• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 4: A Thief's End |OT| You're gonna miss this ass

mileS

Anyone else think the gun sound effects are amazing? There is a lot of umph to them. Sounds really great on my sound system. Some of the best I've heard in a game.
Sound insanely intense on my Sony gold headset. I have to turn the volume down lower than most games. I do find some natural sounds like running/walking along with general ambient backround noise to be a little low volume and it's starting to annoy me a bit.

I think the soundtrack is understated, but still fucking brilliant.

Nearing the second half of the game you ocassionally get such goddamn epic battle music. I don't know what triggers it but it's incredible.I

Some of the music that plays during some rather 'emotional' moments while riding in the jeep (you know the part), well fuck. It sent shivers down my spine. It was perfect.

I have to take back my early negativity and agree with this.

I still feel it's a bit dopey that my dynamic theme is more like an Uncharted main menu than UC4's. Why couldn't that be the menu? Or something close to it?

I think the soundtrack is understated, but still fucking brilliant.

Nearing the second half of the game you ocassionally get such goddamn epic battle music. I don't know what triggers it but it's incredible.

Some of the music that plays during some rather 'emotional' moments while riding in the jeep (you know the part), well fuck. It sent shivers down my spine. It was perfect.
Yeah, I agree completely. Listening to it on its own earlier was an experience too. Jackman seemed to put a lot more effort in to his Uncharted soundtrack than Civil War's.

blastprocessor

The Amiga Brotherhood
The piton(?) is really underused in the game. It helped make traversing more challenging so surprised it was not used more.

The ending
was lovely and it didn't feel rushed. I thought Sam was a goner for a moment. The epilogue rounded it off nicely and was a surprise possibly leaving things open for a new Uncharted with a young adventurer? I'm going to miss the characters :(

I'd rate the game higher than the previous Uncharted games just because the gameplay mechanics are further along. Well done to ND for creating such an enjoyable series.

Griss

Just beat it. Post-game impressions follow. (no specific spoilers, but I'd hold off if you haven't beat it anyway)

I'm conflicted. Lots to love, but I also had tons of issues with it, and the gameplay loops just hadn't moved on from the first trilogy in the way I'd expected. I had really, really expected them to do something interesting with the platforming. And they didn't. I had really, really expected the game to progress towards more than the classic 'meat grinder' levels. And it didn't. I was expecting all-new enemy types to switch things up. Not there. I thought they'd find something more interesting to do in the more open spaces than 'collect trinkets'. And they didn't. It just wasn't the leap I was expecting other than the 'feel' of controlling Drake and the gunplay, which was much improved. The lack of a moving or interesting soundtrack really hurt it, too.

And I just... didn't like the story that much. I really didn't. It wasn't what I wanted out of an Uncharted game. I mean, the dialogue and acting were incredible. You couldn't fault them one bit. Best in class, best in the industry. But when the gameplay is so, well... 'non-interactive' most of the time and so much of your time is spent watching what might as well be a movie, the story has to fire on all cylinders. And for me, that didn't happen. The tone wasn't what I want out of a game like this, and the seriousness of the personal drama made the classic 'ludo-narrative dissonance' complaint really come to the forefront. I'd talk about all the story stuff more in the spoiler thread, but right now I'm thinking the praise for this game was way over the top.

Rankings right now would be 2>>3>>4>>1. I'm honestly wondering if I preferred Golden Abyss, but I haven't played that one in quite some time, and it was obviously a smaller, less impressive kind of game. But I know I preferred its tone, that's for sure.

And also, is it just me, or did U2 and U3 have far more impressive set-pieces? Or more of them? I don't know, it's been a while. Maybe my memory is playing tricks on me and if I went back to them it would be clear just how much of a leap this one was.

It's very good for what it's trying to be. But I was expecting greatness.

bryanee

Damn this game is so good. There hasn't been a section that I haven't enjoyed and its easily my favourite of the series.

I just did the
ship graveyard
and it was glorious amounts of fun.

Griss

Holy shit, now that I've beat it I checked the trophy list and there's actually a trophy called
Ludonarrative Dissonance.
Fucking LOL, I just used that phrase without irony.

Well played, ND. Well played.

Deku Tree

I feel like you could easily speed run the game on one of the lower difficulty setting in 1-3 hours if you've already played the game once and you skip all the cutscenes.

Deku Tree

Holy shit, the speed run and sharpshooter trophies just got them both at the same time. The glitch works.

Here's a step by step of how to do it if anyone is interested.

http://psnprofiles.com/forums/topic/37481-sharpshooter-trophy-exploit-70-accuracy/unread/

It seems to not always work for everybody based upon my own experience and other reports. I tried doing exactly what several other people had done successfully and nothing worked for me. Never got the chapter select screen to show the later chapters.

