• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 3 reviews

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sneds said:
Marking a game out of 6 is just as arbitrary as marking it out of 5, 10 or 100.

I disagree. Is it also as arbitrary as making it out of pi? Or maybe 2^10-1? I mean they're just numbers right? No review scale in the history of review scales has ever used 6 points. Ok, that might be pushing it, but I'm pretty sure the definition of "arbitrary" is "acting according to one's own will, without regard for laws or accepted norms".

Regulus Tera said:
Why are 4/5 reviews considered good but 8/10 are somehow average?

Like, that's not how math works. edit: also hwo the fuck do review threads get to ninety pages for god's sake

Because the bottom 6 numbers of a 10 point scale are almost never used, but only the lowest number of a 5 point scale is almost never used. So on a 10 point scale, ratings most frequently fall between 7 and 10 (equivalent to 70-100), and on a 5 point scale, ratings most frequently fall between 2 and 5 (equivalent to 40-100).

Therefore, when you give a game a 4/5 you're giving it 80 on a scale from 40-90, and (80-40)/(90-40) = 80%.

But when you gave a 90/100 you're giving it 90 on a scale from 70-100, and (90-70)/(100-70) = 2/3 = 66.67%.

You can even be more precise, and consider the fact that the 5 point scale rates in halves, so there are actually only 7 possible values (if you exclude 0 and .5 star ratings due to the negligible frequency). 2, 2.5, 3, 3.5, 4, 4.5, and 5. So if you map these to the interval 1-7 then 4/5 is is about 85.7%.

So 4/5 = 85.7%, and 8/10 = 66.67%

Sneds said:
Yep. Just numbers.

Sorry, but you're being ridiculous if you think a 100 point scale is as arbitrary as a pi point scale.

Sneds

cpp_is_king said:
Sorry, but you're being ridiculous if you think a 100 point scale is as arbitrary as a pi point scale.

There's nothing inherent in the number 100 that makes it good for reviewing games. We're just used to the number 100 being used. If everyone used pi and I suggested they use 100 you'd think I was being equally ridiculous.
iQ6ou02shkXUZ.gif

KingDizzi

Banned
We've not had a carnival of stupid for some time, this thread has been entertaining with people getting pissed with a 93 Meta, also fanboys calling fanboys fanboys. Fingers crossed we get at least one more this year, SS is the only game left which I can think of that would cause havok with an 8/10. Needs to happen.

Sneds said:
There's nothing inherent in the number 100 that makes it good for reviewing games. We're just used to the number 100 being used. If everyone used pi and I suggested they use 100 you'd think I was being equally ridiculous.

But we don't use pi and we do use 100, therefore by the definition of the word arbitrary, a pi point scale is more arbitrary than a 100 point scale

KingDizzi said:
We've not had a carnival of stupid for some time, this thread has been entertaining. Fingers crossed we get at least one more this year, SS is the only game left which I can think of that would cause havok with an 8/10. Needs to happen.

A Skyward Sword meltdown thread would easily dwarf this thread.

IGN: 8.5 "Not innovative enough. Nintendo could learn from Naughty Dog."

I wish they retained their 100-point scale. The 7.9 meltdown was the closest thing to the 8.8 meltdown IGN has ever had. Besides the delayed "Oscar-worthy" one, that is.

SmokyDave

zon said:
Jesus christ. If only rampant fanboyism was bannable..

So much fucking stupidity it's almost unbelievable.
I fucking love this one...

Is anybody else F5ing the metacritic page every minute to see if the score changes or is it just me

It just says "I have gone off the rails, please medicate me for my own safety and the safety of others".

Maikrobi said:
And another one:

Uncharted 3-Review - 93/100 - Videogameszone (German)

+ Audio and visuals unrivaled
+ Nearly perfect presentation
+ Nice mixture of shooting, climbing and puzzles
+ Challenging puzzles
+ Cinematic characters and story

- AI and Shooting not that brilliant
- Splitscreen-Mode is limited
- Compared to Uncharted 2 there are nearly no innovations

Does this mean that they are brilliant, but not THAT brilliant? Brilliance doesn't seem like a negative...

acm2000

whats so controversial about the EG score? the problems they list have always been a problem with the series, 8/10 is not a bad score.

Thoraxes

Imp the Dimp said:
This thread pulls GAF's overall quality down. A disgrace.

Can't people enjoy a game when it's not rated 98 at Metacritic?
How do people enjoy games lower than that? I know I definitely can't.
Kidding.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Beam said:
I can´t wait for your reaction in the Zelda review thread.

I can't wait either. I think i'll shed a tear when it becomes one of the best rated games ever.

jonnyp

Imp the Dimp said:
This thread pulls GAF's overall quality down. A disgrace.

Can't people enjoy a game when it's not rated 98 at Metacritic?

You really think they won't enjoy it? Come on now.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I've been avoiding this thread but I'm now glad I came in to see that catch all post by mama robotnik, hilarious stuff. I especially love the few like

When a game comes this close to perfection you have to come up with silly reasons to criticize it.
Fuck the score scale is really messed up. How can Uncharted 2 get 96 metacritic and Uncharted 3 92? Makes ZERO sense. It's better in every single way, yet is worse reviewed.

You haven't played it. Some people need to get a goddamn grip.

Sneds

cpp_is_king said:
But we don't use pi and we do use 100, therefore by the definition of the word arbitrary, a pi point scale is more arbitrary than a 100 point scale

I don't agree with your definition of the word arbitrary.

6Asrb.gif

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
Seems like there's some confusion with the scores from LEVEL and Loading. Loading is basically the online version (+ community) of the magazine LEVEL. The review posted on Loading is the same review found in LEVEL, so you might as well remove the Loading review in the OP.

Also, the review in LEVEL actually had a second opinion. First reviewer gave it 10/10, second reviewer gave it an 8.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Wow, this thread's blown up in page count like someone poured gasoline over it. Is that Eurogamer review really that bad?

TheSeks said:
Wow, this thread's blown up in page count like someone poured gasoline over it. Is that Eurogamer review really that bad?

People stopped complaining about the Eurogamer review a long time ago. It's now mostly just people reposting Mama Robotniks quotes and complaining about the complainers.

Jimrpg

I can't believe this 'review' thread is going to make 100 pages on gaf....

thats a lot of ppl with first world problems

TheSeks said:

The first 2,500* posts were posters jacking off to the prose IGN and Co. dedicated to Naughty Dog in all the perfect or nearly perfect reviews. The next thousand* were those same posters wishing whomever wrote the Eurogamer review would die or get fired. The last 1,200* posts are Sane-GAF mercilessly mocking those posters.

Rough estimates

Segnit

Banned
ConradCervantes said:
The first 2,500* posts were posters jacking off to the prose IGN and Co. dedicated to Naughty Dog in all the perfect or nearly perfect reviews. The next thousand* were those same posters wishing whomever wrote the Eurogamer review would die or get fired. The last 1,200* posts are Sane-GAF mercilessly mocking those posters.

Rough estimates

I know this is not 100% accurate but thank you for the summery. I feel this kind of information should always be tracked and updated in the OP.

Yoboman

I'd actually say the people legitimately crying about the Eurogamer review was short lived before everybody mocked them for about 10 hours

Amir0x

Banned
hahaha @ the reaction to the Eurogamer review. Sounds exactly like my experience with Uncharted 1 and 2, so that sounds like the review to believe to me.

TheSeks said:

No, it's probably the best UC3 review available. It's entirely fair and well written.

It's just that gaf appears to be overrun by complete fucking idiots.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom