• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 4: A Thief's End |OT| You're gonna miss this ass

Spinluck

Last night I had a dream that instead of the ending we got, it was just nate, Elena, sully and Sam looking over a world map while looking back at all of his adventures around the globe. That right imo, was a better than
the cliche happily ever after ending we got.

No

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
UC3 at least is better than the first game.

While I liked uc3 there definitely was something off about it. Even in the collection with the "fixed" gunplay I saved a bunch of video clips with crazy issues with hit detection such as invisible walls, or bullets just not landing for some reason. On top of that a lot of the major set-pieces were very "me too!" such as the horses on the convoy vs. the original convoy set piece. It has some truly great moments, but it's not on the same level as 2 for a lot of different reasons- the treasure doesn't seem as great, the lost world definitely isn't as great, the villains are nowhere near as menacing or threatening as Lazaravich.

1 for me is a damn good first effort. It really set a new bar when it came out at least for me it did. I liked the gunplay better in 1, even though some would say it's the weakest in the series, again it lacks those strange hit detection issues. I also think context is important. 3 was trying to follow up the king of the genre and it didn't quite make it.

It is better than 2.

Drakes outfit in the desert with that scarf is so badass. Set pieces are cooler as well. And while it has a shitty bossfight (a trademark of this series) it is not as bad as 2.

Naughty Dog, add this skin to the single player bonuses PLEASE. (Fortune Drake and Among Thieves Drake too)

In this discussions I can't really put people opinions in numbers like, you're saying:

U1 = 6
U2 = 10
U3 = 6.5
U4 = 7

??

Or

U1 = 8
U2 = 10
U3 = 9
U4 = 9

??

Or

U1 = 4
U2 = 10
U3 = 5
U4 = 5

??

It's so difficult to measure with just exclamations...

Tutomos

I feel they went from Indian Jones to Davinci Code for this game. Which is to say that there are people who enjoy both, but there are also people who just enjoy just one of them or don't enjoy them all at.

The Davinci Code comparison wasn't entirely correct because it isn't an origins story and it isn't a series finale. It also has no wave of enemies. That's why I think Uncharted 4 didn't go all the way and it's kinda stuck in the middle. It really should have little to no combat, and the feel of the game should be more suspenseful. The mystery should be more intriguing like they are in Dan Brown's novels.

But then I realize that ND can't really totally go in the opposite direction with this established franchise. That's why I'm very excited to see what they can do in their next game.

Unknown?

I definitely like this one better than the rest but I don't know if I like it better than TLOU... I think it may be a tie.

Working on my second play through. First one I used lots of stealth, in this play through I am just going guns blazing.

Xtortionist going too far now. You're gonna regret these posts in a few weeks. UC3 was a mess, singleplayer and multiplayer.

UC3 is a big fat mess. A vocalist tripping on stage mess. A mess that you can laugh at.

UC4 is a surreptitious mess. A silver tongued devil that lures you into a false sense of security with it's dashing good looks, then stabs you in the back when you start to question the nature of your relationship with it. Only then, after you lie there bloody and defeated, does it all become clear.

A shame to see people down on the quieter moments in the game. I'd honestly compare U4 to Half Life 2 in terms of pacing but I found the world mesmerising to play through and was emotionally invested from the beginning.

I really liked them, but felt they were too frequent, and that most of them were not substantial enough (or not substantial enough in the right ways) to be the main draw. Traversal, puzzles and exploration are all great in 4, and way better than before (and for honest-to-god exploration, a new thing for the series). Entering late game locations and being able to walk around and soak in the details made it feel like I was actually finding something hidden for a long time, with its own history. Everywhere had a real sense of place that made simply being in them enjoyable.

That said, I was hurting for action at times, which is nuts for an Uncharted game. The shootouts are fantastic here, especially in the wider, intricate arenas, and I would've actually liked to have more enemies pour in on some locations (outposts in the middle chapters, for one). Don't know if those downtime segments will still have an effect on replaying them.

Combat is annoying because enemies frequently spawn behind Drake, shooting feels bad because enemies hardly react to bullets, the first third of the game is basically on-rails, and enemies frequently rush you down to promote melee, which can screw you because the grab escape button is also the roll button.

All that being said, UC3 has significantly longer stretches of time where I actually feel like I'm doing something compared to UC4. Barring the desert, everything post ship graveyard is pretty high octane.

Maybe I didn't have to deal with those frustrations cause I played it on normal way back in 2011... If I remember right, I remember UC3 getting going a lot quicker than UC4 but I'll have to wait until I replay. I do remember thinking the ship section was just mindblowing though. The plane also although less so. UC4 the only moment I said "holy crap" was the car chase (and the amazing graphics of course).

Spinluck

In this discussions I can't really put people opinions in numbers like, you're saying:

U1 = 6
U2 = 10
U3 = 6.5
U4 = 7

??

Or

U1 = 8
U2 = 10
U3 = 9
U4 = 9

??

Or

U1 = 4
U2 = 10
U3 = 5
U4 = 5

??

I still don't see what makes UC2 that much better than the others.

I honestly think it released at the perfect time. Right around the PS3 price drop and slim remodel. It had that corny Kevin Butler commercial, and Chloe's butt clearly being shaded to draw attention. It also had JJ Abrams drooling on it and whatnot.

It's a good game and all, but I feel like the other games have segments that are better or even just as good. Each of them have their low points, and for me that was 2/3rds through UC2.

Edit: Exclude the first one. Feels like a dinosaur in comparison.

None of the bonuses or options like auto-aim lock the trophies (if you've updated the game to 1.03), so go nuts.

I just beat it on crushing, using infinite ammo and I unlocked the rocket launcher and one of the pistols. Never unlocked the trophy for crushing.

Not sure why.

Finalow

Crushing is hard as fuck later in the game, if you can beat the shipwreck yard, the section after avery's grave, the gauntlet before the shipwreck grave, or the room in Avery's mansion when you're trying to get through the blocked door on crushing by run and gunning then please post a video.
if you can beat those encounters by staying behind the same cover then please post a video. ?? I never wrote ''you're able to finish those sections by run and gunning alone'', just that the game encourages you to move around and be more active, which is usually the best way to deal with enemies.

Setting the bar high
we can go higher and mention golden abyss*
still, people might forget that UC3 isn't even the worst game in the series.

*actually, I never played golden abyss.

Ascenion

U1 = 6
U2 = 10
U3 = 6.5
U4 = 7

??

Or

U1 = 8
U2 = 10
U3 = 9
U4 = 9

??

Or

U1 = 4
U2 = 10
U3 = 5
U4 = 5

??

If you want my opinion (Note these scores are in comparison simply to one another):
U1 = 8
U2 = 10
U3 = 8.5
U4 = 8

U1 is a fantastic game love it every time I play it. U2 is ND's most complete work imo. I can't really find a flaw with it and the fact that TLOU comes so close to it's perfection first try gives me hope for whatever they do with that. U3's biggest mistake is one Hennig openly admitted to in the like making of videos. They went into it set piece first story second and damn if it doesn't show. U3 has the best set pieces of the series, but wow is the story incoherent. Ramses doesn't even make sense. Really he just doesn't. U4 has the second best story telling and the best feeling gameplay. It lacks the set pieces and it lacks a bit of the fun and it honestly shits the bed pacing wise against U2 so it's on par with U1.

I honestly think it released at the perfect time. Right around the PS3 price drop and slim remodel. It had that corny Kevin Butler commercial, and Chloe's butt clearly being shaded to draw attention. It also had JJ Abrams drooling on it and whatnot.

It's a good game and all, but I feel like the other games have segments that are better or even just as good. Each of them have their low points, and for me that was 2/3rds through UC2.

To me 4 i easily the best one, but I understand people prefering 2 instead. WhyI don't understand if they think this game is great or shit, well... The mayority seem to feel like the game is fantastic, that's what I gather.

