• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 4: A Thief's End |OT| You're gonna miss this ass

Did you play Second Son? The "evil" ending had me tears laughing at how preposterously stupid it was. They simply do not have the writers to do this game justice.

Just let it be and have The Last of Us become the next evergreen title for Sony I guess...
Yeah Naughty Dog elevated Uncharteds storytelling to another level. I don't know of any developers that can match it, let alone improve on it. Sucker Punch is great at creating fun gameplay, but that's about it.

KillGore

Yeah, I dunno how to respond to this apart from just keep playing.

You'll still love it - trust me.

You'll see what happens at the end. That's all I gotta say.

0421_nid4d.gif

ok!

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
Am I the only one that really dug the
no supernatural element thing? the truth turned out to be just a bunch of assholes stuck on an island
(end game spoilers).
What are you talking about?

There was a supernatural monster in it

THE MONSTER IS MAN

no supernatural element thing? the truth turned out to be just a bunch of assholes stuck on an island
(end game spoilers).

That was one of the best things about it.
The past games ending up justifying Nate's dangerous adventure seeking cuz he has to save the world from the bad guys using the supernatural stuff. Here its like...no. Its a bunch of stolen gold from a bunch of paranoid assholes who ended up killing each other for it. And now all they're doing is walking in their foot steps, killing each other for money.

Ok, I have something weird going on in chapter 17. After this cutscene plays, it goes to the uncharted intro screen with drake holding the gun. There is a message with some kind of empty progress bar that displays "0:00 Remaining" and a prompt to go to the title screen. What is going on?

(end game spoilers).

It was perfect for the ending.
The whole game is so much more grounded compared to the previous ones really, it's basically asking what is next for Drake and Elena, and the non-fantastical ending lets them give up their treasure hunting ways for something different........ which ends up just being the exploring the world aspect.... they didn't give it up because of saving the world, they give it up this time because the gold at the end wasn't worth it, but the chase was worth it, hence the new careeer paths they take.

Also....
Greed Is Good

dralla

Was that overly melodramatic Ch16
old woman
, really necessary?

Felt like the story has been outstanding till that weird aside.

Yea she was. She needed to die to give the bros a reason to take on their new identities. She also fits into the overarching theme of the game (the affects obsession has on a person). I thought the facial animation on Nate's face was especially incredible when she said she know their mother. Learning about their mother and seeing the origins of Nate was one of the most emotional parts of the game for me.

Raxus

The treasures are even harder to find on UC4 than previous games due to the open environments and multiple paths.

Not to mentions the optional conversations, notes, journal entries mucking up collectibles making it kind of a slog to 100% things. I really wish they lightened up on it.

zsynqx

The story and theme aspect of it is important, which is why I think it could still work redone as a cinematic, or at the very least make it a way shorter chapter. I feel like I didn't need an entire chapter devoted to hitting that point home, especially one that drags on and has sub-par dialogue imo.

Maybe you are right, but I really dug the interactive element of exploring the house with your bro and finding all that stuff out for yourself.
For me, if I were to do some trimming, I'd would make the
Scotland
and
Madagascar jeep exploration
chapters shorter. They were the only times where it felt like gameplay for gameplay's sake. (Well the only times where it bothered me)

Edit: Sorry for not spoiler tagging, hope no one saw that.

The only TLOU game I'll accept next is a mid-crisis prequel.

It can be the Children of Men game I always wanted

im totally getting the next one anyway
I would personally like to see The Last of Us' world advance 20+ years. Maybe show shit start to get under control, civilization in the beginning stages of rebuilding itself. Kinda like 28 Weeks Later.

dralla

I don't want another Uncharted game. It just won't feel the same with
Drake being an old man. he had lots of greys in the epilogue meng. Sam as a main character would probably work as a DLC. I hope the DLC includes Chloe or something. I miss her.

A game with Chloe and Cutter (and Sully?) that takes place between 3 and 4 would be da bomb.

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
One of these days, I might try my hand in editing this game into a movie.

And not like just a cutscene compilation but like what KefkaProductions does with MGS in that he does some creative liberties in terms of editing the footage together.

Not saying it'll be a good one, but it'd make a nice exercise

Stop playing at the end of ch.15......WHAT THE WHAT!!!!!

Damn it Sam, how can you play your brother like that!? And how on earth did Elena find Drake? Her Drake done fucked up senses were tingling

Zocano

The approach in Chapter 17 literally just had me going "that's not real, that's just a photograph. They just took a photograph and slapped it in the background. This is all fake"

I am a more negative than some on this game, I still enjoy it a ton. I just see wasted potential of what could have been an U2 level masterpiece. I wrote a fairly long review, posted it on a small gaming site I visit in case anyone cares to read it.

My playtime is probably going to be closer to the 20 hour range because I spent two hours just zooming in on silly mundane objects. :)

I want to continue Chapter 17 tonight, but I'm so freaking tired...

Hey Vire I had similar complaints like you about pacing and too much platforming and lack of combat. How do you feel about now where you are? I'm a few chapters behind you..

It was perfect for the ending.
The whole game is so much more grounded compared to the previous ones really, it's basically asking what is next for Drake and Elena, and the non-fantastical ending lets them give up their treasure hunting ways for something different........ which ends up just being the exploring the world aspect.... they didn't give it up because of saving the world, they give it up this time because the gold at the end wasn't worth it, but the chase was worth it, hence the new careeer paths they take.

Also....
Greed Is Good

Was very, very happy this was the case.

That was one of the best things about it.
The past games ending up justifying Nate's dangerous adventure seeking cuz he has to save the world from the bad guys using the supernatural stuff. Here its like...no. Its a bunch of stolen gold from a bunch of paranoid assholes who ended up killing each other for it. And now all they're doing is walking in their foot steps, killing each other for money.

Loved it personally.

What are you talking about?

There was a supernatural monster in it

THE MONSTER IS MAN

Reading all that made me want to replay the game, I was going to take a few days break from it then go for other playthroughs but no. Man, really loved it. As well as the subdued score, that
jeep ride
moment though and it's great that it's not the only
quiet, intimate
moment in the game. These are the moments that would stay with me aside from the setpieces. In previous UC games, you can't feel or say the same thing obviously.

e: I'm happy to read that people also enjoyed the final boss, as did I. It was very well done as long as you get a hold of the controls which I did in a minute or so.

Yup. I had to stand still for a bit and just admire the scenery.

Yes, this is probably the only game where I had to admire all the beautiful work everyone put in. Half of my time was spent just looking at all the detail in the world around me. It's done so well that it's easily for you to get immersed into it.

Vire

Hey Vire I had similar complaints like you about pacing and too much platforming and lack of combat. How do you feel about now where you are? I'm a few chapters behind you..
I feel like it's ramped up a bit since the end of Chapter 13 and there was some really fun encounters, combined with some utterly astoundingly beautiful scenery (I mean what you have seen so far is amazing looking, but this absolutely takes the cake! Everything just feels like it was firing on all cylinders from story reveals, to set piece to open encounter design.

I very much enjoyed it and hope you do too!

Stoze

Maybe you are right, but I really dug the interactive element of exploring the house with your bro and finding all that stuff out for yourself.
For me, if I were to do some trimming, I'd would make the
Scotland
and
Madagascar jeep exploration
chapters shorter. They were the only times where it felt like gameplay for gameplay's sake. (Well the only times where it bothered me)

Edit: Sorry for not spoiler tagging, hope no one saw that.

Yeah I'd like those shorter as well, or at least put some more interesting things to find there.

Controversial opinion maybe, but I'd like to see the collectible treasure mechanic be gone with the current way they have it. It feels really dated when in the same game you can actually pick up objects and inspect them, as well as find occasional notes and environmental tidbits. There were quite a lot of disappointing moments where I find a neat side area with some extra traversing that ends up leading to what amounts to a shiny dot on the ground.

Mik2121

Reading all that made me want to replay the game, I was going to take a few days break from it then go for other playthroughs but no. Man, really loved it. As well as the subdued score, that
jeep ride
moment though and it's great that it's not the only
quiet, intimate
moment in the game. These are the moments that would stay with me aside from the setpieces. In previous UC games, you can't feel or say the same thing obviously.
Same here. I finished it and now want to get back again. The characters were great, and the fact that there was no weird shit going on with aliens or whatever was great. Will probably do another round slowly to take a bunch of pics. This game is visually stunning...!!

I will miss Uncharted though. This kind of adventure stuff is awesome, and there are so many other stories and myths they could go for... but I understand them not wanting to milk the hell out of it. Hopefully Sony doesn't feel the need to do it either.

I wonder how many artists are at Naughty Dog. The amount of unique assets scattered about the 15 hour experience is just ridiculous. I really would like to know the budget of this thing compared to other AAA titles.

Or maybe it's just that they don't sleep. Either way, I appreciate the hard work.
They outsourced to like 5 different Chinese art houses

(end game spoilers).

Nah I rather have
new enemy types to spice up the gameplay. The end of uncharted games always brought that unpredictable element to them, not so in this game. The end was two chapters of climbing shit and one sword fight. It could have used ghost pirates.

daveo42

Banned
Just wrapped UC4. Marvelous game. Very beautiful and a much better final boss fight than I think some of the previous in the series. A very nice send off to one of the best series of the last decade. You could tell the love and care put into all aspects of the game from start to finish and they really did a good job with that final chapter.

UC4 > UC2 > UC3 = UC1

UC4 edges out two thanks to some of the improvements in combat and movement.

daxter01

8/8/2010 Blackace was here
The game would have been alot better if it had couple of mini encounters in chapters
12, 15 19 and 21
. Also chapter 16 could have been 4 minute cutscene

I am definitely going to replay this on the easiest difficulty to really get goofy with some of the combat encounters. I died a surprising amount on "moderate".

LiK

I am definitely going to replay this on the easiest difficulty to really get goofy with some of the combat encounters. I died a surprising amount on "moderate".

Turn on autoaim too. Heard it makes combat a breeze. I may do that for some of the headshot trophies.

DirtyLarry

Just finished.

Easily in my Top 10 games ever made. Probably in my Top 5. Very well may be in my Top 3.
Depending on the day and my mood, I can probably even make the argument for it being #1. That may be a stretch, but I have to let it all sink in.

It is easily my favorite game of this current console generation. Easily.

It was not without some minor flaws, but it was perfect all things considered.

I do believe what would have made it no questions asked when of the best games ever was taking about 2-3 hours off of it and also way less
boosts to ladders and boxes to reach unreachable ledges.
And I do think taking 2 to 3 hours off of it could have easily resolved those two very minor critiques.

I am an 80's kid who also happened to play home video games since their inception.
The game that made me fall in love with video games, and also happened to be the first game I beat which was no easy task, was Pitfall.

I have said since Uncharted 1 to me the Uncharted series is all of my years in between Pitfall and the initial release of Uncharted all wrapped up and combined into one perfect package. The first Uncharted was literally a representation and culmination of everything I loved in video games up to that point, and we are already talking a decent amount of years there. 25 years to be exact. That first game represented everything I had loved about videogames up until that point and paid homage to the first game that got me personally hooked.

For myself ranking the series would be 4 > 2 > 1 > 3.
And FTR I very much enjoyed 3 myself. I just enjoyed the other ones that much more.

Thank you Naughty Dog for creating one of my personal favorite video game series ever.

TissueBox

In regards to the ending,
specifically the epilogue
:

First, I loved every thing it made me feel playing it, second, I was actually a bit disappointed about UC4's existence after realizing that there wasn't a whole game dedicated to the type of game the ending showed glimmers of, and third, all it really made me want was a pseudo open-world drama/mystery adventure game equal parts Persona (lifting from the life sim high school segments, of course), Gone Home, and Sam and Max, all Nancy Drew style (with maybe a pinch of Veronica Mars).

In other words,

NAUGHTY DOG NANCY DREW GAME? YES PLZ STRUCKLEY C'MON MY WALLET I'M THROWING IT.

Seriously, the detail, the mundane interactions, the atmosphere was so small in portion yet it smacked me that a game fully oriented around this in AAA Naughty Dog fashion would be incredible. Like I said, UC4 was good -- but let Neil and Bruce build something from scratch. Let them work at their creative fullest on a fully fleshed world and I think they could come up with something incredibly fresh. But anyways, enough of me secretly vocalizing my hopes for a good AAA Gone Home knockoff.

LiK

UC4>UC2>UC1>UC3

3 had some fun moments but the combat encounters were the worst outta the whole series with bizarre checkpoints and some awful enemy placement where it's just frustrating. I had the least fun with it.

My final rankings:

U2>U4>U3>U1>GA

U2 is still the masterpiece, U4 could have been that if not for the major pacing problems.

I still feel like U4 was better simply because it (for me at least) made going through the levels an experience. In UC2/3, I never quite felt "omg wow!!!" when getting to new places. They looked nice but that was it. I wasn't in awe. In UC4?? I was in awe at every damn place.

Finished. What an amazing experience. I think The Last of Us is still my favorite Naughty Dog game, but I'll probably need to play U4 again before I know for sure. I can confidently say this is my favorite entry in the Uncharted franchise.

And now the ridiculously long wait for Naughty Dog's next game begins. At least we have the single-player DLC to look forward to.

Zocano

UC4>UC2>UC1>UC3

3 had some fun moments but the combat encounters were the worst outta the whole series with bizarre checkpoints and some awful enemy placement where it's just frustrating. I had the least fun with it.

I thought 2 and 3 let you move about combat arenas more liberally (like the big sandstorm fight in Uncharted 3 right before you get to the city.

While there were more mobility options in 4, I felt that you just die too quickly and are too exposed to make use of them and a lot of the initial placements in combat encounters kind of forces you to sit in one spot until you thin enough dudes to move elsewhere.

Top Bottom