• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 4: A Thief's End |OT| You're gonna miss this ass

Made it to chapter 11. Absolutely loving the game. Everything about this game is better than previous Uncharted's (except perhaps the slashing of combat encounters). I love everything in between the combat, since the platforming is hugely improved, there are tons of puzzles from small environmental ones to get treasure to the grander stuff, and the treasure hunt story is by far the most engaging mystery of the series, and of course the combat itseld is AMAZING, like best combat I've ever played in a shooter honestly. But I think I agree with people saying that more combat would add sustained tension and flow to the game and greatly benefit replays. But we'll see how I feel once I finish, and probably after I replay as well.

4 uncharted games. 2 tomb raider games.

what's with obnoxious army dude and his/her hired goons. how fucking original.

I will give this game 7 max. tried waaay too hard to be last of us which made it less fun like the usual uncharted. some of the chapters were real snooze fest.walking sim indeed.

Yup.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I think it's different people complaining. Just the same as those who thought there was too much shoot bang before, but are happier now that there's more exploration and exposition in UC4, and vice versa for those that actually want more gunfights.

Could also be different tastes on what actual aspect of the supernatural bugged them. Instead of the mere existence it could be more that the enemies in 2/3 were frankly pretty annoying to actually fight.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Yeah, it's finicky. Got it though with this method.

1. Delete game data and all saves except your clear save and your profile.
2. Install game.
3. Don't install patch. Pause download.
4. Play Prologue on Crushing. Make new save. Ram 3-4 boats to trigger the auto save.
5. Quit out to main menu.
6. Chapter Select, Epilogue.
7. Beat game. Get trophy pops for crushing and speed run.
8. Patch the game. This needs to be done because encounter select isn't in version 1.00.
9. Fight enough dudes in any encounter to trigger an autosave, aim for 100% accuracy, but whatever, just get 70%.
10. Select Epilogue.
11. Beat game. Get trophy pop for sharpshooter.

So you don't need to play til ch1 huh? That'll save some time

VRMN

My only complaint with the ending.
I think Sam got off too easy. He lied and put everyone's life at risk and no one seemed to mind. Everyone forgave him too quickly.

It's not entirely clear what Sully's relationship to Sam was before the events of this game, but the relevant one is Drake. And you are more apt to forgive family. That and they've all been up to their eyeballs in seriously shady dealings throughout the series.

Could also be different tastes on what actual aspect of the supernatural bugged them. Instead of the mere existence it could be more that the enemies in 2/3 were frankly pretty annoying to actually fight.

Pretty sure that's what it actually was for some. I really hated the
skull dudes at the end of 3.

Ascenion

Pretty sure that's what it actually was for some. I really hated the
skull dudes at the end of 3.

I never got this opinion. Those guys were super easy to handle even on crushing. I mean the game literally threw the proper weapons at you. There were Tau Snipers and Hammers everywhere and they died in 3 shots.

The influence of the Last of Us is way overstated. There has been plenty of drama and quiet moments in Uncharted before, it was just never mopey like TLOU. The missteps of 3 if anything are what influenced this game (grounding the story after the needlessly mysteruous story of 3 with little payoff, toning down the gratuitous set pieces, intensifying the drama to make the climax feel less empty, etc.)

Made it to chapter 11. Absolutely loving the game. Everything about this game is better than previous Uncharted's (except perhaps the slashing of combat encounters). I love everything in between the combat, since the platforming is hugely improved, there are tons of puzzles from small environmental ones to get treasure to the grander stuff, and the treasure hunt story is by far the most engaging mystery of the series, and of course the combat itseld is AMAZING, like best combat I've ever played in a shooter honestly. But I think I agree with people saying that more combat would add sustained tension and flow to the game and greatly benefit replays. But we'll see how I feel once I finish, and probably after I replay as well.

I'm waiting for you to get to the later parts of the game because aside from the set pieces, some of the quiet moments. Man, really just beautiful moments.

