• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 4: A Thief's End |OT| You're gonna miss this ass

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Sooo... that speedrun trophy. Anyone done it (legitimately)? Like, I finished this game with almost 16 hours on the clock. By far the longest Uncharted. Apparently I was standing still for over 2 of those hours (does the game timer keep running when paused?), and I did explore most environments semi-thoroughly, but it seems like you'd really have to absolutely GUN IT to make it in 6 hours. I did play on Hard though, and I did die quite a bit (all that destructible cover), so I guess on the lowest difficulty it should be pretty manageable.

valkyre

ENDING SPOILERS

Sadly noone dies other then a newly introduced character that noone especially cares about. It makes the whole ending a damp squib and meh.

The reveal of the pirate ship should have been an epic and breathtaking moment, and we should have had a good chance to explore it but it's just a couple of rooms and then boss fight. Meh. The boss fight introduces a 11th hour combat mechanic and sucks balls. Meh. But the biggest crime the ending does is 'no repercussions'. Sam should have died and gone down with the treasure he wanted so badly, He and Rafe, Every and Tew all victims to greed. The games title is 'A thief's end' and it would be nice if the could cover the deaths of Sam, Every and Tew and also the 'retirement' of Nate following his brothers death.

As is the the ending was more fitting to a daytime TV movie then a game series that has so focused on consequences, Nate and Elena should have gone into the sunset together and having a kid is great but Sam's death should have been the catalyst for that change.

Or in other words the most cliche ending in the history of videogames...not to mention the kind of ending every single damn Uncharted so far had before 4...

To me they handled it perfectly, it made absolute sense for each and every character and was true to the spirit of the series.

PepperedHam

Or in other words the most cliche ending in the history of videogames...not to mention the kind of ending every single damn Uncharted so far had before 4...

To me they handled it perfectly, it made absolute sense for each and every character and was true to the spirit of the series.
Indeed. I am so happy with the way they ended it and am so glad they avoided
killing any of the main characters off like so many predicted. Would have been so unlike Uncharted. I shed so many happy tears looking through the photo albums in the epilogue and teared up from relief when Nate and Sam came swimming from the pirate coves alive.

I've said it earlier in the thread earlier in the week but I couldn't have asked for a better send off. I've been rewatching my dad play through the story and I couldn't be happier with what I've experienced with Uncharted 4. I'm happy with the whole package.

Fletcher

Meh. Game was alright. Not nearly as good as 2. Graphics were phenomenal,however. The bad gun fights took a turn towards irritating at the end.

bosseye

Finished it.

Loved it, some really stellar stuff on display and I was pretty much hooked for the entirety of the 16.5 hours it took me to complete on Moderate.

Some minor annoyances though:

1) Wheeled boxes. Everywhere. EVERYWHERE. Why? Honestly, they're just an eye rollingly contrived mechanic after the first couple, and it keeps happening. It becomes depressingly predictable - need to get up somewhere, hmm, lets look around for the inevitable, entirely out of place wheeled box. Underground lost cave in Scotland? Wheeled box on a ledge for some reason. Ruined city in the jungle? Same wheeled box, entirely untouched by the ravages of time of nature.

Considering the care lavished on the rest of the experience, you have to assume that ND are doing this stupid wheeled box thing deliberately. Which is just really odd.

2) Collapsing ledge/bridge/outcrop/"OH CRAP". It started to get predictable in UC1 and became almost a running gag for me through UC2 and 3, so its a shame it made it into UC4 in such constant fashion. You can pretty much predict which ledges are going to crumble in 'exciting' fashion so its just gets a bit....tedious.

Don't let those quibbles take away from the rest of the game though, it was a thing of beauty (visually, in terms of narrative and mechanically) throughout. One of my favourite games I've ever played.

Impulsor

On my way to platinum.

