• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 4: A Thief's End |OT| You're gonna miss this ass

I thought the story was going to have its moment when
the entire group is walking back to the plane. I thought that you would reach the plane and Sam would pull a dick move by sabotaging it or something. He would force you to hunt down Avery's treasure with him. In the end, you would have to square off with one another, just like how Avery fought Tew. I thought the entire pirate story was a vague allusion to an inevitable conflict between the brothers. Instead, it's just the simple GREED IS BAD crap we've seen a million times.

The conclusion to this game is pretty safe and overly predictable.I don't think the pay off is worth it, especially when the game puts such a heavy emphasis on the story this time.

I was really expecting this too. Not necessarily the way you described it, but I definitely he thought that would be the final fight.

SomTervo

Oppinions I guess.

What you are describing is the reason I like U4 and can not stand the new Tomb Raider
games. In TR you go into a level and immediately they show you a list with over one hundred things you can collect in that area. Fuck this. I dont feel rewarded by this. Its just busy work. It doesnt add anything. It only detracts from the actual fun part of the game and it it ruins pacing.

You are not meant to walk around those games looking on the ground for items. You are not meant to walk into every dead end or try to jump up ledges that can not be jumped upon.
You are meant to just exist in that world.
Take it in. Enjoy the car ride. You just had a gun fight. Time to turn on the radio, talk to your partner and relax. These bits are very important for pacing and atmosphere. I personally enjoyed those quite moments in U4. Especially because of the fact that I did not need to collect anything. Its so pressure less. Just enjoyable. In a less well crafted game these moments would be pointless, but here they feel more meaningful. I think games can be more immersive because they give you the time to think about what just happened, instead of jumping to the next scene like a movie would. You have time to reflect and Uncharted uses that expertly.

I can totally see that being a taste thing. Some people want to collect stuff and craft and get xp. Personally, thats the part of gaming I hate. When a game uses these mechanics for no real reason I feel like it wastes my time. It works for certain genres but a 3rd Person shooter isnt really one of those. In the case of Tomb Raider that meant that I could not finish either of the new games. They dragged on and on and nothing was ever happening. I lost complete focus on the story, pacing was non existent. The progression is just window dressing. Harder enemies could drop better weapons like in any other shooter, but hey, lets skinner box the shit out of our mechanics to make feel more "rewarding".

Well said, specifically the bolded

After beating the game on Saturday, I've finally been listening to the soundtrack on Spotify. I think people are sleeping on the soundtrack a bit. It's different from the soundtracks to the first three, so I understand some people won't like the change, and that it pretty sparingly uses Nate's theme in it's fully blown glory, but there's some real good shit on this. The music during all the big action scenes is really good stuff, and when it gets big it gets real big.

Agree with this, too.

It doesn't stand out during gameplay, so it's easy to forget, but as music in its own right it's damn nice.

I think their last use of Drake's theme was a mistake though - at least this minor key, solemn variant. They should have gone back to the bombastic original for the tune's send off.

This game is a pleasure to play and behold, currently On chapter 16 or 17. It's paced similar to the other entries except it has an extra 3-4 hours in the middle (Unfortunately I've been spoiled on the chapter length). Maybe that's why I see a lot of complaints about not doing much or being tired of certain aspects of the game. An extra section might push many to the point of frustration, it's understandable. Coming into the game some people made it seem like there was less combat. I was worried coming in, but there's plenty of combat alas the fights aren't as long. I like that the fights aren't as long as previous Uncharted's sending 4 and 5 waves of enemies at you. So by that definition there's less but it doesn't bother me a bit.

One thing I did enjoy was the dialogue exchanges between Sam and Nate.
Sam being wowed by everything and Nate having a been there, done that kind of attitude. It reflects well how we take for granted things that people who have been institutionalized haven't experienced. Like his comment about this is the 2nd biggest cistern I've seen, and Sam says, "what's the first?" It really shows Nate has done so much, what does he have to prove.

Agreed, although FYI the
"second biggest cistern"
comment is actually a reference to Monkey Island ;)

3rdbass

Banned
Well it took me almost 24 hours to finish the game on hard. I guess I suck. LOL! I couldn't even get 50% of the treasures looking around a lot. It is a linear game but has so many hidden ledges that it can get frustrating with repeated attempts to find it and dying.

For the actual game I have mixed feelings. I felt they improved the shooting, more open areas, and of course graphics. I just felt that the platforming became numb minding boring at times. I wish they could have shortened this game a little. We definitely didn't need the Last of Us type epilogue.

Overall I enjoyed the game and would rate it better than UC3 but basically just on par with UC1(loved the super natural spanish zombies) in the original and the Indiana Jones feel to it. I still think UC2 is the best due to the pacing. I was just playing this game before starting UC4 and if felt fun all the time. I can't say the same for UC4 .The pacing was another sore point with me for this game. Slow too much at the beginning and then when we got good action scenes they just ended and were left with boring platforming or long cut scenes.

I just felt too much that I was playing the Last of Us "Uncharted". Even the main menu had that feeling. I didn't really care for the ending but I understand why some people might like it.

Overall I liked the game but just felt like they stretched it out a little too long for an Uncharted and made it too serious. Uncharted is supposed to be fun. I hope if they make a new Uncharted game it stars Chloe and has a more jovial and sarcastic(Chloe is great with sly remarks) theme.

SomTervo

Alright, so I think I have finally figured out how to best communicate what I did not like about this game. And I think I can explain that easily using Chapter 21 as an example.

Spoilers, obviously.

Chapter 21 opens after an explosive, exciting escape Chapter 20, with Nate and co. retreating from Nadine's army and fighting their way through some exciting battle. Chapter 21 on paper serves as somewhat of a "cooldown" chapter after the exhilarating previous one. Unfortunately, it kind of spoils the ramp-up pacing leading up to the end game and the final encounter. It's just kind of...there.

Chapter 21 is just a traversal chapter. That's it. Nate leaves behind Sully and Elena to go rescue his brother. It leaves Nate alone to get to the Avery's ship and rescue his brother. He climbs a lot of stuff. I'll give it to the game that this traversal chapter is slightly more interesting than the rest, with some nice views and some non-obvious pathing, but it's still there, feeling completely out of place after the ramp-up of 20 and the dramatic conclusion that happens in 22. As weird as it sounds, it feels like filler.

And this permeates through U4 in general, but I think this chapter is the most clear example, because it possibly sours the dramatic build-up that happened in the previous chapters and just exists, seemingly, to give the player a break from the action. But what's so wrong with a break?

Well, nothing, on paper. In some chapters in U4 there are segments of no combat traversal that yield some interesting character development. Nate and his bro share some memories, reminisce, or dig up some of their feelings. Although not exciting in an action-adventure way, these serve a purpose to propel the characters forward through the story. There is something to be said of where these are placed and why they sometimes don't work quite well sandwiched between exciting setpieces, but that's another criticism that we've been through over and over again.

Chapter 21, however, is just there. You traverse some environments and reach your destination. It feels like player busywork before the big payoff. And it brings me to what I feel like Uncharted 4 so desperately needs: editing.

Editing, of course, is a film term, not really a game one. But because this series so much seeks to emulate the medium of film, I feel like I need to criticize it through the lens of film in some respects. In a movie, after a huge action setpiece moment a la Chapter 20, the action movie would likely take a little break. Give the characters some small time to take a breather, talk about something, and then finally allow the main character to make the journey up the cliff to save his half-wit brother. But the difference? The movie wouldn't spend 20 minutes on the protagonist's climb up the mountain, because that is god damn boring and completely breaks the pacing. And I must ask , why the hell does ND think that is important to experience? We, as the player, have done dozens of traversal sections when we get to this chapter, we get the jist. At this point in the story we want to see the ending, to see what happens, who lives and dies, etc. What we don't really want is to scale yet another cliffside for the hundreth time for 20 minutes. Wouldn't it be great if U4 trusts the player to "get" it on their own, and do some obvious cliff montage. Wouldn't it be great if they just did a cinematic of Drake climbing the mountain, using some quick edits, and a few key player interaction moments during some exciting jumps. We don't need to be in it for half an hour to get that Drake is climbing that mountain. We don't need to be with him that entire time. We can be trusted to understand how edits work.

And it's not just this example, U4 does this all the time, with little things. Pushing a box around for a handful of minutes here, moving a crate over there, solving a completely obvious environmental puzzle to proceed, doing some half-assed traversal in order to make it to your destination. Little road blocks that break up the pacing. Small moments that serve no greater narrative purpose nor give the player anything interesting to do with gameplay. And it's not like they are a spectacle, either. They are busywork. It's just downtime for the sake of downtime.

This permeates the game, and, in my opinion, has no place in it. There are parts of Uncharted 4 where I feel like I'm watching The Revenant in slow motion.

I like your opinion and how you wrote it out here, but I never really thought about it in this detail, and I never thought a single sequence of traversal/exploration was wasted. None of it felt like a waste to me, or like it could have been cut. I enjoyed every part. Of course I feel they could have added more combat, but it was a fucking achievement that they only inserted combat where it 100% made sense.

Funny thing, opinions.

Well said.

The other one that stood out to me is...I think 12 into 13?
The boat chapter on the island. Again, stand alone, I'm fine with this. It happens right after the most high octane setpiece in the entire game, and has similar things that you mention (Sam & Nate character moments) though it perhaps lasts overly long with the sheer amount of climbing and crate pushing. But what gets me is how this mirrors UC2, and what they did differently--the opening setpiece. Once you solve some puzzles and get back outside on the island, you clearly notice the storm brewing. It's a cool moment that signals to the player that it's going to lead into the boat segment the game opened with.

However...it skips it. After this slow chapter that builds up, you are thrust into 13. Marooned. On a rainy island, slowly walking for awhile. Then climbing, meeting up with sam, etc. It's VERY slow and follows an already slow chapter, actually playing that setpiece at the start and covering it with a few quick flashes in a cutscene felt like it was missing in a spot where it was sorely needed.

UC2 opens with you climbing a train, without telling what happened to get here. Once you get the scene with Elena picking you up in the jeep and jump to the train ingame, the player KNOWS this is going to end poorly, but get to see it all unfold. Then they play a shortened version of the intro. It was much more effectively done, as opposed to the UC4 handling.

This is the type of stuff people talking about the pacing are talking about. It's not like our hands are shaking after 5 minutes of not killing someone.

This is a good point.

If this were handled the Uncharted 2 way (which they were clearly angling for anyway), the game would have opened with
us waking up on the beach, doing a bit of really atmospheric traversal, then meeting Sam and the flashback beginning. Then later, once we finished the sunny island exploration section, we would have enjoyed the intense boat chase, crash, and had a truncated version of the beach wake-up to get us up to speed with Sam.

Interesting stuff. I guess they opened with the
boat chase
section because it gave the opening more action and also acted as a tutorial for
driving
and shooting, which are both very important.

My first time through I found the pacing quite frustrating in that I never got to let loose for as much as I wanted to, the game always dragged me to a halt.

I'm going to let it simmer for a week and play some multiplayer, maybe pick up Doom, then start it again at the weekend and see how I feel about it now I know what I'm in for. I like the slower parts I just love the action.

Whatever my overall opinion of the campaign is, the game NEEDS more single player action content, even if it's just horde or challenge mode, because it's just so good. I refuse to believe that Uncharted 4s action gameplay will be confined to just this campaign.

I'm really holding out for that autumn co-op update.

Also FYI I'm replaying Uncharted 4 now in its entirely and... Damn, it's actually better second time through in some ways. This is in spite of my worries about the slow first half. Second time through you just skip cutscenes or rush sections when it isn't the pace you feel like, and when you're doing that you come to action scenes pretty damn quickly.

I kindof wish the game was balanced to make enemies far less accurate while you were in full motion, swinging or doing melee. That way you wouldn't have to rely quite so much upon losing line of sight and stealth, and could pull off more action adventure movie stuff.

You're invincible while rolling, IIRC.

Completely agree.
=]
i really love the combat music

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b8e7YnMHNU8

i wouldn't personally say the soundtrack was underwhelming it was less summer blockbuster which i think suited the game in certain spots. Plus playing with headphones is really great since the atmosphere of
Madagascar
worked well without a soundtrack playing.
yeah the combat music was probably the best in the series, or it could be a tossup between this and Uc3.

also, i liked how it was less summer blockbuster and just overall more somber and mature sounding. i personally preferred that, that seemed like the turn it should've made.
I'm slowly warming up to what it tries to do, while actively judging Henry Jackman for objectively (overused) bad compositional attributes (i.e. staccato and legato string runs, string crossing....these things are bad)
i dunno if we can call that objective bro. i mean...i think this is the best soundtrack uncharted has ever had. good on you jackman!
I'm there with you.

