• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 4: A Thief's End |OT| You're gonna miss this ass

User1608

Banned
Finally beat 3 HD and will now move on to 4!!! A quick question for those who have beat it:

Anything at least vaguely
supernatural in the game? I really love those parts in 1+2.
either way gonna start now and super excited!! Also got the Special Edition yaaaay.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Anyone get the
Guybrush Threepwood reference while solving the puzzle where you have to match the triangles in each block. In the game his name is unkown and his symbol was a monkey. Really loved this reference.

This pops up several times.

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
Finally beat 3 HD and will now move on to 4!!! A quick question for those who have beat it:

Anything at least vaguely
supernatural in the game? I really love those parts in 1+2.
either way gonna start now and super excited!! Also for the Special Edition yaaaay.

Nope. It's the most 'grounded' game in the series.

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
Thanks for answering! I'm fine with that. I'm sure the game will be a blast.:)

Well, there is one monster you should be concerned about.

kRlgkx.gif

Anyone get the
Guybrush Threepwood reference while solving the puzzle where you have to match the triangles in each block. In the game his name is unkown and his symbol was a monkey. Really loved this reference.

I was just about to come here and ask whether anyone knew who that guy was. That's pretty cool

Well, I just finished it and still have no idea how I really feel about the game. The last 90 minutes - 2 hours were fairly strong, but man it took 20 Chapters to really inject some sustained adrenaline (beyond the Madagascar chase), and provide like 3 minutes of more interesting platforming. I gotta be honest, the pacing in this was a pretty big issue for me. I made a post 2 days ago when I was somewhere around Chapter 12 that I liked how 8-9 reminded me of the ice caves in Uncharted 2, but I didn't think like 80% of the game would be that. It's a more subdued experience to the point of feeling tepid during that Chapter 13-17 stretch. And when the real excitement comes, it lasts moments before you're back to cooldown sections.

On combat: There wasn't enough of it, period. It's like 350+ less enemies compared to Uncharted 2, in a game that's anywhere from 6-8 hours longer. Didn't work for me. I was never one of these people complaining that the previous games had too much combat, I just wanted ND to keep improving it. And now that they've really made it better, like MUCH better, there's much less in there. And sure the wider arenas are cool, but there are so few of them in the grand scheme. Then those rare moments when you hit a classic Uncharted 2 style cleverly constructed linear shootout like Chapter 17's
elevator encounter
, there's no escalation or follow through. It's there one moment, and gone the next as you go right back to walk + talk or simple platforming.

Puzzles: I know this game isn't classic Tomb Raider, and I don't need it to be, but nothing was happening here. Neither the actual puzzles or platforming puzzles were impressive, even in a "manipulating grandiose ancient mechanisms" sort of way like some from the last games were.

Set-pieces: Great, if fairly short lived. I don't need huge Uncharted 3 airplane set-pieces, hell I don't even like UC3, so I was fine with the scripted moments in this game. My only real problem goes back to how they worked within the game's pacing, feeling basically like defibrillator shots to the chest to briefly give you a pulse, rather than caps on big flowing action sequences.

Visuals: Amazing. I don't need to gush here. The presentation is outstanding.

Story: It's cool. Again, everything's so subdued that I kinda just feel like Nate's jaded "been there done that" attitude was rubbing off on me. The animation is brilliant, and the performances are great, but I still think Uncharted 2 had the most entertaining script and cast. Nothing in this touches the Nate/Chloe/Elena/Flynn dynamic. All the individual pairings work well (Nate and Elena, Nate and Sam, Nate and Sully) but as a whole I wasn't feeling that interplay, wit, or charm like UC2. It's also very cutscene heavy to start, but I guess the long stretches of gameplay from the middle on make up for that, and they absolutely attempted to pay off everything they established, maybe to the point of overdoing it.

So that all sounds super negative, but I'm not that down on the game, especially not in the way I was down on UC3. There are a lot of fun, beautiful sequences here, combat is REALLY good when you actually get your little baby's dose of it (more so before they start adding those brute enemies), the whole thing is INCREDIBLY well presented and the tech/art on display is crazy. I just wanted more of that super precise, momentum driven pacing. They took what was a shooter-story-adventure tiered game, and switched that to story-adventure-shooter. Obviously a ton of people are liking that, but hey, I also didn't like Left Behind as much as TLOU. There's not a lot for me to sink my teeth into on a replay. This isn't a game I can turn on and just let flow and take me on a swashbuckling adventure, which is funny considering the treasure hunt in this one.

Anyway, I'm rambling. I don't even know what I'd rate this, but it's definitely not as great a campaign as UC2 or TLOU to me. In attempting to ground the game, or create a response to the ludonarrative dissonance crowd, or the "mass murderer' crowd, or have a more story focused experience, they sort of lost me.

Best ending in the series though, so at least it finishes strong.

Skux

Just finished the game. Just marvellous. The perfect send off for the series.

Loved every part of it. The production value is just incredible. The combat is the best it's ever been. The sense of adventure and discovery is unrivalled. The set pieces are thrilling and executed almost flawlessly. The deliberately slower pace lets the characters get the most development they've ever had, and gives the game the breathing room to tell a fantastic story.

This is one of those games that sets the bar higher for the whole medium.

Just finished the game. Just marvellous. The perfect send off for the series.

Loved every part of it. The production value is just incredible. The combat is the best it's ever been. The sense of adventure is unrivalled. The set pieces are thrilling and executed almost flawlessly. The deliberately slower pace lets the characters get the most development they've ever had, and gives the game the breathing room to tell a fantastic story.

This will set the bar for adventure/TPS games for some time to come.

This is why, despite any issues I have with the game, it's my favorite entry in the franchise.

It's the first Uncharted game where I would been ok with more combat. It's sooooo good.

This game is really turning out to be divisive among Gaffers. For me, its the best game I have ever played. It was a phenomenal experience from start to finish.

Anyway, I'm rambling. I don't even know what I'd rate this, but it's definitely not as great a campaign as UC2 or TLOU to me. In attempting to ground the game, or create a response to the ludonarrative dissonance crowd, or the "mass murderer' crowd, or have a more story focused experience, they sort of lost me.

yeppers

I especially like how
chapter 20 is basically the only encounter-focused chapter in the game, while also being literally the last instance of traditional combat in the game. And man, that ending fight with Rafe where two guys are dueling with swords was so intense that I definitely needed the entirety of chapter 21 to be a cooldown and get me ready for it.
Whyyyyyyy.

Me and Papercuts literally sat staring at the chapter select screen for like an hour trying to wrap our heads around it. Wish you could have been there :l

ChawlieTheFair

pip pip cheerio you slags!
Do you have to sit through the credits to get the crushing trophy? I hit quit to main menu since there was no skip credits option and my crushing trophy didn't pop. I also have gameplay modifiers on (i'm a scrub) but I read online that it wouldn't affect trophies.

Oh and for anyone who is annoyed by the final on crushing:
literally just mash circle and triangle one after the other, Nate will block everything you don't even have to look.

ChrisW

Uncharted 4 looks amazing but I have to get this off my chest. MGS2 rain > Uncharted 4 rain
It's strange the water is this game is the one thing that seems to let it down, countless times at waterfalls or when looking down holes the water just doesn't look right or when you walk past it the splashes look strange, but I guess it's a trade off for the rest looking so good and being able to swim in it too

Burning Justice

the superior princess
I just finished the game today. Not 100% sure at this point how it ranks among my favorite games, but it's safe to say I really enjoyed it.

Here are some of my thoughts right after finishing:

I was iffy on them making an Uncharted 4 based on the way Uncharted 3 ended, but the story really turned out well. Nate really does feel like his priorities have changed since previous games.
The epilogue was great. It really wrapped things up in a way that made it feel like the series is concluded. I know Uncharted 3's ending felt like it wrapped things up as well, but this one was even better.
I really liked the exploration/platforming sections.
The combat is better in this game than it has been in past Uncharteds, and the stealth mechanics are much more fun from a gameplay perspective, even if they aren't as realistic. That said, I still prefer exploring to combat in these games.
I didn't care for the final boss fight against Rafe. Definitely the least enjoyable part of the game for me.

Overall, Uncharted 4 is my GOTY so far--though there really isn't much competition on that front right now.

EDIT: Apparently spoiler tags don't work with lists... Sorry if anyone saw the original version of my post.

Sure, it's more complicated that that, but I still felt that is what her dialogue generally boiled down to in terms of how it affected the enjoyment of the game for me, as the player.
I'd disagree.
Elena never comes across as ruining Nate's fun, and she's supposed to come across as very sympathetic. She has been lied to for weeks on end by her husband because he was too cowardly to confront her about it, and she even says something along the lines of she would've helped if he'd told her. It was really irresponsible and shitty of him to do that - the fact that she even forgives him is incredibly gracious.

Zocano

I'm not really a huge fan of "oh, hey, here's this big important character that never showed up in the past but is supposed to be really integral to Nathan Drake's character development!"

Still wasn't a fan of Sam after finishing the game.

dreamfall

Ending spoilers and what happens next:

How cool is Cassie?! She's going to be the next Lara Croft! Give me games with her older in her 20's uncovering new relics, it would be so perfect!

Zocano

What I think this game does way better than the other three is that it very much feels "globe trotting" and the movement from place to place felt built up to and well connected. And because of the much larger exploration levels, it helped build up that feeling of traversing long distances even more. I liked that a good bit.

I still get the feeling that Uncharted 3's combat arenas let you move about the most though I feel I'd need to give it another replay. 4 gives you a ton of tools but I felt they expose you too much and often the start of a combat encounter is too hot and doesn't give you as much freedom as other encounters in the previous games.

SRTtoZ

Just beat the game. It took me 18 hours and I didn't even search every nook and cranny. Wow, what a game. Goodbye Uncharted ;_;

Fucking loved every minute.

mishakoz

Holy crap, i just finished. Massive spoilers below.

This game is amazing. one of the best and most complete I have ever played.

1) I am absolutely perplexed by the choice of VO for the younger Sam. I spent the entire first part of the game expecting some weird twist because young Sam sounds waaaaaaay more like Raife. I could not get it out of my head and I have to admit it ruined some of the younger Drake scenes. It doesnt help that younger sam also looks a lot like Raife

2) Cassie sounds like Ellie, isnt, (okay, its not, but she sounds soooo similar.)

3) The last fight sequence is amazing. I was on such an adrenaline high, the mobility and most dynamic fight areas really lets the combat shine in ways it never had before

4) Disappointed (mildly) by the lack of any supernatural elements. I know they toned them down every game since the first but I really like the whole supernatural twist thing, even if its "explained" like it was in 3.

5) the attention to detail is amazing. The epilogue was an unexpected pleasant surprise, lots of amazing dialogue and I got sucked in. Very well written, incredibly executed.

This is a near perfect game. Its not my favorite game, maybe not even in my top 10, but it accomplishes everything it sets itself to do and then some, which in my mind is as close to perfection as you can get. I know its a running joke, but it didnt feel like I was playing a video game. There were no invisible walls, no immersion breaking glitches, no repeated dialogue, no mouths not moving when they speak.

Zocano

Holy crap, i just finished. Massive spoilers below.

1) I am absolutely perplexed by the choice of VO for the younger Sam. I spent the entire first part of the game expecting some weird twist because young Sam sounds waaaaaaay more like Raife. I could not get it out of my head and I have to admit it ruined some of the younger Drake scenes. It doesnt help that younger sam also looks a lot like Raife

I honestly thought they'd do a big twist where
young Sam was actually Nathan and they did a big name swap because young Sam just looks exactly like Nathan.

So as for the Single Player DLC:
anyone thinks it might be about Sully and Elena between her storming out of the motel all they way until she finds Nathan in the Island. In the mean time Sully could tell her one of his stories and we get to play them as a flashback. Hell it could be about how Sully met Sam after finding Nate in Colombia.

Is anyone disappointed that we didn't get
a mid-game boss fight with Knot and Orca
. Would have been an interesting fight for them to go against Nate and Sam.

The most disappointing thing for me is
the treasure hunt was boring af. The whole pirate treasure was so basic and it never drew me in from the get go. Not to mention the lack of the supernatural was heavily disappointing to me. Also the skeleton-dynamite-cavern combo was just a terrible level. Could have removed entirely. The king's bay area with finding the towers and the E3 demo was the highlight of the game to me.

I think the pirate treasure is the best treasure hunt in the series. It's the only treasure that I cared about and got me hooked from the beginning till the end. And the lack of stupid supernatural stuff is the best news I've ever heard about this game! I was prepared to be disappointed with supernatural twist but thank god it's not there. I like the more grounded approach. We got different taste I guess.

So as for the Single Player DLC:
anyone thinks it might be about Sully and Elena between her storming out of the motel all they way until she finds Nathan in the Island. In the mean time Sully could tell her one of his stories and we get to play them as a flashback. Hell it could be about how Sully met Sam after finding Nate in Colombia.

Sully hasn't met Sam before though.

What I really, really, love about Uncharted 4 is how everything, story-wise, even within the context of the game itself, ultimately ties back together in ways you don't realise until you've finished the entire game.

At the start of the game
you kinda assume the only person that is zoned out of the domesticated relationship life is Nathan, with how overtly obvious it's telegraphed with the attic scene and him being bored to death talking to Elena.

But towards the end of the game, once we see
Elena and Nathan having banter that is much more teaseful, honest and pushes each other ever so slightly more than how they acted with each other, you could see that while Elena is handling it a whole whole lot better, their relationship being stuck in a weird rut applied to the both of them. Elena was just as affected as Nathan is. The illusion of a wonderful relationship is sustained by the charisma of the characters, but it's clear that they're in the stage where they were just meandering through boredom & normalcy.

The payoffs in this game really lets you reflect and see scenes in the earlier parts of the game differently. Not significantly, but enough to acknowledge the nuances of how the themes, character beats and final payoffs were really set-up from the very start of the game.

Brine

Really? I thought for sure that he knew him, seems crazy for Nate to keep Sam a secret from Sully all these years. Oh well point still stands, I still want to play as young Sully and I want ND to make it happen :)
They've definitely met, I recall a specific sequence in the beginning of the game when Sam said something like "are we talking about the same Sullivan here?"

Top Bottom