• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 4: A Thief's End |OT| You're gonna miss this ass

The only combat counter I have not liked in the game so far is Chapter 19
in the caves.
To remind you if you've forgotten the arena is basically a corridor. Coming off the amazing area design of nearly every single fight it was frustrating to keep dying when I didn't have nearly as many options (playing on hard). It didn't help that I didn't have a good weapon selection going into the fight. The armored shotgunner would just walk up and I couldn't do much to him.

My least favorite is the one at the end of Chapter
14. It was poorly designed and there's like 3 or 4 armored shotgunners flanking you, multiple snipers and grenade spamming in an area with limited mobility.

neohwa

Is the Run the Table trophy glitched? I know I did it perfectly about 5 times & it's not popping for me.

No it's not glitched. just make sure they are really stealth, melee, headshot, and explosion within 15 secs in that order.

I have to repeat these like 7 times. It's actually pretty fun to do haha.

GOTY 2016 like I expected. ROTR getting mentioned here gives me a chuckle - specially it's nonsensical xp system.

I'm ok with Tomb Raider's XP system but I'm glad it's not in Uncharted. Not every video game needs light RPG elements. I'm actually hoping this trend dies down soon.

Does someone have a good dynamic gameplay video of some of the encounters in and around
Libertalia
?

Sometime I manage to make a few kills while quickly running, jumping and swinging, but I haven't managed to perfectly clear an area in an epic way, yet.

Okay the
elevator
part is probably the shittiest section in the entire franchise. There just had to be some random frustrating section in the game, right? Goddamn I'm angry, lol.

Damn. That was one of the best ones in the game to me. Fights like that and the
collapsed tower in New Devon
felt more unique than some of the other arenas. It reminded me of the
signpost
encounter in Uncharted 2.

Debating with you is often mind numbing. You could do what you just described, you could also instead do what I previously described (which was actually three different approaches in itself, but lets ignore that for a moment), you could even do a countless multitude of other things. That's the whole point. It's the multitude of traversal and approach options that make UC4's combat design so compelling and rich.

It's seriously not worth debating, you give him/her different explanations on how to approach a combat scenario and he/she keeps going back to or I could do it this way, well yes you can, but there are also different options.

These chapter 12 & 13 graphics, is it black magic!? Damn.... This game is by far my favorite UC after having replaced the UC1-3 collection. So much more polished then especially 1&3 and the story being much more grittier and darker than before is a big plus. Also UC4 Sully is the best Sully.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
These chapter 12 & 13 graphics, is it black magic!? Damn.... This game is by far my favorite UC after having replaced the UC1-3 collection. So much more polished then especially 1&3 and the story being much more grittier and darker than before is a big plus. Also UC4 Sully is the best Sully.
The graphics get better. I'm not joking.

Finished the game on moderate difficulty at 15.5 hours. Loved it, but still think they needed a lot more encounters in the game. Only one chapter in the entire game really had a sustained string of gunfights, and the middle of the game really needed them. Soley because of this, I think Uncharted 2 is still the best of the franchise, with the tightest and most pitch perfect pacing. If 4 had more combat and maybe slice out a tiny bit of some of the downbeat stuff in the beginning and chapter 16, it would be hands down the best of all of them. There are just so many superlative things about this game, which makes the disappointing aspect all the more disappointing. It doesn't even need as much combat as 2 relative to its length, but it definitely needed quite a bit more. That being said, the adventure side of the action/adventure coin has never been better and I loved all the improvements they made on that front.

RE the ending, I loved the
final boss fight. So good. Rafe is the best. The actual game itself ended a lot "safer" than I was expecting with Neil's comments. I was hoping for something a little more bittersweet, and I wasn't crazy about the epilogue even though it did give some nice nostalgia. I don't really like the aspect of the story in this one that the "Drakes" are a family of fortune hunters, from mother, to sons, and then finally to a daughter. Just feels a little hokey to me. But the story was pretty great for the most part, I loved how in depth the mystery was and how it was used to mirror the themes in Drake's own story. S'good stuff

Looking forward to replaying this at some point in the near future to see how my thoughts change. As crazy as it sounds the first time I played Uncharted 2 I was slightly disappointed as well, despite loving it and it's extensive improvements. I was just too busy comparing it to my idealized memory of the things I loved about Drake's Fortune at the time. Going back in with a clear head improved the experience a lot for me, and I'm hoping this one holds up over repeated playthroughs just as all of Naughty Dog's other games do for me.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
The discovery of Libertalia
and the initial exploration in it
has to be my favorite moment of the game. They took a page from TLOU there, but it worked. The slow
reveal/discovery of the secrets on the island makes the second half miles better than the first. I kinda see the first 11 chapters as a long prologue to the meat of the game now.

I'm thinking about not chapter selecting for the treasure cleanup, but do a second run on light mode. Now that I've glitched the crushing/speedrun stuff, I just have to get the platinum on this.

The actual game itself ended a lot "safer" than I was expecting with Neil's comments. I was hoping for something a little more bittersweet, and I wasn't crazy about the epilogue even though it did give some nice nostalgia.

You're right, I thought about that as well when I finished. I guess the only
risky thing in this game is the overall slower pace and lack of shoot-outs/setpieces. But regarding the story, Neil said to expect something 'bittersweet' iirc, but I don't see where the bitter is.

Also GAF don't kill me but after having replayed the collection I somehow prefer 30fps of UC4 when compared to the 60fps of the collection. Somehow it feels more serious and 60fps makes it look so.... gamey and almost a parody?

Not going to kill you, but I will say you're crazy :p

Also GAF don't kill me but after having replayed the collection I somehow prefer 30fps of UC4 when compared to the 60fps of the collection. Somehow it feels more serious and 60fps makes it look so.... gamey and almost a parody?

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I believe you cant wait to play more later.
I took almost 750 screens of the game in one playthrough LOL

I mentioned before that there's one segment I thought was just a flat piece of concept art for a texture, then I was able to walk right into it and explore. I had to put my controller down and take a breather.

has to be my favorite moment of the game. They took a page from TLOU there, but it worked. The slow
reveal/discovery of the secrets on the island makes the second half miles better than the first. I kinda see the first 11 chapters as a long prologue to the meat of the game now.

That's pretty much exactly how I feel.

Chobel

Made another short video, this time on Chapter 12.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5yOM28kZgaE

giphy.gif

Damn. That was one of the best ones in the game to me. Fights like that and the
collapsed tower in New Devon
felt more unique than some of the other arenas. It reminded me of the
signpost
encounter in Uncharted 2.

I don't know...it felt so random. You get shot from left an right...and from above. Grenades everywhere. Felt like a trial & error section to me. I know it's going to wreck me on crushing, lol.

Just did the tower, dat view!
It was a cool segment overall,
some climbing, a small but intense setpiece and some puzzle solving.
Shit's about to hit the fan but I had to call it a day. Damn it.

EL CUCO

The TLOU:R feel like a parody to you as well?

Not even going to bother addressing CE's comments. Some of the stuff is LOL-worthy.

Finished the game on moderate difficulty at 15.5 hours. Loved it, but still think they needed a lot more encounters in the game. Only one chapter in the entire game really had a sustained string of gunfights, and the middle of the game really needed them. Soley because of this, I think Uncharted 2 is still the best of the franchise, with the tightest and most pitch perfect pacing. If 4 had more combat and maybe slice out a tiny bit of some of the downbeat stuff in the beginning and chapter 16, it would be hands down the best of all of them. There are just so many superlative things about this game, which makes the disappointing aspect all the more disappointing. It doesn't even need as much combat as 2 relative to its length, but it definitely needed quite a bit more. That being said, the adventure side of the action/adventure coin has never been better and I loved all the improvements they made on that front.

This aligns closely with my views of the game as well, the biggest difference being that I can't put either 2 or 4 above the other. It's strange that this game has a very strong shot at being GotY but at the same time it may also be the disappointment of the year to me.

You're probably linking the artstyle to the framerate.

Wollan

Creamium said:
The second half is fantastically good. How the secrets gradually unveil and the mood changes is masterfully done. They take their time and comparisons can be made to Apocalypse Now or Heart of Darkness.

RE the ending, I loved the
final boss fight. So good. Rafe is the best. The actual game itself ended a lot "safer" than I was expecting with Neil's comments. I was hoping for something a little more bittersweet, and I wasn't crazy about the epilogue even though it did give some nice nostalgia. I don't really like the aspect of the story in this one that the "Drakes" are a family of fortune hunters, from mother, to sons, and then finally to a daughter. Just feels a little hokey to me. But the story was pretty great for the most part, I loved how in depth the mystery was and how it was used to mirror the themes in Drake's own story. S'good stuff

Looking forward to replaying this at some point in the near future to see how my thoughts change. As crazy as it sounds the first time I played Uncharted 2 I was slightly disappointed as well, despite loving it and it's extensive improvements. I was just too busy comparing it to my idealized memory of the things I loved about Drake's Fortune at the time. Going back in with a clear head improved the experience a lot for me, and I'm hoping this one holds up over repeated playthroughs just as all of Naughty Dog's other games do for me.

It's so close to being great that it frustrates me to play it, honestly. I've been feeling this more and more in the last few years. Games that are 1 or 2 design decisions away from being one of my all time favorite titles, but ultimately disappoint me like crazy.

Sighhhh videogames pls

Right now, I'm trying to do the
Peaceful Resolution
trophy in Chapter 13 and holy flying fuck this is INSANELY hard on Crushing to do.

The second half is fantastically good. How the secrets gradually unveil and the mood changes is masterfully done. They take their time and comparisons can be made to Apocalypse Now or Heart of Darkness.

The treasure hunt in this game is so good! Going through
Libertalia and New Devon
is a story within itself. Personally, I was much more engaged in it than any of the side stuff of The Last of Us.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup

Eeeh I don't know about that, isn't that a bit of a stretch? Maybe a very pulpy version then, because there's no character even remotely as complex as Kurtz

btw, did I read somewhere there were 2 neogaf easter eggs? I'm aware of the auction forum post print, but I haven't heard of the other one.

I'm redoing those chapters later on in Explorer for this trophy. Don't attempt it on Crushing.

I was literally about to get on the last pylon before the swing over to safety when I died...

And I've tried... at least 30 times by now? Hell, I did the same sort of trophy in Chapter 8 on Crushing.

Ricky_R

I mean... I don't mind 30fps, but come on now.

I'm going to assume joke post.

tr1p1ex

What I would have done with this game is hold back some of the mechanics in the beginning and parse them out gradually as the game progresses. The first climbing part would have been just climbing. Then the next part would have mixed in sliding. Then the climbing part after that would have mixed in the rope. Instead they gave the player everything at once except for a late game added climbing mechanic.

I think this would have made you feel like you're progressing towards an end and building on something. I think the game as is ... feels a bit flat. You're not really doing anything new in the end that you weren't doing in the beginning. I have great fun with the set pieces, but they don't feel much different.

Also I would have forced the player into different combat tactics more than the game did. The game is already forcing you to follow a certain path. I would have made the combat levels more linear or purposeful towards specific tactics. Start off with the hand to hand combat which they kind of did I guess. Then added pistols. Then the rifles. Then sniper rifle level. Then nades. Then forced you to sneak... by maybe taking away all your guns. Then force you to sneak and kill enemies without being detected. Then combined a few of these things and added in climbing into interesting yet deliberate ways. etc. You get the idea. And then, at the end, have a very open ended set piece that lets you do whatever you want. This would given the player a great sense of progression.

Instead they sort of suddenly let go of their "force feeding/follow this path" hand and made each set piece an open ended arena. But that makes each combat set piece feel similar.

Yes you can change it up yourself, but who knows best what works great in any of these situations? The player or the designer? I think the designer does. And if all the stuff works great it seems like the designer should put the player into the best position to use each and every thing.

I mean I would loved to use my rope more in some of these set pieces to swing behind enemy positions and sneak up on them or swing and plow enemies over, but the few times I tried it I got detected and shot and it seemed like it wasn't made for that. But if they were more deliberate about their combat design then they could made it so it was something you had to do and was fun and different.

I would have loved more of an opportunity to use nades or for those opportunities to be more clear or purposeful.

I know many will disagree. But multiplayer already takes care of the open ended combat arena design anyway.

gamerMan

Did the boat set piece at the very beginning do it for you guys?

It didn't do it for me to be honest. Just felt really awkward.

I was actually excited for it when I saw it in the trailers, but man was it disappointing. It's another one of those automatic set pieces that sort of plays itself. Simply drive and you will be funneled through the scene. You really can't fail it until you come to the shooting part.

The controls were horrendous and it didn't even feel like the boat was on water. Not only did the water look terrible, it behaved like cloth. I thought that Naughty Dog did better with Crash Bandicoot as the waves felt like waves and the boat moved much more realistically. Plus, it took skill.

maxresdefault.jpg

Just finished.

WOW. I'm floored. The ending
epilogue just had me smiling for a good 30min of me just exploring and reminded me of how a rewarding ending in a video game can be vs a movie. My grin lasted the entire time of me exploring and indulging on the memories of the series and game. From the get-go a contrast of looking how far video games and Naughty Dog, and video games in general, have come. All these moments/memories/objects with these characters that we are able to interact with and reminisce within a beautifully crafted sandbox. What a game.

Bravo. Probably one of the best adventure games ever. Time to play somemore MP and start a crushing run.

zsynqx

More art from the game

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/uncharted-4-art-drop-andrew-maximov?trk=pulse_spock-articles

http://magazine.artstation.com/2016/05/uncharted-4-art-blast/

Characters
Colin Thomas - https://www.artstation.com/artwork/xZkOm
Soa Lee - https://www.artstation.com/artist/soalee
Yibing Jiang - https://www.artstation.com/artist/yibingjiang
Jaehoon Kim - https://www.artstation.com/artist/jaehoon3d
Adam Scott - https://www.artstation.com/artwork/m5kVd
Byunghwa Jung - https://www.artstation.com/artist/bjung
Corey Johnson - https://www.artstation.com/artist/coreyj
Gluaco Longhi - https://www.artstation.com/artwork/KymNr
Frank Tzeng - https://www.artstation.com/artist/frank_tzeng

Environments
Brian Recktenwald - https://www.artstation.com/artist/brianrecktenwald
Anthony Vaccaro - https://www.artstation.com/artist/autocon
Reuben Shah - https://www.artstation.com/artist/remorst
John Schmidt and Jose Vega - https://www.artstation.com/artist/schmidt-vega
Jeremy Huxley - https://www.artstation.com/artist/jeremyh
Andres Rodirgues - https://www.artstation.com/artist/arodz3d
Todd Foster - https://www.artstation.com/artwork/YR9DV
Brian Beppu - https://www.artstation.com/artist/brianbeppu
David Baldwin - https://www.artstation.com/artist/zinged
Max Golosiy - https://www.artstation.com/artist/figureight
Marint Teichman - https://www.artstation.com/artist/mayday
David Budlong - https://www.artstation.com/artist/budlong
Brad Smith - https://www.artstation.com/artist/bradfolio
Henry Cheng - https://www.artstation.com/artwork/JOdqv
Jacob Norris - https://www.artstation.com/artist/purepolygons
Edgar Martinez - https://www.artstation.com/artist/edgar_a_martinez
Jarred Sobbota - https://www.artstation.com/artist/jaredsobotta

Concept
Nick Gindraux - https://www.artstation.com/artist/ngindraux
Eytan Zana - https://www.artstation.com/artwork/YKayb
Aaron Limonick - https://www.artstation.com/artist/limonick
John Sweeney - https://www.artstation.com/artist/johnsweeney
Richard Lyons - https://www.artstation.com/artist/richard_lyons
Ashley Swidowski - https://www.artstation.com/artist/aswidowski
Alex Neonakis - https://www.artstation.com/artist/alexneonakis

Foreground
Mike Hatfield - https://www.artstation.com/artwork/E96V8
Christophe Desse - https://www.artstation.com/artist/christophe-desse
Inkyo Lee - https://www.artstation.com/artist/inkyolee80

Lighting
Leandro Amaral - https://www.artstation.com/artwork/JOdoa

Made another short video, this time on Chapter 12.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5yOM28kZgaE

Wow that's nuts. I wish some of the actual cinematography was this serene, its like a slice of Tree of Life. Man there is so much potential in our medium.

Two random side notes: Swimming in this game is fantastic, the time they throw water into the battle arena its so easy to go in and out and keep the dynamic pace. Briiliant use of diversion.

Second, I can't be the only one to see this, probably why I love Sam so much:

14-12-06-16-39_0_large_u4sam.jpg

Javin98

Banned
Or you could go towards the right, take out all enemies there, go back to the front, take out the three three there, go to the right, take out the dudes by the grass, then the three up top. None of that requires mudsliding whatsoever. Again, figuring out the "puzzle" there was more difficult than it should have been due to the mechanics in place or lack thereof.
If you want to limit your combat options to just one and be uncreative, sure, go ahead. I've tried fiddling around with the AI and it is a lot of fun. But this isn't an open world game from a certain company, so what do I know.

Top Bottom