• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 4: A Thief's End |OT| You're gonna miss this ass

pupcoffee

I can't believe I just sat and watched a 15 minute video of chapter 10... again! I've played it twice.

This game is pleasurable to watch. Everyone seems to like watching this, even if they're not gamers.

Javin98

Banned
That second one was my least favorite part of the whole,game by far. IMO, the combat is at its weakest when there are no real stealth options. It's pretty serviceable when you can swing and jump around then come back again from a new vantage with the enemies unaware. Much less so when it's just a pop and stop shooter.
Well, I loved how you could
jump off the elevator and shoot from the rocks and jump back to the elevator at will. Felt like a true evolution of the signboard fight in Uncharted 2.

Just finished the game. Goty for me. Massive spoiler here don't click if you don't want to know.
Also the ending was great with old man drake...
. They got rid of the floaty character movements from 1,2,3 and controls felt more tighter on this one. Not to mention the graphics top notch. I am surprised ps4 can run this without sub 10 fps. Best in the series for me.

Parapraxis

jump off the elevator and shoot from the rocks and jump back to the elevator at will. Felt like a true evolution of the signboard fight in Uncharted 2.

The Jeep lift section was pretty unforgiving on Crushing, especially if you came ill prepared lol.

Javin98

Banned
The Jeep lift section was pretty unforgiving on Crushing, especially if you came ill prepared lol.
Well, I played on Hard the first time and although I died a few times, when I got the hang of the level, it was amazing. I even ran out of ammo and still managed.

Yeah, that well set up and I wanted more scenarios with a cool level design gimmick.

pupcoffee

Playing through Hard mode, after Medium, is satisfying. Encounters play out like that Last of Us E3 demo. They actually seem meticulously well-paced and choreographed even though they are organically happening. There's often a surprise fist-fight at the right moment. The "randomness" of playing on Medium, where you can do a little too much without consequence, seems more streamlined. There's never a "break" in the fight because there's always a guard coming to you, often from the side or behind. Is anyone else experiencing this? The enemies don't seem to have more health, either, which is great.

Wow. I didnt like Uncharted 3 so almost didnt buy the game, but loved it start to finish. Liked so much I ordered the drake collection to play the first one again 1080/60 since it was my favorite of the 1-3

The very last level in the game was so cool, all games should have that kind of thing

Also, who thought the
exploding mummy
section was a good idea?

Yeah that was a really bizarre level, I had enjoyed every single level to that point and was just getting more and more impressed - then hit that one, and just found it awful to look at and to play.

At least by that point I had wanted to see how the story wrapped up so got through it quick (the more beautiful the level the more time I explore every little corner lol)

dalin80

Banned
I will be kind of really disappointed if
Drake doesn't die

ENDING SPOILERS

Sadly noone dies other then a newly introduced character that noone especially cares about. It makes the whole ending a damp squib and meh.

The reveal of the pirate ship should have been an epic and breathtaking moment, and we should have had a good chance to explore it but it's just a couple of rooms and then boss fight. Meh. The boss fight introduces a 11th hour combat mechanic and sucks balls. Meh. But the biggest crime the ending does is 'no repercussions'. Sam should have died and gone down with the treasure he wanted so badly, He and Rafe, Every and Tew all victims to greed. The games title is 'A thief's end' and it would be nice if the could cover the deaths of Sam, Every and Tew and also the 'retirement' of Nate following his brothers death.

As is the the ending was more fitting to a daytime TV movie then a game series that has so focused on consequences, Nate and Elena should have gone into the sunset together and having a kid is great but Sam's death should have been the catalyst for that change.

I have never really been interested in the Uncharted games. I played a bit of the first one at a friend's house one time and didn't care for it. From gameplay videos I've seen, it's a lot of action that I don't really want to engage in.

However, I've seen a lot of people over the past week talking about "the dinner scene" in Uncharted 4, so I went to YouTube and watched it.

I am absolutely floored. This 5-minute scene is probably the most human thing I've ever seen in a video game. The dialogue, the visuals, the pacing, the atmosphere... it's fantastic. I know next to nothing about these characters, but in just a few short minutes I started to care about them and feel attached.

I wish more games did stuff like this. I'm never going to play Uncharted 4, but I really have to appreciate what has been accomplished here from a narrative and character perspective.

jjonez18

And roll credits. How I had hoped it would end. Took me a week to finish a nearly 20 hour game and I can't say I didn't enjoy a single moment. Now onto another playthrough with no photomode or treasures. Want that seamless experience. Game was too beautiful and full of exploration for its own good. It clashed with my "perfectionist" type playstyle lol. Will be a relief not setting up the perfect angle for a screenshot or searching every nook for treasure.

^how many people actually play on crushing for the challenge alone and not just to get a trophy lol
It's a test of skill. It's why I would do a NG+ of any game really.

Does anyone have tips for Chapter 18 on crushing? I have been stuck at the first encounter in
New Devon where the water interleaves with the houses.

I have been trying at this for the past hour or so. Stealth doesn't work, just going all in doesn't work. Its so damn frustrating that this one doesn't have battle checkpoints like the previous games. The elevator part in Chapter 17 was giving me the same exact issues. Crushing had been a cake walk up until this point. I just want to finish this game for crying out loud

ENDING SPOILERS

Sadly noone dies other then a newly introduced character that noone especially cares about. It makes the whole ending a damp squib and meh.

The reveal of the pirate ship should have been an epic and breathtaking moment, and we should have had a good chance to explore it but it's just a couple of rooms and then boss fight. Meh. The boss fight introduces a 11th hour combat mechanic and sucks balls. Meh. But the biggest crime the ending does is 'no repercussions'. Sam should have died and gone down with the treasure he wanted so badly, He and Rafe, Every and Tew all victims to greed. The games title is 'A thief's end' and it would be nice if the could cover the deaths of Sam, Every and Tew and also the 'retirement' of Nate following his brothers death.

Why explore Avery's ship when the purpose was to save Sam from getting himself killed? That really doesn't make any sense. That would be a pacing mistake.

Davide

:/
why would that disappoint you
(not really spoilers because I don't know the ending)

Gives more weight the story, hero doesn't usually die in the end, it feels like Nathan just can't live a normal life even if he tries, has this unhealthy obsession/addiction which will get him killed in the end, he's come close to death too many times to make it out of this alive, it's tragic also because his brother got him killed...

dralla

ENDING SPOILERS

As is the the ending was more fitting to a daytime TV movie then a game series that has so focused on consequences, Nate and Elena should have gone into the sunset together and having a kid is great but Sam's death should have been the catalyst for that change.

Introducing a new character and killing them off like that isn't a great idea. Sam spent 13 years in prison because of his actions, so he didn't get away unscathed. I mentioned this before but I think the only problem with the ending is how quickly everyone forgave Sam. He almost got everyone killed with his lie and no one seemed to mind.

(not really spoilers)

Gives more weight the story, hero doesn't usually die in the end, it feels like Nathan just can't live a normal life even if he tries, has this unhealthy obsession/addiction which will get him killed in the end...

(huge spoilers)

well by the end he and elena figure out how to satisfy the treasure hunt itch while doing it legal and safe.

BeeDog

Still loving the game despite its many slow parts. I think everything is elevated dramatically after (later-game spoilers)
you reach Libertalia and explore one coherent location. I don't mind the globetrotting in the first half of the game, but I always liked the UC1 approach of sticking to a singular set. The first freeform combat section among the ruined cliffside Libertalia buildings is amazing, and I hope many more similar sections pop up. Oh, and that set-piece with the tower being blasted by RPGs was :O :O :O :O :O despite its brevity.
Goddamn.

Ishida

Banned
I see some people that have a pretty weird and confused idea of what kind of series Uncharted is...

This is not The Last of Us.

