• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 4: A Thief's End |OT| You're gonna miss this ass

Chapter 13 is my least favorite in the game. The beginning section is tedious and while I know what they were going for, it had no impact on me.

14 has so many things to look at and interact with and the detail is so absurd that I enjoyed it a lot.

The game does lull a bit to me from 13-16 with 17 giving it a much needed kick in the ass. From then on its full steam ahead.

The 2nd act and the pacing within is my main criticism of the game. It feels padded out and like they needed to get more combat in.

Lima

Wrong. Pretty much every review from critics and gamers praised the gunplay.

The multiplayer communities pretty much prove you are wrong, the shooting mechanics are so good that people were willing to go back to them even without story and character development.

Uh you will find many gamers on this forum trashing the gunplay in Uncharted 1-3 and as I said there is more to a great shooter than gunplay.

We will just have to agree to disagree then but there is nothing wrong with what I said. It is an opinion, it can't be wrong.

Finished the game a couple of days ago. Really enjoyed it, but i'm on the same boat with all the people wanting a bit more enemy encounters. The pirate treasure storyline was really interesting and Rafe made for such an awesome antagonist. More memorable than all the previous ones in the series for sure.

The gunplay in the multiplayer felt a lot better to me than the single player stuff. I know one is 60fps and the other is 30fps, but I think it has to do with the reticle being always visible. Don't know if anyone else had this problem, but I would pop up from cover to have the reticle appear way above the enemy's head in the single player. Really nitpicking here, but overall enjoyed the experience. Going to try and platinum it.

zsynqx

Finished the game a couple of days ago. Really enjoyed it, but i'm on the same boat with all the people wanting a bit more enemy encounters. The pirate treasure storyline was really interesting and Rafe made for such an awesome antagonist. More memorable than all the previous ones in series for sure.

The gunplay in the multiplayer felt a lot better to me than the single player stuff. I know one is 60fps and the other is 30fps, but I think it has to do with the reticle being always visible. Don't know if anyone else had this problem, but I would pop up from cover to have the reticle appear way above the enemy's head in the single player. Really nitpicking here, but overall enjoyed the experience. Going to try and platinum it.

Guns had way more recoil in the campaign as well.

dalin80

Banned
Now the ending has had a little time to settle my negs of an otherwise 9/10 game-

A few too many convenient creates ready to drop off ledges.
Barely any music?
Couple of crashes.
No charlie cutter :(
Nadine seems to be a character there just to be a token badass girl? She felt quite wasted in the story and not as essential as she should have been. Her character could almost have been replaced by any generic merc type.
End encounter was shit.
Hey look an awesome pirate ship! Wouldn't that be fun to explore? No, no you have 10s of looking around before getting suck into the bullshit boss encounter.
No fat/pirate/skeleton Drake skins?
Can't dual wield Flintlocks.

All in all it is an excellent game, I just dont really want to replay it which is odd for me as I'm usually quite happy to throw in the Uncharted collection and relive the good times.

How long are you playing before you quit? I chose an encounter, killed a few enemies then backed out.

That's what I did, the first thing I do is pick an encounter (not chapter select) and kill a few, and see that my ratio is up. But when I exit the encounter it goes back to its original ratio.

Like everything resets for that specific encounter, but reverts back to the original stats when I quit out.

Strictly

My biggest problem with the game (which i nevertheless thoroughly enjoyed) was that the action didn't get to a sustained point.
In their goal of diversifying the game with exploration and story fleshing, they succumbed to interrupting the pace of the action. Whenever the story got to a point where my heart could start to race they quickly slowed it down again and threw in endless walking and exploration.

There was never a moment where i felt i needed to take a breather because of the intensity. The grave yard sequence and the Madagascar chase got the closest, but again the scenarios were buried amidst action-interrupting banality.

My biggest gripe is that at no point did i feel the same excitement i did with U2's train and U3's plane sequences. Why? Not because the individual action sequences were poor - as the Graveyard was phenomenal - but because there was such a slow build, so much endless platforming, that the crescendo fell flat.

I dread having to replay that whole island hopping sequence on my replay. What were they thinking there?

xorx

Banned
I actually really liked the
last encounter with Rafe. Maybe because it reminded me of Chivalry: Medieval Warfare. Even though the two dont have the same mechanics at all.

JTripper

Playing on the hardest difficulty usually exposes some of the design flaws in a lot of games but with this game Crushing is actually forcing me to make the most use of my surroundings during encounters and I'm actually forming strategies around each encounter. It's making me appreciate the open design of this game even more.

I actually really liked the
last encounter with Rafe. Maybe because it reminded me of Chivalry: Medieval Warfare. Even though the two dont have the same mechanics at all.

I also thought it was pretty cool. It wasn't really difficult, but I can see why some people hated it.
The escape after the ship continues to blow up plus the music that is playing made it a pretty epic end.
Speaking of music, more like lack there of, this entry in the series had the weakest score. I was kind of surprised how little of it there was considering how amazing the OST for the Last of Us was.

That's what I did, the first thing I do is pick an encounter (not chapter select) and kill a few, and see that my ratio is up. But when I exit the encounter it goes back to its original ratio.

Like everything resets for that specific encounter, but reverts back to the original stats when I quit out.

Hmm, weird. Maybe try playing to the end of the encounter? There's another more long winded method on PS Trophies, but I haven't tried it.

Just beat it on the second to hardest difficulty, first playthrough.

As someone who recently was acquainted for the first time with the series with the PS4 remaster and still has all games fresh in his head I gotta say that Uncharted 2 was the most spectacular in design, but Uncharted 4 was the better, and more personal, story. All of the flashback sequences were fantastic.

Kind of hard to put them in the timeline though considering how different Nate looked
in Cartagena in age
in UC3 compared to the bits in UC4 so I can try and pinpoint
if he left Sam at some point to go to Cartagena and met with Sully

Fantastic performance by everyone involved. Setpieces weren't as necessary in this game with a story that strong.

Playing on the hardest difficulty usually exposes some of the design flaws in a lot of games but with this game Crushing is actually forcing me to make the most use of my surroundings during encounters and I'm actually forming strategies around each encounter. It's making me appreciate the open design of this game even more.

Yeah, it's probably hard to go back to the others now. Mechanically, this is a much better game.

Been watching some gameplay videos on YouTube and man, ND has done it again. Attention to the smallest of details both ingame and during cutscenes. Just looks amazing overall. This developer keeps impressing.

Didn't do crushing yet, but hard did this for me too.

VRMN

Finished the game this morning. I really liked it a lot, even the slow parts in the beginning. Part of this is because I actually like the slow moving, world/character building puzzle/exploration segments more than I have ever liked the combat in UC. And, man, I felt that stuff was the best it's ever been in this series. They did better at hiding some of the climbing linearity, the puzzles were more varied than I feel they've been in the past, and for all the stupidity about improbable crate placement, I feel that was a minor low point in a game full of high points.

I really liked the combat in this one more than I have any of the UC games in the past. Maybe that's because the game did more to encourage you to move around and use your traversal abilities in combat than I feel they did in the earlier games, even if that was always the intent. It was easy in the older games in the series to just hole up behind some cover and take everyone out that way and I feel they made that a less viable option in this game. At the very least, they made running around, knocking fools upside the head, jumping on them from above, and knocking them off cliffs more accessible than I had found those maneuvers in the past. I might have died more often than I would have liked, but I never really gave it up except in close quarters where it did me no good to rush in like an idiot.

The final boss encounter did bother me a lot. From a story and thematic standpoint that encounter really worked, but it seriously bothers me when games use final bosses to introduce brand new gameplay mechanics. Definitely better than the alternative way to do this same fight, but...it really rubbed me the wrong way and was actually kind of annoyingly difficult to pick up to boot.

The story was a real high point for me, though, and outweighs all the negatives I might have about pacing or crates. I feel Nate, and Sam, and Elena, and even to some degree Sully were really fleshed out in a way that I don't think the other entries in the series even came close to attaining. I actually gave a crap about Sam and I didn't think they would even come close to getting there. Same with Elena and Nate's relationship: I felt invested when I really had not been in past entries. They've always had chemistry, but this made me care about their life together in a way I did not at the end of UC3. The epilogue was the absolute best way I could have envisioned to end Nate's journey, as well. I just feel it was masterfully done and a great conclusion to an amazing franchise.

They added just enough stealth to this to make it incredibly frustrating that they didn't go just a little further. It really feels just about pointless to try stealth on crushing without the ability to throw a rock as a distraction or something. It just winds up being a "sit around and wait for the enemies to all not be looking, which practically never happens" situation.

Hoo-doo

Banned
People suffering through crushing, have you considered using the snap-to aiming mechanic? It's a feature that is offered as an accessibility thing I believe.

I just used it with a few encounters after beating the game last night and holy shit it decimates enemies. I'm probably going to do another entire playthrough like this because it's also immensely satisfying.

dralla

Does anyone recognize the
cities from the Orphanage and where Drake and Elena live/work
in the early chapters? or are they fictional?

New Orleans. Says so on some documents in the attic.

People suffering through crushing, have you considered using the snap-to aiming mechanic? It's a feature that is offered as an accessibility thing I believe.

I just used it with a few encounters after beating the game last night and holy shit it decimates enemies. I'm probably going to do another entire playthrough like this because it's also immensely satisfying.

