• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 4: A Thief's End |OT| You're gonna miss this ass

Philippo

Chapter 10

228.gif

Jesus this game keeps getting better and better.
Shame that a lot of treasures and trophies (
like the one with the little stone towers
) are easily missable.

All of the callbacks to the previous games that I've noticed:

UC1:
-
Opening boat shootout and subsequent Panamanian jail (as referenced in UDF's intro)
-
Heading up river in a vehicle with Elena as a passenger
-
Flooded city
-
Wetsuit Drake prying open a crate from the bottom of the water with a crowbar
-
Angel statues brandishing swords in New Devon similar to the one Drake's parachute catches once they crash over the island
-
Opening prison tower traversal similar to the fortess complete with jail cells

UC2:
-
Madagascar towers similar to Nepal temples
-
Scotland pyrate cave trials similar to ice cave and gears
-
Madagascar market area similar to Tenzin's village (also similar to 3)
-
Turret truck menace is like the tank menace
-
Various building collapses
-
Truck chase towards screen

UC3:
-
kid Drake stuff
-
an old woman whose estate is filled with treasure and who's also into pyrate treasure happens to know Drake's past better than he does (it's so Dickensian)
-
The New Devon mansions are similar in condition and design as the chateau in France
-
opening melee brawl(s)
-
dressed in a suit to pull off a heist/scam
-
boat chase in a storm

I'm sure there are more I forgot or missed or didn't include because they were straight up references
(chapter 4!)
but I found these fun to reflect on.

Kule

Not a fan of the fight with
rafe
and I did that on crushing without modifiers but missed the trophy. Really couldn't be bothered doing it legit again, so for fun I cheesed it with slow-motion and it's incredibly hilarious. On the lowest difficulty you even get prompts when to attack with square.

Just finished, what a great game and the end chapter is awesome.

My only real complain is that there are no erupting volcanos...

BTW, played it on hard and had lots of fun with the combat, i don't recomend it if you had a hard time on previous games, you have to be very precise and now how to keep moving in some fights to don't get crushed.

I really need a challenge mode in this, without all that glorious melee, MP and even Co-op probably won't be the same .

I think hard is pretty easy as long as you keep moving. There is a difficulty spike around ~18 though.

Spoo

Just finished the game. Really liked it! I do think that this kind of gameplay though is starting to get stale for me -- I love the characters, the more grounded story, the visuals, and more open feel, but I think I'm officially done with games that feature climbing / "stand on box" traversal. It just feels old to me at this point, even though Uncharted 4 does it better than basically any other game.

I'd still mark it a solid 9/10, but the combat / traversal mechanics drop a point for me :\

Just finished the game. Wow. Naughty Dog nailed it out of the park. This really was a great send off for the series if it's the end, although I hope it isn't. I think UC2 is still the best action game of the series, but UC4 is by far the best adventure. I think I may go and pick up the Drake Collection now just to replay them all.

Still processing the whole experience, but UC2 = UC4 > UC3 > TLOU > UC1 for all post-PS2 Naughty Dog games.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
As someone who (boss spoiler)
fenced
through middle school and high school right until I started college, I was impressed with the animation of that particular scene. I thought the motions themselves were exaggerated as one could expect from a) a game and b) the emotion of the scene being what it was, but some moves were very familiar (particularly the lunge).

I thought it was pretty easy, but the game basically asks you to do what my coach used to do all the time in make decisions between 3, 4, and 5 position parries repeatedly. I actually really liked it.

Roussow

I'll go ahead and defend the final encounter in the game [end game spoilers here]
I feel like that boss worked more than it didn't because it tasked you with really paying attention to Rafe's animation, it used arguably the strongest facet of Uncharted 4 and made it the crux of it's final boss. It reminded me a lot of Ryse: Son of Rome's combat executions, if you really wanted to get the most out of it, you had to analyse how the opponent was attacking, and respond with the correct input -- at least to achieve higher rankings. This probably just sounds like I'm explaining the definition of a quick time event, but the level of polish on the actual sword fighting contributed greatly to the fight, it felt way more involved than 'look for the X prompt'.

The Lamp

I just wanted to pop in here to remind the single-player folks to try the multiplayer. It is so damn good omg. Really just feels like the single-player scaled to 8-10 humans.

Going back through the campaign again this week too, lol.

fenced
through middle school and high school right until I started college, I was impressed with the animation of that particular scene. I thought the motions themselves were exaggerated as one could expect from a) a game and b) the emotion of the scene being what it was, but some moves were very familiar (particularly the lunge).

I thought it was pretty easy, but the game basically asks you to do what my coach used to do all the time in make decisions between 3, 4, and 5 position parries repeatedly. I actually really liked it.

The back spin slicy thing he does always ruined me. I'm still not sure if it's a left block or a right block. I think the game finally just took pity on me and let me finish.

Vitor711

Played through the game 3 times, didn't experience this once on my launch unit. Considering how much this game has been put through the ringer in terms of performance analysis, this seems like an anomaly.

Weird - I have a launch unit too Wondering if I need to dust it out or something. Those FPS drops I experienced in the last few chapters were rough.

Beat it a few hours ago.
My impressions of the game ahead:
I'm going to miss this series. I loved this game and it's easily my GOTY so far. I really enjoyed the story more than the previous games and the gameplay is better than ever. I didn't want the game to end but I'm glad the series is being sent off on such a high note.

Also, I'm a huge fan of small details and this game is full of them. I was constantly impressed by how much effort they put into this game. Nate and Elena's house is easily the most realistic home I've seen in a game, it truly felt lived in. Also the small physical and facial expressions of all the characters really brings out their personalities and thoughts, an amazing level of detail I haven't seen in a game before. I could go on and on but overall I was extremely impressed.
Uncharted 4 is a masterpiece, thank you Naughty Dog for this beautiful game.

JTripper

All of the callbacks to the previous games that I've noticed:

UC1:
-
Opening boat shootout and subsequent Panamanian jail (as referenced in UDF's intro)
-
Heading up river in a vehicle with Elena as a passenger
-
Flooded city
-
Wetsuit Drake prying open a crate from the bottom of the water with a crowbar
-
Angel statues brandishing swords in New Devon similar to the one Drake's parachute catches once they crash over the island
-
Opening prison tower traversal similar to the fortess complete with jail cells

UC2:
-
Madagascar towers similar to Nepal temples
-
Scotland pyrate cave trials similar to ice cave and gears
-
Madagascar market area similar to Tenzin's village (also similar to 3)
-
Turret truck menace is like the tank menace
-
Various building collapses
-
Truck chase towards screen

UC3:
-
kid Drake stuff
-
an old woman whose estate is filled with treasure and who's also into pyrate treasure happens to know Drake's past better than he does (it's so Dickensian)
-
The New Devon mansions are similar in condition and design as the chateau in France
-
opening melee brawl(s)
-
dressed in a suit to pull off a heist/scam
-
boat chase in a storm

I'm sure there are more I forgot or missed or didn't include because they were straight up references
(chapter 4!)
but I found these fun to reflect on.

Nice observations. I thought the brief moment in the
madagascar jeep chapter when it falls over the cliff while attached to the winch and Drake hangs below it as a callback to U2's intro.

LiK

fenced

I challenge you to a duel.

Javin98

Banned
Just beat the game on Hard yesterday and it is easily the best game I've ever played. A perfect 10/10 for me. Everything is just stellar. The gameplay, story, visuals, characters and length were perfect. The only thing previous games did better is the soundtrack. I think I might replay this again sooner than expected, but so far the multiplayer is incredible.

Also, I liked the final encounter. However, it took me about a dozen tries to nail down. It's nice to introduce new mechanics, but they are totally new to me that I needed to get the hang of it.

Nice observations. I thought the brief moment in the
madagascar jeep chapter when it falls over the cliff while attached to the winch and Drake hangs below it as a callback to U2's intro.

that bit was so LOL wtf. Loved it. Especially with
scully and sam also in the truck

the game does have all these bits of wtf wow bits
(that bit tower collapsing after the sam/nate capture by rafe) is ridiculous. However they designed it, it came out of the blue and
was totally astonishing

Just beat the game on Crushing. What an amazing ending. I'm glad that
they left it open for more games. I had heard about how this was going to be the last game in the franchise, but it's pretty obvious they left it wide open for the franchise to go in many different directions, whether it be Sam and Sully's adventures, or even Cassie's

The final battle was a shit sandwich, but I'm glad I slugged through it.

Some of those encounters at the end were absolute nuts on Crushing. Worst in the game was in the next to last chapter or so when you're trying to make it to the beach, shortly after you come out of the caverns
with all the exploding mummies
. You have almost no ammo, and it's just a neverending barrage of shit, including 2 heavily armored machine gunners and those fast runners that take 2 Barok hits. 90% of the time I would just run out of ammo after the first 3-4 enemies and still be taking fire from like 8 different dudes with no way to refill ammo without getting killed, and all the cover is destructible so you can't even turtle and wait for an opening.

