• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 4: A Thief's End |OT| You're gonna miss this ass

Just finished my first playthrough on Crushing and have mixed feelings. The game is extremely well made and shows how good ND is at making cinematic games. However, there were some things that made the game annoying for me to play:

- Combat is definitely not made for Crushing. 3 or 4 combat sequences were absolutely frustrating and I felt I was fighting the controls as well. It's so weird and I never really got used to them but this game seems like it'd be much better playing on easier difficulties where you can do crazy shit. I wish the game were more grounded in reality where a shot to the arm or neck would stagger a T shirt wearing merc.

- It's a bit long as others have stated. some things could've been cut out or just made into a cinematic.

- Ending Spoilers:
Rafe should've been a short QTE or cinematic. I had trouble reading his moves and the camera would sometimes obscure him, making the fight more challenging that it needed to be. I had absolutely no fun fighting him though the idea was novel.

Overall, a well made game and don't play on Crushing otherwise your experience will be soured.

Slixshot

Banned
Just finished my first playthrough on Crushing and have mixed feelings. The game is extremely well made and shows how good ND is at making cinematic games. However, there were some things that made the game annoying for me to play:

- Combat is definitely not made for Crushing. 3 or 4 combat sequences were absolutely frustrating and I felt I was fighting the controls as well. It's so weird and I never really got used to them but this game seems like it'd be much better playing on easier difficulties where you can do crazy shit. I wish the game were more grounded in reality where a shot to the arm or neck would stagger a T shirt wearing merc.

- It's a bit long as others have stated. some things could've been cut out or just made into a cinematic.

- Ending Spoilers:
Rafe should've been a short QTE or cinematic. I had trouble reading his moves and the camera would sometimes obscure him, making the fight more challenging that it needed to be. I had absolutely no fun fighting him though the idea was novel.

Overall, a well made game and don't play on Crushing otherwise your experience will be soured.

Do you mean "Hard" instead of Crushing, because you can't play your first playthrough on crushing.

Also, I don't think any of the Uncharted games were made for Crushing. It adds artificial and purposeful difficulty to the game. It's literally called "Crushing" and they all do a pretty good job at crushing me. Now, if you mean "Hard", then it was rather challenging and I agree -- play on easy or normal first for the story. Go back later for trophies.

Do you mean "Hard" instead of Crushing, because you can't play your first playthrough on crushing.

Also, I don't think any of the Uncharted games were made for Crushing. It adds artificial and purposeful difficulty to the game. It's literally called "Crushing" and they all do a pretty good job at crushing me. Now, if you mean "Hard", then it was rather challenging and I agree -- play on easy or normal first for the story. Go back later for trophies.

You can actually select Crushing even though it's greyed out. it'll say something like "this is too hard, don't play it" then will become selectable.

I thought it'd be along the lines of Grounded mode for TLOU, but that makes a lot of sense. I'll replay it on easy to make it more Indiana Jonesey

edit: wow there are unlockable cheats too!

zsynqx

You actually can play crushing first time, even though it is greyed out.

ZeroX03

Banned
ND games are balanced for default difficulty. TLoU is better on Hard, but in general the higher difficulties (or the stupid Brutal in the Remastered) just limits game options and turns things into a grind. Play on the default first, unless you really want to get trophies as fast as possible.

Demo85

Banned
Polished it off last night. Really hard for me to express how I feel about this game. I really dislike a lot about the game. Mainly the gun play, the stealth, to many boxes with wheels/hills to slide down,
the entire Sam character
. On the other hand a lot of the story stuff and the locations you go to (
Besides Scotland, that entire chapter could of been cut
) are the best in gaming.

I really wish Naughty Dog and Crystal Dynamics would merge. Get the gunplay/weapon upgrades of RotTR with the writing and locations of Uncharted to make the best action adventure game ever.

I still wish
Sam was not in the game and instead it was Sully that dragged Drake back into it. Rally wish they showed more respect towards the Elena character by either having Drake tell her whats up at the start or have made her really leave him for his bullshit. Also spent the entire game chasing this treasure, would of been nice to have explored the ship with Sam before the traps set it on fire

U2>U4>U3>U1>GA

Didn't play Golden Abyss, but the rest holds for me. Uncharted 2 had better, tighter pacing overall, and I liked the 'race against the clock/deteriorating environment' setpiece levels in 2 a bit more than in 4 (stuff like the helicopter chase where it was shredding the environment but you still had a fair degree of control).