The sense of desperation I get listening to the central theme is something the other UC games didn't capture. The only good stuff from those are like 2-3 tunes and Nate's Theme. Kind of the case here, but I don't think the soundtrack is shit like some are saying.

UC4 also gave us much better combat music which I welcome. Rope melee killing someone around the corner with those strings and drums going off in the background is too dope.
Yes, yes man...that sense of desperation, it helps making the gameplay feel more tense. like i did genuinely feel more tense while playing through this game,
although admittedly i smoked a little bit when I first played it,
then beat it the next day.

A little more on the game itself:

I'm really sad that the series just now discovered this heavily cinematic style of gameplay mixed in with exploration that is actually exposition in disguise. It's more TLoU in style as far as the storytelling goes, but the gameplay is still very much UC imo.

I like that there weren't countless waves of enemies, and that combat was less forced in this one. Exploration was somewhat barren at times, but I enjoyed the site seeing and just admiring the visuals and charger interactions. I can understand if some people find that to be boring, but I don't think more combat and less traversal would fix it much.
"just now" - well I guess expect more of this sort of influence in tlou2, yeah?

as for the shooting, yeah...that's what annoys me most about uncharted games is the endless waves of bullet sponges. and they still sorta were bullet sponges in this game but here it wasn't as overwhelming.
hey yo! the whole soundtrack is actually on spotify! i wanna listen to it in order though. this could be a good time.

Wollan

I'm going through a detailed trophy/all-secrets Crushing run and it was nice to see that I managed to miss two larger encounters/encampments in the Madagascar Jeep section in my first go. One of them was pretty well hidden as well
as you had to find a small tunnel leading through the mountain

PS. All Cairns, treasures etc gets saved to your profile save-file and they add-up across/from all the game save files / campaing-runs. So if you missed a treasure in section during Crushing you can just later load that Chapter up on Easy mode (without having to make a save file) and find the treasure, quit, and it will add up to your profile.

Harmen

I'm going through a detailed trophy/all-secrets Crushing run and it was nice to see that I managed to miss two larger encounters/encampments in the Madagascar Jeep section in my first go. One of them was pretty well hidden as well

You can also reach that encounter you mention in your spoiler via another route. Same goes for the other skippable encounter, there are two routes towards both. It was a nice surprise finding these on my second playtrough.

dalin80

Banned
Or in other words the most cliche ending in the history of videogames...not to mention the kind of ending every single damn Uncharted so far had before 4...

To me they handled it perfectly, it made absolute sense for each and every character and was true to the spirit of the series.

I can't recall any 'good' character dying at the end of any uncharted let alone any other brothers that Nate had oddly forgot he had. The ending we got? Noone had any personal growth other then Elena who decided to feed her and Nates adventure habbit a bit more.

Wollan

8-bit shader is awesome. It even makes all the sound 8-bit:

CiqLAIpWUAADucX.jpg:large

I can't recall any 'good' character dying at the end of any uncharted let alone any other brothers that Nate had oddly forgot he had. The ending we got? Noone had any personal growth other then Elena who decided to feed her and Nates adventure habbit a bit more.

there was schafer and jeff the cameraman in Uc2

Morts

When treasure hunting via chapter select I keep coming across treasures I already picked up in my first playthrough. It didn't work that way in the previous games did it?

valkyre

Cool, it didnt resonate with you. Its fine. But at the same time and judging by what has been written/said about U4's story, you seem to be part of the vast minority that didnt find the story interesting or gripping, or the end satisfying.

To each his own, but its pretty safe to say that for most people the story/characters/ending was handled very well by U4.

LiK

When treasure hunting via chapter select I keep coming across treasures I already picked up in my first playthrough. It didn't work that way in the previous games did it?

Yea, everything is reset unlike previous games where the treasures don't reappear.

what's the name of the track that plays during the
orphanage gameplay sequence?

it was madd trippy...

just listening to the whole soundtrack on spotify now, up to
12 towers

Everything you picked up is saved already. Should be in your Treasures list. Just need to look for the ones you're missing.

That's annoying the ones you already have still show up. If you start a second playthrough are the ones you have gone from the map as well?

Nev

Banned
UC4 gives you absolutely no reason to explore its environments other than for lame trinket treasures and boring journal entries. So most of the slower paced moments in the story just fall sort of flat.

I can't believe I'm saying this, but I think I would prefer some sort of Rise of the Tomb Raider upgrade system here. That game is pure garbage, but AT LEAST it encourages the player to scavenge the environment for supplies and usable materials. I wouldn't mind collecting stuff to craft bigger ammo and grenade pouches. It would at least make the platforming/walking sections a lot less boring.

Go play Far Cry, Dying Light or ROTR, even TLOU. Is it that hard to understand that some people don't care or are just tired of crafting, upgrades and looting shit? I'd rather find a journal entry than some worthless junk to upgrade my weapon with some shitty scope or a damage boost, in a Tomb Raider game I don't want to upgrade shit or level up Lara fucking Croft, I want to explore, jump and solve puzzles, if I want to play a RPG lite I will play one of the thousand RPG lites on the market (basically most of the AAA releases of the last few years).

At least Uncharted did the right thing and put all of that in the multiplayer, while Tomb Raider couldn't and turned the franchise into yet another shitty checklist Ubisoftish game with half-assed, barely relevant RPG mechanics.

That's not what Uncharted is, get over it. Plenty of alternatives out there.

Wollan

The treasures you have picked up will re-appear in new play-throughs (though you don't actually have to pick them up).

The cairns on the other hand disappear for any subsequent play-throughs as they are destroyed.

LiK

That's annoying the ones you already have still show up. If you start a second playthrough are the ones you have gone from the map as well?

I haven't done a proper new playthrough yet. Only been redoing chapters for specific trophies and everything including all the journal stuff is back even tho I collected them already. Maybe someone else who did a proper second playthrough could clarify if they repopulate in a replay. I know treasures etc are saved in the profile so people could technically jump around and collect the ones they're missing for the trophy.

Edit: thanks Wollan. Damn, I hit some of the cairns already so that will be a pain to look for now.

Go play Far Cry, Dying Light or ROTR, even TLOU. Is it that hard to understand that some people don't care or are just tired of crafting, upgrades and looting shit? I'd rather find a journal entry than some worthless junk to upgrade my weapon with some shitty scope or a damage boost, in a Tomb Raider game I don't want to upgrade shit or level up Lara fucking Croft, I want to explore, jump and solve puzzles, if I want to play a RPG lite I will play one of the thousand RPG lites on the market (basically most of the AAA releases of the last few years).

At least Uncharted did the right thing and put all of that in the multiplayer, while Tomb Raider couldn't and turned the franchise into yet another shitty checklist Ubisoftish game with half-assed, barely relevant RPG mechanics.

I agree. If you feel the needed to be constantly rewarded for exploring, then that's kind of on you. The reward for exploring in Uncharted is unparalleled level of detail in the environment, and just experiencing what the environment is communicating as an actual location. The whole constant need for upgrading is so overwrought in modern games right now, that I was happy to just explore Madagascar in a jeep as conversations went on and that was it. There wasn't some skin i was trying to collect for a bigger wallet or some other flimsy skill tree thing. The upside is now I remember the space for explorations sake instead of grinding an area with wolves to kill.

Exactly, I'll seriously be angry if they added any of that rpg bullshit to Uncharted. It's bad enough as it is that it infected MGS, one of my favorite series to the point that I despise the game. It also infected one of my favorite genre, fps games.

Wollan

The vehicle handling in Uncharted 4 is awesome. It's like a more realistic take on Halo driving physics with the mud spin-outs and whatnot. I really would like to see a future Multiplayer mode include vehicle driving. The A.I can already shoot while driving, ND just have to implement player-passenger mode.

Give us a 'Blood Gulch' set in Madagascar:

PS. All Cairns, treasures etc gets saved to your profile save-file and they add-up across/from all the game save files / campaing-runs. So if you missed a treasure in section during Crushing you can just later load that Chapter up on Easy mode (without having to make a save file) and find the treasure, quit, and it will add up to your profile.

Played that part yesterday and found both camps, kinda felt like MGSV running into enemy camps like that lol.
There's also a house where you have to
use the jeep as a platform to climb it and then blow off the cover to get inside and find a treasure.

But yeah, didn't think I'd be doing this kind of stuff in an Uncharted game, very cool.

Finalow

I'd say UC4 has by far the best ''treasure hunting'' story/adventure (>in the series), this time I was actually interested in learning and experiencing what happened to Henry Avery, the people involved with him and his treasure.
enjoyed the ending as well.

But no one is saying they want to camp behind the same cover except you, so I'm not even sure why you even bothered to bring it up. That's the part that you refuse to grasp because, I don't know, you can't tolerate the criticism of the game I guess? The older games encourage you to move around plenty on higher difficulties, which is why the removal of throwback on top of the addition of more destructible cover and explosive damage animation reaction is annoying with late game encounter structure being irritating.
I swear you're making less and less sense with new each response. I can't tolerate criticism now? Uh. I brought it up just as an example, for the people who apparently don't like to be mobile at all, if they complain about such changes.
older games don't encourage you to move around as much as this one does. and since you're such an mlgn0sc0pe player who doesn't camp I don't see how having destructible covers or no throwbacks is such an annoyance, because you can just move the fuck away.

there are some stupidly unfair encounters on higher difficulties (mostly chapter 20 and maybe a couple more) but that's it. a couple of (poorly designed?) encounters alone definitely don't dictate if design changes are bad or good when the whole game is taken into consideration. and at this point I'm kind of tired of this moronic discussion started with you frothing at the mouth because you thought I was calling you out or whatever, so feel free to ignore this post and move on.

3rdbass

Banned
Most people are nitpicking (me included). I thought the game overall was excellent.

We might be nitpicking on the game play mechanics but definitely not the pacing and how the story was needlessly elongated through boring platforming sections. Still a good solid game but not sure I was blown away with it like I was UC2. Thought it was definitely a step up from UC3 and its incoherent story line. LOL!

dieter

Neo Member
Finished it last night and wow, blown away by how much detail ND put into this game. Definitely sets the bar for console graphics. What is strange is I can't quite put my finger on why I loved this game so much, I guess the graphics are a big part of it, combined with the general exploration. I get the complaints people have that there is a bit too much exploring, but I never got tired of just climbing around. Personally I enjoyed the first 2 uncharted games, with 3 not so much, it felt like a slog, but wow, 4 definitely feels like the best of the series for me. I might have to go back and replay 2 and 3 remastered.

Back to 4, I wouldn't mind some more puzzles, since I found the ones they have a bit too simple/small. The Tomb Raider/Rise of the Tomb Raider puzzles (especially the Challenge Tombs) were massively enjoyable and was quite surprised that ND didn't go for something similar. Hopefully there will be some story based DLC.

Man, I hope we get to see some more games along these lines soon, this has been a great year with Rise of the Tomb Raider and Uncharted 4.

Ultima_5

Towards the ending spoiler:

Anyone else find it odd that they gave Nate the last name of Morgan? Captain Morgan was a real pirate. Could've been a call back to the first/third game which was about his pretending to be the descendent of Francis drake. Possibly a future pseudo sequel? Maybe a reference of Nathan's transformation from thief to adventurer?

And the fact that when you return to the jeep they talk about the stuff you found and then resume the previous conversation so naturally, it's amazing.
There's another example where you have to use the
jeep
to reach a treasure, it's inside a
well.

Had a lot of fun exploring that place.

LiK

We might be nitpicking on the game play mechanics but definitely not the pacing and how the story was needlessly elongated through boring platforming sections. Still a good solid game but not sure I was blown away with it like I was UC2. Thought it was definitely a step up from UC3 and its incoherent story line. LOL!

Personally, I love the story and pacing but that's truly subjective so I won't argue with you guys who didn't like it. Maybe some traversal and shooting parts are a bit long but I felt that way with all the previous games.

3rdbass

Banned
Towards the ending spoiler:

Anyone else find it odd that they gave Nate the last name of Morgan? Captain Morgan was a real pirate. Could've been a call back to the first/third game which was about his pretending to be the descendent of Francis drake. Possibly a future pseudo sequel? Maybe a reference of Nathan's transformation from thief to adventurer?

Deleted.

Top Bottom