Sharpeye

U4 is definitely the best Uncharted game, but I feel U2 had a bigger impact on not only gamers but the gaming industry as a whole.

jett

D-Member
uncharted 3 and it's marketing team gave us this

dkoma.jpg

so it can't be all that bad

It also had a contest for the girls at America's Next Top Model to design a taunt animation.

tumblr_mb6b7pIoIj1qgajhoo1_500.gif

Why, exactly, I have no idea.

If I haaad to put them in numbers:

1 - 7
2 - 10
3 - 8
GA - 6
4 - 8

Even that's reductive though. Plus I need to play 4 more than once to get a better handle on it. Could be higher, could be lower.

Griss

Huh, Crushing is unlocked for me despite my first playthrough being on normal. Is that right? Thought I'd have to move to hard next.

And can you use 'Bonuses' on crushing and still get the trophy?

Enjoying this
cel-shaded
rendermode. It's awesome.

Wow chapters 10 and 11 were fantastic.

The game needed way more setpieces like Chapter 11. That was the highpoint of the whole thing for me. It needed better puzzles and bigger set-pieces. Strange that after all these years the game was downscaled in those departments. Especially since the setpieces were what the game was known for.

LiK

Huh, Crushing is unlocked for me despite my first playthrough being on normal. Is that right? Thought I'd have to move to hard next.

Enjoying this
cel-shaded

Yes, it should be fine.

I feel like the soundtrack would have benefited having more instruments that felt native to the area. A more keltic sound for Scottland, a drum focused sound for Madagascar etc. Instead it's all largely the same nondescript symphonic treatment. I mean it's fine, but I'd be hard pressed to remember anything in particular.

That would've went a long way. Shit is just bland man. I can see why it works for some, but eh.

Finalow

There's throwing out an opinion and then theres making an open call out and saying anyone criticising the design changes to encounters must be a camper and should play on easy.

thats weak dude
I was gonna copy-paste it myself but you did it for me, thanks.
with that being quoted, I really can't see how it's an ''open call out saying anyone criticising the encounters must play on easy'' because it isn't, hence the ''read that again'' part. my point was about the changes they made (e.g. having no grenade throwback, enemies flanking you more etc.) which encourage the player to move around more, instead of camping behind the same cover. if you want to do that (>camping), there's easy mode. was that really hard to grasp
but be my guest and stay in your raving ''yooo that dude just called me out wth'' fantasies, I guess.

Diebuster

Enjoying this
cel-shaded

Crushing is unlocked from the very beginning. The bonuses don't disable trophies.

2 has the most, and best, designed encounters. Each fight in that game feels distinct in some way where it's evident thought was put into the layout and placement of enemies. You get shootouts while holding onto signs high above a street, multi-sniper dual w/RPGs mixed in, shootouts while in the back of moving trucks, shootouts in an overturned and overrun train car, shootout while climbing a tower, shootouts while descending a tower, etc. And that's all in normal gameplay.

4's open arenas are generally well designed, and the various improvements to combat overall kind of mean it doesn't need those really linear, hand-crafted encounters considering how every outcome is fun. Sneaking through is engaging enough to be fun/challenging, combat is good, being able to actually lose enemies is great, and so forth. It just needed far more of these. People flipped their lids about Eurogamer's "walking simulator," article, and while that term for those types of games might be derogatory, 4 really does feel like Firewatch at times. Firewatch is dope, but it doesn't present some really fun combat, then goes back to wandering through the forest for a few chapters straight.

It also had a contest for the girls at America's Next Top Model to design a taunt animation.

tumblr_mb6b7pIoIj1qgajhoo1_500.gif

Why, exactly, I have no idea.

holy shit, I never knew why it was called that

Can we talk about the driving in this game?

Cuz it's damn gud.

I feel like they've turned the weakest part of these games into some of the best. UC1 especially had the weirdest driving sequences, they were OK.

But man in this game I LOVE the driving model, it's awesome!

Now we doing numbers?