U4 is way up there, though, and I loved the way it wrapped up Nate's story with the final chapter and epilogue. I'm also glad they brought back the fun cheat bonuses from 2 - they make replays so much more varied and enjoyable and were sorely missing from 3.

The visuals, animation, and attention to detail were terrific throughout, and the dramatic painterly lighting was astounding. The entire look is a terrific merging between good art direction and advanced tech. There are occasional parts where it causes some issues, but overall their temporal anti-aliasing solution looked way beyond other PS4 titles I've played.

I also love the addition of the photo mode and was constantly playing with it, swinging the camera into areas and angles that the normal gameplay camera wouldn't normally allow.

Am I the only one that really dug the
no supernatural element thing? the truth turned out to be just a bunch of assholes stuck on an island
(end game spoilers).

I enjoyed how it turned out as well. Given the other titles,
I went in expecting the downfall of the society to be the result of some vaguely biologically plausible but functionally supernatural element as well, but when it was revealed that everything fell apart due to human nature and the inherent greed of the pirates, I was pleased with the change of pace.

I really wish Naughty Dog and Crystal Dynamics would merge. Get the gunplay/weapon upgrades of RotTR with the writing and locations of Uncharted to make the best action adventure game ever.

This was my feeling when I was playing too. the combat in uncharted is equivalent to the writing of TR2013.

JTripper

I thought the pacing was actually really good. I can't think of a better way to arrange the chapters and the story the game told. It always felt like I was doing something fun or important whether it was fighting, exploring, or platforming. I wouldn't have changed any chapter/sequence to be longer or shorter to be honest and I believe this game would not have benefited from encounter after encounter no matter how well done the pacing was such as with Uncharted 2. I cherished the quiet, reflective exploration in this game.

The fighting was always my least favorite parts of the Uncharted games, mainly because I thought that it was the series' weakest mechanic even though it could still be fun. The fact that you can approach many of the encounters however you'd like was a huge plus for me.

Hoo boy, Ch 13 and 14 have to be among the prettiest settings I've seen in a game. A little better on pacing than first half of game, but 11 is still my high point, by far.

TLOU is my favorite game ever made and UC4 borrows heavily from it. Just finished the game and all I can say is this game is incredible.

I'll probably say this is up there with TLOU, but probably just a notch below. I think the gameplay in TLOU is a little bit better and the story is as well. But this is easily my favorite Uncharted story

I think my favorite parts of the game had nothing to do with the things that Uncharted is known for. Hopefully those who finished the game will understand what I mean.

Lima

I stealthed my way through most of what I could and it was amazing. Much improved over the other games.

The more open areas and tall grass are amazing additions for this.

I also love how seamless you go from stealth to fuck shit up. Alright I stealth killed everyone in that last encounter. Now that I'm full on grenades and ammo I need to give these toys a try.

Randam

Played half of chapter 8(?)
Scotland
yesterday.
And I'm still not feeling it.
Idk.
Sliding btw, especially the sideways sliding is kinda stupid imo and unnecessary.
It doesn't look that good either. But maybe that's because I'm sitting at my desk and am playing it on my pc monitor.

EktorOni

This was my feeling when I was playing too. the combat in uncharted is equivalent to the writing of TR2013.

I think this is a gross exaggeration. Combat is fine and more than serviceable, as-is, in Uncharted 4, unlike the writing in Tomb Raider (which is... Well, not serviceable).

Naughty Dog and Crystal Dynamics have radically different purposes and motivations, as studios. The first is totally into mastering that "Active Cinematic Experience" (not to mention they were, basically, the pioneers of it), putting storytelling and pacing up front; the latter is a studio that has borrowed heavily from what Naughty Dog started, but with a marked emphasis on core gameplay and upgrade trees (and other RPG-lite elements), sacrificing storytelling and pacing in the process.

They're both necessary in today's modern gaming landscape.

Raxus

Played half of chapter 8(?)
Scotland
yesterday.
And I'm still not feeling it.
Idk.
Sliding btw, especially the sideways sliding is kinda stupid imo and unnecessary.
It doesn't look that good either. But maybe that's because I'm sitting at my desk and am playing it on my pc monitor.

The first few chapters are arguably the weakest of the series but it course corrects rather quickly past that point.

Lima

The first few chapters are arguably the weakest of the series but it course corrects rather quickly past that point.

They are the strongest for me. I love the slow start. It's the reason why 3 is above 2 for me.

And then when they get fucking going boy do they get going.

They are the strongest for me. I love the slow start. It's the reason why 3 is above 2 for me.

And then when they get fucking going boy do they get going.

Agreed. These games are all about story for me and the slow pacing adds to that.

For me it's easily U4 > U3 > U2 > U1.

EDIT: I should also point out that Uncharted is my absolute favorite series and all four of them are probably in my top ten favorite games of all time. Saying one is better than the others isn't really playing favorites...they're all favorites.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
wow. pretty surprised to see the positive reactions here. i am bored out of my mind with these auto platforming sections. i never minded them in the previous games but here there is just so much of it. pretty much every chapter starts off with a lengthy 30 minute platforming section which might as well be automatic at this point. they could have done so much with the rope mechanics but it all boils down to press up and x and sometimes L1.

I can literally count the combat encounters on my fingers. setpieces are even more rare. I am at Chapter 15 and the E3 sequence was the only thing worthy of a setpiece. i guess the bell tower one was another.

I dont know. I am just baffled by some of the game design choices ND have made here. You create these massive open world areas and fill it with nothing? Chapter 12 is a whole lot of nothing. I love TLOU and even in its quieter moments they had you find collectibles and upgrades. It made exploring those areas so much fun. Here it's activating a bunch of random conversations and picking up a useless treasure or two. I thought ND cared about interactivity. I used to defend them back in the day pointing out how Uncharted pretty much lets you play sequences that would otherwise be QTEs or just plain cutscenes in other games. But now they just seem interested in hand holding you from one place to the next sprinkling in a combat encounter here and there.

I am all for story and i love what they did with TLOU, but you cannot phone in the gameplay. when the game is 80% platforming/puzzles like it has has been so far it needs to be a little more interactive. it needs to have a fail state. there needs to be a challenge. i dont want to sleep walk through your game .

EDIT: I am a big graphics whore and this is by far the most impressive game i have ever played. And yet i feel that there is no point in exploring these locations so i reluctantly move on.

wow. pretty surprised to see the positive reactions here. i am bored out of my mind with these auto platforming sections. i never minded them in the previous games but here there is just so much of it. pretty much every chapter starts off with a lengthy 30 minute platforming section which might as well be automatic at this point. they could have done so much with the rope mechanics but it all boils down to press up and x and sometimes L1.

I can literally count the combat encounters on my fingers. setpieces are even more rare. I am at Chapter 15 and the E3 sequence was the only thing worthy of a setpiece. i guess the bell tower one was another.

I dont know. I am just baffled by some of the game design choices ND have made here. You create these massive open world areas and fill it with nothing? Chapter 12 is a whole lot of nothing. I love TLOU and even in its quieter moments they had you find collectibles and upgrades. It made exploring those areas so much fun. Here it's activating a bunch of random conversations and picking up a useless treasure or two. I thought ND cared about interactivity. I used to defend them back in the day pointing out how Uncharted pretty much lets you play sequences that would otherwise be QTEs or just plain cutscenes in other games. But now they just seem interested in hand holding you from one place to the next sprinkling in a combat encounter here and there.

I am all for story and i love what they did with TLOU, but you cannot phone in the gameplay. when the game is 80% platforming/puzzles like it has has been so far it needs to be a little more interactive. it needs to have a fail state. there needs to be a challenge. i dont want to sleep walk through your game .

Agreed.

daxter01

8/8/2010 Blackace was here
My final ND games ranking
TLOU>Jak2>U2>Jak1>U1>CTR>Jak3>>U4>JaK X combat racing>U3> Crash 3> Crash 2 >Crash 1

I think this is a gross exaggeration. Combat is fine and more than serviceable, as-is, in Uncharted 4, unlike the writing in Tomb Raider (which is... Well, not serviceable).

Naughty Dog and Crystal Dynamics have radically different purposes and motivations, as studios. The first is totally into mastering that "Active Cinematic Experience" (not to mention they were, basically, the pioneers of it), putting storytelling and pacing up front; the latter is a studio that has borrowed heavily from what Naughty Dog started, but with a marked emphasis on core gameplay and upgrade trees (and other RPG-lite elements), sacrificing storytelling and pacing in the process.

They're both necessary in today's modern gaming landscape.

Fair enough, it was an exaggeration due to how frustrating Crushing mode was for me. I was never able to effectively stealth in most sections due to how open each area and going guns blazing was just more effective. I'd say it's more comparable to Witcher 3's combat.

There are a lot less combat moments in this game than the others but the ones here are infinitely better. I literally enjoyed every single combat encounter in this game. I cannot say the same for any other entry in the franchise. Even Uncharted 2 has action moments I found tedious, despite that game being great overall.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
I dreaded a lot of the combat sections in the other games, except maybe 2? But in 4 I had fun with all of them - especially the final fight.

There are a lot less combat moments in this game than the others but the ones here are infinitely better. I literally enjoyed every single combat encounter in this game. I cannot say the same for any other entry in the franchise. Even Uncharted 2 has action moments I found tedious, despite that game being great overall.

Agreed, also the emotional scenes felt way more impactful then previous games.

I dreaded a lot of the combat sections in the other games, except maybe 2? But in 4 I had fun with all of them - especially the final fight.

Yep. Stealth actually being a viable option made things so much more interesting for me. And that final boss was indeed wonderful. I know a lot of people in this thread hated it, but I'm definitely not one of them .

Randam

I'm still not adjusted to the controls. Take me way, WAY to many tries to beat the last encounter in chapter 7.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Yep. Stealth actually being a viable option made things so much more interesting for me. And that final boss was indeed wonderful. I know a lot of people in this thread hated it, but I'm definitely not one of them .

Admittedly I died a ton but the uh...
one liners from Rafe made it totally worth it.

bcom33

Neo Member
Finished the game last night. Played on moderate and game timer was at 15 1/2 hours. I'll start off by saying that this game had some unbelievable moments. It is also graphically very, very impressive. Clearly Naughty Dog is a studio at the height of its powers.

All that being said, I have some major issues with the game. I'll preface this by saying that The Last of Us is a top 5 game all-time for me, so I came into Uncharted 4 with massive expectations. I've also played Uncharted 2 and 3 prior to playing this game, but not Uncharted 1.

Ok, major spoilers follow. Do NOT read until you finish the game, or unless you don't care.

Let me just get this out of the way, because I know it has been mentioned a lot already in reviews...Uncharted 4 is extremely repetitive mechanically, to the point where it just leaves a bad taste in your mouth by the middle. Another crate. Another boost. Another thing to lift and move out of the way. Another time that I died because the camera couldn't understand which way I wanted to jump even though I'm pointing my analog stick in what should be the right direction, intuitively.

Things like the grappling hook and the winch get a free pass from me, generally, since they were only introduced in this game. But crates and boosts were used SO OFTEN in The Last of Us already that I can't get over it. It just screams a lack of creative thinking that seems so at odds with what the rest of the game is trying to do.

I was wrestling with the controls throughout the entire game. Gunplay was really floaty, though that's been a staple of the series, and clearly is a design choice, but it feels terrible nonetheless. Especially with how many guys you need to take on in any given encounter, it wouldn't hurt to tone down the recoil a little bit. Then there's the jumping, reaching, and general struggling with getting Nate to go where I actually want him to go, on a regular basis. This becomes magnified when you're in stealth sequences and being able to get where you want is essential to staying hidden in brief moments of opportunity when soldiers aren't looking your way.

This has become a common complaint with me in Uncharted games, really since 2 found the "right" balance, in my opinion, but this game focused too much on traversal puzzles, and not nearly enough on intellectual puzzles. In all of the sequences where I had to figure out the mechanism to progress through an area, especially by using clues I had put together from the environment, or my journal, I was loving the game. Those areas were so much more fun that the jumping, swinging, and climbing traversal puzzles for me. I also wish the game had some more long-term meta puzzles, where you had to go back to notes you otherwise wouldn't have thought were necessary from earlier in the journal. Instead, the answer to any of the journal puzzles is always right on the page you open up to on that current encounter. Give the player a little more credit, we can think long-term, and apply knowledge we found much earlier in the game.

It may seem like a pithy complaint, but the 30 fps frame rate combined with the constant motion blur applied whenever you swerve the camera (which is ALL THE TIME if you're looking for collectibles) make the game look much worse than it would otherwise. I hope to see a 60 fps version of this game in the future.

But, on to the biggest problem for me, which was that I never bought into the relationship between Nate and Elena in this series. I think a lot of that is probably due to never playing Uncharted 1. Starting with Uncharted 2, I was definitely a fan of the dynamic between Chloe and Nate. Their personalities seemed so much more in sync with each other. So, basing this game largely around Nate and Elena's relationship, especially when she is cast in the role of the generic "girl holding back guy who wants to do cool stuff" was very grating.

The entire 3rd act of the game is one long marriage counseling session. Sure, it's counseling with jeep rides, mass murder of PMC's, and discovering lost pirate havens, but...let's just put it this way. When Nate and Elena get to Thomas Tew's mansion, and see the INCREDIBLE scene in his dining room, which clearly has enormous historical significance, and the writers decide that Elena's reaction would be to begrudgingly admit that it's "pretty amazing" because she can't get over her desire to punish Nate even more than she already has, for hours, for ditching her to save his long-lost brother...it was just the last straw. I couldn't help but to hate Elena's character after that point. I found her completely unrelatable after that.

The only thing that could redeem those hours of grating relationship turmoil would be a huge payoff in the end. And, sure, the epilogue WAS THAT, but it didn't make up for the hours of slow, plodding, nagging, nerdy jokes, and generic, generic dialogue between Nate and Elena. Sure, it's a different dynamic, but compare the things Nate and Elena fight over to the philosophical split between Ellie and Joel in The Last of Us, and Uncharted 4 just comes up short in almost every sense for me. At no point was I ever as emotionally moved as I was in multiple scenes in The Last of Us.

In the end, Elena decides that they "over-steered" in their attempt to live a normal life, and they find a balance, but man, the game would've been a lot more enjoyable if they had figured things out somewhere around the half-way point of the game, and just been an awesome tag-team through the last third. Instead, that dynamic apparently only comes about in the years after the end of the climax of the game, and before the epilogue.

I would totally play a new Uncharted game as a grown-up Cassie. I think Troy Baker did an absolutely fantastic job throughout the game as Sam. The Goonies tribute that is the end-sequence of the adventure was incredibly fun in all the right ways. Rafe was a very hateable, yet relatable villain, and the sword fight was an example of a QTE event used in the best way possible. But, it didn't have that wandering through the desert moment from Uncharted 3, or the ice cave with Tenzin in Uncharted 2. And like others said, the best action/chase sequence in the game was already released, in its entirety in videos prior to the game coming out.

In the end, the game did have its moments, for sure. But, I feel Uncharted 4 was overlong, overly repetitive, and not as creative either in story or design as I had hoped. And with all that being said, I still think it's a great game, that everyone should experience in one way or another. I just hope Naughty Dog's next game isn't as frustrating to play.

JTripper

EDIT: I am a big graphics whore and this is by far the most impressive game i have ever played. And yet i feel that there is no point in exploring these locations so i reluctantly move on.

I completely disagree, but I see your point. I didn't particularly care at all that I wasn't facing challenge followed by challenge because I was so enthralled in the locations, visuals and story. The platforming and collectible hunting was, to me, a way to explore the settings and really admire everything in this game that is aesthetic, whether it's a letter or literal view of your surroundings. One of the series' central themes is adventure, and this game just approached that in a slightly altered way and I really appreciated it. I was curious as to what each platforming section would lead to next and when it was a fantastic view, cutscene, collectible, or random conversation, I felt satisfied.

Now, I'm not saying it was all perfect, and I preferred the exploration in TLoU if we're comparing.
I honestly thought the Madagascar jeep chapter was a surprisingly missed opportunity since they could have filled it would SO much more than just the pretty visuals because it was so open. The collectibles seemed pretty few and far between there.

Agreed. I definitely think that Naughty Dog purposely tried to limit the body count for this game but do it in a way that made sense. For me, it was the perfect pacing amount of combat.

Uncharted's shooting mechanics have always been fine, but they're hardly the thing that steals the show. It's always been story for me. I would always get frustrated in the first 3 games trying to get through these crazy encounters just to get another sliver of story.

I'm also shocked at how many people loved the pacing in The Last of Us but dislike it here. The two are very similar to me.

I loved exploring the wide areas and finding notes and journal entries that detailed what
Avery and his men
were going through as well as the notes from
the expedition who went looking for the treasure before

What's happening? Haven't updated yet...

After a cutscene(happened in chapter 17 on me), it goes to the intro screen with drake holding a gun. There's a timer at the bottom and a quit to menu button. It never progresses for me. Some people it apparently does, but after a really long time

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Agreed. I definitely think that Naughty Dog purposely tried to limit the body count for this game but do it in a way that made sense. For me, it was the perfect pacing amount of combat.

Uncharted's shooting mechanics have always been fine, but they're hardly the thing that steals the show. It's always been story for me. I would always get frustrated in the first 3 games trying to get through these crazy encounters just to get another sliver of story.

I'm also shocked at how many people loved the pacing in The Last of Us but dislike it here. The two are very similar to me.

I loved exploring the wide areas and finding notes and journal entries that detailed what
Avery and his men
were going through as well as the notes from
the expedition who went looking for the treasure before

I thought the pacing was fine personally. Some of my favorite parts where the "adventure game" sections where you're just looking around, taking in things from the environment. I had a huge grin on my face during the entire sequence in
Nathan's house.
Top notch stuff right there.

My ranking: U4>U3>U2>GA>U1

U1 is terrible. it was unnecessarily hard and not fun at that. it just threw enemies at you randomly. Where did they come from?

Uncharted 1 has the worst pacing I've ever experienced in a third person shooter. The amount of enemies you face during each encounter in that game is absurd.

The characters and setting save that game for me....but just barely.

So who's going to make the inevitable TLOU vs UC4 thread?

I'm confident in predicting an easy win for The Last of Us.

Alucrid

Banned
But, on to the biggest problem for me, which was that I never bought into the relationship between Nate and Elena in this series. I think a lot of that is probably due to never playing Uncharted 1. Starting with Uncharted 2, I was definitely a fan of the dynamic between Chloe and Nate. Their personalities seemed so much more in sync with each other. So, basing this game largely around Nate and Elena's relationship, especially when she is cast in the role of the generic "girl holding back guy who wants to do cool stuff" was very grating.

The entire 3rd act of the game is one long marriage counseling session. Sure, it's counseling with jeep rides, mass murder of PMC's, and discovering lost pirate havens, but...let's just put it this way. When Nate and Elena get to Thomas Tew's mansion, and see the INCREDIBLE scene in his dining room, which clearly has enormous historical significance, and the writers decide that Elena's reaction would be to begrudgingly admit that it's "pretty amazing" because she can't get over her desire to punish Nate even more than she already has, for hours, for ditching her to save his long-lost brother...it was just the last straw. I couldn't help but to hate Elena's character after that point. I found her completely unrelatable after that.
she's not cast in that light and that's totally not why she's upset

I thought the pacing was fine personally. Some of my favorite parts where the "adventure game" sections where you're just looking around, taking in things from the environment. I had a huge grin on my face during the entire sequence in
Nathan's house.
Top notch stuff right there.

Same.
Nate's house
and the
Epilogue
were the highlights for me. The slower paced adventure sections were great too. From the minute
Elena
came back into the game all the way up until the end, I couldn't put the controller down.

Fair enough, it was an exaggeration due to how frustrating Crushing mode was for me. I was never able to effectively stealth in most sections due to how open each area and going guns blazing was just more effective. I'd say it's more comparable to Witcher 3's combat.

Despite stealth existing as a combat option, I've never felt like the game was designed for you to effectively stealth entire areas, , but more so for you to mix up moments of stealth, movement, fucking up stealth, going to full combat, hiding, combat, stealth and then looping them over.

Top Bottom