• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 4: A Thief's End |OT| You're gonna miss this ass

Late Flag

Just got to Chapter 20, and I am now starting to wonder whether this isn't a one-and-done for me. It's a good game, but right now my head hurts at just the thought of replaying this. I'm finding the exploration / down-time periods boring and tedious at this point even when they're fresh. I'll probably force myself to platinum it because I feel like I need to complete the franchise on my trophy list, but dear lord is this slower-paced than the other three games.

That said, this is also the first time in the franchise where the story is compelling enough that I really want to see how it ends. So there is that.

Ellite25

Just got to Chapter 20, and I am now starting to wonder whether this isn't a one-and-done for me. It's a good game, but right now my head hurts at just the thought of replaying this. I'm finding the exploration / down-time periods boring and tedious at this point even when they're fresh. I'll probably force myself to platinum it because I feel like I need to complete the franchise on my trophy list, but dear lord is this slower-paced than the other three games.

That said, this is also the first time in the franchise where the story is compelling enough that I really want to see how it ends. So there is that.

There definitely is a lot more slower paced sections. I really liked the exploring and navigating sections though. Some of them are certainly very long. Agree with you on the story. IMO it's easily the best in the series and I just kept playing to see what would happen next.

KiraXD

I found it a pain on Hard.

weirdly the
sword fight was the easiest part for me. i was able to counter 80% of the time leading in 0 deaths/restart at that point... im hoping i can do it as well in crushing... definitely not as irritating as Lazarevic fight in 2 lol.

weirdly the
sword fight was the easiest part for me. i was able to counter 80% of the time leading in 0 deaths/restart at that point... im hoping i can do it as well in crushing... definitely not as irritating as Lazarevic fight in 2 lol.
There's a really easy strategy I was unaware of that should make it easier when I get to it on Crushing.

Griss

I held on to hopes that a speedier 2nd playthrough would aid in some of pacing problems I have, but jumping around chapter select last night only highlighted them even more tbh. I can excuse the slower start, but I simply don't like how the 2nd half is structured, more so coming off Chapters 6-11.

The 12-16 stretch is especially awkward IMO. Taken as individual chapters they're slow enough, peppered with these 1 minute spikes in energy comprised of pretty short encounters and the rare set piece. Taken as a whole it's a baffling sequence. These are basically four meaty cooldown chapters (from a gameplay perspective) placed back-to-back in a game that so far wasn't lacking in cooldown. 17-18 improve on this a bit, but it still feels like the game's meandering. It's especially sad because the elevator encounter in Chapter 17 is probably the most inventive encounter in the game, but it isn't escalated whatsoever. As soon as you get through it, the next elevator is used for a Last of Us style over the shoulder cutscene, even ending on a near identical "giraffe scene" framing. 19 is not a good chapter at all- the bombs are terrible, and the funneled shootouts against armored dudes reeks of Uncharted 1. Chapter 20 is ok, the first real sustained action chapter (at least for the first half of it), and it pairs well with 19, I guess. Then 21 is more cooldown (!!!!!!!!!!), but at least feels a like build to something huge, but then 22 is the most grounded finale in the series.

Looking at the praise this game's getting, I can only think that this is the title that really opened my eyes to what others (the majority?) like about Uncharted vs. what I like. I've replayed through most of UC2 at least six or seven times (Chapters 3 to 23 are top notch), the last time being in the HD collection, and that game not only remained as good as it was on day 1, but got better and better as so many games tried to do what it did and fell on their face (including UC3). UC4 is something different. You can absolutely draw a line from TLOU to Left Behind to UC4, so it's not like it completely shocks me, and I can see how quality a product this is, but the whole thing just leaves me flat. While I enjoy the characters, themes, and pirate lore a lot, the game surrounding this narrative doesn't work for me. It has all the hallmarks of a title trying to blow you away on that first playthrough, but I was expecting more than that.

I agree with a lot of this, not just the pacing, but in particular the fact that the
elevator
fight was the best in the game and the game desperately needed more inventive combat scenarios like this, and that Chapter
was just straight-up garbage. Just a shocking chapter.

Ellite25

Having just finished this game today one thing is clear, Naughty Dog is just better than everyone else at making games. There might be some developers with tighter gameplay experiences, but they are unrivaled when it comes to making a complete package. The graphics, the story, the character building, a truly cinematic feel to the game. No games make me feel anything for the characters, but with TLOU and UC4 Naughty Dog has blurred the lines between a "video game" story that serves as a vehicle for gameplay and a fully fleshed out story that could stand alone. They're just masters of the craft. I can hardly put into words just how good they are.

Gray Matter

I don't understand why people glitch/exploit their way to get a platinum trophy.

I only get platinum trophies as an achievement/accomplishment if I really like the game.

That's why I stopped playing TellTale games on PS4! Unnecessarily easy platinums that everyone could get and they're not special by any means.

I only do them when the trophies are ridiculous (like the two I mentioned) otherwise I go at it normally.

neos

I don't know if that's just me, but the beginning of the game felt like a tribute to the beginning of Drake's Fortune, the car hanging with the rope felt like a tribute to Among thieves' beginning, and now i feel like i've missed the tribute to Drake Deception's beginning

TwiztidElf

Chapters 10 and 11......this whole sequence....
- The awesome shootouts in both chapters
- Madagascar 4x4 exploring
- The winch and boulder incident, followed by the bridge
- The village and market
- The clock/bell tower
- The easy but enjoyable puzzle under the clock tower
- The E3 demo section with the shootout and the car down the hill
- Rescuing Sam with the trucks/motorbikes/etc.
- Chased by the military truck
Fucking wow. One of the best paced sequences of gaming ever crafted.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
I was going back to some chapters to grab missing treasures and whatnot, and suddenly all of my statistics have been zeroed except for the 'Treasures and Collectibles' and Miscellaneous sections. That's not supposed to happen... right?

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
I don't know if that's just me, but the beginning of the game felt like a tribute to the beginning of Drake's Fortune, the car hanging with the rope felt like a tribute to Among thieves' beginning, and now i feel like i've missed the tribute to Drake Deception's beginning

Well the (early game)
prison group fight with Sam helping you kinda felt like U3's bar brawl

I was going back to some chapters to grab missing treasures and whatnot, and suddenly all of my statistics have been zeroed except for the 'Treasures and Collectibles' section. That's not supposed to happen... right?
If you Encounter Select, it only shows your stats for that encounter. I assume its the same for Chapter Select. Your overall stats should still be in the main menu.

IJoel

Finished it earlier today and I'm rather conflicted on it. I think if it didn't look as amazing as it does it would've ended up with a 7-8 in ratings. There's really nothing great about the combat. The traversal mechanics lack any challenge for the most part, and it's really really sorely lacking in puzzles.

But, the presentation is so amazing, that it makes the game's flaws not be as glaring as they'd normally be.

I was particularly annoyed at the fight scenes that just gave the illusion of control to the player. Give me a cut scene if I won't have a say in the outcome.

2 is still the best Uncharted for me.

I held on to hopes that a speedier 2nd playthrough would aid in some of pacing problems I have, but jumping around chapter select last night only highlighted them even more tbh. I can excuse the slower start, but I simply don't like how the 2nd half is structured, more so coming off Chapters 6-11.

The 12-16 stretch is especially awkward IMO. Taken as individual chapters they're slow enough, peppered with these 1 minute spikes in energy comprised of pretty short encounters and the rare set piece. Taken as a whole it's a baffling sequence. These are basically four meaty cooldown chapters (from a gameplay perspective) placed back-to-back in a game that so far wasn't lacking in cooldown. 17-18 improve on this a bit, but it still feels like the game's meandering. It's especially sad because the elevator encounter in Chapter 17 is probably the most inventive encounter in the game, but it isn't escalated whatsoever. As soon as you get through it, the next elevator is used for a Last of Us style over the shoulder cutscene, even ending on a near identical "giraffe scene" framing. 19 is not a good chapter at all- the bombs are terrible, and the funneled shootouts against armored dudes reeks of Uncharted 1. Chapter 20 is ok, the first real sustained action chapter (at least for the first half of it), and it pairs well with 19, I guess. Then 21 is more cooldown (!!!!!!!!!!), but at least feels a like build to something huge, but then 22 is the most grounded finale in the series.

Looking at the praise this game's getting, I can only think that this is the title that really opened my eyes to what others (the majority?) like about Uncharted vs. what I like. I've replayed through most of UC2 at least six or seven times (Chapters 3 to 23 are top notch), the last time being in the HD collection, and that game not only remained as good as it was on day 1, but got better and better as so many games tried to do what it did and fell on their face (including UC3). UC4 is something different. You can absolutely draw a line from TLOU to Left Behind to UC4, so it's not like it completely shocks me, and I can see how quality a product this is, but the whole thing just leaves me flat. While I enjoy the characters, themes, and pirate lore a lot, the game surrounding this narrative doesn't work for me. It has all the hallmarks of a title trying to blow you away on that first playthrough, but I was expecting more than that.

Agree with most of this. The 12-16 stretch is bewildering. Replaying 19 now and it's really shitty. I kinda liked the atmosphere the first time, but eh. The best chapters are 11,17 and 18. I like the ship graveyard battle too.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
If you Encounter Select, it only shows your stats for that encounter. I assume its the same for Chapter Select. Your overall stats should still be in the main menu.
I've only used Chapter Select, and I'm showing endless 0s in the main menu -> extras -> statistics.

I started a new save after the main game, so going back to my last one before the credits appears to salvage at least my combat stats up to that point, but I'm losing all non-treasure stats after that.

:(

Kalentan

WARNING: My post will have spoilers and is clearly subjective, personal opinion!

Story

Oh my, I don't know how anyone has the willpower to finish this game. Good for them though.

Strongest part of this series is supposed to be story and characters, so I will focus on this.
Nathan is a very, extremely horrible human being. He lies and cheats on his wife about what he is doing and who he's with. His wife confronts him and then he lies some more. He said he doesn't even care about treasures. HA! Then what are we doing all these times?!?!?!? He said he does all this because his care for his brother. Double HA! OK NATHAN YOU HAVEN'T EVEN TRIED TO LOOK FOR YOUR BROTHER ALL 15 YEARS! YOU JUST LEFT HIM ALL ALONE ALL 15 YEARS! NOW YOU ALL OF A SUDDEN CARE ABOUT HIM AND JUST LEFT YOU WIFE ALL ALONE LIKE THAT?

His wife said to him that if he dies she wouldn't even know what happen. Oh I know what happened. The most satisfying part of this game is when this asshole fell off a cliff.

There is no point to this game. Nathan doesn't care about his wife, doesn't care about his brother, and doesn't care about treasure as he told his wife. Even assholes like Kratos and Joel has a reason to do what they do. Nathan doesn't.

OK ok a druglord wants his brother to find the treasure or he dies. Cliche story much? You think the druglord would let you all live even if you find the treasure? Nevermind such treasure might not even exist? Since the druglord has so much power why doesn't he look for them himself?

I'm so angry at this game right now, the most angry reason is not because of the weak story and characters, but all these characters having no reason doing what they are doing.

Pacing of the game is all over the place as well. one chapter flashback, then the next all of a sudden jump 10 years, then the next 15 years, then flashback again, then jump back to recent again.

Um... To me it sounds like you didn't even beat the game... Are you sure you played it?

I'm currently on Chapter 14 or 15 - not finished yet clearly, but the pacing is really all sorts of wonky to me. I don't know quite what to make of it. I guess I got used to the explosive set pieces from Uncharted 2 and 3, and this game certainly lacks that. In fact, I can only count one real set piece (the E3 demo) and while it was good, it certainly lacked impact because I had already seen it. I'm hoping the game picks up in the next few chapters. I definitely think Uncharted 2 and 3 will be far more easily replayed than this game. I've beaten both of those multiple times and got the platinum for 'em. Pretty sure I beat Uncharted 2 like 6 or 7 times, lol... I can't see myself ever doing that with this game. Who knows, maybe the last 7 or so chapters will blow me away, and I'll take back what I said.

barit

Finally finished it. What an amazing end. What a great series. ND outdone themself with this game. Now I'm sad that the journey is over :(

Hystzen

WARNING: My post will have spoilers and is clearly subjective, personal opinion!

Story

Oh my, I don't know how anyone has the willpower to finish this game. Good for them though.

Strongest part of this series is supposed to be story and characters, so I will focus on this.
Nathan is a very, extremely horrible human being. He lies and cheats on his wife about what he is doing and who he's with. His wife confronts him and then he lies some more. He said he doesn't even care about treasures. HA! Then what are we doing all these times?!?!?!? He said he does all this because his care for his brother. Double HA! OK NATHAN YOU HAVEN'T EVEN TRIED TO LOOK FOR YOUR BROTHER ALL 15 YEARS! YOU JUST LEFT HIM ALL ALONE ALL 15 YEARS! NOW YOU ALL OF A SUDDEN CARE ABOUT HIM AND JUST LEFT YOU WIFE ALL ALONE LIKE THAT?

His wife said to him that if he dies she wouldn't even know what happen. Oh I know what happened. The most satisfying part of this game is when this asshole fell off a cliff.

There is no point to this game. Nathan doesn't care about his wife, doesn't care about his brother, and doesn't care about treasure as he told his wife. Even assholes like Kratos and Joel has a reason to do what they do. Nathan doesn't.

OK ok a druglord wants his brother to find the treasure or he dies. Cliche story much? You think the druglord would let you all live even if you find the treasure? Nevermind such treasure might not even exist? Since the druglord has so much power why doesn't he look for them himself?

I'm so angry at this game right now, the most angry reason is not because of the weak story and characters, but all these characters having no reason doing what they are doing.

Pacing of the game is all over the place as well. one chapter flashback, then the next all of a sudden jump 10 years, then the next 15 years, then flashback again, then jump back to recent again.

Gameplay

Then the series weakest link: the gameplay. Triple HA! I find myself mindlessly pressing x to find the next step to climb on - the game. Considering this game is about be like a monkey and climb things, you would think the climbing/exploring mechanics would be stronger/more fun. There is no challenge/freedom to do these whatsoever. All the pieces you can climb on/jump to are all lay out for you, you can not fail. When the guy reach out his hand, you press X and repeat. You never know where you are going but that's okay, just keep pressing X and the guy will climb to the correct piece of rock. There is no distance testing/trying/trial and error/freedom/exploring gameplay that make platforming gameplay fun here. There is no mastery of the game, no evolving gameplay here. Too many hints telling you where to throw your hook to, a big block too obvious for you to push, rinse and repeat. Devs should not hold the players' hands like this since this is obviously not a kid game.

The Lock to aim assist option is worst. It is an option yes but you offer that why? Should left that as a bonus modifier after you beat the game.

Collecting all these little piece of treasure that Nathan doesn't care about is the worst. Why collect them at all? It doesn't boost your power, health, or ammo. It makes no differences to gameplay if you have 1000 little piece of treasure or none at all.

How fun is driving up a mountain that doesn't like you can drive up at all? Or repeating to pull your car up again and again? No reason to drive the car but the game wants you to drive somehow. Oh but the devs accidentally made the level too big and empty so you have to drive the car/boat. Okay.......

The combat is only part I like, but this is all been there done that before in the series. Nothing done here is anything special. Same to graphics and sound.

Personal rating:
UC4: 4.5/10
UC3: 7/10
UC Vita: 6/10

Warning! Spoilers and subjective personal opinion above!

Either carry on watching your YouTube lets play or don't skim read a plot synopsis as you clearly not played the game as evident with that plot analysis

Your first two paragraphs makes real sense but what you say about Telltale games... That you stopped playing those because they give you easy plats... That's really really weird. It's like you only play games to get trophies...

No, I played them on PC. but one of the reasons is because of the free platinum. Everyone has them!! I don't want to support free platinums.

Just finished it and man, what a ride. Easily the best in the series for my taste. Can't wait to dive back in.

Naughty Dog is absolutely untouchable at the things they do well.

ascully

Is it me or Rafe looks like Jake Gyllenhaal?

rafe reminds me of one of the baldwin brothers, this guy.

alaia-has-also-accompanied-her-dad-to-red-carpet-premieres.jpg

Just finished it and i loved every moment of it. The fact that there's no
supernatural beings
in this game it's what makes it my favorite game in the serious. Also the epilogue opens up opportunities for the franchise in the future.

owlbeak

Just finished it up on Hard. :'] Great game. Beats out UC2 for my favorite in the series. A hell of an experience. I doubt we'll get more game series like this one.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
rafe reminds me of one of the baldwin brothers, this guy.

http://static3.businessinsider.com/image/51a79def69beddf675000000-1200/alaia-has-also-accompanied-her-dad-to-red-carpet-premieres.jpg[/IM G][/QUOTE]

Nah, I don't think Rafe is as much an asshole as this guy (this is the Baldwin that supported GG, right?)

Audioboxer

Finished it. Dem feels. Nice shout out to Amy as well.

Don't know how to wait for the next ND game, but please please please be TLoU2.

Also I don't know what ND feed their staff, but those fucking graphics. Mind blowing.

OK NATHAN YOU HAVEN'T EVEN TRIED TO LOOK FOR YOUR BROTHER ALL 15 YEARS! YOU JUST LEFT HIM ALL ALONE ALL 15 YEARS! NOW YOU ALL OF A SUDDEN CARE ABOUT HIM AND JUST LEFT YOU WIFE ALL ALONE LIKE THAT?

Stopped reading here. Go re-do the early chapters, he literally goes on about the exact opposite of this.

Keihart

Just finished, what a great game and the end chapter is awesome.

My only real complain is that there are no erupting volcanos...

BTW, played it on hard and had lots of fun with the combat, i don't recomend it if you had a hard time on previous games, you have to be very precise and now how to keep moving in some fights to don't get crushed.

I really need a challenge mode in this, without all that glorious melee, MP and even Co-op probably won't be the same .

Philia

Beaten it yesterday and I love it! This is what Tomb Raider was all about before all the new age shit happened. When Angel of Darkness hit, it was a glitchy mess and TR had disappointed me a lot since. The anniversary as well as the '13 Tomb Raider had made a nice comeback, its still not quite the tomb raider I loved without all of those traps like I saw here in Uncharted 4. Its fucking awesome and it made me miss all those traps in the old ps1 games.

Top Bottom