drake is undetected by his enemies, the player can attempt to use stealth to take them out, such as by sneaking up behind them to knock them out with one hit, or by pulling an unsuspecting foe over a ledge from which Drake is hanging. The stealth mechanic has been simplified and improved. Some areas of the game will require the player to solve puzzles with the use of Drake's journal, which provides clues towards the puzzles' solutions. When enabled, a hint system provides gameplay clues, such as the direction of the next objective.

Like its predecessors, throughout the game there will be special treasures that may be hidden or in difficult-to-reach places that the player can collect. Collecting these treasures, along with completing certain feats within the game, is tracked by the awarding of medals, which gives the player in-game money to use to unlock special options; including in-game bonuses such as alternate costumes, unlimited ammunition, new weapons, and upgrades for online gameplay, as well as non-game extras, such as concept art and making-of movie. All the money that players earn in the game's story mode will be available for transfer to multiplayer, and vice versa. The statistics tracked for a large portion of the in-game medals are used to award trophies.

GRAPHICS: 10/10
SOUND: 10/10
GAMEPLAY: 10/10

VERDICT: 10/10

I like you.

Gregorn

KingK said:
Ah, now it makes sense. Especially with Europe's recent rise of anti-Islam sentiment. The Eurogamer review makes complete sense now.

I'm 95% sure we're both joking

I am a euro gamer and can confirm that this is the reason for the 8/10.

Majukun

if these are the problems,i can understand the 8 given by eurogamer.
but 8 it0s still a great vote,so i don't understand why people are so mad about that.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
We don't need to hide any longer.

I'm one-quarter euro gamer, and proud of it.

Majukun said:
if these are the problems,i can understand the 8 given by eurogamer.
but 8 it0s still a great vote,so i don't understand why people are so mad about that.
zlatko said:
LOL @ people getting tight over an 8. It's an opinion and they justified it. Move on.

As for the amount of 10/10's.... sweet mother of God.

I didn't want to get myself too hyped and I'm trying to avoid as much spoilers as possible since before this subway beta started to get the most I can out of it, but...they managed to top UC2? GOTY in the bag. Naughty Gods indeed.

I've seen more people upset at them criticizing the linearity.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
kIdMuScLe said:
so the UC3 is still the same as the other 2 games? if so, i'm taking a pass....

Thank you for letting us know that you are not interested in the game that the thread is about. It was quite worthwhile for me to hear your thoughts. I give your post an 8/10.

zlatko

Banned
LOL @ people getting tight over an 8. It's an opinion and they justified it. Move on.

As for the amount of 10/10's.... sweet mother of God.

I didn't want to get myself too hyped and I'm trying to avoid as much spoilers as possible since before this subway beta started to get the most I can out of it, but...they managed to top UC2? GOTY in the bag. Naughty Gods indeed.

reKon

Banned
GDJustin said:
I agree with Eurogamer's 8/10 review, which is probably the most negative one I've read. I also agree with IGN's 10/10, which is probably the most positive review I've read.

Eurogamer is right - the game does basically force you to play the game how ND wants. Right down to "adjusting" your jumps. It's more linear than virtually ANYTHING else out there, because not only is the adventure linear, but all the moments within the adventure are completely scripted. It's arguably the least dynamic AAA game out there.

But IGN is also right. The experience itself is SO polished, and SO unlike anything else out there. UC games are an experience. An incredible experience.

well for the record there were some levels in Uncharted 2 that I was able to complete with almost ALL stealth. If there are a ton of levels like that in this one, you're wrong here. It also helps that the melee is more dynamic in this so it would make it feel less stale.

Snipes424

So here is the thing about the Eurogamer review. If this reviewer was notoriously hard on games then I could understand the 8 completely. The problem is the same reviewer gave gundam wings an 8.............

I mean here we have a game that will most likely go down as one of the top 3 best games of the entire generation and it received the same score as Gundam wings......

something doesn't seem right to me.

kIdMuScLe said:
Well you're in luck. ND decided to make a FPS with Nathan Drake adventuring around the universe with his fellow pal Sully!
Hope you like it.

Yoboman

Deadbeat said:
But wouldnt Drake shooting muslims make the score go higher? Im confused now.
Didn't you read? Theres not enough control in shooting the muslims. Eurogamer likes to have some more choice when playing this murder sim

MechaX

Jesus Christ, people. It's just an 8. Unless Eurogamer's reviewer will personally come to your house and slap you every time you put U3 in the PS3 (or you have some odd stake in "Metacritic Bonuses"), this should not be affecting you at all.

C'mon guys, I would expect this kind of reaction out of the GameFAQs forums, but not GAF!

Snipes424 said:
So here is the thing about the Eurogamer review. If this reviewer was notoriously hard on games then I could understand the 8 completely. The problem is the same reviewer gave gundam wings an 8.............

I mean here we have a game that will most likely go down as one of the top 3 best games of the entire generation and it received the same score as Gundam wings......

something doesn't seem right to me.

... What game now?

kIdMuScLe said:
No, it's different. This time, Drake can fly using fairy wings, and he can also shoot fireballs, jump through pipes, and head stomp irate dragons in castle dungeons.

Dragon said:
You rented U2?
Bought it.
Still haven't managed to get it together and finally finish the campaign.

Hated the little I played of the multiplayer.

Not a bad game, not in the slightest. Looks like it isn't for me though.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
As much as I love the Uncharted games, some of the fanboy reactions to them really, really turn me off. Reading Eurogamer's 8/10 review just cemented my purchase. People are acting like it's a score for hits? And declaring the game a masterpiece before they played it? Jesus.

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
StuBurns said:
Quotation marks are an indication it's to be taken as ironic.
I'm not referring to the title but in general

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom