• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 4: A Thief's End Multiplayer |OT| Swinging To Victory

SSReborn

Okay the new map New Devon or w.e I really like doesn't feel so laney like the other maps and seems to allow for some great movement. Gives me vibes of some of the maps from the older games.

Why are they constantly nerfing grenade? I know knockdown was a little too much, but C4 really seems much better, especially now that it always knocks down.

I was REALLY hoping for an El Dorado buff (activate much faster)

Am I the only one who thinks that nerfing late joins is a bad idea all around?

I understand that some people didn't like late joining matches, but this is going to make pubstomping easier than it already is... Imagine a party of 5 chasing 1 or 2 opponents to reach 40 KOs. There will also be less chances for comebacks (I know some people loved them). Mark my words, people are going to cry about getting roflstomped in 1vs5 matches and they'll keep asking for a solo playlist.

A generous relic bonus for late joiners would be a much, much better solution, but I guess they think they'll sell more UCP this way.

Also, the 30 sec inactivity timer seems a bit too strict IMHO. Maybe they should make it 60 secs.

I think they reduced the inactivity timer BY 30 seconds, not TO. Or is it at 30 seconds after that change? I thought that brought it to 60.
• Idle player kick timer reduced to 30 seconds

It used to be 120 secs (since UC2 MP) and now it's been reduced to a mere 30 secs.

AKyemeni

It used to be 120 secs (since UC2 MP) and now it's been reduced to a mere 30 secs.
Someone complained on the forums because he got downed and was waiting behind cover to get revived. He never got revived, so he was kicked for inactivity.

Someone complained on the forums because he got downed and was waiting behind cover to get revived. He never got revived, so he was kicked for inactivity.

Wait, you can get downed for over 30 seconds? Ahh, he must have gotten revived, but didn't move and got downed again and STILL didn't move, all in the span of 30 seconds LOL. Scrub confirmed, kick his ass out.

Rated-G

Ah okay, I didn't realize the patch notes read differently on the PS4 and on the site, looks like they fixed the PS4 one to match the site. Yeah that's way too short.

Just ran around in a private match on the new map and I'm impressed -- layout wise, it could fit right in with U2 maps. Not too many above/below sections but it's a big improvement.

The stark difference is that when viewed from above, it looks like this:

[X]

Not the:

|||

of every other map.

TripOpt55

I really liked the new map. Feels different from the others layout-wise which is a plus. While it looks great, I'd have probably preferred a more visually distinct theme. I'm hoping we get a savannah one at some point. I only got to play it twice my first two matches and then didn't see it again the rest of the night... haha. Oh well. Hopefully I will get it more soon.

I finally bailed on grenades for C4 and it seemed everyone else did too. It was everywhere tonight! I really don't think they needed to nerf grenades any further.

I like the tweaks they made to late joining and idle players. Sounds good to me.

Excited to see the new content this coming month.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
Matchmaking is so fucked. It's taking FOREVER to find a match. It doesn't matter if I'm solo or partied up. Wtf is going on.

eFKac

So a further nerf for the grenade and a buff for the C4?

Lmao, that's hilarious, who's gonna be using a nade now for twice the point price at that? Absolutely ridiculous balancing.

At least the underwarter hiding was rightfully nerfed.

Parties had longer search times.

Solo players can find matches quicker because 1) late joins 2) filling the gaps.

No, it's because solo playlist.

Are no gaps to fill, no waiting longer for people in a playlist that only hinders you and doesn't benefit you at all.

Is why UC4 system sucks, you wait longer for a match you're not going to benefit from.

Solo players are not there to make party players experience better. Is why they are leaving the game.

No, it's because solo playlist.

Are no gaps to fill, no waiting longer for people in a playlist that only hinders you and doesn't benefit you at all.

Is why UC4 system sucks, you wait longer for a match you're not going to benefit from.

Solo players are not there to make party players experience better. Is why they are leaving the game.
I guess you've never joined the solo playlist only to end up in the parties-allowed playlist... it had happened a couple of times to me (pretty easy to figure it out by mic usage and asking other players if they're in a party), and no, it's not a bug. If the matchmaking cannot fill the gaps with party players, of course it's going to use solo players for that. EvangM had announced the solo playlist with lots of fanfare, but he "forgot" to explain you the mathematical implications of it. ;)

People leave games for all sorts of reasons. Some people hate parties/mysticals/sidecocks, while others can't stand lag. Implementing a relic bonus for late joiners is better than adding another playlist in a game that's bleeding players faster than the previous ones did (UC2/UC3 didn't have solo TDM either and both of them had a 2-year lifespan).

I guess you've never joined the solo playlist only to end up in the parties-allowed playlist...

Never in hundreds of hours. You probably joined party list by mistake.

UC2/3 didn't last a year before it got so bad was unplayable with Mexicans, Europeans and Australian players all in same game.

...and frankly those were better games with more content as well as better designed content.

Never in hundreds of hours. You probably joined party list by mistake.
No, it wasn't a mistake. It has happened to other people too.

UC2/3 didn't last a year before it got so bad was unplayable with Mexicans, Europeans and Australian players all in same game.

...and frankly those were better games with more content as well as better designed content.
UC2/3 certainly had more longevity than UC4. This game is barely 4 months old and it's lagging like UC2 in 2013.

Lack of content is driving people away. Even if ND improves Plunder & replaces Command with Team Objective, the damage has already been done. Lots of people have left in search of greener pastures. Can't blame them.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
Wtf is up with matchmaking. Again tonight, it's taking ages to find games. Then it finds players, constantly drops them, picks them up again, and drops them. It's a constant cycle. I have noticed that I'm getting matched up against full ping bar players now. Not sure if they did change it.

