• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 3 reviews

Status
Not open for further replies.

Salazar

Gustav said:
make fun of a persons blog

I think the general public sees making fun of blogs as well within the bounds of socially permissible comment.

I'm faintly embarrassed for anyone who doesn't think that, really.

tha_devil

Amir0x said:
hahaha @ the reaction to the Eurogamer review. Sounds exactly like my experience with Uncharted 1 and 2, so that sounds like the review to believe to me.
And what would you rate gears 3?

Although for me uncharted is a 9/10 or maybe 10/10 game, i can understand if u think its an 8 game. But if u compare it to other 8/10 reviews on eurogamer, i think this is very unfair to uncharted. With it unmatched production values.

Gustav

Banned
Salazar said:
I think the general public sees making fun of blogs as well within the bounds of socially permissible comment.

Great you picked out the one thing you think is totally acceptable - and ignored the rest.

Edit: ah, some nice condescension edited in. Well, I'm slightly embarrassed for people who have asian woman as their avatars. Pretty easy, eh?

KAOz

Short bus special
tha_devil said:

Although for me uncharted is a 9/10 or maybe 10/10 game, i can understand if u think its an 8 game. But if u compare it to other 8/10 reviews on eurogamer, i think this is very unfair to uncharted. With it unmatched production values.

You know, I am a huge Uncharted fan, but production values ain't everything really. Sure, it's a big part of it, but if it's really as linear and under constant control as they say, then I understand them.

It might have huge amazing setpieces, awesome voiceacting and everything, but if you can't steer off path without dying then yes, I can see why some people have problems with it.

Jarmel

Banned
StuBurns said:
GTA4 is 98, higher than both SMGs, however I wasn't really counting the Wii given the fact it has virtually no serious third party support, but I guess that is true of that one platform, it's not of the other two though.

98 - GTA4
96 - Batman AC
96 - Uncharted 2
95 - LittleBigPlanet
95 - Red Dead Redemption
95 - Portal 2
94 - Modern Warfare 2
94 - Modern Warfare

94 - BioShock
94 - Mass Effect 2

98 - GTA4
96 - BioShock
96 - The Orange Box
96 - Mass Effect 2
95 - Batman AC
95 - Portal 2

94 - Gears of War
94 - Oblivion
94 - Halo 3
94 - Modern Warfare

You really need to label which scores are for which platform. Such as PS3 ME2 got 94 and 360 ME2 got 96.

Mr_Zombie

tha_devil said:
But if u compare it to other 8/10 reviews on eurogamer, i think this is very unfair to uncharted. With it unmatched production values.

You see, this is where score system as we know it fails. Because according to your logic reviewers shouldn't give indie games good scores (even if the game is amazing and addictive) because those games automatically lose due to lower production values than most AAA games.

Also, why do you need to compare games with similar grades. Each game is different, each has different cons and pros, you can't compare them based just on a single number.

KAOz said:
You know, I am a huge Uncharted fan, but production values ain't everything really. Sure, it's a big part of it, but if it's really as linear and under constant control as they say, then I understand them.

It might have huge amazing setpieces, awesome voiceacting and everything, but if you can't steer off path without dying then yes, I can see why some people have problems with it.

Unless you have an open-world game or some sort of hub-based adventure game, it's going to be linear, everything from Uncharted 3 to Gears 3 to BF3 to the next MW are all linear, I can understand that some people don't like that game type, but I can't even imagine the kind of costs involved if one were to make Uncharted 3 into a much more open experience, even the last HALO was much more focused and linear, with the expectations being so high on production values, I doubt it's possible anymore.

Mr_Zombie said:
He wasn't a "whiny little bitch", he just disliked the type of game Uncharted is, ie. highly linear interactive movie that keeps player strictly within a script. There are many linear games that still allows you to "play" the game; where platforming does require skills, where you have to explore the levels (not only as a side quest to hunt for treasures, but as a main aspect of the game) and think when solving puzzles. As someone already said in the thread, most games are linear, the main difference is how wide corridors are.

eurogamer review totally dismiss the gameplay portion of the game though, he talk as if the whole game is about setpieces. he didn't talk about the gunplay/combat, level design, enemy ai, which is the main gameplay portion of uncharted. he mention the shooting is robust in one paragraph and that's it. compare to gamespot review that go at length why the gunplay is great, how the level design is good and encourage multiple approach, there's 'freedom' in how you tackle a shootout.

Uncharted has always been a shooter first and everything else second, but some people keep denying it.

SmokyDave

Gustav said:
Great you picked out the one thing you think is totally acceptable - and ignored the rest.

Edit: ah, some nice condescension edited in. Well, I'm slightly embarrassed for people who have asian woman as their avatars. Pretty easy, eh?
Just say the word, Salazar....

I promise they won't find the body this time.

StuBurns

Banned
Jarmel said:
You really need to label which scores are for which platform. Such as PS3 ME2 got 94 and 360 ME2 got 96.
I would have thought the fact both lists contain some exclusives would have made it pretty easy to see which list belongs to which platform.

Pranay

Callibretto said:
eurogamer review totally dismiss the gameplay portion of the game though, he talk as if the whole game is about setpieces. he didn't talk about the gunplay/combat, level design, enemy ai, which is the main gameplay portion of uncharted. he mention the shooting is robust in one paragraph and that's it. compare to gamespot review that go at length why the gunplay is great, how the level design is good and encourage multiple approach, there's 'freedom' in how you tackle a shootout.

Uncharted has always been a shooter first and everything else second, but some people keep denying it.

This ^

Abooie

Banned
tha_devil said:

What's Gears 3 got to do with the price of fish?

Carcetti

The whole thread is just depressing. A 8/10 for a blockbuster is now controversial?

People don't want reviews or opinions, they just want rubber stamp to approve of their purchases. It's a known fact, but rarely do we see it appear so blatantly.

I haven't played the game yet but I'm pretty sure i will enjoy it if it's good despite someone else in the world not going crazy over it.

KAOz

Short bus special
Carcetti said:
The whole thread is just depressing. A 8/10 for a blockbuster is now controversial?

People don't want reviews or opinions, they just want rubber stamp to approve of their purchases. It's a known fact, but rarely do we see it appear so blatantly.

I haven't played the game yet but I'm pretty sure i will enjoy it if it's good despite someone else in the world not going crazy over it.

I agree with you.

This whole thread is right up there with the "Zelda: TP Got and 8.8"-thread. Sad really.

iratA said:
Anti-spoiler GAF assemble: I'm busting my left tit to see or read a review of Uncharted 3. Can someone point me to some of the least spoiler filled reviews out there. Just for reference I've seen
the start of the cargo plane and chateau sequences,
and thats about it.

Hmm, the Eurogamer review actually had very few spoilery bits.

Ledsen

Carcetti said:

Indeed. People who complain about the 8/10 are perfectly happy to destroy any and all integrity in games writing just to keep the metascore of their favorite game up.

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
Callibretto said:

Agreed completely, just finished reading the eurogamer review and felt the same, he spent way too much time critiquing the strict linearity of 'some' of the set-pieces and almost insinuated that the whole game was like that, he hardly spent any time on the core mechanics of the game, I really feel that some reviewers struggle with games like this as it's always easier to 'pad out' a review with mundane criticisms than it is to explain what makes the game good.

That being said I certainly don't have a problem with 8/10.

spekkeh

Banned
Mr_Zombie said:
He wasn't a "whiny little bitch", he just disliked the type of game Uncharted is, ie. highly linear interactive movie that keeps player strictly within a script. There are many linear games that still allows you to "play" the game; where platforming does require skills, where you have to explore the levels (not only as a side quest to hunt for treasures, but as a main aspect of the game) and think when solving puzzles. As someone already said in the thread, most games are linear, the main difference is how wide corridors are.
The way I read it, it's more the illusion of autonomy that games should have and, according to Parkin, Uncharted failed a number of times in. Walk in the wrong direction and suddenly topple over and die just because you went past an invisible wall. I can totally see why this would break the immersion, which in turn is important for a game such as this. It's a delicate line and in the opinion of this reviewer, in his playthrough, it crossed that line a couple of times. So, not a perfect experience (that, and maybe a 'simple' blockbuster ride), still a great game, 8/10.

spekkeh

Banned
lowrider007 said:
I really feel that some reviewers struggle with games like this as it's always easier to 'pad out' a review with mundane criticisms than it is to explain what makes the game good.
If it's difficult to gush over a game's good points and easy to criticize, then game critics must be the world's greatest journalists by a mile.

Wallach

Timber said:
Some unwavering misconstructions here. He wasn't criticizing the game for being linear.

I tried to explain that earlier and nobody even noticed. I chalked it up to having a glass full of wine and none in the bottle on my end.

lowrider007

Timber said:
Some unwavering misconstructions here. He wasn't criticizing the game for being linear.

really? I think I must of read a different review then,

"But it also reveals another truth. Uncharted 3 is the most exciting game in the world, but only until you deviate from the script. Even in this chase the conflict between the developer's theatrical choreography and player-controlled interactions is clear. In order to ensure each set-piece is set off correctly, the game commits the cardinal sin of insinuating you have full control of your character, but in fact tugging you towards trigger points - making sure you're in the right spot to tumble over the bonnet of that braking car, for example.

Likewise, mistimed leaps are given a gentle physics-defying boost to reduce the staccato rhythm of having to restart a section. It's entirely understandable given what the developer is attempting to achieve - an unbroken flow of action that leads to climax - but, at the same time, beneath the spectacle there's a nagging feeling that your presence in the scene is an irritation rather than a preference.

Your freedom of choice risks ruining the shot. Indeed, throughout the game, if you jump into an area you are not supposed to visit, Drake will crumple on the floor dead, Naughty Dog switching role from movie director to vindictive god. That is not your predestined path: Game Over."

spekkeh said:
If it's difficult to gush over a game's good points and easy to criticize, then game critics must be the world's greatest journalists by a mile.

I'm saying it's difficult to do it well, it's always easier to criticise, almost any jornouslist will tell you that.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Haven't read the Eurogamer review, or any other review outside of the Edge one, and I really don't care to.

I LOVE the Uncharted series, and the high quality that's put into each release. I know I'm going to love the third game, and any version with ND at the helm.

It's going to be tough holding off on this until Christmas morning (more like Christmas night when company leaves, and the house is cleaned up), but I've gotta at least have one game I'm truly hyped for waiting for me under the tree.

I can only hope that the Vita game is given as much care and attention as it's console brothers.

kneePat

Mr_Zombie said:
You see, this is where score system as we know it fails. Because according to your logic reviewers shouldn't give indie games good scores (even if the game is amazing and addictive) because those games automatically lose due to lower production values than most AAA games.

Also, why do you need to compare games with similar grades. Each game is different, each has different cons and pros, you can't compare them based just on a single number.

Exactly this. The infantile logic that your favorite game got the same score (an 8, not even a bad score) as a game you don't like doesn't mean they are the same or one is worse, or someone is being unfair to one of those games. They are not attacking or criticizing a game with a number by saying it is equal to all other games with the same score but actually they're putting any shortcomings the game may have into a numerical value, please understand this.

These reviews are opinions and the scores may be given by different reviewers, but ultimately it doesn't matter because they felt the game deserved exactly what it gets and NOT what the consensus maybe, they even go into detail as to why they feel that way.

The most preposterous Uncharted 3 review is not Eurogamer's but IGN's because it does a piss poor job of justifying the score it was awarded. You can not call someone's opinion as false or unfair or baseless (they have played the game) because it is quite petty and purely idiotic.

Mama Robotnik said:
Just been catching up. Wow at some of the participants in this thread.

Even in your most intense, eight-out-of-ten induced fanatic delirium over a game none of you have played, I still love you GAF.

EDIT : More from the thread from before and after this post:

EDIT 2 - further comments from the thread:

and everything on this page onwards treating the oft-lambasted IGN as gospel when it produces scores judged as acceptable by those who haven't played the bloody game yet.

Book marking this post, because it is absolutely hilarious.

Timber

lowrider007 said:

"But it also reveals another truth. Uncharted 3 is the most exciting game in the world, but only until you deviate from the script. Even in this chase the conflict between the developer's theatrical choreography and player-controlled interactions is clear. In order to ensure each set-piece is set off correctly, the game commits the cardinal sin of insinuating you have full control of your character, but in fact tugging you towards trigger points - making sure you're in the right spot to tumble over the bonnet of that braking car, for example.

Likewise, mistimed leaps are given a gentle physics-defying boost to reduce the staccato rhythm of having to restart a section. It's entirely understandable given what the developer is attempting to achieve - an unbroken flow of action that leads to climax - but, at the same time, beneath the spectacle there's a nagging feeling that your presence in the scene is an irritation rather than a preference.

Your freedom of choice risks ruining the shot. Indeed, throughout the game, if you jump into an area you are not supposed to visit, Drake will crumple on the floor dead, Naughty Dog switching role from movie director to vindictive god. That is not your predestined path: Game Over."
You can fill your game with branching paths and still have jump assist and deadly invisible walls. These are not so much problems inherent to linearity (they're not shared by most perfectly linear games) as problems caused by the cinematic style. He writes that it's cinematic gaming taken to an extreme: The developers direct the player and yell cut whenever he messes up slightly. You can make a game that's 100% linear without these added restrictions. It's been done before.

SmokyDave

lowrider007 said:

I'm saying it's difficult to do it well, it's always easier to criticise, almost any jornouslist will tell you that.
This sounds like a very good reason to not give the game a 10. I can't see this happening in a 'perfect' game.

I'm sure many, many people will still get 10/10 enjoyment from the game.

SmokyDave said:
This sounds like a very good reason to not give the game a 10. I can't see this happening in a 'perfect' game.

I'm sure many, many people will still get 10/10 enjoyment from the game.

Is really not that different from invisible walls... If the game is just as linear as previous installments, then I am perfectly fine with that.

Next gen is when I think they will take what they have learned from the Jak series (seamless open world) and combine it with some elements from Uncharted...at least thats what I am hoping for

lowrider007

Timber said:
You can fill your game with branching paths and still have jump assist and deadly invisible walls. These are not so much problems inherent to linearity (they're not shared by most perfectly linear games) as problems caused by the cinematic style. He writes that it's cinematic gaming taken to an extreme: The developers direct the player and yell cut whenever he messes up slightly. You can make a game that's 100% linear without these added restrictions. It's been done before.

Yes you can, but it won't have the same 'interactive' cinematic scope as some of the set pieces in Uncharted, they are done like that for a reason, they want you to feel the whole dramatic scene in one take, I agree it may not be a great method but I think for the majority it achieves what it sets out to do, Uncharted is all about cinematic moments, it's what makes the game unique imo, it wouldn't be the same game otherwise.

SmokyDave

nelsonroyale said:
Is really not that different from invisible walls... If the game is just as linear as previous installments, then I am perfectly fine with that.

Next gen is when I think they will take what they have learned from the Jak series (seamless open world) and combine it with some elements from Uncharted...at least thats what I am hoping for
I agree absolutely. It's not something that would bother me, nor has the linearity of the previous games bothered me.

I'm not a games reviewer though!

Hyuga said:
You must be joking, right?
No. A perfect game would be perfect. 10/10, 100%, Perfect.

8/10 is still great.

Wallach

lowrider007 said:
Yes you can, but it won't have the same 'interactive' cinematic scope as some of the set pieces in Uncharted, they have done like that for a reason, they want you to feel the whole dramatic scene in one take, I agree it may not be the great method but I think for the majority it achieves what it sets out to do, Uncharted is all about cinematic moments, it's what makes the game unique imo, it wouldn't be the same game otherwise.

I imagine the reviewer agrees, as he gave the game pretty high marks. But I also think it is definitely something that bears mentioning in a review; whether or not the interactivity being so frequently trivialized or sidelined impacts the experience negatively - and by how much - is going to come down to the individual. Which the reviewer in fact does fall under.

