• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 4: A Thief's End |OT| You're gonna miss this ass

bcom33

Neo Member
she's not cast in that light and that's totally not why she's upset

Sure, it's more complicated that that, but I still felt that is what her dialogue generally boiled down to in terms of how it affected the enjoyment of the game for me, as the player.

Alucrid

Banned
Sure, it's more complicated that that, but I still felt that is what her dialogue generally boiled down to in terms of how it affected the enjoyment of the game for me, as the player.

it's literally the opposite. she tries to encourage him to go on that Malaysian salvage job. it's funny that you're upset by your incorrect belief that they reduced her character down to a "generic "girl holding back guy who wants to do cool stuff"", yet proceed to do the same thing by ignoring all the nuance of their interactions after she saves him.

Timeaisis

The combat feels off this. Maybe because the levels are more open. There is negligible cover to be had when the enemies come from every direction. Problem is, I frequently don't have an answer for enemies getting the drop on me. And since they are all essentially bullet sponges, it's not like I can do a quick 180 and take them out quickly.

I dunno, maybe I'm just bad because it's like 45 minutes between fights and I don't have as much practice. This may sound like blasphemy, but I greatly prefer Uncharted 2's on rails combat setpieces over these "open" encounters. I just don't think the combat mechanics hold up to what they are trying to achieve in the level design. If I want open ended combat I'll MGSV. I'm in U4 for this crazy setpiece moments.

I just hit chapter 14, does it improve?

dralla

I feel like we played different games. I saw the polar opposite.
She encouraged him to take the Malaysia job and he was the one who looked like an asshole after their confrontation in Madagascar.

Superflat

The combat feels off this. Maybe because the levels are more open. There is negligible cover to be had when the enemies come from every direction. Problem is, I frequently don't have an answer for enemies getting the drop on me. And since they are all essentially bullet sponges, it's not like I can do a quick 180 and take them out quickly.

I dunno, maybe I'm just bad because it's like 45 minutes between fights and I don't have as much practice. This may sound like blasphemy, but I greatly prefer Uncharted 2's on rails combat setpieces over these "open" encounters. I just don't think the combat mechanics hold up to what they are trying to achieve in the level design. If I want open ended combat I'll MGSV. I'm in U4 for this crazy setpiece moments.

It'll only ramp up from there, but I had similar thoughts. UC2's arenas are not as large, but they're big enough to play around in, and I felt like a complete badass running around and killing fools. I finished UC4 and I felt way more vulnerable and played it safe way more than in the previous Uncharted games as a result, which imo isn't as fun. Shooting still feels great though, and the level designs in the encounters are easily some of the best in the series -- albeit feeling compelled not to take full advantage of them sometimes because the enemies were so aggressive.

Zocano

Yep. Stealth actually being a viable option made things so much more interesting for me. And that final boss was indeed wonderful. I know a lot of people in this thread hated it, but I'm definitely not one of them .

I find this sentiment weird because stealth was always an option in 2 and 3.

I find this sentiment weird because stealth was always an option in 2 and 3.

It was an option until you were spotted, which was incredibly common. And once that happened, it was almost impossible to hide from enemies.

Stealth really only worked at the very beginning of most encounters.

Alucrid

Banned
i think the most exciting thing about uncharted 4 is seeing all the tech and wondering what we'll be seeing from them in a few years

wow. pretty surprised to see the positive reactions here. i am bored out of my mind with these auto platforming sections. i never minded them in the previous games but here there is just so much of it. pretty much every chapter starts off with a lengthy 30 minute platforming section which might as well be automatic at this point. they could have done so much with the rope mechanics but it all boils down to press up and x and sometimes L1.

I can literally count the combat encounters on my fingers. setpieces are even more rare. I am at Chapter 15 and the E3 sequence was the only thing worthy of a setpiece. i guess the bell tower one was another.

I dont know. I am just baffled by some of the game design choices ND have made here. You create these massive open world areas and fill it with nothing? Chapter 12 is a whole lot of nothing. I love TLOU and even in its quieter moments they had you find collectibles and upgrades. It made exploring those areas so much fun. Here it's activating a bunch of random conversations and picking up a useless treasure or two. I thought ND cared about interactivity. I used to defend them back in the day pointing out how Uncharted pretty much lets you play sequences that would otherwise be QTEs or just plain cutscenes in other games. But now they just seem interested in hand holding you from one place to the next sprinkling in a combat encounter here and there.

I am all for story and i love what they did with TLOU, but you cannot phone in the gameplay. when the game is 80% platforming/puzzles like it has has been so far it needs to be a little more interactive. it needs to have a fail state. there needs to be a challenge. i dont want to sleep walk through your game .

EDIT: I am a big graphics whore and this is by far the most impressive game i have ever played. And yet i feel that there is no point in exploring these locations so i reluctantly move on.

Here is my man, finally join in. I am not as upset as you are at the game but I have the same complaints.

Mikey Jr.

I never stealthed in this game.

Seemed like a majority of combat encounters could have been stealthed, but I loved the gunplay so much that I actively started fights. Stealth seems like a boring way to play this game IMO.

Zocano

It was an option until you were spotted, which was incredibly common. And once that happened, it was almost impossible to hide from enemies.

Stealth really only worked at the very beginning of most encounters.

It's been a bit since I've played 2 and 3 but I thought that you could "get away" at times. Not in all cases, but you could certain lose their attention.

It's been a bit since I've played 2 and 3 but I thought that you could "get away" at times. Not in all cases, but you could certain lose their attention.

On rare occasions, yes.

I replayed the entire series a few months ago. The stealth is vastly improved in this game. I finished 90% of the encounters without alerting a single enemy.

ZeroX03

Banned
Stealth on Crushing is a lot less viable thanks to enemies almost immediately noticing you. You'll die if you try to rope swing in open combat too, by how fast you get put down. Best thing to do is find somewhere on the edge of the combat arena that can't be destroyed so you don't get flanked and cover down.

bcom33

Neo Member
I feel like we played different games. I saw the polar opposite.
She encouraged him to take the Malaysia job and he was the one who looked like an asshole after their confrontation in Madagascar.

I understand where Elena is coming from, but I think she significantly undervalues that fact that...

Nate is doing this, primarily, because the only family he ever had, for most of his life, Sam, suddenly reappears and is in dire need of his help...or at least he has every reason to believe that's the situation. Elena seems to just dismiss Sam out of hand even when she meets him. You'd think she'd be somewhat more forgiving since a brother he thought was dead for 15 years is actually alive, and in trouble. But no, because he lied to her, she's dead set on punishing him for that betrayal. Never mind what good intentions he may have had in mind.

Maybe there's more of a schism between how Elena reacts, and how I would think she should react because, we, as the players get to see what Nate and Sam's interactions were like as kids from the very beginning of the game. We know that they had each others' backs, no matter what, when they were growing up. So when Elena can't do the same, because Nate lied to her, to protect their relationship (as he explains later in the game), just felt generic and unrelatable to me.

Sure, Nate and Elena slowly regain their passion for each other toward the end of the game as they reprise the glory days they had in Uncharted 1, but by then the game had spent hours and hours as they snapped at each other, and as Elena was there to pull Drake back down to Earth every time he showed any type of enthusiasm for the treasure hunt.

Stealth on Crushing is a lot less viable thanks to enemies almost immediately noticing you. You'll die if you try to rope swing in open combat too, by how fast you get put down.

Oh yeah, I should note that I played Uncharted 4 on Normal. I play every game on its standard difficulty setting.

McBryBry

Something I wanted to add. Late game spoilers.
Did anyone think Elena was going to leave Nate? The scene in the elevator... Her tone, her face. Everything made my jaw drop and go "Holy shit. This game is gonna and with her leaving him." I was proven wrong but man I got worried lol.

mileS

Anyone else using the Uncharted 4 preset for the PS gold headset?? Maybe it's the game itself but I find some of the sound effects to be almost too intense. Gun shots and slamming people into walls seems more loud than it should be. Again maybe its the game itself. I should try using another preset to test it out.

JTripper

Something I wanted to add. Late game spoilers.
Did anyone think Elena was going to leave Nate? The scene in the elevator... Her tone, her face. Everything made my jaw drop and go "Holy shit. This game is gonna and with her leaving him." I was proven wrong but man I got worried lol.

Absolutely. That and the car ride moment immediately after with the music was where it seemed their relationship was reaching its end until Elena's fake-out death when it became more like a new start for them. You saw in that moment that Nate was about to lose it if he'd have to live without her.

Wagram

LOL. I can confirm that
Crash
is harder on Crushing than it was on lower modes. It's sooooo much harder
to get all the boxes.

Anyone else using the Uncharted 4 preset for the PS gold headset?? Maybe it's the game itself but I find some of the sound effects to be almost too intense. Gun shots and slamming people into walls seems more loud than it should be. Again maybe its the game itself. I should try using another preset to test it out.

It was always like that for me with ND games. It doesn't seem as bad in U4, but 1-3 I had to turn the dial down on my TV and mix the audio to make everything louder than the sound effects. Gunshots are so loud.

It sounds to me as if you are simply making bad choices during combat. This game is literally designed for you to keep moving; no more sitting behind cover popping head shots. Also, pay attention to your weapon pickups; there are several that will take out armored enemies quickly when they close the distance. They are giving you the tools to make your own badass moments, instead of having everything scripted; how can people complain about that lol? J/K, I get it; but there are more options this time around.

dralla

I understand where Elena is coming from, but I think she significantly undervalues that fact that...

Nate is doing this, primarily, because the only family he ever had, for most of his life, Sam, suddenly reappears and is in dire need of his help...or at least he has every reason to believe that's the situation. Elena seems to just dismiss Sam out of hand even when she meets him. You'd think she'd be somewhat more forgiving since a brother he thought was dead for 15 years is actually alive, and in trouble. But no, because he lied to her, she's dead set on punishing him for that betrayal. Never mind what good intentions he may have had in mind.

Maybe there's more of a schism between how Elena reacts, and how I would think she should react because, we, as the players get to see what Nate and Sam's interactions were like as kids from the very beginning of the game. We know that they had each others' backs, no matter what, when they were growing up. So when Elena can't do the same, because Nate lied to her, to protect their relationship (as he explains later in the game), just felt generic and unrelatable to me.

Sure, Nate and Elena slowly regain their passion for each other toward the end of the game as they reprise the glory days they had in Uncharted 1, but by then the game had spent hours and hours as they snapped at each other, and as Elena was there to pull Drake back down to Earth every time he showed any type of enthusiasm for the treasure hunt.

It's more than just lying to her about the salvage job, it's her being fed of up with his shit. They were separated in UC3 for the same reason, she doesn't want to be a part of that life anymore for herself or Nate. It's inferred during their convos she's bailed him out multiple times already and she's sick of it. Not to mention Nate lied about who he was and not having family. Compound this all together and she has every right to be upset. Nate is the asshole here.

I did. I thought the sound design was incredible. No complaints from me.

Edmonson was such a more suitable composer not only to this franchise, but to video games. Jackman just doesn't get it, you hear the same short pieces of music over and over and over again. This isn't a 2-3 hour movie where that would be acceptable. It's a 15+ hour video game, nearing the end and it's tiring. Easily the biggest let down of U4.

Edmonson was such a more suitable composer not only to this franchise, but to video games. Jackman just doesn't get it, you hear the same short pieces of music over and over and over again. This isn't a 2-3 hour movie where that would be acceptable. It's a 15+ hour video game, nearing the end and it's tiring. Easily the biggest let down of U4.

I greatly preferred this soundtrack over the previous games. Not that any of the music in this franchise is all that memorable, mind you.

I'm on ch. 20 now.
Elena's been working out a lot for her to be lifting up Nate at certain points and such. Lol I know they just made every assist the same but watching Elena do all those thing as Sully and Sam was kinda funny to me

even though U4's version of Nate's theme is nice and all, i'm kind of disappointed that at least the main menu doesn't have the energetic version like in the other games.

Is the whole "let me give you a boost" thing used to mask loading times? That's the only explanation I can see making sense, since it's used constantly throughout Uncharted 2, 3, and 4.

even though U4's version of Nate's theme is nice and all, i'm kind of disappointed that at least the main menu doesn't have the energetic version like in the other games.

This I agree with. They should have kept it in for the sake of consistency.

It set a different tone and energy early on which I liked.

I think it demonstrates the contrast between this game and the others... not necessarily a bad thing. I do love Nate's Theme and it was actually used a bit more often in this game through various motifs rather than the sort of in-your-face original.

Yeah, I guess this is true though.

I really disagree with your assessment of Elena, and how she reacted to Drake. How can you hold a grudge against her for being upset, and not understanding, a situation she had no clue about?

Kagari

Crystal Bearer

I think it demonstrates the contrast between this game and the others... not necessarily a bad thing. I do love Nate's Theme and it was actually used a bit more often in this game through various motifs rather than the sort of in-your-face original.

Not just that.
I miss not having the theme after the ending credits. The theme was perfect for the opening and ending for me.

The other versions were much more upbeat and I prefer the old ones.

Is the whole "let me give you a boost" thing used to mask loading times? That's the only explanation I can see making sense, since it's used constantly throughout Uncharted 2, 3, and 4.
that's what it seems like. those parts and the sections where you have to lift some rubble that's blocking the path.

Hah, they keep going on and on about the Malaysian job, but never end up actually going there. Wish there was a Malaysia level, give my home country some love :p

Zyrox

Just got done with the sp (crushing). Was a fun romp, but...everything had a "been there done that" feel to it. There's only so many times the ground crumbling beneath Drake's feet can be exciting, and that stuff and most of the other Uncharted tropes already got kinda old in U3 for me.
The game introduced a few new elements, like the sliding and the rope but I feel like they never really did much with them. Sliding amounts to press buton at the right time (with a super generous window) most of the time and the rope was also basically just an extension of the automated climbing mechanics. The additions never really felt interesting or meaningful and the tried and true stuff was a little too tried and true for my liking. It's definitely a good thing (at least imo) that ND is done with this series now.

Still a good game, but a lot of the excitement of previous entries was gone for me. I'm very interested where ND goes from here though.

It definitely is. Go back and play the games again or listen to the soundtracks. There are plenty of memorable compositions.

Not to mention varied and more native to the games settings and locations, unlike this one where it's just generic.

That's fine if you and others feel that way. I do not.

I replayed the first three games earlier this year. I fully stand by my opinion on the soundtracks for this series. To me, they're serviceable but far from memorable. And even though I prefer U4's soundtrack, I feel the same way about it. It gets the job done but I'll never think about its music outside of the game.

Just completed the game.
took me around 12 hrs.
Overall 8.5/10

The game took a dive in pacing and plot once
when Nate washes ashore after the initial boat scene

The fan service, impressive detail, relationship between characters are amazing.
The most disappointing thing for me is
the treasure hunt was boring af. The whole pirate treasure was so basic and it never drew me in from the get go. Not to mention the lack of the supernatural was heavily disappointing to me. Also the skeleton-dynamite-cavern combo was just a terrible level. Could have removed entirely. The king's bay area with finding the towers and the E3 demo was the highlight of the game to me.

The final boss was rather enjoyable. Epilogue was sweet

Woodchipper

Finished it the other day, and the more I've let it sunk in the more I feel like it's the best game I've ever played, even better than TLoU. The ending is perhaps the best thing I've experienced, not only in games, but in all of pop culture. Simply perfect.

Anyone get the
Guybrush Threepwood reference while solving the puzzle where you have to match the triangles in each block. In the game his name is unkown and his symbol was a monkey. Really loved this reference.

Top Bottom