Similar thing happened when you're
trying to get the jeep up the elevator while Elena is inside it.
Just not enough ammo and eventually you have no way to even do any damage to the remaining enemies while they tear you apart.

Ellite25

Interesting how
there is nothing supernatural about this game at all. They joke about "ghost pirates" but nothing strange/abnormal ever happens. Guess they wanted to move away from that.

Interesting how
there is nothing supernatural about this game at all. They joke about "ghost pirates" but nothing strange/abnormal ever happens. Guess they wanted to move away from that.
I think having ghost pirates would have cheapened the story of Avery and the other pirates. The notes you pick up along the way would have less effect because you can just chalk it up to supernatural shenanigans.

Ellite25

I think having ghost pirates would have cheapened the story of Avery and the other pirates. The notes you pick up along the way would have less effect because you can just chalk it up to supernatural shenanigans.

I agree.
I think it's the best story out of all the games and didn't miss the supernatural stuff at all. I really enjoyed reading all of the notes along the way that told the story of the pirates. Normally I don't like reading that stuff either.

If we're doing this...

UC2 > UC1 > UC4 > UC3 > TLOU

As far as me putting UC1 over 4, it's because I like the more light-hearted tone and pacing and thought 4 had a lot of bloat. Personal opinion.

Frillen

Ending boss

Congratulations ND on making one of the worst boss fights off all time, and surely the worst last boss of all time. Like what the hell were they thinking!? ND just suck at making boss fights in general, they can't make a decent one even if they had a gun to their head.

Portugeezer

Ending boss

Congratulations ND on making one of the worst boss fights off all time, and surely the worst last boss of all time. Like what the hell were they thinking!? ND just suck at making boss fights in general, they can't make a decent one even if they had a gun to their head.
At first I was like, this is some Dark Souls stuff, but then it dragged on, and the camera would sway to odd angles which made judging his swings more difficult. Nathan's role was also way to passive considering we know what he is capable of.

I guess it's about the journey... I had more of a problem how he turned Nadine's men against her, then thought she would just be okay with him... it was pretty stupid.

Ending boss

I loved it. Like, I loved it. It was a wonderful way to end the game.

It even had multiple checkpoints throughout. No complaints whatsoever from me.

nib95

Banned
Ending boss

What was so bad about it? It was in an amazing setting, that was fitting with respect to the context of their environment and the story, intertwined with excellent animations, character delivery and building, narrative poignancy and also some simple but effective timing based counter style combat. I thought it was great, and once you learn to analyse the animations effectively, you basically become a boss at blocking everything and pulling off some cool looking moves. Hell it took me enough tries on crushing, but by the end I honestly felt I had the timings and telegraphy down to a tee.

Stormus

Just finished it in slightly under 14 hours. Great game with minor flaws. It's still the best of the series. As previously mentioned UC4>UC2>>UC3>>>>UC1.

What I would like to see next
:
I think a spin-off game/expansion with Sam and Sully getting into mischief would be fantastic. Honestly, I think Sam is a more interesting character than Nate, and they could go a lot of different ways with him.

Oh and also what happened with
Nadine? Obviously she's alive, but they seemed to have left her whereabouts open ended.

Ellite25

Ending boss

Honestly I have no issue with it whatsoever. I don't know what there is to hate about it.

Wollan

Bullet time is really fun to play with! Sounds get muffled and slow and the obscene detail of all the animation, lighting and physics gets extra highlighted.

I am playing on Crushing and I'm breezing through the encounters in the early chapters so far. I'm guessing the gruesomely hard parts that will come later will be significantly easier with the bonus add-ons activated.

If I start a new game aiming to get the 6 hour trophy and the accuracy trophy in one go, do I need to choose the option to clear my statistics? Will my previous game's accuracy affect my new game's accuracy?

Mik2121

Did anyone else feel bad when they rushed through a level? So much detail in every level, I felt bad for the devs lol.
Nope! Though, to be honest I don't think I rushed any level. I spent so much time on each :p
Maybe the only level I wasn't a big fan of was the ending part of the prison where the 3 are running from the guards. Not that it was bad, obviously, but not as impressive as the stuff that came later.

Top Bottom