I never got this opinion. Those guys were super easy to handle even on crushing. I mean the game literally threw the proper weapons at you. There were Tau Snipers and Hammers everywhere and they died in 3 shots.

I like to move around a lot and they mow you down quick if you try to do that. I admit the game does give you the proper tools to deal with them, but that's not the way I wanted to play.

RefigeKru

Banned
A shame to see people down on the quieter moments in the game. I'd honestly compare U4 to Half Life 2 in terms of pacing but I found the world mesmerising to play through and was emotionally invested from the beginning.

LiK

A shame to see people down on the quieter moments in the game. I'd honestly compare U4 to Half Life 2 in terms of pacing but I found the world mesmerising to play through and was emotionally invested from the beginning.

i loved it all. refreshing.

So, what does everyone think the eventual coop mode will entail?

I'm hoping that ND creates new encounters specifically for coop. Maybe incorporate a little side story starring Chloe and Cutter.

I think it's different people complaining. Just the same as those who thought there was too much shoot bang before, but are happier now that there's more exploration and exposition in UC4, and vice versa for those that actually want more gunfights.

Pretty much. Can't satisfy everybody.

Harmen

So to my big surprise in my hard replay I found two optional encounters in chapter 10, both of which I hadn't seen in my first playtrough.

Yeah, Im kinda interested in how you feel about the game, cuz all my other niggas(Net_Wrecker, Papercuts, Xtornitionst) was like "its pretty...but this shit wack smh"

Ascenion

I like to move around a lot and they mow you down quick if you try to do that. I admit the game does give you the proper tools to deal with them, but that's not the way I wanted to play.

I can understand that. They were not about letting you move at all, you absolutely had to stay in cover.

The influence of the Last of Us is way overstated. There has been plenty of drama and quiet moments in Uncharted before, it was just never mopey like TLOU. The missteps of 3 if anything are what influenced this game.

There are 7 entire chapters where there is no combat period. None whatsoever. I'm fine with quiet moments, but 7 entire chapters with nothing? That's not cool. That's boring as hell. Especially from a series known for cinematic action and relatively decent pacing.

Gorillaz

I think once I got to like chapter 14 I was like "yea I'll replay this but no way in hell will I do it again within the next few days". I liked alot of it as a full package but redoing alot of this? not right away.

I think lately tho that is more of a "ND games in general" thing for me because I felt the same way after TLOU.

edit: TLOU influence in terms of pacing was all through this. Yea they were 2nd guessing them selves setpiece wise after UC3 but the entire flow of this game felt like it was affected by the shadow of TLOU.

Jumeira

Banned
This game is a masterpiece. ND are blowing my mind with how much detail they've put into the characters and the world.

Shooting is far, far better than previous Uncharted games, scenarios are grander and the chase is more thrilling because of it.

Could be one of the best games of all time for me.

UC4 gives you absolutely no reason to explore its environments other than for lame trinket treasures and boring journal entries. So most of the slower paced moments in the story just fall sort of flat.

I can't believe I'm saying this, but I think I would prefer some sort of Rise of the Tomb Raider upgrade system here. That game is pure garbage, but AT LEAST it encourages the player to scavenge the environment for supplies and usable materials. I wouldn't mind collecting stuff to craft bigger ammo and grenade pouches. It would at least make the platforming/walking sections a lot less boring.

valkyre

What do you guys think about the foliage in Uncharted 4? Were would you rate it in comparison to other games that excel in that department?

Yeah, Im kinda interested in how you feel about the game, cuz all my other niggas(Net_Wrecker, Papercuts, Xtornitionst) was like "its pretty...but this shit wack smh"

How did you feel about the scene in which they find the
pirates dinner table? Man, it really hit me when Drake apologized to Elena for being really excited about the find.(She hasn't seen him this excited since forever probably). I really love chapters 17-20 all because of the dynamics between her and Drake in these quiet moments. It's weird that these stood out to me more and it's what I keep thinking about after I finished the game. Moreso than the action/set pieces.

Harmen

when UC 2+3 came out, one of the very vocal and central complaints was the
supernatural elements
. so this sudden backflip is quite amusing whenever I read it.

People HATED it.

Different people.

It is the same with the whole "walking simulator" thing. I love games like Firewatch and Gone Home, and think UC4 has some great quiet stretches that gave me a similar vibe. And for me the gameplay mechanics are fluid and fun enough, so I am still enjoying the climbing in my second playtrough. I don't care that most of that is quite easy.

If you look at older UC threads, you will see people complaining there is way too much shooting and that they would like a lot more adventure aspects. People have different tastes, and it is fine they are dissapointed in UC4. But that doesn't mean UC4 is inherently bad, it just strays away from the usual UC pacing/formula in a few notable ways. And that is bound to be divise amongst fans.

Spinluck

unpopular opinion: the soundtrack is top notch.

that segment in the beginning of the game was madd trippy...am I the only one who thinks this?

I'm there with you.

The sense of desperation I get listening to the central theme is something the other UC games didn't capture. The only good stuff from those are like 2-3 tunes and Nate's Theme. Kind of the case here, but I don't think the soundtrack is shit like some are saying.

UC4 also gave us much better combat music which I welcome. Rope melee killing someone around the corner with those strings and drums going off in the background is too dope.

A little more on the game itself:

I'm really sad that the series just now discovered this heavily cinematic style of gameplay mixed in with exploration that is actually exposition in disguise. It's more TLoU in style as far as the storytelling goes, but the gameplay is still very much UC imo.

I like that there weren't countless waves of enemies, and that combat was less forced in this one. Exploration was somewhat barren at times, but I enjoyed the site seeing and just admiring the visuals and charger interactions. I can understand if some people find that to be boring, but I don't think more combat and less traversal would fix it much.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive

HL2 got plenty of complaints about the vehicle parts, so there's that. That being said the problem with the slower moments in these games, is typically they are filled with platforming of sorts and the platforming in this game is basically on rails.

just beat the game today and I like it a lot. It's slower paced than the last entries but I didn't mind it that much. The ending was fantastic and brought up the feels really well.

nib95

Banned
UC4 gives you absolutely no reason to explore its environments other than for lame trinket treasures and boring journal entries. So most of the slower paced moments in the story just fall sort of flat.

The treasures are beautifully designed and unique, the journal entries, notes etc really interesting, often adding great back story, and the environments so stunning they're incentive in themselves. In other words, I strongly disagree.

To be honest, Uncharted has always been what you described in your old quote. Just now more to an extreme than before.

It's okay, it's tough following up the best game in a decade. :)

Yeah sure, UC1 especially went crazy with that arena design, but UC2 actually had a lot of smaller encounters to keep the pacing relatively high. It was a much less extreme game than this. UC4 kind of does what I'm talking about in Chapter 8 for a little while, you'll actually find these smaller groups of 3-8 guys just standing around and it keeps you on your toes. Beyond Chapter 11 though, the pace is all about extremes with the "action" part of that dynamic being incredibly short, and the downtime lasting way longer than it ever has without adding much worthwhile to the formula. The only engaging platforming sequence comes when you're like 98% through the game.

Nahhhh, "wack" is too harsh. UC3 is wack. UC4 a million times better than that game, but still....

Emwitus

i think people forgot the quiet moments in 2. Tenzins village

Endo Punk

Few points about characters, chapters and encounters.

- Holy shit the Nadine & Sam v Nadine fight. So good, what a bad ass.
- The young drakes chapter in the mansion was prob my fav chapter in the game, and discovery about their mother and how they took up the Drake name, I was so hooked on what was happening I don't think I blinked.
- The fencing fight with Rafe was so satisfying, I was afraid it would there would be no encounter with him and it would relegated to a cutscene. Best final fight in the franchise.
- Epilogue legit got me teary eyed. Rest Nate you deserve the normal life.

