• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 4: A Thief's End |OT| You're gonna miss this ass

Keihart

Missed opportunity to
have the theme song play over the menu screen
after you beat the game

I agree with you.

Maybe this game needs a real director's cut, with deleted escenes and new editing in general. Just like blade runner or LoTR with added hours of footage

Salz01

That was the worst. They kept teasing the volcano and it never happened. Missed opportunity. Maybe that's the one setpiece that got cut.

This was the worst. I kept expecting it to happen. And it didn't. Such a missed opportunity. It couldn't have been that hard to do.

yeah, that was some of the better ones. To answer you question, yes , i think there were build ups, like every couple of episodes things would start with slow exploration building up from small to bigger encounters with some exploration between and then a big move on the narrative with some action to finish.

The points i remeber best as climaxes after build ups are the prison scape, Nadine fight and escape, Scottland escape, Nadine fight 2 , the madagastar Sam chase and Sam's Rescue. The formula repeats several times over the game.

No vulcano setpiece tho, that was a shame.

Nadine fight 2 worked because she finally reappears, but gameplay-wise there was very little there. Might as well have been a QTE since you couldn't change anything and there wasn't even any firefight in that chapter. Not to mention that it just leads into chapter 16 lol.

Sam's rescue wasn't as well executed as it should've been. Chapter 20's ship graveyard was awesome, but then there is a huge cool down with nothing but platforming at the end of that chapter and for the entirety of chapter 21. A small cooldown was needed, but Chapter 21 was essentially useless.

Madagascar Sam chase was great. Arguably the highlight of the game, but there should've been a nice firefight after the setpiece with such a long cooldown looming in chapter 12 onwards. They jumped straight to the boat though smh

Nadine fight 1 sequence was okay. I felt they could've done more there though. The fight itself was not interesting outside of Nate meeting her. Fight system needed a parry mechanic during those forced 1v1s. Also, part of it was really a stealth tutorial. The bit at the end was good though.

Prison escape was fun, but didn't present any real challenge to the player due to how scripted it was.

The best climax after Chapter 20 was Scottland escape. I actually really loved that part.

Volcano was a huge missed opportunity too :(

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
Game could have used 1 more set piece on the level of the Sam Chase section. Left disappointed that they showed the highlight of the game a year before release.

TBH I hope the DLC is just that, 1 godly set piece.

I think the difference lies in those who need to prove themselves skilled at video games, and those who don't mind this, at least not all the time and just want one hell of a ride. One could say that Uncharted is (demon word coming) casual friendly, but it's not cheap, it excels at what offer to its public.

Something similar happens with God of War, most of the time I hear complains about how the gameplay pales in comparison to Platinum games when I think they go for total different goals.

I think the difference lies in those who need to prove themselves skilled at video games, and those who don't mind this, at least not all the time and just want one hell of a ride. One could say that Uncharted is (demon word coming) casual friendly, but it's not cheap, it excels at what offer to its public.

Something similar happens with God of War, most of the time I hear complains about how the gameplay pales in comparison to Platinum games when I think they go for total different goals.

I love the gameplay in Uncharted games, I just wish the balance in this one was less lopsided throughout the whole experience.

What are you guys talking about? They shut down the volcano right away. First thing they say "it's extinct" and even if it was active, happening to erupt right when we arrive would have been weird.

Keihart

I love the gameplay in Uncharted games, I just wish the balance in this one was less lopsided throughout the whole experience.

I really think that part of it was people that complained about not engouh exploration in the past games. The game really seems to take to heart some of the criticism, wich is kinda of a double edge sword. They fixed a lot of things, but also seem to have restrained a lot of posible cool situations in the game for the sake of consistency.

One minor thing that was annoying was the black and white health indicator, especially on the harder difficulties. I do understand that it's a "gamey" thing and obviously not just limited to Uncharted, but it hurts more here. The game is so beautiful, yet they obscure it so damn much. At the very least they should've removed it from the chapter
setpiece.

What are you guys talking about? They shut down the volcano right away. First thing they say "it's extinct" and even if it was active, happening to erupt right when we arrive would have been weird.

Nah of course that it couldn't be right away, it should be at the end. I know about the "extinct" chat but cmon, that always means the opposite!

Either way, it's not even a minor complain from my part, I can't be dissapointed for something made out in my mind and that I even feel it has no place in the story.

BumRush

I'm in the "I enjoy that there is more exploration and less combat compared to other Uncharted games" camp. I understand why you'd prefer UC2 if you aren't though, but man, this is a dream come true.

Keihart

One minor thing that was annoying was the black and white health indicator, especially on the harder difficulties. I do understand that it's a "gamey" thing and obviously not just limited to Uncharted, but it hurts more here. The game is so beautiful, yet they obscure it so damn much. At the very least they should've removed it from the chapter
setpiece.

hahaha yeah, i kept looking for an option to disable it when i was not doing too hot on some encounters.

EDIT: I remembered just now, WHAT IN THE ACTUAL FUCK, THERE IS NO " at the count of 3" JOKE
Fix that shit in the director's cut.

I'm in the "I enjoy that there is more exploration and less combat compared to other Uncharted games" camp. I understand why you'd prefer UC2 if you aren't though, but man, this is a dream come true.

Count me in the same camp, the game is almost perfect to my taste.

hahaha yeah, i kept looking for an option to disable it when i was not doing too hot on some encounters.

EDIT: I remembered just now, WHAT IN THE ACTUAL FUCK, THERE IS NO " at the count of 3" JOKE

Haha a good one in similar vein is the one in Scotland I think where Nate wants to move an obstacle and ask Sam for help and he told Nate "what if this is the only thing holding the place?" Nate "...then I apologize".

I have to agree with being disappointed by the title screen. It's really boring, and it could have at least used a somber rendition of "Nate's Theme" proper. It worked with The Last of Us (that title screen music is incredible), but it's not doing anything for Uncharted 4.

setpiece.

They should at least offer an option to disable it.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
I unfortunately think the further we get from this release the shine will wear off a bit and when the dust settles the strong consensus will be- amazing game but a a few steps short of goat tier. Ultimately I expect the overwhelming majority to have uc2 as the cream of the uc crop with 4 as the consensus 2nd. That's not to say it isn't an amazing achievement given how high the bar was set, but my initial play through and the reviews and whatnot I thought for sure this was going to be the new benchmark for ND. Uc2>4>>>3=1. I won't rank ga due to controversy given I enjoyed that one quite a bit. I still got tlou as NDs crowning achievement.

What are you guys talking about? They shut down the
volcano
right away.

Where was it relative to the treasure?

If it was right on top of Avery's ship, they could've had it go off during the final/second to last chapter (with having to avoid magma and shit while climbing around), just to drive home how ridiculous it would be to keep going after the treasure, and the final fight could've involved fighting Rafe while maneuvering around the magma engulfing the ship or something.

Then it could seal away the ship/treasure so it wouldn't feel like a "well, they could probably get back in there and get some of that," situation.

I think it wouldn't be weird at all, aside from the ridiculousness of being right next to
magma
without dying

Where was it relative to the treasure?

If it was right on top of Avery's ship, they could've had it go off during the final/second to last chapter (with having to avoid magma and shit while climbing around), just to drive home how ridiculous it would be to keep going after the treasure, and the final fight could've involved fighting Rafe while maneuvering around the magma engulfing the ship or something.

Then it could seal away the ship/treasure so it wouldn't feel like a "well, they could probably get back in there and get some of that," situation.
O_O was there a volcano on the Libertalia island? I was just talking about the one in King's Bay.

I have to agree with being disappointed by the title screen. It's really boring, and it could have at least used a somber rendition of "Nate's Theme" proper. It worked with The Last of Us (that title screen music is incredible), but it's not doing anything for Uncharted 4.