Darkatomz

The latest patch broke my surround sound. Now the only option that I can pick is 2.0, even though I know for a fact that all 5.1 of the channels are working...

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
Never mind. I spoke too soon. I party up with one friend and every match is 1-2 bar players who freeze, teleport, and lag so fucking bad. Every. Single. Match.

It's bad, man.

Never mind. I spoke too soon. I party up with one friend and every match is 1-2 bar players who freeze, teleport, and lag so fucking bad. Every. Single. Match.

It's bad, man.
Is your friend from the same region as you? (if he's the party leader)

The patch notes don't mention any matchmaking changes (ping-based or whatever)...

Vade

Dedicated Servers would have helped so much, but why spend that big pile of money from people forced to pay to play 50% of their game? KZ2 had dedicated servers on Ps3 why could naughty dog not as well? The game already feels as if it was a F2P game with all the micro transactions ect.

Each of their titles has tried new things with their multiplayer, which I guess I should be glad they are willing to put something new out there. Then again you had things nailed down with 1.04 and other than some good dlc maps every revision has gone downhill. Hell we had more detailed stats almost seven years ago.

Gave it a shot after patch but this matchmaking is the biggest pile of shit i've ever played.

I loved this game the first month until this skill based matchmaking, now it's just getting shot 10 feet around corners, enormous amounts of latency and lag and nothing but the sweatiest of sweats i'm playing against.

GG naughty dog, once again you dun fucked it up.

I like how each iteration of ND MP is becoming more and more like that tacked on multiplayer that everyone that UC2 MP was going to be.
If there's one thing that feels tacked on, it's Plunder. It's a shame, because it's supposed to be the most "iconic" UC MP mode. This franchise is all about treasure plundering.

Seriously, the ND MP team needs to learn the concept of "building a foundation" and improving upon it, instead of starting from scratch every single fucking time. There's no excuse for the lack of Treasure Bearer/Beast Mode (unless they're holding them out for future DLC, which is kinda shitty IMHO) or That Was Embarrassing medal to promote quick wins instead of Hero Weapon farming
(btw, does that constitute "unsporting play"? :p)
. In fact, it's a huge shame that objective modes have no medals at all!

All this assfuckery along with the fact that ND devs refuse to add objective modes in Ranked makes me think that 2/3 of the MP is a tacked-on afterthought... for shame. UC2 MP definitely wasn't tacked on, despite what people claimed at the time. I could even argue that UC2 MP has the most Uncharted-ish menus compared to the generic, bland, tasteless menus that we've had since UC3 MP. Granted, this is a cosmetic thing that doesn't affect gameplay, but it sure proves that they worked really hard on their first MP game. They didn't even have a dedicated UI/UX designer back then.

They can improve/add a lot of things in the future and maybe this game will be completely different in 1 year from now, but they will have lost many players by then (who knows, maybe they plan to replace them with F2P folks). There's no excuse, some things should be there @ day 1 (I'm not talking about maps, it's understandable that these need a lot of work). We shouldn't have to wait 1-2 years to get things that the previous games had. Even the fact that we don't have Sure Foot/Team Safe is annoying. If we had this booster from the beginning, then there would be no need for grenade nerfs! Totally backasswards balancing.

Nev

Banned
I could even argue that UC2 MP has the most Uncharted-ish menus compared to the generic, bland, tasteless menus that we've had since UC3 MP. Granted, this is a cosmetic thing that doesn't affect gameplay, but it sure proves that they worked really hard on their first MP game. They didn't even have a dedicated UI/UX designer back then.

UC3 is the only one with shitty menus. The UI was just cheap, something felt off, the brown square windows didn't mesh with the font, but that was a problem in the single player and main menu UI too.

Uncharted 2 was consistent and had this adventure, Uncharted-ish style in both modes, but so is Uncharted 4 (consistent).

The menus are consistent, the problem is that they're garbage TLOUesque, "mature", simplistic shit, Druckmann trademark. They don't fit Uncharted at all and the adventure theme is completely absent in exchange for this absurd and uncalled for depressive, dready theme that fits a game like TLOU, but not Uncharted.

The theme and tone of the single player ended up being exactly the same as the previous games, so I don't quite understand why the fuck they decided to keep this bland, dire theme.
The music during multiplayer matches is shit too, this creepy whistle thing that sounds in the middle of the match... I mean, what the hell is that crap?

The iconic sound when killing people is gone too, for some reason. Too cheerful I guess? The new down sound effect is much more fitting, a lot more "mature" and CoD-like I suppose.

They can improve/add a lot of things in the future and maybe this game will be completely different in 1 year from now

The gameplay is perfected and the foundation is there, if they keep supporting it properly it can become the best Uncharted multiplayer. They'd have to bring classic mode and classic maps back for that though.

The new map is good design-wise, but I can't believe they reused the same goddamn theme from three other maps. It feels like an old map just because it looks exactly the same as pirate colony/river/sunken ruins/island.

Village can't come soon enough.

Kalentan

Did the game become a pug stomping game when I stopped playing? Seems like the matches I play now have one team just dominating the other.

I really didn't want Village. I already played tons of it in UC2 and UC3. I would rather new maps than old ones.
Village is probably ND's way of appeasing "Classic" folks. It was the signature DTI/FF map of UC2.

And it's not like old maps are delaying new ones... 90% of the work has already been done. The rest 10% is making new textures and better geometry.

ps: Let's hope the tank makes a return.

Top Bottom