• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 4: A Thief's End Multiplayer |OT| Swinging To Victory

Javin98

Banned
Nah, dedicated servers cost a lot of money compared to writing some code...
Ugh, ridiculous. This game might end up selling 10 million copies and most of the players who will still be playing it after years will be focused on the multiplayer side, yet they can't invest in dedicated servers.

Regarding the white plug:

Yesterday I was playing with someone from Australia (Melbourne IIRC). I was the party leader. We were being matched against Arabs (KSA region) in Ranked (it's very rare to find 4-bar players these days) and he kept seeing the white plug. He has a 100 Mbps connection and his PS4 is wired. Hell, he even did a PSN speedtest and he got like 80/30 Mbps (down/up).

I didn't see the white plug, but I saw some weird "phenomena" (one player was flickering all the fucking time <-- does the white plug apply to him or not?). The host must have also been from KSA, because everything (revives etc.) seemed to suffer from severe latency.

As we all know, SBMM increases latency. I did some research and I found out that increased latency can decrease throughput (real speed), so there's definitely a correlation between SBMM and the white plug frequency for some people:

https://filipv.net/2013/06/19/effects-of-latency-and-packet-loss-on-tcp-throughput/

ND, please ditch SBMM at all costs and go back to 100% ping-based MM. You're screwing players with good connections. Nerfing the white plug (again and again) will NOT improve the matchmaking quality, therefore it's not an appropriate solution.

Josh378

Played some dude who was owning my team with a silenced shotgun (really?). Went to my pistole build and had an epic battles with him 1v1 after four games. Best battle I've had in a long time. Joined his team, proceeded to piss off the other team before logging off. Pistole >>> Shotgun.

ron_bato

Played some dude who was owning my team with a silenced shotgun (really?). Went to my pistole build and had an epic battles with him 1v1 after four games. Best battle I've had in a long time. Joined his team, proceeded to piss off the other team before logging off. Pistole >>> Shotgun.

I've not seen very many shotgun users (don't really use it myself), but from what I gather, you'd have a lot of trouble finding too many guns worse than the shotgun.

Josh378

I've not seen very many shotgun users (don't really use it myself), but from what I gather, you'd have a lot of trouble finding too many guns worse than the shotgun.

Problem is, Pistole should never win vs shotgun in equal skill at close range. Shotgun needs a bit more range with two shots = down mid range and one shot down up close under 5 feet.

Uuuuuuhhhhhhmmm... what the fuck?...

Was just in a game where we were tied at like, 36-36 and then the score suddenly went to 24-37 or whatever on their next KO.

wut.

Horohoro

I feel like im never gonna get that damn master hat... tried a few games again lost 4 in a row. About to derank to gold 2 again if I lose 2 more.... I cant even hit platinum :/...

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
Hello Community,

We pushed a live update yesterday to fix some bugs and exploits on all the levels.

Multiplayer

Level bug fixes

Details of the live update for yesterday.

EDIT:

According to sintax (ND dev), the RPG is the second most used power weapon in UC4 in general, while it ranks 3rd for dedicated players. lol

Javin98

Banned
I'm going to take a guess and say the matchmaking and increased latency in TDM is still not fixed as of the live patch .028. I really hope that it gets fixed when I return to the MP in two weeks' time.

I'm going to take a guess and say the matchmaking and increased latency in TDM is still not fixed as of the live patch .028. I really hope that it gets fixed when I return to the MP in two weeks' time.
ND has too much pride to revert to a previous patch. Every ND game has its "UC2 1.05" moment.

Javin98

Banned
ND has too much pride to revert to a previous patch. Every ND game has its "UC2 1.05" moment.
Yep, shame. Without any of the connectivity issues, this is one of the best MP games I've ever played. I'm going to echo the thought that although ND's SP modes are GOAT tier and the mechanics for their MP are great, their arrogance leads them to fuck up their MP modes. I still can't believe TLOU:R didn't contain all the MP DLC's.

A party of 2 from Europe against a party of 3 from Brazil in Plunder... how is this "fair/ balanced"?

Fuck SBMM and fuck the guy who implemented it. The matchmaking should find players from Europe, regardless of them being solo or partied up. If it cannot find parties, then it should find solo players. Who the fuck programmed this abomination?

ND, you won't understand the frustration, until you get matched against Brazil in your own Twitch stream and experience the joys of lag.

TripOpt55

I think I may be putting this game down for a while. I've been playing it less since the patch and I think it is just frustrating me too much lately. The new matchmaking which has me constantly late joining matches or waiting forever or in really laggy ones was kind of the final straw. I was already disappointed with a lot of things like the lack of modes and how every map has such a similar layout, but I guess this is just proving too much. It is a shame because I absolutely love the core mechanics and have so much fun when the game is working right. Oh well. Knowing me I'll probably try it again in a week. I'll definitely be back for co-op whenever that shows up.

^^^
I'm doing the same.

I still play it every day but only until I complete the daily challenge, or I shut it off in anger/frustration/disappointment -- whichever comes first.

SDR-UK

Seems a few of us have just opted out of playing nowadays. I cannot believe I'm saying this about a Naughty Dog Multiplayer when the past six and a half years has had them be the go-to online games for me.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
It's still my go to MP, but honestly after the skill based matchmaking patch, I understand why a lot of people are leaving. The lag, the unbalanced teams, the late joining.... It's pretty horrible.

Command solo is a more tolerable than TDM.

This threads turned pretty negative on this page, I have been one to criticise the game, but that's only because I enjoy it, otherwise I wouldn't be subbed to this thread. Despite this games issues, for me it's the best TPS on the PS4 (except maybe TLOUR) I have a lot of fun with it, and the people I play it with.

Sure, the game has its problems, matchmaking isn't ideal, it can be laggy, and I would like more maps and gametypes but I think the core gameplay is very solid, and the game also features lots of mechanics, like climbing, swinging, even blind fire, that give the game a different feel to anything else on the market. It's unique, fast paced and really entertaining for me.

This threads turned pretty negative on this page, I have been one to criticise the game, but that's only because I enjoy it, otherwise I wouldn't be subbed to this thread. Despite this games issues, for me it's the best TPS on the PS4 (except maybe TLOUR) I have a lot of fun with it, and the people I play it with.

Sure, the game has its problems, matchmaking isn't ideal, it can be laggy, and I would like more maps and gametypes but I think the core gameplay is very solid, and the game also features lots of mechanics, like climbing, swinging, even blind fire, that give the game a different feel to anything else on the market. It's unique, fast paced and really entertaining for me.
Apart from lag and Indra (in Ranked mainly), everything else is fine.

It's a shame that so many people abandon this game due to lag... this game is barely 3 months old. ND is losing potential customers.

Javin98

Banned

I don't think you can deny that Uncharted 4 is an amazing game, honestly, unless you're one of the vocal minority who disliked the pacing. In fact, Uncharted 4 is my new favorite game of all time. I really love the MP, but if ND can't be bothered to fix the white plugs, it's not my fault if I decide to not touch it for weeks. I will definitely be going back, but I hope when I do, the white plugs will be decreased dramatically.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
One thing that is extremely buggy are the revive stats. Sometimes I'll throw revive packs at fallen team mates, it activates, it almost revives them, but another team mate starts to revive him and I don't get credit for it. Credit in the results screen.

AKyemeni

I don't think you can deny that Uncharted 4 is an amazing game, honestly, unless you're one of the vocal minority who disliked the pacing. In fact, Uncharted 4 is my new favorite game of all time. I really love the MP, but if ND can't be bothered to fix the white plugs, it's not my fault if I decide to not touch it for weeks. I will definitely be going back, but I hope when I do, the white plugs will be decreased dramatically.
You want the game to be more laggy? I'm sorry but getting the white plug is on you. It's the gane telling you you're about to skate and shoot through walls.

You want the game to be more laggy? I'm sorry but getting the white plug is on you. It's the gane telling you you're about to skate and shoot through walls.
You know there's something strange going on when even people with 100 Mbps connections and wired PS4s get the white plug, even though no one is using their internet... this started happening a lot after the SBMM patch, so it can't be a coincidence.

I'm wondering if the white plug can be triggered for other players when the host experiences packet loss. Can someone from ND enlighten us?

The matchmaking needs to be reverted to its previous status and they should also make the host selection algorithm more strict. I swear I've seen KSA players with 256 Kbps upload speeds hosting Ranked matches.

AKyemeni

You know there's something strange going on when even people with 100 Mbps connections and wired PS4s get the white plug, even though no one is using their internet... this started happening a lot after the SBMM patch, so it can't be a coincidence.

I'm wondering if the white plug can be triggered for other players when the host experiences packet loss. Can someone from ND enlighten us?

The matchmaking needs to be reverted to its previous status and they should also make the host selection algorithm more strict. I swear I've seen KSA players with 256 Kbps upload speeds hosting Ranked matches.
Even wired connections can get the white plug.

What I want to know is why the connection bars next to people's names don't mean anything.

I like how a player or two will have only 1 red bar during the "Finding Players" part, and then when it starts loading the level it slowly fills up to 3/4 bars.

"Nope, you didn't see anything. Everything is fine. Everything will be alright."

Lag is god awful in Ranked today. I saw a guy ice skating, freezing and killing me 3-4 secs after I killed him.

They should remove the dedicated Ranked playlist and rotate Ranked between the regular TDM, Command, Plunder playlists.

Javin98

Banned
I don't care whatever it is ND does, increase the tickrate to 30Hz, get dedicated servers or revert back to before patch .026. Just fix the damn white plugs. Is it my Internet's fault if the game pairs me up with a bunch of two bar players because of the SBMM?

What I want to know is why the connection bars next to people's names don't mean anything.
I just saw a 4-bar player ice skating, freezing and killing me after I killed him.

