• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 3 reviews

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rikyfree

Loudninja said:
U3 mutiplayer mode is packed full of content, 3 different co-op modes and 5 competitive modes with 10 maps.
You forgot the 7 DLC map packs planned on top of modes still yet to be added and skins to come. But it's tacked on.... The fuck G4?

Loudninja

Rikyfree said:
Still needs more stopping power. But that's about it.
They are still adding some, they didn't want to do it all at one time.

Also they said they will add more custom game options in the future.

rdrr gnr

EloquentM said:
Yeah they listened and fixed a lot of things. The multiplayer finally feels good again.
I'll be giving it a genuine go upon release, but my issues aren't within the margins of patches and fixes, they are foundational disagreements.

Daaamn 94 pages. What did I miss...
lol.gif

Everyone repeat what just happened.

darkwing said:
don't worry, Bruce will save us

lastdragon.jpg

darkwing

FantasticMrFoxdie said:
I was here when that happened........at page 58.

Surely something else happened in the past 36 pages. Guess I have to go deeper. *inception horns*

from eurogamer bashing it went to Greg bashing including the reason for the divorce

web01

EloquentM said:
Yeah they listened and fixed a lot of things. The multiplayer finally feels good again.

No it just feels slightly worse than it was before.

Blindfire is still king, melee is overpowered, weapons are completely unbalanced and the perk system severely disadvantages new players. The fact they made the changes from beta 1 to beta 2 in the first place shows they have absolutely no understanding on how to balance a multiplayer game or what makes games fun.

And this has been a problem with ND going back to the U2 multiplayer changes fiasco so it is not like they have not had adequate time to sort these types of problems out.

ND can craft a great single player game but they fall way short when it comes to multi. Reading about how the development of this game was completely down to the wire makes me think multi was probably put on the backburner.

Anyway the point I am getting to is I think games should have seperate review scores for multiplayer and singleplayer because with so many releases in the last couple years the quality between the two varies wildly.

The problem is in general most reviewers simply take multiplayer as value added rather than actually examining the balance, gameplay systems, learning curve and content provided.

Thoraxes

Dragon said:
Why is he a douchebag?
SolidSnakex said:
So, now we have name calling, yet interestingly it isn't from those Uncharted fans that people are piling in to ridicule.
I'm late getting back to this (boy does this thread move super-fast), but, if you've watched any of the interviews and hands-on of what he's done at conventions over the years at IGN, you may know why I have my sentiments. Unfortunately, it was the only way I was able to watch a lot of things sometimes, and at least they did have different footage than other outlets.

Mostly it's his elitist attitude and over-hyped nature of delivery of (pretty much) "everything that isn't Sony is garbage" that ruffles my feathers the wrong way.

Also, i'm not a hardcore UC fan, but I do like the series. It's fun and I plan on picking up the 3rd one when it drops in price.

I am totally expecting a 6 or a 4 from destructoid when they squeeze out there review.

I have this theory they try to get on ether the top or bottom of metacritic when it comes to these big games and I dont think another 8 to 10 will get them any extra hits.

Pranay

Last Update of Score All Reviews covered -

IGN - 10/10
OPM UK - 10/10
Eurogamer.cz - 10/10
Eurogamer.it (Italy) - 10/10
TheSixthAxis - 10/10
PS Lifestyle - 10/10
Level Magazine - 10/10
GameReactor (Sweden) - 10/10
GameReactor (Finland) - 10/10
IncGamers - 10/10
GameBlog.fr - 10/10
Giant Bomb - 5/5
GamePro - 5/5
Loading - 10/10
Gamefreaks - 10/10
ITavisen.no - 6/6
FZ - 5/5
PSNation: A
Games.cz - 10/10
NZ Herald - 5/5
Telegraph - 5/5
PSX Extreme - 10/10

Cheat Code Central - 4.9/5
NowGamer - 9.7/10
Vandal (Spain) - 9.6/10
Video Games Zone Germany - 9.3/10.
PS Focus - 9.8

GameTrailers 9.5/10
GameInformer - 9.5/10 .
InsideDailyGaming - 9.5
Play.de - 9.5/10
IGN Germany - 9.5/10
Everyeye.it - 9.5/10
CVG - 9.5/10
1up - A
PSLife.de - 9.5/10

XGN - 9.4
4Gamers - 9.4
9lives - 9.3
Paste Magazine - 9.1

Gamespot - 9
EGM - 9
Jeuxvideo - 9/10
Metro - 9/10
Videogamer - 9/10
NZ Gamer - 9/10
Joystiq - 4.5/5
The Telegraph - 4.5/5
Edge - 9/10
Eurogamer.pt 9/10
GamesRadar - 9/10
GameReactor (Norway) - 9/10
***** - 8.9/10

G4TV/Xplay - 4/5
Eurogamer - 8/10
GamersGlobe - 8/10
GameReactor DK - 8/10
GameReactor (Germany) - 8/10

^_-

kuroshiki

Gamespot's review came from the same guy who smashed Infamous 2 score to 7.5. (which didn't make sense to me.)

I guess 9 from him (who seems biased) is a good score.

Anteater

Regulus Tera said:
Why are 4/5 reviews considered good but 8/10 are somehow average?

Like, that's not how math works. edit: also hwo the fuck do review threads get to ninety pages for god's sake

We're on a 7 to 10 scale this generation, or you could say 4 levels of Giorgio madness.

I think reviewers should go with a 9-10 scale, it's still a 10 point scale from 9.0 to 10.0, but that way nobody's feeling is hurt!

oh wait that's not what you're talking about, i just got up :lol, 4 seems closer to 5 than 8 to 10!

funkystudent said:
I am totally expecting a 6 or a 4 from destructoid when they squeeze out there review.

I have this theory they try to get on ether the top or bottom of metacritic when it comes to these big games and I dont think another 8 to 10 will get them any extra hits.

I doubt that'll happen since they aren't allowing Sterling to review it.

Raonak

Banned
Anteater said:
We're on a 7 to 10 scale this generation, or you could say 4 levels of Giorgio madness.

I think reviewers should go with a 9-10 scale, it's still a 10 point scale from 9.0 to 10.0, but that way nobody's feeling is hurt!

oh wait that's not what you're talking about, i just got up :lol, 4 seems closer to 5 than 8 to 10!
I would say it's just a 5 point scale. Good games get good scores, thus a better game should technically get a higher score = lots of inflation. most sites are actually using a 5 point scale.

6(or below)- Bad
7- Meh
8- Good
9- Great
10- Awesome

thats why a 4/5 appears more than a 8/10. because an 8/10 is really the equivilent of a 3/5.

This thread is a 10/10 by the way. hours of entertainment in 1 thread.

Anteater

GDJustin said:
2 and 3 feel about the same, in terms of pushing you from one set piece to the next, making scenarios that look fantastic (and dangerous) that are actually fairly hard to fail. Also punishing players for not doing thing in the way that ND wants.

They're both roller coaster rides.

3 just happens to be a better ride, with twists and turns that are even more unpredictable. If you've avoided spoilers, Uncharted 3 will surprise the hell out of you, chapter after chapter. There are... hm. I can't even give you any hints. I'll just say that Uncharted will go in directions players aren't expecting :D

But man... I don't see why ND can't (or refuses) to flesh out the platforming. It is literally mindless. One path, nearly impossible to fail. No timing like Tomb Raider, no grip meter... it's weird - the gunplay is actually fairly challenging. So why can't the platforming be dynamic too? Even modern Tomb Raiders have better traversal/climbing systems.

Edit: To be super clear, if you're like me and count U2 as one of the best games this generation and one of your favorite games every, U3 will deliver on your hype and more. But if you're an Uncharted detractor, if the "cinematic experience" doesn't sway you, then you'll not be won over this time, either.

Some gamers can lean back and go on the ride. Others can't.

Just read this by the way, maybe I should quote this for the new page, doesn't seem like it's worse than 2. I didn't have much problems with the platforming in the past, as long as it was mixed well, they were just fillers to me. Kind of like platformings in action games being kind of just there to fill the traveling parts, as long as they're not distracting, long and boring as hell, but yea I see it as a problem for others, not everyone's tolerant level is the same.

Wait there is a site that has a review scale of a 6 outta 6? Lol what? Almost as dumb as thise sites that use the Skip it, Rent it or Buy it scale.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Anteater said:

What's up with this "this generation" bullshit?
It was a rhetorical question; I know full well why people are whiners.

sosage

wtf has happened to the review scale? Who fucked this up so bad that an entire generation of NeoGAF thinks 7's and 8's are bad scores? Whoever you are, I hope you're fucking ashamed of yourself.

kuroshiki said:
I guess 9 from him (who seems biased) is a good score.

I want to believe you're being sarcastic...but my radar is overloaded.

Luthos

Anteater said:
Just read this by the way, maybe I should quote this for the new page, doesn't seem like it's worse than 2. I didn't have much problems with the platforming in the past, as long as it was mixed well, they were just fillers to me. Kind of like platformings in action games being kind of just there to fill the traveling parts, as long as they're not distracting, long and boring as hell, but yea I see it as a problem for others, not everyone's tolerant level is the same.
That's basically what I was expecting/hoping for.

A game that if you love 2, then this one won't fail to blow your mind.

But yea, I don't really see it as sucking in those that didn't like 2 or what it did.

Facism

Loudninja said:
U3 mutiplayer mode is packed full of content, 3 different co-op modes and 5 competitive modes with 11 maps.

Co-op modes:
Adventure
Arena
Hunters

Competitive modes:
Team Deathmatch
Free for all
2vs2vs2
Plunder
Hardcore mode

Gametrailer's video review said over a dozen maps.

It's not like Naughty Dog doesn't know how to make platformers. They were doing it for two generations and then...stopped. Now it's "traversal". I mean I get that the casual audience sucks at 3D platformers but they seriously can't be any better at third person shooters can they?

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Anteater said:

Luthos said:
That's basically what I was expecting/hoping for.

A game that if you love 2, then this one won't fail to blow your mind.

But yea, I don't really see it as sucking in those that didn't like 2 or what it did.

3 is a better game than 2, and 2 is probably my favorite console game released this generation.

So... yeah.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
Square Triangle said:
Wait there is a site that has a review scale of a 6 outta 6? Lol what? Almost as dumb as thise sites that use the Skip it, Rent it or Buy it scale.
Actually, it's 6/6 so that they can squeeze out a 9 score. It's impossible to do that in a 5 out of 5 scale.

Anteater

Regulus Tera said:
What's up with this "this generation" bullshit?
It was a rhetorical question; I know full well why people are whiners.

Because I didn't really start paying attention to them until this generation :(

Yea probably wasn't so much different than before.

Luthos

GDJustin said:
3 is a better game than 2, and 2 is probably my favorite console game released this generation.

So... yeah.
Your posts probably hyped me more than any review in this thread has.

Because 2 is my favorite game on this gen. And if 3 is better... than oh my, I can't wait. @_@

Maikrobi

Neo Member
And another one:

Uncharted 3-Review - 93/100 - Videogameszone (German)

+ Audio and visuals unrivaled
+ Nearly perfect presentation
+ Nice mixture of shooting, climbing and puzzles
+ Challenging puzzles
+ Cinematic characters and story

- AI and Shooting not that brilliant
- Splitscreen-Mode is limited
- Compared to Uncharted 2 there are nearly no innovations

Hyuga

Banned
Square Triangle said:
Why is it dumb? It's awesome. It's like the european school rating system.
1 (A) and 6 (F)
That's only logically. 1 to 10 is bullshit!

KennyLinder said:
Eurogamer - 8
Yes, and?

TripOpt55

Did they say about how long the campaign is or how long the adventure co-op levels are/how many there are? Kind of curious is all and I am trying to not read reviews.

Mooreberg

is sharpening a shovel and digging a ditch
Hyuga said:
Why is it dumb? It's awesome. It's like the european school rating system.
1 (A) and 6 (F)
That's only logically. 1 to 10 is bullshit!
There is no "E" for a number to correlate to, so it makes substantially less sense than using a 5 point grading scale.

Anyway, the funniest thing about this thread is that the attack on an editor's personal life didn't even come from people who were mad about low scores. Maybe somebody can provide selective quoting to chronicle this outrage against humanity.

Anteater

Crewnh said:
It's not like Naughty Dog doesn't know how to make platformers. They were doing it for two generations and then...stopped. Now it's "traversal". I mean I get that the casual audience sucks at 3D platformers but they seriously can't be any better at third person shooters can they?

I think the platforming were merely just there as distractions and fill in those gaps where a player has to do their "traveling", just like how the puzzles were used the same way not to get in the player's way (heard they actually improved the puzzles)

I'm not a big fan of platformers though, so I'm not sure how they could improve it and can't imagine how the improved system would work. Making it more dynamic would probably make the gun fight and chase scenes more complicated and you might get slowed down and just die. The gun fights were always the more important part, they probably didn't want people to fall left and right while getting over an obstacle to shoot someone.

I don't mind improvements in that aspect, because I do think it could be long and boring if it's overdone.

SmokyDave

More than 4,500 posts discussing other peoples opinion on a game. I'm so proud of you crazy cats.

Are there any particularly juicy bits for me to dip in and read? Any bannings? Meltdowns?

Sneds

Square Triangle said:

Marking a game out of 6 is only as arbitrary as marking it out of 5, 10 or 100.

SmokyDave said:
More than 4,500 posts discussing other peoples opinion on a game. I'm so proud of you crazy cats.
ibgueBrxMAVX7a.gif

Luthos

Hanmik said:
are you guys still waiting for some reviews..? or are you just spending time in here untill the OT is up..?
I dunno man, it's almost turned into a normal discussion thread. Almost.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom