• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 4: A Thief's End |OT| You're gonna miss this ass

3rdbass

Banned
Personally, I love the story and pacing but that's truly subjective so I won't argue with you guys who didn't like it. Maybe some traversal and shooting parts are a bit long but I felt that way with all the previous games.

I loved the shooting parts even though I did get frustrated in a couple of the ending fights. I just wish the story was a little shorter and less climbing and moving boxes around to get to the next section(I have always hated these parts of the Uncharted and TLOU games).

3rdbass

Banned
Towards the ending spoiler:

Anyone else find it odd that they gave Nate the last name of Morgan? Captain Morgan was a real pirate. Could've been a call back to the first/third game which was about his pretending to be the descendent of Francis drake. Possibly a future pseudo sequel? Maybe a reference of Nathan's transformation from thief to adventurer?

I definitely can see how they can do an Uncharted 5 with Nathan Drake. They can just do his adventures with Elena in places like Malaysia and Cuba. They can definitely stumble across some cool treasures in their exploits.

Savantcore

Unconfirmed Member
Finished on Sunday night and really enjoyed it. Maybe a couple too many sequences of walking around listening to people chat towards the beginning, but I thought the combat arenas were great fun and a huge improvement over the shooting galleries of the first 3 games.

I'd rank Uncharted 2 higher but that might be down to nostalgia. Can't wait to run through the whole series again!

Morts

I think a side effect of how good this game looks is that it really sticks out when something doesn't look up to par. Replaying chapter 8 there's a part where part of a cliff breaks off and falls into the water below, and the resulting splash looks like three sprites. It's weird because the camera makes sure you see it. In the same chapter it just looks...off where the water meets the shore.

It doesn't take away from the fact that this is the best looking game I've ever seen.

Edit: also later in the game I think they
overdid it with the rain when you're marooned. Occasionally it would look like someone was touching a Star Trek force field.

Impulsor

Totally worth it. The Remastered Collection looks damn good.

Of course it is.

I got all nostalgic playing this one whenever past entries were referenced and now I wanna effing play the full "Nathan Drake Experience" froms tart to finish, including 4, a third playthrough.

Wollan

I think a side effect of how good this game looks is that it really sticks out when something doesn't look up to par. Replaying chapter 8 there's a part where part of a cliff breaks off and falls into the water below, and the resulting splash looks like three sprites. It's weird because the camera makes sure you see it. In the same chapter it just looks...off where the water meets the shore.

It doesn't take away from the fact that this is the best looking game I've ever seen.
Haha yeah. If we are going to nitpick for fun then it's that particular sprite effect and how some snow crumbles when you open a secret stair-case in the same chapter (next to gravestone). Maybe the white glimmer of the rain in the
marooned
chapter. That and (end game spoiler)
Vicky the dog
In the entirity of the game that was what stood out as not on the same level as everything else to me which speaks volumes of how accomplished the visuals are.

Patch this garbage ND.

Those things stood out to me as well, that splash doesn't seem like something you're supposed to see.
And the shoreline doesn't look realistic, yeah.
It's nitpicking but these things stood out to me too.
That splash might be a bug, I dunno.

I thought the story was going to have its moment when
the entire group is walking back to the plane. I thought that you would reach the plane and Sam would pull a dick move by sabotaging it or something. He would force you to hunt down Avery's treasure with him. In the end, you would have to square off with one another, just like how Avery fought Tew. I thought the entire pirate story was a vague allusion to an inevitable conflict between the brothers. Instead, it's just the simple GREED IS BAD crap we've seen a million times.

The conclusion to this game is pretty safe and overly predictable.I don't think the pay off is worth it, especially when the game puts such a heavy emphasis on the story this time.
What you described would have been extremely lame and unnecessary.
The whole story sets up how close Nathan and Sam were and at no point did one or the other give a reason to fight to the death. Yes Sam lied to Nathan and they'd get into little arguments, but the game did a great job of explaining why Sam is so passionate about Averys Treasure and why Nathan was ok with going along for the ride. Nathan absolutely loves the adventure even though he's been lying to himself that he doesn't. That dinner scene highlights this very well. Nathan or Sam wanting to kill eachother would have come out of left field and would have made for a incredibly ridiculous conclusion.

This has probably been asked a dozen times already but fuck it this thread is huge:

Is it CONFIRMED that you can get the Charted! - Crushing trophy with game modifiers enabled? Because if that's the case I might actually have fun playing it towards the end instead of frustration like I did on my first playthrough on Hard, no assists.

LiK

This has probably been asked a dozen times already but fuck it this thread is huge:

Is it CONFIRMED that you can get the Charted! - Crushing trophy with game modifiers enabled? Because if that's the case I might actually have fun playing it towards the end instead of frustration like I did on my first playthrough on Hard, no assists.
yes you can. Have fun.

Philippo

Wow, the combat encounter from PSX was mindblowing, i was on the edge of my seat all the time. Probably the best fight in the game until now together with Ch.8.

Wollan

I'm breezing through Crushing currently with bonuses. Feeling like Neo with that bullet time on. Lots of fun.

I swear you're making less and less sense with new each response. I can't tolerate criticism now? Uh. I brought it up just as an example, for the people who apparently don't like to be mobile at all, if they complain about such changes.
older games don't encourage you to move around as much as this one does. and since you're such an mlgn0sc0pe player who doesn't camp I don't see how having destructible covers or no throwbacks is such an annoyance, because you can just move the fuck away.

there are some stupidly unfair encounters on higher difficulties (mostly chapter 20 and maybe a couple more) but that's it. a couple of (poorly designed?) encounters alone definitely don't dictate if design changes are bad or good when the whole game is taken into consideration. and at this point I'm kind of tired of this moronic discussion started with you frothing at the mouth because you thought I was calling you out or whatever, so feel free to ignore this post and move on.
But nobody is saying they don't want to be mobile, so why on earth are you even bringing it up? It just reads like a non sequitur.

Weird, they do on crushing while also adding some real safety for the player.

They kind of are bad when you punish the player like this. Taking the whole game into consideration, those earlier encounters actually have some leeway with stealth. For some reason ND, I don't know, stopped giving a shit about what's reasonable. The late game isnt and makes the omission of the older mechanic glaring. How is for example funneling the player into a tight corridor full of enemies that begin to rush you and two wooden walls that crumble after constant fire and grenades and then spawning a guy with shotgun right behind you good design exactly?

Dude, this discussion started with you whining and insulting people about not liking something you do. But please go off into the sunset if you have to.

Agreed, although FYI the
"second biggest cistern"
comment is actually a reference to Monkey Island ;)

I did not know this! Thanks for pointing that out

Go play Far Cry, Dying Light or ROTR, even TLOU. Is it that hard to understand that some people don't care or are just tired of crafting, upgrades and looting shit? I'd rather find a journal entry than some worthless junk to upgrade my weapon with some shitty scope or a damage boost, in a Tomb Raider game I don't want to upgrade shit or level up Lara fucking Croft, I want to explore, jump and solve puzzles, if I want to play a RPG lite I will play one of the thousand RPG lites on the market (basically most of the AAA releases of the last few years).

At least Uncharted did the right thing and put all of that in the multiplayer, while Tomb Raider couldn't and turned the franchise into yet another shitty checklist Ubisoftish game with half-assed, barely relevant RPG mechanics.

That's not what Uncharted is, get over it. Plenty of alternatives out there.

This can't be stressed enough. My immersion gets broken in many games, because of the urgency of the story is undercut when I'm reminded I have 5 side quests to do and need to level up all this extra shit. In Uncharted it's refreshing to me, to know what I'm doing is THE SOLE objective.

IMO many open world games would benefit from being quest equality with each quest having its own story like Witcher 3 and dead the, "OMG you gotta save the world.... But this guy over there is giving out a better gun if you bring him 12 roses!" Or "People are captured, but the they understand you're out hunting tigers and shit."

With the subtle and not so subtle references to other games, as well as films, I've been sort of wondering if the Assassins Creed concept art was meant to be a reference as well.

LiK

It's gonna hurt a lot, but its worth it anyways. U1 is the worst of the bunch for me.

I actually liked UC1 much more after replaying it in the Collection. The pacing was better than I remember and the game flowed pretty quick from area to area. I was able to beat it in Moderate in one evening. UC2 on the other hand felt way too long in spots. The latter half dragged for me.

I thought the story was going to have its moment when
the entire group is walking back to the plane. I thought that you would reach the plane and Sam would pull a dick move by sabotaging it or something. He would force you to hunt down Avery's treasure with him. In the end, you would have to square off with one another, just like how Avery fought Tew. I thought the entire pirate story was a vague allusion to an inevitable conflict between the brothers. Instead, it's just the simple GREED IS BAD crap we've seen a million times.

While I totally disagree with you assessment of the ending I too thought that
Sam was going to sabotage the plane or something. He seemed to just fold too easily. I think that's the one section of the game I would cut- nothing really happens from a gameplay or character perspective when you are walking through the port. If Sam had betrayed you at the end then I would say it worked at building suspense. Since that didn't happen I would have gone right from the super-high of the Sam rescue into him leaving the party with Nate off to run after him.

Agreed, although FYI the
"second biggest cistern"
comment is actually a reference to Monkey Island ;)

Is that confirmed? I know Druckmann is a huge MI fan but it seems like a blatant reference to the end of UC3.

What you described would have been extremely lame and unnecessary.
The whole story sets up how close Nathan and Sam were and at no point did one or the other give a reason to fight to the death. Yes Sam lied to Nathan and they'd get into little arguments, but the game did a great job of explaining why Sam is so passionate about Averys Treasure and why Nathan was ok with going along for the ride. Nathan absolutely loves the adventure even though he's been lying to himself that he doesn't. That dinner scene highlights this very well. Nathan or Sam wanting to kill eachother would have come out of left field and would have made for a incredibly ridiculous conclusion.

Yeah, I really appreciated how
right after you find out that Sam lied to you he still takes a bullet for Nathan. Then they flash back and he does the same thing as a kid when Evelyn has a gone on them. Sam can be kind of scummy but the dude straight up loves his brother.

Impulsor

I actually liked UC1 much more after replaying it in the Collection. The pacing was better than I remember and the game flowed pretty quick from area to area. I was able to beat it in Moderate in one evening. UC2 on the other hand felt way too long in spots. The latter half dragged for me.

I may agree with you after I replay it, again, but for me I always hated the loooooong enemy waves that never seemed to end.

LiK

I may agree with you after I replay it, again, but for me I always hated the loooooong enemy waves that never seemed to end.

Bluepoint did a great job rebalancing the enemies in UC1. The pirates are no longer bullet sponges so most combat areas ended way faster than in original version. I think that's probably why the game went by so fast for me this time. Really enjoyed it and I was surprised how much of the game I remembered. It all came back to me, heh

Uncharted 2 has way to many shootouts towards the end just before Shambala, I actually liked Shambala and the smurfs, not loved it but liked it.

Bluepoint did a great job rebalancing the enemies in UC1. The pirates are no longer bullet sponges so most combat areas ended way faster than in original version. I think that's probably why the game went by so fast for me this time. Really enjoyed it and I was surprised how much of the game I remembered. It all came back to me, heh

Agreed. The rebalancing and new shooting help tremendously. Replayed it in two sittings a couple of weeks ago and it was a lot of fun.

3rdbass

Banned

Funny I find U2 to be the perfect pacing. I'm about to go and finish the lass boss battle(Which I remember to be a chore when playing PS3 version). I didn't finish it on crushing in the remastered collection before starting UC4. I do love the story of UC1 even if the pacing is off somewhat. Definitely the shortest game of the 4. I'm just dreading playing UC3 in the remastered version. I really hated the Nathan drake sections of that game. It felt more like a chore than fun game play. I do like the Ship graveyard part which basically has the open encounters that are all in UC4.

I would say the only beat in the story that didn't completely work for me was (Fairly late game spoilers):
When that old lady dies right in front of Nathan and Sam as police are coming, forcing them to adopt a new identity. When it was revealed in Uncharted 3 that his real name wasn't Drake and that he was in an orphanage, my head-canon was that Nate adopted the "descendant of Sir Francis Drake" persona as a coping/survival mechanism while in the orphanage. I think making it into an identity taken out of necessity lessens the character's agency slightly, and I think that whole sequence is pretty contrived. Of course she dies right as the police are on the way.

Impulsor

Uncharted 2 has way to many shootouts towards the end just before Shambala, I actually liked Shambala and the smurfs, not loved it but liked it.

Awesome to read this because I did not finish UC1 remastered.

So yeah, I'm playing the three remastered versions that I have backlogged after I plat this.

I would say the only beat in the story that didn't completely work for me was (Fairly late game spoilers):
When that old lady dies right in front of Nathan and Sam as police are coming, forcing them to adopt a new identity. When it was revealed in Uncharted 3 that his real name wasn't Drake and that he was in an orphanage, my head-canon was that Nate adopted the "descendant of Sir Francis Drake" persona as a coping/survival mechanism while in the orphanage. I think making it into an identity taken out of necessity lessens the character's agency slightly, and I think that whole sequence is pretty contrived. Of course she dies right as the police are on the way.

You know, I really don't think that they did it out of necessity though, they just loved the idea of it.

Yeah I didn't care for the change too.
Him being so obsessed with Sir Francis enough to tie himself to the story and wanting to reach the same greatness was better backstory then "lol guess we can't be Morgans anymore. But hey mom's theory sounds pretty cool, what if we were his descendents"

LiK

Funny I find U2 to be the perfect pacing. I'm about to go and finish the lass boss battle(Which I remember to be a chore when playing PS3 version). I didn't finish it(remastered collection) before starting UC4. I do love the story of UC1 even if the pacing is off somewhat. Definitely the shortest game of the 4. I'm just dreading playing UC3 in the remastered version. I really hated the Nathan drake sections of that game. It felt more like a chore than fun game play. I do like the Ship graveyard part which basically has the open encounters that are all in UC4.

Yea, I still hated the UC2 last boss. I wouldn't mind how long it was if it weren't for the lack of checkpoints between him screaming at me. I dunno how people beat him on Crushing. It wasn't fun.

As for UC3, my opinion of it actually went down after replaying it. Still enjoyed the story more than some people but the combat encounters were really bad. When you die in some combat arenas, they would put you right in a spot surrounded and it's like a death trap. Enemies were pretty aggressive even on Moderate. Much tougher game than UC1/UC2. Of course, it still had some of the most impressive setpieces in the series.

History repeats once again.

Game received all the 10s and then some, we laughed at the guy who gave it an 8 and, in the end, the game, while fantastic, still has flaws like the horrible pacing, tedious climbing and continuous crate pushing.

Gaming journalists strike again, every single time.

Game received all the 10 and then some, a few laughed at the IGN 8.8, in the end, the game, while having flaws like every other damn game ever created, still was loved by the vast majority of people in this OT thread.

However, some people have been disappointed and feel marginalized in a sea of positive impressions. A number of these people are lashing back at what they perceive as undeserved critical praise by calling out the reviewers.

The vocal minority strikes again, every single time.

Yeah I didn't care for the change too.
Him being so obsessed with Sir Francis enough to tie himself to the story and wanting to reach the same greatness was better backstory then "lol guess we can't be Morgans anymore. But hey mom's theory sounds pretty cool, what if we were his descendents"

You can still tell yourself that story though, I do, U4 doesn't neglect that story, it just doesn't develop it. I can think that those little moments in the franchise when Nate have some feelings towards the Drake's ring
it's a sentiment towards his mother rather than his passion on Francis Drake himself.

Yea, I still hated the UC2 last boss. I wouldn't mind how long it was if it weren't for the lack of checkpoints between him screaming at me. I dunno how people beat him on Crushing. It wasn't fun.

There was a glitch/cheese mechanic that you could use. Only way I got through it on Hard and then Crushing. I hate UC2's last boss with a passion.

Impulsor

You can still tell yourself that story though, I do, U4 doesn't neglect that story, it just doesn't develop it. I can think that those little moments in the franchise when Nate have some feelings towards the Drake's ring
it's a sentiment towards his mother rather than his passion on Francis Drake himself.

Maybe even his love for Francis Drake is born because of his mother too, so it would kinda be double awesome because the feelings nathan has towards the ring are both because of his mother and because Francis Drake.

As for UC3, my opinion of it actually went down after replaying it. Still enjoyed the story more than some people but the combat encounters were really bad. When you die in some combat arenas, they would put you right in a spot surrounded and it's like a death trap. Enemies were pretty aggressive even on Moderate. Much tougher game than UC1/UC2. Of course, it still had some of the most impressive setpieces in the series.

I think they made enemies more aggressive to counter the fact that you can throw back grenades. Despite this ability it's the game that forces you to move around the most because of how much enemies come at you.
Overall I actually slightly prefer UC3 over UC2 but I'm not getting into that again lol.

LiK

I think they made enemies more aggressive to counter the fact that you can throw back grenades. Despite this ability it's the game that forces you to move around the most because of how much enemies come at you.
Overall I actually slightly prefer UC3 over UC2 but I'm not getting into that again lol.

Heh, I remember that debate from just a few days ago so yea, it's fine. Just commenting on my experience replaying the trilogy 2 weeks ago. Everyone has their own favorites in the series.

Curufinwe

Game received all the 10s and then some, we laughed at the guy who gave it an 8 and, in the end, the game, while fantastic, still has flaws like the horrible pacing, tedious climbing and continuous crate pushing.

Gaming journalists strike again, every single time.

I know it's hard to deal with the fact that the flaws you think are a huge deal are not problems for most people. But try.

EktorOni

Finished the game, and after sleeping on it, waking up and thinking it some more, I give Uncharted 4 a 9 out of 10. At most parts, it IS the best Naughty Dog game I have ever played.

It's seriously refined in its traversal mechanics, the climbing being the most improved mechanic from past games (elegant is the word, here), and the rope being its most fun. Shooting-wise, it feels wilder aiming-wise, and it clashes a bit with the more constrained philosophy of the game design being showcased here. Still, the shooting feels great, impactful and the weapons are varied and fun. But what really sticks out is the storytelling.

The storytelling in Uncharted 4 is, bar none, the best Naughty Dog has ever done. I'm not talking about the 'plot' and 'characters', here... I'm talking about how they *tell* the story. The game is simply seamless. There is no separation worthy of mentioning between the story being told and game being played; both, the story and the game, feel one and the same.

And that *is* incredible. They finally fulfilled what they started with Uncharted 1, and refined -almost- to perfection with The Last of Us.

Now, I prefer both the tone, 'plot', pacing and characterization in The Last of Us, but it's a matter of -preference-. I could see someone absolutely preferring everything here. It's a remarkable achievement for storytelling in games, and that's why Naughty Dog remains my absolute favorite developer in the industry. The way they intermingle video game genres in order to *tell* a story, so fluidly and unashamedly, is worthy of all the praise in the world. One minute classic point-and-click adventure game, the other high-octane third person shooter, the other a quiet, contemplative driving game... It's crazy what they do, in terms of playing with gaming conventions.

My only problem with this game is simple: it ran far too long in a few moments during its third act. Trimming down games is something I hadn't thought about as a serious concept, until today... And I truly believe it is the direct result of what I explained two paragraphs ago.

The storytelling being such an integral part of the gameplay experience meant that they, too, needed to see their traversal and exploration moments as "editable", and not as "absolutely essential" (same as they did combat). Now, this feeling only crept on me sparingly during the third act of the game, but when it did, I felt it in my heart and couldn't pinpoint what it was immediately. As I reflect on it, it's easier to identify and say that this game could've seen a good hour of it being trimmed down. I get that some of these "overlong" moments could've been intentionally developed in the hopes of enriching the character experience -and- journey during that moment in the story, but that's something a second playthrough should clarify.

But aside from that, and an over-reliance on what I should label as "Naughty Dog conventions"
("push this block to climb higher"; "here, let me give you a boost"; "help me getting this piece of rubble out of the way", etc.)
, the wait was absolutely worth it. A master class in interactive storytelling by some of the most talented folks in the industry, and it certainly helps me define why I play video games today, and will continue playing them in hopes of encountering similar (or better) experiences in the future.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Go play Far Cry, Dying Light or ROTR, even TLOU. Is it that hard to understand that some people don't care or are just tired of crafting, upgrades and looting shit? I'd rather find a journal entry than some worthless junk to upgrade my weapon with some shitty scope or a damage boost, in a Tomb Raider game I don't want to upgrade shit or level up Lara fucking Croft, I want to explore, jump and solve puzzles, if I want to play a RPG lite I will play one of the thousand RPG lites on the market (basically most of the AAA releases of the last few years).

At least Uncharted did the right thing and put all of that in the multiplayer, while Tomb Raider couldn't and turned the franchise into yet another shitty checklist Ubisoftish game with half-assed, barely relevant RPG mechanics.

That's not what Uncharted is, get over it. Plenty of alternatives out there.
Uncharted is also not a slow paced game full of quiet moments but UC4 is certainly designed that way...Uncharted doesn't necessarily need crafting mechanics but it most definitely needed some form of player/mechanic progression, the game introduces mechanics incredibly early on and those mechanics are not expanded on at all, you're doing the same stuff at the end as you are in the beginning, rope swinging in the first chapter is exactly the same as rope swinging the second time with no additional challenge that it becomes mind numbing. The MP definitely doesn't have any form of mechanic or player progression at all either unless you count incredibly contextual perks as player progression. Tomb Raider HAS exploration, jumping, and puzzle solving AND player progression in a globe trotting campaign. And you know what, for all the stuff borrowed from TLOU, the player progression would've worked wonders here because these environments are mostly for eye candy and nothing else. Imagine being able to get a better rope and access new parts of the environment during encounters. No one would complain about that at all and it would provide a better incentive for "exploring" than possibly finding a journal entry or treasures or one of the two optional conversations in each chapter, (seriously the majority of them only have two). And i'd certainly prefer that over "push this block."

Maybe even his love for Francis Drake is born because of his mother too, so it would kinda be double awesome because the feelings nathan has towards the ring are both because of his mother and because Francis Drake.

Absolutely, it makes me want to replay some parts of Drake's Fortune and Deception just to play those moments again and see if it works! I'm sure it will.

Funny I find U2 to be the perfect pacing. I'm about to go and finish the lass boss battle(Which I remember to be a chore when playing PS3 version). I didn't finish it on crushing in the remastered collection before starting UC4. I do love the story of UC1 even if the pacing is off somewhat. Definitely the shortest game of the 4. I'm just dreading playing UC3 in the remastered version. I really hated the Nathan drake sections of that game. It felt more like a chore than fun game play. I do like the Ship graveyard part which basically has the open encounters that are all in UC4.

Funnily enough I played the first 4 chapters of Uncharted 3 yesterday and I loved the drake sections. I actually found the young drake climbing to be fun where in UC4 I found it be more of a chore. Maybe it's just the amount you do. Also UC3 has some pretty good music. I loved the young Drake Columbia music and I realized I didn't really have any standouts in UC4 besides a couple of combat themes.

LiK

After playing UC1, there is one major plot hole that they never explained in UC2:
Drake left the ring with Francis' corpse. So not sure how he magically got it back for all future sequels

Top Bottom