UC1: 8/10
UC2: 9/10
UC3: 8/10
TLoU: 10/10
UC4: 10/10

I am similar to this scoring

UC1 8.5/10
UC2 9.5/10
UC3 8/10
TLOU 10/10
UC4 10/10

In terms of my favourites it goes UC4 > TLOU > UC2 = UC1 > UC3

I think UC4 is their magnum opus (I'm kewl now) all things said. Can't wait to see what these guys do next.

If I'm forced to apply a numerical value to simplify my beautiful fully formed objective facts opinions on these campaigns, my rankings would look like

UC1 = 6
UC2 = 9
UC3 = 6
TLOU = 9
UC4 = 7

If we're including multiplayer in the ratings (aka the "entire package" score), UC2 =10 and UC4 = 8.

Griss

Crushing is unlocked from the very beginning. The bonuses don't disable trophies.

Yes, it should be fine.

Thanks guys.

Cuz it's damn gud.

I feel like they've turned the weakest part of these games into some of the best. UC1 especially had the weirdest driving sequences, they were OK.

It feels good, but there's really nothing to it. It's just a way of getting from point to be, there's no real gameplay there imo. Not sure why they included it. I liked the winch, I guess.

2 has the most, and best, designed encounters. Each fight in that game feels distinct in some way where it's evident thought was put into the layout and placement of enemies. You get shootouts while holding onto signs high above a street, multi-sniper dual w/RPGs mixed in, shootouts while in the back of moving trucks, shootouts in an overturned and overrun train car, shootout while climbing a tower, shootouts while descending a tower, etc. And that's all in normal gameplay.

4's open arenas are generally well designed, and the various improvements to combat overall kind of mean it doesn't need those really linear, hand-crafted encounters considering how every outcome is fun. Sneaking through is engaging enough to be fun/challenging, combat is good, being able to actually lose enemies is great, and so forth. It just needed far more of these. People flipped their lids about Eurogamer's "walking simulator," article, and while that term for those types of games might be derogatory, 4 really does feel like Firewatch at times. Firewatch is dope, but it doesn't present some really fun combat, then goes back to wandering through the forest for a few chapters straight.

holy shit, I never knew

I think some people are really understating just how good UC2's encounter design is.

Cuz it's damn gud.

I would LOVE a multiplayer racing mode. Naughty Dog, please!

Vire

If I'm forced to apply a numerical value to simplify my beautiful fully formed objective facts opinions on these campaigns, my rankings would look like

UC1 = 6
UC2 = 9
UC3 = 6
TLOU = 9
UC4 = 7

If we're including multiplayer in the ratings (aka the "entire package" score), UC2 =10 and UC4 = 8.
Da fuq man, TLOU only a 9? I thought you were cool Net Wrecker.

Spinluck

I was always of the opinion that UC2 had the best stretch of pacing and encounters in the series. When it picks up, it picks up.

The combat was really lacking for me though.

None of the guns felt good, and the melee felt terrible (might be getting UC1 and UC2s hand to hand mixed up).

Yeah, what makes UC2 really special isn't just the fights themselves, but how the game flows between them. The pacing from Nepal onwards is spot-on. Never too much downtime, and the downtime that's there makes sense (the lengthy Village/Ice Caves following the most elongated and intense set piece in the game and leading into the climax, pre-Shambhala platforming/puzzle being the last brief moment of respite before the endgame, etc).

Cuz it's damn gud.

It's great. All the non-combat stuff is really great and/or improved over past games. Can't say whether it'll all be as engaging in a second playthrough, but yeah.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
I don't think I'll ever understand the allure of Uncharted... especially now. About 5hrs in on Ch 11, and all I can say are the graphics are utterly amazing, and the setpieces are fun. But the traversal is boring, the puzzles are very meh, and the combat is frustrating, repetitive, and compounded by floaty aiming.

Technical marvel and a great way to show off a system or have some very mindless fun. It's good - sure. Worth buying, absolutely. But how this game got 9s and 10s across the board is beyond me.

I'm.glad people are enjoying it; truly! Theres plenty to like. But the gameplay just isn't thy much fun for me... Which would be fine if I found the story super engaging; but it feels just like the previous two games (never played the original).

Top Bottom