They need to stop retroactive kills from happening... at least not with such a huge delay.

It's impossible to lock the lobby, unless you're the party leader or leave the lobby and join again... ND, you need to fix this. And please remove that "Party leader cancelled matchmaking search" message box. It's useless and annoying.

It's not 'on us' though.

I don't generally experience it, but when I do, it's because the game decided to match me up to some 1 bars from China or South America. That's not on me. My network isn't throttled or anything like that, the same amount of upload and download are available in that game, as any other, the only difference is that the game screwed up and matched me into the wrong lobby.

The problem with the white plug is that it seems to occur not only when your network is throttled but when there is a high latency, and in these instances it never experienced by the host. So in these instances, if your host and his team mates are in China, his entire team are going to have a good time, while you're going to white plug.

Had this happen the other day in a ranked game against master level players. They were from China, we were white plugging, they were skating around the map with no visible animations for movement. It's clear that the white plug system isn't perfect, and doesn't always simply isolate those whose own network issues are at fault.

Seriously, what happened to this game? This game was gravy up until the last time I played after some update, made a remark and ignored the game for a while. I come back and it's atrocious. Aim assist seems terrible, sticking to everything. Lag. Magnetic warps everywhere. ND and killing their MPs with updates, man. I think I'm done unless some of these things are known issues and they're being worked on?

http://m.neogaf.com/showpost.php?p=210851322
^My last post lol. Rust won't make my guns stick on downed players and then all of a sudden lose control when aiming at someone shooting at me. Nor would it make me warp up several rungs to be kicked to my death. Or make me not melee when I press square etc.

It saddens me that there's enough outcry about the SBMM fiasco and ND does nothing about it... apparently it's "fair & balanced" to play against BRA, MEX, KSA, CHN etc. parties.

It's not 'on us' though.

I don't generally experience it, but when I do, it's because the game decided to match me up to some 1 bars from China or South America. That's not on me. My network isn't throttled or anything like that, the same amount of upload and download are available in that game, as any other, the only difference is that the game screwed up and matched me into the wrong lobby.

The problem with the white plug is that it seems to occur not only when your network is throttled but when there is a high latency, and in these instances it never experienced by the host. So in these instances, if your host and his team mates are in China, his entire team are going to have a good time, while you're going to white plug.

Had this happen the other day in a ranked game against master level players. They were from China, we were white plugging, they were skating around the map with no visible animations for movement. It's clear that the white plug system isn't perfect, and doesn't always simply isolate those whose own network issues are at fault.
Your speed is being throttled in certain countries (with shitty networking infrastructure) and there's nothing you can do about it.

www.speedtest.net

Try to do a speedtest to Brazil for example and you'll see that you have less speed compared to a server in your country/continent... now imagine trying to connect to a Brazilian ADSL connection, not a server with fiber optics and you get the idea.

SBMM is an utter failure in a p2p game.

edit:

I just did a speedtest to a Chinese server:

5521740000.png

That's with a 50/10 Mbps (down/up) VDSL2 connection. White plug is fair in that case (because the game thinks "my" upload is subpar).
Not really.

You're not supposed to have a good time with Chinese players ever. Well, maybe in 30 years from now... I'm only talking about the upload speed, not latency/ping (it's impossible to fix that due to physics/distance, so lag compensation will always screw you up, even with zero white plugs).

I'll say it again and again: nerfing the white plug is not a proper solution. Ditching SBMM is the way to go.

ps: Speedtest to Germany:

5521766119.png

UK:

5521846069.png

US East Coast:

5521859859.png

Compare Xiangyang with NYC (distance, milliseconds, upload) and draw your own conclusions...

It saddens me that there's enough outcry about the SBMM fiasco and ND does nothing about it... apparently it's "fair & balanced" to play against BRA, MEX, KSA, CHN etc. parties.

Your speed is being throttled in certain countries (with shitty networking infrastructure) and there's nothing you can do about it.

www.speedtest.net

Try to do a speedtest to Brazil for example and you'll see that you have less speed compared to a server in your country/continent... now imagine trying to connect to a Brazilian ADSL connection, not a server with fiber optics and you get the idea.

SBMM is an utter failure in a p2p game.

edit:

I just did a speedtest to a Chinese server:

5521740000.png

That's with a 50/10 Mbps (down/up) VDSL2 connection. White plug is fair in that case (because the game thinks "my" upload is subpar).
Not really.

You're not supposed to have a good time with Chinese players ever. Well, maybe in 30 years from now... I'm only talking about the upload speed, not latency/ping (it's impossible to fix that due to physics/distance, so lag compensation will always screw you up, even with zero white plugs).

I'll say it again and again: nerfing the white plug is not a proper solution. Ditching SBMM is the way to go.

ps: Speedtest to Germany:

5521766119.png

UK:

5521846069.png

US East Coast:

5521859859.png
Is this what's causing my issues that I was bitching about? I'm just tired of them always ruining their games.

Top Bottom