I feel like you could easily speed run the game on one of the lower difficulty setting in 1-3 hours if you've already played the game once and you skip all the cutscenes.

No less than 4 hours. even if you sprint your way through enemy encounters. There's a trophy to finish it in 6 hours.

I don't like how the game doesn't amp up in a meaningful way gameplay wise. At its core what you're doing in the first half of the game is what you'll be doing in the latter half. The platforming doesn't change. The shooting barely changes. The puzzles are decent. The "fights" against Nadine are basically just cutscenes with little interaction.

Also, why the hell can't Nathan toss grenades away like he could in 3? It made it too easy I guess? Okay, change it, don't just throw it out.

Holy shit, the speed run and sharpshooter trophies just got them both at the same time. The glitch works.

Here's a step by step of how to do it if anyone is interested.

http://psnprofiles.com/forums/topic/37481-sharpshooter-trophy-exploit-70-accuracy/unread/

I don't understand why people glitch/exploit their way to get a platinum trophy.

I only get platinum trophies as an achievement/accomplishment if I really like the game.

That's why I stopped playing TellTale games on PS4! Unnecessarily easy platinums that everyone could get and they're not special by any means.

CoolCat

This has probably been asked, but can you
Beat Elena in Crash Bandicoot?

Yeah, there's actually a trophy for it.
However, I think its only possible the second time around, since Cassie has a extra life box in her playthrough which nets you a bonus 500 points. So you need a clean run!

something i gotta give props to Uncharted 4 is not having
weird supernatural enemies
introduced near the end. These were always the most annoying sections of the other games, and going through this expecting it to happen in the later half only for it to never come I was happy.

I don't understand why people glitch/exploit their way to get a platinum trophy.

I only get platinum trophies as an achievement/accomplishment if I really like the game.

That's why I stopped playing TellTale games on PS4! Unnecessarily easy platinums that everyone could get and they're not special by any means.

Your first two paragraphs makes real sense but what you say about Telltale games... That you stopped playing those because they give you easy plats... That's really really weird. It's like you only play games to get trophies...

something i gotta give props to Uncharted 4 is not having
weird supernatural enemies
introduced near the end. These were always the most annoying sections of the other games, and going through this expecting it to happen in the later half only for it to never come I was happy.

This!!!
So much this!!
They cut back on it more and more as the game progressed in the series.

LiK

Yeah, there's actually a trophy for it.
However, I think its only possible the second time around, since Cassie has a extra life box in her playthrough which nets you a bonus 500 points. So you need a clean run!

yea, not too hard. i was surprised how easy it was to get, tbh. got it in 2nd try since i accidentally fell off right before last pit.

In case anyone missed it as I'd like to know what I saw was what I think it was.

So I've just completed Chapter 5 and
is it me or did anyone else notice what looked to be an image of a Neogaf post when Nate's brother hands him over a piece of paper?

Just beat it. Post-game impressions follow. (no specific spoilers, but I'd hold off if you haven't beat it anyway)

I'm conflicted. Lots to love, but I also had tons of issues with it, and the gameplay loops just hadn't moved on from the first trilogy in the way I'd expected. I had really, really expected them to do something interesting with the platforming. And they didn't. I had really, really expected the game to progress towards more than the classic 'meat grinder' levels. And it didn't. I was expecting all-new enemy types to switch things up. Not there. I thought they'd find something more interesting to do in the more open spaces than 'collect trinkets'. And they didn't. It just wasn't the leap I was expecting other than the 'feel' of controlling Drake and the gunplay, which was much improved. The lack of a moving or interesting soundtrack really hurt it, too.

And I just... didn't like the story that much. I really didn't. It wasn't what I wanted out of an Uncharted game. I mean, the dialogue and acting were incredible. You couldn't fault them one bit. Best in class, best in the industry. But when the gameplay is so, well... 'non-interactive' most of the time and so much of your time is spent watching what might as well be a movie, the story has to fire on all cylinders. And for me, that didn't happen. The tone wasn't what I want out of a game like this, and the seriousness of the personal drama made the classic 'ludo-narrative dissonance' complaint really come to the forefront. I'd talk about all the story stuff more in the spoiler thread, but right now I'm thinking the praise for this game was way over the top.

Rankings right now would be 2>>3>>4>>1. I'm honestly wondering if I preferred Golden Abyss, but I haven't played that one in quite some time, and it was obviously a smaller, less impressive kind of game. But I know I preferred its tone, that's for sure.

And also, is it just me, or did U2 and U3 have far more impressive set-pieces? Or more of them? I don't know, it's been a while. Maybe my memory is playing tricks on me and if I went back to them it would be clear just how much of a leap this one was.

It's very good for what it's trying to be. But I was expecting greatness.

just reached chapter 17, & so much this. &, no, it's not just you: u2 & u3 definitely have far more impressive set-pieces. i'm still waiting for that one defining 'omg!' moment in this game... tho, at this point, i'm not really expecting to ever see it :) ...

edit: & naughty dog? please patch in an option to play the series' theme song during the opening menu. it's presence is sorely (& completely unnecessarily) missed :( ...

SMG

At some point every single game, film, novel and TV show has a 'The main character was dead from this point on' fan theory. So I want to toss out UC4's Nathan dies after hitting his head after Sam jumps in front of the bullet.

LiK

i wonder how many Easter Egg videos on YT will know about the GAF ones. they sorta need to be in the know to even understand it.

I feel much more invested in the treasure hunt this time around due to the visual storytelling and lower rate of firefights. When the game gives Nate time to breath you're reminded he's a treasure hunter and not just an action hero out of a Michael Bay movie.

Deku Tree

Crushing can be cheesed easily using the in game cheats, everything except the final boss fight... Well maybe even the final boss fight from what I've read.

murgo

Phew.. Crushing really was crushing this time around. No cheesing.
Avery's mansion, the ship graveyard shootout and the final boss fight really kicked my ass.
It took me 18,5h to finish it on Hard and almost as much on Crushing even though I spent almost no time sightseeing.

It was fun, but I'm damn glad I never have to do this again. I look forward to playing it again on Easy.. should be a breeze.

KiraXD

Phew.. Crushing really was crushing this time around. No cheesing.
Avery's mansion, the ship graveyard shootout and the final boss fight really kicked my ass.
It took me 18,5h to finish it on Hard and almost as much on Crushing even though I spent almost no time sightseeing.

It was fun, but I'm damn glad I never have to do this again. I look forward to playing it again on Easy.. should be a breeze.

ha... im not looking forward to my crushing... i yelled "Fuck" a lot during hard... i can only imagine crushing. but its the price i pay for getting platinum of my favorite series...

just reached chapter 17, & so much this. &, no, it's not just you: u2 & u3 definitely have far more impressive set-pieces. i'm still waiting for that one defining 'omg!' moment in this game... tho, at this point, i'm not really expecting to ever see it :) ...

edit: & naughty dog? please patch in an option to play the series' theme song during the opening menu. it's presence is sorely (& completely unnecessarily) missed :( ...

The only setpiece that's really impressive is the E3 demo. 1 or 2 more setpieces on that level would be nice.

murgo

ha... im not looking forward to my crushing... i yelled "Fuck" a lot during hard... i can only imagine crushing. but its the price i pay for getting platinum of my favorite series...

I really hope my neighbours weren't at home today. I yelled quite a lot and beat my couch to a pulp everytime I died after making good progress :D

If my girlfriend had been here this weekend she would've thrown me out xD

Sjefen

3 hours in and need to go to bed, but how the fuck am I supposed to quit playing, this game is amazing.....

ku-xlarge.gif

I held on to hopes that a speedier 2nd playthrough would aid in some of pacing problems I have, but jumping around chapter select last night only highlighted them even more tbh. I can excuse the slower start, but I simply don't like how the 2nd half is structured, more so coming off Chapters 6-11.

The 12-16 stretch is especially awkward IMO. Taken as individual chapters they're slow enough, peppered with these 1 minute spikes in energy comprised of pretty short encounters and the rare set piece. Taken as a whole it's a baffling sequence. These are basically four meaty cooldown chapters (from a gameplay perspective) placed back-to-back in a game that so far wasn't lacking in cooldown. 17-18 improve on this a bit, but it still feels like the game's meandering. It's especially sad because the elevator encounter in Chapter 17 is probably the most inventive encounter in the game, but it isn't escalated whatsoever. As soon as you get through it, the next elevator is used for a Last of Us style over the shoulder cutscene, even ending on a near identical "giraffe scene" framing. 19 is not a good chapter at all- the bombs are terrible, and the funneled shootouts against armored dudes reeks of Uncharted 1. Chapter 20 is ok, the first real sustained action chapter (at least for the first half of it), and it pairs well with 19, I guess. Then 21 is more cooldown (!!!!!!!!!!), but at least feels a like build to something huge, but then 22 is the most grounded finale in the series.

Looking at the praise this game's getting, I can only think that this is the title that really opened my eyes to what others (the majority?) like about Uncharted vs. what I like. I've replayed through most of UC2 at least six or seven times (Chapters 3 to 23 are top notch), the last time being in the HD collection, and that game not only remained as good as it was on day 1, but got better and better as so many games tried to do what it did and fell on their face (including UC3). UC4 is something different. You can absolutely draw a line from TLOU to Left Behind to UC4, so it's not like it completely shocks me, and I can see how quality a product this is, but the whole thing just leaves me flat. While I enjoy the characters, themes, and pirate lore a lot, the game surrounding this narrative doesn't work for me. It has all the hallmarks of a title trying to blow you away on that first playthrough, but I was expecting more than that.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
I was just going through the trophy list and noticed they have a
trophy homage to the E3 stage demo fail, wow
. That's awesome.

Just skimming through, but this looks like the toughest Uncharted to platinum, don't think I'll bother with it right away.

I'm at chapter 12 now, should be halfway. The
tank chase was amazing as a demo, but it's even better if you get to play it yourself.
Best part of the game so far. Still think it's the weakest of the series so far, but hopefully the second half will blow me away.

neohwa

WARNING: My post will have spoilers and is clearly subjective, personal opinion!

Story

Oh my, I don't know how anyone has the willpower to finish this game. Good for them though.

Strongest part of this series is supposed to be story and characters, so I will focus on this.
Nathan is a very, extremely horrible human being. He lies and cheats on his wife about what he is doing and who he's with. His wife confronts him and then he lies some more. He said he doesn't even care about treasures. HA! Then what are we doing all these times?!?!?!? He said he does all this because his care for his brother. Double HA! OK NATHAN YOU HAVEN'T EVEN TRIED TO LOOK FOR YOUR BROTHER ALL 15 YEARS! YOU JUST LEFT HIM ALL ALONE ALL 15 YEARS! NOW YOU ALL OF A SUDDEN CARE ABOUT HIM AND JUST LEFT YOU WIFE ALL ALONE LIKE THAT?

His wife said to him that if he dies she wouldn't even know what happen. Oh I know what happened. The most satisfying part of this game is when this asshole fell off a cliff.

There is no point to this game. Nathan doesn't care about his wife, doesn't care about his brother, and doesn't care about treasure as he told his wife. Even assholes like Kratos and Joel has a reason to do what they do. Nathan doesn't.

OK ok a druglord wants his brother to find the treasure or he dies. Cliche story much? You think the druglord would let you all live even if you find the treasure? Nevermind such treasure might not even exist? Since the druglord has so much power why doesn't he look for them himself?

I'm so angry at this game right now, the most angry reason is not because of the weak story and characters, but all these characters having no reason doing what they are doing.

Pacing of the game is all over the place as well. one chapter flashback, then the next all of a sudden jump 10 years, then the next 15 years, then flashback again, then jump back to recent again.

Gameplay

Then the series weakest link: the gameplay. Triple HA! I find myself mindlessly pressing x to find the next step to climb on - the game. Considering this game is about be like a monkey and climb things, you would think the climbing/exploring mechanics would be stronger/more fun. There is no challenge/freedom to do these whatsoever. All the pieces you can climb on/jump to are all lay out for you, you can not fail. When the guy reach out his hand, you press X and repeat. You never know where you are going but that's okay, just keep pressing X and the guy will climb to the correct piece of rock. There is no distance testing/trying/trial and error/freedom/exploring gameplay that make platforming gameplay fun here. There is no mastery of the game, no evolving gameplay here. Too many hints telling you where to throw your hook to, a big block too obvious for you to push, rinse and repeat. Devs should not hold the players' hands like this since this is obviously not a kid game.

The Lock to aim assist option is worst. It is an option yes but you offer that why? Should left that as a bonus modifier after you beat the game.

Collecting all these little piece of treasure that Nathan doesn't care about is the worst. Why collect them at all? It doesn't boost your power, health, or ammo. It makes no differences to gameplay if you have 1000 little piece of treasure or none at all.

How fun is driving up a mountain that doesn't like you can drive up at all? Or repeating to pull your car up again and again? No reason to drive the car but the game wants you to drive somehow. Oh but the devs accidentally made the level too big and empty so you have to drive the car/boat. Okay.......

The combat is only part I like, but this is all been there done that before in the series. Nothing done here is anything special. Same to graphics and sound.

Personal rating:
UC4: 4.5/10
UC3: 7/10
UC Vita: 6/10

Warning! Spoilers and subjective personal opinion above!

I don't have anyone else to talk to about this game at this point so I need to just vent about an event in Chapter 22.

FUCK THIS SWORD FIGHT

I feel a little better now.

Top Bottom