Got rid of all the kill X, don't get caught bla bla bla trophies, just have to finish game on crushing and collect everything, as well as a couple of chapter specific trophies, such as
solve the scotlan puzzle in ten moves or less and climb to the top of the tower in madagascar, knock all the cairns with the jeep

Yay! Almost done!

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod

1) Wheeled boxes. Everywhere. EVERYWHERE. Why? Honestly, they're just an eye rollingly contrived mechanic after the first couple, and it keeps happening. It becomes depressingly predictable - need to get up somewhere, hmm, lets look around for the inevitable, entirely out of place wheeled box. Underground lost cave in Scotland? Wheeled box on a ledge for some reason. Ruined city in the jungle? Same wheeled box, entirely untouched by the ravages of time of nature.

Considering the care lavished on the rest of the experience, you have to assume that ND are doing this stupid wheeled box thing deliberately. Which is just really odd.

In all fairness to the narrative, I'm pretty sure they only show up where Avery built something. Probably centuries old cargo crates or something.

valkyre

Finished it.

Loved it, some really stellar stuff on display and I was pretty much hooked for the entirety of the 16.5 hours it took me to complete on Moderate.

2) Collapsing ledge/bridge/outcrop/"OH CRAP". It started to get predictable in UC1 and became almost a running gag for me through UC2 and 3, so its a shame it made it into UC4 in such constant fashion. You can pretty much predict which ledges are going to crumble in 'exciting' fashion so its just gets a bit....tedious.

Don't let those quibbles take away from the rest of the game though, it was a thing of beauty (visually, in terms of narrative and mechanically) throughout. One of my favourite games I've ever played.

The main annoyance in terms of the crates is that they all look the same. I understand that this is deliberate so that inexperienced players will be able to take the hint that crate means you have to use it somewhere, but if they added some kind of variation there, with different looking crates in size/shape it wouldnt be bad.

I didnt have that much issue with it to be honest. Same thing people were talking about with TLOU and ladders/crates.

New melee attack animation I never noticed before.
sdOBvJJ.gif

Daft Punk

Banned
Just finished the game and I have to say I'm satisfied with the ending. I don't think there is going to be another game that will come close to pulling all the tour-de-force that was this game except TLOU2 or whatever game ND comes up with next. If UC2 put ND on the map and TLOU solidified their position amongst the top game studios, UC4 put them in the Hall of Fame. Just ugggh I can't stop gushing about this game! It's so good!

Hermii

Whats the deal with gold weapons? I always picked those up because there is usually some kind of advantage with golden things in video games, but I didn't notice anything different.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
Whats the deal with gold weapons? I always picked those up because there is usually some kind of advantage with golden things in video games, but I didn't notice anything different.

They're rarer and more powerful. The gold revolver downs in one hit, the gold assault rifle has a huge clip and insane rate of fire, the gold grenade launcher is a grenade launcher, ditto for the RPG, and then the flintlock is just there for fun.

So I had to go to kitchen for 30 seconds to get some drink during the cutscene before car chase sequence (E3 opening cutscene if you don't figure out) and when I went back, bam, a trophy unlocked, I was like "WTF" then I read trophy description. lmao well played ND, well played

KeRaSh

So I had to go to kitchen for 30 seconds to get some drink during the cutscene before car chase sequence (E3 opening cutscene if you don't figure out) and when I went back, bam, a trophy unlocked, I was like "WTF" then I read trophy description. lmao well played ND, well played

Can you elaborate? Did I miss something? ^^

valkyre

Can you elaborate? Did I miss something? ^^

After the cutscene before the market fight, if you stay still for 30 secs or so, the trophy pops.

Its a hilarious easter egg that refers to the failure at the stage demo of that particular scene, when it was first shown in E3, where the controler wasnt paired with the console and the characters just stood there doing nothing. It was an awkward hilarious moment. They had to restart the demo to get it going :p

Hoo-doo

Banned
i really love the combat music

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b8e7YnMHNU8

i wouldn't personally say the soundtrack was underwhelming it was less summer blockbuster which i think suited the game in certain spots. Plus playing with headphones is really great since the atmosphere of
Madagascar
worked well without a soundtrack playing.

This exact song was so goddamn hype during combat. The song really starts popping off at around the 2 minute mark.

The soundtrack is stellar.

KeRaSh

After the cutscene before the market fight, if you stay still for 30 secs or so, the trophy pops.

Its a hilarious easter egg that refers to the failure at the stage demo of that particular scene, when it was first shown in E3, where the controler wasnt paired with the console and the characters just stood there doing nothing. It was an awkward hilarious moment. They had to restart the demo to get it going :p

Wow, that's awesome! I'll have to look up the name of the Trophy.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
So now you can disable those heavy armoured guys through melee.
You have to stealth them, which first initiates pressing triangle a few times to rip the guy's helmet off. Then you can take them on like normal, which would typically involve immediately attacking before the guy recovers and just snapping his neck. I think that's how it worked.

Edit: Er, not sure why I read that as a question. I need to go to sleep.

Gecoma

Sooo... that speedrun trophy. Anyone done it (legitimately)? Like, I finished this game with almost 16 hours on the clock. By far the longest Uncharted. Apparently I was standing still for over 2 of those hours (does the game timer keep running when paused?), and I did explore most environments semi-thoroughly, but it seems like you'd really have to absolutely GUN IT to make it in 6 hours. I did play on Hard though, and I did die quite a bit (all that destructible cover), so I guess on the lowest difficulty it should be pretty manageable.

I just finished my 2nd playthrough in 9 hours. The thing is it was a full collectables run on crushing, so yeah I'd imagine under 6 hours would be pretty doable on explorer & mainlining it.

My first playthrough was 16 hours & I used the glitch for the 70% accuracy & speedrun trophies. Because fuck doing 2 more full playthroughs just for those.

They're rarer and more powerful. The gold revolver downs in one hit, the gold assault rifle has a huge clip and insane rate of fire, the gold grenade launcher is a grenade launcher, ditto for the RPG, and then the flintlock is just there for fun.

It also does heavy damage and the accuracy of the hipefire is great.
I loved the off-terrain vehicle moments. It gave a real great feeling driving terrain. The driving mechanics for such games are in general extremly bad, but not in uncharted 4.
The suckerpunches after blindfire while running toward enemies were extremely cool, but hard to do in harder modes though.

Overall I loved how the adventure aspects were handled.

Hello!
Can someone with the game please let me know if there are treasure descriptions or information this time(like tomb raider) or is it just pretty things to spin around?
no spoilers please !
Thanks

edd

Neo Member
I was thinking about what Niel and Bruce said about the ending being divisive, having watched it I cant see why it would be, its such a good ending, and then it hit me. This is way too good of an ending for a supposed "pulp action" franchise. I guess people who were accustomed to the idea that Nate will continue adventures forever would be pissed off. All I know is I recall having that empty feeling when UC3 finished, I was like "that's it?", with UC4 I feel thoroughly satisfied with the conclusion especially epilogue. ND nailed it and should move on to TLOU2 and new IP's. It's undoubtedly the most satisfying conclusion to a franchise in recent memory.

Gecoma

Hello!
Can someone with the game please let me know if there are treasure descriptions or information this time(like tomb raider) or is it just pretty things to spin around?
no spoilers please !
Thanks

The majority of the collectables are still pretty things to spin around but there are also optional conversations ala the last of us, a lot of written notes for your journal & sketches for your journal.

Polarburr

Hey there! quick question

When I choose an encounter in encounter select, it'll always end with 'restart encounter'. Is there a way for it to just continue past that?

I kept waiting for that moment in the story for things to take a darker turn.
It never happened

I thought the story was going to have its moment when
the entire group is walking back to the plane. I thought that you would reach the plane and Sam would pull a dick move by sabotaging it or something. He would force you to hunt down Avery's treasure with him. In the end, you would have to square off with one another, just like how Avery fought Tew. I thought the entire pirate story was a vague allusion to an inevitable conflict between the brothers. Instead, it's just the simple GREED IS BAD crap we've seen a million times.

