• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 4: A Thief's End |OT| You're gonna miss this ass

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
This game made me move around the environments more then say a game like Quantum Break where I think the purpose was to make a very mobile shooter.
It didn't for me personally. Probably because aside from forced combat enemies in the majority of encounters had their neck snapped before they knew I was there.

1. It does.

2. The Last of Us is primarily a survival horror and action adventure whereas Uncharted is action adventure platformer.

Chucking bottles in Uncharted 4 to attract attention? No thanks.
1. It really doesn't because the things that give it mobility are so contextual and spread few and far between. I never had to kill guys via sliding like in those demos. Actually astounded at how little I felt I needed to use melee.

2. Action adventure platformers can have much deeper mechanics than this. This isn't a deep game at all.

And for the love of god really with that last sentence? I mean really?

nib95

Banned
That's the thing is that it really doesn't have that much mobility over other shooters unless you're solely hanging out by contextual gameplay points like places where you can rope swing. ND had better stealth in their last game too so I don't see the excuse here. Especially since I straight up stealthed through the entire level. not every combat arena has mud or water, the majority of them don't, the majority of combat arenas have at most two sections where you can swing with a rope.

It has considerably more mobility options than pretty much every other shooter. There's literally several ways to get to most platforms and segments. Via windows, climbing ridges, ledges, bricks, platforms, the ropeswing or whatever else. There's usually also multiple different points of verticality and layering as well, be it in Scotland, Italy, the Jungle, Libertalia, the Ship Graveyard etc. Even regarding stealth, you don't have to use only long grass, you can use the traversal, climbing, cover etc options to stay out of sight too.

Loris146

It didn't for me personally. Probably because aside from forced combat enemies in the majority of encounters had their neck snapped before they knew I was there.

1. It really doesn't because the things that give it mobility are so contextual and spread few and far between. I never had to kill guys via sliding like in those demos. Actually astounded at how little I felt I needed to use melee.

2. Action adventure platformers can have much deeper mechanics than this. This isn't a deep game at all.

Thank god.

Played and finished it yesterday. What a tremendous fight between the
wrecked ships
, disappointing
end boss fight
and an absolutely amazing
epilogue

All in all with the amount of quality in the writing and the presentation value being sky high, the lovely banter between the characters and especially between
Nate and Elena
nearing the final chapters, I firmly believe Uncharted 4 is close to The Last of Us and even exceeding it in some parts.

Naughty Dog is an unmatched developer in this day and age. There is no developer that comes close to their substantial quality increase with each and every title. I can't wait for The Last of Us sequel.

CrossingEden, your argument sort of falls apart the moment you realise stealth is merely an additive feature of the combat, not a defining or prominent one, unlike say MGS or Hitman. The difference is, whilst stealth might be a little less comprehensive than those games where it is the core focus, it's still there, completely optional and extremely functional. What UC4 has over other shooters however, is far more options and mechanical complexity with respect to mobility and dynamic traversal, which is promoted not only by the super layered, complex and rich level design, but also the number of available options, from general platforming and climbing, the ropeswing, the mud sliding, underwater swimming etc, which can all be transitioned to and from, dynamically and fluidly mid combat. This on top of contextual melee and general cover shooting mechanics too.

Everyone just stop feeding the trolls. Crossing Eden is also in the graphics thread downplaying the graphics of UC4 also. Funny thing is they are comparing the graphics to high end pc, not realizing the irony. Dude really has it out for Uncharted. I think he is losing sleep over it. lmao.

Also a lot of animation reels on vimeo.

Why're you talking about story here when my posts have nothing to do with the story. And who in the world said I don't like the game? Please quote me saying that. No really i'll wait.

If you're gonna have this amount of empty space than yea maybe it's a good idea to expand on the mechanics so that it isn't as grating on

You say that as if i'm a super huge fan of TR. I'll humor you, no, I don't want it to turn into space combat, I do however want the last stretch of the game to actually be more challenging, (you know besides more enemies with slightly better weapons) and for the mechanics to not be exactly the same and used in the exact same ways. The player has way more options for stuff like stealth by the end of Tomb Raider, they don't in UC4 and the existing mechanics in TR are expanded upon as well.

Yes it really is. During stealth, if you want to continue stealthing you can't use weapons aside form marking enemies, things like ledge grabs and rope swings are few and far between as well as completely contextual, you can't lure enemies over to your position or to another position, you can't manually hide bodies, the same tactics will work in the end game versus the first time the game introduces you with the stealth mechanics in chapter 6, even with the added ability to use the rope, the majority of kills are gonna be ledge grabs and neck snaps. I'd even settle for dynamic enemy placements.

You seem to be losing a lot of sleep over this game not being a Tomb Raider game. Like i said maybe just stick to playing Tomb Raider and let the fans of Uncharted play uncharted. You don't see me in a Tomb Raider OT complaining that Tomb Raider is not Uncharted. Bro get a grip.

vpance

Been taking my time with this. After I got to Madagascar I've been in photo mode a lot.

Encountered this weird glitch on the first run through the jeep sequence. I was having too much fun sliding in the mud and didn't climb up to the truck, but I also ran out of ammo. Guys kept shooting at me but I seemed invincible. I restarted to fix it but I wonder how far I could've gotten.

Shin-chan

Is there a single other action shooter that offers as much or more mobility options as Uncharted 4 when tackling combat scenarios?

I honestly can't think of one. Tomb Raiders action is very much "hunker down in cover" and is pretty terrible (and it's traversal doesn't go beyond what Uncharted offers), most other games are more "realistic" or "tactical" games (e.g. the Division) where it wouldn't make sense.

I guess I just don't see the criticism. There's a lot of ways to approach the environment, and just because there isn't a rope anchor on every single corner that doesn't change.

Also, it's been said before but Uncharted isn't a stealth game it's an action game which gives you a stealth lite option because it makes logical sense within its world for Drake to want to move unnoticed and for the enemy to not automatically be aware of his location. It's used to help the other aspects of the level design by giving you more options of how to approach the encounters rather just having to face a wall of enemies at every turn.

I can't fathom how people are disappointed by the soundtrack in this one. It's honestly incredible, might like it just as much as 2's. Crazy how this is by far Henry Jackman's best work.
Me neither. I thought people would be bringing up how good it was. I played through 1-3 again when the collection released and I can't recall anything standing out that's way better than anything in 4.

I don't think I'll play the collection again anytime soon but when I do I'll have to keep this discussion in mind.

That's the thing is that it really doesn't have that much mobility over other shooters unless you're solely hanging out by contextual gameplay points like places where you can rope swing. ND had better stealth in their last game too so I don't see the excuse here. Especially since I straight up stealthed through the entire level. not every combat arena has mud or water, the majority of them don't, the majority of combat arenas have at most two sections where you can swing with a rope.

Uncharted 4 doesn't have more mobility over other shooters?

Well, that's just objectively wrong. It provides some of the most mobility in any action-adventure game around.

Why do people bother with these kinds of arguments when they are truly factually incorrect?

You have such a problem with Uncharted clearly.

Is there a single other action shooter that offers as much or more mobility options as Uncharted 4 when tackling combat scenarios?

I honestly can't think of one. Tomb Raiders action is very much "hunker down in cover" and is pretty terrible (and it's traversal doesn't go beyond what Uncharted offers), most other games are more "realistic" or "tactical" games (e.g. the Division) where it wouldn't make sense.

I guess I just don't see the criticism. There's a lot of ways to approach the environment, and just because there isn't a rope anchor on every single corner that doesn't change.

Also, it's been said before but Uncharted isn't a stealth game it's an action game which gives you a stealth lite option because it makes logical sense within its world for Drake to want to move unnoticed and for the enemy to not automatically be aware of his location. It's used to help the other aspects of the level design by giving you more options of how to approach the encounters rather just having to face a wall of enemies at every turn.

The funny thing at the people cricitizing the stealth in the game is that there are at least 3 or 4 instances in the game where you can quite brilliantly use stealth to completely avoid combat.

And that includes swinging between buildings, jumping over crevasses, and diving underwater to avoid detection. Sometimes all three are involved if you get creative.

And that's avoiding like 15+ enemies through very wide areas all at once. A game with such large levels, that are so multi-tiered, that can offer that...... it's not even a valid criticism. It's just nitpicking disingenuously and it's objectively false.

It's amazing that a game can offer so much in combat, and yet so many enthusiastic detractors will, rather shamelessly, try to pretend those features don't even exist or that the level design isn't up to par.

It's inventive, that's for sure. But it's just so false and disingenuous to the point I don't even believe they deserve responses.

You seem to be losing a lot of sleep over this game not being a Tomb Raider game. Like i said maybe just stick to playing Tomb Raider and let the fans of Uncharted play uncharted. You don't see me in a Tomb Raider OT complaining that Tomb Raider is not Uncharted. Bro get a grip.

Pretty much.

Xeilyn

Just beat the game, what an amazing experience. While i think Uncharted 2 had a bigger impact on me this is definitely the most complete game in the series where ND use everything they've learned and perfect it. There are some slow moments that drag on a bit like
when they break into the old ladys house
but overall i loved the slower pace. The storytelling was excellent.

Incredible graphics and animation work. Some really spectacular locations and i said wow out loud several times.
Libertalia, the boat sequence with the islands, new devon etc.
ND's attention to detail is unmatched.

The characters were great, especially Elena.
Really liked Rafe as a villain, kinda wish Nadine got more screentime

The combat have been improved immensely and i love that you can stealth or skip almost every encounter if you want, there are less encounters than the previous games but i think thats a good thing.

I actually liked
the boss fight alot, Rafe looks so lifelike in this sequence

The ending
wasnt what i expected(Thought that someone would die)but it was good, loved the epilogue

Overall a really really good game and definitely one of the best ive ever played.

Well it saddens me to say, but this is going to be one of the few games that I start over immediately after finishing it because it's that damn good.

Nah man, wait a few months at least. I've seen a number of people not enjoying their second playthrough as much as they were expecting to. Not a knock on the game necessarily. Some games don't lend themselves to repeat playthrough's in a short span of time - the Last Of Us was like that for me personally. While you wait, play some multiplayer to help with your uncharted cravings!

Okay the
elevator
part is probably the shittiest section in the entire franchise. There just had to be some random frustrating section in the game, right? Goddamn I'm angry, lol.

I'll admit I didn't do too much sneaking around, almost always started a firefight in those encounters.

Nah man, wait a few months at least. I've seen a number of people not enjoying their second playthrough as much as they were expecting to. Not a knock on the game necessarily. Some games don't lend themselves to repeat playthrough's in a short span of time - the Last Of Us was like that for me personally. While you wait, play some multiplayer to help with your uncharted cravings!

It can be a bit frustrating on the second playthrough, because of some of the slow points.

And I mean the longer ones, but also the miniscule event ones that last even a second or so that make you wait before you can do your next input.

It's mainly because the player knows what is coming next. The good thing is many of the cutscenes can be skipped. I had to do a second playthrough for the < 6 hour trophy.

There's two puzzles in
chapter 11 i think, climbing the tower, and then solving the founders puzzle under the bell
that just feel tedious the second time.

Other than that it's pretty good for a second playthrough. On my third right now for the Crushing trophy.

tr1p1ex

It's a mix of fun and boring so far. (Chapter 19.)

Fun is the set pieces and climbing to an extent. And the banter while you're playing the game.

Boring is everything else (cutscenes, puzzles, excessive walking/slow driving/climbing.)

Daft Punk

Banned

Well, that's just objectively wrong. It provides some of the most mobility in any action-adventure game around.

Why do people bother with these kinds of arguments when they are truly factually incorrect?

He's doing the same thing in the graphics thread. Actually I'm noticing a lot of people are coming out to try and downplay UC4 now. Puzzling to say the least.

Have to share some dissapointments in terms of expectations (really minor stuff):

Set piece:
I was expecting an erupting volcano after Sully saying the volcano was extinct and was zero chance of eruption.

Enviroment: Considering the E3 Teaser (the one on the beach) I expected
a chapter at night on the jungle, It would have been awesome.

Fun fact: Have you seen the artwork on the game? it shows
Nate and Elena driving a boat through the jungle.

That was probably my favorite encounter haha

It's the only encounter that gave me the kind of linear creativity I was looking for in the entire game tbh. The wide arenas are fun too, but lack any distinct personality compared to each other (they all have stealth grass, rope points, snipers, and a cluttered multi level layout).

Nobody is trying to downplay anything stop being so defensive.

Bro you can't even say you think the art in Uncharted 4 is exceptional without responses like "well every game is exceptional now, and Uncharted 4 art really isn't that great anyway."

It's not being defensive. It's being honest. Like what universe we can't remark that a great looking game is a great looking game? Or some of the best we've seen, if it kind of is?

Unless you agree nothing is great about Uncharted 4, nothing is exceptional, nothing is really that great about anything Naughty Dog did with the game.... yea.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Bro you can't even say you think the art in Uncharted 4 is exceptional without responses like "well every game is exceptional now, and Uncharted 4 art really isn't that great anyway."

It's not being defensive. It's being honest. Like what universe we can't remark that a great looking game is a great looking game? Or some of the best we've seen, if it kind of is?

Unless you agree nothing is great about Uncharted 4, nothing is exceptional, nothing is really that great about anything Naughty Dog did with the game.... yea.

Who said you can't have your opinion? Show me one person who said you aren't allowed to have your opinion.

The funny thing at the people cricitizing the stealth in the game is that there are at least 3 or 4 instances in the game where you can quite brilliantly use stealth to completely avoid combat.

And that includes swinging between buildings, jumping over crevasses, and diving underwater to avoid detection. Sometimes all three are involved if you get creative.

And that's avoiding like 15+ enemies through very wide areas all at once. A game with such large levels, that are so multi-tiered, that can offer that...... it's not even a valid criticism. It's just nitpicking disingenuously and it's objectively false.

It's amazing that a game can offer so much in combat, and yet so many enthusiastic detractors will, rather shamelessly, try to pretend those features don't even exist or that the level design isn't up to par.

It's inventive, that's for sure. But it's just so false and disingenuous to the point I don't even believe they deserve responses.
I really don't get how people can be disappointed with the stealth. It's perfect for this type of game. Why do I need to throw a bottle or whistle when I have this mobility and vertical environments?

Who said you can't have your opinion? Show me one person who said you aren't allowed to have your opinion.

Opinions are one thing, as I said in another thread... there is a lack of sincerity. Can you explain your POV to other people that makes at least "some sense"? That's something else.

If you base an opinion on stuff like "Uncharted 4 isn't mobile compared to other similar games" well I think you got some people asking you questions, because that isn't just "in my opinion" wrong lol. That kind of statement is objectively wrong.

And truth is I don't see the same kind of people going into the ROTR thread and proclaiming just how ______ it is and blah blah. Sincerity and maturity is the word. And it's not just about not having anything nice to say. Criticisms of Uncharted 4 are welcome, but they need to be based in reality so other people can at least relate to what is being said.

Sincerity, that's all, is lacking.

1. See nib95's reply. The game is designed around accessible traversal and verticality. I used melee in almost every encounter.

2. You want RPG mechanics in an Uncharted game?

My last sentence was a crude example.

A game needs XP progression and ability system to convince people the gameplay is deep now... oh dear. Now we've done it.

We've destroyed videogames!

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Opinions are one thing, as I said in another thread... there is a lack of sincerity. Can you explain your POV to other people that makes at least "some sense"? That's something else.

If you base an opinion on stuff like "Uncharted 4 isn't mobile compared to other similar games" well I think you got some people asking you questions, because that isn't just "in my opinion" wrong lol. That kind of statement is objectively wrong.

And truth is I don't see the same kind of people going into the ROTR thread and proclaiming just how ______ it is and blah blah. Sincerity and maturity is the word. And it's not just about not having anything nice to say. Criticisms of Uncharted 4 are welcome, but they need to be based in reality so other people can at least relate to what is being said.

Sincerity, that's all, is lacking.

Again I think you're being defensive. You're acting if there us concerted effort to detract from uncharted and nothing else. First off uncharted is one of the biggest franchises there is so of course its going to draw big expectations so you can expect more opinions than other games. Second the game, whether you want to accept this or not, is pretty dramatically different in tone and feel from the other uncharted games. Its easy to understand why it would draw more criticism than the others in the series.

Personally its in the conversation for the best in the series, but I also think its a very flawed game in context of the series.

Again I think you're being defensive. You're acting if there us concerted effort to detract from uncharted and nothing else. First off uncharted is one of the biggest franchises there is so of course its going to draw big expectations so you can expect more opinions than other games. Second the game, whether you want to accept this or not, is pretty dramatically different in tone and feel from the other uncharted games. Its easy to understand why it would draw more criticism than the others in the series.

Personally its in the conversation for the best in the series, but I also think its a very flawed game in context of the series.

He's banned man, no need to reply to him

Crossing Eden

It has considerably more mobility options than pretty much every other shooter. There's literally several ways to get to most platforms and segments. Via windows, climbing ridges, ledges, bricks, platforms, the ropeswing or whatever else. There's usually also multiple different points of verticality and layering as well, be it in Scotland, Italy, the Jungle, Libertalia, the Ship Graveyard etc. Even regarding stealth, you don't have to use only long grass, you can use the traversal, climbing, cover etc options to stay out of sight too.
Again this is true but not really. Rope swing points are few and far between, (pretty sure only two encounters in scotland have it as an option),yes you can climb but that's more for movement more so than as a viable combat option. Really don't think the combat has as much depth as you are describing and trust me i've tried. There IS verticality, i'm not saying that there isn't at all, but I don't think it expands on the shooting bits as much as it could. I could upload some of my stealth only runs if you'd like to see because I've found a lot of good exploits with the contextual mechanics that are there.

I mentioned TR in that post because you keep bringing it up. And no, i'm not complaining that UC4 is not TR. FFS.

You can do a lot of things but if we're talking action adventure mechanically many other games in that genre have more mechanics, (again, due to player progression and even more open level design, which is really common in this gen, specifically a lot of examples in that one post a couple pages back.

Actually no I don't. But you know what, I do have a problem with a contigent of the UC fanbase believing that ANY criticism whatsoever is because I don't like the game, want it to be TR, have some agenda, etc. you included.

EDIT:Well that's that. .

Maybe if folk stopped painting UC4 as the be-all, end-all, there wouldn't be disagreement. Either its so far ahead of everything else or it's head and shoulders above everything else. We could use less hyperbole when talking about this game.

Lima

Naughty Dog should make a new Motorstorm. The jeep handling model in this game is better than in some of the racing games I've played over the years.

Or finally get on that Unkarted. I'm still waiting.

Naughty Dog should make a new Motorstorm. The jeep handling model in this game is better than in some of the racing games I've played over the years.

Or finally get on that Unkarted. I'm still waiting.
I'm really hoping we get an Unkarted multiplayer mode in the future.

Again this is true but not really. Rope swing points are few and far between, (pretty sure only two encounters in scotland have it as an option),yes you can climb but that's more for movement more so than as a viable combat option. Really don't think the combat has as much depth as you are describing and trust me i've tried.

I mentioned TR in that post because you keep bringing it up. And no, i'm not complaining that UC4 is not TR. FFS.

You can do a lot of things but if we're talking action adventure mechanically many other games in that genre have more mechanics, (again, due to player progression and even more open level design, which is really common in this gen, specifically a lot of examples in that one post a couple pages back.

Actually no I don't. But you know what, I do have a problem with a contigent of the UC fanbase believing that ANY criticism whatsoever is because I don't like the game, want it to be TR, have some agenda, etc. you included.

It's fine to criticize, but asking for a progression system in an Uncharted game is gonna be met with some people getting a bit defensive. Uncharted never had a progression system and it certainly doesn't need one now.

Fair enough. However, I do think that producing another Uncharted game in the same vein as Uncharted 2 or 3 without much iteration would have been a mistake. Having replayed the games through the collection, I absolutely felt that the series needed more freedom of movement, less constant setpieces and a bit more variety. It seems in that regard, U4 has delivered. Personally, I like this development. Adventure films and adventure books are not about constant violence, and I am interested in how big games can develop to balance violence with other elements as the medium continues to mature.

I don't think that it's completely true, I aknowledge that it add layers and has a bigger enfasis on emotions and character development, but the old Uncharted feel is still there, the jokes, the adventure, the fun between characters, it's all there. Is just more nuanced this time. To me it's quite better and it does it really well but I understand if someone thinks it isn't good at all.

Edit: What I don't understand is saying that the game doesn't feel like an Uncharted as if it's a completely different thing.

Crossing Eden

It's fine to criticize, but asking for a progression system in an Uncharted game is gonna be met with some people getting a bit defensive. Uncharted never had a progression system and it certainly doesn't need one now.
My first post wasn't even proposing that it straight up needs a progression system ala leveling up, just that it needs some form of progression mechanically aside from introducing a mechanic, and then never making it more than it was initially.

Uncharted doesn't necessarily need crafting mechanics but it most definitely needed some form of player/mechanic progression, the game introduces mechanics incredibly early on and those mechanics are not expanded on at all, you're doing the same stuff at the end as you are in the beginning, rope swinging in the first chapter is exactly the same as rope swinging the second time with no additional challenge that it becomes mind numbing

This is especially true on replays because aside from collecting there's not really a lot of incentive to explore imho so you end up going through the motions waiting for setpieces, cutscenes, and encounters. That post by RespectthySole perfectly outlined my entire criticism.

I think if they took 10% of the exploration and added it into the non-stop action/set pieces, this would be the definition of a perfect game (so far
just got into the island where Nate & Sam show up in chapter 1 in the boat where it's raining
)

Pace gets slowed down a little too much. This isn't TLOU, but Uncharted. I like the stealth elements but don't focus much on them because I miss the action from 30 minute - 1 hour exploration. I really like more emphasis on exploration, puzzles and platforming though. They're fun and the constant dialogue makes it feel organic and not a drag. I just wish for a slight adjustment.

Also, I think ND should have added a few paragraphs for each relic found. With no description, it feels lifeless and pointless. Don't know why they didn't get some intern to get all that info.

My first post wasn't even proposing that it straight up needs a progression system ala leveling up, just that it needs some form of progression mechanically aside from introducing a mechanic, and then never making it more than it was initially.

This is especially true on replays because aside from collecting there's not really a lot of incentive to explore imho so you end up going through the motions waiting for setpieces, cutscenes, and encounters. That post by RespectthySole perfectly outlined my entire criticism.

Okay now I understand your point more although I disagree, I never got bored of any of the mechanics in the game, didn't feel the need for anything to really advance. The core combat for me is so much fun, that I didn't feel anything was lacking during those scenarios. I wish the piton was used more in traversal though.

This is exactly what most fans want. I don't need Nate to grow gameplaywise in the game to feel rewarded, the adventure and my perform at the action is the reward.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
I don't think that it's completely true, I aknowledge that it add layers and has a bigger enfasis on emotions and character development, but the old Uncharted feel is still there, the jokes, the adventure, the fun between characters, it's all there. Is just more nuanced this time. To me it's quite better and it does it really well but I understand if someone thinks it isn't good at all.

It is significamtly different by the numbers period. Its easily the longest by almost double and yet it has the least kills in the series. It has a larger focus on story and the results of your actions than the others. It has more platforming than all of the others. It has far more focus on stealth than the others. It is a lot more serious and Nate is far more human. Its possible to interpret differently but I think the intention was clear and the numbers speak for themselves.

Fair enough. However, I do think that producing another Uncharted game in the same vein as Uncharted 2 or 3 without much iteration would have been a mistake. Having replayed the games through the collection, I absolutely felt that the series needed more freedom of movement, less constant setpieces and a bit more variety. It seems in that regard, U4 has delivered. Personally, I like this development. Adventure films and adventure books are not about constant violence, and I am interested in how big games can develop to balance violence with other elements as the medium continues to mature.

And that'd your opinion. On one hand I loved how thy portrayed it. The story telling was not nearly as deep when the game first started but we got more and more time with these characters and ND got better at telling their stories, so a lot of us who were fans from the beginning had expectations for something more.

On the other hand some people just saw Nate as an Indiana Jones/James bond type hybrid. A guy who is all about the thrill of the adventure and him and his wisecracking sidekick/mentor would travel the globe together. I really don't think making another balls to the wall action game (Nepal tank chase, helicopter on the roof, collapsing building, train opening, train helicopter battle, crumbling city escapr, etc.) Would've been a mistake at all and honestly I believe the original vision was likely more like that with hennig at the helm (speculation). To be fair a lot of that is here in uc4 and it certainly has a handful of impressive set pieces, but the balance is far more tilted on character specific moments and platforming sections. There is a ton more time spent just exploring such as when you're driving or the opening scene with
the scuba gear

Again I loved it all nonetheless but it definitely was conflicting given what the previous games had done in less time.

nib95

Banned
Again this is true but not really. Rope swing points are few and far between, (pretty sure only two encounters in scotland have it as an option),yes you can climb but that's more for movement more so than as a viable combat option. Really don't think the combat has as much depth as you are describing and trust me i've tried. There IS verticality, i'm not saying that there isn't at all, but I don't think it expands on the shooting bits as much as it could. I could upload some of my stealth only runs if you'd like to see because I've found a lot of good exploits with the contextual mechanics that are there.

It absolutely does. I've played through the campaign on both moderate and crushing, I've also replayed the encounters several times with the sole purpose of testing strategic options and analysing the complexity of the level design, and it's crazy impressive. I honestly can't think of another TPS that has this quality of arena design, and this breadth of mobility and approach.

There's a point fairly early on in the game in Scotland where I ended up spending half an hour or more exploring the vast multitude of platforming and traversal points outside the cathedral in the graveyard, hoping to find treasure. There were so many pillars, planks, nooks, crannies, platforms, structures, ledges etc, that all interconnected, to the extent that I was genuinely surprised. Not only did I not find any treasure, I realised this vast complex arena with all these points of convergence, was all done for the sole purpose of accommodating the impending gunfight. All that effort and environmental complexity that most won't even make use of or realise exists, for this one gunfight.

It is significamtly different by the numbers period. Its easily the longest by almost double and yet it has the least kills in the series. It has a larger focus on story and the results of your actions than the others. It has more platforming than all of the others. It has far more focus on stealth than the others. It is a lot more serious and Nate is far more human. Its possible to interpret differently but I think the intention was clear and the numbers speak for themselves.

That doesn't sound different to me, just bigger and maybe with a shifted focus but among the things the series is known for. But I guess I understand what you're trying to say, I wouldn't say "different" is the right word but ok, let's leave it at that. If I understand you correctly you're right, but it's up to the player to dig it or not.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
That doesn't sound different to me, just bigger and maybe with a shifted focus but among the things the series is known for. But I guess I understand what you're trying to say, I wouldn't say "different" is the right word but ok, let's leave it at that. If I understand you correctly you're right, but it's up to the player to dig it or not.

I'm confused you said exactly what I said in your post but also disagreed with me. The game has shifted focus from what its known for. That is exactly what I said from the beginning in terms of tone and focus.

Also yes its "bigger" but despite being the longest and largest in scope, it has significantly less kills than the others. Which again shows how the game had shifted quite a bit from the others.

Lima

So I'm only in chapter 11 and realized thanks to the stats that I already have 11 hours played. Even nicer is the stat "time spent standing still" which is over 3 hours lol. I really stop a lot and look at everything since it is so beautiful.

When I climbed to the top of that big ass tower in Madagascar I was like damn man I'm about to make that leap of faith into a haystack.

Top Bottom