Javin98

Banned
What do you guys think about the foliage in Uncharted 4? Were would you rate it in comparison to other games that excel in that department?
I actually think the foliage in Uncharted 4 are one of the best, if not, the best I've seen in games. It easily rivals The Witcher 3 in density and pop in is very minor to non existent. Foliage interaction is also pretty great.

How did you feel about the scene in which they find the
pirates dinner table? Man, it really hit me when Drake apologized to Elena for being really excited about the find.(She hasn't seen him this excited since forever probably). I really love chapters 17-20 all because of the dynamics between her and Drake in these quiet moments. It's weird that these stood out to me more and it's what I keep thinking about after I finished the game. Moreso than the action/set pieces.

I agree with you, and I thought Ch.17-20 were the highlight of the game because of that dynamic. They've come so far from UC1

and UC4 for comparison

ooof that stings

and you too, you big hater <3

Finished over the weekend. I found Uncharted 4 to be more fun to watch than play, mainly because I got really bored with all the traversal elements. It got so repetitive, which is weird because I had no problem with it in the first three games.

It is, however, a technical achievement. I don't think anyone comes close to pushing a system like Naughty Dog.

Finalow

I'm saying you calling me some lame ass camper is bullshit. I've beaten every game on crushing including u4. you telling me how to play based off a hard playthrough doesn't mean anything. You cant camp on crushing on any of the games (well besides the first one barely). Enemies will flush you out so trying to call me out with that weak shit is bullshit.
Lol, you might want to stop ranting and read that again. I wasn't referring to you or anyone in particular with that statement, just throwing out my opinion regarding some of the (good) changes they made in what was discussed.

Finished the game today.

Hadn't played an Uncharted game before. Although some might say how bad of an idea it is to play the final installment first I think the story self-contained enough for me to enjoy it. I had a few problems with the combat at times but I was able to come to grips with the shooting(not using auto-aim) and mobility of Drake's pretty easily. The downtime in between action made up for a large part of my enjoyment of the game as you get to witness the sheer beauty of what's before you in the locations. The lore of the treasure was haunting to dive into but it added a nice layer to the game. Overall a solid adventure tale that was worth the price.

HL2 got plenty of complaints about the vehicle parts, so there's that. That being said the problem with the slower moments in these games, is typically they are filled with platforming of sorts and the platforming in this game is basically on rails.

I disagree so hard with the complaints about the platforming in this game. Yeah it's easy and you're not timing jumps to avoid pitfalls and going on moving platforms and shit, but so far they've done a really excellent job of making each traversal section really distinct and essentially being little puzzles that complicate the core mechanics in different ways. Like you might go for a rope swing and be unable to reach the ledge you think you have to get to, but then you realize you have to slide down further and swing *under* a broken wall to reach a previously unseen path.

for all of UC3's horrendous failings, at least the game hit its stride with the shipyard. I can't say UC4 ever really gets into gear.

UC4 makes me appreciate things in UC3 that I took for granted, how about that shit

image.php

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
I disagree so hard with the complaints about the platforming in this game. Yeah it's easy and you're not timing jumps to avoid pitfalls and going on moving platforms and shit, but so far they've done a really excellent job of making each traversal section really distinct and essentially being little puzzles that complicate the core mechanics in different ways. Like you might go for a rope swing and be unable to reach the ledge you think you have to get to, but then you realize you have to slide down further and swing *under* a broken wall to reach a previously unseen path.

Agree to disagree then, because you just point a direction and mash x. While yes I do like the rop mechanic, it's all super easy. I'm confused how people can fail those jump parts... why would you jump if he's not reaching? he reaches when you have a point you can grab, if you're dying there you're just rushing.

It's all essentially automated. It always has been so I really don't mind. I think it would be better if you were getting chased or rushed more often while doing, because then the stuff you talk about with not realizing to go or executing the timing right MIGHT be an issue as it has been with various different set pieces over the years. That being said the majority of the "slow parts" people are complaining about in this game are parts where you're not rushed, so again I don't really see how you could fail the platforming barring a glitch or being super impatient and mashing the button even moreso than usual.

Top Bottom