• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 4: A Thief's End |OT| You're gonna miss this ass

Inspector Q

So yeah, really enjoyed this game. Played the Nathan Drake Collection a couple weeks ago and followed it up with this and have to say it was a great experience, overall.

The story was enjoyable and the voice acting was top notch as usual. Nolan North and Emily Rose knocked it out of the park, in my opinion. Really good chemistry between the two.

Still miffed that we can't unlock different characters to fool around with in the unlockable skins menu. That kind of sucks, but I will foolishly hope that they add it in at some future date in time. Yeah right, lol.

Anyways, do you guys think co-op will be storyline based? Like will it be a mini-campaign sort of thing or more of a replayable horde-mode/merc mode type of thing?

Also, will it be based on MP mechanics or SP mechanics? Like will it have interactive melee like SP or just the generic melee attacks of MP? Will it be game over when you lose all your health or will it have a down/revive system?

Obviously, no one can answer these questions, but it's just something I have been wondering.

I kind of wish we got some replayable mode in the same vein of mercenary/raid mode (Resident Evil) or those Riddler Revenge challenge maps in Arkham City. Basically a mode where you can unlock new maps and characters as you progress. New maps will have different enemy layouts and new characters would have unique loadouts.

But yeah, not sure others would be down for something like that. Either way, can't wait to see what direction they go with the single player story DLC. Should be high quality, as usual.

gamerMan

It's fine to criticize, but asking for a progression system in an Uncharted game is gonna be met with some people getting a bit defensive. Uncharted never had a progression system and it certainly doesn't need one now.

I don't even think it has to be a leveling up system. There is no progression at all in the gameplay. For example, you are basically doing the same thing over and over again with very little progression in the gameplay. Typically, games build on mechanics or introduce new ideas. It Uncharted you are basically doing the same segments over and over. You are shooting enemies, swinging on the rope, performing light platforming, walking, going through funneling chase sequence, pushing crates, or solving light puzzles. It's very formulaic with very little depth in any of the segments aside from the shooting. The worst part? None of this is challenging or requires any skill.

Naughty Dog could have easily introduced new enemy types, more gear aside from the rope, more weaponry, something other than crates, traversals with traps, smart puzzles, thrilling exploration, new types of combat, or even the ability to distract guards. For me, constantly watching the characters give each other boosts or push crates around isn't fun after awhile.

The more open combat in this game is so good that it makes the rest of the game feel dull.

Exploring has been so amazing this time around ,the conversations ,the sites,treasures, notes , point of interests an so on.

There is so much detail....I missed the most treasures (I'm in chapter 18 now). I will definitely play it again on crushing. Played the collection on crushing months ago and despite some rare frustrating encounters it was a lot of fun. The gameplay just feels different on crushing. Way more satisfying.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Okay now I understand your point more although I disagree, I never got bored of any of the mechanics in the game, didn't feel the need for anything to really advance. The core combat for me is so much fun, that I didn't feel anything was lacking during those scenarios. I wish the piton was used more in traversal though.
I definitely groaned when I saw yet another crate pushing segment.

This is exactly what most fans want. I don't need Nate to grow gameplaywise in the game to feel rewarded, the adventure and my perform at the action is the reward.
I don't think most fans would agree that this game has extensive replay value in terms of gameplay. I'm not just talking about encounters.

It absolutely does. I've played through the campaign on both moderate and crushing, I've also replayed the encounters several times with the sole purpose of testing strategic options and analysing the complexity of the level design, and it's crazy impressive. I honestly can't think of another TPS that has this quality of arena design, and this breadth of mobility and approach.

There's a point fairly early on in the game in Scotland where I ended up spending half an hour or more exploring the vast multitude of platforming and traversal points outside the cathedral in the graveyard, hoping to find treasure. There were so many pillars, planks, nooks, crannies, platforms, structures, ledges etc, that all interconnected, to the extent that I was genuinely surprised. Not only did I not find any treasure, I realised this vast complex arena with all these points of convergence, was all done for the sole purpose of accommodating the impending gunfight. All that effort and environmental complexity that most won't even make use of or realise exists, for this one gunfight.
I'd really like to see a video of this in practice because I'm really not seeing it, and I've done a mutitude of encounter replays.

nib95

Banned
I'd really like to see a video of this in practice because I'm really not seeing it, and I've done a mutitude of encounter replays.

If you have the game, why not just load up the chapter or encounter and see for yourself? The fact that you aren't aware of what I've described, is if anything just further evidence of just how expansive some of the arena design is. Hell there's even a hidden mudslide in that area that links around to the cliff/arena edge, connecting on to some structures further down. As I said in my post, I doubt most even realised the graveyard was as complex as it was, all for the purpose of accommodating that one gunfight.

Nobody is trying to downplay anything stop being so defensive.

You're being a bit naive, man :)
What the poster described happens with every high profile exclusive game to a certain extant. Neogaf is not free from fanboys of every persuasion, you should be aware of that by now.
Not naming names, but that guy who posted his 'gameplay impressions' of the game based on nothing more than watching the game (on youtube I presume), earlier in the thread is an example of what I'm talking about.

Strictly

On my second playthrough and just completed
the shipwreck segment and teamed back up with the gang;
and it dawned on me... There's no reason to continue playing. All that is left is more platforming, cutscenes, and
a simple boss fight/epilogue
Yet, there's at least an hour or two left in the game.

The replay on this game once the emotional and narrative impact of the game has worn of is very poor in comparison to U2 and 3.

Crossing Eden

If you have the game, why not just load up the chapter or encounter and see for yourself? The fact that you aren't aware of what I've described, is if anything just further evidence of just how expansive some of the arena design is. Hell there's even a hidden mudslide in that area that links around to the cliff/arena edge, connecting on to some structures further down. As I said in my post, I doubt most even realised the graveyard was as complex as it was, all for the purpose of accommodating that one gunfight.
I have and I really don't find it as deep as you're saying, mainly due to how contextual many of the mechanics are. The graveyard specifically is the encounter I've replayed the most because it was the most difficult to stealth through due to a lot of omissions like sound lures, silencers, and dragging bodies leading to enemies going on alert.

Jennipeg

The credits are rolling, I'm a bit emotional right now, that ending was so perfect. I think I loved the game more and more as I progressed, I certainly didn't feel like it dragged. Except for the chapter with Sam at the beginning climbing the rooftops, that was oddly long, but apart from that I just soaked it all in and the time just flew by! I clocked in at 19 hours in the end. I only got 41 collectables, and 17 journal entries, so lot's to do.

I did not think I could love Elena any more than I did already, but she was fantastic in this game. I'd love an Elena spinoff, I could see her as a journalist in a point and click adventure or something, just more Elena please!

I stealthed most of the game and really enjoyed it, but towards the end I went in guns blazing and now I actually feel like I missed out on some of the earlier encounters by choosing stealth. The shooting in this is just so fun, I will definitely try a more direct approach at some point. Stealth is the way for my crushing run.

Everything came together so well in the end story wise, now that I know the whole story it will be interesting to experience the game minus my suspicions of certain characters.

Also, I think ND should have added a few paragraphs for each relic found. With no description, it feels lifeless and pointless. Don't know why they didn't get some intern to get all that info.

I kind of agree with this. Would have at least made getting the treasures a bit more interesting than just looking at them. Hell, they could have gone more of a humorous route and the paragraphs be a bit funny with Nate commenting on what he found. I would have been fine with some historical information, too though.

Loudninja

There is so much detail....I missed the most treasures (I'm in chapter 18 now). I will definitely play it again on crushing. Played the collection on crushing months ago and despite some rare frustrating encounters it was a lot of fun. The gameplay just feels different on crushing. Way more satisfying.
Yeah I am missing alot so far I think I am on chapter 12 or 13.

usp84

Just finished it!16 hours of greatness!

I just loved the ending.No better way to close the series!I never thought i would like it this much but in the end i am totally satisfied.

For me it is the best Uncharted but TLOU remains the best they have done in the last years.

I am a PC gamer. My PS4 sits in a drawer collecting dust. I have $25 PSN credit on my account.

Is it worth it to hook up my PS4 to purchase and download this game? I've only ever played Uncharted 2, but I watched a playthrough of 3 and I pretty much know what happened in 1.

Ascenion

Just saying imo, TR with a progression system has equal or lesser replay value than U4 without one. U4's replay problem is the boring sections and poor distribution of combat segments. Uncharted never has and does not need arbitrary progression. TR's problem is that on a replay I have to relevel all my crap again and build my weapons and other things which honestly doesn't matter since if you shoot it in the head it dies. Progression systems (XP, gear) solve nothing imo.

I am a PC gamer. My PS4 sits in a drawer collecting dust. I have $25 PSN credit on my account.

Is it worth it to hook up my PS4 to purchase and download this game? I've only ever played Uncharted 2, but I watched a playthrough of 3 and I pretty much know what happened in 1.

With what you're saying I could guess that you're not a fan but probably think that it's a fun franchise. If that's what you're looking or expecting with 4 then go ahead. I don't think it could be the best thing in the world for you so don't go with those expectations.

That's what I gather with so little info.

I have and I really don't find it as deep as you're saying, mainly due to how contextual many of the mechanics are. The graveyard specifically is the encounter I've replayed the most because it was the most difficult to stealth through due to a lot of omissions like sound lures, silencers, and dragging bodies leading to enemies going on alert.

I believe this is the area nib95 is suggesting you to play through again:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BRYlT4lxk-c&t=7m42s

Could you elaborate on the bolded and provide examples of deep non contextual mechanics in other action adventure third person shooters.

Zemm

Nah man, wait a few months at least. I've seen a number of people not enjoying their second playthrough as much as they were expecting to. Not a knock on the game necessarily. Some games don't lend themselves to repeat playthrough's in a short span of time - the Last Of Us was like that for me personally. While you wait, play some multiplayer to help with your uncharted cravings!

The game kind of fell apart for me on a replay. It got so boring. Obviously it's good the first time you go through but this game definitely doesn't have the replay value of UC2 & 3 as well as TLoU, all of which I recently replayed.

Just hit chapter 15. Jees the graphics are unlike anything I've ever seen. It just continually wows and the wows get greater as the game goes on. Stunning just describe it In enough detail. Having a blast with it.

Would have liked more puzzles perhaps and gunfights are rather few and far between so would have liked more of those too but it takes you on an amazing adventure throughout. So far I'm enjoying this a heck of a lot more than 3 and defo up there with 1 and 2 for greatness.

Only got 28 treasures so far :/ felt is picked more up but wow have I missed a fair load.

I mean for $35 that's one hell of a steal.

Again this is true but not really. Rope swing points are few and far between, (pretty sure only two encounters in scotland have it as an option),yes you can climb but that's more for movement more so than as a viable combat option.

? Rope swing points are everywhere in the game. Most of the combat areas have them. Maybe not as much in Scotland because that's the first time you get unhindered access to the Rope but from Madagascar on they are all over the place.

Did the boat set piece at the very beginning do it for you guys?

It didn't do it for me to be honest. Just felt really awkward.

Absolutely. I loved it. Wished you could replay it again at the appropriate point in the game.

nib95

Banned

Lol, you've literally just gone back to square one, and are continuously using a focus on only stealth to champion the false narrative that somehow UC4's combat is mechanically shallow. Read my posts again. The whole point of them was about how stealth, whilst not as complex as the stealth in stealth focused games, is only an additive and optional mechanism to tackling combat scenarios, and that the true complexity in the games combat is in the sheer number of strategic and traversal options afforded by both the incredible and layered level design, as well as the breadth of possible mechanics.

Just saying imo, TR with a progression system has equal or lesser replay value than U4 without one. U4's replay problem is the boring sections and poor distribution of combat segments. Uncharted never has and does not need arbitrary progression. TR's problem is that on a replay I have to relevel all my crap again and build my weapons and other things which honestly doesn't matter since if you shoot it in the head it dies. Progression systems (XP, gear) solve nothing imo.

ROTTR was a huge disappointment for me. I loved the first game but the sequel...I don't know.
And I agree with your complaints on both games though I don't think UC4 has boring sections...just too much "slow walking". The first chapters (the slow intro) are pretty short compared to the rest of the game so I don't think it would affect the replay value (imo).
But there is one thing missing so far...the great humour of the first three games. I know it's the last game and they made it more serious but....I don't think it was the right decision. While the first chapters were very slow they were also the most funny parts of the game...so far at least.

Edit: What I wanted to say (I know it will backfire): There is too much Neil Druckmann (from TLOU) in UC4

Wagram

Running through those two gigantic environments kills my willingness to replay RoTR. Hours spent collecting for almost zero reason. Great game, but those two areas were a mistake.

Seems like I'm a chapter or two away from finishing it. I definitely think it's time to lay this series to rest. The locations are beautiful, the dialogue is charming, but the gameplay is beyond stale. Like to the point where I feel like it was a pretty hollow and ultimately unfullfilling experience. I don't know...maybe it's just the last third of the game.

I look forward to going back to Star Fox Zero or maybe picking up Doom to get my gameplay fix for now and returning to U4 in a few months with a fresh set of eyes.

Stiler

I finally beat the game last night, and overall I loved the game but felt the later half dragged on a bit too much in terms of padding it out.

Still the scale of the game, the writing, the characters and the story really came through and made me really enjoy the game.

I have long felt the earlier games focused too much on combat and fighting and this game (imo) I felt brought the story and character interactions more to the forefront.

I would have liked to have had more puzzles, or at least more difficult puzzles. That was the main area that felt a little lacking in this game. The puzzles were few and far between and most were not difficult at all, especially since your journal basically told you the answer to it without having to piece things together yourself.

Overall I felt this game had the better story of the Uncharted series and some great touching moments too.

Regarding the ending:
I have seen people say they are let down by it or didn't like it because "x" character didn't die or something bad didn't happen. I have to disagree.

The fact that we got a happy ending is one I am thankful for. In this day and ago soooooooooo many games (and movies) do the 'twist' endings or the "sad" endings with a character perishing. It's become expected.

Look at Indiana Jones, classic movies and all of them had happy endings. No one major died in them and the hero walked away at the end. It doesn't make a story "Bad" if it ends happy, and I felt that the ending fit perfectly with this game series.

Also the epilogue was a great touch, moving forward and showing their life afterwards as well as having the potential for someone new to come in and lead the series going forward.

Also I can't be the only one that part way expected some kind of Tomb Raider crossover? I mean earlier in the game when you're exploring that old woman's mansion, am I the only one that expected to find out it was croft manor or something? I felt like that could have been a huge crossover potential, especially since Uncharted is obviously heavily inspired by TR, it would have been a nice touch and nod to just have a little connection between the series, though maybe I am alone in thinking this.

ROTTR was a huge disappointment for me. I loved the first game but the sequel...I don't know.
And I agree with your complaints on both games though I don't think UC4 has boring sections...just too much "slow walking". The first chapters (the slow intro) are pretty short compared to the rest of the game so I don't think it would affect the replay value (imo).
But there is one thing missing so far...the great humour of the first three games. I know it's the last game and they made it more serious but....I don't think it was the right decision. While the first chapters were very slow they were also the most funny parts of the game...so far at least.

Edit: What I wanted to say (I know it will backfire): There is too much Neil Druckmann (from TLOU) in UC4

Yeah, the banter is not as good in this game.

I kind of agree with this. Would have at least made getting the treasures a bit more interesting than just looking at them. Hell, they could have gone more of a humorous route and the paragraphs be a bit funny with Nate commenting on what he found. I would have been fine with some historical information, too though.

I felt like this was sorely needed to make the treasures a bit more worthwhile especially since some of them are pretty well hidden.

Crossing Eden

? Rope swing points are everywhere in the game. Most of the combat areas have them. Maybe not as much in Scotland because that's the first time you get unhindered access to the Rope but from Madagascar on they are all over the place.
Combat arenas usually have one or two and the things you can do are mostly contextual, like taking people down with them. Imagine having a silencer and being able to headshot somebody from a distance undetected while swinging on a rope. That sounds glorious.

Lol, you've literally just gone back to square one, and are continuously using a focus on only stealth to champion the false narrative that somehow UC4's combat is mechanically shallow. Read my posts again. The whole point of them was about how stealth, whilst not as complex as the stealth in stealth focused games, is only an additive and optional mechanism to tackling combat scenarios, and that the true complexity in the games combat is in the sheer number of strategic and traversal options afforded by both the incredible and layered level design, as well as the breadth of possible mechanics.
Again I'd love to see this in practice. Just to use the graveyard as an example, yes there is a large play space afforded to the player in the graves and such, but, ALL of the enemies are by the upper part of it.

Ricky_R

I'm still stuck in the intro. I've played it three times now and I love it.

Don't want to pass the point where I don't go back until I finish the game. :(

Combat arenas usually have one or two and the things you can do are mostly contextual, like taking people down with them. Imagine having a silencer and being able to headshot somebody from a distance undetected while swinging on a rope. That sounds glorious.

You mean hanguing from a rope, no? Trying to stealth headshot from a swinging rope doesn't sound much like fun.

Anyway, that sounds more like Splinter Cell.

nib95

Banned
Again I'd love to see this in practice. Just to use the graveyard as an example, yes there is a large play space afforded to the player in the graves and such, but, ALL of the enemies are by the upper part of it.

There's a crap tonne of different structures, planks, walls etc that all interconnect to the top layers from the bottom area. You can use the broken building to the left (it's 3-4 floors high, but crumbled apart, each side has climbing spots, ledges, bricks etc that are scalable, and many link to other parts of the map) close to where you start, or climb any of the structures to the centre right, or even use the mudslide on the bottom right side to drop off the arena and scale the edge all the way back to the top right.

Crossing Eden

You mean hanguing from a rope, no? Trying to stealth headshot from a swinging rope doesn't sound much like fun.

Anyway, that sounds more like Splinter Cell.
I always enjoy being able to pull off fantastic feats during games. More so when no one is taking notice. Plus it'd be fun to do something other than just waiting for an enemy to get in place and then seeing the same two air takedown animations. Even more so with some of the cheats that are available, like bullet time.

There's a crap tonne of different structures, planks, walls etc that all interconnect to the top layers from the bottom area. You can use the broken building to the left (it's 3-4 floors high, but crumbled apart, each side has climbing spots, ledges, bricks etc that are scalable, and many link to other parts of the map) close to where you start, or climb any of the structures to the centre right, or even use the mudslide on the bottom right side to drop off the arena and scale the edge all the way back to the top right.
Or you could go towards the right, take out all enemies there, go back to the front, take out the three three there, go to the right, take out the dudes by the grass, then the three up top. None of that requires mudsliding whatsoever. Again, figuring out the "puzzle" there was more difficult than it should have been due to the mechanics in place or lack thereof.

Wollan

"Stage Fright" has to be the best trophy.

58b.jpg

Requires you
to stand still for 30 seconds at the start of the E3 2015 demo section.
When Bruce Straley (recognise pose?) had the game/controller freeze for half a minute and they had to bring up a backup system.

nib95

Banned
Or you could go towards the right, take out all enemies there, go back to the front, take out the three three there, go to the right, take out the dudes by the grass, then the three up top. None of that requires mudsliding whatsoever. Again, figuring out the "puzzle" there was more difficult than it should have been due to the mechanics in place or lack thereof.

Debating with you is often mind numbing. You could do what you just described, you could also instead do what I previously described (which was actually three different approaches in itself, but lets ignore that for a moment), you could even do a countless multitude of other things. That's the whole point. It's the multitude of traversal and approach options that make UC4's combat design so compelling and rich.

The only combat counter I have not liked in the game so far is Chapter 19
in the caves.
To remind you if you've forgotten the arena is basically a corridor. Coming off the amazing area design of nearly every single fight it was frustrating to keep dying when I didn't have nearly as many options (playing on hard). It didn't help that I didn't have a good weapon selection going into the fight. The armored shotgunner would just walk up and I couldn't do much to him.

Look at Indiana Jones, classic movies and all of them had happy endings. No one major died in them and the hero walked away at the end. It doesn't make a story "Bad" if it ends happy, and I felt that the ending fit perfectly with this game series.

Indiana Jones films are two hour long popcorn fests with a focus on adventure instead of character depth.

Uncharted 4 is definitely trying to be a more complex with its story and characters.
Seeing it wrap up with an Indiana Jones conclusion to a 15 hour game just feels like wasted potential.

neohwa

The only combat counter I have not liked in the game so far is Chapter 19
in the caves.
To remind you if you've forgotten the arena is basically a corridor. Coming off the amazing area design of nearly every single fight it was frustrating to keep dying when I didn't have nearly as many options (playing on hard). It didn't help that I didn't have a good weapon selection going into the fight. The armored shotgunner would just walk up and I couldn't do much to him.

It's easier this way for the devs to artificially make the game harder. You just start fresh in weapons/ammo selection every encounter. Some people love this kind of gameplay and some don't.

Finished the game and post-game. Sheeyit, I actually got feels for the first time in the series. Definitely the Uncharted game I won't mind replaying.

"Stage Fright" has to be the best trophy.

58b.jpg

Requires you
to stand still for 30 seconds at the start of the E3 2015 demo section.
When Bruce Straley (recognise pose?) had the game/controller freeze for half a minute and they had to bring up a backup system.

Pv5fzdm.jpg

They should've called it "The Bruce"

Top Bottom