• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 4: A Thief's End Multiplayer |OT| Swinging To Victory

WinFonda

Why are they constantly nerfing grenade? I know knockdown was a little too much, but C4 really seems much better, especially now that it always knocks down.

I was REALLY hoping for an El Dorado buff (activate much faster)

Nade absolutely blows now. Expensive to get the meaningful upgrade, longer cooldown relative to everything AND the most loadout points, and now the reduced knockdown radius (maybe even kill radius?) is breaking the camel's back.

To be honest the constant nerf isn't about nades being OP, it's about them getting the gratification of moving the player base onto the other thing they weren't taking to. Even tho C4 has always had some clear advantages over nade, and been useful as a niche flavorful alternative, they continue to buff it and nerf down grenade... the intentions are obvious here.

It's like Naughty Dog is shocked and appalled the player base prefers the staple of grenades to... I dunno, all the crazy shit they added. At the end of the day, C4 isn't all that different from grenades... but now there's a shitton of C4 spam, more than there ever was of grenades, and more explosions means less gunfights... and that sucks.

Nade absolutely blows now. Expensive to get the meaningful upgrade, longer cooldown relative to everything, and now the reduced knockdown radius (maybe even kill radius?) is breaking the camel's back.

To be honest the constant nerf isn't about nades being OP, it's about them getting the gratification of moving the player base onto the other thing they weren't taking to. Even tho C4 has always had some clear advantages over nade, and been useful as a niche flavorful alternative, they continue to buff it and hammer down grenade... the intentions are obvious here.

It's like Naughty Dog is shocked and appalled the player base prefers the staple of grenades to... I dunno, all the crazy shit they added. At the end of the day, C4 isn't all that different from grenades... but now there's a shitton of C4 spam, more than there ever was of grenades, and more explosions means less gunfights... and that sucks.
I bet he approves:

https://twitter.com/RobertCogburn/status/766045528698163200

AKyemeni

Nade absolutely blows now. Expensive to get the meaningful upgrade, longer cooldown relative to everything AND the most loadout points, and now the reduced knockdown radius (maybe even kill radius?) is breaking the camel's back.

To be honest the constant nerf isn't about nades being OP, it's about them getting the gratification of moving the player base onto the other thing they weren't taking to. Even tho C4 has always had some clear advantages over nade, and been useful as a niche flavorful alternative, they continue to buff it and nerf down grenade... the intentions are obvious here.

I still mostly encourage terms grenades though.

People are still hype over the buff. Give it a week or two and those people will go back to grenades.

WinFonda

I still mostly encourage terms grenades though.

People are still hype over the buff. Give it a week or two and those people will go back to grenades.

yeah I mean I think nade is still the best in the hands of a skilled user who plays a lot, but if you're having even a slightly off day with your nades, or if you're new to the mechanics.... the lessened knockdown radius really stings; especially if your attempting to use them in combat. I don't think lobbing out C4 and detonating it should be more forgiving in a firefight than a nade toss, but that's the timeline we're in.

it needs a slight buff somewhere... whether it's upgrade cost, LP cost, what have you.

Whatever happened to the vehicles.
Technical difficulties™? I can't wait to see how vehicles are supposed to work in laggy matches... hopefully it won't be like the Airstrip/London Underground intros! :eek:

There's also a vague promise by Cog about splitscreen support... Co-op along with PS4 Neo are coming this Fall.

Nev

Banned
Tbh I don't think they'd have to visually modify Village, the original Uncharted 2 version looks better than a lot of maps in Uncharted 4. Unfortunately it appears to be the Uncharted 3 version. A lot of the characters models have miles better shading and textures in Uncharted 2 too, same is true for lots of maps.

Uncharted 4 multiplayer doesn't look very hot, though I'd take last gen graphics over 30fps for sure.

New Devon is the best map in the game by far. Very good level design, on par with previous games. Second is Sunken Ruins. How shocking, the maps they had more time to work on are the best ones. Now if they'd only retire abominations like Remnants and Pirate Colony and rework them to that standard...

The other levels are tolerable, but these two are just god awful, especially Remnants. Remove that shit from the game really, or give us map voting back, that way we would never have to play that garbage again.

Btw what happened to Scotland? Haven't played that in ages.

Javin98

Banned
Tbh I don't think they'd have to visually modify Village, the original Uncharted 2 version looks better than a lot of maps in Uncharted 4. Unfortunately it appears to be the Uncharted 3 version. A lot of the characters models have miles better shading and textures in Uncharted 2 too, same is true for lots of maps.

Uncharted 4 multiplayer doesn't look very hot, though I'd take last gen graphics over 30fps for sure.
This is why I can't tolerate GAF anymore, the hyperbole is staggering. I know the shaders and lighting are a significant step down from the SP, but come on. Since you said "last gen graphics", I'm going to assume you are taking everything into account. I don't recall any last gen game looking anywhere near as clean as UC4 MP. Materials look far better than last gen games because of PBR. Say what you want about the direct lighting outdoors (in fact, I'd say it looks pretty flat on some maps), but the indirect lighting indoors, especially in Rooftops looks pretty good. I could go on, but this is hyperbolic nonsense regardless.

Nev

Banned
This is why I can't tolerate GAF anymore, the hyperbole is staggering. I know the shaders and lighting are a significant step down from the SP, but come on. Since you said "last gen graphics", I'm going to assume you are taking everything into account. I don't recall any last gen game looking anywhere near as clean as UC4 MP. Materials look far better than last gen games because of PBR. Say what you want about the direct lighting outdoors (in fact, I'd say it looks pretty flat on some maps), but the indirect lighting indoors, especially in Rooftops looks pretty good. I could go on, but this is hyperbolic nonsense regardless.

Do you realise "last gen graphics" are still good graphics? I'm not comparing it to early gen games, but things like Uncharted 2 and 3 which had impressive graphics. It's not shocking that Uncharted 4 multiplayer couldn't look like a generational leap.

As you said, direct lightning is weak, there's nothing on the level of the lightning in Desert Village from Uncharted 3, only Sunken Ruins comes close. Characters models are more detailed in Uncharted 4, but some of them still look somehow better in Uncharted 2:
maxresdefault.jpg

If you told me the one below is from the sequel I'd believe you.

Now, I know that if you compare these models from a pure technological standpoint, Uncharted 4 wins because they have higher resolution textures and better geometry, but honestly I prefer the ones from Uncharted 2. They're more stylized, cartoony almost, it's better artstyle tbh. Anyways, it's not a generational leap to me at all.

I can't put my finger on it but I think the problem is that Uncharted 4 multiplayer feels washed out, the shading isn't as good as in Uncharted 2 and the lightning is average.

Honestly, this:

Looks better than anything I've seen in Uncharted 4 multiplayer to me. The only map that somehow feels on the level of Uncharted 2 and 3 in terms of lightning and color is Sunken Ruins.

This:

Looks better than Madagascar, this:

Looks better than Sunken Ruins/New Devon/River, and these two:

Look miles better than Scotland, which looks like crap.

Even Uncharted 3 looked better a lot of the time.

That could totally pass for Uncharted 4 multiplayer.

Uncharted 3 character models were the worst out of the three, but the lightning and shading was much better than in Uncharted 4 imo, making the character look great in this image for instance.

Uncharted 2 and 3 made better use of the limited hardware with a better artsyle and art direction. Uncharted 4 made a terrible use of colors and lightning, making everything look washed out and dull -I guess Druckmann forced that "mature and realistic" filter onto multiplayer too.

I'll take 60fps over graphics anyday, nonetheless, so I don't really care. However, artstyle > raw graphics. That's why Uncharted 2 will have a timeless look and that's why WoW will always look infinitely better than awful-looking things like Guild Wars 2 and the likes, as objectively outdated as these graphics are.

Javin98

Banned
Your whole post just reads like you prefer the art styles of the previous games more. If so, just say so, I'm not going to argue with that, art style preference is clearly subjective. But then you brought up much better lighting and shading and that is just flat out wrong. I honestly can't imagine how a game that didn't even use PBR can have much better shaders than a game that does. Batman AK is the only game I can think of which doesn't use PBR and has excellent material shaders. Either way, those images you posted all have what most would call "last gen shaders". Some of the images you posted do have pretty good lighting, but "much better than UC4"? Hell no.

Also, I never said UC4 MP was a generational leap from last gen games, I don't even think it is. However, there is a clear difference from "significantly better" and "generational leap".

Edit: Looking closer at those UC3 Chateau pics, there is nothing in those that hold up well today. The lighting and shading is definitely not "much better" than UC4's. Whether you think it suits the art style better is totally subjective. Just don't say "much better lighting and shading". Flat out bullshit.

Honestly, this:

3991854292_197dd8029f_o.jpg

Bullshots are meaningless. Just sayin'.

I also prefer the more vivid/colorful artstyle of UC2, but Javin is right from a technical standpoint. The PS4 GPU is 10 times faster than the PS3 GPU, not to mention that it supports way more advanced shaders (DX9 vs DX11), hence the PBR reference. Subsurface scattering is also pretty impressive IMHO (light passing through character ears & plant leaves). They could have left that out from the MP because of the 60fps target, but they managed to pull it off. If there's one thing that ND (ICE Team to be precise) does right, it's squeezing out every last drop of performance for unparalleled graphics/animation.

Artstyle is debatable, but yeah, I'm not a big fan of Druckmann's "artsy" influence (pastel color palette) either.

Looking for people to play ranked matches with.

I'm in GMT+3

Currently at GOLD 2 qualifiers

Anyone interested do send me a request on PSN: ViciousAly and do mention that you're from GAF

Cheers

Josh378

Yo naughty dog needs to deal with people who dropped out. I have lost many games because two or three people decided to leave and screw all of us who is left while we get taken down by 5 people vs whatever because the score is too close. Dropping out has been my number one complaint I think they need to do it like call of duty did and give people 5 minute timeout when they drop out of the game towards the end or something.

I wonder how good the MP will look on the PS4 Neo if it gets a patch?? 1080P? 1800P?
The MP already looks good.

Oh and the guy above saying UC2 looks better than 4 in some spots?? LOL

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
Yo naughty dog needs to deal with people who dropped out. I have lost many games because two or three people decided to leave and screw all of us who is left while we get taken down by 5 people vs whatever because the score is too close. Dropping out has been my number one complaint I think they need to do it like call of duty did and give people 5 minute timeout when they drop out of the game towards the end or something.
They should have made it like UC2 where the total match point score was reduced to half of what it is. I've also experienced this myself where I'm left with just myself and a team mate against a team of 5. Reducing the total score to win a match would help tremendously for both sides.

Nev

Banned
Oh and the guy above saying UC2 looks better than 4 in some spots?? LOL

Yeah that's because the lightning and shadows are actually better in U2/3 for the most part. Shadows casted by buildings/objects in U4 are a blurry mess and have barely any effect on characters as they go through them.

Boot up any level with strong lightning in Uncharted 2/3 like Village, Desert Village, Airstrip or Highrise and look at the ground near a shadow, you'll see how sharp and impactful shadows are compared to the terrible pre-baked-feeling, extremely low res ones in Uncharted 4, not to mention how they actually make the character get shadowed.

Concessions had to be made, and it's very clear where they decided to make them. Still, the game struggles to stay above 50fps when there's a fight. The PS4 really is crap hardware.

Javin98

Banned
Yeah that's because the lightning and shadows are actually better in U2/3 for the most part. Shadows casted by buildings/objects in U4 are a blurry mess and have barely any effect on characters as they go through them.

Boot up any level with strong lightning in Uncharted 2/3 like Village, Desert Village, Airstrip or Highrise and look at the ground near a shadow, you'll see how sharp and impactful shadows are compared to the terrible pre-baked-feeling, extremely low res ones in Uncharted 4, not to mention how they actually make the character get shadowed.

Concessions had to be made, and it's very clear where they decided to make them. Still, the game struggles to stay above 50fps when there's a fight. The PS4 really is crap hardware.
I have a hard time believing the shadows in the previous games' MP are higher res than UC4 MP. The shadows in UC3 SP already had easily visible jagged edges, but UC2 definitely fared better in this regard. Anyway, shadow quality is definitely one of the first things toned down when you need performance, so I find it highly unlikely the MP actually has better shadow quality than the SP. Also, sharp shadows are in no way more "realistic" than soft shadows. Yes, the shadows in UC4 MP suffer from jagged edges as well, but they look "blurry" because they have a soft and diffused look. Look at this example:
http://international.download.nvidia.com/geforce-com/international/comparisons/grand-theft-auto-v/grand-theft-auto-v-soft-shadows-interactive-comparison-1-softest-vs-sharp.html

Whether you prefer sharp shadows or not in games is clearly your personal preference, but in real life, sharp shadows are clearly not "natural" unless the shadow caster is just a few feet from the surface. In addition, soft shadows are more expensive to render. Pre baked feeling? The fuck does this even mean? All ND games use baked indirect lighting and shadowing for the most part.

Struggles to stay above 50FPS during a fight? I've played the MP for over 140 hours and it stays at 60FPS a lot of the time, yes, even during heavy fights. But hey, don't listen to me:
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=h9p2KvpYElQ

You really are posting a bunch of bullshit about this MP, huh.

Bullshots are meaningless. Just sayin'.

I also prefer the more vivid/colorful artstyle of UC2, but Javin is right from a technical standpoint. The PS4 GPU is 10 times faster than the PS3 GPU, not to mention that it supports way more advanced shaders (DX9 vs DX11), hence the PBR reference. Subsurface scattering is also pretty impressive IMHO (light passing through character ears & plant leaves). They could have left that out from the MP because of the 60fps target, but they managed to pull it off. If there's one thing that ND (ICE Team to be precise) does right, it's squeezing out every last drop of performance for unparalleled graphics/animation.

Artstyle is debatable, but yeah, I'm not a big fan of Druckmann's "artsy" influence (pastel color palette) either.
To be fair, PBR isn't DX11 exclusive and some games do, in fact, use a PBR workflow on last gen consoles. Examples being Alien Isolation, Beyond Two Souls and MGSV. Either way, previous Uncharted games definitely don't use PBR and the materials clearly look dated by today's standards. Also, the sub surface scattering on characters is actually just a pretty cheap approximation, but it's better than nothing. I'm not sure if vegetation uses SSS, either.

I'm just going to call bs on that. UC2/3 doesn't have anything better visually than UC4.

To be honest, even UC4 SP shadows (@30fps) are pretty bad (this, along with dithering are the only blemishes). I remember shadows being very pixelated/low-res in Island & Pirate Colony (Campaign). Don't forget that the PS4 CPU/GPU share a common memory pool (high-res shadows are expensive).

PS4-GPU-Bandwidth-140-not-176.png

But hey, worry not because PS4 Neo is coming soon! I'd rather spend €200 on a Neo (Neo minus OG PS4 trade-in value) than Uncharted Points. ;) ND clearly doesn't care about fixing serious issues that plague their games, not to mention half-assed fixes that further break the game (late join nerf). Sorry, but they don't deserve my hard earned money at this point of time.

To be fair, PBR isn't DX11 exclusive and some games do, in fact, use a PBR workflow on last gen consoles. Examples being Alien Isolation, Beyond Two Souls and MGSV. Either way, previous Uncharted games definitely don't use PBR and the materials clearly look dated by today's standards. Also, the sub surface scattering on characters is actually just a pretty cheap approximation, but it's better than nothing. I'm not sure if vegetation uses SSS, either.
Interesting. Does the RSX support PBR shaders?

And yes, vegetation uses SSS both in SP & MP. Pay attention to the plant leaves in Island.

Javin98

Banned
To be honest, even UC4 SP shadows (@30fps) are pretty bad (this, along with dithering are the only blemishes). I remember shadows being very pixelated/low-res in Island & Pirate Colony (Campaign). Don't forget that the PS4 CPU/GPU share a common memory pool (high-res shadows are expensive).

PS4-GPU-Bandwidth-140-not-176.png

But hey, worry not because PS4 Neo is coming soon! I'd rather spend €200 on a Neo (Neo minus OG PS4 trade-in value) than Uncharted Points. ;) ND clearly doesn't care about fixing serious issues that plague their games, not to mention half-assed fixes that further break the game (late join nerf). Sorry, but they don't deserve my hard earned money at this point of time.

Interesting. Does the RSX support PBR shaders?

And yes, vegetation uses SSS both in SP & MP. Pay attention to the plant leaves in Island.
Yes, there are several areas in the SP where shadow resolution is awful, but in most places, it is decent. Interestingly, shadow quality is tweaked per level basis. In indoor areas like Nate's house, shadow resolution is really high and shadows are nicely defined. In large areas with a lot of vegetation like the New Devon encounter, shadow resolution is really low. Also pretty low res in the building collapsing setpiece. However, in the MP, it never looks that bad and is line with how shadows typically look in the SP, call it the middle ground. Either way, I find it hard to believe UC2 and UC3 MP had better shadows. Nev just sounds like he is on koolaid.

PBR has nothing to do with horsepower, really, AFAIK. It has more to do with the way the artists render materials in the game. Even so, for materials to look truly excellent, great looking lighting is also required. Which is why, IMO, Beyond Two Souls still has mediocre looking material shaders despite using PBR. Still better than almost every other game last gen, though.

Edit: As for SSS on the leaves, I'm not saying it is not used, I'm just not sure if it really is SSS. Could be some other approximation I don't know.

Nev

Banned
Really, how long has it been since you guys last played Uncharted 2/3?

Difference between being under a realtime shadow and not being, in Uncharted 3/2:

Difference between being under a shitty prebaked low res shadow and not being, in Uncharted 4:

I seriously cant' believe anyone would claim that that these shadows and lightning and the way the character reacts to them:

https://cdn.streamable.com/video/mp4/kb0i_1.mp4

Look better in any way than any of these:

https://cdn.streamable.com/video/mp4/stwv_2.mp4

You can bring all the technical data you want, it still looks significantly worse to me, even with such shitty Uncharted 2/3 phone pictures versus direct feed Uncharted 4 images. I'm 100% sure most people who don't play Uncharted wouldn't be able to tell which one is the PS4 sequel a lot of the time. I mean there are fucking light beams in Remnants that don't even cast any shadow at all in your character.

I first noticed the downgrade in these two things back when Tlou was released, and it seems to have been carried over all the way to Uncharted 4, which, remember, uses the same engine. The PS4 just can't handle such intense lightning and real time high resolution shadows at 900p / 60fps, that's it. Especially with all these shitty NPCs running around everywhere.

That, or Druckmann didn't want high contrast shadowing because it would "compromise his vision/integrity".

Bonus:

That said, there are so many great classic maps that it'd be a shame if they weren't all (except Oasis and London Streets) playable with the perfected gameplay of Uncharted 4. I hope Village is not the only one, I don't mind if they bring them back in the exact same way they were in previous games, graphically speaking. The only problem would be the fucking stupid sidekicks, I fear.

Javin98

Banned
*nitpicky post*
I'm done talking to you. I really am. You seemed to ignore my point with the first image. The shadow casted by the character in UC4 is more "realistic" in that it is soft and diffused. Unless an object is right in front of the surface of which the shadow is cast on, the shadow will not be sharp. Want to experiment with this yourself? Stand under the sun or any light source and watch your own shadow. Is it as sharp as the UC2/3 image you posted? Or is it soft and diffused as the UC4 image? If you answer the former, go to an optician. You can prefer sharp shadows, but it is not more technically impressive nor is it more realistic. As I said, soft shadows are more demanding on hardware than sharp shadows.

As for the character being shadowed by the shadows of the environment, I have no idea what you mean. Eddy is also being shadowed by the shadows of the foliage in UC4. I get the feeling you only noticed it in UC2/3 because the shadows are the all superior sharp shadows. Again, unrealistic as the objects are several feet from the ground. Posting the pic of jagged shadows in UC4 proves nothing. That is the shadow of a thin cable where jagged edges are most easily seen. Post a pic of similar shadows in UC2/3 if you want to compare. For some reason, the soft shadows become hard and sharp when it is cast on water.

