• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 4: A Thief's End Multiplayer |OT| Swinging To Victory

Foxxsoxx

So I finally got around to playing after the update and I'm having a lot of fun, especially after taking a break for a few weeks plus that treasure sale is on point, they should definitely do that more often, I wish the system launched like this, where wins give 20 plus offline bonuses. It feels much more rewarding for such small changes.

Only 3 weeks until Village returns!

Nade absolutely blows now. Expensive to get the meaningful upgrade, longer cooldown relative to everything AND the most loadout points, and now the reduced knockdown radius (maybe even kill radius?) is breaking the camel's back.

To be honest the constant nerf isn't about nades being OP, it's about them getting the gratification of moving the player base onto the other thing they weren't taking to. Even tho C4 has always had some clear advantages over nade, and been useful as a niche flavorful alternative, they continue to buff it and nerf down grenade... the intentions are obvious here.

It's like Naughty Dog is shocked and appalled the player base prefers the staple of grenades to... I dunno, all the crazy shit they added. At the end of the day, C4 isn't all that different from grenades... but now there's a shitton of C4 spam, more than there ever was of grenades, and more explosions means less gunfights... and that sucks.

Grenades were stupid powerful at launch with C4 being very underwhelming. I don't see a problem with the buffs and nerfs. C4 feels pretty alright to use and grenades are still as effective as ever as long as you use them right.

Grenades were stupid powerful at launch with C4 being very underwhelming. I don't see a problem with the buffs and nerfs. C4 feels pretty alright to use and grenades are still as effective as ever as long as you use them right.
You don't see a problem with the lack of Sure Foot/Team Safe? Really?

Even if ND adds it as a DLC booster, they won't un-nerf grenades. That's BS.

It reminds me of the double nerf that shottie got in UC3 MP...

Foxxsoxx

You don't see a problem with the lack of Sure Foot/Team Safe? Really?

Even if ND adds it as a DLC booster, they won't un-nerf grenades. That's BS.

It reminds me of the double nerf that shottie got in UC3 MP...

I really don't see a problem with it not being in the game. I wouldn't mind if they added it in, but balance wise, I'm very happy with how the game currently is bar a few bad weapons like the RPG and Spaghetti.

Teknoman

Finally got around to getting into U4MP, but due to moving stuff around the house im stuck using wi-fi for the consoles. That being said, I guess im lucky since in warm up, i've had 4 bars with the majority of matches / been matched with people with equally good connections?

Been scared of sorts to use wi-fi for online console gaming, but seems like I was worried about nothing...for now anyway.

WinFonda

actually no, C4 got one too many buffs. it's very, very OP right now. they are being tossed around like candy and they are deadly as fuck.

Nades are not as good. The knockdown nerf really hurts. Maybe nades are fine where they are if the game were more balanced, but with C4 being as OP as it is, it's really skewing my opinion. I mean I considered myself a pretty good nade user and at least half the kills were from the knockdown... good players already knew how to avoid it somewhat but with the nerf you can't count on any sort of knockdown now.

C4 is better in every way except for distance and throw speed, which makes nades the more situational gear item, which is very wrong for a game like Uncharted.

actually no, C4 got one too many buffs. it's very, very OP right now. they are being tossed around like candy and they are deadly as fuck.

Nades are not as good. The knockdown nerf really hurts. Maybe nades are fine where they are if the game were more balanced, but with C4 being as OP as it is, it's really skewing my opinion. I mean I considered myself a pretty good nade user and at least half the kills were from the knockdown... good players already knew how to avoid it somewhat but with the nerf you can't count on any sort of knockdown now.

C4 is better in every way except for distance and throw speed, which makes nades the more situational gear item, which is very wrong for a game like Uncharted.
Honestly, it feels like Mr. Cockburn is trying to turn Uncharted MP into a generic military FPS game...

Foxxsoxx

Eh completely disagree, I think they're balanced fine at the moment. Nades allow you to be much more aggressive than C4 ever can. I consistently melt people with grenades pre-patch and post patch.

I've never had a single moment in this games life where I thought C4 was in any way overpowered. Actually, I can think of maybe a handful of occasions where I've actually died from C4 as opposed to how consistently grenades kill me. It is very easy to spot with the giant icon that shows up when it is thrown which lets you know to avoid the area. That's just me though :\

Honestly, it feels like Mr. Cockburn is trying to turn Uncharted MP into a generic military FPS game...

That's mature :\

They have stats and clearly C4 wasn't being used and grenades were being used more than intended. Uncharted has had its fair share of horrible patches over the years but they've handled U4 beautifully.

That's mature :\

They have stats and clearly C4 wasn't being used and grenades were being used more than intended.
Definitely more mature than Excel-based MP game development :\

Grenade is a staple in the Uncharted series. You guys need to get it through your heads. I don't mind new additions, but they shouldn't ruin stuff that always existed in this game.

I don't care if it's overused or not, they shouldn't force long-time players to use new stuff if they don't want to.

Un-nerf grenades and bring back staple boosters like Sure Foot and Treasure Bearer.

Uncharted has had its fair share of horrible patches over the years but they've handled U4 beautifully.
Really? Then again, you're one of the guys who endorsed SBMM. So yeah, you must love their patches, even if they increase lag.

Foxxsoxx

I really can't take you seriously if you think grenades are trash Tap. They're still excellent as they've ever been, they just require a little more skill to use than before where you could throw it in someones general direction and get a knockback from hell. As for bringing boosters back, I really wouldn't mind if they did return but I won't cry if they don't.

As for SBMM, I really don't mind it one way or the other. To give some perspective I absolutely despise it in Destiny because of how unplayable it makes the game in both lag and how sweaty almost every match is where it is ran down to the wire because of how strong the matchmaking algorithm is set.

However in Uncharted I find it much more lax, sure there is lag at times (when has there never been lag in Uncharted amirite?) but it isn't consistently happening to me very often at all except Ranked, but that's usually a team of cancerous players with bad connections no matter where they play. Again, the SBMM algorithm used doesn't seem to be favored highly with skill as opposed to connection because in my experience I consistently destroy the other team playing solo.

I just played about 8 matches and I think the lowest score I got was a game going 18-6? Hell the last one was 24-0. It doesn't seem very skill based at all nor has it ever for me. If it ever becomes a problem then sure I'll speak up about it, but I like to experience it first hand rather than blatantly hate it at first glance like I could of done considering I despise SBMM in Destiny with a passion.

It's not a matter of them being crap. It's not a matter of skill either. I consistently got grenade kills in UC3 MP, despite the throwback mechanic.

I can't take you seriously when you think it's OK to nerf something repeatedly and keep its price the same (4LP). I mentioned the UC3 shottie before, because it's not the first time ND does the same mistake. Too bad most people don't remember that.

Are grenades really worth 4LP? Does ND understand game economy? Do they even understand that they can make the meta-game deeper by adding boosters like Sure Foot instead of issuing consecutive grenade nerfs? Is it really that hard to figure this out?

I won't claim that all ND employees are the same, because they're not. Robert may love C4 a bit too much (personal preferences are fine, but a Lead MP designer needs to be 100% unbiased), while on the other hand I remember QTrain saying (on Twitch chat I think) that they may release a Sure Foot booster. I don't think there's unanimous consensus about game balance in ND HQ. Hell, I even remember Kurt Margenau hating Revenge, even though a (former) ND employee loved it. Go figure.

Regarding SBMM, I think the consensus is that the player pool is too small (more so in certain regions) to afford it. People can argue all day about UC4 MP being a super popular game (even though it had zero promotion compared to UC3's Subway advertising campaign), but the truth is that ND doesn't want to release player pool stats in public. "If you got it, flaunt it". ND clearly doesn't have anything to flaunt about and we all know why...

The fact that they had to introduce a relic cap & 300 UCP packs speaks volumes. Their customer/player base is not as big as it should be and it's constantly shrinking (don't take my word for it, just look at the leaderboards and/or Twitch's most popular games). Despite of what some people may think, Sony wants to make money from this game. They're a business, not a charity. If there's not a big enough customer base, they'll just pull the plug earlier
(say goodbye to the "free" roadmap)
and they'll concentrate on their next cash cow, aka TLOU2.

I don't think the nade knockback makes that much difference right? Because you could just jump to avoid the knockback animation.

What doesn't make sense to me is intentionally crafting overlap between the functionality of grenades and C4. C4 is neat but I thought the idea is that it was there to be used defensively, as a trapping mechanism, but now people are using them as a means of replacing grenades, throwing them long distances and attempting to displace and or kill players at mid-long ranges.

If they were undervalued that was because that style of defensive play that they were orientated to was undervalued in itself, in the games competitive multiplayer. What they should have done was enhanced the features that make the good at their niche, things like explosive radius, the fact that other players can easily see the priming animation etc. they could have tweaked those elements to make the C4 better at its niche, and therefore more useful.

Now we have people asking 'grenades or C4' because they can both fill a very similar role. However, that shouldn't be a question at all, whether you're using grenades or C4 should have been an obvious choice based on your playstyle and what you seek to do within a match, but now that they have more overlap in their aggressive capacity the decision is clouded. This is an issue as it makes loadout choices less distinct, and gameplay styles less specific, the players choice becomes less meaningful.

Finally got around to getting into U4MP, but due to moving stuff around the house im stuck using wi-fi for the consoles. That being said, I guess im lucky since in warm up, i've had 4 bars with the majority of matches / been matched with people with equally good connections?

Been scared of sorts to use wi-fi for online console gaming, but seems like I was worried about nothing...for now anyway.

The quality/speed needed to get 4 bars in UC4 multiplayer is so low you can use a mobile phone and connect to that via wifi.

You're actually better off using a mobile Hotspot. You will find yourself doing much better.

This really isn't true. You will just find yourself trading kills all the time.

If you're awful then you might find that better than your average performance, but otherwise it just provides a long time for your aggressor to down you before you register to the server that he's already down.

This really isn't true. You will just find yourself trading kills all the time.

If you're awful then you might find that better than your average performance, but otherwise it just provides a long time for your aggressor to down you before you register to the server that he's already down.
I know someone who was playing UC3 MP via 3G and he was doing just fine. Not a single white plug.

I know someone who was playing UC3 MP via 3G and he was doing just fine. Not a single white plug.

Latency isn't THAT bad on 3G networks though. 130 ish ms of a typical 3G network is probably good enough for Uncharted to claim you're on 4 bars.

Certainly not bad enough to trigger white plugging.

Still I don't see it as an advantage. When I played with Strike (who is in Australlia) he would begin to suffer when his connection dropped as far as 2/1 bars. On most lobbies he was fine but the game appeared to give him a tougher experience with certain lobbies where the latency was higher.

Latency isn't THAT bad on 3G networks though. 130 ish ms of a typical 3G network is probably good enough for Uncharted to claim you're on 4 bars.

Certainly not bad enough to trigger white plugging.

Still I don't see it as an advantage. When I played with Strike (who is in Australlia) he would begin to suffer when his connection dropped as far as 2/1 bars. On most lobbies he was fine but the game appeared to give him a tougher experience with certain lobbies where the latency was higher.
It's packet loss that triggers the white plug, not latency.

Strike is better off playing with AUS/NZ folks if he wants to minimize these issues... the fact that his packets have to travel such a huge distance (AUS <-----> EU) means that he is going to face congestion issues and it's not necessarily his fault.

I mean, there could be a router somewhere in the Indian ocean that is overloaded by international traffic, so there's nothing his ISP can do about it either. Some things are out of our control.

I know this first hand, because I have a friend from Australia and he has a 100 Mbps connection (the fastest in the lobby). The thing is, this speed is guaranteed inside his country and NZ maybe. As soon as his packets cross the borders and start travelling across the ocean, all bets are off.