I messed around with the lock on earlier. It's actually pretty fun. The only problem I have with it is it locks on when you blind fire. If it didn't do that I'd have no problem playing through the whole game with it on, on subsequent playthroughs

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
Madagascar is probably my favourite location of any game ever
I'm taking it slow, doing one section a day for a few hours and I'm loving every minute of it.

Revven

That's the beauty of this game, really.

Yeah, it's probably hard to go back to the others now. Mechanically, this is a much better game.

The older games you could very much do the same thing, it encouraged the same type of playstyle. It's just way, way more subtle because some arenas are smaller than others and the biggest arenas aren't anywhere close to as big as the ones in UC4.

And, well, there was some risk involved with the old games but the reward is huge if you don't sit behind cover all day and make use of the environment instead.

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
Haven't read this OT whatsoever so I'm not sure what the concensus on the game is, but as a fan of the series, on Chapter 10 of Uncharted 4, well....

I'm kinda bored.

I don't conpletely understand why I feel this way. My main complaints are the really slow pace of the game so far. So much damn sight seeing, so much climbing, not enough action, and really just a sad lack of set-pieces. It's like I need a powerful adrenaline rush to counter-act all the sleepy character moments, but it never really arrives. I do appreciate the more somber, character driven tone at times, but the downside to it all is that I don't feel like I'm having as much fun.

Of course, there's been a few select moments of greatness, but I feel like they're too far and few in between to carry the weight of the rest of the game. I'm at the point where when I see a big cliff, I almost roll my eyes and think to myself "Oh boy, here's another long ass auto-platforming section". Just bizarre.

Maybe this has to do with playing the Uncharted Collection in the weeks leading up to this release, maybe I'm burned out. I dunno. Just not feeling it as much as I hoped I would. Can you guys help me make any sense out of this?

Haven't read this OT whatsoever so I'm not sure what the concensus on the game is, but as a fan of the series, on Chapter 10 of Uncharted 4, well....

I'm kinda bored.

I don't conpletely understand why I feel this way. My main complaints are the really slow pace of the game so far. So much damn sight seeing, so much climbing, not enough action, and really just a sad lack of set-pieces. It's like I need a powerful adrenaline rush to counter-act all the sleepy character moments, but it never really arrives. I do appreciate the more somber, character driven tone at times, but the downside to it all is that I don't feel like I'm having as much fun.

Of course, there's been a few select moments of greatness, but I feel like they're too far and few in between to carry the weight of the rest of the game. I'm at the point where when I see a big cliff, I almost roll my eyes and think to myself "Oh boy, here's another long ass auto-platforming section". Just bizarre.

Maybe this has to do with playing the Uncharted Collection in the weeks leading up to this release, maybe I'm burned out. I dunno. Just not feeling it as much as I hoped I would. Can you guys help me make any sense out of this?

sounds like you're the opposite of me where I prefer the climbing/platforming and dread the shooting arenas.

The game gets more action packed as you keep going though.

dralla

I'm kinda bored.

The game is much longer then the previous games and it's paced much differently, aka slower. There's less action and more exploration/traversal. The early chapters specifically are all about setting up the narrative for the rest of the game. The game is more grounded and less over the top. There's a lot of TLOU in UC4. If you play UC only for the over the top action you might be disappointed with 4. Things definitely pick up in chapter 10 though. The benefit to the structure of UC4 (IMO) is a much better payoff in terms of narrative.

CoolCat

Finished Uncharted 4 a couple of days ago so I've had some time to process it all. As a gamer who has played them all since 07' this is my take.

I've seen some complaints about the game in terms of pacing, soundtrack and gunfire, but I fail to see the arguments people make for them.
Well, perhaps the soundtrack part may be correct, I've never payed too much attention to the soundtracks in the series overall, I know its good, really good, but people who listen to the game soundtracks regularly definitely have more knowledge and more to say than me.

My biggest complaints would be that the new, large worlds, can be a bit confusing to navigate and I caught myself running in circles a couple of times wondering where the opening or next ledge was. U4 also seemed a bit harder than the previous entries, however that could be attributed to ND's design choices, as they seemingly wanted the player to be on the move and not hunkering behind the same piece of cover for the entirety of the encounter. Also agree, with the complaints that the black-white health bar really should be ditched, such a pretty world and graphics, why desaturate and hide it like that!

Complaints about pacing seem kinda off to me.
First of all, if you can't bear the idea of playing through 10-15 minutes of calmer moments which contain crucial story-building moments (and not pure filler), there something wrong with you not the game. Also, I don't think the slowdown from chapter 15 was so much a mistake as it was a conscious design choice. In part to set the tone and deal with Nate's and Elena's issues (which were kind of unresolved since U3 to be honest) and in part to give long lasting fans a throwback to U1, and mirroring the end of the series against the beginning of the series with Nate and Elena, also; Nate + Elena - Jetski = best parts of any Uncharted game. Period.