Also, what happened to the "much better" shading? Did you drop it completely because you were proven wrong? Moving goalposts, are we? Go on, I can play all day. In the end, you just prefer the art style of previous games and that's it. Your snarky comments about Druckmann says enough. Doesn't give you the right to post bullshit.

When you say that we can bring in all the technical data we want and it doesn't matter because what you think is definitive, you can flat out rejecting facts. I already said art style is completely subjective, but if you're going to ignore that UC4 is doing much more technically under the hood than its predecessors, you're being obtuse. Why not just say TLOU looks better than Star Citizen then? That's subjective too because my eyes say so and my heart wants it to be so!

Nev

Banned
Do you realise that there are plenty of maps in Uncharted 2/3 with soft shadows? In case you haven't noticed, the maps from the pictures are sunny maps with strong light source from the goddamn desert/jungle sun.

I'm very aware of the way shadows work in real life, and I know that not in every instance there are dark, sharp shadows everywhere. In a sunny day under direct sunlight? Definitely.

It's fine when maps like Scotland or River have softer shadows, but Auction House? In Italy? Under direct sunlight? The realistic approach would be that of the previous games, for sure. Madagascar seems to be more evening, but Auction House definitely looks like morning.

What about sunny jungle maps? The goddamn jungle sun is above in Sunken Ruins, and the contrast of the shadows is absolutely terrible. It's the exact same lightning as in every other daylight map. Every map in the other games had a very distinct lightning that made it easy to guess the time of the day and the kind of place it was, whereas in Uncharted 4 everyone looks either night or day, whatever the circustamces might be.

You just have to play the single player to see how the zones like Sunken Ruins and Pirate Colony have actual impactful sunlight with dark shadows and Drake gets affected by them.

I didn't talk about shading because I made a comparison about lightning. Nice of you, however, to ignore the barely HD blurry character shadow of Uncharted 4 —there's not a single alternate dimension out there in which that shadow is of a higher resolution than the one in U3—. That, and the fact that several lightbeams around the maps don't have any effect on characters, probably because they're rushed and prebaked to the bone.

Of course there are things Uncharted 4 do better, and of course it's objectively better if you analyze it from a purely technical standpoint, I said that at the very beginning. That doesn't make its shadows any less shitty and blurry. Vaseline filter and subpar shadows all around, PBR or not.

PD: No, Eddy is not being overshadowed by the pillar in front of him. He's 100% unaffected by it, look again.

Real life sunny days must lack PBR or something, because these dark, sharp shadows aren't realistic!

Dundar

holy shit at the amount of people dropping the match. I've been having 1vs5 all night, at that point i quit too since it becomes a curbstomping. At times it's the viceversa, but that's still awful to play. I guess the old late join system, as annoying as it was, was still better to allow matches to be played till the end on a full party.
I don't want a penalty for dropping, since it's the fastest way of doing the dailies, but damn.

Javin98

Banned
Watch this short video you yourself posted.
https://cdn.streamable.com/video/mp4/kb0i_1.mp4

It's less obvious when Eddy is running towards the other end of the area, but when he is running back to the starting point, he is clearly being shadowed by the shadows of the structures. You can go on and on about the contrast of shadowed and non shadowed areas, and you'd be right, but the character still gets shadowed.

I see you're still going on with blurry shadows, so I suggest you take a look at this:
http://international.download.nvidia.com/geforce-com/international/comparisons/grand-theft-auto-v/grand-theft-auto-v-soft-shadows-interactive-comparison-2-nvidia-pcss-vs-softest.html

I'm not a big fan of PCSS as I find it overly soft and diffused, but it is generally accepted to be more realistic. One thing is for sure, it is by far one of the most demanding shadow options. And look closer, that image is taken at direct sunlight. But guess what? The more technically demanding option casts soft shadows, not hard ones. I didn't ignore the "barely HD charater shadows", I directly addressed it. Again, which you can't get it through your thick skull, soft shadows are more demanding than your "all superior" sharp shadows. You are free to prefer the latter, but it's not better in any way. The blurriness you associate with soft shadows is intentional, get over it.

Also, most of us who are knowledgeable in graphics tech don't refer to lighting and shadowing as the same thing, so where is this "much better" lighting in UC2/3? From your post, I can deduce that what you actually claim as much better is simply your preference for the art style and color tone of previous games, that's it.

And yes, you dropped the "much better" shading stigma way earlier before you even made this comparison. Why? Because you simply won't admit you were wrong, simple. I also proved you wrong that the game struggles to run at 50FPS during fights. So, yes, still spreading bullshit.

holy shit at the amount of people dropping the match. I've been having 1vs5 all night, at that point i quit too since it becomes a curbstomping. At times it's the viceversa, but that's still awful to play. I guess the old late join system, as annoying as it was, was still better to allow matches to be played till the end on a full party.
I don't want a penalty for dropping, since it's the fastest way of doing the dailies, but damn.
"Be careful what you wish for..."

Some people just never listen. -__-

Next "fix": relic penalty and enjoy losing them when the host RQs.

Dundar

i never wished for it lol
besides, the new map is awesome but I often have late joins in that map.... and those late joins are painfully unequal in terms of party size.
5vs2/3 is especially horrible since the map is pretty big so if the party is not full then half the time is spent searching for enemies.
nope, don't like it. Every major patch introduces something I don't like. First SBMM, now late join fix :/

i never wished for it lol
besides, the new map is awesome but I often have late joins in that map.... and those late joins are painfully unequal in terms of party size.
5vs2/3 is especially horrible since the map is pretty big so if the party is not full then half the time is spent searching for enemies.
nope, don't like it. Every major patch introduces something I don't like. First SBMM, now late join fix :/
Not saying that you did... but some people asked ND to nerf late joins.

We also have to blame the "wonderful" community for SBMM...

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
What's weird about this whole matchmaking thing is that they are not reverting it back to how it used to be. Not only was the old way faster, but there was less laggy matches in general. The skill based MM has not only made wait times longer, but introduced so much lag in the process. I figured they might have reverted it back in this latest update due to all the backlash, but no mention of MM changes other than the late join 'fix'. They need to do something quick because ND are losing players due to this SBMM. We are barely a few months in, and it takes ages to find a match especially if you're in a party. This is ridiculous IMO.

Imagine this a year from now if it's already this bad.

What's weird about this whole matchmaking thing is that they are not reverting it back to how it used to be. Not only was the old way faster, but there was less laggy matches in general. The skill based MM has not only made wait times longer, but introduced so much lag in the process. I figured they might have reverted it back in this latest update due to all the backlash, but no mention of MM changes other than the late join 'fix'. They need to do something quick because ND are losing players due to this SBMM. We are barely a few months in, and it takes ages to find a match especially if you're in a party. This is ridiculous IMO.

Imagine this a year from now if it's already this bad.
As long as matches are "competitive" (sweaty & laggy), it's all good:

https://twitter.com/RobertCogburn/status/771476751595610112

Not saying that you did... but some people asked ND to nerf late joins.

We also have to blame the "wonderful" community for SBMM...

Late joins needed fixing, because they sucked. The problem is ND only half assed the fixing.

They fixed people joining into matches they didn't want to, but they didn't fix why people are leaving in the first place which was the more important thing. Party stomps. Should of added a solo playlist at same time.

TLOU had very few quitters in solo playlist, only at end of match when no lives to respawn with anyway. Because so few quitters, was very rare late joined into a game.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
New Devon is a great map? Are you serious right now? It's utter chaos.
It's great. I don't see your problem with it. It's huge, there's plenty of flanking routes, and it plays differently from all the other maps in the MP.

Mediking

Seems like more players just need to get the hang of it. The map layout is very different from other maps in the MP.

It's great. I don't see your problem with it. It's huge, there's plenty of flanking routes, and it plays differently from all the other maps in the MP.

Just "git gud", huh? Its hard to explain but I feel like New Devon is so chaotic and easy to get lost in. I can hardly find anybody.

Javin98

Banned
Just "git gud", huh? Its hard to explain but I feel like New Devon is so chaotic and easy to get lost in. I can hardly find anybody.
Well, I never put it as harsh as "git gud". :p

On a more serious note, New Devon is a huge map and it completely dumps the three lane level design of the other maps. It's not a surprise you can get lost in it. What I meant was players just need to get accustomed to this change and know the map better, so give it some time.

I felt that way the first couple of matches, but then i went into a private match to make myself more familiar with it and it made way more sense within a few minutes. It's huge, but it's symmetrical, learn one half of the map and you know its whole layout. It's really not that complicated. It's basically a circle with paths cutting through the middle, north to south and east to west. You can cut through the middle of the map on the ground or on the first floor. There's a couple of slides on the first floor where the two paths cross, leading to the big room in the middle (they end close to the huge stairs leading up to Avery's statue) and 10 grapple points symmetrically strewn around the map (2 at N, S, E, W respectively, as well as two near the middle, going N to S). There's a body of water at the south side and a cliff at the north side of the map, and what looks to be team bases (the two elevated buildings with round floor) at the E and W side respectively. Treasure spawns are also located at N, S, E, W, almost like on a compass. Then there are two small buildings at E and W, a few meters south of the treasure spawns. In between all of that there are some obstacles and very minor branching paths, but in general that's it. I'm pretty sure i could draw a solid representation of the map's layout from my mind, and i'm no artist.

It has nothing to do with git gud, unless git gud means taking 5 minutes to familiarize yourself with the map in private match, where you can move around at your own leisure, without getting shot at. I'm surprised about the Auction House love though, since it has been my least favorite map the first two months. It has grown on me a bit since then, but i still don't find it terribly interesting. May i ask what you thought of he High Rise and Yemen maps in U2 and U3, if you played those?

Late joins needed fixing, because they sucked. The problem is ND only half assed the fixing.

They fixed people joining into matches they didn't want to, but they didn't fix why people are leaving in the first place which was the more important thing. Party stomps. Should of added a solo playlist at same time.

TLOU had very few quitters in solo playlist, only at end of match when no lives to respawn with anyway. Because so few quitters, was very rare late joined into a game.

Preach! The bolded is a great point that I never thought about. Chalupa Batman liked this comment.

Haha yes I was. The original name was a typo and everyone thought I was a tranny online lol.

HAHAHA oh my god thanks for the laugh!

Nev

Banned
That New Devon map is trash. It's really bad compared to Auction House (which is the best stage).

What? Not only it is the best map in the game, it's also the only one that can stand a chance at standing side to side to classics from Uncharted 2 and 3. It has a lot of different arenas of the same quality, and the flow between one to another is very good because they're varied. My favorite is the one with the big open balconies to the outside, that's great. Auction House is quite boring and unnecessarily big, it's the very definition of safe 3 lanes design.

1. New Devon
2. River
3. Rooftops
4. Sunken Ruins
5. Island
6. Madagascar City
7. Scotland
8. Auction House
9. Pirate Colony

347. Remnants.

I've come to enjoy the last four, despite disliking them at the beginning. Remnants though? Impossible to enjoy that piece of shit. Easily the worst Uncharted multiplayer map ever created. It's worse than London Streets and Oasis combined. I seriously wish they would just remove it from the game, even if that meant having less maps. Shit's unredeemable and it's a shame because it's a waste of a cool setting.

This game needs classic maps, anyways. Graveyard is an awesome map that was barely used in Uncharted 3 and it would be fantastic in Uncharted 4. Highrise is a must, Sanctuary too. How cool would Yemen be, also? Please.

eFKac

Done trying to play ranked with the brainded that matchmaking pairs me with.

PSN ID: Filip_Kackiewicz

Europe.

Throw me an invite please.

I've said before: people quit for all sorts of reasons. You say people quit because of party stomps, while there are people who quit even in solo playlists because of "OP" things (Bow, Tactical Shotgun etc.) Doesn't mean they were truly OP.

People are subjective. The only objective thing that ruins matches is lag.

Solo/parties segregation is not a proper solution, unless you can propose a magical way to increase the player pool by 10000%. It's already almost impossible to find Plunder matches. Let's not make it worse than it already is.

Just revert back to the previous late join system, make sure that stats (WLR) don't count for late joiners and give them a hefty bonus (100 relics) for completing the match. I can assure you that people won't quit, even if the match is 5-30.

Top Bottom