Diebuster

Does anyone have tips for Chapter 18 on crushing? I have been stuck at the first encounter in

I have been trying at this for the past hour or so. Stealth doesn't work, just going all in doesn't work. Its so damn frustrating that this one doesn't have battle checkpoints like the previous games. The elevator part in Chapter 17 was giving me the same exact issues. Crushing had been a cake walk up until this point. I just want to finish this game for crying out loud

I did a mix of stealth and going all-out. Pop out, take out any guys I could, then
hop back in the water until they lost sight of me
, and repeat. It takes a while, but it worked for me.

JBwB

Be prepared to rage a lot when you get to
Chapter 20
What you have to do is take advantage of the water. Dive in when things get too hairy so that they lose sight of you. You can pick them off using stealth whilst they're searching for you. For the enemies on land near the bridge I used a barok and grenades to take them out.

dalin80

Banned
Why explore Avery's ship when the purpose was to save Sam from getting himself killed? That really doesn't make any sense. That would be a pacing mistake.

Hmm, true. I suppose it works in my mind as I didn't want to go back for Sam, I had no interest in saving him and didn't feel that is how the game should have ended. But it's a goddamn pirate ship, I have wanted to explore one since watching the Goonies.

I would have been quite happy to carry on back to the plane with Elena and Sully and fly off into the distance with the credits rolling.

Just finished the game after pouring close to thirteen hours into it without realizing it. For me binge and finish this game so quick, it means I really liked it. BUT it was not the second coming of Christ that reviews pointed out with all those 9/10 scores.

I kept waiting for that moment in the story for things to take a darker turn.
It never happened
. The banter between Nate and his brother (can't remember his name) became noise after all those pirate jokes and especially the eye-rolling statements made by c
hild Drake when he started identifying all those genuine pieces of Islamic, Early Christian, and later Asian art (his expertise at age 10 apparently)

Climbing and gun fights were, for me, mostly a chore. I was mostly wanting to see what happened next or when things would all go to shit which, again,
never happened
. The fights were especially annoying when, despite trying to stealth out of them, every man had to be killed to move forward. When I did aggro the crowds, mixing things up by moving around and trying the rope mostly got me killed, so most times I'd have to respawn at the default spot and deal with everything from a boring distance just to get moving.
The set pieces for me were not as intuitive as before, and by the third or fourth attempt of timing a jump or throwing the rope, the magic was long gone. Climbing sometimes felt unresponsive when I couldn't reach for the next ledge, etc. Later I'd see my npc companion climbing over those ledges I swore were not climbable.

ANYWAY, like most people here, it was the smaller moments that clicked with me. The chapter with
Drake and Elena back home
, the
epilogue
. I did miss
Chloe
and that
ass
, though.

Xeteh

Someone asked the other day and no one answered that I saw but you definitely get the Crushing achievement even with using the unlockable cheats.

Just got it now while using infinite ammo/auto aim the entire time. No idea how people enjoy that difficulty without it.

Someone asked the other day and no one answered that I saw but you definitely get the Crushing achievement even with using the unlockable cheats.

Just got it now while using infinite ammo/auto aim the entire time. No idea how people enjoy that difficulty without it.

Some of us like the challenge and the feel of earning the trophy itself. Cheats should be disabled for it, imo but I'm not against it either.

Some of us like the challenge and the feel of earning the trophy itself. Cheats should be disabled for it, imo but I'm not against it either.

Doing crushing in
"No Escape"
capamgif.gif

m4st4

It's really impressive and awesome but I died a few times and really ruined the momentum.

I should probably replay this.

I was terrible on Moderate... unstoppable on Hard. Second playthrough is mandatory for this game. Managed to get a secret trophy during that sequence.

daxter01

8/8/2010 Blackace was here
What does aim assist do in U4 and where should I put the slider if I want to have aiming similar to last games?

Xeteh

I'm all for challenge but nothing about Crushing in Uncharted comes off as fun for me. The moment you poke your head out you're already nearly dead. It becomes trial and error. Then there's fights with poor checkpointing like the first big fight after
being separated from Sam after the shipwreck
where it doesn't checkpoint at all and there's some 20 enemies throughout.

