• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 4: A Thief's End Multiplayer |OT| Swinging To Victory

AKyemeni

Live update because the relics discount sale is now over and chests are back to their regular relic price aka OVERPRICED.

Naughty Dog, please consider making them cheaper. This sale was awesome and imo was the way to price these chests.
But then nobody would buy Uncharted points.

But then nobody would buy Uncharted points.
Plenty of people are determined to not even spend a single cent on Uncharted Points, even if they raise the chest prices up to 5000 relics. It would only make ND look more desperate...

People spend money on games like Rocket League because of goodwill. ND has squandered it away.

Josh378

Uncharted 4 multiplayer needs to punish ppl who dropout just because they are losing bad or afraid to get the "L" due to a close battle. Five game straight I've played where it's either 5v1 or 5v3 at the end of the game. If they don't fix this, Uncharted 4 multiplayer may die out before the year is out

TripOpt55

I really enjoyed the sale. Managed to get a couple of the big Vanity DLC chests during it and I actually got stuff I wanted! Pirate Elena and Eddy. The odds were in my favor though because all the chests I got before were characters I don't typically use, so it was mostly stuff I wanted. Was bound to get something I liked.

Josh378

BEST game in a while. 5v5,,,played against an all-platinum party vs randoms (us). Started 1 to 10 (bad). Looked at the list and nobody left. Switched to my sniper build and went to work. After a long grueling battle, we won 40 to 37. 18/16 stats with 10 assist and 6 revives. Man, the premade platinum party cursed out one of their teammates because he didn't heal them (he ran away instead and I cleaned up house FTW) at the end when I used C4 and downed 3 guys at once (and took out a hunter and a brute) and told him to leave the party. I felt bad for the guy but we won!!!!

BTW I would like to think the C4 is balanced but I feel that it's a bit overpowered in it's explosion range.But I wouldn't be mad if ND decided to keep it that way permanently.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
C4 didn't need the second buff at all whatsoever. Now everyone is basically using them as grenades which is dumb. I think grenades (performance wise) is fine the way it is, but the upgrades need to be cheaper and maybe 1 reduction in LP would make them more viable. As it is right now, the whole entire MP community have migrated to C4.

Uncharted 4 multiplayer needs to punish ppl who dropout just because they are losing bad or afraid to get the "L" due to a close battle. Five game straight I've played where it's either 5v1 or 5v3 at the end of the game. If they don't fix this, Uncharted 4 multiplayer may die out before the year is out
I don't like compulsive quitters, but the last thing we need right now is more penalties... let alone punishing the entire lobby just because the host pulled the cable. God, I hated that in UC3.

ND should man up, revert the late join changes and reward late joiners with a generous relic bonus. You'll catch more flies with honey than vinegar.

Rajang

Live update because the relics discount sale is now over and chests are back to their regular relic price aka OVERPRICED.

Naughty Dog, please consider making them cheaper. This sale was awesome and imo was the way to price these chests.

Yeah, 750 for the regular DLC vanity chest was perfect. I really hope ND lowers the relic prices for the chests a bit.

Nah, one of the main things that kept me playing before I stopped was ability to drop out of awful quality games.

Keeping people trapped in awful games will make even more people drop the game completely.

Josh378

Nah, one of the main things that kept me playing before I stopped was ability to drop out of awful quality games.

Keeping people trapped in awful games will make even more people drop the game completely.

See that's a bad way of thinking because now ppl will say "F this game, nobody wants to stay in the game, I'm going to go play (insert game here) instead". With that mindset, this online game will die before mid-2017. There need to be some sort of penalty, because your way will kill this game off just as quickly because there is no point of playing the game when you know if your down 5 and 2-3 ppl quit because they are scared that they may get the lost record. Voting system needs to be added so ppl can vote and end the game quickly.

I really like the new map. I greatly enjoy this game's drawn out shootouts, and this map allows for that with great flank routes and paths.

Boy, I hate the shit out of Plunder. Maybe Im remembering old Plunder wrong, but having the enemy spawn in your base is so fucking annoying.

Getting 20 relics for a win and 10 for a loss is great, but I wish there was some kind of multiplier (win 3 in a row = double the relics, or every 3rd win = double the relics)

Drencrom

I don't know why people keep saying this.

Yeah, I really don't understand the whole "lol mp is dead" sentiment some people are perpetuating just because they don't like the MP or are pissed at ND for some reason.

Anyway, if the stream is this Tuesday, the DLC update should come out on Wednesday right?

Yeah, I really don't understand the whole "lol mp is dead" sentiment some people are perpetuating just because they don't like the MP or are pissed at ND for some reason.

Anyway, if the stream is this Tuesday, the DLC update should come out on Wednesday right?

The stream is on Wednesday though.

The game is not dead, but I've noticed that even Command matches start as 4v4. This didn't happen a couple of months ago.

I'm sorry, but this isn't exactly healthy for a game that is barely 4 months old...

Because quality of connections is at an all time bad, even compared to after SBMM was implemented, and games not starting 5v5 too often, it happening because player pool shrinking too much.

The forums (not just this one) are also relatively dead.

Because quality of connections is at an all time bad, even compared to after SBMM was implemented, and games not starting 5v5 too often, it happening because player pool shrinking too much.

I think it's the combination of a shrinking pool and really bad matchmaking.

Even UC2 MP (with its miniscule pool and no F2P) starts matches as 5v5...

ND has a hybrid, ELO-wannabe algorithm that tries to find "suitable" (in terms of rank/level/KDR) opponents in your area.

This means that if there are only 200 players in my region at any given time, but only 10 of them have a suitable "skill rating" (rank/level/KDR), then I'll be forced to play with the same 10 players again and again. If anything, you make less friends this way. Really bad from a social POV.

I'd rather play with all 200 of them randomly over the span of hours. Not to mention that full bars don't really mean anything these days... ND must really think we're all a bunch of simpletons.

Yep. ND forums and reddit forums are pretty dead, and I think that's telling of the overall buzz with this MP

I hope they release the MP separately on PSN or just make a F2P version.

I didnt know they had Skill matchmaking in every playlist. I really hope they turn it around

Ranked TDM has got to go. It's redundant, slow, and hurts the playerbase

It should really be new mode, tdm, command, and plunder with better matchmaking.

I enjoy UC4 MP a lot but am frustrated just playing 2 modes, as I rarely find matches for Ranked and Plunder just feels frustratingly designed.

Yep. ND forums and reddit forums are pretty dead, and I think that's telling of the overall buzz with this MP
Don't forget Twitch as well... there are shitty, casual games that have more streams than UC4 MP.

I hope they release the MP separately on PSN or just make a F2P version.
F2P won't do much good in the current state of the game. They should finish the roadmap first.

Ranked TDM has got to go. It's redundant, slow, and hurts the playerbase
Agreed. Make the rewards Co-op exclusive (just like the star in UC3). It would be a good PR move to appease the (neglected) Co-op fans. ;)

Regarding Command, I think it's safe to replace it with Team Objective.

Plunder just needs some fixes and it should be golden.

Nev

Banned
Don't forget Twitch as well... there are shitty, casual games that have more streams than UC4 MP.

Console games are never popular on Twitch tbh, even if it's Battlefield or CoD. That said, the official forums are pretty dead outside of some old-timers and a few obnoxious trolls. The community never recovered from the move to the shitty PS community boards anyways, the old ND forums were the best, too bad Sony ditched it for their garbage unified platform and essentially killed the community's official, most populated meeting place.

Reddit is the most active, surprisingly, but at this rate it won't hold much longer. They need to release co-op and make it F2P as soon as possible.

Console games are never popular on Twitch tbh, even if it's Battlefield or CoD. That said, the official forums are pretty dead outside of some old-timers and a few obnoxious trolls. The community never recovered from the move to the shitty PS community boards anyways, the old ND forums were the best, too bad Sony ditched it for their garbage unified platform and essentially killed the community's official, most populated meeting place.

Reddit is the most active, surprisingly, but at this rate it won't hold much longer. They need to release co-op and make it F2P as soon as possible.
TLOU was quite popular on Twitch tho...

Mediking

I love the UC4 multiplayer. I play Team Death match almost every time I turn on my PS4. It's oddly relaxing while being tense at the same time. Is there anymore multiplayers like it on PS4?

The best feeling is healing somebody on your team with the mystic or medpack. I LOVE that feeling.

AKyemeni

TLOU was quite popular on Twitch tho...
Huh? Not really. It was mostly single player streams.

Anyway, life will get rejuvenated everywhere when the DLC update comes out this week. It always happens, even with UC3. I remember dry spells in the community often right before DLC hit.

N.Domixis

Banned
It will get a boost with the un4 bundle this holiday. Also I have not spent a single cent yet and I am almost done with the dlc. The 750 really helped me get most things.

I think that /r/unchartedmultiplayer is doing pretty well considering it's a new community.

Yes, the forum update killed the official PS board. Not just for Uncharted, but for just about every game on there. The official community forums are dead. That's kind of a shame, but honestly it's often better to use outside platforms anyway, places like reddit give the community more freedom to create a platform for discussion that suits the players.

/r/unchartedmultiplayer isn't that much less popular than /r/factions was to be honest. Generally speaking Naughtdog games are overlooked, and underdiscussed. I think part of this however is that for many players there isn't all that much to discuss. Uncharted games lack a strong competitive scene so there's no reason to discuss in-depth strategy, they lack loadout and team comp flexibility compared to games like League or even Call of Duty, and generally speaking they do not have many complex mechanics that might spark discussion normally.

Even /r/Battleborn is vastly more active than the Uncharted community and I can assure you battleborn has less significantly less concurrent players, even when both platforms are combined. Sometimes the strength of the games surrounding communities does not reflect in-game activity. While the leaderboards still suggest that quite a few people do play Uncharted 4, it may simply be the case that they aren't very vocal, or passionate about the game. Honestly I think that a lot of people that do hop on simply do so because they bought the game for SP, and decided to occasionally hit 'multiplayer' while they wait for their next game.

In comparison, Battleborn isn't a popular game in general, but the community that remain are very passionate, the games systems incredibly in-depth and the community picked the game up with a the intent of playing with other players, hence the very active community in comparison to Uncharted's.

I love the UC4 multiplayer. I play Team Death match almost every time I turn on my PS4. It's oddly relaxing while being tense at the same time. Is there anymore multiplayers like it on PS4?

The best feeling is healing somebody on your team with the mystic or medpack. I LOVE that feeling.

Your only other options for similar games, and by similar I mean third person shooters are Star Wars Battlefront and The Last of Us. The Last of Us is far slower paced and serious in tone, so it may not have the same atmosphere you enjoy in Uncharted 4. Star Wars Battlefront is pretty chill, pick up and play nonsense. Most of what you do feels relatively inconsequential, and the game isn't balanced very well, but if you just like running around blowing people up in a third person perspective, then it's a comparable experience.

Ultimately though the reason many will stick with Uncharted 4 for the time being is the sheer fact that there aren't any other decent options on the Playstation 4. Naughtydog woudn't get away with things like shipping this with peer to peer, on a 15 tick rate, if there were other games competing in a similar space. Regardless of its issues, Uncharted 4 has the best moment to moment gameplay feel of any of these games listed (except TLOU, which is comparable, and shares many of Uncharted 4's merits, and weaknesses).

Yeah, I love it too. The sense of teamwork and the tight competitive gameplay is amazing. I love the comebacks and the way total random players work together. It's very underrated.

I just am becoming worried about the community. I dont know what's up with the matchmaking. Maybe it's just bugged. Today I played with 5 players but couldnt find a single game until I passed party leadership.

Im hopeful that they stop trying so hard with ranked and just make rewards earnable across all modes. Just give it up and restructure the playlists and matchmaking.

It's disappointing how bitter the official forum is.

Wowbagger

Yeah, I love it too. The sense of teamwork and the tight competitive gameplay is amazing. I love the comebacks and the way total random players work together. It's very underrated.

I just am becoming worried about the community. I dont know what's up with the matchmaking. Maybe it's just bugged. Today I played with 5 players but couldnt find a single game until I passed party leadership.

Im hopeful that they stop trying so hard with ranked and just make rewards earnable across all modes. Just give it up and restructure the playlists and matchmaking.

But rewards are earnable across all modes -- hundreds of them!

And Ranked is the only real competitive mode. *Shrugs*

Has anyone gotten hatemail for using the P90? Do people really not understand that you have to grind downs to unlock hero weapons?

Thank god I only need a few more downs with it, because I don't really enjoy using it... and no, I'm not going to spend relics for that.

Has anyone gotten hatemail for using the P90? Do people really not understand that you have to grind downs to unlock hero weapons?

Thank god I only need a few more downs with it, because I don't really enjoy using it... and no, I'm not going to spend relics for that.

You can get hate mail for using anything. Hate mail is a means of mediating cognitive dissonance that results from internalising the notion that they are awful at a game they invest time into.

People generally like to believe that they are good at what they do, and they can get quite defensive, or even aggressive, when that concept is challenged.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
Speaking of hate mail, I haven't been receiving much hate mail like I used to always get in UC2/UC3 MP. however, I am always the subject of shit talking if people are on mic. Every. Single. Time.

Also, I keep running into a ND forumer all the time in TDM and he always backs out of the lobby. Or if he can't back out quick enough, he will quit ASAP as soon as the match starts. We're both playing solo too. I imagine he wouldn't back out if he was in a Po5. ;)

eFKac

To get to Masters rank you need win 6 out of 10 matches? Ohh lol, good luck.

I can envision the frustration already.

To get to Masters rank you need win 6 out of 10 matches? Ohh lol, good luck.

I can envision the frustration already.

It's not so bad. If you actually get to master rank you should have an approximate 60% win ratio anyway... so just keep playing like that.

Worst thing about the matchmaking is always the luck based element as you can get 5 tough games in a row, then another time you can play 5 games where your opponents are free. The actual qualification process is more luck influenced than anything else in the game as it's ranked on win/loss criteria. This is a little bit odd overall because qualification is meant to weed people out to make sure they don't end up qualifying for a rank they don't deserve. But either way if you belong in that bracket you'll make the qualification, even if it takes a few tries.

What would people think if they changed the black and white win loss criteria to the point system? Perhaps instead of 10 wins, you had to acquire over 100 points in 10 games (or something like that, it's just an example).

Livestream with the New DLC in about 1 hour: https://www.twitch.tv/naughtydog

Anyone want to guess the new mystical?

If it's a support mystical, I'll guess it multiplies cash value for teammates or maybe blocks all enemy mysticals for a short period.

If it's an attack mystical...Maybe it damages all enemies everywhere? Could be great for finishing off downed enemies who are behind cover or something. Sort of like an inverse Cintimani.

AKyemeni

Anyone want to guess the new mystical?

If it's a support mystical, I'll guess it multiplies cash value for teammates or maybe blocks all enemy mysticals for a short period.

If it's an attack mystical...Maybe it damages all enemies everywhere? Could be great for finishing off downed enemies who are behind cover or something. Sort of like an inverse Cintimani.

Maybe it puts an Electric Fence around you that damages people close to you?

eFKac

God damn that auto shotgun looks insane.

I mean this game needs a good shotgun, pistole is ok, but that thing looked op.

eFKac

Silent Assassin seems very cool. Will bring a new dynamic to the game.

I really wonder how this will affect balancing in the game.

Top Bottom