Definitely. I used to chill to the Uncharted 2&3 title screens before starting them up, but Uncharted 4's does nothing for me. They cribbed a little too much from TLoU with this game. Just because it works well in one universe doesn't mean you have to apply it to another, already established one.

For example, that chapter 16
snorefest was shoehorned solely to generate "Left Behind" feels when Uncharted 3 already established a more fitting reason why Nate goes by Drake. Just made me roll my eyes. Could've at least spared us by making it a cutscene.

Lmao

Alucrid

Banned
i wonder if the dance taunts are mocap or fully hand animated. i wouldn't be surprised at the latter when we got the joel-banderas gif

Ultimately I expect the overwhelming majority to have uc2 as the cream of the uc crop with 4 as the consensus 2nd. That's not to say it isn't an amazing achievement given how high the bar was set, but my initial play through and the reviews and whatnot I thought for sure this was going to be the new benchmark for ND. Uc2>4>>>3=1. I won't rank ga due to controversy given I enjoyed that one quite a bit. I still got tlou as NDs crowning achievement.

The difference between these two games for me is that some parts of Uncharted 4 felt like a total chore, when I replayed it like to the point where I was unsure if I even wanted to continue once I hit that 12-16 stretch. I actually enjoyed Uncharted 2 even more on my second playthrough. That game is one hell of a ride.

Definitely. I used to chill to the Uncharted 2&3 title screens before starting them up, but Uncharted 4's does nothing for me. They cribbed a little too much from TLoU with this game. Just because it works well in one universe doesn't mean you have to apply it to another, already established one.

snorefest was shoehorned solely to generate "Left Behind" feels when Uncharted 3 already established a more fitting reason why Nate goes by Drake. Just made me roll my eyes. Could've at least spared us by making it a cutscene.

Lmao

Hah, I used to do the same thing. I was kind of hoping the theme would kick in on the title screen once you completed the game, but alas. :[

Timeaisis

I only felt a finale anywhere near that ridiculous was going to happen before Chapter 12-13-14. After that stretch I lost any hope that the game was going to go big and dumb.
I did still kinda expect a third party to get involved though.

Yeah, I was holding out hope but I should've seen it coming. It feels so weird to want something big and stupid to happen, but that's what I've been coming back for again and again: a playable action movie. Which, parts of U4 still are.

Catdaddy

Great game, UC2 is still my fav of the series, but UC2 set the bar high.

About that ending:
Since it's 12-14 years in the future, I guess this pretty much confirms UC and TLoU aren't in the same universe. If somehow they were, it would be a great single player DLC

dralla

Lmao

What exactly was the reason established in UC3 for Drake's fake name?

I think Uncharted 2 probably has Uncharted 4 beat for pacing, it also has more blockbuster moments and is easier to pick up and play with a lighter, more breezy tone.

Uncharted 4 is my personal favourite because it tells my favourite story, has the best character moments and has stellar encounter design (the best in the series).

General movement, traversal and gunplay all put the previous titles to shame in my opinion.

The ending was pure bliss too.

However, I do think Uncharted 2 will remain the people's champion. For many, pacing is king for this series and Among Thieves really does take the cake in that department.

Uncharted 4 is such a different animal to the original trilogy, it's hard to really compare it to the rest.

But I will say Uncharted 4 apes the beginning of Uncharted 2 (starting half way through the story before jumping back) and doesn't do it nearly as well.

There's an article floating around with a quote from a developer saying that initial sequence was taken out of the middle of the game and put at the start to really grab players, but I think perhaps they should have come up with a different solution.

Keihart

I liked chapter 16, it stablishes the concept of some kind of "fate"
for the family. Like they are the heirs to some legendary explorer's legacy

Like it gives Drake a reason to be so obssesed with treasure more so than money and adrenalin.

It's in some manner like each game is dedicated to some aspect of Drakes life, first would be Elena, second would be Drake's friends, third would be Sully and Fourth Sam.

I might be looking too much into it, but UC4 gives some kind of arc to the whole series in a cool way.