The conclusion to this game is pretty safe and overly predictable.I don't think the pay off is worth it, especially when the game puts such a heavy emphasis on the story this time.

Nev

Banned
controls that feel unresponsive, not fluid, and at times clunky. It felt like I was fighting against the controls.

Hahaha. Inmediately stopped taking the post seriously after that. The controls are the exact opposite of that. It's one of the third person games with best, most responsive and fluid controls, definitely the best for me when playing at the 60fps of the multiplayer.

wouwie

I finished the game yesterday and honestly, i don't know what to think since i have very mixed feelings about UC4. I think i'll let it sink in, wait a few weeks and replay it before making a final judgement. I'm actually looking forward to replaying so there's that at least.

At this point i would rate the UC games like this: UC2 >= UC1 >>> UC4 >> UC3

This game is a pleasure to play and behold, currently On chapter 16 or 17. It's paced similar to the other entries except it has an extra 3-4 hours in the middle (Unfortunately I've been spoiled on the chapter length). Maybe that's why I see a lot of complaints about not doing much or being tired of certain aspects of the game. An extra section might push many to the point of frustration, it's understandable. Coming into the game some people made it seem like there was less combat. I was worried coming in, but there's plenty of combat alas the fights aren't as long. I like that the fights aren't as long as previous Uncharted's sending 4 and 5 waves of enemies at you. So by that definition there's less but it doesn't bother me a bit.

One thing I did enjoy was the dialogue exchanges between Sam and Nate.
Sam being wowed by everything and Nate having a been there, done that kind of attitude. It reflects well how we take for granted things that people who have been institutionalized haven't experienced. Like his comment about this is the 2nd biggest cistern I've seen, and Sam says, "what's the first?" It really shows Nate has done so much, what does he have to prove.

Namikaze1

Finally. Platinum unlocked. Thought I would get it from finishing my Crushing run last night but turns out I was missing one of the hidden trophies (
I Accidentally All The Guns
).
I thought I had used all the weapons in the game. Turns out I didn't. Just needed to get one propane kill to get the trophy.

Now back to MP.

Keihart

Nice video, thanks. That looks similar to what I was talking about - hit and run stealth oriented attacks. If you're in the open, even at full speed, with dodges, climbing or swinging you're still going to go black and white because enemies will ping you from range the entire time.

I kindof wish the game was balanced to make enemies far less accurate while you were in full motion, swinging or doing melee. That way you wouldn't have to rely quite so much upon losing line of sight and stealth, and could pull off more action adventure movie stuff.

Maybe the co-op to come could mitigate this as enemy attention will be split across players.

Yeah, i wish enemies woul have their acurancy afected by how you move and how far you are, that would be perfect.

Edit:
Well it saddens me to say, but this will be one of the few games that I'm going to get a refund for. It was great to play through the campaign once, but I can't really see myself playing through it again. At many points it felt too slow and tiresome to get through. Also, I couldn't get into the larger areas of the campaign. These areas felt like they were designed big for the sake of feeling big and nothing else. Graphics wise the game is incredible, and it was fun to use the camera mode to take some screen shots. How actors handled their characters were also top notch, which is to be expected from a Naughty Dog game.
Probably the most disappointing factor for me is the multiplayer portion of the game, which I was looking forward to after the open beta. In the beta I was having fun, but the final product feels like a different beast in a bad way. This is due to, IMO, controls that feel unresponsive, not fluid, and at times clunky. It felt like I was fighting against the controls. Down the road I hope to re-purchase the game if it gets released with that future single player DLC, and at a lower price, but for now I feel like my sixty dollars could go to a game that could give me more enjoyment.

You are gonna get a refund after beating the game....sure, that seems fair.

Top Bottom