As someone else would say, internet is a series of tubes/pipes. Some pipes are wide, others are narrow, some have to service millions of people, others are relatively underused. In the end, there's no guarantee about connection quality, unless you're playing with cherry-picked, regional people.

It would be really cool if ND could offer us a "debug mode/network status monitor", where you could actually see ping milliseconds, packet loss % and jitter ms in real time. It would help a lot of people to track down connection issues.

edit: Just did a speedtest to Australia (Sydney). 391ms, 14.18 Mbps down, 3.18 Mbps up. This amount of latency is normal for this distance and it shouldn't trigger the white plug, unless the international backbone is congested and there's a lot of packet loss.

Btw, I forgot to mention that the 3G player was in my lobby and he was skipping frames the entire match... it was comical to say the least, but on the other hand I'm pretty sure the opposite team didn't enjoy playing against him. It's not like he was a god tier player, but his connection seemed to make him unstoppable. Draw your own conclusions...

Javin98

Banned
Interestingly, when I play with Stryke, he usually appears as three bars. I'm from Malaysia, so the distance to Australia isn't too far (relatively, of course). In almost every match we're in, I never get the white plug at all. Maybe one or two in extremely rare cases. Almost everyone in the matches are at least three bars. However, when I play alone, I sometimes get matched up with several two bars players and it becomes a white plug fest.

Regarding PS4 Neo aka "Pro"...

No 1080p60 support for the Campaign. There are idiots who still believe that it will deliver 1080p60 in SP games, even though the (overclocked) Jaguar cores still can't handle it. Maybe Zen could pull it off, but we won't get that till the PS5 comes out.

MP will get a 1080p60 bump, but it's not worth to spend 400$/&#8364; for a marginal difference.

PVR will get a bump to 1080p30 (no 1080p60). Share Play and Remote Play will work at 1080p (no mention of 60fps, or fixing the horrendous input lag caused by the video encoder).

It will support 4K output (obviously upscaled/reconstructed, since 4.2 Teraflops are not enough for native 4K) and HDR (OG PS4/Slim models will get a firmware update for that, but you need an HDR screen as well).

A bigger resolution means a bigger drawing distance (very beneficial for long-range snipers), but on the other hand 4K and HDR tend to increase input lag dramatically, which is a huge no-no for online MP games (unless you want to disadvantage yourself).

Future patches will increase in size (in case devs want to add HDR/10-bit textures) for everyone.

Just thought I'd make this post and save you some money. :) This isn't a worthy upgrade, especially if you plan to keep your 1080p TV/monitor.

Regarding PS4 Neo aka "Pro"...

No 1080p60 support for the Campaign. There are idiots who still believe that it will deliver 1080p60 in SP games, even though the (overclocked) Jaguar cores still can't handle it. Maybe Zen could pull it off, but we won't get that till the PS5 comes out.

MP will get a 1080p60 bump, but it's not worth to spend 400$/€ for a marginal difference.

PVR will get a bump to 1080p30 (no 1080p60). Share Play and Remote Play will work at 1080p (no mention of 60fps, or fixing the horrendous input lag caused by the video encoder).

It will support 4K output (obviously upscaled/reconstructed, since 4.2 Teraflops are not enough for native 4K) and HDR (OG PS4/Slim models will get a firmware update for that, but you need an HDR screen as well).

A bigger resolution means a bigger drawing distance (very beneficial for long-range snipers), but on the other hand 4K and HDR tend to increase input lag dramatically, which is a huge no-no for online MP games (unless you want to disadvantage yourself).

Future patches will increase in size (in case devs want to add HDR/10-bit textures) for everyone.

Just thought I'd make this post and save you some money. :) This isn't a worthy upgrade, especially if you plan to keep your 1080p TV/monitor.

This isn't happening. Sony said they don't want to give any advantages to Neo users.

This isn't happening. Sony said they don't want to give any advantages to Neo users.
1080p resolution is mandatory for PS4 games running on Neo. So yeah, it's happening, along with DICE games (900p60).

And come on now, it's a marginal difference... hardly an advantage at all. They could even stabilize the framerate in some areas (that's debatable if it's "P2W").

Unless you think they're going to make a Neo-only pool in UC4 MP... it's the same ecosystem (same discs, same patches). Not PS3 vs PS4.

Btw:
They're not lazy.

It's just that they're busy working on:

1) PS4 Neo update (1080p60)
2) UC4 Left Behind 2.0
3) TLOU2

90% of their resources/manpower are allocated to those projects... the roadmap is "free", so no one can complain about it. I expect huge delays as well.
4) TLOU Remastered patch (I wonder if it could have MP fixes, but I doubt it)

Source: https://blog.eu.playstation.com/2016/09/08/ps4-pro-the-ultimate-faq/

"Some titles previously released will be updated to take advantage of PS4 Pro features, including Uncharted 4: A Thief’s End, The Last of Us Remastered"

TBH, I'm surprised the Uncharted Trilogy won't get the same treatment. :)

http://www.videogamer.com/news/multiplayer_games_will_not_run_at_a_faster_frame_rate_on_ps4_pro.html

"Yes, you're running at a higher resolution"

UC4 MP @ 1080p60 confirmed.

And LOL @ 4K/HDR being a "level playing field"... I guess he's afraid of his boss to speak openly about 4K/HDR input lag. :p

Guess I got frame rate and resolution mixed up. Although resolution does give advantages as well. I thought 1080/60 would be mandatory for single-player, so this is interesting.

Guess I got frame rate and resolution mixed up. Although resolution does give advantages as well. I thought 1080/60 would be mandatory for single-player, so this is interesting.
1080p is mandatory, not 60fps.

UC4 SP already maxes out the CPU at 30fps, so a 30% overclock will give you 40fps tops.

Regarding framerate:

"Q: Will PS4 Pro owners have a performance advantage in online games when competing against standard PS4 players?
Generally, no. Playtesting and balancing is up to each game developer, and while it&#8217;s true that PS4 Pro&#8217;s more powerful hardware can drive smoother or more stable frame rates in supported titles, developers have many tools and processes they can use to prevent imbalances."

I guess Remnants will play smoother on the PS4 Pro...

edit: https://twitter.com/cgyrling/status/773876259495505922

Is there a known issue with relics not adding up in U4 mp? I've played at least 3 matches in a row without receiving any relics, or rather, they didn't get added to my total.

Edit: 5 now. Server issues? Anything i can do about it?

Edit2: I haven't exceeded the relic cap btw, i'm at 285.

Is there a known issue with relics not adding up in U4 mp? I've played at least 3 matches in a row without receiving any relics, or rather, they didn't get added to my total.

Edit: 5 now. Server issues? Anything i can do about it?

Edit2: I haven't exceeded the relic cap btw, i'm at 285.

I had 3 games last night where i didn't get any relics but then they all appeared after a 4th. I just presumed some server delay

This is BS. I tried again a bit later and it's still the same. 6 wins by now that i haven't gotten any relics for. This just had to happen during the dlc chests sale. I don't even dare to do daily challenges until this gets resolved. :I

When i log into mp it takes a while to show my relics and Uncharted points, instead it says "connecting" for a good 30 seconds. I've never seen this before. Is it safe to say it's an server issue and not a problem on my end?

uncharted4_athiefsendldaml.png

I had 3 games last night where i didn't get any relics but then they all appeared after a 4th. I just presumed some server delay

Oh, so you got all the missing relic points after the fact? I hope the same happens for me.

Edit: Seems like i'm not alone with this, someone opened a thread about the same issue in the ND forums today. I've also checked my alt account and it's also slow to load relics/UP when i log in.

Couldn't find players at all tonight. Is this game healthy? I keep wanting to sell it but Im still holding out for team objective.

Matchmaking really bums me out

Couldn't find players at all tonight. Is this game healthy? I keep wanting to sell it but Im still holding out for team objective.

Matchmaking really bums me out
Well, this thread is dead and most of my friends have stopped playing UC4 MP. :\

Thank you ND for SBMM... this game is so "competitive".

Nev

Banned
It's pretty sad that both Uncharted 2 and 3 were much more active than this, because Uncharted 4 has the most solid gameplay of the three, by far. I remember the community in the official forums was very healthy, especially for Uncharted 3. It's dead in Uncharted 4 and the game just launched. The game is excellent and has incredible potential, but the lack of launch content hurt it a lot, and what's worse, the support hasn't been swift or particularly good.

If they don't have the time then outsource it to a multiplayer developer, they created a fantastic foundation but this needs proper support. Seriously if this game had the attention of something like Smite it would become the go-to PS4 exclusive multiplayer, it's blaffing how they fail to realise this fact.

If the upcoming "summer" update doesn't have TO or classic mode I'm afraid I'm done. Command is trash, not even remotely comparable, they should replace it with TO.

If I were to manage the game I'd wait until there is co-op and more modes then I'd launch a F2P version with monthly support.

It's pretty sad that both Uncharted 2 and 3 were much more active than this, because Uncharted 4 has the most solid gameplay of the three, by far. I remember the community in the official forums was very healthy, especially for Uncharted 3. It's dead in Uncharted 4 and the game just launched. The game is excellent and has incredible potential, but the lack of launch content hurt it a lot, and what's worse, the support hasn't been swift or particularly good.

If they don't have the time then outsource it to a multiplayer developer, they created a fantastic foundation but this needs proper support. Seriously if this game had the attention of something like Smite it would become the go-to PS4 exclusive multiplayer, it's blaffing how they fail to realise this fact.

If the upcoming "summer" update doesn't have TO or classic mode I'm afraid I'm done. Command is trash, not even remotely comparable, they should replace it with TO.

If I were to manage the game I'd wait until there is co-op and more modes then I'd launch a F2P version with monthly support.
The thing is, ND has a lot on their plate. All these 4K re-remasters require resources & manpower that could be spent on this MP...

If their boss (Sony) tells them to work on 4K stuff, they'll just do that. Remember the first patch of UC3 (1.01) and what it was about?

It's really sad to see Christian Gyrling in the role of a 4K TV salesman. It is what it is.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
They're going to live stream (lol) the Bounty Hunters DLC on September 21, at 10:30 AM pacific time via Twitch.

Nev

Banned
We'll finally be able to see what the great gameplay of Uncharted 4 plays like in an actual good Uncharted map. I'd be completely fine with them removing all but River, Rooftops, Sunken Ruins and New Devon and bringing back all of the classic maps tbh.

Ranked? Yeah, don't.

Other playlists I find matches in about 30 seconds.

Ranked is dead, isn't it? I swear I never get matches.

I really wish theyd just drop it. Past ND games never needed a ranked mode to be competitive.

But I was looking for matches in TDM. Still couldnt find anything. I was with a friend the other day and had no issue, but struggled solo.

Doesn't take me long to find matches in ranked. Maybe a minute or two, sometimes a little longer, up to five minutes, but that's to be expected from any ranking system that makes a clear effort to match you with same skilled opponents.

Even games like league, with one hundred million players, can experience pretty slow ranked queue times. Oddly enough it isn't because there aren't enough people, it's just because of how the system filters through potential matches to find a best-fit and that process can be quite slow.

eFKac

Ranked is dead, isn't it? I swear I never get matches.

I really wish theyd just drop it. Past ND games never needed a ranked mode to be competitive.

But I was looking for matches in TDM. Still couldnt find anything. I was with a friend the other day and had no issue, but struggled solo.

Lol fuck no.

Ranked is the only place where you can consistently play against skilled players.

I go through the noobs in non ranked like a knife through butter, it's not fun at all.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
Live update because the relics discount sale is now over and chests are back to their regular relic price aka OVERPRICED.

Naughty Dog, please consider making them cheaper. This sale was awesome and imo was the way to price these chests.

Top Bottom