Impulsor

I'm just here to post that I fucking love this game, I'm replaying it for a second time and I can't get enough of it.

That is all.

Great game, UC2 is still my fav of the series, but UC2 set the bar high.

About that ending:
Since it's 12-14 years in the future, I guess this pretty much confirms UC and TLoU aren't in the same universe. If somehow they were, it would be a great single player DLC

Maybe they live on an island because of the outbreak
. /s

Replaying the game I realize there isn't really one section I don't like.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
The difference between these two games for me is that some parts of Uncharted 4 felt like a total chore, when I replayed it like to the point where I was unsure if I even wanted to continue once I hit that 12-16 stretch. I actually enjoyed Uncharted 2 even more on my second playthrough. That game is one hell of a ride.

It was pretty apparent that there would be replayability issues. So much time is spent telling the story and its why they have those long segments of boring platforming or "exploring". On first play it was outstanding. the visuals, the locations, etc. But I really was waiting for more uc2 style set pieces or action and it never quite got there outside of one scene.

The thing that best sums up the tonal shift is the title menu. As many have pointed out the sweeping theme used to play as you were ready to set out on your adventure. In its place we got a silent shot of the game. It worked so well in the last of us in context of the story and the game. It kind of works here but it shifts focus entirely of what the game is actually about. This is clear through gameplay, pacing, story, etc.

Again one of my favorite gaming experiences and very memorable for me, but ultimately it will not top uc2 for me.

Maybe they live on an island because of the outbreak
. /s

Replaying the game I realize there isn't really one section I don't like.

I could easily make an argument in my own mind for
Scotland
being my favourite sequence.

It's probably the slowest stretch of the entire game too.

I could easily make an argument in my own mind for
Scotland
being my favourite sequence.

It's probably the slowest stretch of the entire game too.

I loved that area too. Gave me Ice cave vibes from Uncharted 2 which is one of my favorite sequences in the games. Really dug the platforming and puzzles, and chapter 8 is one of the few chapters to have a number of encounters peppered across it.

12 & 13 were way slower than 8&9. There's only one encounter in 12-13.

Cudder

I see a lot of people saying that the ending was predictable, but
also saying that they expected one of the main heroes to die. Wouldn't the fact that no one significant died make it unpredictable then? Either way,
I loved the game and had a blast playing it from top to bottom. Also really enjoying the multiplayer for the time being til Overwatch comes out.

I totally expected the ending chapters of the game to have
much higher stakes than what was presented. As soon as Elena showed up late in the game and rescued Nate, I totally thought she was going to get kidnapped and taken hostage or something by Rafe, and Nate would have to pick between saving his brother or Elena. Something heavy like that. Elena was the most heartfelt/grounded part of the whole story, the fact that for most of the game she's at home and is unaware of what Nate's doing would've made that decision all the more heartbreaking. Innocent wifey gets kidnapped and is taken hostage and Nate now has to decide between his wife (who is only in that situation because of Nathan), and his brother, who is blood related, but also lied to him to get him to go on this journey.

The way they ended it was fine, but after TLOU, I expected way more gut wrenching, heartbreaking scenes between some of the characters. Some real tension.

dralla

I totally expected the ending chapters of the game to have
much higher stakes than what was presented. As soon as Elena showed up late in the game and rescued Nate, I totally thought she was going to get kidnapped and taken hostage or something by Rafe, and Nate would have to pick between saving his brother or Elena. Something heavy like that. Elena was the most heartfelt/grounded part of the whole story, the fact that for most of the game she's at home and is unaware of what Nate's doing would've made that decision all the more heartbreaking. Innocent wifey gets kidnapped and is taken hostage and Nate now has to decide between his wife (who is only in that situation because of Nathan), and his brother, who is blood related, but also lied to him to get him to go on this journey.

The way they ended it was fine, but after TLOU, I expected way more gut wrenching, heartbreaking scenes between some of the characters. Some real tension.

Elena getting captured falls into the damsel in distress trope and I'm so glad it never happened.

Top Bottom