• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 4: A Thief's End Multiplayer |OT| Swinging To Victory

Classic mode would be a huge waste of time. People need to get over it.

Id be pissed if they added classic over a new mode like bounty hunter.

Ranked needs to go. Ideally:

-TDM Mercenary (no parties)
-TDM
-Plunder
-Command
-Bounty Hunter
-Team Objective (which could also eliminate Plunder as a dedicated playlist)

Plunder is really bad in UC4

I thought ranked mode is dead? What does it matter if it stays? I feel that people want it gone because they can't get the ranked rewards they want, or something. Either way, a lot of the people play ranked because its the most competitive mode, if you remove it they will either quit or adopt a new mode as their competitive standard and the regular playlist will see a considerable increase in sweaty 5 man party's. I'm not sure what the game or community has to benefit from doing this.

I also thought it was clear at this stage that they're using a dynamic match filtering approach, not separated no party playlists. They've responded to people and explained this decision, and ultimately I think it's the better approach as separate playlists would kill the experience for smaller parties (being 2 or 3 in the party playlist on TLOU is rough).

Christos

Classic mode by far the most mentioned thing in the chat; still completely ignored despite talking about other things that were mentioned much less frequently. Downright disrespectful at this point. Also, yet another heavily team oriented mode, yay.

Edit: Just now they mentioned Classic mode, they said it's something they'll consider now that they're done with this DLC. There's still hope for this game I guess.

I don't understand why anyone would want a classic mode, they did the same thing with UC3 and no one played it. It would also remove many fun aspects of the game. (Downs especially) It's just gonna be a dead playlist that no one plays.

Nev

Banned
I don't understand why anyone would want a classic mode, they did the same thing with UC3 and no one played it. It would also remove many fun aspects of the game. (Downs especially) It's just gonna be a dead playlist that no one plays.

Downs are "fun"? Killing three people with a grenade only to have them revived instantly is a weird definition of fun.

Again, U3 was nowhere near as different as U4, regular TDM there still had weapon pick-up, there were no downs, no in-game shop, no NPCs, etc. The only different thing were the kickbacks (infinitely less impactful and frequent than mystical/sidekicks) and starting weapons. Weapon pick-up alone changes the game in a fundamental level.

Classic mode makes much, much more sense in Uncharted 4 and it wouldn't be dead for sure. It was dead in U3 because there just wasn't a point in playing that when TDM was basically the same with some minor additions. Additions in Uncharted 4 aren't minor, at all. That's the difference.

Christos

Downs are "fun"? Killing three people with a grenade only to have them revived instantly is a weird definition of fun.

Again, U3 was nowhere near as different as U4, regular TDM there still had weapon pick-up, there were no downs, no in-game shop, no NPCs, etc. The only different thing were the kickbacks (infinitely less impactful and frequent than mystical/sidekicks) and starting weapons. Weapon pick-up alone changes the game in a fundamental level.

Classic mode makes much, much more sense in Uncharted 4 and it wouldn't be dead for sure. It was dead in U3 because there just wasn't a point in playing that when TDM was basically the same with some minor additions. Additions in Uncharted 4 aren't minor, at all. That's the difference.

Downs can make a lot of difference when a team works together, it can also allow some matches to be turned around more easily (because you have the chance to deny them the KO) and I think this makes the game more fun.

BHK3

Banned
Nope, Erin Daly still remains radio silent about it.

People need to be more vocal or else ND will never address it (just like they did with Classic)...

I don't expect them to, getting pulled off ledges you ran by 5 seconds ago is a Uncharted staple.

Javin98

Banned
One bad thing I've noticed though is that the FPS get noticeable lower while playing BH because of the absolute chaos.
Then, by your definition, BH mode must run at 30FPS because according to you, other modes already "struggle to hit 50FPS" when any fight happens.

Also, did you get your "superior sharp" shadows back in Village?

skelekey

The new Village Sucks. It's too damn spread out. I don't know if it's me, maybe I'll get used to it. But whenever I play there something always feels off.

Then, by your definition, BH mode must run at 30FPS because according to you, other modes already "struggle to hit 50FPS" when any fight happens.

Maybe the new visual effects are a bit too taxing for the GPU... I wonder if the PS4 Pro version could offer stable 60fps for UC4 MP?

I know Christian said they're not going to offer a higher framerate* (like 90-120 fps) for Pro users, but maybe they could stabilize it. ;) #PR_semantics

It's not like a higher framerate would offer much of an advantage either way... it would only make the current netcode engine seem even more crappy than it already is. :p

Javin98

Banned
Maybe the new visual effects are a bit too taxing for the GPU... I wonder if the PS4 Pro version could offer stable 60fps for UC4 MP?

I know Christian said they're not going to offer a higher framerate (like 90-120 fps) for Pro users, but maybe they could stabilize it. ;) #PR_semantics
Did you forget when Nev said the game struggles to hold 50FPS during fights? That is clearly false. I proved him wrong with a video from DF. The game holds 60FPS most of the time and only drops to mid 50's in the heaviest fire fights. Clearly, that is far better than "struggles to hold 50FPS in any fight". My post was in reference to that. Say what you want about me being unable to let it go, but I refuse to do so when someone spurts bullshit continuously.

Did you forget when Nev said the game struggles to hold 50FPS during fights? That is clearly false. I proved him wrong with a video from DF. The game holds 60FPS most of the time and only drops to mid 50's in the heaviest fire fights. Clearly, that is far better than "struggles to hold 50FPS in any fight". My post was in reference to that. Say what you want about me being unable to let it go, but I refuse to do so when someone spurts bullshit continuously.
Yeah, but I don't care about starting a fight over this... :p

The framerate drops when tons of effects are going on, mainly mysticals (lots of particles/alpha effects). Typical GPU-bound scenario.

Sidecocks are CPU-driven (minus the AI pathfinding, which is GPGPU* accelerated <-- this could also explain some bugs in certain maps, unless they fixed them). Tons of sidecocks can potentially drop the framerate as well.

* https://twitter.com/jqgregory/status/663196554883297280

Javin98

Banned
Yeah, but I don't care about starting a fight over this... :p

The framerate drops when tons of effects are going on, mainly mysticals (lots of particles/alpha effects). Typical GPU-bound scenario.

Sidecocks are CPU-driven (minus the AI pathfinding, which is GPGPU* accelerated <-- this could also explain some bugs in certain maps, unless they fixed them). Tons of sidecocks can potentially drop the framerate as well.

* https://twitter.com/jqgregory/status/663196554883297280
Yep, pretty typical scenario. Heavy alpha effects can tank frame rate. What more, Uncharted 4 (both SP and MP) have shadows cast on particles, usually smoke, which makes them even more demanding.

Nev

Banned

Nah not 30fps, but certainly sub 50 when everybody is in the same place and there are a lot of these worthless NPCs around.

And no, classic Village isn't back, it's a worse looking version of U3, which is unfortunate. And of course they made it bigger to accommodate for the shitty NPCs and overbloated additions, so they fucked it up in terms of gameplay too.

village-uncharted-3-flashback-map-screen-2.jpg

I can't believe how much of a generational leap this is, holy shit have you seen that realistic PBR? The blurried shadows, the vaseline filter, the washed out, colorless look... so next gen. I mean who wants colors? That's for little kids, tone that shit down and if any color is left, make it pastel. It's not like Uncharted has always been known for its colorful, vibrant, almost cartoony look. But hey, add next gen foliage. Blur in everything is such a great thing too, let's make the game look so smooth and soft, it'll make 720p look sharper than 900p, sounds like a great idea.

I'm not even bothering to bring the original map look into the equation, everybody already knows it's still to this day one of the best looking multiplayer maps ever, certainly better than this new version, despite the lack of PBR, poly count and every other raw data people want to throw in.

I can't wait for them to keep sucking the color out of every other classic map they release, my TV is already at full color setting and artificial sharpening when playing Uncharted 4. Nice of you to check in for such a valuable insight anyways m8.

Javin98

Banned
*shitpost*
Marvellous! You managed to make yourself look dumb again by using technical terms where they don't apply! Such a great achievement! Also, let's continue dismissing the damn facts and use your own logic. Hell, did you know on my PS4 I can run games at 4K? Your UC2/3 shots also don't help your point, but who cares? Your eyes tell all! Keep going, man. You're amusing.

Wow! 720p looks sharper than 900p? Shit, why are we even on current gen, then? Let's go back to the PS3! The gen of 720p, jagged as hell goodness!

@Nev

Maybe you should buy a PS4 Pro along with a 4K TV and then you're going to enjoy more colors, as Christian said. :p

#HDR_Master_Race

On a serious note, I really really want a remake of the Highrise (the UC2 version of course)!
No facts are going to help when Nev is just a childish poster who can't admit that he just prefers the art style of the previous games and it has nothing to do with the technical terms.

@Nev

Maybe you should buy a PS4 Pro along with a 4K TV and then you're going to enjoy more colors, as Christian said. :p

#HDR_Master_Race

On a serious note, I really really want a remake of the Highrise (the UC2 version of course)!

I thought ranked mode is dead? What does it matter if it stays? I feel that people want it gone because they can't get the ranked rewards they want, or something. Either way, a lot of the people play ranked because its the most competitive mode, if you remove it they will either quit or adopt a new mode as their competitive standard and the regular playlist will see a considerable increase in sweaty 5 man party's. I'm not sure what the game or community has to benefit from doing this.

I also thought it was clear at this stage that they're using a dynamic match filtering approach, not separated no party playlists. They've responded to people and explained this decision, and ultimately I think it's the better approach as separate playlists would kill the experience for smaller parties (being 2 or 3 in the party playlist on TLOU is rough).

I dont care about rewards. I just think its a giant waste of time and resources to play matches, get a standing, and matchmake with people close to that standing

That filters rank and region and the community just isnt there for that.

Party and no party playlists are fine. Parties playlist had the competitive play people want without needing some rank to make things feel official or esports

Id much rather have a playlist for solo and party players than a ranked mode that is a pain to matchmake with.

It can be really unpleasant for solo players to jump into tdm and get put against 5 man teams. That's something worth prioritizing over a nonsense ranked mode.

It worked perfectly fine in LoU and Ive had tons of great competitive matches that are similar to what you find in a ranked mode of a game

This isnt like rainbow 6 or overwatch where the rules change for ranked either. It's the same exact game.

We need a tighter playlist eventually, and I don't see the point of 2-3 TDM modes.

Wow! 720p looks sharper than 900p? Shit, why are we even on current gen, then? Let's go back to the PS3! The gen of 720p, jagged as hell goodness!

No facts are going to help when Nev is just a childish poster who can't admit that he just prefers the art style of the previous games and it has nothing to do with the technical terms.
Whether we like it or not, not everyone cares about technology.

UC2 MP looked good for its time, but it was a 30fps game. If it was a 60fps one, it would look like a PS2 game. It's just not a fair comparison.

UC4 MP would be a lot prettier at 1080p30, but I think the majority prefers 900p60.

And now that I mention it, I wonder if Co-op Adventure (not Arena) could be 1080p30 (like the Campaign)... UC2 MP Co-op Adventure had phenomenal graphics (especially Nepal Warzone) for a MP game, almost as good as the UC2 SP.

Javin98

Banned
Whether we like it or not, not everyone cares about technology.

UC2 MP looked good for its time, but it was a 30fps game. If it was a 60fps one, it would look like a PS2 game. It's just not a fair comparison.

UC4 MP would be a lot prettier at 1080p30, but I think the majority prefers 900p60.

And now that I mention it, I wonder if Co-op Adventure (not Arena) could be 1080p30 (like the Campaign)... UC2 MP Co-op Adventure had phenomenal graphics (especially Nepal Warzone) for a MP game, almost as good as the UC2 SP.
I don't have an issue at all if someone prefers art style over graphics tech entirely. In fact, IMO, the best looking games are the one that has the perfect blend of both. I also have no issue if someone thinks Mario Kart 8 or Splatoon are the best looking games for them. My problem with nev is he brings up technical terms and uses them completely wrongly. Furthermore, when proven wrong, he is too stubborn and childish to back down. He said "much better shading and lighting" even before the whole feud began. If he didn't, I wouldn't even bother continuing. As a tech geek, I feel the need to correct others when misinformation is spread. But when you have someone so obstinate and immature, why bother? ;)

I'm not even bothering to bring the original map look into the equation, everybody already knows it's still to this day one of the best looking multiplayer maps ever, certainly better than this new version, despite the lack of PBR, poly count and every other raw data people want to throw in.

I can't wait for them to keep sucking the color out of every other classic map they release, my TV is already at full color setting and artificial sharpening when playing Uncharted 4. Nice of you to check in for such a valuable insight anyways m8.

I don't care about these pissing contests in here, but as someone who put over a 1000 hours into U2 mp, i don't understand your complaints about colors being sucked out of classic maps, while at the same time praising U2 Village as one of the best looking mp maps ever. The original Village map was the definiton of the "next gen" brownish look so popular at the time.

Disktrasa

Banned
I hope i can find my answer here; i bought the game on uspsn, but i only play on my eupsn. Games is a lot cheaper on uspsn then eupsn for me, but i would like to buy the explorer pack.

But, if i buy that on uspsn, i think the points will be locked to my us account? And if i buy the explorer pack on eupsn, will i get the points and will the storydlc work, probably not.

Am i screwed or can someone here enlighten me?

Javin98

Banned
I don't care about these pissing contests in here, but as someone who put over a 1000 hours into U2 mp, i don't understand your complaints about colors being sucked out in this new version, while at the same time praising U2 Village as one of the best looking mp maps ever. The original Village map was the definiton of the "next gen" brownish look so popular at the time.
To be fair, the UC2 MP Village shot is significantly more colorful than the UC4 version, at least. However, it has nothing to do with "lighting" or "shading".

Drencrom

Long rant

Are you serious? Your rant is neigh on delusional, like what is wrong with the colors? The new rendition is just as colorful. And your talk about the UC4 map being uglier than the UC2/UC3 versions is just laughable, they look dated as hell compared the new one. The "vaseline filter" makes me question if you have even played UC2 on PS3 lately. It's a jaggy 720p mess compared to UC4 MP:s 900p and AA solution. You can also turn off the blur completely in the options now too.

I guess your problems stems in that UC4's graphics just isn't uprezzed UC2 graphics.

To be fair, the UC2 MP Village shot is significantly more colorful than the UC4 version, at least. However, it has nothing to do with "lighting" or "shading".

That's a shot from the UC3 Village rendition. The original UC2 version is much more brown and dull colorwise.

What he posted is the U3 "bright sunny day" version, which is indeed very colorful, but from what i understand he doesn't like that one much either. On the other hand, U2 Village looked like this.

I hope i can find my answer here; i bought the game on uspsn, but i only play on my eupsn. Games is a lot cheaper on uspsn then eupsn for me, but i would like to buy the explorer pack.

But, if i buy that on uspsn, i think the points will be locked to my us account? And if i buy the explorer pack on eupsn, will i get the points and will the storydlc work, probably not.

Am i screwed or can someone here enlighten me?

Yes, unlocks are tied to your account, so if you buy Uncharted points on one account, you won't be able to use them or whatever you unlock with them on your other account.

Edit:

Are you serious? Your rant is neigh on delusional, like what is wrong with the colors? The new rendition is just as colorful. And your talk about the UC4 map being uglier than the UC2/UC3 versions is just laughable, they look dated as hell compared the new one. The "vaseline filter" makes me question if you have even played UC2 on PS4 lately. It's a jaggy 720p mess compared to UC4 MP:s 900p and AA solution. You can also turn off the blur completely in the options now too.

I mean, jaggies do look pretty sharp, can't argue with that.

Javin98

Banned
What he posted is the U3 "bright sunny day" version, which is indeed very colorful, but from what i understand he doesn't like that one much either. On the other hand, U2 Village looked like this.
My God. Thanks for the link. This is more colorful than the UC4 version?! I don't like using this term, but you gotta be fucking blind to think so. Now Nev's argument has absolutely zero merit. Surprise, surprise.

Are you serious? Your rant is neigh on delusional, like what is wrong with the colors? The new rendition is just as colorful. And your talk about the UC4 map being uglier than the UC2/UC3 versions are just laughable, they look dated as hell compared the new one. The "vaseline filter" makes me question if you have even played UC2 on PS4 lately. It's a jaggy 720p mess compared to UC4 MP:s 900p and AA solution. You can also turn off the blur completely in the options now too.

I guess your problems stems that UC4 graphics just isn't uprezzed UC2 graphics.

That's a shot from the UC3 Village rendition. The original UC2 version is much more brown and dull colorwise.
Thank God I'm not the only one who finds Nev's rants ridiculous as hell. I admit, I may have been overboard with the sarcasm in that one post, but I'm just tired of talking to someone who is too fucking stubborn to back down. When everyone else is against Nev's claims, it's clear that I'm not at fault here.

Also, I'm still pondering what vaseline filter even means. UC4's TAA does create artifacts in motion, but it is significantly sharper than many TAA solutions out there. Much sharper than a 720p image anyway.

Also, I'm still pondering what vaseline filter even means. UC4's TAA does create artifacts in motion, but it is significantly sharper than many TAA solutions out there. Much sharper than a 720p image anyway.
Maybe he was talking about 900p, which causes a slight blurriness in 1080p screens, so a PS4 Pro would help in that regard. Back in the 720p era, most people had CRT TVs or HD ready ones.

Yes, unlocks are tied to your account, so if you buy Uncharted points on one account, you won't be able to use them or whatever you unlock with them on your other account. Sadly this is a change from the worse from last gen, where you could use multiplayer dlc on all of your accounts. I think story mode will be playable on all accounts though.
You're right, but I don't agree that it's necessarily "worse".

1) It punishes alt accounts.
2) All "small" DLCs are downloaded automatically. Does anyone remember the PS3 download list mess? Dozens of UC3 skins that had to be downloaded manually one by one... thanks, but no thanks.

Either way, this is a Sony/PSN thing. ND has nothing to do with it.

Javin98

Banned
Maybe he was talking about 900p, which causes a slight blurriness in 1080p screens, so a PS4 Pro would help in that regard. Back in the 720p era, most people had CRT TVs or HD ready ones.
Even then, 720p upscaled to a 1080p TV would look significantly blurrier than 900p upscaled to a 1080p TV. Whatever the case, it is straight up impossible for 720p to look sharper than 900p, unless the game is doing tons of post processing crap at 900p that the 720p game isn't doing. But that's certainly not the case here. So, yes, Nev is delusional.

Nev

Banned
Do you even understand the notion of "looking better"? In no way it implies that the technology behind it is superior, I said that in the very first post of this discussion, you need to get yourself some reading comprehension. And some manners while you're at it, you're constantly using insults like "dumb" or "immature", you're not succeeding at offending me with these, it's just annoying and rude.

I prefer the look of 2009's Uncharted 2 and Uncharted 3 over the PS4 game, despite the lesser technology behind these. Call it artslyle, call it different approach, I think it looks better, end of the story. Get over it already.

This:

Will always look better than this to me:

That said, and as I said before, it is ultimately pointless because 60fps is the undisputable priority in multiplayer and they made the right decision, but that doesn't change the fact that Uncharted 2 multiplayer looked almost exactly like the single player -I'd say the exact same- and Uncharted 4 was downgraded, though that's a different thing altogether, considering the washed out filter is present in the single player too because Druckmann thinks it's more mature and realistic, or some of that pretentious bs.

Are you serious? Your rant is neigh on delusional, like what is wrong with the colors? The new rendition is just as colorful.

Mmm ok? It's not like I posted a comparison where it is clear as day that Uncharted 4 colors are obviously washed out.

while at the same time praising U2 Village as one of the best looking mp maps ever. The original Village map was the definiton of the "next gen" brownish look so popular at the time.

Except it has that look because it's the look that specific map was going for, since the rest of the maps don't look like that at all: it's not a unified brown "next-gen" style like say Killzone 2 or Gears of War. And it looks absolutely unreal for a 2009 game.

Javin98

Banned
Do you even understand the notion of "looking better"? In no way it implies that the technology behind it is superior, I said that in the very first post of this discussion, you need to get yourself some reading comprehension. And some manners while you're at it, you're constantly using insults like "dumb" or "immature", you're not succeeding at offending me with these, it's just annoying and rude.

I prefer the look of Uncharted 2 and Uncharted 3, despite the lesser technology behind these. Call it artslyle, call it different approach, I think it looks better, end of the story. Get over it already.
Again, I would have absolutely no issues at all if you just said you prefer the art style of UC2/3 MP. Instead, you had to bring up "much better lighting and shading". Those aren't things that are subjective, those are facts. You simply like the art style more, end of story. I proved you wrong factually, but you refused to back down over and over again. Instead you used the technical terms in a sarcastic manner like everyone's going to like you for being a smartass. If I'm not "succeeding at offending you", you're failing hard at "sounding like a smartass" and instead making yourself look like a dumbass to people who know tech.

Didnt ND say no map remakes?

I wonder if theyll make new maps or give us more old ones going forward.

I am definitely happy with 2 maps in a short period of time. But now I feel like we wont see another one in a while :(

Id be impressed if they added maps regularly. Is expecting 2 more before 2017 too much?

I love New Devon and Sunken Ruins for opposite reasons.

I feel they brought back village because its relatively flat compared to other classics. It's also a fan fave which helps

I think I trust ND to make new maps instead of relying on fan faves

but that doesn't change the fact that Uncharted 2 multiplayer looked almost exactly like the single player -I'd say the exact same-
This isn't true, unless you're talking about UC2 Co-op Adventure. Competitive & Co-op Arena MP looked nowhere near as good as the Campaign.

Didnt ND say no map remakes?

I wonder if theyll make new maps or give us more old ones going forward.

I am definitely happy with 2 maps in a short period of time. But now I feel like we wont see another one in a while :(

Id be impressed if they added maps regularly. Is expecting 2 more before 2017 too much?

I love New Devon and Sunken Ruins for opposite reasons.

I feel they brought back village because its relatively flat compared to other classics. It's also a fan fave which helps

I think I trust ND to make new maps instead of relying on fan faves
I want both old & new maps.

So BH is pretty damn fun, not really a big fan of the bullet sponge mystical but it's wutever.

Anyone lookin for someone to play with my psn is same as gaf. THe_DeiCiDe

Javin98

Banned
This isn't true, unless you're talking about UC2 Co-op Adventure. Competitive & Co-op Arena MP looked nowhere near as good as the Campaign.
Watching the video linked, I was just about to say that, but then I thought "Nawh, Nev ain't going to learn shit anyway". Just from several seconds of watching the video, I could clearly tell that textures were significantly parred back. Oh, but no, when Nev loves the art style, any downgrades from the SP is negated.

Except it has that look because it's the look that specific map was going for, since the rest of the maps don't look like that at all: it's not a unified brown "next-gen" style like say Killzone 2 or Gears of War. And it looks absolutely unreal for a 2009 game.

That much is obvious, but from what i understand you prefer the U2 version of Village to the U3 version (which, while nicely colorful, was kinda harsh on the eyes, imo). Why the complaints about sucking the color out of classic maps then, when you can clearly appreciate a more muted approach?

In UC3 originally instead of classic mode they had Hardcore mode which was meant to be for classic fans but really wasn't. They dug in deep and said they not changing it so lots of players interested in it left game. When they finally said "OK here is classic mode" the game was a year old, it was right in the middle of all the big new christmas games and many players had moved on.

Too little too late. Stuff like that needs be there day one. Most players will not return to a game once they have left it and got invested in other games.

So BH is pretty damn fun, not really a big fan of the bullet sponge mystical but it's wutever.

It's super intense and team oriented

Best of all, there is insane variety

Smoke, c4, nades, medpack all valuable

Path of indra, eye of indra, el dorado, cintimani, asgard, all valuable

Lots of healing and frantic surviving.

It's a well thought out twist, though securing the captain bounty is almost not worth it if you end up losing a bunch of bounties trying

That's more the fault of bad team coordination

It's super intense and team oriented

Best of all, there is insane variety

Smoke, c4, nades, medpack all valuable

Path of indra, eye of indra, el dorado, cintimani, asgard, all valuable

Lots of healing and frantic surviving.

It's a well thought out twist, though securing the captain bounty is almost not worth it if you end up losing a bunch of bounties trying

That's more the fault of bad team coordination

Lulz, I agree. It's borderline exhausting.

Drencrom

Mmm ok? It's not like I posted a comparison where it is clear as day that Uncharted 4 colors are obviously washed out.

I meant compared to the UC2 map, which I guess is your favorite going by your comments on the UC3 rendition. The UC2 Village map is so dark and brown so I don't understand why you think the UC4 version is so colorless compared to it. I'd also like to point out that you're cherry picking images, comparing UC2 SP shots with old UC4 MP promo shots that fits your narrative.

Oh well, just stick to UC2 if you don't like the artstyle of UC4. I've personally grown tired of your inane opinions regarding this now so I won't bother commenting on this further.

I have just logged in to Uncharted 2 multiplayer for the first time in years and it wasn't pretty. :/

U4 mp certainly has its rough spots (for example, many of the background elements surrounding the actual maps are fairly bad looking and texture resolutions aren't exactly the highest), but sorry, apart from general art direction preferences, you can't tell me with a straight face that U2 mp maps look better than U4 maps at anything. Unfortunately i don't have an external capture card to make screenshots, but i was taken aback at how low resolution the textures are. You don't even have to zoom in on them, just aiming at them without a scope makes them look terrible. The image quality is also pretty bad, it's a crawling mess as soon as you start moving your character/camera and the low resolution combined with 30fps made for a physically unpleasant sensation and i had to stop after 15 minutes (to be fair, i have to mention that i'm prone to motion sickness and it seems that not being used to that sort of image quality anymore must have made things worse).

Out of the four maps i tried, i thought Village was the hardest to look at and i certainly wouldn't call it pretty or great looking. I thought Lost City and Sanctuary actually still look kinda nice if you're just walking through them, but they suffer from the same extremely low res textures and bad image quality as Village. Plaza also still looked ok, but it obviously helps that it's a very dark map, so the aforementioned issues don't jump out as much. Movement also felt pretty awkward (the roll for example feels almost like slow-mo), but that's irrelevant.

Seriously, i get that you can like the general art direction and layouts of those classic maps better, i have great memories of that game and i'd gladly play a remastered U2 multiplayer that would just raise the overal resolution, texture resolutions and add better AA/AF, i wouldn't even care about the lower poly count, but when someone says those maps are better looking than U4 maps in any tangible way, then i can't help but suspect that it's a case of very thick nostalgia glasses.

I'll try U3 mp tomorrow and see how that goes, i remember those maps looking quite nice at the time, even if the character models seemed a bit low poly.

Mediking

We need to buff the roll in the multiplayer. There has to be a crazy hitbox for explosives and charged melee attacks. There's been multiple times where I clearly rolled away from those things but I still got hit. Like today, a guy tried to hit me with a charged melee attack and I thought I rolled away from it... but I got hit. I was so mad. The same thing happened to C4. Somebody threw it at me and I thought I rolled away from danger... NOPE! I got hit. I was SO mad.

Drencrom

I have just logged in to Uncharted 2 multiplayer for the first time in years and it wasn't pretty. :/

U4 mp certainly has its rough spots (for example, many of the background elements surrounding the actual maps are fairly bad looking and texture resolutions aren't exactly the highest), but sorry, apart from general art direction preferences, you can't tell me with a straight face that U2 mp maps look better than U4 maps at anything. Unfortunately i don't have an external capture card to make screenshots, but i was taken aback at how low resolution the textures are. You don't even have to zoom in on them, just aiming at them without a scope makes them look terrible. The image quality is also pretty bad, it's a crawling mess as soon as you start moving your character/camera and the low resolution combined with 30fps made for a physically unpleasant sensation and i had to stop after 15 minutes (to be fair, i have to mention that i'm prone to motion sickness and it seems that not being used to that sort of image quality anymore must have made things worse).

[...]

Yeah, I revisited UC2 MP about 2 years ago and it's still really fun (even though the health is fucked after 1.05), but the graphics are definitely dated by todays standard, especially the animations

Anyway, really digging the new weapons I've got so far (Lowe-S and DC Single Action) and the bounty hunter mode. Really surprised by how fun and dynamic it is.

We need to buff the roll in the multiplayer. There has to be a crazy hitbox for explosives and charged melee attacks. There's been multiple times where I clearly rolled away from those things but I still got hit. Like today, a guy tried to hit me with a charged melee attack and I thought I rolled away from it... but I got hit. I was so mad. The same thing happened to C4. Somebody threw it at me and I thought I rolled away from danger... NOPE! I got hit. I was SO mad.
The magnetic melee thing is an Uncharted staple (a combination of generous lag compensation & low tick rate). The same applies to rope kills.

Regarding explosive stuns, we don't need more nerfs. Just add a Sure Foot booster (Quentin mentioned it long time ago) and un-nerf grenades.

Nev

Banned
Well if you go around zooming on textures, of course they're gonna be rougher. The overall look is still much better imo. It's a shame there's no PS3 share button and the only option is to use subpar compressed images from the internet.

I'll take the first any day of the week.

I played it recently too and was surprised at how good it looked even at 720p, I still can't believe it's a 2009 game. Gameplay wise it's borderline unplayable after playing Uncharted 4 though. 30fps alone means a world of difference. Uncharted 4 has the best gameplay by far, there's no contest. Too bad ND is trying very hard to bury it under tons of overbloated bs.

As for U3, character models are complete garbage. Only one with consistent quality in character models is 2, in U4 you can see some skins look worse than others. All of Chloe's classic skins look like shit, for instance. Same for Flynn. Wouldn't be surprised if they outsourced them to different studios. Because other than the character model itself -face, body, animations-, the skins were outsourced, that's for sure. Just like most of the game's assets anyways, judging by the credits.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
Grenades are fine the way they are IMO. Like I mentioned in another post, I think the only buffs it needs are reduced prices for upgrading them. Grenades were ridiculous before IMO. Now it actually takes a little skill to make them effective and I like that, personally.

Looks like the first shot has been put through Naughtydog's own 'next gen' filter to be honest, really horrible colouration in comparison to the second. Not to mention the obvious enhancement in texture quality on the second screenshot.

Let's also not pretend that Uncharted 2 runs as well as Uncharted 4. The decision to adopt a higher frame rate did mean that the multiplayer didn't feature the graphical progression in line with previous iterations in the series, so it perhaps isn't as significant of a step up visually, from Uncharted 2 or 3 as the singleplayer component is.

I dont care about rewards. I just think its a giant waste of time and resources to play matches, get a standing, and matchmake with people close to that standing

That filters rank and region and the community just isnt there for that.

Party and no party playlists are fine. Parties playlist had the competitive play people want without needing some rank to make things feel official or esports

Id much rather have a playlist for solo and party players than a ranked mode that is a pain to matchmake with.

It can be really unpleasant for solo players to jump into tdm and get put against 5 man teams. That's something worth prioritizing over a nonsense ranked mode.

It worked perfectly fine in LoU and Ive had tons of great competitive matches that are similar to what you find in a ranked mode of a game

This isnt like rainbow 6 or overwatch where the rules change for ranked either. It's the same exact game.

We need a tighter playlist eventually, and I don't see the point of 2-3 TDM modes.

I don't see the problem with having a ranked playlist, even if it does take a little longer to filter players out in order to get a match going. Ultimately it's the only means of getting a match at a reasonable level of play, for many decent players stomping regulars in unranked games gets tiring.

I like having access to both ranked and unranked playlists, it isn't as if they have a ranked playlist for every game time, yet it provides a point of access for higher level play for those that want that. Taking that away doesn't make much sense, simply limiting the options people have, which is odd from someone whose calling for new game modes. The way regular team death match is played, and ranked team death match.... ranked team death match is almost a different gametype. The emphasis on kills and deaths is really there, and it shapes player behaviour in a way that just isn't present in unranked games.

Nev

Banned

That's not a roll problem, it's lag. I've come to know when I'm going to die from a grenade even after I'm clearly out of reach after a roll, there's this certain moment when you know you're already dead because of the lag, no matter the actual position of your character. Same happens when getting into cover while being shot, I just think "ok I'm dead" and boom! I'm dead even if I'm behind cover because of the lag. It's a running gag at this point.

Welcome to Uncharted, get used to the iconic lag or you'll be breaking some controllers out of frustration. They got rid of a lot of things from previous games, but don't worry, Classic Lag is still there. #4theplayers.

That said, rolling is infinitely more useful than in U2/3, it actually counters melee and isn't a worse bunnyhop like in U2 or a "shoot me!" button like in U3.

Well if you go around zooming on textures, of course they're gonna be rougher. The overall look is still much better imo. It's a shame there's no PS3 share button and the only option is to use subpar compressed images from the internet.

I'll take the first any day of the week.

I played it recently too and was surprised at how good it looked even at 720p, I still can't believe it's a 2009 game. Gameplay wise it's borderline unplayable after playing Uncharted 4 though. 30fps alone means a world of difference. Uncharted 4 has the best gameplay by far, there's no contest. Too bad ND is trying very hard to bury it under tons of overbloated bs.

As for U3, character models are complete garbage. Only one with consistent quality in character models is 2, in U4 you can see some skins look worse than others. All of Chloe's classic skins look like shit, for instance. Same for Flynn. Wouldn't be surprised if they outsourced them to different studios. Because other than the character model itself -face, body, animations-, the skins were outsourced, that's for sure. Just like most of the game's assets anyways, judging by the credits.

I explicitly said i didn't zoom in on textures, i only pointed a gun (without a scope) at them. Unless we're supposed to judge texture quality from 10 m away, i wouldn't consider that zooming in. I have to admit, after having checked it out earlier, i'm surprised that you have recently played the game yourself and still think it looks great. Judging by the bullshots and postage stamp sized pics you've posted on the previous pages (i realize it's hard to find good direct feed screenshots), i thought it was just your memory playing tricks on you, but apparently not.

Would you at least agree that the image quality in U2 is pretty bad? Because i wish the game looked as clean as those screens you used previously, but it doesn't. Apart from that, technically it's inferior in every way to U4 (as it should be, considering its age), but you already said you don't care about raw tech (and image quality, i presume), so what it seems to come down to, looking at your last comparison shot, is the lack of a heavily stylized cinematic filter? Because the U4 shot looks natural, while the U2 shot looks akin to a heavily color corrected movie from the aughts. I'm not saying that to yank your chain, i just genuinely want to figure out what it is that makes you prefer one look over the other.

Edit:

By the way, one of the houses in the reimagined Village map has this picture hanging on the wall (thanks to TechMemphis for bringing this to my attention):

Is Museum the next classic map to come to U4 mp? I actually wouldn't mind some more classic maps to tide us over between releases of original maps. I'd be especially down for Sanctuary, Lost City, High Rise (U2 versions for all 3), Yemen, Desert Village and Graveyard.

Drencrom

Edit:

By the way, one of the houses in the reimagined Village map has this picture hanging on the wall (thanks to TechMemphis for bringing this to my attention):

Is Museum the next classic map to come to U4 mp? I actually wouldn't mind some more classic maps to tide us over between releases of original maps. I'd be especially down for Sanctuary, Lost City, High Rise (U2 versions for all 3), Yemen, Desert Village and Graveyard.

It's most definitely a picture of Museum, one of my faves from UC2. Would be very happy to see it return.

Top Bottom