Timber

lowrider007 said:
Yes you can, but it won't have the same 'interactive' cinematic scope as some of the set pieces in Uncharted, they have done like that for a reason, they want you to feel the whole dramatic scene in one take, I agree it may not be the great method but I think for the majority it achieves what it sets out to do, Uncharted is all about cinematic moments, it's what makes the game unique imo, it wouldn't be the same game otherwise.
Yeah, and he states in his review that some people will appreciate this more than others. I mean, he says that when it all comes together, it's the most exciting game in the world. He just has some misgivings about the man behind the curtain.

spekkeh

Banned
I'm a big fan of linear games and a huge proponent of streamlining. But streamlining should serve to let the player walk into the intended path volitionally (or at least make him think he does), not force the player to do it. I haven't played the game yet, but at least in theory I can see where the reviewer is coming from. Incidentally, it's what I really like about some of the setpieces in the beginning of Batman. For instance, you get shot by Two-Face, and I thought that was because I didn't dodge correctly, because it happened during a fight; of course the same thing happens to everyone that plays the game.

Timber said:

His complaint, as written in the review, is more than that. He expects a level of freedom really few games give you (I can't even remember one now).

I admit I have not played Uncharted 3's campaign, but I find hard to believe that it would be any different than Uncharted 2 in terms of "driven" set pieces. If it happens to be as big of a deal as he tries to paint, then he would be more than correct to complain.
But his justifications are simply not there. I could substitute the name Uncharted and they would work for a whole gamut of games.

And if you ignore that, his review comes as awkward, because that's more than half of his text. What about the acting, the story pace, the mechanics? He takes 1 paragraph to barely address this. Then he finishes talking about the multiplayer in such a uninterested manner.

It may be a well written piece as in english use, but as an actual review, not by a longshot.

But that's actually way too common in videogame journalism, so no surprises there.

FeD.nL

Hey guys,

Reading on some other forums that sony send out a letter to retailers telling them that the game can be sold the 27th, any truth in that?

Timber

cutmeamango said:
But his justifications are simply not there. I could substitute the name Uncharted and they would work for a whole gamut of games.
They are there, and I'm sure you could. Those games would be equally deserving of similar criticism.

Tom Penny

lowrider007 said:
Your freedom of choice risks ruining the shot. Indeed, throughout the game, if you jump into an area you are not supposed to visit, Drake will crumple on the floor dead, Naughty Dog switching role from movie director to vindictive god. That is not your predestined path: Game Over."[/I]

That's lame as fuck.

SmokyDave said:
No. A perfect game would be perfect. 10/10, 100%, Perfect.

8/10 is still great.
Maybe with a hundred point scale, but Eurogamer only does whole numbers and if they required absolute perfection for a 10 they'd never give one. They gave Uncharted 2 one, which presumably has the same flaw of dying when you jump to certain places you're not supposed to go (something that's been in the series since the first game).

Different reviewers, I'm sure. Most of the problems he mentions in the review have been in Uncharted all along, and indeed in practically every game that shoots for a similar sense of cinematic-ness. You can't do Uncharted-esque setpieces and have extensive player agency at the same time; those things are opposites. To start harping about it at this point in the generation when pretty much every gamer is familiar with them just feels silly. Fully half the review could have been replaced with the sentence "Yo it's Uncharted".

matrix-cat said:
Different reviewers, I'm sure. Most of the problems he mentions in the review have been in Uncharted all along, and indeed in practically every game that shoots for a similar sense of cinematic-ness. You can't do Uncharted-esque setpieces and have extensive player agency at the same time; those things are opposites. To start harping about it at this point in the generation when pretty much every gamer is familiar with them just feels silly. Fully half the review could have been replaced with the sentence "Yo it's Uncharted".

This was one of the criticisms aimed at Gears 3 in the IW podcast. Seems a little... late?

Tom Penny said:
That's lame as fuck.
Uncharted 2 is already like that, during traversal and climbing, if you didn't jump to the intended path, you tend to fall and die, that said, generally, ND do a very good job pointing out where you need to go, so most of the time, you're not going to jump blindly and fall dead because it's the wrong direction, and even if you did fall and die, the checkpoint is very generous so you don't lose that much time replaying that part again.

now I don't know if Uncharted 3 does a good job or not in showing where you need to go, it could be too vague that lead to a lot of unintended death, but if it is that bad, other website and magazine reviews haven't found it an issue since they didn't mention it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom