• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 4: A Thief's End Multiplayer |OT| Swinging To Victory

On another note, can someone explain what's going on with cinema mode? Where's the online storage option?

UC2 had this back in 2009, when cloud storage wasn't even a thing...

It's really handy to be able to send a small file with multiple camera perspectives to a friend or even ND.

Nev

Banned
I'm not saying that to yank your chain, i just genuinely want to figure out what it is that makes you prefer one look over the other.

I like colors and Uncharted 2 and 3 are much better in that department. They've got a much more vibrant look and I expected the fourth game to maintain the artstyle even if we had to put up with the "realistic" TLOU kool aid from Druckmann and Straley, and to some extent it did (fortunately), but the color palette is so incredibly bland. It didn't bother me too much in the single player because graphics were breathtaking. Multiplayer though?

It's the first and only time I've made changes to the TV settings so the game looks artificially better. I just can't stand how washed out it looks, they got rid of basic, "pure" colors like blue and red because... why? To avoid confusion? Really? Their obsession with handholding is getting to comical levels of ridiculous. Salim looks like shit, Chloe doesn't have her classic red look, Sully isn't wearing the outfit from the single player, etc.

All because they're afraid some CoD player is going to think that the blue character is his ally when he's actually an enemy. Just stupid.

Overall there's this "softer" look to the whole thing that I don't like. Every map has the same goddamn lightning, it's either dark night or 2 PM. No sunset maps that looked as awesome as Museum in 2 or Airstrip in 3, no maps with intense lightning like Desert Village or Highrise (2). Granted, some maps look better than others: Madagascar, Remnants, Rooftops or New Devon are more pleasant to look at than things like Scotland, which looks like complete crap, especially compared to Sanctuary and other snow levels. But in previous games I was constantly amazed at how good they all looked.

I mean take Graveyard, Plaza (3) or Desert Village for instance, you just like to play on them only because of how nice they look. Worst case scenario, a map from U2/3 looks "good enough", in Uncharted 4 the worst case scenario is being absolutely hideous or just "eh" like the new village.

That said, I would absolutely not prefer, ever, having better graphics instead of 60fps. They made the right decision, which is kind of surprising considering it's ND we're talking about.

Is Museum the next classic map to come to U4 mp?

I really hope it isn't. It's probably one of the least liked maps, why would they choose that one? It's similar to Auction House too, it would make no sense when there is a lot of great classic maps they can bring back instead.

I wish we could discuss more about the mechanics and technicalities of the game instead of purposelessly debating preferences in stylistic choices. If you don't like things about this games visuals surely you have made that clear by this stage? Ultimately if you don't think it looks very good then you're right, because that's your personal preference and you're entitled to develop your own impression of a game and it's visual style, however I don't see any benefit in trying to justify it as if your eyes were purview to some remarkable perception that the rest of us do not have. Some of us like it more, some of us don't, and that's fine, let's move on.

Surely if we're all still here at this stage we all enjoy the game quite a bit, no? Perhaps we should stop trying to pull it apart. If you wanted something markedly different to what's on offer it may be time to accept the reality that that isn't going to happen. If you're here to spend your time asking for alterations to the games graphical style, the deletion of game modes or other core features of the game like side kicks and mysticals then I would perhaps consider what value that nature of contribution actually has.

On another note, I played Uncharted 4 at EGX today. They set it up in a mini-competition style system where players would play command with 9 other people, and the winning player would win some merch and a Playstation plus subscription. I had two tries and won two months of plus. Scoring over 6,000 points per match, the people I was playing against were familiar with the game but not frequent players I think. I heard them talking in the queue about playing Uncharted 2 and 3 multiplayer, but I'm not sure if they played Uncharted 4.

Significantly, it's nice that they are still marketing this game, and the multiplayer no less! It was a pretty large booth, almost as large as the booth for games like Horizon and Final Fantasy XV. Of course, there were multiple people cosplaying as Nathan Drake who were frequenting the booth.

Nev

Banned
That's cute because I was discussing the actual game literally right before this Javin guy brought the whole thing up again with a sarcastic comment that served no purpose whatsoever other than derailing the thread.

That's cute because I was discussing the actual game literally right before this Javin guy brought the whole thing up again with a sarcastic comment that served no purpose whatsoever other than derailing the thread.
Looking back at clips and screenshots from my U2 days, I can absolutely agree about the colors. Really disappointed in some of the changes to Village and haven't even played it yet. Do wish there was some more life to the maps in general, as far as style and color use goes. They definitely feel a bit plain and sometimes this hurts gameplay, too, rather than definitive style and lighting to pop characters from environments (as well as ledges, platforms, etc).

it's condescending remarks like that this that continually lower the tone here. I didn't label you specifically and was in fact more generally speaking about the nature of this discussion. I did not quote you or even mention your name, if I wanted to direct my suggestion directly at you I would have done so.

jwk94

Sorry to disturb ya'll but could they possibly be working on the SP DLC?

Cs_07qIUsAM9kuJ.jpg:large

https://twitter.com/Grosstastic/status/779111016835670016

Nev

Banned
it's condescending remarks like that this that continually lower the tone here. I didn't label you specifically and was in fact more generally speaking about the nature of this discussion. I did not quote you or even mention your name, if I wanted to direct my suggestion directly at you I would have done so.

It's a "that's cute" dude, you're overreacting. Sorry anyways.

Sorry to disturb ya'll but could they possibly be working on the SP DLC?

https://twitter.com/Grosstastic/status/779111016835670016

Coming winter 2017 and it'll be all exploring houses with triangle prompts. That, or it'll be based off the next favorite game of Druckmann. We've got Life is Strange and Brothers so far. I hope he beats Bloodborne next so we have some actual gameplay in the DLC and it's not all X mashing walls and inspecting objects.

In all seriousness, I hope Chloe and Cutter are in it and it's not focused on fucking Sam again (it will be).

Javin98

Banned
Oh, but why? It's "cute" when you refuse to admit that objectively I've proven you wrong on just about everything you said.

Edit: Looking through your most recent posts, I wouldn't even bother questioning you in the first place if you just mentioned colors and art style. Instead, you said shading and lighting at first. Then, when I brought up PBR shaders giving materials a much more realistic look than previous games, you somehow refuted that and later used it sarcastically. That isn't down to art style, it is a fact.

AKyemeni

Let's hope they're doing some mocap for new MP characters as well...
Why would they do mocap for MP characters? They wouldn't need to. All the MP characters have the same movement and skeletal structure (1 male, 1 female).

If you're talking about voices, the actors don't need to be at ND to give them voices.

Why would they do mocap for MP characters? They wouldn't need to. All the MP characters have the same movement and skeletal structure (1 male, 1 female).

If you're talking about voices, the actors don't need to be at ND to give them voices.
I thought they were doing mocap & voice recording all at once (well, at least for the original English voices). Foreign ones are recorded elsewhere.

Josh378

Ok shotgun + asgard shield = run away.

Like I came into a room with my shotgun plus asgard, I wiped the room by myself. 2nd time around, I ran into that same room with a the shotty and the asguard, the other team saw me and ran out and threw all their C4 at me....lol! I love this new patch.

AKyemeni

I thought they were doing mocap & voice recording all at once (well, at least for the original English voices). Foreign ones are recorded elsewhere.
For single player, yes.

But there are no cutscenes in multiplauer, so having them in the studio doing mocap is both a waste of time and money.

Voice actors can work from anywhere in the world, as long as they have access to the right equipment.

Cinema mode is really half assed, but whatever.

Is it just me, or is cover/roll much better?

Im tightly getting into cover and around corners without fucking up. I know they patched it, but did they improve it besides that? It seems the roll bug (in front of cover) was fixed, but it feels less frustrating overall

For single player, yes.

But there are no cutscenes in multiplauer, so having them in the studio doing mocap is both a waste of time and money.

Voice actors can work from anywhere in the world, as long as they have access to the right equipment.

Maybe coop adventure?

We need to buff the roll in the multiplayer. There has to be a crazy hitbox for explosives and charged melee attacks. There's been multiple times where I clearly rolled away from those things but I still got hit. Like today, a guy tried to hit me with a charged melee attack and I thought I rolled away from it... but I got hit. I was so mad. The same thing happened to C4. Somebody threw it at me and I thought I rolled away from danger... NOPE! I got hit. I was SO mad.

Only thing that will fix that is upping the tick rate.

You may be rolling safe on your screen, but on theirs they hit you, so your doned. Can make rolling invincible and they will still down you because you're just not rolling yet on their screen.

TripOpt55

Got to try Village and Bounty Hunters. Village is cool. Feels much wider this time. I love the addition of grapple spots. Bounty Hunters is a pretty fun mode. Still would trade it and Command for Team Objective that includes both modes. Really want that Apocalypse Elena skin too!

Javin98

Banned
So just played a match on Village and what the fuck? The enemy team was a bunch of campers. Did a bunch of kids migrate over from Call Of Duty or something?

Nev

Banned
So just played a match on Village and what the fuck? The enemy team was a bunch of campers. Did a bunch of kids migrate over from Call Of Duty or something?

The game has been a campfest since the beginning, Naughty Dog decided that solo playing, both in terms of game modes and gameplay had no place in the game, they thought for some reason that they had to turn it into TLOU lite. It's not something new or exclusive of Village.

Staying together is the only viable playstyle outside of some occasional solo flanking that is only effective against bad players. The metagame is an absolute campfest, RTDM is ridiculous, it's more camping oriented than Elimination. Look at that tournament they held in Canada, matches were ending with 10-11 scores due to time out, it's completely surreal but they refuse to acknowledge shit. That's what happens when you take out weapon pick-ups, add a down system (therefore making long range kills and going solo useless because they're getting revived in an instant by their whole team) and add a NPC that revives you automatically.

Bounty Hunter is a bit less camp friendly because you have to actually move around, but it's still a heavily team oriented mode. There are just no modes for solo play in this game, it's unbelievable but it is what it is. Play it like TLOU or don't play at all. Only FFA or Classic could fix this.

nel e nel

The game has been a campfest since the beginning, Naughty Dog decided that solo playing, both in terms of game modes and gameplay had no place in the game, they thought for some reason that they had to turn it into TLOU lite. It's not something new or exclusive of Village.

Staying together is the only viable playstyle outside of some occasional solo flanking that is only effective against bad players. The metagame is an absolute campfest, RTDM is ridiculous, it's more camping oriented than Elimination. Look at that tournament they held in Canada, matches were ending with 10-11 scores due to time out, it's completely surreal but they refuse to acknowledge shit. That's what happens when you take out weapon pick-ups, add a down system (therefore making long range kills and going solo useless because they're getting revived in an instant by their whole team) and add a NPC that revives you automatically.

Bounty Hunter is a bit less camp friendly because you have to actually move around, but it's still a heavily team oriented mode. There are just no modes for solo play in this game, it's unbelievable but it is what it is. Play it like TLOU or don't play at all. Only FFA or Classic could fix this.

I move we call the next OT "Plays Well With Others"

Once on the Pirate map, the enemy team got a small lead, and camped and coordinated hard on top of the ship. There was no getting to them at all. They bunkered the shit out of the area and had height advantage to destroy us.

That's the only bad instance I've had. I dont know if the game is camp friendly, but that was very insane to counter.

What's the cool thing about classic mode? Why everyone wants it?

It was all about map possession. Everyone starts with the same weapon, outside of some boosters.

Weapon pick ups exist for things like Uzis that would replace the pistol-- fires faster, great at hipfire, and you could pick up a long gun like the FAL or an M4 (more accurate AK)

Outside of these, you would pick up power weapons located in key areas.

You would race for the shotgun that killed in one hit. Or the RPG. Or the Sniper, or grenade launcher, etc.

Djostikk

It was all about map possession. Everyone starts with the same weapon, outside of some boosters.

Weapon pick ups exist for things like Uzis that would replace the pistol-- fires faster, great at hipfire, and you could pick up a long gun like the FAL or an M4 (more accurate AK)

Outside of these, you would pick up power weapons located in key areas.

You would race for the shotgun that killed in one hit. Or the RPG. Or the Sniper, or grenade launcher, etc.

Sounds like old-school shooters like Quake or Unreal Tournament, can't say how well it worked in Uncharted series but if so many pepole are asking for it I'm sure it was a fun to play.

Nev

Banned
Sounds like old-school shooters like Quake or Unreal Tournament, can't say how well it worked in Uncharted series but if so many pepole are asking for it I'm sure it was a fun to play.

It's exactly what it sounds like, old-school arena multiplayer design that got scrapped in favor of the next CoD fad. It worked incredibly good until they destroyed U2 multiplayer by reducing the player's health -also because CoD-, and that's why people want it back. Especially now that U4 walked away from the formula completely.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
I really like the new bounty hunter mode. It feels like the first objective based mode to me since command never really felt that objective oriented and well plunder.... Yeah....

The Lowe S is great. Like the gun.

The DC is incredible IMO. I have made some DC only loadouts and can do very well at a consistent basis with it.

The Harrison gun I wasn't feeling it at first. I thought it was horrible and was doing pretty horrible with it too. I kept sticking with it and now I can say that it's also a very good gun once you know how to handle it. It's probably my favorite out of the DLC now lol. The sound it makes when you're firing is so amazing. It's probably the reason why I like using it tbh :lol

The fossa wanna be is meh.

Haven't tried the heavy weapon shotgun so I can't comment.

New mystical is OK too, even if it is expensive. It's very situational so you gotta make sure you use it at the right time. When I've done it, it definitely makes a difference and I can kill the attackers when normally I'd die. It does take a little of time to activate, but I guess it's for balancing reasons.

New DLC skins are actually VERY GOOD this time around. I honestly didn't care for the pirate or prison skins form the previous update since I felt they were lazy looking. This new apocalyptic stuff though looks very nice IMO.

Overall, this update was pretty sweet. Please add Team Objective though ND. We want it!

What's the cool thing about classic mode? Why everyone wants it?

Better gameplay.

Just read Nev's post about the camping crap.

Getting better weapons than you spawn with, and especially power weapons spaced about the map encourages moving about, no downs mean flanking and long shots can work better, no spam revives. No BS AI giving you away through walls ruining a good flank or an AI reviving a guy you downed, or a brute appearing out of nowhere saving a guy you outplayed.

Better gameplay.

Just read Nev's post about the camping crap.

Getting better weapons than you spawn with, and especially power weapons spaced about the map encourages moving about, no downs mean flanking and long shots can work better, no spam revives. No BS AI giving you away through walls ruining a good flank or an AI reviving a guy you downed, or a brute appearing out of nowhere saving a guy you outplayed.

While I ultimately prefer and love UC2's pure gameplay, that game had a lot of bullshit boosters.

And one thing I really like about UC4 is having grenades on timers. Hated the nade spam in the older games.

I guess the big question is if Classic can work on these maps. They lack the verticality.

DaciaJC

Gold Member
I guess the big question is if Classic can work on these maps. They lack the verticality.

At the very least, removing Sidekicks, Mysticals, and downs together would be nothing but an improvement, even if they didn't do anything about heavy weapons.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
I strongly believe it can. The first five minutes of a TDM match are amazing because no one has any money to buy any mystical, sidekick, or anything else. Everyone is on equal footing and it plays well.

I like colors and Uncharted 2 and 3 are much better in that department. They've got a much more vibrant look and I expected the fourth game to maintain the artstyle even if we had to put up with the "realistic" TLOU kool aid from Druckmann and Straley, and to some extent it did (fortunately), but the color palette is so incredibly bland. It didn't bother me too much in the single player because graphics were breathtaking. Multiplayer though?

It's the first and only time I've made changes to the TV settings so the game looks artificially better. I just can't stand how washed out it looks, they got rid of basic, "pure" colors like blue and red because... why? To avoid confusion? Really? Their obsession with handholding is getting to comical levels of ridiculous. Salim looks like shit, Chloe doesn't have her classic red look, Sully isn't wearing the outfit from the single player, etc.

All because they're afraid some CoD player is going to think that the blue character is his ally when he's actually an enemy. Just stupid.

Overall there's this "softer" look to the whole thing that I don't like. Every map has the same goddamn lightning, it's either dark night or 2 PM. No sunset maps that looked as awesome as Museum in 2 or Airstrip in 3, no maps with intense lightning like Desert Village or Highrise (2). Granted, some maps look better than others: Madagascar, Remnants, Rooftops or New Devon are more pleasant to look at than things like Scotland, which looks like complete crap, especially compared to Sanctuary and other snow levels. But in previous games I was constantly amazed at how good they all looked.

I mean take Graveyard, Plaza (3) or Desert Village for instance, you just like to play on them only because of how nice they look. Worst case scenario, a map from U2/3 looks "good enough", in Uncharted 4 the worst case scenario is being absolutely hideous or just "eh" like the new village.

That said, I would absolutely not prefer, ever, having better graphics instead of 60fps. They made the right decision, which is kind of surprising considering it's ND we're talking about.

OK, thanks for elaborating. As i said, i don't agree that there isn't a significant leap between last gen Uncharted mp and U4 mp (texture resolution, shaders, image quality, etc.), even if it isn't as big as between the single player campaigns. However, i can see where you're coming from in regards to their artistic approach to colors and lighting, even though i don't feel as strongly about it. I certainly wouldn't mind some more variety in terms of time of day/weather and while colors on the maps themselves don't bother me that much, i do think that some outfits look a bit too washed out.

I really hope it isn't. It's probably one of the least liked maps, why would they choose that one? It's similar to Auction House too, it would make no sense when there is a lot of great classic maps they can bring back instead.

Museum wouldn't be my first choice to bring back from the remaining U2/U3 maps, but i certainly wouldn't mind it either. It might look remotely similar in aesthetics to Rooftops and Auction House (but not quite, one has Italian architecture, the other Ottoman), but it would be worth bringing back for something i really miss from the U4 maps so far, being able to traverse more or less the complete map on two separate levels (ground and rooftops, in this case).

Just wanted to say that I've barely touched the multiplayer since launch because it's just been really disappointing with how far they've strayed since what made U2 multi so great.

Nev

Banned
Speaking of gameplay chests, 3000 relics each is a complete joke. They release the game with less than half the content previous games had, and they have the nerve to try and milk the players with this absolute bs. I mean, make the vanity chest all the expensive you want, but gameplay related chests? It should be free in the first place, maybe 500-1000 relics if they want to make money, but 3000? Fucking 3000? Get out of here really. They should be embarrassed.

Javin98

Banned
Keep complaining about the high relics requirement for DLC's and ND will be going back to paid DLC's in their next game. I don't know about you guys, but I vastly prefer really expensive in game currency (earnable by playing) for DLC over paid DLC.

Djostikk

Keep complaining about the high relics requirement for DLC's and ND will be going back to paid DLC's in their next game. I don't know about you guys, but I vastly prefer really expensive in game currency (earnable by playing) for DLC over paid DLC.

Yeah, I totally agree. It's way better than paying 5$ or so for some weapon pack or skins. 3000 it's not that high actually. I think it's maybe 5-6 challenges, you don't have to play months to buy one chest. And they give some discounts or double relics, which is good too.

Nev

Banned

Hahaha excuse me? We should be afraid of expressing our opinion on what is a clearly an issue because ND might retaliate with even more shitty practices? They go back to that scammy garbage and I stop playing their multiplayer, as simple as that. Plenty of other people would stop too, and they're not in a situation where they can extort the player. Really what's with this threat thing? People are barely playing the game, they come up with something like TLOU DLC and the game is completely dead. I'm glad people are not that stupid and they will keep complaining about the overpriced gameplay chests.

A game we all paid 60€+ for and a game that needs PS+ to play, yet we should be thankful ND is allowing us to grind the hell out of life only to get new weapons and boosters, because it's either that or new skins, you can't have both unless you play 100 matches a day. It is a complete joke and feels like they're trying to milk whatever they can before the game dies. Good F2P -except it really isn't F2P but whatever, let's give them that- is based on goodwill, which they have ZERO at the moment. Pulling this shit at this point is basically suicide, but they just don't seem to care.

If the game was actually finished and was not a glorified beta, if it had proper support, if they really cared about it, then maybe, MAYBE 3000 relics wouldn't be too bad. As it is right now? Get out.

Javin98

Banned
Yeah, I totally agree. It's way better than paying 5$ or so for some weapon pack or skins. 3000 it's not that high actually. I think it's maybe 5-6 challenges, you don't have to play months to buy one chest. And they give some discounts or double relics, which is good too.
Exactly this. The way some posters here go on, you would think you need to spend a whole month just to get a DLC gameplay chest. Because of college life, I only get to play the MP on weekends and even then, for only 6-8 hours a weekend. Completing about 8 challenges, along with winning matches are enough to net you 3000 relics. For me, this takes two weekends. I'm sure even more competitive players can get a chest once a week, or even once in four days. So, yes, I don't see what's to complain about.

Hahaha excuse me? We should be afraid of expressing our opinion on what is a clearly an issue because ND might retaliate with even more shitty practices? They go back to that scammy garbage and I stop playing their multiplayer, as simple as that. Plenty of other people would stop too, and they're not in a situation where they can extort the player. Really what's with this threat thing? People are barely playing the game, they come up with something like TLOU DLC and the game is completely dead. I'm glad people are not that stupid and they will keep complaining about the overpriced gameplay chests.

If the game was actually finished and was not a glorified beta, if it had proper support, if they really cared about it, then maybe, MAYBE 3000 relics wouldn't be too bad. As it is right now?

A game we all paid 60€+ for and a game that needs PS+ to play, yet we should be thankful ND is allowing us to grind the hell out of life only to get new weapons and boosters, because it's either that or new skins, you can't have both unless you play 100 matches a day. It is a complete joke and feels like they're trying to milk whatever they can before the game dies. Good F2P -except it really isn't F2P but whatever, let's give them that- is based on goodwill, which they have ZERO at the moment. Pulling this shit at this point is basically suicide, but they just don't seem to care.
Any chance you can actually post anything about this MP that doesn't resort to hyperbole? Your whole post almost reads like you're speaking for yourself rather than the community as a whole too. First off, people barely playing the game? Hmm, how am I finding matches in under a minute most of the time then? Secondly, I said their next game. Obviously ND isn't dumb enough to break their promise and introduce paid DLC here. Also, you make it sound like $60 was purely focused on the MP. This is an SP game, first and foremost. I really have to wonder, if you have so much negative things to say about this MP, to the point that I feel you don't even enjoy playing this game, why are you still playing?

Disktrasa

Banned
I hope i can find my answer here; i bought the game on uspsn, but i only play on my eupsn. Games is a lot cheaper on uspsn then eupsn for me, but i would like to buy the explorer pack.

But, if i buy that on uspsn, i think the points will be locked to my us account? And if i buy the explorer pack on eupsn, will i get the points and will the storydlc work, probably not.

Am i screwed or can someone here enlighten me?

Yes, i am screwed, i tried and bought 500 points on the account i play on, the didn't show up in game, soooooo it seems like there is no way i can buy the dlc, that sucks, don't want to buy the game again just to get the dlc to work :(

Can't wait to hook up my PS4 again and start playing. Moving home at the moment but I haven't had chance to play either of the two maps yet! The western weapons look really neat too. For me Uncharted 4 is shaping up to be my favourite multiplayer shooter on the PS4. My previous favourite was probably Killzone Shadowfall.

Just need to make the netcode better now, that would be the biggest change I'm hoping for. Increased tick rate.

Top Bottom