Gunfire and Combat was the best throughout the entire series, and ND even went trough the effort of giving players the option of aim-assist, something which should alleviate the problems some newcomers may have to the franchise in terms of combat mechanics. Very satisfying gunplay, hand to hand was as stable as its ever been and the biggest gripe fans had with the series, stealth, was completely revamped with TLoU in mind and delivered a vastly greater experience.

The game is downright brilliant, flawless and once again a true testament to Naughty Dog as the top studio in the business of this very moment. U4 hits top marks on all aspects on all cylinders.
Hands the best down looking console game, with a sublime art direction and bar raising technical solutions. By far the most open and vertical Uncharted game to date, with in-game (in-engine!) cutscenes that start to blur into Pixar territory.
Soundtrack was great, the voice acting as always best in class, and the sound design robust (not DICE levels though, but still top in the industry).

The Story in this game was the best in the entire series, the characters were deeper and they actually nailed the theme of
"Family and friends or fortune and adventure" and growing up
that U3 set out to do this time around. The experience from The Last of Us was evident, as one of my biggest gripes with the Uncharted series (I'm a story first kind of gamer) was the fact that the earlier entries often lacked nuanced and meaningful story moments in terms of character progression until only the last quarter of the game, sometimes even only at the final cutscene. Just look at the different level of storytelling compared between U3 and U4:
the tension and exchanges between the characters in U4 and the games willingness to "go there" in terms of difficult themes permeated through dialogue and cutscenes, especially from the mid-point and chapter 11. Compare that to the scene in U3 when Nate meets up Elena post the Ship-sinking level. Not that U3 was bad in any way, it's just on a whole different level honestly.

Dialogue, facial animations and cutscenes were better than ever. In any game of any kind. Ever. The camera angles and shot composition alone were crossing into movie-perfection. And once again, ND drew experience from TLoU.
Nate and Elena in chapter 4 is hands down one of the greatest scenes in gaming history I can remember: natural, funny, adorable, displaying range of emotion while still keeping the characters we've seen over the last decade true to themselves. Not to mention the "Easter Egg", anyone who's remotely a Playstation-fan would go nuts (which I did, can't even remember when a game last hade me grinning that much that long).

As for the ending;
absolutely freaking perfect.
I cannot stress how
good that
ending was, especially for a fan that's been with this series since its inception.
As much as ND drew experience from TLoU to make Uncharted 4 great, they also knew where to draw the line between what makes an Uncharted game, well.. Uncharted. Thus giving the best of both worlds; engrossing storytelling and characters without getting rid of the humour and light heartedness that makes an Uncharted game. Sam making up for lost (adventure)time, with Sully. Elena and Nate finding the balance they so sought between doing what they love and staying together. And that final scene of Nate rambling on about the beginning of U1 with Cassie as Elena looked on with the photo. It just made me happy man, like sincerely happy. Looking back at all the years I'd spent with these characters and watching their journey, that was the perfect send off, absolutely perfect.

The meta-theme throughout U4 was very beautiful,
as our beloved heroes grew older and moved on
, the theme obviously also referred to ND as studio. Come to think of it, Naughty Dog has created so many great games, so many great memories, and they still deliver. Not only that but heir games just keep getting better and better. Crash to Crash Team Racing, U1 to TLoU to U4. Better and better across the board. Hands down the most consistent studio in the game. Just crazy how similarly great studios from my childhood have just...disappeared throughout the years. Squaresoft, Sega, Lionhead, Konami and Kojima, Irrational, Team ICO and so many others. Kinda makes me treasure ND even more as a developer and the passion they have.

Thank you Naughty Dog, can't wait to see what you have planned next.
What a time to be a gamer. What a time.

cb1115

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016

I'm kinda bored.

it's definitely a different vibe throughout but i really appreciated the pace considering how action-heavy the first three games became (2 and 3 both started out kinda slow though).

i'll also say that the game gets better and better as you go, and you're right at the point where it ramps up a bit. just maybe not in the "keep throwing more and more enemies at you" kind of way.

Hystzen

Started my crushing playthrough no exploit for me :p

Also weird how much Rafe sounds like Vergil from DMC3. Sam looks like Luke Perry and Nate now looks even more like Nathan Fillion as he got older

Hoo-doo

Banned
I think the soundtrack is understated, but still fucking brilliant.

Nearing the second half of the game you ocassionally get such goddamn epic battle music. I don't know what triggers it but it's incredible.

Some of the music that plays during some rather 'emotional' moments while riding in the jeep (you know the part), well fuck. It sent shivers down my spine. It was perfect.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
I'm sure this has been discussed but if you stealthily take out the dude taking pictures at one part, the other enemy still poses for pictures.

Top Bottom