Soriku

Just started chapter 17. Jesus, it's crazy how much better the story is in this game compared to the last Uncharteds. Even down to the notes you find with the different side stories. I never found TLOU this good tbh. The pacing is slow, but when the story feels like ramping up, it's goooood.

Also does anyone else like Rafe? Dude's hilarious, maybe unintentionally.

Just started chapter 17. Jesus, it's crazy how much better the story is in this game compared to the last Uncharteds. Even down to the notea you find with the different side stories. I never found TLOU this good tbh. The pacing is slow, but when the story feels like ramping up, it's goooood.

My favorite villain in the Uncharted series and his dialogue in the multiplayer is second to none.

balohna

Coming off of beating Uncharted 3 recently, I feel like these combat encounters are miles better. I wasn't super into the shooting in 1-3, but I thought 3 had the most bullshit encounter designs. I'm still fairly early in the game, but I love the feel of it so far. It's some little things, like rarely being given useless cover, and some big things, like more open battlefields with fewer enemies. I'd rather smartly take out 6 guys than feel pinned down by 12.

When it comes down to firefights, it feels like there are nice fronts and flanking routes, and you can do cool shit like swing around or kick a dude into a chasm.

Duraigo

Well it saddens me to say, but this will be one of the few games that I'm going to get a refund for. It was great to play through the campaign once, but I can't really see myself playing through it again. At many points it felt too slow and tiresome to get through. Also, I couldn't get into the larger areas of the campaign. These areas felt like they were designed big for the sake of feeling big and nothing else. Graphics wise the game is incredible, and it was fun to use the camera mode to take some screen shots. How actors handled their characters were also top notch, which is to be expected from a Naughty Dog game.
Probably the most disappointing factor for me is the multiplayer portion of the game, which I was looking forward to after the open beta. In the beta I was having fun, but the final product feels like a different beast in a bad way. This is due to, IMO, controls that feel unresponsive, not fluid, and at times clunky. It felt like I was fighting against the controls. Down the road I hope to re-purchase the game if it gets released with that future single player DLC, and at a lower price, but for now I feel like my sixty dollars could go to a game that could give me more enjoyment.

Javin98

Banned
Just started chapter 17. Jesus, it's crazy how much better the story is in this game compared to the last Uncharteds. Even down to the notea you find with the different side stories. I never found TLOU this good tbh. The pacing is slow, but when the story feels like ramping up, it's goooood.

Along with Nadine, best villains in the franchise. Although, to be fair, that's not a very high bar.

Xeteh

Well it saddens me to say, but this will be one of the few games that I'm going to get a refund for. It was great to play through the campaign once, but I can't really see myself playing through it again. At many points it felt too slow and tiresome to get through. Also, I couldn't get into the larger areas of the campaign. These areas felt like they were designed big for the sake of feeling big and nothing else. Graphics wise the game is incredible, and it was fun to use the camera mode to take some screen shots. How actors handled their characters were also top notch, which is to be expected from a Naughty Dog game.
Probably the most disappointing factor for me is the multiplayer portion of the game, which I was looking forward to after the open beta. In the beta I was having fun, but the final product feels like a different beast in a bad way. This is due to, IMO, controls that feel unresponsive, not fluid, and at times clunky. It felt like I was fighting against the controls. Down the road I hope to re-purchase the game if it gets released with that future single player DLC, and at a lower price, but for now I feel like my sixty dollars could go to a game that could give me more enjoyment.

Strange you couldn't come to that epiphany before you played through the whole game.

I can understand trading the game in, but how are you going to get a refund?

Well it saddens me to say, but this will be one of the few games that I'm going to get a refund for. It was great to play through the campaign once,

Maybe if you call Druckman he'll come by to get the disc, and refund you personally with an apology. I'm sure everyone at ND is just fine with this.

Top Bottom